Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Brexit...  (Read 67244 times)

Paddy

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 153
  • Likes Given: 151
Re: Brexit...
« Reply #350 on: October 16, 2020, 08:42:16 PM »
Paddy:
But where would you go?

I was looking at Switzerland... But probs will stay put for now.

RealityCheck

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 45
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #351 on: October 16, 2020, 11:32:32 PM »
Paddy:
But where would you go?

I was looking at Switzerland... But probs will stay put for now.

Nah, too insular (IMO). Come to Ireland. Once this covid thing is done, hopefully without much further harm to people, we'll get back to being a great place to live. I personally recommend Cork. The way we think is this: the real map of Ireland has 2 zones: Cork, and not-Cork. 'Sure, why would  you want to live anywhere else, boy?' 😁
Sic transit gloria mundi

RealityCheck

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: October 16, 2020, 11:34:38 PM »
(You have to hear the last bit in a Cork accent...😁)
Sic transit gloria mundi

RealityCheck

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: October 16, 2020, 11:39:13 PM »
Sic transit gloria mundi

Paddy

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: October 17, 2020, 10:05:29 AM »
I have a friend who did a post-doc at Cork university. I did enjoy it when I visited. Could do a lot worse.

RealityCheck

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: October 18, 2020, 07:04:39 AM »
I have a friend who did a post-doc at Cork university. I did enjoy it when I visited. Could do a lot worse.
;D
Sic transit gloria mundi

RealityCheck

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: October 20, 2020, 12:12:00 AM »
Ok, I give up. Can someone explain the rationale for the latest antics? I can't... My 'weird-shit-o-meter' has leaped up a few.notches. Is Johnson incapable of rational decision making?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/oct/19/brexit-gove-praises-constructive-move-as-eu-agrees-to-intensify-talks
Sic transit gloria mundi

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5289
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #357 on: October 20, 2020, 10:16:08 PM »
Ok, I give up. Can someone explain the rationale for the latest antics? I can't... My 'weird-shit-o-meter' has leaped up a few.notches. Is Johnson incapable of rational decision making?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/oct/19/brexit-gove-praises-constructive-move-as-eu-agrees-to-intensify-talks
Marina Hyde in the Guardian explains it all

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/oct/20/brexit-gove-no-deal-internal-borders
Why worry about no-deal Brexit? If Gove says it'll be better that's good enough for me
Marina Hyde

Internal borders, criminals on the loose – this is the utopia we’ve dreamed of. Who needs fresh vegetables anyway?

read on....
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

RealityCheck

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: October 23, 2020, 01:29:27 PM »
Insightful lady, Ms. Hyde. 😁
Sic transit gloria mundi

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: December 08, 2020, 01:29:10 PM »
Another little nibble at the City of London's status as a major financial centre

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2020/dec/08/commonwealth-bank-australia-move-european-hq-london-amsterdam-brexit
Commonwealth Bank of Australia to move European HQ out of London

Relocation to Amsterdam will give better access to European markets ‘regardless of Brexit outcome’

Commonwealth Bank of Australia has said it will move its European headquarters from London to Amsterdam in the coming months after Britain’s departure from the EU.

The departure comes despite declarations by the UK’s prime minister, Boris Johnson, that the British economy would “thrive” with an “Australian-style” trade deal with the EU, which many describe as a euphemism for a no-deal crash out of the bloc.

Expected to be operational in the first half of 2021, the new Dutch office will help CBA to continue supporting European clients “regardless of the outcome of Brexit”, the bank said in a statement.

“Our new European head office will also enable us to share valuable international insights with our Australian clients.”

CBA will employ about 50 people in Amsterdam by June, its European director, Wilco Hendriks, told the Dutch financial daily FD, while its London office would remain open with a four times bigger staff.

“Amsterdam is the perfect choice for CBA to support its institutional clients based in Europe and offers a talented, multilingual workforce as well as a thriving fintech ecosystem,” the institutional banking and markets executive, Andrew Hinchliff, said in the bank’s statement.

“We’re currently working closely with our clients domiciled in Europe to make the transition as seamless and smooth as possible.”

Since Britain voted to leave the EU in 2016, a range of businesses in finance, information technology, media and health have moved their head offices from London to Amsterdam.

Financial services were legally obliged to be ready for a no-deal Brexit from the first date of that possibility, 29 March 2019, which meant if they offered services in an EU member state they must be licensed in a member state.

Some of the bigger firms, such as HSBC, have large operations in the UK but also in Paris, while others opened operations in Frankfurt, Dublin, Luxembourg and Amsterdam.

The European Medicines Agency has relocated to Amsterdam, with the loss of 900 jobs in London, and the European Banking Authority moved to Paris in 2019.

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #360 on: December 08, 2020, 08:25:33 PM »
Another leave campaigner ditches the UK...
The sheer hypocrisy of these scumbags.....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55236852
Sir Jim Ratcliffe confirms new car to be made in France

Billionaire Sir Jim Ratcliffe, a Leave campaigner in the run-up to the 2016 Brexit referendum, has confirmed a new 4x4 car will be built in France.
It ends slims hopes the vehicle, modelled on the original Land Rover, would be made at a new plant in Wales.

Plans to build it in Wales were put on hold in July while Mr Ratcliffe's Ineos Automotive negotiated buying Mercedes-Benz's Hambach site, in Moselle.

He said on Tuesday that Hambach offered a "unique opportunity".

Mr Ratcliffe, who built his fortune heading the chemicals company Ineos, added that the plant in Moselle was "a modern automotive manufacturing facility with a world-class workforce".

"Ineos Automotive set out a vision to build the world's best utilitarian 4x4, and at our new home in Hambach, we will do just that," he said.

'Crushing blow'
When plans to build the vehicle, called the Grenadier, at Bridgend, south Wales, were first announced, Mr Ratcliffe said it was "a significant expression of confidence in British manufacturing".

It was hoped the factory would create up to 500 jobs, producing about 25,000 Grenadiers a year, once fully up and running.

Chris Elmore, MP for the Ogmore constituency in Bridgend, tweeted that Tuesday's decision was a "crushing blow" for the area.

"The highly-skilled and dedicated workforce in Ogmore, Bridgend and surrounding areas would have risen to the challenge," he wrote.

"That Brexit is clearly a major factor at play is a bitter pill to swallow. Ineos owner Sir Jim Ratcliffe was a vocal Brexiteer, loudly proclaiming the benefits of leaving the EU. Today, we can see his claims are as hollow as his promises."

The 4x4 Grenadier is modelled on the original Land Rover

Paddy

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: December 09, 2020, 10:55:51 AM »
Excellent summary of the mad saga of Brexit so far: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/dec/08/codpieces-zeppelins-best-brexit

"David Cameron’s referendum on EU membership was intended to “settle the issue for a generation”. Since then, Britain has been trapped in a midsummer night’s scream that has lasted four and a half years, and has not technically actually even begun. We must hope the way to the sunlit uplands is via shit creek – because that’s certainly the direction we took. Still, as we sit and wait for deal or no deal, let’s take a look at Brexit’s best bits.

At one point, Michael Howard threatened war with Spain. On another occasion, a Ukip leader wrote to the Queen to inform her she had committed treason when she signed the Maastricht treaty. A thinktank suggested the Irish border issue could be resolved with zeppelins – the only problem being, they were insanely expensive and entirely weather-dependent. During one of the “meaningful votes” – sorry, no idea – an MP intoned to parliament: “This is a turd of a deal, which has now been taken away and polished, and is now a polished turd. But it might be the best turd that we’ve got.”

Preposterous people became a thing. Throbbing forehead vein Mark Francois compared a mild letter from the Airbus CEO with Rommel’s Atlantic wall defences. Steve Baker uttered the words: “Everybody knows I’m Brexit hardman Steve Baker.” Boris Johnson uttered the words “Fuck business.”

It was announced that a “major Hollywood studio” was turning Arron Banks’s Bad Boys of Brexit book into a $60m, six-part TV drama, which would have made it one of the most expensive shows then on TV. Kevin Spacey was tipped to play Farage. (Probably worth going back to him now.)
"

Satire is dead.

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: December 09, 2020, 04:26:32 PM »
I forgot one thing wnen posting above
"Another leave campaigner ditches the UK...
The sheer hypocrisy of these scumbags.....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55236852
Sir Jim Ratcliffe confirms new car to be made in France"

Sir James Ratcliffe owns INEOS and made a big bet on UK fracking and lost a pile of money.
I smell a case of "You won't let me do my fracking here so I'm taking my marbles away"

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1012
  • Likes Given: 1034
« Reply #363 on: December 10, 2020, 11:39:41 AM »
.. and N.Ireland has been thrown out of Brexshit Britain .. lucky us ! b.c.
Conflict is the root of all evil , for being blind it does not see whom it attacks . Yet it always attacks the Son Of God , and the Son of God is you .

RealityCheck

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: December 13, 2020, 12:10:37 PM »
I am fed up watching Brexit play out in the way I had hoped it wouldn't, but feared it would.

So, in case we forget to laugh at the madness, I offer a quiz.

Now, this is mainly for British citizens hoping to get a new Irish Passport, and is motivated by the spike in such applications in recent years. Think of it as a cultural pre-qualification questionnaire.  But others might also wish to evaluate their eligibility.

I will post Model Answers later, for those who get stuck. Or my fellow citizens may also wish to suggest their versions...  ;D

Q1: Please explain why the 6pm national news is broadcast at exactly one minute after 6pm?
Q2: Sean: "You wouldn't put the kettle on would you?"
Mary: "I will yeah"
Is Mary going to put the kettle on for Sean?
Q3: “Mammy is after going to get the messages.” Explain.
Q4: Give 5 examples of where/when you can apply the word 'yoke'
Q5: The immersion. Discuss.
Q6: In the event that you lose your passport, should you
(a) report it lost and apply for a new one
(b) apply for a temporary passport or
(c) pray to St Anthony?
Q7: A local man becomes successful. Discuss the reactions that this may elicit among his neighbours (300 pages or less)
Q8: Where were Miley and Fidelma caught?
Q9: Give 6 examples of how to use 'grand'
Q10: "Bye bye bye bye bye bye bye" is an appropriate way to end a phone conversation, yes or no?
Q11: What does 'put the delph in the press' mean?
Q12: How well should you have known someone to attend their funeral?
Q13: Fill in the blank..."roll it there ___"
Q14: If you are living in one part of the country, having grown up in another part of the country - which is 'home' and which is 'home, home'
Supplementary question - What is the difference between going 'out' and going 'out, out'?
Q15: Can you explain where yer man from up above lives ?
Q16: Aoife's leaving cert is next week. What concrete steps can Aoife's grandmother take to ensure her success?
Q17: Bridie: "Are you going to take the dog for a walk at all?" Dónal: "I'll do that now in a minute."
When will Dónal take the dog for a walk: -Now -In a minute -Other - please specify.
Bonus Question: Conjugate the verb 'to be' in the present continuous tense.

Sic transit gloria mundi

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2042
  • Likes Given: 1986
« Reply #365 on: December 13, 2020, 07:59:01 PM »
I am pretty sure Mary will put the kettle on and the dog walk will be a little bit later. Think i got at least some uses for yoke but i will await the model answers also to find out which some of the questions were actually about.  :)
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3510
  • Likes Given: 745
« Reply #366 on: December 13, 2020, 08:12:35 PM »
... might also be helpful...   :)

“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― anonymous

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late

RealityCheck

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: December 13, 2020, 09:00:12 PM »
Thank you Vox, all contributions gratefully received!

My brother emigrated to Canada, and at a party was once asked why he wasn't eating the potatoes.
He said 'I don't like potatoes.'
'Oh, I thought all Irish people LOVED potatoes!'
He said: 'No, we Irish people actually HATE potatoes. It reminds us of the famine. We actually have a March in Dublin every year, with signs and everything: 'Down with Potatoes! Eat more Pasta! Up with Rice!'

The response he got:
'Oh, really! I never knew!'

;D
Sic transit gloria mundi

RealityCheck

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: December 13, 2020, 09:05:06 PM »
I am pretty sure Mary will put the kettle on and the dog walk will be a little bit later.

Well Kassy, you're 50% right. I will allow my fellow forum members a chance to consider their replies before I post the Model Answers. But I will give you a clue: I am from Cork, and some questions (and answers) are best imagined in a Cork accent... not sure this will help, but if you wish to do some more research, I recommend 'The Young Offenders', a TV series set in Cork.  ;D
Sic transit gloria mundi

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: December 14, 2020, 12:44:46 AM »
Well that does not help at all but i will take the 50%. (i still have possible bonus points for the yoke if in Ireland it relates to something with eggs or animals).

Do i get bonus points for picking Aisling as my companion if or when i get to be the next Dr Who?

Kidding aside i sometimes wonder what the political persons are doing or achieving.

The cynical me says mostly promoting themselves.

Look tough etc but a lot of things can not actually be negotiated because if you want to reap the rewards of common rules you have to abide by them.

Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

Alphabet Hotel

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 179
  • Likes Given: 179
« Reply #370 on: December 14, 2020, 12:55:31 AM »
warning: spoilers

I took guesses for three of them.

1. the Angelus is at 6
3. grocery shopping
4. yoke is a thingy (in Philadelphia they'd say "jawn")
5. it's a submersible coil heater
8. in the barn (cowshed)
10. isn't it just six byes?
11. put the dishes in the cabinet
14a. 'out out' means drinking way too much and missing work tomorrow
15. heaven
16. help her study for the exam?
17. I'm busy but I'll get right on it after I finish this
bonus: "would"?

RealityCheck

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: December 14, 2020, 10:26:43 AM »
A valiant attempt, Alphabet. Maybe even a bonus point for effort...  ;D
Sic transit gloria mundi

RealityCheck

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: December 14, 2020, 10:34:00 AM »
Kassy:
Multiple bonus points are available for the correct pronunciation of the following Irish names:
Easy: Aisling, Fidelma, Seamus;
Medium: Sinead, Siobhan, Fionn, Fionnula;
Hard: Roisin; Saoirse, Aoife, Grainne;
Wicked: Sadhbh, Maedhbh, Tadhg, Caoimhe.

Answers in audio format only, please!
 ;D
Sic transit gloria mundi

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: December 14, 2020, 12:01:26 PM »
 a little late looking in .. just told my mum I was applying for my Irish passport .. Dad born before partition and a mother born in donegal . I burned the family Union Jack in 1970 .. I was a very forward looking child ... b.c.

Conflict is the root of all evil , for being blind it does not see whom it attacks . Yet it always attacks the Son Of God , and the Son of God is you .

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: December 14, 2020, 01:13:16 PM »
I will award myself a bonus point in the Category ´Aisling´ for knowing her last name is actually O´Sullivan.  ;)

RealityCheck

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #375 on: December 15, 2020, 12:00:18 PM »
a little late looking in .. just told my mum I was applying for my Irish passport .. Dad born before partition and a mother born in donegal . I burned the family Union Jack in 1970 .. I was a very forward looking child ... b.c.

Yes, lots of things were burned around that time, in them parts!
I have cousins who grew up in Newry. Their motto: 'Whatever you say, say nothing! And keep saying it!'
Sic transit gloria mundi

RealityCheck

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: December 15, 2020, 12:05:59 PM »
Ok Folks,
I provide Model Answers below, [in square brackets], to assist in evaluating any passport applications / pub quizzes / randomers-claiming-to-be-Irish...

Spoiler Alert: If you're reading this for the first time, check up-thread for the quiz without answers, and test yourself in this 'Cultural Pre-Qualification Questionnaire'.

Think of it as a vaccine against Brexit-induced trauma  ;D
(Some answers work best in a Cork accent...)

Regards, RC

British people applying for Irish passports will now face the following questions, following the recent spike in applications.

Q1: Please explain why the 6pm national news is broadcast at exactly one minute after 6pm? ['That would be an Ecumenical Matter'. Alternative acceptable answer: 'Those stupid bells!']
Q2: Sean: "You wouldn't put the kettle on would you?"
Mary: "I will yeah"
Is Mary going to put the kettle on for Sean? [Not a chance, boy. Who am I, your slave? (Ideally this one would be answered in a Cork accent.)]
Q3: “Mammy is after going to get the messages.” Explain. [Mum has popped to the shops to buy some groceries.]
Q4: "Give 5 examples of where/when you can apply the word 'yoke'" [sample answer: 'Ya quare yoke' = 'you're being a bit odd'; 'yer man's a bit of a quare yoke' = 'he's a bit strange'; 'where's that yoke?' = 'where's that valuable but ancient old tool (or rather odd son) of mine?' etc]
Q5: The immersion. Discuss. [Ah. Yes. The Immersion. Context: 'Who left the immersion on all night again?' 'Turn off the immersion, ya bould yoke, ya.' Immersion = the electric powered heating element in the hot water tank in the Hot Press. Rumoured to be responsible for exorbitant electricity bills, all by itself. Occupies unique position in Irish household folklore, as the progenitor of vicious arguments.]
Q6: In the event that you lose your passport, should you
(a) report it lost and apply for a new one
(b) apply for a temporary passport or
(c) pray to St Anthony? [ (c) of course. Everyone knows it'll turn up if you trust St Anthony to do the job for you. Why would you be bothered to get a new one, like? (A tenner in his box in the church would help too)]
Q7: A local man becomes successful. Discuss the reactions that this may elicit among his neighbours (300 pages or less). [No, this requires a separate answer, and a few months. Might even become a bestseller...]
Q8: Where were Miley and Fidelma caught? [If you don't know, it's an automatic fail for anyone over 50. Do the research. Do you even know who Miley was? What kind of Irishman are you at all, at all?]
Q9: Give 6 examples of how to use 'grand' [sample answers: Grand so. It'll be grand. I'm grand. Grand out. 'Tis grand. Isn't it grand for him?]
Q10: 'Bye bye bye bye bye bye bye’ is an appropriate way to end a phone conversation, yes or no? [Is this a trick question?]
Q11: What does 'put the delph in the press' mean? ['Put the ware in the cupboard.' (PS Ware = crockery = delph; you shouldn't have to be told)]
Q12: How well should you have known someone to attend their funeral? [Well now, how long have you got? Multipart question in disguise. (a) Local Politician: not at all, but a must if the unfortunate deceased had (or any of their family still have) a vote in your constituency. (b) National Politician: not at all, but if they had a vote in your constituency it's ok to send a minion if you're a minister; otherwise you've gotten too big for your boots and forgotten where you came from - mortal sins both. (c) Everyone else: not at all, it's ok to attend if you live in the same village in Roscommon as his first cousin, the one with the limp, you know, yer man living up above.]
Q13: Fill in the blank..."roll it there ___ " [Seriously, where have you been? Uncle Gaybo? Remember him? No? Forget it, ye foreign pretender...]
Q14: If you are living in one part of the country, having grown up in another part of the country - which is 'home' and which is 'home, home' [Another trick question?]
Supplementary question - What is the difference between going 'out' and going 'out, out'? [And why would you be asking?]
Q15: Can you explain where yer man from up above lives ? [Roscommon. See Q12 (c) above.]
Q16: Aoife's leaving cert is next week. What concrete steps can Aoife's grandmother take to ensure her success? [Three decades a night, a tenner to St Anthony, and the Child of Prague under the bush just in case.] [Don't ask what a decade is, ye heathen.]
Q17: Bridie: Are you going to take the dog for a walk at all? Dónal: I'll do that now in a minute
When will Dónal take the dog for a walk: -Now -In a minute -Other - please specify. [What's the rush?]

Bonus Question: Conjugate the verb 'to be' in the present continuous tense:
[Note A Cork accent works best.
I do be
You do be
He do be
She do be
We do be
Ye do be
They ALL do be]
Sic transit gloria mundi

RealityCheck

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: December 15, 2020, 12:19:10 PM »
Time for a little scoring:

warning: spoilers

I took guesses for three of them.

1. the Angelus is at 6 [yup!]
3. grocery shopping [yup!]
4. yoke is a thingy (in Philadelphia they'd say "jawn") [I'll give it to you]
5. it's a submersible coil heater [yes, but the question was 'Discuss' - no points!]
8. in the barn (cowshed) [Was there some Dr Google involved I wonder? I'll give it you, for effort...]
10. isn't it just six byes? [nah, individual taste applies. But I understand you to mean 'yes, this is acceptable'. A point]
11. put the dishes in the cabinet [yes]
14a. 'out out' means drinking way too much and missing work tomorrow [now you're getting into the 'spirit' of the quiz! A point]
15. heaven [see Model Answers.]
16. help her study for the exam? [Hah! Caught you! Not even an Irish great-grandmother in you, I'd say!]
17. I'm busy but I'll get right on it after I finish this [Actually, not a bad summary. A point]
bonus: "would"? [Note even close, boy. See Model Answers]

Total: 8 points. Not bad.  ;D
Sic transit gloria mundi

RealityCheck

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: December 15, 2020, 12:22:29 PM »
I will award myself a bonus point in the Category ´Aisling´ for knowing her last name is actually O´Sullivan.  ;)

...and a bonus point for Kassy for having a friend named Aisling.

Total points: 2
'Must do better' - recommendation: several nights in the nearest Irish pub having the craic, talking to actual Irish people, for educational purposes only, you understand.
Sic transit gloria mundi

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: December 15, 2020, 01:33:54 PM »
I promise to study some time next year.  :)

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: December 15, 2020, 03:40:15 PM »
A long time ago I spent a few weeks in Union Hall, West Cork.
In the pub I was talking to a couple named "O'Sullivan".

But later this old guy said to me - "they are not real O'Sullivans". It seems that the family was known to have changed the family name to Sullivan when Ireland was under British rule, and changed it back some time after Eire was born. This name change also changed where to go to Church on Sunday and also one's economic prospects.

You may not be aware that the same sort of thing was in force in Mostar, Bosnia when under the Ottoman Empire. If you brought your goods to market in Mostar from the West i.e. from the Austrian/Hungarian Empire, you would be exempted from taxes if you named yourself with the Islamic vs the Christian form of your name.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 09:01:02 PM by gerontocrat »

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: December 15, 2020, 11:06:57 PM »
That is one aspect i was unaware of but it makes sense.

It was merely a reference to Aisling Bea who will travel time and space with me if i ever get the Tardis.

RealityCheck

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: December 16, 2020, 09:15:09 AM »
A long time ago I spent a few weeks in Union Hall, West Cork.
In the pub I was talking to a couple named "O'Sullivan".

But later this old guy said to me - "they are not real O'Sullivans". It seems that the family was known to have changed the family name to Sullivan when Ireland was under British rule, and changed it back some time after Eire was born. This name change also changed where to go to Church on Sunday and also one's economic prospects.

You may not be aware that the same sort of thing was in force in Mostar, Bosnia when under the Ottoman Empire. If you brought your goods to market in Mostar from the West i.e. from the Austrian/Hungarian Empire, you would be exempted from taxes if you named yourself with the Islamic vs the Christian form of your name.

Yup, that all sounds entirely plausible. And in West Cork, there are so many even in one town that an O'Sullivan generally has to be distinguished by their middle initial: so it's Michael J O'Sullivan, Michael T, Michael K, etc.

What a great forum. History, Culture AND Science...  :D
Sic transit gloria mundi

etienne

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • About energy
  • Liked: 309
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #383 on: December 21, 2020, 07:40:23 AM »
Totally out of topic, but maybe nice in case of lockdown :
https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/irish-soda-bread

I replaced oats flakes with sesame and it tastes great. I cook it in a cake form.

RealityCheck

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: December 21, 2020, 09:10:35 AM »
Nice variation Etienne!

So, a question: did Brexit actually just happen yesterday?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/21/covid-chaos-disrupts-kent-ports-as-europe-travel-bans-take-hold
Sic transit gloria mundi

Sebastian Jones

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 214
  • Likes Given: 158
« Reply #385 on: December 22, 2020, 06:42:47 AM »
Nice variation Etienne!

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/21/covid-chaos-disrupts-kent-ports-as-europe-travel-bans-take-hold
Nah, it's just a dress rehearsal: The Continent just sealed itself from the UK in the hopes of preventing the spread of a more infectious variety of Covid-19.
But it must feel like Brexit.

RealityCheck

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: December 22, 2020, 08:12:10 AM »
Nice variation Etienne!

Nah, it's just a dress rehearsal: The Continent just sealed itself from the UK in the hopes of preventing the spread of a more infectious variety of Covid-19.
But it must feel like Brexit.

Exactly... of course this is a strong virus-control response. But, my goodness, what a scenario for the week before Christmas, 10 days to Brexit. Pity the trapped truckers...
Sic transit gloria mundi

SATire

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 34
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #387 on: December 22, 2020, 10:45:10 PM »
The French just wanna have fun ;-)

The fish is not enough.

etienne

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • About energy
« Reply #388 on: December 23, 2020, 09:30:18 AM »
This really is an unfair joke. Brexit was a British choice, and it seems that it is the British government that doesn't want any delay. Covid19 would have been a sufficient reason to push it 6 months or a year backward.

During the spring, many European countries were controlling borders again, this is Covid19, nothing to do with Brexit, it would have happened also without Brexit. London is an International City, a place where everything get mixed, including Viruses.

The hard truth is that Britain is a part of Europe and that 5000 years history and evolution can't be changed in just a few years. I always thought that there would be a U-Turn and that the UK would reintegrate the EU.

Countries like Norway or Switzerland have a very long history of cooperation with the EU. It is just not possible to create a new model of cooperation in such a short time. I feel that the Brexit should have been cut in slices, each slice discussed and applied separately, but this could have meant that the fishing slice never would have been accomplished. Anyway, I'm not in a position where I could decide anything, and imagining other path for history doesn't help solving problems.

Somehow, I feel that the major problem of the EU is democracy, that national governments use it to push an economical agenda, but this could be changed if there would be a will. Why is it a french company that pick up trashes in so many EU countries ? I don't feel that leaving the EU will changes the Agenda for the UK.

Let's hope that the worst doesn't happen. The best doesn't seem available right now.

Below a tee I made a few years ago.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 10:46:04 AM by etienne »

SATire

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: December 23, 2020, 01:02:38 PM »
it was unfair but not a joke. After years of being bothered by "news" about Brexit and being distracted from real world problems like agw or such I am likely unfair. Similar to the Trump-effect: Why do I have to suffer all that bad news caused by distant people choosing stupid things? That is also unfair.

And about the French: From what I learned there I am quite sure that they need to see some Englishmen walking a bit on there knees before France might agree to any contract. Or even better to disagree after watching some Englishmen on there knees. Unfairness is sometimes accepted after someone wanted a divorce without reason.

I wish everybody a nice New Year 2021 without any news about Brexit and Trump anymore :-D

etienne

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • About energy
« Reply #390 on: December 23, 2020, 03:25:44 PM »
Well, France and England had always a complicated relationship. The relation between the UK and the other EU members was also sometimes difficult. Maybe the deal was not possible because the EU was scared that the UK would be better off outside of the EU, and of course if the UK wanted to leave, it's because some people thought they could find a deal where they would be better off outside of the EU.
I don't think France would harm the UK on purpose, but frustrations don't help when flexibility is required.

etienne

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • About energy
« Reply #391 on: December 23, 2020, 06:44:28 PM »
Well, I just heard on the radio that we might have a deal tomorrow.

SATire

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: December 30, 2020, 04:05:10 PM »
Now we have the deal - all 27 members and the British parliament agreed. I would consider Brexit done and topic could be closed. It is a loose-loose compared to full membership but a win-win compared to no deal. So people may be happy and sad at the same time on both sides.

Deals first disadvantage is for the Students in Europe: No Erasmus in Britain anymore. That is very sad, since experience abroad is best peace keeper. Still some hope for financial services - they discuss about that until Spring. Personally I hope that it will be linked to freedom of movement by the people - it should not be easier for money working abroad than for people, that is my opinion and actually part of the principle of the 3 nested freedoms in EU - clearly worth to keep.

But best thing: Topic is over, reading newspapers will be interesting again. Lets learn from that for the future: No hope for Dexit/Frexit/x-xit... and do not listen to the liars anymore.

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: December 30, 2020, 04:39:30 PM »
Rose tinted glasses?  ;)

crandles

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 239
  • Likes Given: 81
« Reply #394 on: December 30, 2020, 04:42:22 PM »
Cue to start the campaign for a referendum to rejoin the EU?  ;)

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: December 30, 2020, 04:47:45 PM »
Yes but also fishermen unhappy with the deal and it´s not there idea of taking back control. And they renegotiate in 5 years so i see plenty of brexit related stuff ahead.

SATire

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: December 30, 2020, 06:42:59 PM »
Fishermen are unhappy in both sides. Thus it is probably fair. Same with most other points, since both sides agreed.

In future there will be more negotiations about fish and other things - just as with many other non-members.

Control is possible only with small things inside your country as long as it does not harm the big guys around. EU is one of them next to USA or China or Russia. So UK may take back control as much as possible but not more.

Now we have a nice new deal with China. Co-operation may work fruitfully still.

Edit. 1st post-Brexit deal: UK and Spain agree about Gibraltar. Gibraltar will stay in Schengen and Spain takes back control of the boarder at the international airport. Reason has won since UK can not do that (not in Schengen) and Gibraltar is not a state...
« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 03:26:57 PM by SATire »

Alexander555

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 185
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #397 on: December 31, 2020, 04:58:27 PM »
They waited much to long with the brexit. That's what i call a prime international community disaster.

etienne

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • About energy
« Reply #398 on: December 31, 2020, 08:34:35 PM »
Hello Alexander,

Sorry, i don't understand what you mean with the map and your comment.

I see the map as a proof that the UK are in Europe and should be integrated in the EU.

Etienne

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: February 08, 2021, 08:34:13 PM »
We are very much no longer part of the ' United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland ' as we have been for 100 years but have seen Nor'n Ireland separated from GB by an already rigidly enforced border down the Irish Sea .
 I can no longer source plants , seeds and bulbs etc from suppliers I have known and dealt with for 30+ years in GB . I live 1 mile N of the border which if I now dare cross I need my 'green card' or risk losing my car . I am advised even then I will be turned back before I reach my nearest town ( monaghan ) , as we currently do not even have a right of access beyond 5km into S. Ireland ( Covid rules )  ..
  Meanwhile we are very much second class citizens of Europe without a vote or representation . We were not ready for this .. We were promised the best of both worlds but opened the bag and found the worst ...
 Or was it a wurst ?
b.c.