Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Brexit...  (Read 67866 times)

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2051
  • Likes Given: 1988
Re: Brexit...
« Reply #300 on: February 07, 2020, 03:23:45 PM »
Yet again?  ;D
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

blumenkraft

« Reply #301 on: June 06, 2020, 02:12:34 PM »
Still not done!

#justsaying

blumenkraft

« Reply #302 on: June 19, 2020, 08:05:33 AM »
So where are we now? Is there any progress made towards a Brexit?

The transition period ends 31. Jan. 2021. The corona crisis delayed the progress of a schedule that was tight from the beginning. Two of eleven months lost. Six months left.

There is no attempt made towards an extension.

Can the British government hire all those 50k customs officials needed in time? Hell no!

BTW this will be a way bigger workforce than the whole EU bureaucracy is.

The government tells companies to prepare for a no-deal Brexit. But how could they do so, no one knows the rules for post-EU Britain. What replaces the legislation now regulated by the EU? There is nothing.

Britain has stopped obeying (some) EU rules, even though they are still a member as of yet. Not too clever, they are actively weakening their negotiation position by doing so.

Will the European Trumpistas trump Trump?

blumenkraft

« Reply #303 on: June 24, 2020, 03:10:09 PM »
He just wants to stay a European.  ???

Boris Johnson's father to apply for French citizenship

Link >> https://www.euronews.com/2020/03/22/boris-johnson-s-father-to-apply-for-french-citizenship

SATire

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 34
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #304 on: June 29, 2020, 10:44:11 AM »
Brexit is done. UK will not ask for extension of negotiation thus there will be no serious negotiations anymore - time is out. EU has gotten its money, the rights for EU citicens in UK and a contract about Irish boarder, Brexit done from EU side. We will see how much we can rely on a contract from UK government, since they can not remember the words in that contract anymore: Where is that tax boarder now? Nobody will feel it or see it but it is firmly there... 

But all that does not matter. There will be a show and some drama but Corona makes more impact. Boris can rely on the fact that complex details are ignored and any hard times will be forgotten soon.
Source: https://www.zeit.de/politik/ausland/2020-06/brexit-verhandlungen-grossbritannien-eu-boris-johnson-freihandelsabkommen

blumenkraft

« Reply #305 on: July 03, 2020, 07:57:27 AM »
Holy cow, the UK just stole a billion from Venezuela.  >:(

UK court denies Venezuela's Maduro access to gold in bank vault

Link >> https://www.aljazeera.com/ajimpact/uk-court-denies-venezuela-maduro-access-gold-bank-vault-200702105839889.html

blumenkraft

« Reply #306 on: July 04, 2020, 10:12:30 AM »
Is this is why the UK became a thief?

Brexit will have cost the UK more than £200 billion in lost economic growth by the end of this year — a figure which almost eclipses the total amount the UK will have paid towards the EU budget over the past 47 years.

According to research by Bloomberg Economics, the cost of the UK's vote to leave has already reached £130 billion, with a further £70 billion likely to be added by the end of 2020.

Link >> https://outline.com/YPmPGy

Paddy

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 153
  • Likes Given: 151
« Reply #307 on: July 08, 2020, 11:11:00 AM »
@Blumenkraft,

I'm no fan of Brexit nor the current UK administration, but the gold isn't being taken for use by Britain.  It's a frozen account, not a stolen one.

And speaking of administrations that I'm not a fan of, did you know that Venezuela has the highest rate of homicide by security forces in the world ?  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_killings_by_law_enforcement_officers_by_country

blumenkraft

« Reply #308 on: July 08, 2020, 11:39:25 AM »
Sorry, Paddy, but i can't make a logical connection to why the homicide rate in any given country would be grounds for withholding (stealing? semantics?) money.

If you want to open a "Police violence in Venezuala" thread i'm the very last person standing in your way.

Paddy

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: July 08, 2020, 12:08:23 PM »
Sorry, Paddy, but i can't make a logical connection to why the homicide rate in any given country would be grounds for withholding (stealing? semantics?) money.

The issue is that the legitimacy of the current administration in Venezuela is in doubt.  See here for more of the dubiousness at the last election: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_Venezuelan_presidential_election

Extrajudicial killings by death squads to suppress opposition is part of that story: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-venezuela-security-un/killings-torture-still-going-on-in-venezuela-u-n-rights-chief-idUSKCN1VU1IB

blumenkraft

« Reply #310 on: July 08, 2020, 12:21:32 PM »
Paddy, i'm an anti-interventionist in this case. I'm aware some nations 'don't recognize' the democratic election results but i don't recognize their non-recognition. ;)

Britain withholding this money is arbitrary; a mallicious act. I really don't think stealing is too much of a strong wording. But i regress it if you feel uncomfortable with it. The news is out there, everyone can make up their own mind.

Paddy

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: July 08, 2020, 12:31:03 PM »
Paddy, i'm an anti-interventionist in this case. I'm aware some nations 'don't recognize' the democratic election results but i don't recognize their non-recognition. ;)

Britain withholding this money is arbitrary; a mallicious act. I really don't think stealing is too much of a strong wording. But i regress it if you feel uncomfortable with it. The news is out there, everyone can make up their own mind.

The fact that we're arguing about this sanction on a thread about Brexit when sanctions were explicitly called for by the European Parliament among others is rather amusing :-)

Here's a map of which countries do and don't recognise the results of this less than democratic election, btw: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:2018_Venezuelan_presidential_election_recognition_map.svg

ajouis

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 55
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #312 on: July 08, 2020, 02:17:04 PM »

The fact that we're arguing about this sanction on a thread about Brexit when sanctions were explicitly called for by the European Parliament among others is rather amusing :-)

Here's a map of which countries do and don't recognise the results of this less than democratic election, btw: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:2018_Venezuelan_presidential_election_recognition_map.svg
Sanctions only if the treaty was unlawfully broken, otherwise a return to wto style trade and repayments for the money already engaged, which is normal after breaking a contract, not equal to just withholding someone's sovereign money on a basis that is not legal under international law, it would have been if sanctions had been voted prior, but alas
After a thousand steps on the ice, it cracked.
The Man looked down at the infinite blue of the sea.
On the horizon, standing still, the polar bear had just scented his next meal.

Less than 3000 cubic kilometers this Piomas minimum.

Paddy

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: July 08, 2020, 02:47:48 PM »
Sanctions only if the treaty was unlawfully broken, otherwise a return to wto style trade and repayments for the money already engaged, which is normal after breaking a contract, not equal to just withholding someone's sovereign money on a basis that is not legal under international law, it would have been if sanctions had been voted prior, but alas

What treaty are you referring to?  There have been escalating EU sanctions in place since 2017: https://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/policies/venezuela/

Also, as the originally linked Al Jazeera article pointed out, the issue is that there are two opposing figures both claiming the title of president of Venezuela, and they are asking for opposite things to be done with that money.  And since the British gvt (like every EU gvt, among many others) does not recognise Maduro as president of Venezuela, the judiciary aren't going to give him Venezuela's money.

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2051
  • Likes Given: 1988
« Reply #314 on: July 08, 2020, 02:58:30 PM »
While Maduro was actually elected.

IIRC there is a Venezuela thread somewhere below where all the non brexit stuff could go.
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

ajouis

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 55
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #315 on: July 08, 2020, 03:35:20 PM »
paddy as it was a Brexit thread I assumed you were talking about europeans sanctions vis a vis the uk, only in this context does my above comment apply
After a thousand steps on the ice, it cracked.
The Man looked down at the infinite blue of the sea.
On the horizon, standing still, the polar bear had just scented his next meal.

Less than 3000 cubic kilometers this Piomas minimum.

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5304
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #316 on: July 10, 2020, 05:10:47 PM »
paddy as it was a Brexit thread I assumed you were talking about europeans sanctions vis a vis the uk, only in this context does my above comment apply
Look mate, this 'ere is the brexit fred. Those bloody EUcrats are gonna put a big tax on our exports of cheese and we will have to pay more for their bloody oranges, and pay a fortune to drink English beer in benidorm. How much more can a true blue Honky Englishman take from these bloody furriners?
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

BeeKnees

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 338
  • Likes Given: 335
« Reply #317 on: July 10, 2020, 08:50:02 PM »
The EU document on the impact of brexit with or without a deal is a tough read.

Especially for the quitlings.

https://ec.europa.eu/info/sites/info/files/brexit_files/info_site/com_2020_324_2_communication_from_commission_to_inst_en_0.pdf
The Russian State has embarked on a genocide of Ukrainians that is supported by the owner of this forum

RealityCheck

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 45
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #318 on: July 18, 2020, 09:33:25 AM »
The EU document on the impact of brexit with or without a deal is a tough read.

Especially for the quitlings.

...and for their immediate neighbours to the West. As Emperor Palpatine might say: "Everything is proceeding exactly as I have foreseen." Unfortunately.
Sic transit gloria mundi

Paddy

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: July 18, 2020, 09:59:24 AM »
 It is all very predictably disastrous, yes.

blumenkraft

« Reply #320 on: July 19, 2020, 12:33:05 PM »
Chlorinated Chicken and "Selling" the NHS: Does the UK Want A Deal With America? - TLDR News

blumenkraft

« Reply #321 on: July 20, 2020, 12:58:16 PM »
People who voted to have their face eaten by leopards now protest that their face is being eaten by leopards.

Paddy

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: July 20, 2020, 01:12:24 PM »
People who voted to have their face eaten by leopards now protest that their face is being eaten by leopards.

They were conned by dishonest people who appealed to their patriotism re "control of our borders" etc and/or promising a goldilocks Brexit where we'd somehow get a better deal out than in and/or predicting the total collapse of the EU based on the struggles of the Greek and Italian economies.

They were conned. The challenge was and is to convince them of that without alienating them further / further dividing the country. It's not been easy, however, due to confirmation bias etc.

blumenkraft

« Reply #323 on: July 20, 2020, 01:41:42 PM »
Yes, Paddy. They where conned. I agree.

It takes two to tango though...

igs

« Reply #324 on: July 20, 2020, 08:30:48 PM »
You are both wrong, a good analogy BK and a good reply Paddy but then as long as some of us refuse to accept that not all humans are equal, some are easy to be conned and others can hardly be conned to say it nicely and the least, nothing will change.

Even Global Warming is in big parts happening because everyone has the right to lease a 500 HP 2000kg vehicle for fun and a second one for his wife and even more fun for all the kids.

It does not work like this, those who think will be pulled down and those who don't think will never ever be able to sustain a healty raise without big luck and I'm happy for the lucky few.

EDIT:
Looking at the varioius motives of the "conned" I often can't feel really sorry, greed and envy are among the most frequent reasons and competitive thinking come immediately after that.

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: July 28, 2020, 05:42:29 PM »
Some will say that because the quote below is from the Guardian - the report is fundamentally biased. But
- the report is from the LSE (no longer a bastion of left wing intellectuals),
- and also includes and uses  data from the CBI (not noted for containing many pinko lefties)

Little Britain is going to get little-er.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/jul/28/brexit-will-deliver-double-shock-to-uk-economy-study-finds-coronavirus
Brexit will deliver double shock to UK economy, study finds

Exclusive: LSE report says even sectors unscathed from coronavirus crisis will be severely affected

The LSE report says Brexit will deliver a double shock to the economy – with business conditions worsening for those sectors that have survived the impact of coronavirus and lockdown measures – whether Boris Johnson secures a deal with the EU or not.

The analysis, seen by the Guardian before its publication on Wednesday, includes information from a monthly survey of Confederation of British Industry members.

“Our analysis shows that the sectors that will be affected by Brexit and those that are suffering from the Covid-19 pandemic and lockdown are generally different from each other,” said Swati Dhingra, an economics professor who co-authored the report.

A “simultaneous impact” from Brexit and coronavirus will be felt across the business spectrum from the autumn when the chancellor Rishi Sunak’s pandemic policies aimed at supporting the unemployed end and the new trading environment for the UK outside the EU begins to bite, the research finds.

The report, Covid-19 and Brexit: Real-Time Updates on Business Performance in the United Kingdom by the LSE’s Centre for Economic Performance, shows sectors that entail more human contact – including hospitality, air travel, restaurants, hotels, and arts and entertainment – have been the hardest hit by the pandemic.

The affect on other sectors such as the scientific industries, professional services, including accountancy and legal services, and publishing has been less severe because they can continue to operate with staff working from home.

But Brexit will impose barriers on those trading goods or services with the EU, whether it is pharmaceutical companies seeking regulatory approval, banks or services needing to transfer data from servers in the bloc or car manufacturers or clothes importers being required to fill in customs declarations for the first time in decades.

The report points out that as far back as 2017 the government announced that Brexit would be guided by impact assessments across sectors; it has provided detailed analysis in only 10 sectors to date.

...various sectors have warned of hardship coming down the tracks. The manufacturing body Make UK warned that more than half of the manufacturing sector was planning redundancies when the business support schemes ended.

The LSE report urges the government to put in place an industrial strategy that “must reflect” the cold reality of “being in a post-Brexit UK which is placed in a post-Covid world economy” in which global trade shrinks.

“biggest slowdown of our lifetime” said Josh de Lyon

Pmt111500

« Reply #326 on: August 05, 2020, 04:23:20 PM »
Sorry folks but...

Dog + Coffee + Laptop = DISASTER.

Laptop may not be repairable and as my budget does not run to a new laptop that's me out of action indefinitely.ĺ

Condolences, crossposting here as there might be britons with surplus laptops... Hope the files can be salvaged, or maybe they were in a cloud already.

igs

« Reply #327 on: August 06, 2020, 01:22:16 AM »
Sorry folks but...

Dog + Coffee + Laptop = DISASTER.

Laptop may not be repairable and as my budget does not run to a new laptop that's me out of action indefinitely.ĺ

Condolences, crossposting here as there might be britons with surplus laptops... Hope the files can be salvaged, or maybe they were in a cloud already.

BTW Gero, the harddrive should still be intact even if the motherboard melted or short circuited.

means if you don't have a backup and get your new machine which looks certain, just dont throw the old machine away without extracting the Hard-Drive or SSD and let someone extract your data.

Also you can buy a USB case that fits to any HD/SSD and can be used as an external drive and/or to extract data from any formerly built-in HD/SSD.

In case of doubt and/or in case of high costs I can easily do that for you, all equipment in house but then for the cost of a courier back and forth you can certainly recover your data locally.

Pmt111500

« Reply #328 on: August 06, 2020, 07:57:49 AM »
Note that the fundriser goal for Gerontocrat's new laptop has been met. If you want to donate to something else, please consider donating to Neven via the blog Paypal account. There's no dog involvement there but anyway a worthy and icy cause.

nanning

• Nilas ice
  • 0Kg CO₂, 37 KWh/wk,125L H₂O/wk, No offspring
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 273
  • Likes Given: 23170
« Reply #329 on: September 10, 2020, 05:36:10 PM »
Publications across EU condemn Boris Johnson’s plans to ‘disapply’ parts of withdrawal agreement
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/sep/10/depressing-frustrating-and-shocking-european-press-on-uk-brexit-move
  by Jon Henley

(whole article without links)
Aghast European media have accused Boris Johnson of “denying reality”, “justifying the unjustifiable” and “trashing his country’s reputation” after the government unveiled Brexit plans that the EU believes breach international law.

“A contract is a contract? Not for Boris Johnson,” wrote Germany’s Der Spiegel of the UK’s internal market bill, which would give ministers sweeping powers to “disapply” parts of the withdrawal agreement the prime minister signed in January.

The UK’s chief negotiator, David Frost, may call for more realism from the EU, the magazine said. “That’s funny. Because on the EU side, we have long been wondering how to stay realistic in the face of a negotiating partner who adjusts reality weekly.”

The latest British proposal to disregard parts of the Northern Ireland protocol was “depressing, frustrating and shocking – but not really surprising, because when it comes to Northern Ireland, Boris Johnson is a repeat offender”, it said.

Having rejected the backstop agreed by his predecessor then hailed as a triumph what was in fact a major concession to the EU, the prime minister promised Northern Irish business it had nothing to fear – despite a binding international agreement.

“With his latest U-turn, Johnson shows again that he simply makes the world as he likes it,” Der Spiegel concluded. “But he should consider one thing: denial of reality may be a renewable resource, especially worldwide. Patience and trust are not.”

Die Welt said Johnson’s plans to use national legislation to undermine the withdrawal agreement, while insisting he would rather fail to reach an agreement than compromise with the EU, marked a new level of provocation.

“Breaking an international treaty would take Johnson’s well-known bulldozer mentality to new heights,” the paper said, suggesting he was caving in to Tory hardliners and counting on Covid-19 to cover the economic damage of no deal.

In France, Libération said it was now official: “The democratic government of a country respected throughout the world for its legal rigour has proposed to include in its national legislation non-compliance with international law.”

The paper noted the absurdity of the government’s claim the withdrawal agreement had been “negotiated in haste”, pointing out that it had been signed three and a half years after the referendum and formed the basis of Johnson’s election campaign.

“But what is his strategy?” it asked. “Does he want to push the EU to abandon negotiations on a trade agreement and then be able to blame it for the talks’ failure? Or does he think this shocking move will push Brussels to more compromise?”

Either way, it was only to be expected from a prime minister who barely a year ago “tried to justify the unjustifiable when he illegally suspended parliament”. He has “repeatedly shown that his reputation, and that of his country, do not bother him”.

Le Monde, too, wondered whether the government’s latest move was “an attempt to pressure the Europeans to secure a favourable deal before the year-end, or a deliberate move aimed at provoking the breakdown of the talks”.

Brexit was reaching its endgame, the paper said, and for London, negotiating a deal meant limiting the negative consequences of Britain’s decision. It preferred to put its head in the sand, “even if that means trashing the reputation of the United Kingdom”.

The Dutch newspaper NRC Handelsblad said the internal market bill was “clearly in breach of the agreements he made less than a year ago with the EU”.

After firing Tory MPs who disagreed with him and illegally suspending parliament, violating an international treaty is, it seems, another dodgy tool in the PM’s box that he “considers necessary to finally settle Brexit and remain in power”.

It is all part of his “beloved chaos theory”, aimed at creating “maximum pressure and maximum commotion” and eventually giving him what he wants – whatever that is.

Spain’s El País said no one could yet say whether Johnson’s bid to allow the UK to unilaterally modify the agreement was “just another barbaric negotiating ploy”.

The government may insist that it is “acting in good faith” and aims only to “connect the dots and avoid legal loopholes”. But Johnson is plainly not backing down from his decision, “which has poisoned the already tense climate of the talks … Everything suggests that this time, he has gone too far.”

--------

EU tells UK: drop Brexit plans to break law or face sanctions
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/sep/10/fears-grow-that-uk-is-preparing-to-quit-brexit-talks
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly" - Bertrand Russell
"It is preoccupation with what other people from your groups think of you, that prevents you from living freely and nobly" - Nanning
Why do you keep accumulating stuff?

RealityCheck

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: September 12, 2020, 08:05:07 AM »
And after the ultimatum from the EU, the UK government promptly said...3 guesses... 'No'. Surprise, surprise.
The last series of governments have collectively dragged the UK people  and economy down a dark hole, like life imitating art, 'Alice in Wonderland'. Or maybe the Pied Piper is a better metaphor. I predict one helluva hangover after the Brexit parties are over...
Sic transit gloria mundi

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
  • Don't Vote NatC or PopCon, Save Lives!
    • View Profile
    • The Arctic sea ice Great White Con
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 87
« Reply #331 on: September 12, 2020, 02:18:06 PM »
The latest British proposal to disregard parts of the Northern Ireland protocol was “depressing, frustrating and shocking – but not really surprising, because when it comes to Northern Ireland, Boris Johnson is a repeat offender”, it said.

Nancy Pelosi put it this way:

https://twitter.com/SpeakerPelosi/status/1303815868011380744

The Good Friday Agreement is the bedrock of peace in Northern Ireland.  If the U.K. violates its international agreements & Brexit undermines the Good Friday accord, there will be absolutely no chance of a U.S.-U.K. trade agreement passing the Congress.

See also Nancy's live feed of the current G7 virtual meeting:

https://www.facebook.com/NancyPelosi/live
"The most revolutionary thing one can do always is to proclaim loudly what is happening" - Rosa Luxemburg

crandles

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 239
  • Likes Given: 81
« Reply #332 on: September 13, 2020, 11:57:18 AM »

Paddy

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: September 13, 2020, 12:32:37 PM »

Paddy

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: September 15, 2020, 12:09:14 AM »
Now the Johnson administration have pushed a bill through to a second reading that directly contravenes the international agreement they signed less than a year ago. Allegedly it's to stop the EU blockading food shipments from one part of the UK to another... except that it does nothing to address that specific, highly unlikely scenario.

So sick and tired of these clowns.

RealityCheck

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: September 15, 2020, 01:33:26 PM »
Now the Johnson administration have pushed a bill through to a second reading that directly contravenes the international agreement they signed less than a year ago. Allegedly it's to stop the EU blockading food shipments from one part of the UK to another... except that it does nothing to address that specific, highly unlikely scenario.

Classic straw man fallacy. Boris has built his career on it. The Pied Piper continues to lure his nation over  a cliff.
Sic transit gloria mundi

nanning

• Nilas ice
  • 0Kg CO₂, 37 KWh/wk,125L H₂O/wk, No offspring
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 273
  • Likes Given: 23170
« Reply #336 on: September 15, 2020, 05:52:21 PM »
"The nation" consists of voters who are mostly in the news/info bubble of the billionaire press/media. That news/info makes their believe systems; where to focus on; their world view. These voters know no better because there is no independent outside 'alternative world view' source anymore that reaches them. The BBC today is not the BBC of old.
The metaphorical Pied Piper is Rupert Murdoch and his ilk. Australia has the same problem.
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly" - Bertrand Russell
"It is preoccupation with what other people from your groups think of you, that prevents you from living freely and nobly" - Nanning
Why do you keep accumulating stuff?

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #337 on: September 15, 2020, 06:06:31 PM »
Australia has the same problem
Some people don't believe that Australia even exists.

https://skeptoid.com/episodes/4745

EDIT: This is how bad the problem of misinformation among people c2020 is.

RealityCheck

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: September 15, 2020, 11:03:26 PM »
Lest we be under any illusion as to what this current debacle represents:
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/sep/15/boris-johnson-brexit-swindle-ireland-eurosceptic-good-friday-agreement
The Good Friday Agreement was won by the sweat, tears and toil of visionary leaders from Ireland, England, the US and Europe. In some most honourable cases, e.g. John Hume, in the face of hostility and vicious opprobrium. Now Mr Johnson is willing to cast it all to the wind, hoping the feathers of fate land in his favour. He will be sorely disappointed. His legacy will be one of destruction of trust, undermining of a fragile peace, and destabilising of a tinderbox of sectarian greviances. The anger in Ireland can not be overstated.
Sic transit gloria mundi

RealityCheck

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: October 01, 2020, 06:49:56 PM »
The EU takes action over the UK Brexit Bill.
EU formally warns UK of legal action over Brexit deal ‘good faith’ breaches (via @IrishTimes) https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/eu-formally-warns-uk-of-legal-action-over-brexit-deal-good-faith-breaches-1.4369385
Time is now fast evaporating. A bare bones Brexit deal is the best case outcome, and 15th Oct is the practical deadline, at least unless EU leaders agree to a later summit to ratify a deal. If it all falls apart, expect Tories to blame the UK Govt, and vice versa. If a miserable deal is agreed, expect loud triumphant baloney from UK Govt, and grim-faced acceptance from the EU. And expect lots of disruption either way.
Meanwhile Ireland's Taoiseach (Prime Minister) is addressing today's EU summit on the impact of Brexit on Ireland, as the worst affected country.
Sic transit gloria mundi

Paddy

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: October 03, 2020, 05:24:37 PM »
If it all falls apart, expect Tories to blame the UK Govt, and vice versa.

If only.

RealityCheck

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: October 03, 2020, 09:04:11 PM »
Yeah, should read Tories/UK Govt to blame EU,and vice versa; and  'Irish Govt' to blame UK govt, of course 😁
Sic transit gloria mundi

RealityCheck

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: October 08, 2020, 09:28:43 AM »
Irish Times journalist Emma de Souza eloquently expresses the frustration in Northern Ireland with the Brexit situation. The vital principle of Consent in the Peace Process and Belfast Agreement has been utterly sidelined. As a party, the Tories show all the signs of not 'getting it' when it comes to NI, and worse, not giving a damn... 'Those who fail to learn from history are condemned to repeat it', and that is the core worry for all on this island - like me -who reject violence.

Northern Irish voices silenced as Brexit babble reaches crescendo (via @IrishTimes) https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/northern-irish-voices-silenced-as-brexit-babble-reaches-crescendo-1.4373770
Sic transit gloria mundi

RealityCheck

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: October 12, 2020, 09:42:59 AM »
The linked article is a thoughtful plea for sanity by a Tory party member who has better insight than most of his colleagues...
Simon Hoare: ‘I hope UK and Ireland have not gone past the point of no return’ (via @IrishTimes) https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/simon-hoare-i-hope-uk-and-ireland-have-not-gone-past-the-point-of-no-return-1.4376540
Sic transit gloria mundi

RealityCheck

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: October 16, 2020, 02:18:02 PM »
'And there you have it, folks!' As foreseen...
Johnson says 'Prepare for no-deal Brexit'. It's all the EU's fault, of course.
http://www.rte.ie/news/brexit/2020/1016/1171889-brexit-uk-eu
Sic transit gloria mundi

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: October 16, 2020, 02:57:58 PM »
“I concluded that we should get ready for 1 January with arrangements that are more like Australia’s....." Boris

Like Australia...
-In thrall to coal & gas,
-Climate science denial,
-Wildfires and massive destruction of habitat,
-Mismanagement of water resources (Murray-Darling basin)
- Overt and covert prejudice and actions against the indigenous population,
- incarceration of refugees in prison camps overseas.

But I am sure the UK can do better than that.

Paddy

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: October 16, 2020, 03:50:08 PM »
'And there you have it, folks!' As foreseen...
Johnson says 'Prepare for no-deal Brexit'. It's all the EU's fault, of course.
http://www.rte.ie/news/brexit/2020/1016/1171889-brexit-uk-eu

I wish it made more sense visavis both family and career for me to get out of the benighted UK...

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #347 on: October 16, 2020, 05:02:53 PM »
Paddy:
But where would you go?

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: October 16, 2020, 07:10:25 PM »
Meanwhile, the suggestion is that this is Boris' cunning plan.

He has said unless the EU changes the UK is going for no deal. What bravery, what machismo!!

He demanded that Michel Barnier comes to London on Monday - even though Barnier had already said he was coming on Monday.

The EU then throws Boris a well chewed and meat-free bone (sometime next week).

Boris then trumpets about how he has bent the EU to his will. (The EU says, privately, "Whatever", sigh.)

Some sort of fudge gets agreed by mid-November - the sort of compromise that nobody likes and sets up problems down the line.

January 1st sees several thousand lorries parked in Kent, ditto in Calais.

Soon after Boris seeks to break a key provision in the UK / EU Trade deal - it's what he does.

Support for Scottish independence at highest ever level: Poll
No poll since March has shown a lead for No.

By ANDREW MCDONALD 10/14/20, 3:08 PM CET Updated 10/14/20, 6:26 PM CET
Support for Scottish independence is at the highest level ever recorded, according to a new poll.

The poll, by Ipsos MORI, found that 58 percent of people in Scotland who have made up their mind would vote Yes, with 42 percent saying they would vote No. That's the highest level of support for Scottish independence that has ever been recorded.

RealityCheck

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: October 16, 2020, 07:52:08 PM »
Meanwhile, the suggestion is that this is Boris' cunning plan....etc
Yup, he will try (ineptly and very transparently) to 'force' the EU to 'concede to UK demands', etc. Expect more melodramatic brinksmanship and arm-waving from various Brexity folks. And after some chaos in the new year, a 'victory' will be claimed in the name of Sovereignty, etc. And then, in 12 to 18 months, expect a growing series of quietly issued reports to confirm the economic catastrophe that has been self-inflicted - but will never be admitted.

I tell you, the only thing Orwell got wrong was the year.
Sic transit gloria mundi