Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Idea for our community  (Read 1397 times)

Serrara Fluttershy

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 1
Idea for our community
« on: April 30, 2019, 09:56:42 AM »
I am suggesting to the people of this forum and its staff that a complementary server on the VoIP application Discord be created for the sake of allowing conversations to move more fluidly while still preserving the gates this community has formed.

It's why I haven't been on this forum much...it is a very well made application, and while originally oriented towards gaming, it is versatile enough to compliment practically any community due to its feature-rich setup.

What do you guys think about doing that? I'd be happy to recieve ideas or criticism, for/against opinions, etc.

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3589
  • Likes Given: 3940
Re: Idea for our community
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2019, 10:20:57 AM »
If you are referring to voice and video conversations, I havr no interest in that and I think it would be unsuitable for a science-oriented forum.

Pmt111500

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2019, 10:34:49 AM »
Haven't used VoIP even in Finnish on matters of science, the amount of checking facts on some of my posts requires that. The community is multilingual so I find it difficult to work, my written english might look fluent but if I can avoid speaking it I'll do just that. The accent is too thick and slow, for most native speakers... What I'd like to see instead is a breakdown of members by country. I remember seeing people from at least 28 countries here, and have likely missed at least 10 more. Many do not tell their country of origin in their details, but on some message. All the continents are represented by members anyway. I think I once saw a message from Antarctica, even. Thankfully it was not in Penguinese

There are probably many more countries of origin of the membership here than these I think I've seen:
USofA, England, Ireland, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, South Africa, India, Netherlands, France, Germany, Austria, Italy, Spain, Peru, Brasilia, Tanzania, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Russia, Croatia, China, Japan, Korea, Indonesia. And that's just 26 don't know what I missed from the first count.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 11:11:41 AM by Pmt111500 »

Serrara Fluttershy

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2019, 12:40:28 AM »
If you are referring to voice and video conversations, I havr no interest in that and I think it would be unsuitable for a science-oriented forum.
That isn't really what I was going for, yeah. Just a more instantaneous method of text communication, is all.

SteveMDFP

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 594
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2019, 12:54:27 AM »
That isn't really what I was going for, yeah. Just a more instantaneous method of text communication, is all.

I've used Discord once or twice, and didn't really like it.  As I recall, it depends on its own software system. 
For an online chat room experience, I'd suggest Slack, which can be used through a browser.
Still, I'm not sure there'd be a lot of interest among the current users.