Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Worst consequence of AGW  (Read 3258 times)

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 249
  • Likes Given: 145
Re: Worst consequence of AGW
« Reply #50 on: July 04, 2019, 11:41:47 PM »
Mag,
I wrote nothing of death.  Maybe we're not so different after all!
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things.

TerryM

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 181
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #51 on: July 04, 2019, 11:57:11 PM »
Mag,

If you think that death is the worst thing that life has to offer - you really haven't lived.
Terry

be cause

• Grease ice
  • Citizenship .. a Lurker gets asylum
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 182
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #52 on: July 05, 2019, 12:00:33 AM »
  .. Next birth .. in the post-apocaliptic world ... b.c.
2007 + 5 = 2012 + 4 = 2016 + 3 = 2019 ...

petm

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 248
  • Likes Given: 21
« Reply #53 on: July 05, 2019, 12:27:20 AM »
Worst consequence? Complete ecosystem collapse. Maybe not too late to avert, but little to no chance that humans will take the necessary measures to do so even if it is possible.

Tom_Mazanec

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
    • Planet Mazanec
  • Liked: 96
  • Likes Given: 28
« Reply #54 on: July 05, 2019, 01:52:09 AM »
the worst consequence that is certain and neither guesswork nor a lottery, is
Sea Level Rise by > 60m and hence inundation of most major cities world wide and a huge amount of arable land.

many will probably prefer to be dead than to live with those consequences to the immobile majority.

with immobile i mean no money, no job, no transport etc.

By the time we reach 60 cm, much less 60 m, the increased heat and changed weather patterns would have disrupted food production to a Biblical extent.
SHARKS (CROSSED OUT) MONGEESE (SIC) WITH FRICKIN LASER BEAMS ATTACHED TO THEIR HEADS

KiwiGriff

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 39
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #55 on: July 05, 2019, 02:19:13 AM »
Security of food supply.

“It has been said that civilization is twenty-four hours and two meals away from barbarism.”
― Neil Gaiman, Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch

We have already seen black swan events engendered by Climate Change cause issues with food supply around the globe
These events will continue to increase in frequency.
At some point in the next five decades or less we will see a number of such events coincide causing massive disruption to food supply  mostly in the third world.
Hundreds of millions will starve and a number of country's will irreversible collapse as a result.
The four Horsemen will ride out and take their toll on humanity.
War, famine, pestilence and death.   
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 02:33:16 AM by KiwiGriff »

Rod

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 123
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #56 on: July 05, 2019, 02:35:08 AM »
Hundreds of millions will starve and a number of country's will irreversible collapse as a result.
The four Horsemen will ride out and take their toll on humanity.
War, famine, pestilence and death.   

Well... that is a cheerful thought, but don’t forget climate change goes both ways 🤔. 

magnamentis

« Reply #57 on: July 05, 2019, 03:33:57 AM »
Mag,

you wrote: "Dying, knowing I ......."

IMO dying has a lot to do with death LOL, however, it's only about semantics here, not really groundbreaking.

also i said: "HERE" we are different, that implies else not so much, hence all good, not much difference ;) ;) ;)

some of the details may fall victim to native english terms against translated english. even though i use english more than german or spanish or french etc. nowadays, i'll never really get the same feel for that language like someone who spoke it from childhood + a slang that can't be translated with schoolbooks.

enjoy further :D :D

kassy

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 97
  • Likes Given: 211
« Reply #58 on: July 05, 2019, 03:36:28 PM »
So it´s 2050 (or 2040). The grandkid asks why did you not do anything when you could stop all this?

That should be bad. Not the worst thing compared to all the death that would have occured by then but it is closer to home.

Not gonna happen to me because i decided to buy my mom a copy of The Storms of my Grandchildren at just the right time.

We knew we should have done something last century but making money was more important and for most people what matters is that their lives don´t get any harder so as long as we can consume it´s ok. Wetiko.

And there we go....the Paris goal is not that ambitious and they are slacking over that. All the time the carbon budget shrinks and i think we may well overrun that.

The worst consequence is that we ruin this planet for many future generations.
We will not see the worst of it, just the start.
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

Tom_Mazanec

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
    • Planet Mazanec
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 07:37:44 PM by Tom_Mazanec »
SHARKS (CROSSED OUT) MONGEESE (SIC) WITH FRICKIN LASER BEAMS ATTACHED TO THEIR HEADS

Tom_Mazanec

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
    • Planet Mazanec
« Reply #60 on: July 24, 2019, 06:19:43 PM »
All out thermonuclear war is the worst plausible human disaster, and AGW raises global tensions:
https://www.yaleclimateconnections.org/2019/07/a-brief-introduction-to-climate-change-and-national-security/

Tom_Mazanec

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
    • Planet Mazanec
« Reply #61 on: July 27, 2019, 08:18:53 PM »
This might be last on my list, but first on someone else's: sports
http://news.trust.org/item/20190724035458-18fka/

Tom_Mazanec

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
    • Planet Mazanec
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 01:57:38 AM by Tom_Mazanec »

Tom_Mazanec

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
    • Planet Mazanec

nanning

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 43
  • Likes Given: 2043
« Reply #64 on: August 07, 2019, 07:04:39 AM »
Oh nooo, not the vegan icecream!
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly"

Darvince

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
    • NSIDC Daily
  • Liked: 14
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #65 on: August 07, 2019, 08:15:38 AM »
I feel like, since AGW will impact civilization as a whole in every way, that, if this topic is just listing various things affected by AGW, that we can just post nearly everything that people are currently doing in this thread.

Tom_Mazanec

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
    • Planet Mazanec
« Reply #66 on: August 07, 2019, 11:00:16 AM »
I feel like, since AGW will impact civilization as a whole in every way, that, if this topic is just listing various things affected by AGW, that we can just post nearly everything that people are currently doing in this thread.
Well, when I first posted this thread, I was looking for a consensus on which affect of AGW would be the worst.
But I find a lot of articles giving a miscellaneous accounting of "minor" effects, and since they don't fit anywhere else, and I have resolved not to start any new threads, I put them here.

nanning

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 07, 2019, 05:06:48 PM »
Tea plantations endangered:
https://eos.org/articles/climate-change-could-threaten-your-cuppa
Vegan ice cream threatened:
https://www.columbian.com/news/2019/aug/05/climate-change-is-hurting-vegan-ice-cream-industry/

Hi Tom, I think not all interesting articles should be posted. You should let some things go even though I think you are doing a good job in informing us. Thank you.
But especially vegan icecream is somewhat over the top to post here, don't you think?
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly"

nanning

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 07, 2019, 05:36:40 PM »
Philippines declares dengue epidemic as deaths surge

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-49249144

Some excerpts:
The Philippines has declared a "national dengue epidemic" after at least 622 people lost their lives from the mosquito-borne disease this year.

At least 146,000 cases were recorded from January to 20 July - a 98% increase on the same period last year - the health department said.

I'm sorry if I posted this in the wrong thread.

Tom_Mazanec

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
    • Planet Mazanec
« Reply #69 on: August 08, 2019, 02:21:26 PM »
https://www.columbian.com/news/2019/aug/05/climate-change-is-hurting-vegan-ice-cream-industry/

Hi Tom, I think not all interesting articles should be posted. You should let some things go even though I think you are doing a good job in informing us. Thank you.
But especially vegan icecream is somewhat over the top to post here, don't you think?

There will be thousands of consequences of AGW, dozens of them catastrophic, but most just annoying. You’ll you want me to start a new thread for the annoying ones? And maybe someone else is a lover of vegan ice cream.

DrTskoul

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 174
  • Likes Given: 59
« Reply #70 on: August 08, 2019, 02:48:46 PM »

There will be thousands of consequences of AGW, dozens of them catastrophic, but most just annoying. You’ll you want me to start a new thread for the annoying ones? And maybe someone else is a lover of vegan ice cream.

Fuck no...I rather have my #=@ cut off..

petm

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 248
  • Likes Given: 21
« Reply #71 on: August 08, 2019, 03:05:57 PM »
Climate Change Threatens the World’s Food Supply, United Nations Warns

The world’s land and water resources are being exploited at “unprecedented rates,” a new United Nations report warns, which combined with climate change is putting dire pressure on the ability of humanity to feed itself.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/08/climate/climate-change-food-supply.html

https://www.ipcc.ch/report/srccl/
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 03:17:14 PM by petm »

Tom_Mazanec

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
    • Planet Mazanec

be cause

• Grease ice
  • Citizenship .. a Lurker gets asylum
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 182
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #73 on: August 09, 2019, 02:00:51 AM »
I don't read Tom's posts as they require I consent to advertising and analysis gathering .. they mostly come from unrecognised on-line publications whose aim is profit . Tom .. do you earn a living doing this dumping of 'info' from the advertisers and the anal ysers ? If not I'm sure you could . b.c.
2007 + 5 = 2012 + 4 = 2016 + 3 = 2019 ...

Tom_Mazanec

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
    • Planet Mazanec
« Reply #74 on: August 09, 2019, 02:03:08 AM »
I don't read Tom's posts as they require I consent to advertising and analysis gathering .. they mostly come from unrecognised on-line publications whose aim is profit . Tom .. do you earn a living doing this dumping of 'info' from the advertisers and the anal ysers ? If not I'm sure you could . b.c.

While I find a few others in other places, the bulk of my links comes from https://www.dailyclimate.org/

Tom_Mazanec

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
    • Planet Mazanec
« Reply #75 on: August 10, 2019, 08:17:30 PM »

VideoGameVet

• New ice
  • Video Game Designer, Researcher, Cyclist
    • View Profile
    • The Climate Trail
  • Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #76 on: August 12, 2019, 06:49:21 PM »
In addition to the above, I'd add massive uncontrolled wildfires that drive CO2 levels and are too numerous and powerful to be controlled.

Think "Paradise Fire" x 1m.

"Humans went to the moon on purpose. We destroyed an entire planet by just not caring."

philopek

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
    • Nutrition Secure Solutions
  • Liked: 84
  • Likes Given: 30
« Reply #77 on: August 12, 2019, 07:06:55 PM »
In addition to the above, I'd add massive uncontrolled wildfires that drive CO2 levels and are too numerous and powerful to be controlled.

Think "Paradise Fire" x 1m.

But that intersection will be way below sea-level by then ;) [JK]

Your message is received, just coulnd't resist, hope for some sense of humor ;)

Archimid

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 196
  • Likes Given: 161
« Reply #78 on: August 12, 2019, 08:22:22 PM »
Adding humor to such a dark setting will certainly help lighten things up without resorting to comfortable lies.

I like it so far.

On your economic system, I understand the value of a coin, but seeds in a post apocalypse where the climate is not stable for long enough to grow plants, seeds seem like a bad coin. Unless it's some special seed.

Perhaps later a barter system can be added. Barter is the default human trading method that does not require coin. Trading water for food or food for spare parts seem like the way to go.
I am an energy reservoir seemingly intent on lowering entropy for self preservation.

Tom_Mazanec

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
    • Planet Mazanec
« Reply #79 on: August 13, 2019, 02:40:32 AM »
Matterhorn is becoming too dangerous to climb
(It is shale, not granite, and melting ice and permafrost is lubricating it):
https://www.outsideonline.com/2400768/climate-change-matterhorn-climbing-dangerous
AGW increases mercury in seafood
For every 1 degree the ocean warms, dogfish are exposed to 70 percent more mercury. Cod, which also live in the researchers’ study area off the coast of Maine, are exposed to approximately 32 percent more mercury for every single degree the ocean warms.
https://inhabitat.com/as-ocean-temperatures-rise-so-does-mercury-exposure-in-seafood/
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 02:46:10 AM by Tom_Mazanec »

Tom_Mazanec

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
    • Planet Mazanec
« Reply #80 on: August 17, 2019, 08:45:35 PM »
With the weapons we have, war might be the biggie:
https://www.newsecuritybeat.org/2019/08/search-consensus-climate-conflict-links/
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-019-1300-6
Research findings on the relationship between climate and conflict are diverse and contested. Here we assess the current understanding of the relationship between climate and conflict, based on the structured judgments of experts from diverse disciplines. These experts agree that climate has affected organized armed conflict within countries. However, other drivers, such as low socioeconomic development and low capabilities of the state, are judged to be substantially more influential, and the mechanisms of climate–conflict linkages remain a key uncertainty. Intensifying climate change is estimated to increase future risks of conflict.