Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Worst consequence of AGW  (Read 56707 times)

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 826
Re: Worst consequence of AGW
« Reply #50 on: July 04, 2019, 11:41:47 PM »
Mag,
I wrote nothing of death.  Maybe we're not so different after all!
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #51 on: July 04, 2019, 11:57:11 PM »
Mag,

If you think that death is the worst thing that life has to offer - you really haven't lived.
Terry

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1012
  • Likes Given: 1034
« Reply #52 on: July 05, 2019, 12:00:33 AM »
  .. Next birth .. in the post-apocaliptic world ... b.c.
Conflict is the root of all evil , for being blind it does not see whom it attacks . Yet it always attacks the Son Of God , and the Son of God is you .

petm

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 318
  • Likes Given: 27
« Reply #53 on: July 05, 2019, 12:27:20 AM »
Worst consequence? Complete ecosystem collapse. Maybe not too late to avert, but little to no chance that humans will take the necessary measures to do so even if it is possible.

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #54 on: July 05, 2019, 01:52:09 AM »
the worst consequence that is certain and neither guesswork nor a lottery, is
Sea Level Rise by > 60m and hence inundation of most major cities world wide and a huge amount of arable land.

many will probably prefer to be dead than to live with those consequences to the immobile majority.

with immobile i mean no money, no job, no transport etc.

By the time we reach 60 cm, much less 60 m, the increased heat and changed weather patterns would have disrupted food production to a Biblical extent.

KiwiGriff

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 710
  • Likes Given: 372
« Reply #55 on: July 05, 2019, 02:19:13 AM »
Security of food supply.

“It has been said that civilization is twenty-four hours and two meals away from barbarism.”
― Neil Gaiman, Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch

We have already seen black swan events engendered by Climate Change cause issues with food supply around the globe
These events will continue to increase in frequency.
At some point in the next five decades or less we will see a number of such events coincide causing massive disruption to food supply  mostly in the third world.
Hundreds of millions will starve and a number of country's will irreversible collapse as a result.
The four Horsemen will ride out and take their toll on humanity.
War, famine, pestilence and death.   
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 02:33:16 AM by KiwiGriff »
Animals can be driven crazy by placing too many in too small a pen. Homo sapiens is the only animal that voluntarily does this to himself.
Notebooks of Lazarus Long.
Robert Heinlein.

Rod

« Reply #56 on: July 05, 2019, 02:35:08 AM »
Hundreds of millions will starve and a number of country's will irreversible collapse as a result.
The four Horsemen will ride out and take their toll on humanity.
War, famine, pestilence and death.   

Well... that is a cheerful thought, but don’t forget climate change goes both ways 🤔. 

magnamentis

« Reply #57 on: July 05, 2019, 03:33:57 AM »
Mag,

you wrote: "Dying, knowing I ......."

IMO dying has a lot to do with death LOL, however, it's only about semantics here, not really groundbreaking.

also i said: "HERE" we are different, that implies else not so much, hence all good, not much difference ;) ;) ;)

some of the details may fall victim to native english terms against translated english. even though i use english more than german or spanish or french etc. nowadays, i'll never really get the same feel for that language like someone who spoke it from childhood + a slang that can't be translated with schoolbooks.

enjoy further :D :D

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2042
  • Likes Given: 1986
« Reply #58 on: July 05, 2019, 03:36:28 PM »
So it´s 2050 (or 2040). The grandkid asks why did you not do anything when you could stop all this?

That should be bad. Not the worst thing compared to all the death that would have occured by then but it is closer to home.

Not gonna happen to me because i decided to buy my mom a copy of The Storms of my Grandchildren at just the right time.

We knew we should have done something last century but making money was more important and for most people what matters is that their lives don´t get any harder so as long as we can consume it´s ok. Wetiko.

And there we go....the Paris goal is not that ambitious and they are slacking over that. All the time the carbon budget shrinks and i think we may well overrun that.

The worst consequence is that we ruin this planet for many future generations.
We will not see the worst of it, just the start.
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

Tom_Mazanec

« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 07:37:44 PM by Tom_Mazanec »

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #60 on: July 24, 2019, 06:19:43 PM »
All out thermonuclear war is the worst plausible human disaster, and AGW raises global tensions:
https://www.yaleclimateconnections.org/2019/07/a-brief-introduction-to-climate-change-and-national-security/

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #61 on: July 27, 2019, 08:18:53 PM »
This might be last on my list, but first on someone else's: sports
http://news.trust.org/item/20190724035458-18fka/

Tom_Mazanec

« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 01:57:38 AM by Tom_Mazanec »

Tom_Mazanec

nanning

• Nilas ice
  • 0Kg CO₂, 37 KWh/wk,125L H₂O/wk, No offspring
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 273
  • Likes Given: 23170
« Reply #64 on: August 07, 2019, 07:04:39 AM »
Oh nooo, not the vegan icecream!
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly" - Bertrand Russell
"It is preoccupation with what other people from your groups think of you, that prevents you from living freely and nobly" - Nanning
Why do you keep accumulating stuff?

Darvince

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 31
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #65 on: August 07, 2019, 08:15:38 AM »
I feel like, since AGW will impact civilization as a whole in every way, that, if this topic is just listing various things affected by AGW, that we can just post nearly everything that people are currently doing in this thread.

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #66 on: August 07, 2019, 11:00:16 AM »
I feel like, since AGW will impact civilization as a whole in every way, that, if this topic is just listing various things affected by AGW, that we can just post nearly everything that people are currently doing in this thread.
Well, when I first posted this thread, I was looking for a consensus on which affect of AGW would be the worst.
But I find a lot of articles giving a miscellaneous accounting of "minor" effects, and since they don't fit anywhere else, and I have resolved not to start any new threads, I put them here.

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 07, 2019, 05:06:48 PM »
Tea plantations endangered:
https://eos.org/articles/climate-change-could-threaten-your-cuppa
Vegan ice cream threatened:
https://www.columbian.com/news/2019/aug/05/climate-change-is-hurting-vegan-ice-cream-industry/

Hi Tom, I think not all interesting articles should be posted. You should let some things go even though I think you are doing a good job in informing us. Thank you.
But especially vegan icecream is somewhat over the top to post here, don't you think?
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly" - Bertrand Russell
"It is preoccupation with what other people from your groups think of you, that prevents you from living freely and nobly" - Nanning

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 07, 2019, 05:36:40 PM »
Philippines declares dengue epidemic as deaths surge

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-49249144

Some excerpts:
The Philippines has declared a "national dengue epidemic" after at least 622 people lost their lives from the mosquito-borne disease this year.

At least 146,000 cases were recorded from January to 20 July - a 98% increase on the same period last year - the health department said.

I'm sorry if I posted this in the wrong thread.

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #69 on: August 08, 2019, 02:21:26 PM »
https://www.columbian.com/news/2019/aug/05/climate-change-is-hurting-vegan-ice-cream-industry/

Hi Tom, I think not all interesting articles should be posted. You should let some things go even though I think you are doing a good job in informing us. Thank you.
But especially vegan icecream is somewhat over the top to post here, don't you think?

There will be thousands of consequences of AGW, dozens of them catastrophic, but most just annoying. You’ll you want me to start a new thread for the annoying ones? And maybe someone else is a lover of vegan ice cream.

DrTskoul

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 210
  • Likes Given: 60
« Reply #70 on: August 08, 2019, 02:48:46 PM »

There will be thousands of consequences of AGW, dozens of them catastrophic, but most just annoying. You’ll you want me to start a new thread for the annoying ones? And maybe someone else is a lover of vegan ice cream.

Fuck no...I rather have my #=@ cut off..

petm

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 318
  • Likes Given: 27
« Reply #71 on: August 08, 2019, 03:05:57 PM »
Climate Change Threatens the World’s Food Supply, United Nations Warns

The world’s land and water resources are being exploited at “unprecedented rates,” a new United Nations report warns, which combined with climate change is putting dire pressure on the ability of humanity to feed itself.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/08/climate/climate-change-food-supply.html

https://www.ipcc.ch/report/srccl/
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 03:17:14 PM by petm »

Tom_Mazanec

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1012
  • Likes Given: 1034
« Reply #73 on: August 09, 2019, 02:00:51 AM »
I don't read Tom's posts as they require I consent to advertising and analysis gathering .. they mostly come from unrecognised on-line publications whose aim is profit . Tom .. do you earn a living doing this dumping of 'info' from the advertisers and the anal ysers ? If not I'm sure you could . b.c.
Conflict is the root of all evil , for being blind it does not see whom it attacks . Yet it always attacks the Son Of God , and the Son of God is you .

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #74 on: August 09, 2019, 02:03:08 AM »
I don't read Tom's posts as they require I consent to advertising and analysis gathering .. they mostly come from unrecognised on-line publications whose aim is profit . Tom .. do you earn a living doing this dumping of 'info' from the advertisers and the anal ysers ? If not I'm sure you could . b.c.

While I find a few others in other places, the bulk of my links comes from https://www.dailyclimate.org/

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #75 on: August 10, 2019, 08:17:30 PM »

VideoGameVet

• New ice
  • Video Game Designer, Researcher, Cyclist
    • View Profile
    • The Climate Trail
  • Liked: 24
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #76 on: August 12, 2019, 06:49:21 PM »
In addition to the above, I'd add massive uncontrolled wildfires that drive CO2 levels and are too numerous and powerful to be controlled.

Think "Paradise Fire" x 1m.

"Humans went to the moon on purpose. We destroyed an entire planet by just not caring."

philopek

« Reply #77 on: August 12, 2019, 07:06:55 PM »
In addition to the above, I'd add massive uncontrolled wildfires that drive CO2 levels and are too numerous and powerful to be controlled.

Think "Paradise Fire" x 1m.

But that intersection will be way below sea-level by then ;) [JK]

Your message is received, just coulnd't resist, hope for some sense of humor ;)

Archimid

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 899
  • Likes Given: 206
« Reply #78 on: August 12, 2019, 08:22:22 PM »
Adding humor to such a dark setting will certainly help lighten things up without resorting to comfortable lies.

I like it so far.

On your economic system, I understand the value of a coin, but seeds in a post apocalypse where the climate is not stable for long enough to grow plants, seeds seem like a bad coin. Unless it's some special seed.

Perhaps later a barter system can be added. Barter is the default human trading method that does not require coin. Trading water for food or food for spare parts seem like the way to go.
I am an energy reservoir seemingly intent on lowering entropy for self preservation.

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #79 on: August 13, 2019, 02:40:32 AM »
Matterhorn is becoming too dangerous to climb
(It is shale, not granite, and melting ice and permafrost is lubricating it):
https://www.outsideonline.com/2400768/climate-change-matterhorn-climbing-dangerous
AGW increases mercury in seafood
For every 1 degree the ocean warms, dogfish are exposed to 70 percent more mercury. Cod, which also live in the researchers’ study area off the coast of Maine, are exposed to approximately 32 percent more mercury for every single degree the ocean warms.
https://inhabitat.com/as-ocean-temperatures-rise-so-does-mercury-exposure-in-seafood/
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 02:46:10 AM by Tom_Mazanec »

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #80 on: August 17, 2019, 08:45:35 PM »
With the weapons we have, war might be the biggie:
https://www.newsecuritybeat.org/2019/08/search-consensus-climate-conflict-links/
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-019-1300-6
Research findings on the relationship between climate and conflict are diverse and contested. Here we assess the current understanding of the relationship between climate and conflict, based on the structured judgments of experts from diverse disciplines. These experts agree that climate has affected organized armed conflict within countries. However, other drivers, such as low socioeconomic development and low capabilities of the state, are judged to be substantially more influential, and the mechanisms of climate–conflict linkages remain a key uncertainty. Intensifying climate change is estimated to increase future risks of conflict.

Bugalugs

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 16
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #81 on: August 19, 2019, 02:39:12 AM »
This is the worst consequence IMO .... https://www.newscientist.com/article/2213529-plant-growth-has-declined-drastically-around-the-world-due-to-dry-air/

Forests seem affected. Will crops be affected?

Interesting to note that there was initial global greening into the late 1990s, presumably from raised CO2, which has now changed to browning as a consequence of vapour pressure deficit.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 03:40:06 AM by Bugalugs »

Juan C. García

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1279
  • Likes Given: 1127
« Reply #82 on: August 19, 2019, 04:33:06 AM »
The worst consequence would be that humanity loses the control of Anthropogenic Global Warming and we start a new extinction, like the one that happened at the end of the Permian era.
This event is described in Neil DeGrasse's Cosmos chapter "The Lost Worlds of Planet Earth".

Of course, it will not be identical, but the question is if humanity can lose control and what could happen next.
Which is the best answer to Sep-2012 ASI lost (compared to 1979-2000)?
50% [NSIDC Extent] or
73% [PIOMAS Volume]

Volume is harder to measure than extent, but 3-dimensional space is real, 2D's hide ~50% thickness gone.
-> IPCC/NSIDC trends [based on extent] underestimate the real speed of ASI lost.

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 19, 2019, 11:11:09 AM »
This is the worst consequence IMO .... https://www.newscientist.com/article/2213529-plant-growth-has-declined-drastically-around-the-world-due-to-dry-air/

Forests seem affected. Will crops be affected?

Interesting to note that there was initial global greening into the late 1990s, presumably from raised CO2, which has now changed to browning as a consequence of vapour pressure deficit.

vox-mundi has recently made a post about this with more information:
https://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php/topic,1786.msg222302.html#msg222302

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 19, 2019, 11:14:03 AM »
The worst consequence would be that humanity loses the control of Anthropogenic Global Warming and we start a new extinction, like the one that happened at the end of the Permian era.
This event is described in Neil DeGrasse's Cosmos chapter "The Lost Worlds of Planet Earth".

Of course, it will not be identical, but the question is if humanity can lose control and what could happen next.

[sarc]
You think humanity has control?  :o
[/sarc]

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #85 on: August 27, 2019, 09:12:38 PM »
The toxic waste threat that climate change is making worse
https://www.politico.com/story/2019/08/26/toxic-waste-climate-change-worse-1672998
More than 100 storage sites for coal-burning power plants’ toxic leftovers lie in areas that federal emergency managers have labeled a high risk for flooding, according to POLITICO’s examination of government and industry data.

That finding comes as scientists and pollution experts warn that coal ash — a multibillion-dollar liability problem for communities across the country — may become an even greater danger because of heavier rains triggered by climate change. Already, federal agencies warn that the government’s flood maps most likely understate the risks of deluges in much of the country, including the Southeast, where at least 42 storage sites in POLITICO’s analysis are located.

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #86 on: August 29, 2019, 11:02:46 PM »
From Yemen to South Sudan, climate and water stress seen worsening conflict
http://news.trust.org/item/20190828194523-tnitl/
Social and political tensions fuelled by climate change have yet to translate into international military confrontations, but local conflicts are heating up due to pressures such as drought and water scarcity, officials and researchers said on Wednesday.

In fragile states like Yemen and South Sudan, competition for scarce natural resources is increasing while a growing need for humanitarian aid undermines states' ability to deal with climate risks, said Johan Schaar of the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute.

bligh8

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 56
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #87 on: August 30, 2019, 04:32:03 AM »
I read a paper several days ago that I thought was to alarmist even for this forum, so I just forgot about it .. except here's the thing, within that paper they predicted one million AGW related deaths per week by the middle of the next decade.  After some thought and reading abit this does not sound to outlandish .. and, @ 1 million deaths per week, the global population would still be growing.

bligh

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #88 on: August 30, 2019, 08:39:45 AM »
I read a paper several days ago that I thought was to alarmist even for this forum, so I just forgot about it .. except here's the thing, within that paper they predicted one million AGW related deaths per week by the middle of the next decade.  After some thought and reading abit this does not sound to outlandish .. and, @ 1 million deaths per week, the global population would still be growing.

bligh

That figure is very disturbing  - Twice over!
Terry

Klondike Kat

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 40
  • Likes Given: 56
« Reply #89 on: August 30, 2019, 01:48:13 PM »

bligh
WHO estimated that between 2030 and 2050 an additionally quarter million deaths per year will occur due to heat exposure (mostly in the elderly) and an additional number due to disease and malnutrition (mostly in the young).  That adds up to half a million per year or 10,000 per week.

https://www.who.int/globalchange/publications/quantitative-risk-assessment/en/

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #90 on: September 04, 2019, 06:23:40 PM »
Gracious, does this mean I won't be able to get wine with Communion any more?  ;D
Watch: Climate change hits Greek wine as grape harvest falls 30%
https://www.euronews.com/2019/09/02/watch-climate-change-hits-greek-wine-as-grape-harvest-falls-30

Climate change is creating new challenges for Greek wine producers. The grape harvest is down 30 per cent since 2018 and 50 per cent from 2017, according to one Santorini winery's chief oenologist.

Winemakers fear that Increasing temperatures are also changing the character of the remaining grapes – Santorini wines are famously sharp but higher temperatures could change the acidity of grape varietals and result in a more fruity, sweeter wine in the future.

And forget about eating banana splits
Climate change could cause global banana shortage
https://metro.co.uk/2019/09/02/climate-change-cause-global-banana-shortage-10672301/
A new study shows that global production of bananas could be threatened by global warming. It shows that in 27 countries which account for 86% of global dessert banana production, climate change has so far resulted in more favourable conditions for the crop. However, if things continue as they have done, the gains will reduce or disappear completely by 2050.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 06:35:00 PM by Tom_Mazanec »

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #91 on: September 07, 2019, 01:08:20 AM »
Climate Gentrification: Coming to a Community Near You
https://www.motherjones.com/environment/2019/09/climate-gentrification-coming-to-a-community-near-you/
“Climate gentrification is when the response to climate impacts indirectly increases disparities in communities,” Jennie Stephens, director for strategic research collaborations at Northeastern’s Global Resilience Institute, says. Wealthy people seeking refuge from the effects of climate change are starting to move into neighborhoods that were once considered undesirable. The term is fairly new, but there are already examples of this new kind of gentrification taking place—and not just in coastal areas. “It can happen and it is happening in all kinds of communities,” Stephens says.

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #92 on: September 09, 2019, 06:00:34 PM »
Climate change is coming for your wine. What the world's wineries are doing to save grapes
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/09/08/climate-change-threatens-worlds-wineries-which-grapes-saved/2136457001/
Soaring temperatures, irregular rain patterns and the ever-present threat of fires is causing winery owners here and around the world to adopt aggressive strategies to safeguard their livelihoods. These tactics include experimenting with new varieties of grapes, finding new ways to maximize water use and even seeking out land in areas that formerly were too cold for vineyards.

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #93 on: September 11, 2019, 08:35:07 PM »
Climate crisis is greatest ever threat to human rights, UN warns
https://www.theguardian.com/law/2019/sep/09/climate-crisis-human-rights-un-michelle-bachelet-united-nations
The UN rights chief, Michelle Bachelet, cited the civil wars sparked by a warming planet and the plight of indigenous people in an Amazon ravaged by wildfires and rampant deforestation.

She also denounced attacks on environmental activists, particularly in Latin America, and the abuse aimed at high-profile figures such as the teenage campaigner Greta Thunberg.

“The world has never seen a threat to human rights of this scope,” she told the UN human rights council in Geneva.

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #94 on: September 13, 2019, 10:27:28 PM »
Could Climate Change Benefit Companies Like Amazon
https://www.inverse.com/article/59190-climate-change-amazon-shopping-consumer-trends
According to a new report from the Federal Reserve, extreme weather caused by climate change could have a significant impact on in-person retail sales in the not-too-distant future, but it’s unclear if online retailers will benefit.

When the weather is bad, author Brigitte Roth Tran found, people are less likely to go shopping. This is both harmful to the stores seeing a decline in sales and to the employees who might see fewer shifts available due to a lack of foot traffic. However, this doesn’t necessarily mean people will simply choose to order everything they need online.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1153
  • Likes Given: 430
« Reply #95 on: September 14, 2019, 02:04:55 PM »
Climate Reality: "September 1 is now a day etched into the marble of Bahamian history and Bahamian memory. But it’s also a day that should be remembered the world over: the day that our accumulated choices and our inaction against climate change swelled into a storm."
https://mobile.twitter.com/climatereality/status/1172640867066290176

Hurricane Dorian Was a Climate Injustice
The Bahamas has been struck by many of the storms that have plowed through the Caribbean in the last few decades: Hurricane Andrew, Hurricane Floyd, Ike, Matthew, Irma, and so on. We’re familiar with their destruction, and so we have our protocols, our shelters, our rigorous building codes, and our years and years of experience. We also have the stories that have been passed down through generations, the ones that taught us about the worst dangers of the hurricanes that have hit our archipelago, and the legends of how people survived them.

But that’s no longer enough. “I have never seen nothing like that,” a woman screams at the top of her lungs in a video that was widely shared on Instagram. “There’s not one house in Marsh Harbor that’s standing,” she says. “Dead bodies everywhere.” Her eyes are wide and darting quickly, as if she has just seen a ghost, or many. “That couldn’t have just been a hurricane.”
https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/hurricane-dorian-was-a-climate-injustice
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #96 on: September 18, 2019, 07:17:01 PM »
War is likely the worst consequence of AGW:
The Blood-Dimmed Tide
https://newrepublic.com/article/154953/climate-change-future-global-conflict-nationalism
With all these catastrophic scenarios now daily facts of life, the specter of climate upheaval—long held forth as the urgent, and quite possibly final, imperative to overcome tribal political divisions and the human race’s retrograde hoarding instincts—is acting as an accelerant of global conflict, plunging nationalist powers into a regressive rivalry to seize scarce resources and deny access to putative outsiders of all descriptions. The lineaments of a more equitable, sustainable, and cooperative world sketched out by advocates of a Green New Deal have given way, in stunningly short order, to a race to a new global bottom, equal parts Thomas Hobbes and Mad Max.

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #97 on: September 21, 2019, 12:49:13 AM »
CLIMATE CHANGE FORUM: MORE IMPACTS TO COME, BUT SOME ALREADY ‘IN THE REAR VIEW MIRROR’
https://www.alleghenyfront.org/climate-change-forum-more-impacts-to-come-but-some-already-in-the-rear-view-mirror/
In the 1970s, climate change activist Rafe Pomerance said, “nobody ever heard of the problem. … Now, there’s total recognition globally. The advance in the recognition recently is huge because … many of the impacts that were forecast in those assessments at that time have come to pass. We’re now see climate change — the forecast, still in the windshield, but we’re seeing impacts in the rear view mirror.”

Pomerance and David Roberts, who covers energy and climate change for Vox, spent about an hour talking about climate change challenges and potential solutions at “Energy Policy Then and Now,” a forum produced by the University of Pennsylvania’s Kleinman Center for Energy Policy, Sept. 12 in Philadelphia.

Climate Change Won’t Affect All Washingtonians Equally
https://dcist.com/story/19/09/19/climate-change-wont-affect-all-washingtonians-equally/
“Climate does not work in a vacuum,” says researcher Malini Ranganathan, an assistant professor at American University who co-authored a recent paper arguing for “abolitionist climate justice” in D.C. “It works in unpredictable ways as a catalyst for already existing challenges.”

Climate change is expected to make D.C.’s weather conditions warmer, wetter, and wilder, as the District Department of Energy and Environment’s climate chief recently put it. The District’s poorest residents are already facing enormous challenges around housing and health. And without significant intervention, advocates say that rising temperatures, increased rain, and more intense flooding will almost certainly exacerbate these interrelated problems.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 01:31:04 AM by Tom_Mazanec »

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #98 on: September 24, 2019, 08:06:18 PM »
Consequences getting worse at accelerating rate:
Climate change impact accelerating: report
https://www.news.com.au/world/breaking-news/climate-change-impact-accelerating-report/news-story/f4b5086fb6d7359af109395062e81935
Climate change is accelerating, with carbon dioxide levels increasing, sea levels rising and ice sheets melting faster than ever, experts have warned.

The warning from the World Meteorological Organisation forms part of a "united in science" review for a UN climate action summit at which countries are being urged to increase their ambition to tackle emissions.

and
Climate change: Impacts 'accelerating' as leaders gather for UN talks
https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-49773869
The climate statement is a pull-together of the latest science on the causes and growing impacts of unprecedented levels of warming seen in recent years.

Recognising that global temperatures have risen by 1.1 degrees C since 1850, the paper notes they have gone up by 0.2C between 2011 and 2015.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 08:26:56 PM by Tom_Mazanec »

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #99 on: September 25, 2019, 04:41:02 PM »
AGW Consequences September 25

Climate change could stretch our capabilities, Defence Force chief speech warns
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-09-25/australian-defence-force-angus-campbell-climate-change-speech/11543464
Key points:
The Defence Chief's speech warns of the threat climate change poses to Australia's military and deployments
The speech was prepared for General Angus Campbell for an invitation-only event in regional NSW
It stated that climate change disasters have required more Australian personnel than the Afghan war
My cousin was in the army in Europe and took part in helping recovery in Italy from an earthquake, so the military is on the frontlines of disasters.

Could Massive Storm Surge Barriers End the Hudson River’s Revival?
https://e360.yale.edu/features/could-massive-storm-surge-barriers-end-the-hudson-rivers-revival
As threats from major storms increase, authorities are proposing surge barriers to protect New York Harbor. Some ecologists are concerned these giant barriers could have serious consequences for the Hudson, now hailed for its much-heralded recovery, and for other area waters.
They will have to put up such barriers, but they will have unintended consequences. Trying to prevent flooding damage (which will only work for a short time as SLR continues) will at the same time harm the ecology.

Zimbabwe’s capital runs dry as taps cut off for 2M people
https://www.apnews.com/4e12b39584dc4f8eaf6796b9582ada56
Tempers flared on Tuesday as more than 2 million residents of Zimbabwe’s capital and surrounding towns found themselves without water after authorities shut down the main treatment plant, raising new fears about disease after a cholera outbreak while the economy crumbles even more.

Officials in Harare have struggled to raise foreign currency to import water treatment chemicals; about $2.7 million is needed per month. Meanwhile, water levels in polluted reservoirs are dropping because of drought.
No particular drought can be blamed on AGW. However, AGW does increase the likelihood of droughts in many parts of the world (for example, the western half of the contiguous US, or southern Europe, IIRC). This could be the city your children live in.

World's oceans are losing power to stall climate change
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-019-02897-7?utm_source=twt_nnc&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=naturenews&sf220065067=1
The special report on oceans and ice by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) warns that without steep cuts to greenhouse gas emissions, fisheries will falter, the average strength of hurricanes will increase, and rising seas will increase the risk of flooding in low-lying areas around the globe.
They also upped their SLR estimate for 2100 to 1.1 meters. AS has been noted elsewhere here, the IPCC is, if anything, conservative.

Fire threat brings power cuts to thousands in California
https://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/fire-threat-brings-power-cuts-thousands-california-65842744
Tens of thousands of Northern Californians will find themselves without electricity Wednesday as Pacific Gas & Electric cuts power to reduce the threat of hot, dry, gusty weather knocking down power lines and sparking wildfires.
A year or two ago, we had a blackout here in Twinsburg for half a week, so I know these kind of things are an angina in the gluteus maximus. and as hot, dry weather becomes more prevalent, such anginas will become more common.