Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Breakdown of the Polar Cell  (Read 1536 times)

sark

Breakdown of the Polar Cell
« on: March 25, 2019, 01:46:24 AM »
Anybody have any ideas?  I've been looking for a good measure of the cold spinning around 2 cold poles, one over the Canadian Archipelago and one spread out across Siberia.  What's a good way to capture this empirically?

I'm not sure I understand what's being shown by wind vector anomalies in the 850-200mb range.  It does locate along the date line / GMT axis.

Specifically what i'm interested in is the tendency of the ridging from the Pacific and Atlantic  to reach the pole and isolate the two cold pools into two counterclockwise rotating patterns.  Was this dual counterclockwise pattern predicted?  Has it been studied?  I dare ask, is it new?  Is it a function of weather oscillations or purely the polar cell breaking apart in front of our eyes?

Sorry about the size of the gifs.  I'm on LTE myself.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 02:02:00 AM by sark »

Gray-Wolf

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 131
  • Likes Given: 458
Re: Breakdown of the Polar Cell
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 03:47:25 PM »
I've been watching the 'polar night Jet' over the northern winter ( at the 10 Hpa level?) and it appears to have behaved quite 'normally' this past winter?

Instead of splitting into a peanut shaped/dumbbell shaped circulation (with 'arctic plunges' tracing out the deformed circulation?) as we have become used to seeing it stayed pretty central and wind speeds were pretty much as the should be. That said we have still seen cold airs power through the confines of the PNJ and WAA power through it into the basin?

Have we now got to the point the the troposphere will not be bullied by the lower strat?

It is a though we gone from whacked out weathers into normal weather ,just on steroids!
KOYAANISQATSI

ko.yaa.nis.katsi (from the Hopi language), n. 1. crazy life. 2. life in turmoil. 3. life disintegrating. 4. life out of balance. 5. a state of life that calls for another way of living.

VIRESCIT VULNERE VIRTUS

morganism

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 215
  • Likes Given: 124
Re: Breakdown of the Polar Cell
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2019, 10:24:48 PM »
It could be that the RRR, the ridicoulously resilent ridge, is not outgassing as much methane right now, and that is not giving the polar streams the push out and down they have been getting the last 3-4 years.
Maybe related to the arctic warmth, and permafrost melt allowing more mud to flow down rivers, and rebury ocean shelf permafrost and methane hydrates?

https://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php/topic,2185.0.html

There is also supposed to be one of these off the coast of Greenland, tho i don't see it referenced elsewhere.

Rossby Wave blocking in here:

https://rmets.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1002/wea.301

Canadian EPO
https://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/articles/epo-what-you-need-to-know/43796/0