Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Comet Ison, methane, noctilucents and Strat temps?  (Read 2821 times)

Gray-Wolf

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 122
  • Likes Given: 319
Comet Ison, methane, noctilucents and Strat temps?
« on: June 25, 2013, 12:59:56 PM »
Whilst looking forward to the show this Nov/december I became aware of the Jan 12th event ( and week following) where we pass through the dust stream left by the Comet as it passes.

We are told that this 'debris' is too small to give us a traditional meteor shower but that the 'dust' will act as condensation nucliei in the upper strat leading to possible noctilucent displays for many months ( right into the normal 'season' for them?)

I then began to mull what impacts this 'dust' may bring with it to the global environment. I know the debate on trop clouds appears to be leaning toward them re-inforcing warming by trapping more heat but would the same apply to an unusual concentration of noctilucent clouds?

Current research also puts 'methane' in the frame for introducing water vapour into the upper strat ( oxidation of the CH4 leadingto H2O) and so we might be currently 'seeding' the strat with our increases in methane?

I have no idea of how long it takes for a methane molecule to rise from ground level to the upper atmosphere  and so do not know whether a 'summer season' of methane production is presented in the Stratosphere over the following winter?

Current temps over Alaksa and Siberia would suggest that we will show a 'peak' in methane production over the permafrost/wetlands there? Could this be preparing the Strat for Isons cargo of dust on Jan 12th?
KOYAANISQATSI

ko.yaa.nis.katsi (from the Hopi language), n. 1. crazy life. 2. life in turmoil. 3. life disintegrating. 4. life out of balance. 5. a state of life that calls for another way of living.

VIRESCIT VULNERE VIRTUS

Rod

Re: Comet Ison, methane, noctilucents and Strat temps?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2019, 01:18:08 AM »
Something interesting has been happening during the last few weeks.  Noctilucent clouds are being seen worldwide at latitudes far below where they have ever been seen before.

Noctilucent clouds are very high in our atmosphere, approximately 50 miles up.  They glow at night because they are high enough to be illuminated by the sun. 

There are no reports of Noctilucent clouds ever being observed prior to the industrial revolution.  In order to form, they need dust in the atmosphere and water vapor that forms ice crystals very high up.  As Gray-Wolf points out above (in a six year old post) methane has been identified as helping to induce water vapor ice crystals in the highest parts of our atmosphere. 

Noctilucent clouds might be a marker for increased atmospheric methane levels.  “Our planet’s idiot light.”  More methane means it is more likely to see them.  Methane levels are currently at record levels.   

Mark Boslough is a scientist that recently started a thread on Twitter discussing how unusual it is that this summer we are seeing Noctilucent clouds at such low latitudes. 

Below are screen shots of four of his posts.  If you find this topic interesting, I encourage you to search his name on Twitter and read the entire thread.  I found it fascinating. 

vox_mundi

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2403
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2019, 01:42:38 AM »
Very interesting. Thanks Rod.  :)
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― Leonardo da Vinci

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 604
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2019, 01:43:15 AM »
I've been seeing them for years here in N. Ireland .. until this non-summer ..

Last year I spent a night vigil on the N. Coast of Donegal awaiting mid-summer sunrise in alignment with the Great glen fault in Scotland .  I was kept company by a beautiful display of noctilucent clouds through the hours of 'simmer dim' .
 The sun rose perfectly aligned with the glen ,immediately passing over the 3 perfectly pyramidal Paps of Jura .. and I had my explanation for an alignment of neolithic sites in Ireland .. :) .. b.c.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 08:46:22 AM by be cause »
2007 + 5 = 2012 + 4 = 2016 + 3 = 2019 + 2 = 2021 + 1 =  ' if only we could have seen it coming ' ...

Rod

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2019, 02:20:01 AM »
I've been seeing them for years here in N. Ireland .. until this non-summer.

That is an interesting observation that you are not seeing them in N. Ireland where they are expected to be seen, but they are showing up as far south as New Mexico and Southern California.  🤔

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 604
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2019, 02:47:10 AM »
sorry Rod .. more to do with the weather .. too many regular clouds .. and it's cold out .. b.c.
2007 + 5 = 2012 + 4 = 2016 + 3 = 2019 + 2 = 2021 + 1 =  ' if only we could have seen it coming ' ...

Rod

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2019, 03:04:00 AM »
sorry Rod .. more to do with the weather .. too many regular clouds .. and it's cold out .. b.c.

Damn weather!  Send some of that cold to Siberia and save us from this terrible melting season 😂

b_lumenkraft

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2019, 05:46:24 AM »

vox_mundi

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2403
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2020, 02:35:52 PM »
NASA's AIM Satellite Spots First Arctic Noctilucent Clouds of the Season

These animated images show AIM’s observations from the first week of the Arctic noctilucent cloud season, which began on May 17, 2020. The colors — from dark blue to light blue and bright white — indicate the clouds’ albedo, which refers to the amount of light that a surface reflects compared to the total sunlight that falls upon it. Things that have a high albedo are bright and reflect a lot of light. Things that don’t reflect much light have a low albedo; they are dark.

NASA's Aeronomy of Ice in the Mesosphere spacecraft—AIM for short—first spotted wisps of these noctilucent, or night-shining, clouds over the Arctic on May 17. In the week that followed, the ghost-like wisps grew into a blur, quickly filling more of the Arctic sky. This is the second-earliest start of the northern season yet observed, and the season is expected to run through mid-August.

The seasonal clouds hover high above the ground, about 50 miles overhead in a layer of the atmosphere called the mesosphere. ... The icy clouds, reflecting sunlight, shine bright blue and white. They first appear in summer—around mid-May in the Northern Hemisphere and mid-November in the Southern—when the mesosphere is most humid, with the season's heat lofting moisture up to the sky.

Also known as polar mesospheric clouds (because they tend to huddle around Earth's poles), these clouds help scientists better understand the mesosphere and how it's connected to the rest of the atmosphere, weather and climate.

See also: https://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php/topic,416.msg205648.html#msg205648

for last year's view
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― Leonardo da Vinci

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late