Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Cars, cars and more cars Part Deux  (Read 11818 times)

nanning

• Nilas ice
  • 0Kg CO2, 35 KWh/wk,130L H2O/wk, No heating
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 190
  • Likes Given: 8729
Re: Cars, cars and more cars Part Deux
« Reply #250 on: December 24, 2019, 04:15:02 PM »
You're so right Terry. Thanks for that.

Rejoining in close proximity as a social species will have additional benefits.
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly" - Bertrand Russell
   Simple: minimize your possessions and be free and kind    It's just a mindset.       Refugees welcome

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 646
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #251 on: December 24, 2019, 06:29:04 PM »
We are a social animal. Anything that separates us from this separates us from our humanity.

Fearing 'others' isn't enlightened, and technology that encourages isolation is deeply flawed.
We don't need to walk a mile in another's shoes, just sit next to him on a bus. :)
Terry

nanning

• Nilas ice
  • 0Kg CO2, 35 KWh/wk,130L H2O/wk, No heating
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 190
  • Likes Given: 8729
« Reply #252 on: December 24, 2019, 08:39:45 PM »
:)
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly" - Bertrand Russell
   Simple: minimize your possessions and be free and kind    It's just a mindset.       Refugees welcome

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 477
  • Likes Given: 215
« Reply #253 on: December 24, 2019, 10:48:35 PM »
We don't need to walk a mile in another's shoes, just sit next to him on a bus. :)
Most of us need to walk a couple km in our own shoes (daily), preferably next to another person, and practice the art of listening to each other.  (But this is OT for this thread, I suppose.)
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 573
  • Likes Given: 244
« Reply #254 on: December 25, 2019, 09:25:46 PM »
Increasing numbers of homeless people in California are living in their vehicles amid the ongoing housing crisis.
But now advocacy groups have opened up "safe parking lots" designed to let the homeless sleep in their cars without fear of being removed.
https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/12/23/us/homeless-living-in-vehicles-los-angeles/index.html
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

crandles

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 125
  • Likes Given: 50
« Reply #255 on: January 06, 2020, 01:21:04 PM »
Driverless already in action in Moscow (and CES Las Vegas) by Yandex.

With all that in mind, I wasn't expecting there to be no driver at all.
"The robot drivers which we are developing, they cannot get distracted," Yulia Shveyko, head of media relations for Yandex driverless cars, tells me.

The fleet is already used by Yandex's rideshare service in Moscow.

"So we have passengers who are using our app to order rides. They're going to the university, post office, grocery store, and it's completely integrated into their typical routines," she adds.

"And what we've seen is that within a very quick time period, once they feel safe it starts to feel very normal."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-51003224

It entered the driverless car game in 2016, and got its vehicle on public roads in December 2017.

Seems quick getting to that stage. What is all this decades away nonsense?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 01:31:34 PM by crandles »

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 573
  • Likes Given: 244
« Reply #256 on: January 06, 2020, 06:43:16 PM »
Smarter cars can better prevent injury to pedestrians and cyclists.

Tesla will protect bicyclists from "dooring" in future OTA update, notes Elon Musk
https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-side-camera-anti-dooring-bicyclist-safety/
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

NeilT

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 133
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #257 on: January 07, 2020, 01:46:45 PM »

Russia has a lower risk threshold. Therefore they move faster.

Every time I look at my country I see that the big hulking bruiser that overshadowed progeess has been replaced with a little girl in a pink frilly dress, pigtails and chewing bubblegum.

Changed days.

But there are still countries with that big hulking bruiser and they are, eventually, going to lead the world.  Essentially because they are not afraid to risk the change.
Being right too soon is socially unacceptable.

Robert A. Heinlein

BeeKnees

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 23
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #258 on: January 07, 2020, 02:35:00 PM »

Russia has a lower risk threshold. Therefore they move faster.

Every time I look at my country I see that the big hulking bruiser that overshadowed progeess has been replaced with a little girl in a pink frilly dress, pigtails and chewing bubblegum.

Changed days.

But there are still countries with that big hulking bruiser and they are, eventually, going to lead the world.  Essentially because they are not afraid to risk the change.

I know what you mean
That Harley Quinn is one mean women 

vox_mundi

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 817
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #259 on: January 09, 2020, 06:07:13 PM »
New Trump Autonomous Vehicle Plan Lets Industry Regulate Itself. (... What Could Possibly Go Wrong?)
https://techxplore.com/news/2020-01-autonomous-vehicle-industry.html

The Trump administration on Wednesday unveiled its most recent round of guidelines for autonomous vehicle makers that still rely on the industry to police itself despite calls for specific regulations.

Transportation Secretary Elaine Chao announced the proposed guidelines in a speech at the CES gadget show in Las Vegas, saying in prepared remarks that "AV 4.0" will ensure U.S. leadership in developing new technologies.

But the guidelines will likely fall short of expectations of auto safety advocates and the National Transportation Safety Board. In November, the NTSB, which investigates crashes and makes safety recommendations, condemned a lack of state and federal regulation for testing autonomous vehicles.

The NTSB said Chao's department failed to lead in regulating the new technology and put autonomous vehicle advancement ahead of saving lives.
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― Leonardo da Vinci

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late