Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Poll

When did you last fly somewhere?

Less than year ago
1-2 years ago
3-5 years ago
5-10 years ago
More than 10 years ago

Author Topic: When was the last flight you took?  (Read 752 times)

Pmt111500

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 42
  • Likes Given: 8
When was the last flight you took?
« on: April 17, 2019, 07:38:00 AM »
Out of general interest thought the forum might use some polls on behavioral habits of the forum residents. This came up elsewhere and might be of interest here too.
Amateur observations of Sea Ice since 2003.

b_lumenkraft

• ASIF Middle Class
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 155
  • Likes Given: 985
Re: When was the last flight you took?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2019, 07:53:40 AM »
I flew once in my life and therefore my CO2 budget flight wise is exhausted.

Sleepy

• ASIF Upper Class
  • Retired, again...
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 114
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2019, 07:55:13 AM »
Last commercial in 2007, the last time I flew was a year later,.
Jumped out of a Cessna and waved goodbye.
Omnia mirari, etiam tritissima.
-
Science is a jealous mistress and takes little account of a man's feelings.

Avalonian

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2019, 09:09:51 AM »
At the moment, my research involves an annual trip to China, where I currently am, and I don't have the money to go by rail. That ain't great, but I'm also vegetarian (mostly vegan), don't drive, and we keep our winter thermostat as long as we can stand. I'm also heavily involved in local sustainability, food security and so on, plus do a lot of outreach on natural history and indeed (occasionally) climate change.
     How does that balance out? I don't really know... but as was mentioned in another thread, it's hard to be perfect in the current world system. If we want somewhere secure to live, we need to be able to buy our house (in process), and for that we need the income that comes from doing the work I'm trained to do. At some point, that will come to an end... but for now I can't afford to be the martyr (as somebody else put it).
    Does it keep me awake at night? Yes, sometimes. Can I do anything about it? Not right now; at least, not without giving up my vocation and our chance at future security.  ???

Neven

• Administrator
  • ASIF Royalty
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 339
  • Likes Given: 239
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2019, 12:53:50 PM »
If you do whatever you can in other areas, and you absolutely have to fly for work/science, I don't think you should be too hard on yourself. But of course, it's a process and so this is just another area where improvements must be made, especially if the work/science is more destructive than contributing to society.
Il faut comparer, comparer, comparer, et cultiver notre jardin

Avalonian

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2019, 01:21:26 PM »
If you do whatever you can in other areas, and you absolutely have to fly for work/science, I don't think you should be too hard on yourself. But of course, it's a process and so this is just another area where improvements must be made, especially if the work/science is more destructive than contributing to society.

Thanks for that, Neven - it's kind-of the position I've come to as well. I've got an eye to looking at when the balance becomes untenable, and it may be soon... but for the moment, I've got to balance practicality against ideals. The science is trying to understand early animal evolution, including how it coped with major crises, so I believe it's more contributory than destructive... even though some aspects of it have relevance to understanding the origins of major shale gas deposits. That's not the angle I follow, for obvious reasons, but some of my colleagues are funded for more utilitarian purposes.  ::)

Tor Bejnar

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 188
  • Likes Given: 63
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2019, 03:05:02 PM »
About 5 years ago I flew to New Mexico as my mom had just moved out of the 'ancestral' home and I drove home in a U-Hall (with a sister who also lives in the East) carting old (fine) family furniture.  Before that, I flew (with family) to Colorado in 2005 to help spread my father's ashes in the area he camped almost every summer from 1947 to 2003 (obviously, I camped there a lot too).  (I did the 'carbon offset credit' thing to ease my guilt both times.)   The 'sparsity' of my recent flying 'makes up' for my having flown around the world 4 times in the '70s and '80s, taken 5 other trans-oceanic round trips (60's - 80's), and about 2 dozen domestic commercial flights (70's - 90's).  I grew up flying as my parents had a single propeller airplane they used (sometimes extensively) for work.  I 'stopped' flying because of what I learned about climate change.  Since 2000, we drive to New Mexico to see my mother [and father once] and brothers (and sometimes a visiting sister who lives further west) about once a year, with the benefit of seeing a cousin in Texas, and we can bring home rock specimens (read: "boulders to line our driveway").
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things.

etienne

• ASIF Middle Class
    • View Profile
    • About energy
  • Liked: 29
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2019, 09:51:51 PM »
The last time I flight for private reasons was in 2006. For holidays it was in 2003 to Greenland. A great holiday.

wili

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 44
  • Likes Given: 230
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2019, 01:46:10 AM »
The last holiday flight I took was the summer of '03 to Paris. There I witnessed first hand the first major event that could very reliably be directly attributed to GW--the deadly heatwave that killed tens of thousands in France and Europe in just a few days. I had been thinking of giving up flying before then, but that really helped me decide. I had committed myself to one other event that required flight the next year, but I haven't flown since, and have pretty much given up any long distance (beyond ~10 miles) travel powered by fossil-death-fuels. I don't really miss it, and feel much more locally focused now.
"A force de chercher de bonnes raisons, on en trouve; on les dit; et après on y tient, non pas tant parce qu'elles sont bonnes que pour ne pas se démentir." Choderlos de Laclos "You struggle to come up with some valid reasons, then cling to them, not because they're good, but just to not back down."

Bruce Steele

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 41
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2019, 04:56:49 AM »
Wili, I think most people could get their carbon footprint down to reasonable levels if they too followed your no flying and keeping other travel to less than 10 miles. There are of course millions of people living within those constraints. What that lifestyle looks like deserves more attention than ICE verses EV . What does a less than two ton CO2 footprint look like?

I only remember taking one flight in the last ten years but I still travel far too many miles transporting livestock.
 There is a carbon cost to food but unless you grow your own there are food travel miles involved. The ideal is grow your own food and resist all travel beyond ~10 miles .  Some people would consider that a huge imposition on their personal freedom but for most people freedom is a vice and freely abused.

wili

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2019, 05:50:35 AM »
"What that lifestyle looks like deserves more attention than ICE verses EV "

I agree (as usual, with you). That whole discussion bores me to tears, when it doesn't infuriate me. And I bought an EV more than ten years ago.

I too find I am driving more than I wish, since my urban farm is a couple miles from my home, and various heavy materials need to be transported...and, I'm getting old, fat and lazy :/
"A force de chercher de bonnes raisons, on en trouve; on les dit; et après on y tient, non pas tant parce qu'elles sont bonnes que pour ne pas se démentir." Choderlos de Laclos "You struggle to come up with some valid reasons, then cling to them, not because they're good, but just to not back down."

Sleepy

• ASIF Upper Class
  • Retired, again...
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 114
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2019, 09:33:23 AM »
What that lifestyle looks like deserves more attention than ICE verses EV . What does a less than two ton CO2 footprint look like?
Something like this or less (translation at the link).
https://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php/topic,1150.msg143576.html#msg143576

Swedens overshoot day was Apr 4 last year. There's no room left to buy an EV.
https://kleinmanenergy.upenn.edu/energy-policy-now/hard-look-negative-emissions
Omnia mirari, etiam tritissima.
-
Science is a jealous mistress and takes little account of a man's feelings.

Neven

• Administrator
  • ASIF Royalty
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 339
  • Likes Given: 239
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2019, 11:35:53 AM »
I too find I am driving more than I wish, since my urban farm is a couple miles from my home, and various heavy materials need to be transported...and, I'm getting old, fat and lazy :/

Same here. Bought an EV, driving more now (I knew we would be driving more, hence the EV).

Another area where we're failing, is the middle-sized dog, eating more meat than the whole family combined.

Clothes will always be a problem, even though we buy almost everything second-hand.

Last time I've flown, was in 2002, to India. Didn't know about AGW then.
Il faut comparer, comparer, comparer, et cultiver notre jardin

NevB

• ASIF Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 8
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2019, 01:30:58 PM »
The last six years I've flown about 2000km each way once or twice a week for work.

The work is in the Pilbara, there is nothing there (2hr drive to the nearest small town) and it's inhospitable (most summer day temps around 40+ c) not many want to live there. Until mining companies are forced to change this, flying will be the only option for most.
One small piece of better news is that the company has a goal of achieving at least 22% indigenous workers in the next FY where last year they were around 18%. The reason for this is I believe is purely economic, cheaper workers with less travel. The result though is less flying.

BTW Just this one large size mine has 9 flights a week with 774-300's? or around 100 to 130 people each flight. Plus a few shorter flights.

Now I'm working in the city and commuting on the electric train, currently that's were the work is, when this job is over I'll probably again have the choice to fly or not work.

As for personal travel I've had just a single trip to the US in this time and two trips to Bali, each about six hours. These trips were not entirely my choice and I'm not planning any more. Bali (in Indonesia) is worth mentioning where I couldn't name anyone that I know here in Perth that hasn't been there and many make a few trips a year.
The cost of a Bali trip for three days with accommodation can be as little as $300, which is cheaper than a local holiday. Until the true environmental cost is included this won't change and any political party that where to even mentioned this wouldn't stand a chance of being elected.

Here in Australia everyone is travelling with constant trips to all places around the world. There is very little recognition of the impacts and little interest in knowing.

One thing I found particularly depressing was after the recent fires in Tasmania that burn't bushland that hadn't been burnt in a thousand years due to the heat and drought. There were a few articles in the media, the depressing part were the comments from people who were so concerned about expressing their grief over this that they were organising flights for people to go see the unburnt forests before they are gone. Not one sign from anyone of just how totally ignorant this was. 

Aluminium

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 202
  • Likes Given: 140
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2019, 03:04:26 PM »
2.5 months ago I had one flight for the last 8 years.

Bruce Steele

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 41
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2019, 05:07:39 PM »
NevB, Thanks for the honesty. Flying because your job demands it is probably the largest driver of CO2 emissions for many members of this forum.
 When I was fishing for a living my boat used about 80 gallons a day or one ton of CO2 emissions.When I finally realized my jobs CO2 contribution was part of what was causing acidification it ruined all the fun of fishing. I changed to farming and cut back my emissions by 90% but still it is my job related CO2 that dominates my carbon budget. Although we can find ways to reduce CO2 in our personal lifestyle choices changing jobs is a very tough decision. Very very few people will change jobs if it means a reduced income . If your job is helping to kill the planet it becomes however a major dose of cognitive dissonance for the cognoscenti . 
 The whole challenge of achieving net zero in our personal lives involves lots of turmoil , achieving zero at work is more difficult and changing other people's fuel use is probably the most difficult of all.

wili

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2019, 05:13:04 PM »
Neven wrote: "Clothes will always be a problem, even though we buy almost everything second-hand."

We do too. Unfortunately, our main source for used clothes locally just closed shop :/

I was surprised to see that my biggest carbon footprint wrt clothing was my shoes. Basically none are made locally or even in the US, so there's the transport issue. And they're heavier than most other individual pieces of clothing. I also have weirdly wide feet (sextuple E!) so can't easily get them used, even if I were so inclined.

But I try to mostly focus on the big contributors (flying, diet) and worry proportionately less about the minor ones (clothing, straws, etc).

I think flying for job should partly be counted toward the people who own the business and use its service. But yeah, if your job requires a lot of travel (and so many do), one might want to look for a different job eventually. I probably lost my last job partly because I wouldn't fly to conferences to hear talks I was not interested in and give talks no one else was interested in.