Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Why I am getting more worried about AGW (a personal story)  (Read 1961 times)

Tom_Mazanec

Why I am getting more worried about AGW (a personal story)
« on: April 17, 2019, 04:54:33 PM »
Until recently, my bugaboo about what the world will be like when I am old was Peak Oil. I thought we would either be getting a post-oil technology and infrastructure by now, or entering an Energy Crisis Hyperdepression.
Then came fracking. At first I thought (based on my reading PO blogs) that it would be a flash-in-the-pan. But it seems to have legs. Meanwhile, the things that I thought would start happening in years like 2050 in a BAU scenario started happening in years like 2015.
So was I right before, or now? Will fracking collapse in a year or two and transportation start breaking down, or will the Earth become a hotter, less livable planet?
EDIT: and is your story similar to mine (anybody)?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 05:38:16 PM by Tom_Mazanec »

magnamentis

Re: Why I am getting more worried about AGW (a personal story)
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2019, 05:50:00 PM »
Until recently, my bugaboo about what the world will be like when I am old was Peak Oil. I thought we would either be getting a post-oil technology and infrastructure by now, or entering an Energy Crisis Hyperdepression.
Then came fracking. At first I thought (based on my reading PO blogs) that it would be a flash-in-the-pan. But it seems to have legs. Meanwhile, the things that I thought would start happening in years like 2050 in a BAU scenario started happening in years like 2015.
So was I right before, or now? Will fracking collapse in a year or two and transportation start breaking down, or will the Earth become a hotter, less livable planet?
EDIT: and is your story similar to mine (anybody)?

and another one, are you aware that using server space and bandwith is energy consuming ?

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2019, 06:13:01 PM »
Well, I know it uses some energy, not how much.
I have 58 posts, how much have I used?
You have 1959 posts...are your posts longer than mine or shorter? Does that affect how many ergs are used? Or is it just 1959/58 times as much as I've used?

DaveHitz

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 9
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2019, 06:34:00 PM »
Well, I know it uses some energy, not how much.
I have 58 posts, how much have I used?
You have 1959 posts...are your posts longer than mine or shorter? Does that affect how many ergs are used? Or is it just 1959/58 times as much as I've used?

Images and movies are giant compared to the text of your posts. The energy cost of this site is almost certainly dominated, like 90% or even 99%, by the graphics and not by the words.

A surprising amount of energy is used by data centers these days, but even so, the energy cost of any individual posting on a site like this is very, very low compared to driving, flying, or heating your house.

El Cid

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 923
  • Likes Given: 225
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2019, 08:16:30 PM »
I think magnamentis meant (if I read his mind correctly) that appearing out of the blue on this site and starting 3 new threads a day is probably not very useful. Then again, I may be wrong

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3584
  • Likes Given: 3922
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2019, 09:58:44 PM »
I am sure you read his mind (and mine) quite correctly.

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5289
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2019, 11:23:36 PM »
And this is all I'm going to say about that.

Don't Worry Be Happy
Bobby McFerrin

Here's a little song I wrote
You might want to sing it note for note
Don't worry, be happy
In every life we have some trouble
But when you worry you make it double
Don't worry, be happy
Don't worry, be happy now
don't worry

Ain't got no place to lay your head
Somebody came and took your bed
Don't worry, be happy
The landlord say your rent is late
He may have to litigate
Don't worry, be happy
Oh, ooh ooh ooh oo-ooh ooh oo-ooh don't worry, be happy
Here I give you my phone number, when you worry, call me, I make you happy, don't worry, be happy)
Don't worry, be happy

Ain't got no cash, ain't got no style
Ain't got no gal to make you smile
Don't worry, be happy
'Cause when you worry your face will frown
And that will bring everybody down
So don't worry, be happy
Don't worry, be happy now
(Ooh, ooh ooh ooh oo-ooh ooh oo-ooh) don't worry
(Ooh, ooh ooh ooh oo-ooh ooh oo-ooh) be happy
(Ooh, ooh ooh ooh oo-ooh ooh oo-ooh) don't worry, be happy
(Ooh, ooh ooh ooh oo-ooh ooh oo-ooh) don't worry
Now there, is this song I wrote
I hope you learned note for note
Like good little children, don't worry, be happy
Now listen to what I said, in your life expect some trouble
When you worry you make it double
But don't worry, be happy, be happy now
don't worry
don't worry
don't worry, don't worry
(Ooh, ooh ooh ooh oo-ooh ooh oo-ooh) don't worry, don't do it, be happy
(Ooh, ooh ooh ooh oo-ooh ooh oo-ooh) put a smile in your face
(Ooh, ooh ooh ooh oo-ooh ooh oo-ooh) don't bring everybody down like this
don't worry
(Ooh, ooh ooh ooh oo-ooh ooh oo-ooh) it will soon pass, whatever it is
(Ooh, ooh ooh ooh oo-ooh ooh oo-ooh) I'm not worried, I'm happy

"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

GoSouthYoungins

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 150
  • Likes Given: 109
big time oops

magnamentis

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2019, 01:00:25 PM »
And this is all I'm going to say about that.
Don't Worry Be Happy

this is a very good approach in daily life while to worry when worries are due, perhaps doesn't keep one happy at that very moment but it can extend the overall period of a chosen (happy) state LOL

this was not a contradiction, just sharing a thought that came up while reading.

many people (not meaning you) once the run out of reason come up with that killer argument that everything is relative.

i tend to answer that they can now go and jump from a tower and see how they like the relatively freightenting flight (fall), the relatively hard impact and the relative terminal state of death. ;)

about reading minds, yes all readings were correct while there is more to it, what really "worries" me is that we are facing some huge issues on planet earth, not only GW but many more.

my work and goal for the last 30 years or so has been to TRY to find out what the causes are and what solutions could be feasible.

the terms that are on top of my causes list are:

- greed
- fear
- ignorance
- self-importance
- envy

not necessarily in that order.

now considering that list one can ponder over the effects of those "human defects" or "animal instincts" depending whether we see ourselves as educated animals or failing spiritual entities.

now as you all know, that list would be way too long but at times, and now back on my topic,
one can see some extremely, excessive manifestations of such very dangerous traits and even though on first glance nothing appears to be wrong or bad, some, with the appropriate receptors can immediately feel it like a blow into the stomach/solar plexus and at times it physically hurts.

my way to deal with this is usually to back out and if that's not possible to hint and bring something to attention and if that doesn't work, it happens that i become the dangerous part LOL

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2019, 01:52:14 PM »
GoSouthYoungins:
Thanks. From the summary:
The “shale revolution” has provided a reprieve from what just 13 years ago was thought to be a terminal decline in
oil and gas production in the U.S. It has sparked calls for “American energy dominance”107 – despite the fact that
the U.S. is projected to be a net oil importer through 2050, even given EIA forecasts. This reprieve is temporary,
and the U.S. would be well advised to plan for much reduced shale oil and gas production in the long term based
on this analysis of play fundamentals.

The only problem is the short and medium term, where fracking is still producing a lot of AGW. If the old projections were correct, and AGW would not be a problem till late in the century, then PO and not AGW would be the peril. But disruptions to the climate are occurring already.