Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Atmospheric connections, structure, and long range weather forecasting  (Read 86243 times)

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3584
  • Likes Given: 3922
Re: Atmospheric connections, structure, and long range weather forecasting
« Reply #450 on: December 02, 2020, 03:48:48 PM »
Thus the climatology estimate was a 33.3% chance of each.
Great post Glen.

However - in a trending climate, perhaps beating the climatology has a chance higher than 33%? Predicting upper third might explain why temp forecasts have some skill.

Glen Koehler

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 738
  • Likes Given: 1413
« Reply #451 on: December 02, 2020, 04:48:42 PM »
    Correction to previous post - the comparison was to the most recent 30-year average, not "ca. 100 years in the historical record".  But your point still applies.  You would not lose much money by always betting on the warmer tercile.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 05:01:15 PM by Glen Koehler »
“What is at stake.... Everything, I would say." ~ Julienne Stroeve

El Cid

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 923
  • Likes Given: 225
« Reply #452 on: December 02, 2020, 05:42:15 PM »
That is why I showed the study on the main thread which filtered out the basic warming effect. Once you get rid of that these seasonal forecasts are not really good for anything, a simple persistence (bet on the prevailing anomaly to stay) model beats them...

One somewhat usable skill is in NE Europe according to the study where based on the late winter snowline you can draw good conclusions on how warm spring is going to be

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3510
  • Likes Given: 745
« Reply #453 on: December 03, 2020, 04:57:53 PM »
Is Arctic Warming Behind a Monster Saharan Dust Storm?
https://phys.org/news/2020-12-arctic-monster-saharan-storm.html

The June 2020 dust storm set records in terms of its geographic size and its aerosol optical depth—essentially a measure of its thickness determined by the ability of satellites to see through it. It reached an altitude of 6,000 meters (19,600 feet). In certain locations over the Atlantic Ocean, its thickness was double what had ever been recorded during the month of June during the history of the satellite record, which dates back to 1995.

The researchers analyzed what made it happen in a study appearing today in the journal Geophysical Research Letters

.Evan, lead author Diana Francis of Khalifa University of Science and Technology in the United Arab Emirates, and colleagues attributed the dust storm's magnitude to conditions set up by the development of a type of high-pressure system called a subtropical high off the coast of the Sahara. This increased the north-south pressure gradient over West Africa leading to record-strength, persistent northeasterly winds. The intensification of the northeasterly winds over the Sahara generated continuous dust emissions over several days in the second half of June 2020.

The researchers found that the subtropical high was embedded in a circumglobal wavetrain, a chain of wind patterns that extended around the planet, and was present in the Northern Hemisphere for most of June 2020. This wavetrain may have been caused by record-low Arctic sea ice extent observed in June 2020 as well. The warming of the Arctic region is believed to be altering the course of wind patterns in the mid-latitudes and subtropics and causing severe weather events, though there is controversy among scientists about this concept.

"The development of the subtropical high off the African coast had a deterministic role in both dust emissions and rapid westward transport of the airborne dust across the tropical Atlantic," said Francis. "The clockwise circulation associated with the high, intensified the African Easterly Jet, a jet stream present over the Sahara around five kilometers (3.2 miles) in altitude, which rapidly transported the dust towards the Caribbean and southern United States."

The study also touches on a controversial topic within the science community. Though not the main focus of study, the wavetrain pattern that set the Godzilla dust storm in motion looked very similar to one observed in 2010 when sea ice in the Arctic Ocean was substantially diminished, Francis' team noted.

"As the Arctic sea-ice cover was rather low in June 2020, around the lowest on record in the period of satellite observations, it may have contributed to the observed large-scale anomaly pattern," the study concludes. "Thus, if such patterns become more common in a warmer world, it is plausible that these extreme dust outbreaks will increase in frequency in the future."

Diana Francis et al. The Atmospheric Drivers of the Major Saharan Dust Storm in June 2020, Geophysical Research Letters (2020)
https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1029/2020GL090102
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― anonymous

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late

Glen Koehler

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: December 14, 2020, 11:35:06 PM »
    RE: 2020 global average surface temperature.
    Hansen speaks.  All should listen.  Excerpt below.  Full message at     http://www.columbia.edu/~jeh1/mailings/2020/20201214_GlobalWarmingAcceleration.pdf

El Cid

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: December 15, 2020, 08:59:40 AM »
    RE: 2020 global average surface temperature.
    Hansen speaks.  All should listen.  Excerpt below.  Full message at     http://www.columbia.edu/~jeh1/mailings/2020/20201214_GlobalWarmingAcceleration.pdf

So, what he says is that aerosol effects are stronger than presumed by IPCC and as humanity quickly reduces aerosols (my addition:  the global shipping industry drastically reduced sulphur content of shipping oil from jan 1 this year)  this shows up in bigger than expected warming. He says that so far Co2 was somewhat counterbalanced by aerosols but now that aerosols are reduced we are in trouble, especially as a new solar cycle has just started.
He's probably right on all

Glen Koehler

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: December 16, 2020, 05:21:38 PM »
    Hansen posted a short Q&A to reply to questions he got from yesterday's post about acceleration.  Not trying to turn ASIF into a climate blog, but it's all connected and it's Hansen talking, not Joe down at the local bar.  Q&A is at http://www.columbia.edu/~jeh1/mailings/2020/20201216_Twittering.pdf

El Cid

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: December 29, 2020, 08:43:48 AM »
OK, so here comes your SSW (sudden stratospheric warming). See attached picture of T+2 and T+6 days.
We will have a strong warming over Siberia in the stratosphere by T+2 which will churn and turn and push around the polar vortex. It might split into two eventually, we don't know yet... GFS has been changing its mind in the latest runs as for the longer term outcome. This might bring some cold weather into NH mindlatitudes during mid Jan-end Feb

blu_ice

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 86
  • Likes Given: 190
« Reply #458 on: January 01, 2021, 11:34:35 PM »
OK, so here comes your SSW (sudden stratospheric warming). See attached picture of T+2 and T+6 days.
We will have a strong warming over Siberia in the stratosphere by T+2 which will churn and turn and push around the polar vortex. It might split into two eventually, we don't know yet... GFS has been changing its mind in the latest runs as for the longer term outcome. This might bring some cold weather into NH mindlatitudes during mid Jan-end Feb
It’s gonna get cold in Europe after mid-January, says ECMWF extended forecast. Especially Scandinavia, the Baltics and Northwest Russia will be freezing if/when temps will go below average during the coldest time of the year.

El Cid

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: January 02, 2021, 08:41:59 AM »
GFS shows that the SSW is already under way and also shows the polar vortex splitting into two in 2 days' time (shown). After that GFS shows that the polar vortex tries to reform over C/E Europe, but stays weak until the end of the forecast period (Jan 18). This could really bring unseasonally cold, Arctic air into Europe...

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1012
  • Likes Given: 1034
« Reply #460 on: January 02, 2021, 03:38:51 PM »
very first words I hear on bbc radio 4 this morning .. 'Sudden stratospheric warming' ..
Conflict is the root of all evil , for being blind it does not see whom it attacks . Yet it always attacks the Son Of God , and the Son of God is you .

Bruce Steele

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 744
  • Likes Given: 40

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5289
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #462 on: January 02, 2021, 06:46:16 PM »
Environment Canada says its going to be a warm (as in not quite so perishing cold) Canadian winter

https://weather.gc.ca/saisons/image_e.html?img=mfe1t_s
https://weather.gc.ca/saisons/index_e.html
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

El Cid

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: January 03, 2021, 09:18:18 AM »
As we have discussed before, these long term forecasts (Canada, Europe, or US models all the same) have hardly any predictive skill.

Besides, since on average winters are significantly warmer now than in the past (see picture), if you forecast warm(er than average) winters, you will likely be right 70-80% of the time.

I even bet one of my friends that this winter (in Hungary) will be warmer than the average of the last 12 years. With AGW (and the late refreeze of the Siberian Seas) I think I have a slight edge, but definitely not 70-80% probability. I subjectively put my chances at cca 65%. This is not skill, it is just a trend. And I rarely bet against trends.

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: January 03, 2021, 04:24:19 PM »
As we have discussed before, these long term forecasts (Canada, Europe, or US models all the same) have hardly any predictive skill.

Besides, since on average winters are significantly warmer now than in the past (see picture), if you forecast warm(er than average) winters, you will likely be right 70-80% of the time. ..... I rarely bet against trends.
But.... La Nina is associated with a cool North America

https://blogs.ei.columbia.edu/2017/11/15/how-will-la-nina-affect-winter-in-the-u-s/
Broadly speaking, La Niña gives us winters with cooler temperatures and more precipitation than normal in the northern U.S., and warmer, drier conditions in the south.

https://gripped.com/gripped-outdoors/winter-2020-in-canada-big-snow-and-more-ice-thanks-to-la-nina/
La Niña brings above-average precipitation and colder-than-average temperatures throughout Canada.

So Environment Canada's forecasts for above average temperatures are a bet against the trends?

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #465 on: January 03, 2021, 04:33:16 PM »
Meanwhile - SSW

Two images attached that even I can understand from From the Tokyo Climate Centre at http://ds.data.jma.go.jp/tcc/tcc/products/clisys/STRAT/

All sorts of other stuff there (but a mystery to me)

El Cid

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: January 03, 2021, 04:47:07 PM »

So Environment Canada's forecasts for above average temperatures are a bet against the trends?

No, the trend is for ever warmer temperatures. Keep forecasting warm temperatures every year and you will be mostly right (or at least not very wrong).
I took a look at Canadian temperatures during winter (eyeballing on gisstemp vs 1970-2000 averages)

very warm: 2012,13,16,17,20
mixed: 2011,15,18,19
Cold: 2014

La nina years: 2011,12 ,18, (17 very weak)
of those, 2 were hot and 2 mixed
The only definitely  cold year was 2014, neither nina or nino
We had a nino in 16 and a weak one in 19
ENSO data:
https://ggweather.com/enso/oni.htm

Shared Humanity

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 471
  • Likes Given: 55

Bruce Steele

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: January 03, 2021, 06:06:37 PM »
Shared Humanity, Born from the Void did an article predicting a developing SSW a couple weeks ago. His article talked about a Ural blocking high pressure that sets up conditions for a SSW to develop. So if you get a chance to read his article it is a perfect primer for the other link I posted yesterday.

https://www.netweather.tv/weather-forecasts/news/10610-arctic-amplification-and-winter-weather---whats-the-connection

I liked this explanation from BFTV’s article

“Capturing the Ridge
When a jet stream ridge reaches eastern Europe/western Russia, the added atmospheric thickness in the Barents/Kara region can amplify it. The amplified ridge creates a stronger high-pressure system to its east. In this case, it promotes a stronger Siberian high pressure, pulling colder air south and enhancing snowfall.
Secondly, the amplification also slows down eastward progression of the Rossby waves, encouraging blocking high pressure around the Ural Mountains, otherwise known as Ural Blocking. This is where we come back to the stratosphere! This Ural Blocking is positioned in such a way that when the eastward moving Rossby waves encounter the block, the waves can break. This results in energy being driven both poleward (towards the Arctic) and vertically into the stratosphere. Picture it like a wave breaking against a cliff, with water shooting vertically and horizontally. The net result being disruption of the Arctic stratospheric vortex. A reduction or reversal of the dominant westerly winds then occurs, which can propagate down through the atmosphere, disrupting weather patterns at the surface and allowing cold air to spill south out of the Arctic.“

« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 06:21:04 PM by Bruce Steele »

Bruce Steele

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: January 05, 2021, 09:19:33 PM »
The JMA 10hPa temp. at the North Pole has jumped 50 degrees in less than a week.

http://ds.data.jma.go.jp/tcc/tcc/products/clisys/STRAT/

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: January 05, 2021, 09:55:09 PM »

No, the trend is for ever warmer temperatures. Keep forecasting warm temperatures every year and you will be mostly right (or at least not very wrong).
I took a look at Canadian temperatures during winter (eyeballing on gisstemp vs 1970-2000 averages)

very warm: 2012,13,16,17,20
mixed: 2011,15,18,19
Cold: 2014

La nina years: 2011,12 ,18, (17 very weak)
of those, 2 were hot and 2 mixed
The only definitely  cold year was 2014, neither nina or nino
We had a nino in 16 and a weak one in 19
ENSO data:
https://ggweather.com/enso/oni.htm
Could the current developing SSW disturb the polar vortex in such a way that warm North Pacific storms could invade the Bering sea and the Arctic Ocean via the bering Strait? If Bering Sea Ice replicates the events of Feb March 2019 maybe Central Canada will get really really cold.

file:///C:/Users/Gw/Downloads/climate-07-00087.pdf
Abstract: In February 2019, central Canada, and especially the province of Saskatchewan, experienced extreme cold weather. It was the coldest February in 82 years and the second coldest in 115 years....

The increased storm activity over the Bering Strait in February 2019, due to the shift in the jet stream, forced the storms and transport of heat deeper into the Arctic. In the process of increased storm activity (15 storms between 27 January and 3 March) and enhanced heat flux and gusty winds, the Bering sea lost 373,000 sq. km of sea ice between 27 January and 3 March and had the lowest recorded sea ice in March (Figure 11). The extended open water further contributed to the heat fluxes into the lower troposphere. Thus, the storm activity over the North Pacific triggered a series of changes in atmospheric circulation indirectly linked to the extreme cold event over the Prairie region of Canada.

......We conclude that the record cold event in the Prairie region of Canada is indirectly linked to the record low sea ice event in the Bering Sea through the changes in storm activity over the North Pacific and a pattern shift of the jet stream.

El Cid

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: January 05, 2021, 10:08:23 PM »
Could the current developing SSW disturb the polar vortex in such a way that warm North Pacific storms could invade the Bering sea and the Arctic Ocean via the bering Strait? If Bering Sea Ice replicates the events of Feb March 2019 maybe Central Canada will get really really cold.

Well, that's an interesting idea. An SSW usually "disturbs" the vortex, which obviously heavily influences stratospheric winds, so that they get weaker and/or change direction from the usual N.Pole-centered counterclockwise movement. We know that very often heavy Arctic air outbreaks happen in the aftermath of an SSW (with warm intrusions at other places), so I guess the above could happen. We'll see.

All we know now is that the vortex has broken down, and the models have it slowly re-forming  in cca 2 weeks' time. Nasty things could happen in Jan/Feb (or they won't) :)

Bruce Steele

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: January 07, 2021, 05:34:24 AM »
From JMA  “ A major stratospheric sudden warming (SSW) started in the Northern Hemisphere at 30-hPa around 4 January 2021. ”

El Cid

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: January 07, 2021, 08:05:27 AM »
Even more interesting (I don't know if this is unprecedented or not - someone with more knowledge about this could chip in), that GFS is showing a SECOND SSW starting T+4 and reaching its high by T+11 days (shown)!

dnem

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 319
  • Likes Given: 278
« Reply #474 on: January 15, 2021, 08:28:23 PM »
This is one of the best non-technical pieces I've read on SSW, the PV and effects in the mid-latitudes.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/stratospheric-warming-winter-weather-coming/

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: January 17, 2021, 04:13:45 PM »
The data seems to say an SSW happened around the 4 Jan, started to fade and is reinvigorated, and can be called a major SSW.

http://ds.data.jma.go.jp/tcc/tcc/products/clisys/STRAT/
http://ds.data.jma.go.jp/tcc/tcc/products/clisys/STRAT/readme.html
The warming is called a "Minor Warming", when the polar temperature increases more than 25 degrees in a period of a week or less at any stratospheric level.
If the zonal mean temperature increases poleward from 60 degrees latitude and the net zonal mean zonal winds become easterly at 60 degrees latitude at 10 hPa (32 km) or below, it is classified as a "Major Warming".

sark

« Reply #476 on: January 20, 2021, 11:46:28 PM »
A somewhat heavy GIF but I hope it is worthy.  Frames are from here: https://acd-ext.gsfc.nasa.gov/Data_services/met/qbo/anim.html

New type of wave seems to be crashing in it.  The QBO is fairly powerful... heads up

sark

« Reply #478 on: January 24, 2021, 11:24:27 PM »
Earth's rotation has been speeding up for the past 5 or 6 years.  2020 was enough to create a need for a negative leap second.  https://www.timeanddate.com/time/earth-faster-rotation.html

Data from:  https://hpiers.obspm.fr/eop-pc/index.php?index=realtime&lang=en

sark

« Reply #479 on: January 25, 2021, 12:03:41 AM »
"The projected delay in SFWs suggest a later seasonal transition from the climatological wintertime to summertime circulation in both hemispheres. In the Southern Hemisphere (SH), essentially all of the delay in the SFW occurs in the era with strong ozone depletion (1980–2040)"

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs00382-021-05647-6

sark

« Reply #480 on: January 25, 2021, 12:09:30 AM »
"Why is this #PolarVortex disruption different from all other polar vortex disruptions? First are the twirls & loop-de-loops in this event's polar cap geopotential height anomalies. Yellow arrows show where they go up & blue arrows where they go down. Normally they only go down"

https://twitter.com/judah47/status/1352625178090631172

El Cid

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: January 25, 2021, 08:08:01 AM »
Even more interesting (I don't know if this is unprecedented or not - someone with more knowledge about this could chip in), that GFS is showing a SECOND SSW starting T+4 and reaching its high by T+11 days (shown)!

Well, noone had the answer to that question, but Judah Cohen says it IS unprecedented:

"To just show how unprecedented this may be, there is the possibility of two separate MMWs this winter separated by about a week based on the most recent EPS weeklies.  There have been two MMWs in one winter before but usually they are separated by months and not a week or two.  As far as I know this has never happened before."

Not only that, but we still see no re-forming of the vortex even on the T+10 forecast! It is thought to be coming back by Feb 10, but that forecast is very far out...Quite interesting. We lost the vortex at the very end of last year/beginning of Jan, and it is still nowhere...

P-maker

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 72
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #482 on: January 25, 2021, 11:41:17 AM »
Goodbye capital Polar Vortex, as also described in this song:

https://m.youtube.com/watch/DDOL7iY8kfo

minor polar vortices are about to come our way, where we live. Watch out and pay attention!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 11:46:23 AM by P-maker »

sark

« Reply #483 on: January 26, 2021, 03:01:37 AM »
https://www.aer.com/science-research/climate-weather/arctic-oscillation/

Dr Judah Cohen just posted to his blog, week 2 of talking about this stratospheric polar vortex disruption, click on Archives to see previous entries.

How I see it

Strat PV disturbances usually come in 2 main types, the displacement and the split.  Split stratospheric PV usually leads to a total collapse of the vortex.  The strat PV spins right back up into a vortex again, unless it is the final warming of the winter pole, but at some point the vortex feature loses all power when there's a good split.  These type of SSW give us our best chance of prolonged cold winters in the US East, for example.  People are looking for Wave 2 split events so they get snow.  So far we have seen more Wave 1.

There's a regularity to these events, a climatology of them, winds and heat & momentum fluxes, as well as a profile of the temperature changes throughout the polar atmosphere.  However, as with anything dynamic, it is hard to define the phenomenon.  10hPa zonal wind reversal at a high latitude is one example of a definition, or a way to locate the events in the archives.  This vortex disturbance has already achieved Major Midwinter Warming and negative zonal winds at 10hPa.

Funny thing is, the warming part:  It has been very loudly anomalous that we see so far 2 SSW status warmings at 10hPa with a third in the forecast.

The vortex feature itself is there.  It splits at lower levels but cannot unzip totally.  Pictured below is the 2nd "split."  Some symmetrical splitting has occurred, but instead of separating into two cores, there's an accelerated merge.  You get what looks like PV pants.

If you page through the isentropic PV and other maps on https://stratobserve.com/tht_pvstr_maps you can go back to January 9th currently and look at hour 0s.  I believe the 1st MMW was the 4th or 5th of January, 2nd about 10 days later, and the 3rd we're looking at hour 300ish from now.

Each time the vortex is displaced and sheeted flat, even splitting/merging and shedding smaller vortices at different levels.  It is creating a challenge for the definition of these meteorological events, in one respect, because the vortex gets strained into such a sheeted flat feature that zonal winds are negative at 10hPa 60N, without that spectacular loss of power that people are hoping for so they get snow.

Regular SSW are normal and kind of like playing Roulette for weenies during winter, they are semi-regular but with a hiatus in the 90's.  A good SSW can fill in ozone over the poles.

Too strong vortex destroys ozone at the poles.

4 posts above is a relevant post from me, about Stratospheric Final Warmings being modeled occurring later by a few days in some WACCM-X style models.

Winter vortex were too strong at lower stratospheric levels late in the past 2 cold seasons, which is how I interpret those two charts

https://stratobserve.com/misc_vort3d

https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/stratosphere/

There is a lot going on in the stratosphere and the race is on to figure it out. 

sark

« Reply #484 on: February 03, 2021, 11:35:25 AM »
Monthly air temperatures 80N-90N at 700mb.  It's like this all the way up to 500mb.

This plot includes all months in the R1 Reanalysis.  The spike at the end that steps so far out of the record is May through September of 2020. 

Whatever sea ice there is in the Northern Hemisphere, it's not enough.  I don't think this is going to retrace next year then throw another spike in a few years, I think this will build year on year now and the atmosphere will just have to be polar blocked every summer.  It may actually get colder in some places if this polar amplification runs away to a change in the general circulation and does so as quickly as it has started.

This chart reminds me of the global sea ice chart in October 2016 when that line crashed.  That wasn't "it".  That line retraced previous years and has hugged the bottom of the range with a few additional departures.

Is the atmosphere different?  It will be seen this summer in the Northern Hemisphere.  May, June, July.  I think summer will be full of high atmospheric height anomalies / high latitude blocking and much of it reaching and maintaining the North Pole, with temperatures not just +5C but even greater.. +7C air temps over the CAB 2021 or bust.

https://psl.noaa.gov/data/timeseries/

sark

« Reply #485 on: February 03, 2021, 11:48:29 AM »
This is a cross section of the Arctic air temperature anomaly of May through September 2020.. 5 months pushing +5C.

https://psl.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/data/composites/printpage.pl

Glen Koehler

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 01:30:17 AM by Glen Koehler »

Freegrass

• Young ice
  • Autodidacticism is a complicated word...
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 951
  • Likes Given: 1251
« Reply #487 on: June 25, 2021, 05:10:20 PM »
I know that the discussion I'm starting now is way beyond my capabilities of understanding it, but something weird is happening in the upper atmosphere.

Last year I was wondering if the Jetstream could become so wavy, that eventually it would start turning in on itself, and become some sort of "Bubble Jet", with giant rotating systems, instead of one stream of air.

Last night I noticed that this seems to be happening now, as you can see on the gif I added. (10 day gif, last 5 days + next 5 days)

I also noticed that the upper atmosphere is completely different from last year. So what's going on here? And is the current Arctic weather a consequence of that?

OffTheGrid already said something about it on the melting thread, so I posted his message here with some images from the upper atmosphere that compare last year with this year.

WTF is going on?

Hi Freegrass,
We would be very appreciative if you could do some if you're excellent animations, but full hemispheric coverage of wind and temperatures at the 250hPa jet stream, and 70hPa, 10hPa stratospheric levels where it appears there has been a complete breakdown of the polar vortex that usually keeps upper level outflows from exiting the Arctic, and hence blocks to a large degree low level inflow.
About two years ago this was modelled to occur in about 100 years when the Arctic was ice free for several months in the summer. It's possible that the surface area of the highly fragmented and wet ice being much more that open ocean has unexpectedly caused this far earlier than any of us in the climate science community expected. There are lots of things happening right now that the world leading reputation scientists have been declaring completely impossible.
There is a panic going on right now in amongst climate scientists. We have an "impossible" direct low level flow from the equatorial Atlantic straight up into the Arctic. And and "impossible" direct basin to Mexico. And Basin to Middle East streaming outflows.
When I got off a long call with Veli at Oxford University in the UK yesterday, he was off to ring Jennifer Francis and Paul Beckwith who are considered the experts.
There are serious concerns that if this sort of thing sets in it can result in football sized hail and icestorms.
90% of the world is religious, but somehow "love thy neighbour" became "fuck thy neighbours", if they don't agree with your point of view.

WTF happened?

CryptoLurker999

• NewMembers
  • New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 297
« Reply #488 on: June 25, 2021, 05:27:09 PM »
"There are serious concerns that if this sort of thing sets in it can result in football sized hail and icestorms"

https://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/dead-hundreds-injured-rare-tornado-czech-republic-78481770

"A rare tornado believed to be the most devastating in the Czech Republic’s modern history has torn through the country's southeast, killing at least five people and injuring hundreds, rescue services and police said on Friday.

The tornado touched down late Thursday as strong thunderstorms hit the entire country. Seven towns and villages sustained heavy damage that included buildings turned to rubble and overturned cars. The storms were accompanied by hail which in some cases was as big as tennis balls."

:o
The ice we skate, is getting pretty thin
The water's getting warm so you might as well swim,
My world's on fire, how bout yours?
Thats the way I like it and I'll never get boooored!

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: June 26, 2021, 12:41:59 AM »
Welcome, CL999.

nanning

• Nilas ice
  • 0Kg CO₂, 37 KWh/wk,125L H₂O/wk, No offspring
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 273
  • Likes Given: 23170
« Reply #490 on: June 26, 2021, 07:36:11 AM »
Welcome CryptoLurker
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly" - Bertrand Russell
"It is preoccupation with what other people from your groups think of you, that prevents you from living freely and nobly" - Nanning
Why do you keep accumulating stuff?

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: July 23, 2021, 06:29:16 PM »
How a Sudden Stratospheric Warming Affected the Northern Hemisphere
https://phys.org/news/2021-07-sudden-stratospheric-affected-northern-hemisphere.html

In sudden stratospheric warmings (SSWs)—large meteorological disturbances related to the polar vortex in which the polar stratosphere temperature increases as it is affected by the winds around the pole—the polar vortex is weakened. SSWs also have profound atmospheric effects at great distances, causing changes in the hemisphere opposite from the location of the original SSW—changes that extend all the way to the upper thermosphere and ionosphere.

A study published on July 16 in Geophysical Research Letters by MIT Haystack Observatory's Larisa Goncharenko and colleagues examines the effects of a recent major Antarctic SSW on the Northern Hemisphere by studying changes observed in the upper atmosphere over North America and Europe.

In an SSW-caused anomaly, changes over the pole cause changes in the opposite hemisphere. This important interhemispheric linkage was identified as drastic shifts at altitudes greater than 100 km—for example, in total electron content (TEC) measurements as well as variations in the thermospheric O/N2 ratio.

Since the Antarctic SSWs are less common, there are fewer opportunities to study their effects on the Northern Hemisphere. However, the greater density of TEC observation locations in the Northern Hemisphere allows for precise measurement of these upper atmospheric anomalies when they do occur.

In the figure above, red areas show where TEC levels are shifted over North America and Europe in the afternoon; red indicates an increase of up to 80 percent versus the baseline regular levels, and blue indicates a decrease of up to –40 percent versus regular levels. This TEC shift persisted throughout September 2019 over the western United States, but was short-lived over Europe, indicating different mechanisms at play.

The authors suggest that a change in the thermospheric zonal (east–west) winds are one reason for the variance between regions. Another factor is differences in magnetic declination angles; in areas with greater declination, the zonal winds can more efficiently transport plasma to higher or lower altitudes, leading to the build-up or depletion of plasma density.

Larisa P. Goncharenko et al, Impact of September 2019 Antarctic Sudden Stratospheric Warming on Mid‐Latitude Ionosphere and Thermosphere over North America and Europe, Geophysical Research Letters (2021)
https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1029/2021GL094517
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― anonymous

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late

The Blob warned us

• New ice
  • Not a scientist, hand-waver, blob chaser
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #492 on: July 24, 2021, 07:18:55 PM »

Last year I was wondering if the Jetstream could become so wavy, that eventually it would start turning in on itself, and become some sort of "Bubble Jet", with giant rotating systems, instead of one stream of air.

Last night I noticed that this seems to be happening now, as you can see on the gif I added. (10 day gif, last 5 days + next 5 days)

I also noticed that the upper atmosphere is completely different from last year. So what's going on here? And is the current Arctic weather a consequence of that?

OffTheGrid already said something about it on the melting thread, so I posted his message here with some images from the upper atmosphere that compare last year with this year.

Regarding the appearance of 10hPa winds in GFS modeling

"On March 22, 2021, GFS version 16 was implemented in the NCEP Production Suite."

https://vlab.noaa.gov/web/environmental-modeling-center/unified-forecast-system

The 12z run on March 22 of 2021 does show this increase in resolution. I must admit, this was a thrilling ride. ::whew:: (click to run .gif of earth.nullschool data)

As for the 250hPa level jet, it is common to talk about a wavy jet stream leading to stuck or amplified weather patterns. A recent analysis of the kinetic energy of eddies helps explain what I think we are seeing, an increase of transient eddy energy relative to the mean.

"We show that the atmospheric circulation is overall becoming more energetic and efficient. For instance, we find a statistically significant trend in the eddy available potential energy, especially in the transient eddy available potential energy in the Southern Hemisphere."

"The total mechanic energy in the troposphere did not significantly change during the period 1979-2019. However, the eddy available potential energy exhibits significant positive trends, especially the transient eddy available potential energy in the Southern Hemisphere."

The Lorenz energy cycle: trends and the impact of modes of climate variability
Qiyun Ma, Valerio Lembo & Christian L.E. Franzke

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/16000870.2021.1900033

I formerly posted to this thread as "sark". My understanding of the zonal jets is faint, but it is an area of knowledge that is not well grounded generally. Turbulence is first irregular, but it is not out of our depth to conceptualize the general circulation. In my view, the jet is simply a rip or tear between the equatorial cells and the commotion of eddies that are poleward of the Hadley cells. The jet streams are a squirt of momentum between these zones in each hemisphere. Concepts of baroclinicity and angular momentum in the atmosphere were stepping stones to the nonsense written above. I *completely* skip the equations and math involved.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbulence_kinetic_energy

Kerry Emanuel - Edward N. Lorenz and the End of the Cartesian Universe

Nick Hall - GFD 5.1 - Scale Interactions and Transient Forcing

Steve Brunton - Turbulence Closure Models: Reynolds Averaged Navier Stokes (RANS) & Large Eddy Simulations (LES)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2021, 07:31:56 PM by The Blob warned us »

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
Examining the Role of Hadley Cells In Ongoing Climate Change
https://phys.org/news/2023-05-role-hadley-cells-ongoing-climate.html

Recent changes in the Hadley circulation strength. Credit: Nature (2023). DOI: 10.1038/s41586-023-05903-1

... Because of their huge significance, the Hadley cells are of great interest to climate scientists. However, while there is plenty of global data about rainfall and temperature, measuring airflow throughout the atmosphere is next to impossible. Adding to the quandary, the various models seeking to make sense of the Hadley cells have been found to contradict one another.

Global climate models, which are used for climate projections, indicate that the northern Hadley cell has weakened over the past few decades, whereas observation-based analyses suggest the exact opposite.

An uncertainty over a system that is so essential to Earth's climate detracts from the researchers' ability to assess how much humans have contributed to recent climate change. This, in turn, undermines the credibility of climate projections, making it ever harder to formulate policies required for dealing with the climate crisis. The latest report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, the most important document in the field, makes a special point of this issue.

In a paper published in Nature, Dr. Rei Chemke, of the Earth and Planetary Sciences Department at the Weizmann Institute of Science, and Dr. Janni Yuval, of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, address the uncertainty that has plagued the existing models for the past two decades. They propose an observation-based method for measuring the intensity of airflow in the Hadley cells.

To tackle the challenge, Chemke and Yuval looked for readily available data they could use to formulate a new way of measuring the cells' intensity. After examining physics equations describing airflow, they identified a relationship between the Hadley cell intensity and a constantly monitored parameter: air pressure at sea level.

They then examined observational data collected over several decades and reached the conclusion that the intensity of the northern Hadley cell has indeed been weakening—just as suggested by global climate models. Moreover, they were able to show with a high level of certainty that this weakening has been the result of human activity and will likely continue in the future.

What, then, is to be expected? Over the coming decades, the weakening of the northern Hadley cell is likely to mitigate the projected precipitation changes at low latitudes. It will act to temper both the increase of rainfall in equatorial regions and the reduction of rainfall in the subtropical regions. This tempering, however, might only reduce, but not overcome, the projected aridification and desertification of Israel.

Rei Chemke et al, Human-induced weakening of the Northern Hemisphere tropical circulation, Nature (2023)
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-023-05903-1

binntho

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 878
  • Likes Given: 235
Israel? Anyway, very interesting article vox!
because a thing is eloquently expressed it should not be taken to be as necessarily true
St. Augustine, Confessions V, 6

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #495 on: July 04, 2023, 05:09:55 PM »
Weizmann Institute of Science is in Israel (in the town where my parents live) and the MIT researcher has an Israeli name. I am guessing the focus of the study was on Israel as it sits on the border of the desert and is vulnerable to desertification if it creeps north.

binntho

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 878
  • Likes Given: 235
« Reply #496 on: July 04, 2023, 05:57:08 PM »
A bit parochial though.
because a thing is eloquently expressed it should not be taken to be as necessarily true
St. Augustine, Confessions V, 6

morganism

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 215
  • Likes Given: 124
« Reply #497 on: July 06, 2023, 12:34:42 AM »
(Say more wavy jet stream and SSTs are coming this winter...)

A Stratospheric wind anomaly is developing over the Equator, expected to impact the Weather along the El Nino in the next Winter Season

The image below from a QBO study shows a combination of El Nino, east QBO, and low sea ice extent. Marked in the yellow box is the Polar winter circulation in the stratosphere over the Northern Hemisphere. You can see that the combination of an El Nino, negative (east) QBO, and low sea ice produces a weaker winter polar circulation.

https://www.severe-weather.eu/long-range-2/winter-2023-2024-qbo-polar-vortex-el-nino-weather-impact-united-states-canada-europe-fa/

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: September 02, 2023, 02:33:24 AM »
New Research Explains 'Atlantification' of the Arctic Ocean
https://phys.org/news/2023-09-atlantification-arctic-ocean.html

New research by an international team of scientists explains what's behind a stalled trend in Arctic Ocean sea ice loss since 2007. The findings indicate that stronger declines in sea ice will occur when an atmospheric feature known as the Arctic dipole reverses itself in its recurring cycle.

The many environmental responses to the Arctic dipole are described in a paper published online today in the journal Science. This analysis helps explain how North Atlantic water influences Arctic Ocean climate. Scientists call it Atlantification.

... "This is a multidisciplinary view on what's going on in the Arctic and beyond," Polyakov said of the new research. "Our analysis covered the atmosphere, ocean, ice, changing continents and changing biology in response to climate change."

A wealth of data, including direct instrumental observations, reanalysis products and satellite information going back several decades, shows that the Arctic dipole alternates in an approximately 15-year cycle and that the system is probably at the end of the present regime.

In the Arctic dipole's present "positive" regime, which scientists say has been in place since 2007, high pressure is centered over the Canadian sector of the Arctic and produces clockwise winds. Low pressure is centered over the Siberian Arctic and features counterclockwise winds.

This wind pattern drives upper ocean currents, with year-round effects on regional air temperatures, atmosphere-ice-ocean heat exchanges, sea-ice drift and exports, and ecological consequences.

The authors write that, "Water exchanges between the Nordic seas and the Arctic Ocean are critically important for the state of the Arctic climate system" and that sea ice decline is "a true indicator of climate change."

In analyzing oceanic responses to the wind pattern since 2007, the researchers found decreased flow from the Atlantic Ocean into the Arctic Ocean through the Fram Strait east of Greenland, along with increased Atlantic flow into the Barents Sea, located north of Norway and western Russia.

The new research refers to these alternating changes in the Fram Strait and the Barents Sea as a "switchgear mechanism" caused by the Arctic dipole regimes.

The researchers also found that counterclockwise winds from the low-pressure region under the current positive Arctic dipole regime drive freshwater from Siberian rivers into the Canadian sector of the Arctic Ocean.

This westward movement of freshwater from 2007 to 2021 helped slow the overall loss of sea ice in the Arctic compared to 1992 through 2006. The freshwater layer's depth increased, making it too thick and stable to mix with the heavier saltwater below. The thick layer of freshwater prevents the warmer saltwater from melting sea ice from the bottom.

The authors write that the switchgear mechanism regulating inflows of sub-Arctic waters has "profound" impacts on marine life. It can lead to potentially more suitable living conditions for sub-Arctic boreal species near the eastern part of the Eurasian Basin, relative to its western part.

... "We are beyond the peak of the currently positive Arctic dipole regime, and at any moment it could switch back again," ... "This could have significant climatological repercussions, including a potentially faster pace of sea-ice loss across the entire Arctic and sub-Arctic climate systems."

Igor V. Polyakov et al, Fluctuating Atlantic inflows modulate Arctic atlantification, Science (2023).
https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/science.adh5158

Sheldon Bacon, Arctic sea ice, ocean, and climate evolution, Science (2023)
https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/science.adj8469

Abstract

Enhanced warm, salty subarctic inflows drive high-latitude atlantification, which weakens oceanic stratification, amplifies heat fluxes, and reduces sea ice. In this work, we show that the atmospheric Arctic Dipole (AD) associated with anticyclonic winds over North America and cyclonic winds over Eurasia modulates inflows from the North Atlantic across the Nordic Seas. The alternating AD phases create a “switchgear mechanism.” From 2007 to 2021, this switchgear mechanism weakened northward inflows and enhanced sea-ice export across Fram Strait and increased inflows throughout the Barents Sea. By favoring stronger Arctic Ocean circulation, transferring freshwater into the Amerasian Basin, boosting stratification, and lowering oceanic heat fluxes there after 2007, AD+ contributed to slowing sea-ice loss. A transition to an AD− phase may accelerate the Arctic sea-ice decline, which would further change the Arctic climate system.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2023, 02:43:20 AM by vox_mundi »

Glen Koehler

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: September 08, 2023, 04:00:07 AM »
Pengfei Zhang, Gang Chen, Mingfang Ting, L. Ruby Leung, Bin Guan & Laifang Li. February, 2023. More frequent atmospheric rivers slow the seasonal recovery of Arctic sea ice. Nature Climate Change.  https://www.nature.com/articles/s41558-023-01599-3

Abstract
     "In recent decades, Arctic sea-ice coverage underwent a drastic decline in winter, when sea ice is expected to recover following the melting season. It is unclear to what extent atmospheric processes such as atmospheric rivers (ARs), intense corridors of moisture transport, contribute to this reduced recovery of sea ice. Here, using observations and climate model simulations, we find a robust frequency increase in ARs in early winter over the Barents– Kara Seas and the central Arctic for 1979–2021. The moisture carried by more frequent ARs has intensified surface downward longwave radiation and rainfall, caused stronger melting of thin, fragile ice cover and slowed the seasonal recovery of sea ice, accounting for 34% of the sea-ice cover decline in the Barents–Kara Seas and central Arctic. A series of model ensemble experiments suggests that, in addition to a uniform AR increase in response to anthropogenic warming, tropical Pacific variability also contributes to the observed Arctic AR changes."

Excerpt from Conclusions
    "The increased frequency of Arctic ARs, in turn, is mainly driven by thermodynamics (warming).  The AR frequency increase manifests the intensifying hydrological cycle in the Arctic, and could exert impacts beyond hydrology and the cryosphere.  Combined with more frequent cyclones in the central Arctic and Chukchi Sea, the resultant rainfall and snowfall are expected to undergo pronounced changes, leading to a more stormy Arctic."   (bolding added)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2023, 04:43:35 AM by Glen Koehler »