Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Worst consequence of AGW  (Read 56691 times)

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2041
  • Likes Given: 1986
Re: Worst consequence of AGW
« Reply #150 on: October 03, 2019, 12:32:18 AM »
I don´t think any of the publicity related to those events did anything. For the majority of people it always was a ´someone else will fix it´ problem or not even on the radar.

Anyway we need action now and that is not fearmongering so it is good that people are starting to put pressure on governments with the protests and also targeted legal action.
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

VideoGameVet

• New ice
  • Video Game Designer, Researcher, Cyclist
    • View Profile
    • The Climate Trail
  • Liked: 24
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #151 on: October 03, 2019, 02:29:55 AM »
Wili, the Kochs spend so much money on misinformation campaigns that your uncle heard climate 'change is a hoax' 100 times more often than the truth. Marketing works.

And for any dollar spend on manipulating the public opinion they earned 100 times the amount by keeping polluting the earth.

Yep

"Humans went to the moon on purpose. We destroyed an entire planet by just not caring."

Archimid

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 899
  • Likes Given: 206
« Reply #152 on: October 03, 2019, 05:24:20 AM »

Odd, as your loast post in when will the arctic be ice-free thread stated that an ice-free condition will occur around 2031 - definitely not next decade.  The evidence that this state will be catastrophic is severly lacking.

Your fear plays tricks on you. I said it was likely to happen next decade, and I said it because to the best of my understanding the most likely date is somewhere around 2031 plus or minus some years. A BOE could happen any year now, given a low enough max volume like  2016-2017 and a strong melt season like 2012, 2016 and 2019. Thus the event of an ice-free Arctic next decade is very possible.

On the destructiveness of an ice-free arctic on the NH climate, I'm so sorry that you don't get it. It is difficult to explain the obvious to someone who doesn't want to understand the obvious.

A very dry, cold, old, central and large part of the world is undergoing an extraordinarily fast change. That change propagates to the rest of the NH. Climate Change like this happened before in the history of the earth, but never as fast (except the dinosaurs) and always followed by extinction.

A change this large, this fast, has certainly not happened in the history of human civilization, much less to a modern world with 7 billion people.

Fearmongering will not help the situation. 

I am not fearmongering, because the threat is as real as it gets. I'm warning whoever would listen about the threat as best as I understand it, and I have made a considerable effort in understanding the threat.

On the other hand, you are telling people to ignore the danger. Pffft. I almost feel sorry for you when you finally realize your error.
I am an energy reservoir seemingly intent on lowering entropy for self preservation.

nukefix

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 27
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #153 on: October 03, 2019, 10:10:03 AM »
Yep

What is the original source of this graph?

Klondike Kat

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 40
  • Likes Given: 56
« Reply #154 on: October 03, 2019, 02:58:13 PM »
Archimid, it is not a matter of "getting it."  I "get it."  We just differ on the outcome.  The arctic sea ice minimum has decreased by more than 40% over the last three decades.  The changes that have resulted have not been catastrophic.  What makes you think that another 40% will make such a big difference.  I am not the only scientist who disagrees with your prediction.

https://climatetippingpoints.info/2019/04/02/fact-check-will-an-ice-free-arctic-trigger-a-climate-catastrophe/

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5289
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #155 on: October 03, 2019, 05:07:08 PM »
Nature abhors a straight line though a straight line might fit the data for a good many years.

Many natural systems can take punishment with little visible effect for a long time until......
My favourite one is adding nitrates and phosphates to a water body with little impact. Then a tiny bit more and poof! Eutrophication.
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #156 on: October 03, 2019, 07:39:20 PM »
In Saratoga Springs, experts talk climate change impacts on invasive species
https://www.timesunion.com/news/article/In-Saratoga-Springs-experts-talk-climate-change-14486536.php
“Longer growing seasons are virtually certain,” said Bethany Bradley, an associate professor of ecology at the University of Massachusetts. With longer seasons due to earlier springs, almost all plants will do better. And  more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere can also promote plant growth. But invasive species – plants, insects or animals — are so-named in part because of their ability to out-compete other species.
Good news/Bad news joke:
Good news - in the long run invasive species are good for biodiversity.
Bad news - the long run is about ten million years.

Soaring eagle films crumbling Alpine glaciers as Earth warms
https://www.kansascity.com/news/nation-world/article235715672.html
Disintegrating permafrost, which now glues a glacier’s rocks together, can cause them to crumble with potentially devastating consequences.
Victor’s flight comes as Italian authorities are scrambling to respond to fears that part of a large Italian glacier near Mont Blanc is on the verge of collapsing. They’ve warned that falling ice could endanger homes and people in the Val Ferret area, a popular hiking area.
At the rate the planet is warming, it’s too late to save the Alps’ glaciers, Freedom Conservation Managing Director Ronald Menzel said. But it’s not too late to fight climate change more broadly. He hopes Victor’s popularity will spur viewers into action.
There are no glaciers within a couple thousand miles of me. Someday there may be none anywhere.

Climate change is coming for our toilets. Here’s how we can stop it.
https://grist.org/article/climate-change-is-coming-for-our-toilets-heres-how-we-can-stop-it/
While the report is not specifically about your bathroom, per se, it shows how a stealthy threat — sea-level rise — could make it more difficult for people with septic systems to flush their toilets. A brief primer on septic systems, which are common in rural areas: The stuff in your toilet goes into an underground tank, where it breaks down (I’m gagging) and gets drained out into a leach field (gross) that’s at least 20 feet from your house. In order to function properly, those drainage fields have to be relatively dry.
My late uncle had a septic tank and had all kinds of problems with it even without sea level rise (he lived in Ohio like me). This is one problem I would not want.

STORM FORCE Storm Lorenzo – Climate change expert’s grim warning for Ireland as he predicts Storm Lorenzo is ‘sign of things to come’
https://www.thesun.ie/news/4615021/irish-weather-forecast-storm-lorenzo-climate-change-warning/
Dr O'Dwyer said that as the earth heats up as a result of climate change, there is more moisture in the atmosphere than cooler air - which is then available to storm systems.
He told the Irish Sun: "As the earth warms as a result of manmade climate change, the atmosphere can contain more moisture than cooler air.
"This extra moisture is available to storm systems, resulting in heavier rainfall. Climate projections suggest an increase in the occurrence of hurricanes into the future."
And he cautioned that Ireland is not ready to feel the force of such weather events.
284 years passed between the Great Storms of 1703 and 1987. How long till the next one?

n Houston, a Rash of Storms Tests the Limits of Coping With Climate Change
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/02/climate/hurricane-adaptation-houston.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Fclimate
Houston’s challenge reflects the dilemma facing cities everywhere: As the climate changes, disasters aren’t just becoming more severe, but also more frequent. So even as the amount of damage increases, governments and residents have less time to repair before the next storm hits. And structural changes that might reduce cities’ exposure require years or decades to complete.
And by the time those adaptations are installed, the effects have grown even greater still.

Washington's coastal tribes are working to escape rising sea levels. A bill in D.C. could help
https://crosscut.com/2019/10/washingtons-coastal-tribes-are-working-escape-rising-sea-levels-bill-dc-could-help
For the Native tribes that have historically lived along Washington’s Pacific coast, the threat of rising waters is real and imminent. As a result, many must grapple with the forced relocation of entire villages to higher ground before their homes are submerged.
D.C. might be able to pay for thousands of Indians to move. Will they be able to pay for millions of people?

VideoGameVet

• New ice
  • Video Game Designer, Researcher, Cyclist
    • View Profile
    • The Climate Trail
  • Liked: 24
  • Likes Given: 4
"Humans went to the moon on purpose. We destroyed an entire planet by just not caring."

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #158 on: October 04, 2019, 04:40:23 PM »
‘Prepare now or pay later’: Financial regulators must account for climate change risk to corporate bottom lines, Citigroup says
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/02/financial-regulators-climate-change-risk-to-corporate-bottom-lines.html
Financial regulators must transform how they account for the economic risks of climate change, Citigroup said in a new report Wednesday.
The report on climate risk comes shortly after a slew of extreme weather events across the world.
Most recently, Hurricane Dorian stalled over and decimated the Bahamas, and raging wildfires have destroyed a large swath of Amazon and Bolivian rainforests.
For major companies across the world, trillions of dollars are at stake as climate change threatens to disrupt their supply chains.
A trillion here, a trillion there, and pretty soon you are talking real money.

Amazon wildfires causing spike in children's breathing problems
https://www.channel3000.com/health/amazon-wildfires-causing-spike-in-childrens-breathing-problems/1128589519
Wildfires raging in the Amazon rainforest are driving a spike in breathing problems and hospitalizations among children in Brazil, according to a new report.
The fires, which have now been burning for months, are posing "a major risk to the health of the population," said the report, published Wednesday by public health research institute Oswaldo Cruz Foundation
My cousin in Colorado commented how bad the air was there from the fires, and Colorado doesn't hold a candle to Brazil.

Heartbreaking photos show emaciated grizzly bears wandering through the Canadian wilderness after freak salmon shortage caused by warming waters and open fish farming - just one month before they're supposed to go into hibernation
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7532501/Heartbreaking-photos-emaciated-grizzly-bears-Canada-salmon-shortage.html
Shocking photos of an emaciated mother grizzly bear and her two starving cubs have gone viral
Photographer Rolf Hicker snapped the animals searching for food on the Knight Inlet in British Columbia
He said he saw the bears several times, desperately searching for food amid a salmon shortage
Commercial fishermen in British Columbia have called this year the worst salmon season in nearly 50 years
A report by Fisheries and Oceans Canada said that climate change is negatively impacting the fish stocks
Each little hole in the ecoweb weakens the natural environment a little more. Eventually it will collapse.

Record Heat Thrusts Hawaii Corals Into ‘New Era’ Of Bleaching
https://www.civilbeat.org/2019/10/record-heat-thrusts-hawaii-corals-into-new-era-of-bleaching/
The reefs have never had to endure such conditions. Marine scientists remain optimistic but warn that time is running out for society to step up.
Corals survived the Permian Extinction. Will they survive the Holocene Extinction?

Tracking the Atlantic Ocean's Inland Creep in Miami-Dade County
https://www.circleofblue.org/2019/world/tracking-the-atlantic-oceans-inland-creep-in-miami-dade-county/
Rising seas are a visible threat to coastal areas. But the danger above is mirrored below in the form of rising salt concentrations in many coastal aquifers. In Miami-Dade County, the USGS study mapped the boundary where salt water meets the base of the Biscayne. Because it is less dense, fresh water sits on top of the saltwater wedge, which is thickest near the coast and thinner inland
Will it be "Water, water, everywhere, and nary a drop to drink?

Radical warming in Siberia leaves millions on unstable ground
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2019/national/climate-environment/climate-change-siberia/
A Washington Post analysis found that the region near the town of Zyryanka, in an enormous wedge of eastern Siberia called Yakutia, has warmed by more than 3 degrees Celsius since preindustrial times — roughly triple the global average.
The permafrost that once sustained farming — and upon which villages and cities are built — is in the midst of a great thaw, blanketing the region with swamps, lakes and odd bubbles of earth that render the land virtually useless.
You would think Siberia would welcome warmer weather, but this shows the answer is "Nope!"

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 826
« Reply #159 on: October 04, 2019, 11:04:43 PM »
Corals survived the Permian Extinction. Will they survive the Holocene Extinction?
The end-Permian extinction event, "during which 96% of marine species were wiped out" [link] had remarkably different kinds of corals before and after the extinction.  Yes, corals then and corals now, but with a 1.5 million year gap in-between, it's like saying "reptiles before and reptiles after the extinction event", with no regard to what type of reptiles.
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #160 on: October 06, 2019, 08:08:40 PM »

A monster grew in the Gulf of Mexico. Here’s why more may follow
https://www.jacksonville.com/news/20191005/monster-grew-in-gulf-of-mexico-heres-why-more-may-follow
Hurricane Michael grew to Category 5 prowess in an overly warm Gulf of Mexico that likely will continue to heat with climate change.
In the record-hot Florida fall of 2018, Hurricane Michael was rabid with hidden energy absorbed from a Gulf of Mexico 4 to 6 degrees warmer than normal
And the sea level in the Gulf of Mexico is rising. And the land is sinking. Get ready to move!

This depressing map of the Arctic lets you track 40 years of melting sea ice
https://www.fastcompany.com/90412968/this-depressing-map-of-the-arctic-lets-you-track-40-years-of-melting-sea-ice
As the world reckons with a climate in crisis, marching in the streets, and demanding world leaders and corporate honchos act to get greenhouse-gas emissions under control, oceans are storing the excess heat made by humankind’s bad choices. As the ocean warms, temperatures under the world’s ice sheets heat up. And as everyone who has ever waited too long to chug a slushy knows, when ice gets warm, it melts. That includes some of the older ice that one NASA researcher says serves as an “insurance policy” for the rest of the ice pack.
Will we live to see this forum's main topic become just a memory?

bbr2314

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 158
  • Likes Given: 53
« Reply #161 on: October 06, 2019, 11:53:48 PM »
The worst consequence of AGW could also technically be its solution. New modeling shows a nuclear exchange on the Indian subcontinent would be very effective in overwhelming the warming residual from +GHG. I wonder if Washington, Moscow, Beijing, London, Paris, Pyongyang, and Tel Aviv would sacrifice a billion or three untouchables so way of life for the elites can continue. I would think it would be perceived to be a reasonable trade-off.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2019/10/misery-of-a-nuclear-war-between-india-and-pakistan-would-be-global/

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #162 on: October 08, 2019, 03:47:16 PM »
bbr2314:
Nuclear winter lasts on the scale of months to years.
Global Warming lasts on the scale of centuries to millennia.
Do we have to have a thousand nuclear wars to solve this problem permanently?

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #163 on: October 08, 2019, 04:26:00 PM »
Climate change poses menace to wild bees
https://www.dailysabah.com/environment/2019/10/07/climate-change-poses-menace-to-wild-bees
With many wild bee species only able to survive within specific temperature ranges, global warming has placed the global bee population in peril.
"Global warming is believed to be a major driver of wild bee declines. Some wild bees can only survive in a narrow range of temperatures. As their habitats get warmer, the places where they can live grow smaller," said Philip Donkersley, senior research associate in entomology – the study of insects – at the U.K.'s Lancaster University.
I once read if all the bees died, humanity would be extinct in two years.

The Gulf Of Maine Is Warming, And Its Whales Are Disappearing
https://www.wgbh.org/news/local-news/2019/10/06/the-gulf-of-maine-is-warming-and-its-whales-are-disappearing
But lately, the whales have been harder and harder to find. Waters in the gulf have been warming, sending the whales' food supply searching for cooler temperatures. The whales have gone with them. Some days this summer, Parker says he didn't spot a single one. Business fell 20%, forcing him to cut his season short.
When they run out of cooler water maybe we can send the Starship Enterprise back in time to get some if Vger comes.

Diseases like West Nile, EEE and flesh-eating bacteria are flourishing due to climate change
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/10/05/climate-change-worsen-diseases-equine-encephalitis-west-nile-dengue-fever/3859382002/
An outbreak of a deadly and rare brain disease has killed at least 11 people in the United States so far this year. Scientists say the mosquito-borne illness, Eastern equine encephalitis, may be worse because of unseasonably warm temperatures. It’s one of just several diseases scientists worry are being affected by climate change.
Which tropical disease do you want to die from?

OPINION: Climate crisis: We are running out of time
http://www.thedutchharborfisherman.com/article/1941climate_crisis_we_are_running_out_of_time
Our Yupik people of Sivuqaq (our traditional name for St. Lawrence Island) are witnesses to the massive die-offs of seabirds, seals and whales. We have coexisted with these animals for thousands of years. These massive die-offs are a warning to us all and a threat to our culture and to the very existence of our Sivuqaq Yupik people of Alaska and the Arctic. We are overwhelmed with concern about the health harms associated with climate change, the loss of sea ice and melting permafrost and the mobilization of chemicals and plastics — these are all interconnected.
We are running out of time!
Actually, we have probably already run out of time.

Peruvian Glaciers Have Shrunk By 30 Percent Since 2000
https://e360.yale.edu/digest/peruvian-glaciers-have-shrunk-by-30-percent-since-2000
Nearly 30 percent of Peru’s glaciers have melted away since 2000, threatening a critical source of drinking water and irrigation for millions of people downstream, according to a new study published in the journal The Cryosphere. Overall, the country lost nearly 8 gigatons of ice from 2000 to 2016, with 170 glaciers — covering an area equivalent to 80,000 soccer fields — disappearing entirely.
If it's not one thing it is another. No part of the world will escape the consequences og AGW.

In the Mountains, Climate Change Is Disrupting Everything, from How Water Flows to When Plants Flower
https://insideclimatenews.org/news/07102019/mountain-climate-change-disruption-glaciers-water-ecosystems-agriculture-plants-food
With ominous orange-gray smoke clouds seething on the western horizon, it's easy to understand how Colorado's highest city and other mountain communities are directly threatened by global warming.
Mountain snowpack is shrinking and melting earlier in the spring. Warmer and longer summers dry out vegetation and increase the threat of wildfires in western mountain forests, where the fire season has lengthened by at least a month since 1979.
The growing wildfire risk is just part of an accelerating cycle of global warming impacts in the world's mountain regions, according to a new Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change report that includes a section focused on mountains for the first time in more than 20 years.
We will be killed by the Orient Express method...a dozen different things working together to finish us off.

Tropical fish, microplastics and disappearing beaches: Climate change along the Central Coast
https://www.kcrw.com/news/shows/kcrw-features/tropical-fish-microplastic-and-disappearing-beaches-climate-change-along-the-central-coast
Butterfly Beach in Montecito is popular among beachgoers. But 30 years from now, there won’t be much of it left to enjoy.
“You're going to have more hours a day where the waves are just lapping up onto the seawall,” said Monique Myers, a California Sea Grant researcher studying the vulnerability of Santa Barbara’s coast.
Sea levels are expected to rise by about a foot by 2050, according to Myers.
And while coasts are getting too much water, interiors are in drought. It's like having to pee while dying of thirst.

What Climate Change Could Do to Cities' Power to Borrow Money
https://www.citylab.com/environment/2019/10/climate-change-could-make-borrowing-costlier-states-and-cities/599464/
Someday soon, analysts will determine that a city or county, or maybe a school district or utility, is so vulnerable to sea level rise, flooding, drought, or wildfire that it is an investment risk.
Already many cities are in a cash crisis situation. What happens if they become considered climate risks?

New England winters are on the decline due to climate change, study says
https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2019/10/07/study-new-england-winters-are-decline-due-climate-change/vvlEmJw38WyF5fIpS7jABP/story.html
New Englanders may take cold, snowy winters for granted, but those are in jeopardy due to climate change — and that could affect everything from forest ecosystems to human health, researchers say.
Alexandra Contosta, assistant professor at the University of New Hampshire’s Earth Systems Research Center, and her team looked at 100 years of weather station data from forests in the northern United States and Canada, and found that milder winters are having widespread impacts, she said.
I don't like winter (as I don't like bees...see above) but I am smart enough o know we need them both.

How extreme sea level events are going to increase in Australia
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/ng-interactive/2019/oct/08/how-extreme-sea-level-events-are-going-to-increase-in-australia
A major new report predicts extreme sea level events that used to occur once every hundred years will occur at least once a year in many regions around the world by 2050.
The Special Report on the Ocean and Cryosphere in a Changing Climate by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change looks at the impacts of climate change on glaciers and ice sheets, sea level rise, extreme sea level events and ocean ecosystems.
With immediate cuts to carbon emissions, scientists expect sea level rise of 30cm-60cm by 2100. Without cuts in carbon emissions, the ocean is expected to rise between 61cm and 110cm.
I will turn 92 in 2050. My uncle is older than that, so I might make it and see the first happen. If you are young enough, you might live to see 2100 and see the real disaster.

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #164 on: October 10, 2019, 07:14:03 PM »
How Climate Change And Flash Flooding Is Affecting Communities Across The Country
https://www.npr.org/2019/10/08/768373866/how-climate-change-and-flash-flooding-is-affecting-communities-across-the-countr
Climate change is driving deadly flash flooding across America. In one Maryland town, back-to-back flooding has forced residents to make huge decisions about how their community will adapt.
Can you swim in a raging flash flood? And even if you can, is your home waterproof?

Climate change will make California wildfires even worse
https://www.futurity.org/wildfires-climate-change-california-2179612/
The severity of wildfires in the Sierra Nevada region of California has been sensitive to changes in climate over the past 1,400 years, according to new research.
Forget water, are you and your home fireproof?

What Happens When Your Town Dries Up?
https://www.theatlantic.com/video/index/599635/dry-town-central-valley/
“In bigger cities, we are often insulated from the direct impacts of climate change and how it affects our immediate environments,” Vaughan-Lee said. “We see hotter days, erratic weather, and, most recently, fires—but we aren’t as close to the front lines as many of these smaller towns and communities.”
Fortunately, the California drought has relented in recent months. But many believe this to be a short-lived respite. “The aquifer in the Central Valley is being depleted at a rate much higher than can be replenished by rains, so it’s only a matter of time before farming becomes unviable,” Vaughan-Lee said. “When this happens, many towns in the Central Valley may not survive.”
You may not drown in a drought, but you may starve in droughts grow enough to endanger food production.

Want to know what climate change feels like? Ask an Alaskan.
https://grist.org/article/want-to-know-what-climate-change-feels-like-ask-an-alaskan/
Adrienne Titus was heading back to her parents’ village on a sweltering afternoon in early July when she saw the dead salmon. She had been fishing upstream with her mother on the banks of the gorgeous Unalakleet River, which Chinook, pink, coho, and chum salmon travel up every year in order to spawn. Down closer to the village of Unalakleet, though, there were no signs of life on the water that day — just hundreds of soft bodies floating belly up.
Titus, a 39-year-old Iñupiat woman who lives in Fairbanks but grew up in Unalakleet, had never seen anything like it before. Neither had her mother, or any of the village elders that they asked in this small fishing community on the shores of the Norton Sound in the central Bering Sea.
“It was scary,” Titus said. “It put fear into us.”
Similar reports of dead pink salmon came in all across the Norton Sound that week as temperatures soared into the high 80s and low 90s during a statewide heatwave that “re-wrote the record books,” according to the National Oceanic Atmospheric Administration. Fisheries biologists say that’s no coincidence: Warm water stresses the animals out, and temperatures above a certain threshold can kill them. In a statement issued on July 11, the Norton Sound Economic Development Corporation warned that the salmon die-offs appeared to be part of a “larger ecosystem-level shift” taking place due to rising temperatures.
Even if you don't eat fish, there are other things you eat that will be killed off. And even if not, people switching from fish will raise your food prices.

Climate Change Already Altering Ozark Forests Composition, Researcher Says
https://www.kuaf.com/post/climate-change-already-altering-ozark-forests-composition-researcher-says#stream/0
University of Missouri-Columbia research associate professor ermeritus of forest health and mycology, Johann Bruhn, says climate change is already affecting Ozark forests. Bruhn travels with Citizen Climate Lobby Missouri co-coordinator, George Laur, educating the public. The USDA Forest Service has launched an online Climate Change Resource Center to provide guidance.
I love forests. I would hate to see them pass away.

Sea-level rise threatens 13 million Americans. Can FEMA help?
https://grist.org/article/sea-level-rise-threatens-13-million-americans-can-fema-help/
But in many respects Yang’s realism is spot on. If the world keeps burning fossil fuels as usual, between four and 13 million Americans will see their homes inundated by sea-level rise this century. In the future, managed retreat will become unavoidable.
This is one to four percent of all Americans. And America is probably the best situated country to handle Sea Level Rise.

Climate change is already harming Great Lakes region, Debbie Stabenow warns
https://www.mlive.com/public-interest/2019/10/climate-change-is-already-harming-great-lakes-region-debbie-stabenow-warns.html
A "climate crisis" is affecting Michigan’s economy, agriculture, public health and the Great Lakes, according to a new report.
This hits me where I live.
Literally.

One Thing You Can Do: Talk to Your Children About Climate Change
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/09/climate/children-anxiety-climate-newsletter-nyt.html
Climate change and related natural disasters can take a toll on mental health, according to a 2017 report by the American Psychological Association. That can include depression and anxiety. Children may be one of the hardest-hit groups.
I grew up during the Cold War. I remember having nuclear nightmares.

What will we lose? Tracking climate change in Yellowstone
https://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/news/environment/what-will-we-lose-tracking-climate-change-in-yellowstone/article_2cd9181a-4a05-527c-aaf3-3fbad9596cee.html
The Yellowstone scientist best known for his work on wolves is now leading a study of jays, warblers and sparrows, among other bird species. His researchers wake up obscenely early, leave the office by 3:30 a.m., and are in the woods listening for bird calls before the sun comes up.
The goal is to figure out what migratory and resident birds are living in old growth, subalpine forests consisting of spruce and fir trees — a forest type climate change could erase.
I went to Yellowstone National park twice. It is my favorite spot in the world. But even this is not safe.

How The Ala Wai Flood Project Illustrates The Challenge Of Adapting To Climate Change
https://www.hawaiipublicradio.org/post/how-ala-wai-flood-project-illustrates-challenge-adapting-climate-change#stream/0
But climate change-fueled storms are now at risk of overwhelming that system.
As the atmosphere warms, it is able to hold more water vapor. That means when storms form, they can deposit a higher volume of water in the form of rain. We saw this at work during the 2018 “rain bomb” floods in Hanalei and Aina Haina.
At just under 50 inches of rain, the Hanalei event set the current record for highest 24-hour rainfall total in the United States. It caused an estimated $125 million in damage.
Such an event would cause over $1 billion worth of destruction in the Ala Wai watershed — home to the state’s economic engine, Waikiki. That damage estimate comes from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, the federal agency charged with managing the nation’s waterways.
A billion here, a billion there, pretty soon you are talking real money.

How climate change primed California’s power shutdown
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/2019/10/climate-change-california-power-outage/
Frequent fires are part of California’s natural state. Many of its ecosystems, from the chaparral of Southern California to the northern pine forests, evolved to burn frequently. But since the 1980s, the size and ferocity of the fires that sweep across the state have trended upward: Fifteen of the 20 largest fires in California history have occurred since 2000. And since the 1970s, the amount of area burned in the state has increased by a factor of five.
Climate change’s fingerprint is evident in many of the fires, scientists say, primarily because hotter air means drier plants, which burn more readily
Over the past century, California has warmed by about 3 degrees Fahrenheit, more than the global average of about one degree Fahrenheit. Hotter air draws water out of plants and soils more efficiently than cool, leaving the trees, shrubs, and rolling grasslands of the state dry and primed to burn.

These State Birds May Be Forced Out of Their States as the World Warms
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/10/climate/state-birds-climate-change.html
New research shows that hundreds of North American birds are at risk of major habitat disruption from climate change.
I wonder if our state bird (Ohio Cardinal IIRC) is one of these?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 07:19:52 PM by Tom_Mazanec »

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #165 on: October 13, 2019, 07:27:20 PM »
Hikers: Beware of Falling Trees
https://www.outsideonline.com/2402646/falling-trees-deaths-hiking-danger
In California and Colorado, there are forests with more dead trees still standing, known as snags. An unprecedented 129 million trees in California have died from drought and bark beetles since 2010. All of those dead trees, in addition to the deadwood that has accumulated over a century of fire suppression, can lead to the kind of massive, out-of-control wildfires that have plagued California in recent years. These fires, of course, kill even more trees, and burn areas are particularly at risk for falling timber. In Colorado, there were 834 million snags as of 2017, or one in 14 trees—30 percent more than in 2010. Plus both the Pacific Crest and Colorado Trails go through extensive burn areas. The issue of dead timber is likely to worsen, due to the ongoing climate crisis.
“As the climate gets dryer and hotter, these problems are going to become even greater, at least until we change the way our forests are managed,” says Trimble.
Another consequence I did not think of.

Four Ways Alaska’s Unending Warming Impacts Everyone
https://therevelator.org/alaska-warming-impacts-everyone/
Melting Sea Ice Accelerates Warming…and May Disrupt Global Weather Patterns
Increasing Wildfires Torch the “Legacy Carbon” of Northern Forests
Alaska’s Melting Glaciers Raise Global Sea Levels
Thawing Permafrost and the Carbon Bomb
What happens in Alaska does not stay in Alaska.

FEMA Bought 44,000 Flood-Prone Homes. They May Have to Buy Millions More
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-10-09/fema-may-have-to-buy-millions-of-homes-due-to-climate-crisis
This 30 year-trickle is nothing compared with the great climate exodus to come. The potential number of homes that may be abandoned is staggering, said A.R. Siders, a co-author and assistant professor at University of Delaware’s Disaster Research Center. “There are 49 million housing units in at-risk areas on the U.S. coast, and over $1 trillion worth of infrastructure within 700 feet of the coast,” she said. The government isn't prepared to relocate even one-tenth of that, if it needed to, Siders said.
Maybe we can just put them in the deserts droughts will make?

Billions face food, water shortages over next 30 years as nature fails
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/2019/10/billions-face-water-food-insecurity/#close
A new model shows which areas of Earth will likely be hit the hardest by the changes caused by human activity, also revealing possible solutions.
That means basically everybody and their pets.

‘They should be allowed to cry’: Ecological disaster taking toll on scientists’ mental health
https://www.independent.co.uk/environment/ecological-disaster-mental-health-awareness-day-scientists-climate-change-grief-a9150266.html
Leading researchers have published a letter saying many scientists experience “strong grief responses” to the ecological crisis and there are profound risks of ignoring this emotional trauma
When scientists start sobbing and weeping, you know it's time to panic.

Loons likely to disappear from Minnesota due to climate change, new report warns
http://www.startribune.com/loons-likely-to-disappear-from-minnesota-due-to-climate-change-new-report-warns/562874132/
The black and white bird — whose haunting cries define Minnesota as much as lakes, snow and hot dish — is among 55 species likely to disappear from the state for the summer by 2080 if the world does nothing to cut greenhouse-gas emissions, according to a new report by the National Audubon Society, Survival by Degrees: 389 Bird Species on the Brink
How long until the humans vanish from Minnesota?

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #166 on: October 15, 2019, 08:28:09 PM »
Firms ignoring climate crisis will go bankrupt, says Mark Carney
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/oct/13/firms-ignoring-climate-crisis-bankrupt-mark-carney-bank-england-governor
Companies and industries that are not moving towards zero-carbon emissions will be punished by investors and go bankrupt, the governor of the Bank of England has warned.
Mark Carney also told the Guardian it was possible that the global transition needed to tackle the climate crisis could result in an abrupt financial collapse. He said the longer action to reverse emissions was delayed, the more the risk of collapse would grow.
Do you own stock in a vulnerable company? Are you employed by a vulnerable company

This Is What Adapting to Climate Change Looks Like
https://www.citylab.com/environment/2019/10/what-adapting-climate-change-looks-like/599872/?utm_source=feed&silverid=%25%25RECIPIENT_ID%25%25
California has always promised Americans a glimpse of the future. But this week, the Golden State is forecasting a future that nobody wants to live in.
Millions of people across California lost their power this week, after the local utility Pacific Gas and Electric intentionally shut off electrical lines to avoid starting wildfires in dangerously dry and windy conditions.
Try living without power for a few days. Preferably in a heat wave.

Forty Percent of Pennsylvania Bird Species Are Vulnerable to Climate Change
https://www.alleghenyfront.org/forty-percent-of-pennsylvania-bird-species-vulnerable-to-climate-change/
“Forty percent of Pennsylvania’s 227 bird species are vulnerable to climate change,” said Greg Goldman, executive director of Audubon PA.  “Extreme spring heat is the greatest concern.”
The sound of the Great Horned Owl – so common in the woods of Pennsylvania today – could be less common if carbon emissions aren’t brought under control, said Goldman.
Another common sight in the region’s wetlands is the American black duck – not actually black but brown with a splash of purple on its wing.
“It’s a really iconic water bird, it’s here summer and winter,” said Beth Brown, director of Audubon PA’s Delaware River Watershed Program. “It’s kind of out there doing its job providing services in the ecosystem and it’s sort of your typical American duck.”
Brown says the American black duck is one of hundreds of birds nationwide that could lose habitat from a changing climate. Some are moving north, but that may not be an option for all of them.
Silent spring could happen even without DDT, just CO2.

Higher temperatures driving 'alarming' levels of hunger – report
https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2019/oct/15/higher-temperatures-driving-alarming-levels-hunger-report-climate-crisis
Extreme weather events are putting food production and security in jeopardy and the risk is expected to increase. Food production is likely to fall due to higher temperatures, water scarcity, greater CO2 and extreme weather events. Yields of maize and wheat are already declining.
and
Global Hunger Index says progress isn't happening fast enough
https://www.fastcompany.com/90417159/the-people-who-are-going-to-be-starved-by-climate-change-didnt-cause-it
A new report finds that the fight to end global hunger is being put at risk by the changing climate’s effect on agriculture.
And that blizzard in the United States we just had has ruined our season's late harvest.

Indigenous farming practices failing as climate change disrupts seasons
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/2019/10/climate-change-killing-thousands-of-years-indigenous-wisdom/
Climate change is upending millions of people’s lives, yet few communities are seeing their crops and worldviews crumble quite like those that rely on indigenous weather forecasting. Dependent in many cases on millennia-old trial and error, as well as analyses of the landscape to gauge planting cycles, their fields are withering as the conditions on which the calendars are predicated change. Without that accumulated wisdom to fall back on—bird migrations, wind direction, stars, and more—farmers are feeling particularly defenseless just as other consequences of climate change complicate their lives.
We will all see our eternal verities go by the wayside as climate changes.

Japan’s Seaweed Industry Is in Jeopardy
https://www.ozy.com/acumen/japans-seaweed-industry-is-in-jeopardy/219660/
That’s pushing up prices and threatening a cherished staple of the Japanese diet. The disruption offers an early hint of how environmental change will affect food production, forcing long-standing industries to adapt.
The problems are twofold: warming seas and not enough pollution. Climate change has led to a significant rise in water temperatures around Japan in recent decades. “We don’t know the causes for sure, but I think the biggest factor here is global warming,” says Koizumi.
Sushi is coming to an end in Japan. What else will soon come to an end?

'I'm standing here in the middle of climate change': How USDA is failing farmers
https://www.politico.com/news/2019/10/15/im-standing-here-in-the-middle-of-climate-change-how-usda-fails-farmers-043615
But the Agriculture Department is doing little to help farmers adapt to what experts predict is the new norm: increasingly extreme weather across much of the U.S. The department, which has a hand in just about every aspect of the industry, from doling out loans to subsidizing crop insurance, spends just 0.3 percent of its $144 billion budget helping farmers adapt to climate change, whether it’s identifying the unique risks each region faces or helping producers rethink their practices so they’re better able to withstand extreme rain and periods of drought.
And this year is already the worst for extreme farming weather in the USA in decades, if not ever.

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #167 on: October 17, 2019, 08:14:40 PM »
Climate change could push Ebola into untouched regions, report warns
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/climate-change-could-push-ebola-untouched-regions-report-warns/
A
“perfect storm” of climate change, population growth and poverty could push Ebola into previously untouched regions, experts have warned.
In a study published in Nature Communications journal, researchers used a statistical model to predict how increases in temperature and socio-economic development will affect the spread of Ebola over the next five decades.
They found that in a worst-case scenario, the area at risk of disease outbreaks could increase by 14.7 per cent, stretching beyond the current endemic zone of central Africa. 
The study also found that human factors such as population growth, rising poverty levels and poor health infrastructure could cause a 50 per cent rise in the number of outbreaks.
Remember how scared we were of Ebola a few years ago? My cousin stocked up on rice to get us through the collapse of Civilization.

Greenland's melting ice may affect everyone's future
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/2019/10/greenland-ice-oceans-melting-fast/
But exactly how much ice it will deposit, and how fast, is still an open question. Greenland is currently the biggest contributor to global sea level rise. By 2100, will its ice sheet’s melt add inches to the world’s oceans—or will it add much more?
That’s a trillion-dollar question. Nearly 70 percent of Earth’s population lives within 100 miles of a coast, and vast amounts of infrastructure—from airports to ports to cities to roads to Internet cables—sits in zones that could flood within decades. Small, low-lying island nations, city planners, insurance adjustors, homeowners—everyone is clamoring for the most accurate estimates of how much extra water they’ll need to prepare for.
Hail Atlantis! Way down, under the ocean; that's where you're gonna be

Can Insurance Companies Weather The Storm? What Climate Change Means For The Industry
https://www.wbur.org/hereandnow/2019/10/15/climate-change-insurance-coverage
Last year, insurance payouts caused by climate-related events totaled $2.4 trillion worldwide.
And with forecasts that climate events — floods, fires, hurricanes and droughts — will become more severe, the risk becomes more difficult to assess, and insurance companies may find it more difficult to cover those losses.
The Economist finance correspondent Matthieu Favas (@MatthieuFavas) recently wrote about the issue in an article titled "Changing Weather Could Put Insurance Firms Out of Business." He joins host Robin Young to discuss.
Insurance companies fulfill a very real need. Where will we be when they all go broke?

Anchorage talk will dive into ocean acidification’s impact on Alaska marine life
https://www.adn.com/business-economy/2019/10/15/anchorage-talk-will-dive-into-ocean-acidifications-impact-on-alaska-marine-life/
Ocean acidification is caused when carbon dioxide gas from the atmosphere dissolves in the ocean, lowering the water’s pH level and making it more acidic. The imbalance prevents marine creatures from forming shells and skeletons, among other things.
So even if we orbit millions of giant mirrors to cool off the Earth, we will still have an Extinction Level Event from rising CO2.

Is climate change responsible for the conflicts we’re seeing around the world today?
https://ensia.com/features/climate-change-conflict-violence-extremism-draught-flood/
An international group of scholars recently concluded that severe climate change will lead to more conflict in the future. But disentangling higher temperatures, drought and sea-level rise from other factors is difficult. Even though a link between climate change and violence is supported by many independent studies, there is little hard scientific evidence to directly link the two, says Alex de Waal, executive director of World Peace Foundation at the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy at Tufts University, who studied drought and famine in Darfur in the 1980s.
AGW doesn't help conflict on the world stage, that is for sure. Any conflict could spark a World War and leave us with A Canticle For Leibowitz.

Initiative Aims to Create 3D Map of the World Before Climate Change Alters It
https://e360.yale.edu/digest/initiative-aims-to-create-3d-map-of-the-world-before-climate-change-alters-it
Scientists have launched a new initiative to create a highly detailed, 3D map of the planet. The project, known as the Earth Archive, aims to capture a record of cultural sites, ecosystems, and landscapes before they are transformed by the impacts of climate change, such as rising seas, melting ice, and wildfires.
“We are going to lose a significant amount of both cultural patrimony – so archaeological sites and landscapes – but also ecological patrimony – plants and animals, entire landscapes, geology, hydrology,” archaeologist Chris Fisher of Colorado State University, a co-founder of the new initiative, told The Guardian. “We really have a limited time to record those things before the Earth fundamentally changes.”
The nature of this thread makes it rather grim, but here is at least a small glimmer of light.

Future cool: Minnesota city ponders new boom as a climate migrant destination
http://news.trust.org/item/20191016103325-fija0/
DULUTH, Minnesota, Oct 16 (Thomson Reuters Foundation) - Before the advent of air conditioning, this northern U.S. city on the shore of Lake Superior promoted itself as a cool summer haven for the sweaty and allergy affected.
One day Duluth might offer another kind of relief: As a haven for future U.S. migrants fleeing runaway heatwaves and other extreme weather elsewhere in the country.
When I was a little tyke this city became famous as the home of the Duluth Mongoose Mr. Magoo, narrowly saved from execution by the Federal Government. Maybe when the heat forces me to move there I can see his stuffed body.

Brussels seeks new solid ground in melting Arctic
https://thebarentsobserver.com/en/arctic/2019/10/brussels-seeks-new-solid-ground-melting-arctic
Unprecedented and looming changes at alarming speed. The melting of the Arctic has devastating global implications and the EU is not ready to stand by watching.
Only three years after it adopted its Arctic Policy, the European Union now starts the work with a new Arctic strategy document.
The Arctic is opening up as a new frontier, with abundant resources, which is causing tension among the circumpolar nations.

Leader of Russia’s meteorological authority is brought down by extreme weather
https://thebarentsobserver.com/en/ecology/2019/10/leader-russias-meteorological-authority-brought-down-extreme-weather
No official reason has been given for the dismissal. But the Ministry of Emergency Situations reportedly had complained about insufficient warnings from Roshydromet ahead of this year’s major floods in the Far East. Ministry leader Yevgeny Zinichev had told President Putin that the consequences of the floods could have been avoided had meteorological information been given in due time, newspaper Vedomosti reports.
The federal government now says that Roshydromet is up for a major restructuring. According to the Ministry of Natural Resources, Roshydromet will experience a strengthening of material and technical capacities that ultimately will enhance the reliability of the monitoring and prognosis systems.
There is a scary consequence...a pink slip.

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 18, 2019, 01:49:08 PM »
I was wondering why there would be a temperature gradient in ebola but the answer is the host species:

Attempting to understand zoonotic epidemic risk, however, using a human-only transmission model and without incorporating host ecology would inevitably lead to areas with high human density and connectivity being identified as the regions with the highest risk, despite some areas of these lacking competent hosts. Therefore, to model both the spatial variation in spill-over risk and, concurrently, the likely progression of subsequent outbreaks in human populations, we need to take a system-dynamics modelling approach1,33. Key non-linear feedbacks can also be captured, for example, the trade-off between increasing human populations and any potential loss of reservoir host species through anthropogenic land-use conversion.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-019-12499-6
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

ColinOH

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #169 on: October 18, 2019, 05:54:04 PM »

<snip>
Climate change is already harming Great Lakes region, Debbie Stabenow warns
https://www.mlive.com/public-interest/2019/10/climate-change-is-already-harming-great-lakes-region-debbie-stabenow-warns.html
A "climate crisis" is affecting Michigan’s economy, agriculture, public health and the Great Lakes, according to a new report.
This hits me where I live.
Literally.
<snip>

I really appreciate all your comments and links and, as you note, "this hits me where I live," too. I'm in eastern Lorain County. We seem to have similar perspectives and perhaps we could "chat." Reach me via golfwalker at hotmail dot com at your discretion.

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #170 on: October 20, 2019, 07:48:43 PM »
Extreme snowfall led to reproductive collapse in some Arctic wildlife in 2018
https://news.mongabay.com/2019/10/extreme-snowfall-led-to-reproductive-collapse-in-some-arctic-wildlife-in-2018/
In 2018, while the Arctic continued to see warmer summers and retreating snow cover in general because of rising global temperatures, there was also very heavy snowfall that kept several areas covered in “unusually large amounts of snow” even in late summer, when much of it should have melted.
In northeast Greenland, one of the regions affected by the excessive snowfall, most animals and plants, including Arctic foxes and migratory shorebirds, failed to reproduce, researchers found.
While one non-breeding year may not spell doom for Arctic wildlife, frequent extreme weather events like the one in 2018 could make it harder for Arctic species to bounce back and survive, the researchers warn.
This is millions of years of evolutionary wisdom being imperiled.

Glass art is a gas guzzler. Can Seattle stoke the flames of environmental change?
https://crosscut.com/2019/10/glass-art-gas-guzzler-can-seattle-stoke-flames-environmental-change
“We have always been harmful to the environment in that in early years we used wood-fired furnaces, so we were responsible for the deforestation of large areas to make glass,” says Clark of the Glass Art Society. Later, the industry shifted to burning coal, and then natural gas.
I did some stained glass artwork at the Senior Center. Hate for the hobby to disappear to fight AGW.

Amazon Watch: What Happens When the Forest Disappears?
https://e360.yale.edu/features/amazon-watch-what-happens-when-the-forest-disappears
Deforestation is dramatically raising local temperatures. The air over the farm is on average 5 degrees Celsius hotter than in the forested reserve over the fence: 34 degrees C, rather than 29 degrees C. The difference rises to a staggering 10 degrees at the end of the dry season, says Coe.
And the dry season is lengthening. Across the Xingu Basin and through the southern Amazon region known as the “arc of deforestation,” it lasts almost four weeks longer than half a century ago.
Why these huge changes? The answers lie not in global climate change but in the impact of deforestation, says Coe. In the old days, the trees of the rainforest acted as water pumps, recycling most of the rainwater, which they pumped from underground and released into the atmosphere from the pores in their leaves, a process known as transpiration.
But this is being exacerbated by AGW, and it is a feedback.

The Stark Inequality of Climate Change
https://www.newyorker.com/books/under-review/the-stark-inequality-of-climate-change
When Florence made landfall, it didn’t rage, as predicted, at the coast—instead it moved inland and stalled, dumping what the journalist Gilbert Gaul calls a “rain bomb” over the state. It killed more than fifty people, drowned thousands of hogs and millions of chickens, and left whole communities swamped in agricultural contaminants. Purdy writes that the damage “fell unequally on North Carolinians. It always does.” The contamination disproportionately affected rural, poor people of color, showing the unnaturalness of “natural disasters.” Similar contamination followed Hurricane Floyd, in 1999, Purdy points out. And despite these damages, and the increasing power of hurricanes as the sea warms and rises, the state legislature passed a statute in 2012 prohibiting planners in North Carolina from taking rising sea levels into account until the law expired in 2016, not wanting to burden developers along the coast.
Will we realize that our survival and "their" survival are inextricably linked?

The world’s ecosystems are being fundamentally transformed in the human era
https://www.washingtonpost.com/science/2019/10/17/worlds-ecosystems-are-being-fundamentally-transfigured-human-era/
In the midst of a global environmental crisis, when an estimated 1 million species are said to be at risk of extinction, the study offers an important look at biodiversity on the level of individual ecosystems, the authors said. It suggests that for now, at least, human activities have resulted not so much in outright losses as in large-scale reorganization.
But the function of ecosystems — their capacity to filter water and clean air, to sustain the plants and animals we rely on and admire — depends on the activities and health of their inhabitants. And those qualities are at risk.
“It’s a little bit like we’re playing musical chairs at the moment,” said macroecologist Maria Azeredo de Dornelas, a co-author on the report. “You have a lot of things moving around, and chances are that some things are going to end up without a chair.”
Maybe there is still time to end the game of musical chairs?

nanning

• Nilas ice
  • 0Kg CO₂, 37 KWh/wk,125L H₂O/wk, No offspring
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 273
  • Likes Given: 23170
« Reply #171 on: October 21, 2019, 07:51:25 AM »
  World economy is sleepwalking into a new financial crisis, warns Mervyn King

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/oct/20/world-sleepwalking-to-another-financial-crisis-says-mervyn-king
 by Larry Elliott
Past crashes spawned new thinking and reform but nothing has changed since 2008 banking meltdown, says former Bank of England boss

Quotes:
Lord King, who was in charge at Threadneedle Street during the near-death of the global banking system and deep economic slump a decade ago, said the resistance to new thinking meant a repeat of the chaos of the 2008-09 period was looming.

He added that the US would suffer a “financial armageddon” if its central bank – the Federal Reserve – lacked the necessary firepower to combat another episode similar to the sub-prime mortgage sell-off.

The former Bank governor said the economic and political climate had rarely been so fraught, citing the US-China trade war, riots in Hong Kong, problems in key emerging countries such as Argentina and Turkey, the growing tensions between France and Germany over the future direction of the euro, and the increasingly bitter political conflict in the US at a time when the willingness of the US to act as the world’s policeman was disappearing.

King said the world economy was stuck in a low growth trap and that the recovery from the slump of 2008-09 was weaker than that after the Great Depression.

Standard models were unhelpful in two important areas of economic policy – getting the world economy out of its low growth trap, and preparing for the next financial crisis.

(personal:
>  I read "low growth trap" !
>  I say growth is the real trap. We have to un-grow, to go smaller, less.
)

He said: “Congress would be confronted with a choice between financial armageddon and a suspension of some of the rules that were introduced after the last crisis to limit the ability of the Fed to lend.”

&

Global trade disruption is a symptom of a deeper malaise

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/aug/12/global-trade-disruption-a-symptom-of-deeper-malaise-us-china
 by Mohamed El-Erian

As growth prospects deteriorated, debt and leverage issues would come to the fore in certain countries, adding financial instability to an already damaging economic cocktail. And with the US-China row now extending beyond economics to include national security and domestic political issues, the best-case scenario on trade is a series of ceasefires; the more likely outcome is escalating tensions.

Monetary policy has not been very effective in boosting sustainable growth but it has lifted asset prices significantly. This has further fuelled complaints that the system favours the already rich and privileged rather than serving the broader population – let alone helping more disadvantaged groups.

In particular, the protracted use of unconventional monetary policies has entailed costs and risks that have intensified over time. These include attacks on the operational autonomy of central banks, the excessive decoupling of asset prices from their underlying economic and corporate fundamentals, and systemic overpromising of liquidity to end users (particularly in the non-bank sector). Today, a policy mistake or a market accident could make the journey much faster and a lot bumpier.

With concerted global action of this type, the world economy could navigate the upcoming T-junction favourably. Without it, current complaints about economic and financial instability and insecurity could pale in comparison to what comes next.
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly" - Bertrand Russell
"It is preoccupation with what other people from your groups think of you, that prevents you from living freely and nobly" - Nanning
Why do you keep accumulating stuff?

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 21, 2019, 12:19:26 PM »
  IMF haunted by fears that history might be about to repeat itself

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/oct/16/imf-haunted-by-fears-that-history-might-be-about-to-repeat-itself
 by Larry Elliot

With corporations loading up on debt, any recession would have dire consequences

Quotes:

in 2008, the result was the most profound economic shock since the 1930s. Supervision and regulation of banks was tightened, but only when it was too late.

In light of that experience, the latest IMF Global Financial Stability Report makes for scary reading. Corporations see no end to the era of low interest rates and have loaded up on debt. In the event of a recession only half as severe as that of 2008-09, the IMF estimates that in the major countries studied, the debt of companies where the interest payments could not be met from earnings would reach $19tn (£15tn) – almost 40% of the total.

But in the past 12 months, central banks have started easing policy once more, and that has set off alarm bells at the IMF. It is telling governments it would be a good idea to improve supervision and crack down on over-leveraged companies now, rather than do it in five years’ time after yet another crisis.

&

Global economy faces $19tn corporate debt timebomb, warns IMF

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/oct/16/global-economy-faces-19tn-corporate-debt-timebomb-warns-imf
 by Larry Elliot

Update on markets lists eight leading countries, including US, China and UK, as vulnerable

Quotes:

Officials at the Washington-based organisation fear that the buildup of debt makes the global financial system highly vulnerable and are telling member states not to repeat the mistake of the early 2000s, when warning signs of a possible market meltdown were ignored.

Adrian and Natalucci said the cheap money policy adopted by central banks was helping to boost financial markets in the short-term but, by encouraging investors to take more chances in the quest for higher yields, risked instability and lower growth in the medium-term.

“Very low rates have prompted institutional investors like insurance companies, pension funds and asset managers to reach for yield and take on riskier and less liquid securities to generate targeted returns,” Adrian and Natalucci said.

“For example, pension funds have increased their exposure to alternative asset classes like private equity and real estate. What are the possible consequences? Similarities in portfolios of investment funds could amplify a market sell-off, and illiquid investments by pension funds could constrain their traditional stabilising role in markets.

&

https://www.imf.org/en/Publications/GFSR/Issues/2019/10/01/global-financial-stability-report-october-2019
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly" - Bertrand Russell
"It is preoccupation with what other people from your groups think of you, that prevents you from living freely and nobly" - Nanning

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1012
  • Likes Given: 1034
« Reply #173 on: October 21, 2019, 12:26:59 PM »
so those with all the money have taken another $19 trillion out of the pockets of our children .. krazy b.c.
Conflict is the root of all evil , for being blind it does not see whom it attacks . Yet it always attacks the Son Of God , and the Son of God is you .

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 21, 2019, 02:15:22 PM »
Some of us have been going on about the looming second debt crisis for yonks.

But it is not a consequence of AGW. It is just another expression of society's inability to consider and deal with the long-term consequences of our actions, as is AGW.

Now the crash seems a lot closer. But the pyramid / ponzi dance of of fools will last a bit longer. We could see the 2008-9 financial crash coming by 2004-5, but things always hang on longer than reason would suggest. The structural problems in the global financial and economic systems exposed in the 2008-09 crisis have not really been fixed. When this crash happens "The Masters of the Universe" will find there is not a lot of ammo left in the box to fix it.

So 2020 (or 2021) could see a drop in CO2 emissions.
Hoorah? No.
Because the capital required to invest in renewable energy, energy efficiency and repair to at least some of the other environmental damage we have caused, will not be there. The switch from coal and gas may be stopped in its tracks.

And I am not just talking about the West. China and India have just as deep and fundamental structural imbalances in their financial and economic systems as the OECD countries.

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 21, 2019, 06:11:28 PM »
<snip>
But it is not a consequence of AGW. It is just another expression of society's inability to consider and deal with the long-term consequences of our actions, as is AGW.

Beautiful. I completely agree.
To add: Tradition,dogma=not thinking.

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #176 on: October 22, 2019, 08:15:28 PM »
Invasive lionfish have huge appetites. Hotter oceans will make them hungrier, new study finds
https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/environment/article236419363.html
As the ocean gets warmer, lionfish get hungrier, a new study indicates. With climate change happening now, that’s bad news for the Atlantic marine ecosystems the invasive lionfish has ravaged for decades.
I wonder if mongooses get hungrier in hotter weather...

Artist uses ‘historic’ markers to raise climate awareness
https://www.apnews.com/273bc827d08a4f98b6f546733cc3485c
Rather than commemorating important people or places in history, many of these dinner plate-size signs detail events like rising sea levels and an explosion of ticks that have yet to happen — part of an effort to draw attention to the potential effects of climate change.
The signs are based on possibilities laid out in the scientific research that the towns have used to develop their climate plans and written from the perspective of someone in the 22nd century looking back.
Take a walk around his area and see what is in store for you.

How to Mourn a Glacier
https://www.newyorker.com/news/dispatch/how-to-mourn-a-glacier
Although nearly every mountain, stream, and valley in Iceland has a name and a history, Ok isn’t particularly famous. No path brings tourists to its summit, and those who travel the one-lane gravel road through the valley floor typically take no note of Okjökull—meaning “Ok’s glacier”—which spanned sixteen square kilometres at its largest, at the end of the nineteenth century. By 1978, it had shrunk to three square kilometres. In 2014, Iceland’s leading glaciologist, Oddur Sigurðsson, hiked to Ok’s summit to discover only a small patch of slushy gray ice in the shadow of the volcano’s crater. Okjökull could no longer be classified as a glacier, Sigurðsson announced to the scientific community. It had become “dead ice.”
The first fatality of many.

Diseases are spreading with climate change. Panic doesn’t have to.
https://www.hcn.org/articles/public-health-diseases-are-spreading-with-climate-change-panic-doesnt-have-to
Now, new research suggests that Valley fever will continue to spread as the climate changes. This growth is a reflection of a greater trend across the nation as mosquito-borne West Nile virus and tick-borne Lyme disease also expand their range.
Information and preparation are stressed, but that can only go so far.

New study pinpoints the places most at risk on a warming planet
https://grist.org/article/new-study-pinpoints-the-places-most-at-risk-on-a-warming-planet/
As many as five billion people will face hunger and a lack of clean water by 2050 as the warming climate disrupts pollination, freshwater, and coastal habitats, according to new research published last week in Science. People living in South Asia and Africa will bear the worst of it.
But everyone and everywhere will suffer to some extent.

Are Clues to the Coming Winter Blowing in the Autumn Wind?
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/18/us/winter-weather-climate.html?rref=collection/sectioncollection/climate&action=click&contentCollection=climate&region=stream&module=stream_unit&version=latest&contentPlacement=5&pgtype=sectionfront
In fact, it is possible to see global warming even in the seasonal forecast. The climate center has issued temperature forecasts for every three-month period between now and a year from now, and all of the maps show only red or white, with no blue shading anywhere in the continental United States. That means all the forecasts are for conditions that are warmer, or at least no cooler, than the average for the last 30 years.
The confidence levels for the temperature forecasts are much higher than those for precipitation — as high as 80 percent in the Southwest for the coming three months. And the fact is, a forecast of higher average temperatures would be a pretty good bet even if it were for one, two, five or 10 years from now. The planet is warmer now than in any previous decade on record, it will continue to get even warmer, and the forecasting models and the scientists who use them know why.
Back in the 80s I saw this even then. The Plain Dealer had the temperature variation for the month in the weather report. I t was almost always above average.

The return of the 'blob': Hawaii's reefs threatened by marine heat wave
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/10/21/climate/hawaii-coral-bleaching.html
“The event in ’14-15 was maybe eight to 10 times the size of Alaska. And the current event we’re having is nearly that big,” Dr. Leising said. “And then, everything else is sort of an even further distant third or fourth.”
Researchers say they think that climate change strongly influenced the original blob’s creation.
The blob also led to the first known mass bleaching event in Hawaii, in which coral reefs stressed by the extreme temperatures shed the symbiotic plant that both gives them their flamboyant coloration and provides them with oxygen.
Blobs will grow, deepen and multiply over the course of this century.

dnem

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 319
  • Likes Given: 278
« Reply #177 on: October 23, 2019, 05:49:49 PM »
Article in today's NYT:
Climate Change Will Cost Us Even More Than We Think
Economists greatly underestimate the price tag on harsher weather and higher seas. Why is that?

For some time now it has been clear that the effects of climate change are appearing faster than scientists anticipated. Now it turns out that there is another form of underestimation as bad or worse than the scientific one: the underestimating by economists of the costs.

The result of this failure by economists is that world leaders understand neither the magnitude of the risks to lives and livelihoods, nor the urgency of action. How and why this has occurred is explained in a recent report by scientists and economists at the London School of Economics and Political Science, the Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research and the Earth Institute at Columbia University.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/23/opinion/climate-change-costs.html?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage

Recently I saw an article that was supposed to be alarming that stated that climate change could reduce US GDP "by 10% by 2100" if urgent action is not taken.  How insane! The us economy is $20 T/yr.  Who honestly thinks that can peg the size it will be in 2100 within 10%, climate change or no?! A 10% reduction is the difference between a 2% growth rate and a 1.87% rate. Economists!!

Klondike Kat

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 40
  • Likes Given: 56
« Reply #178 on: October 23, 2019, 06:00:20 PM »
Recently I saw an article that was supposed to be alarming that stated that climate change could reduce US GDP "by 10% by 2100" if urgent action is not taken.  How insane! The us economy is $20 T/yr.  Who honestly thinks that can peg the size it will be in 2100 within 10%, climate change or no?! A 10% reduction is the difference between a 2% growth rate and a 1.87% rate. Economists!!

These types of prediction are pure folly.  To be within 10% by 2100, would require an amazing accuracy by the soothsayer.

dnem

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 23, 2019, 06:03:21 PM »
My point exactly!

blumenkraft

« Reply #180 on: October 23, 2019, 06:13:48 PM »

I would take these numbers with a mountain of salt. There is too much assuming here. Not only in the numbers but also in the 'theories'. Economy is not a science. It's only bullshitter bullshitting. So don't ask the economists, ask the socialists.

From a socialist perspective, when the government prints money to finance renewables on a large scale, when there is legislation put in place for CO2 reduction (i.e. a carbon tax), and you then redistribute the taxes to the poor so that they can invest in climate-friendly measures (i.e. insulating houses) you create a huge economic expansion. The money comes back in taxes. Trickle-down has proven to be a hoax. Trickle back (i.e. people invest in goods, this creates jobs, more taxable money in the system in general) works.

Of course, you have to have all parts of the infrastructure in public hands, so that earnings also trickle back.

The problem with climate change is, that it will possibly kill all humans, not that humans have to have societies until it happens.

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 826
« Reply #181 on: October 23, 2019, 08:23:43 PM »
Recently I saw an article that was supposed to be alarming that stated that climate change could reduce US GDP "by 10% by 2100" if urgent action is not taken.  How insane! ... Economists!!
I agree that conclusion is fantasy.   I suspect (order of magnitude sort of reasoning) climate change is affecting about 10% of the current economy (mostly not killing it, just affecting it).  With each decade, this 'influence' will double, so in 20 years 40% of the economy will be influenced by climate change.  In 40 years functionally all of the economy will be affected by it.

Maybe my current "10%" is only "5%" and it's a 15 year doubling, not 10, but by 2100, our entire economy will be influenced by climate change.  There will be losers and might be a few winners.  And there might not be a 'national economy' then.
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 23, 2019, 09:57:11 PM »
IPCC Reprt on Oceans & the Cryosphere.

Plenty of worst consequences of AGW.

Summary from SkepticalScience - https://skepticalscience.com/overview-ipcc-oceans-ice.html
&
Link to IPCC reports - https://www.ipcc.ch/srocc/download-report/

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #183 on: October 24, 2019, 08:35:48 PM »
Climate change has turned permafrost into a carbon emitter
https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/permafrost-climate-change-1.5330144
Research has found Arctic soil has warmed to the point where it releases more carbon in winter than northern plants can absorb during the summer.
The finding means the extensive belt of tundra around the globe — a vast reserve of carbon that dwarfs what's held in the atmosphere — is becoming a source of greenhouse gas emissions responsible for climate change.
"There's a net loss," said Dalhousie University's Jocelyn Egan, one of 75 co-authors of a paper published in Nature Climate Change.
"In a given year, more carbon is being lost than what is being taken in. It is happening already."
Well, there goes one sink of CO2.

Alaska: Climate change threatens indigenous traditions
https://www.dw.com/en/alaska-climate-change-threatens-indigenous-traditions/a-50722471
Hunter said in past years, the salmon would come up first through the Kuskokwim River in June and the berries would be ready for picking in August. But now the berries are ripening earlier, overlapping with the fishing season. That means people have to fish and harvest fruit at the same time in order to store enough food for the winter.
"It's a little difficult to do both at once," Hunter told DW. "[You have to] worry about your fish and then [have to] think of your berries."
Evry tradition will ultimately be threatened by climate change.

‘We really need to wake up quickly’: Al Gore warns of a looming food crisis caused by climate change
https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/food/this-is-really-dangerous-al-gore-warns-of-a-looming-food-crisis-caused-by-climate-change/2019/10/21/bd3eec7e-f1cf-11e9-89eb-ec56cd414732_story.html
“This is in Georgia; a heat wave cooked these apples before they could be harvested,” he said, issuing forth rapid-fire examples alongside bone-chilling images and video. “This is the Australia wine region that’s going to be untenable. . . . Rice yields in 80 percent of Japan have declined due to the rising temperatures. . . . In nearby Murfreesboro, Tenn., we’ll see a quarter decline in soybean yields within the next 30 years.”
A little here, a little there, and soon everybody is very hungry.

The warming climate is making baby sea turtles almost all girls
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/africa/the-warming-climate-is-turning-baby-sea-turtles-one-gender/2019/10/21/d571f3fe-e3a6-11e9-b0a6-3d03721b85ef_story.html
She emerged from the ocean just before midnight, clambering up the shore as her ancestors have for 200 million years.
Only stars glowed on this remote beach, where the sea turtle arrived to lay her eggs. She dodged plastic, fishing nets and oil spills to get this far. But another threat to her species lurks in the ground: sand temperatures that foster only one gender.
“One hundred percent girls,” whispered the biologist, crawling next to the pregnant reptile. “This nest will be 100 percent girls.”
As the earth gets hotter, turtle hatchlings worldwide are expected to skew dangerously female, scientists predict, making the animals an unwitting gauge for the warming climate.
A lot of animals decide sex by temperature, not just sea turtles.

What’s driving up bacteria levels in Ketchikan’s drinking water? Climate change. And goats.
https://www.alaskapublic.org/2019/10/23/whats-driving-up-bacteria-levels-in-ketchikans-drinking-water-climate-change-and-goats/
Ketchikan’s source of drinking water might have too much bacteria, and that could mean expensive upgrades for the city’s water department. And mountain goats and climate change might be to blame.
Don't drink the water and don't breath the air.

Peacebuilding in Somalia - another victim of climate change?
http://news.trust.org/item/20191023152834-81kfn/
"What surprised me most was the impact that climate change has on pretty much every element of UNSOM's mandate," report co-author Florian Krampe told the Thomson Reuters Foundation.
"Climate change deeply burdens UNSOM in its work to provide peace and security, and also in its efforts to establish functioning governance and judicial systems."
He said people escaping weather crises were vulnerable to recruitment by militants, crowded camps became hot beds for traffickers and more fights erupted over resources. Militants also exploited climate crises to win legitimacy, he added.
As long as we have the equivalent of maybe a million Hiroshimas on hair-trigger conflict could become the worst consequence of AGW.

Gullah Geechee: distinct US culture risks losing island home to climate crisis
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/oct/23/gullah-geechee-distinct-us-culture-risks-losing-island-home-to-climate-crisis
“The biggest concern is the massive number of [storms] that are arriving on our coast annually,” said Queen Quet, also known as Marquetta L Goodwine, who is also a computer scientist and historian. In the English-based creole language used by the Gullah Geechee, she is known as the “head pun de boddee”.
“We are convinced that this is directly linked to climate change dynamics,” she said. “There have never been this many hurricanes and tropical storms in succession. This is causing a major strain on the community being able to recover financially from these.”
Sea level rise doesn't exactly help either.

Amazon rainforest 'close to irreversible tipping point'
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/oct/23/amazon-rainforest-close-to-irreversible-tipping-point
Soaring deforestation coupled with the destructive policies of Brazil’s far-right president, Jair Bolsonaro, could push the Amazon rainforest dangerously to an irreversible “tipping point” within two years, a prominent economist has said.
After this point the rainforest would stop producing enough rain to sustain itself and start slowly degrading into a drier savannah, releasing billions of tonnes of carbon into the atmosphere, which would exacerbate global heating and disrupt weather across South America.
The lungs of the planet are getting emphysema.

How more organic farming could worsen global warming
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/science/how-more-organic-farming-could-worsen-global-warming
Organic farming typically produces lower crop yields due to factors such as the lower potency fertilizers used in the soil, which are limited to natural sources such as beans and other legumes. Williams’ model found that a 100 percent organic farming system in England and Wales would mean much smaller crop yields. For wheat and barley, for example, their production would be halved relative to conventional farming.
“Having established that there would be a shortfall in massive production, the gap would be filled by increased imports, ” Williams said.
This outcome could lead to a 21 percent rise in greenhouse gas emissions from England and Wales because those imports would likely be raised overseas through conventional agriculture. Such a transition would render moot the potential reductions in greenhouse gas emissions that would otherwise be achieved by the switch.
DAG-NAB IT IS EVERYTHING BAD FOR THE CLIMATE?

North America's Best Ski Routes Are Disappearing
https://www.outsideonline.com/2404156/cody-townsend-the-fifty-climate-change
Take Mount Baker, Washington. Preparing to ski the Watson Traverse in May, Townsend and videographer Bjarne Salen had looked at a friend’s five-year-old photos and picked a seemingly mellow line. But when they arrived, they found that the glacier was broken up and riddled with crevasses. “Bjarne and I skied on a rope the whole way down, because there were giant crevasses and seracs peeling off,” he told me. “It was the scariest 25-degree slope I’ve ever skied in my life. I came away from that being like, At this pace, this line is going to be unskiable in ten years, tops.”
I know skiing is a luxury, but my cousin's husband is a ski instructor, so is likely to lose his job.

jai mitchell

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 207
  • Likes Given: 60
« Reply #184 on: October 25, 2019, 08:05:53 PM »
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1600-0889.2011.00527.x?deniedAccessCustomisedMessage=&userIsAuthenticated=false

By 2200, the PCF strength in terms of cumulative permafrost carbon flux to the atmosphere is 190 ± 64 Gt C. This estimate may be low because it does not account for amplified surface warming due to the PCF itself and excludes some discontinuous permafrost regions where SiBCASA did not simulate permafrost. We predict that the PCF will change the arctic from a carbon sink to a source after the mid‐2020s and is strong enough to cancel 42–88% of the total global land sink. The thaw and decay of permafrost carbon is irreversible and accounting for the PCF will require larger reductions in fossil fuel emissions to reach a target atmospheric CO2 concentration.
Haiku of Futures Passed
My "burning embers"
are not tri-color bar graphs
+3C today

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #185 on: October 26, 2019, 06:52:14 PM »
Emaciated grizzly bears in Canada spark greater concerns over depleted salmon population
https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/03/americas/emaciated-grizzly-bears-knights-inlet-canada-trnd-scn/index.html
In August, a report released by the Fisheries and Oceans Canada noted that Canada's climate is warming twice as fast as the global average, drastically impacting the salmon's ecosystems. The report also cited marine heatwaves, increased floods and droughts as causing greater stress on the fish.
Even if a bear (or a human) doesn't die of the heat, if your food does, you're sunk.

Climate change could cause U.S. military collapse, new report warns
https://www.mic.com/p/climate-change-could-cause-us-military-collapse-new-report-warns-19266239
The report, titled Implications of Climate Change for the U.S. Army, focuses primarily on doomsday scenarios, though they aren't presented as some far-flung dystopia. Rather, the report approaches the situations as realistic possibilities that we may face in the coming decades if the global temperature continues to increase and we aren't able to reverse course on our level of greenhouse gas emissions that contribute to climate change. Failing that, we'll be facing down a considerable number of unintended consequences that could overwhelm even the most well-funded and prepared military in the world. The combination of humanitarian aid and intervention in foreign regions combined with domestic issues may stretch the military to its breaking point, the report warns.
Maybe this will interest the pro-military GOP?

Global warming is changing wine
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/2019-10-24/global-warming-is-changing-wine-video
Global warming is leading to sweeter and less acidic wines - but is also helping cooler places produce better wines.
I suppose this is one good thing, since I prefer sweet to sour in my Communion wine.

Stopping Global Warming Will Cost $50 Trillion: Morgan Stanley Report
https://www.forbes.com/sites/sergeiklebnikov/2019/10/24/stopping-global-warming-will-cost-50-trillion-morgan-stanley-report/#4293ed251e23
While estimates vary on the cost of halting global warming and reducing net carbon emissions to zero, a new report from Morgan Stanley analysts finds that to do so by 2050 the world will need to spend $50 trillion in five key areas of zero-carbon technology.
OK, this isn't even a ---- here and a ---- there...we are talking real money right now.

Cities Are Behind in Gauging Their Climate Risk
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/cities-are-behind-in-gauging-their-climate-risk/
More than 500 cities around the globe are already feeling the effects of climate change, according to a report released this week.
“Cities at Risk” by the environmental nonprofit CDP found that 85% of cities surveyed last year are reporting climate hazards—including flooding in London, extreme winters in New York City, and forest fires and extreme heat in Quito, Ecuador.
And 15% just don't admit it.

Sea urchin population soars 10,000% in five years, devastating US coastline
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/oct/24/sea-urchins-california-oregon-population
Scientists are not yet sure if the climate crisis is responsible for the sea urchin explosion, but they suspect it plays a role in the cascade of events that allowed the purple urchins to boom. And kelp, already under siege from warming waters, is not as resilient as it once was, said Norah Eddy, an associate director at the Nature Conservancy California’s oceans program.
“We’re going to see climate change as a big driver of changes in kelp forest as we move forward, and we are already seeing that,” said Eddy, who is leading an effort to use drones to map and monitor northern California’s last remaining kelp forests.
This means no more kelp. The sea otter (my second favorite animal...guess what is my first) may like the increased food, but without kelp they are literally out to sea.

Kincade Fire: The Age of Flames Is Consuming California 
https://www.wired.com/story/kincade-fire/
Welcome to what fire historian Steve Pyne calls the Pyrocene, a unique time in history when human use of fire, particularly the burning of fossil fuels, and the attendant climate change combine to create hell on Earth. “We are creating a fire age that will be equivalent to the Ice Age,” he says. The reckoning is here, and California—a highly flammable state packed with people—is getting it worse than just about anybody in the world.
Gee, that Anthropocene was sure a short time.

Coral cover around popular Great Barrier Reef islands has almost halved
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/oct/25/coral-cover-around-popular-great-barrier-reef-islands-has-almost-halved
Scientists are concerned that major coral bleaching and heat stress events caused by ocean heating will hit the Great Barrier Reef at intervals too short to let corals recover.
The reef, the world’s biggest coral reef system, was hit by major bleaching events in 2016 and 2017, with impacts concentrated in the northern parts of the reef.
The study also questioned a previous conclusion that corals on inshore reefs were more tolerant of higher temperatures.
This is imperiling the largest structure ever built by living things.

Images reveal Iceland's glacier melt
https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-50160039
A photography project has highlighted the extent of ice loss from Iceland's glaciers.
A team from Scotland and Iceland compared photographs taken in the 1980s with present-day drone images.
They focused on the south side of the Vatnajökull ice cap, which covers about 7,700sq km of land.
Dr Kieran Baxter, from the University of Dundee, said: "We saw a staggering difference in a very short amount of time."
Will we someday have before and after pictures of Greenland and Antarctica?

Climate change is wiping out Harriet Tubman’s homeland, and we’re doing little
https://www.bostonglobe.com/ideas/2019/10/24/climate-change-claiming-harriet-tubman-homeland-among-other-key-sites/hCnqd8w61SdnWBVJvfYTkI/story.html?fbclid=IwAR3PGCxtFnUKlzzRye5QG4Bz9Xf4NxxsDO4vJ9xMaGWe-XiK1IPdJ8UcE9g
The Chesapeake Bay and the rivers that feed it are rising, along with most of the rest of the world’s bodies of water, encroaching on the now-marshy expanses where Tubman lived and worked alongside her father, Benjamin Ross, a gifted woodsman. The land is subsiding, too, as farmers withdraw water to irrigate crops and communities reach ever deeper into the aquifers for clean drinking water. Graves, some unmarked, are collapsing, hidden in woods next to forlorn houses of worship. Ghost forests dot the landscape, once-lush loblolly pines reduced to mere skinny sticks; timbering thinned the forests, and saltwater intrusion is trying to finish the leveling.
The loss of these lands will make it much harder for future generations to understand Tubman’s story and how the community of freed and enslaved peoples networked and relied on each other to free themselves from bondage. That Maryland — and the rest of the nation — might be willing to lose these places speaks volumes about how governments and preservationists view the first lands that African-Americans were able to call their own.
Every coastal area on Earth is in this crisis, of course.

Why Rising Acidification Poses a Special Peril for Warming Arctic Waters
https://e360.yale.edu/features/why-rising-acidification-poses-a-special-peril-for-warming-arctic-waters
“Warm, fresh, and sour,” says Stedmon of the changes sweeping Arctic seas, which, along with the Southern Ocean surrounding Antarctica, are acidifying faster than any other marine waters on the planet. He and the rest of the crew of researchers from across Europe are trying to decipher how a warming Arctic is, as Stedmon puts it, “melting ice, freshening seawater, and reducing its ability to resist acidification.”
A triple threat. The Arctic Ocean is doomed.

dnem

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 27, 2019, 01:27:36 PM »
Stopping Global Warming Will Cost $50 Trillion: Morgan Stanley Report
https://www.forbes.com/sites/sergeiklebnikov/2019/10/24/stopping-global-warming-will-cost-50-trillion-morgan-stanley-report/#4293ed251e23
While estimates vary on the cost of halting global warming and reducing net carbon emissions to zero, a new report from Morgan Stanley analysts finds that to do so by 2050 the world will need to spend $50 trillion in five key areas of zero-carbon technology.
OK, this isn't even a ---- here and a ---- there...we are talking real money right now.

Real money right now? The global economy is US $84 T/yr. So this nonsense is suggesting we can "stop global warming" by spending $50 T over 30 years, or about 2% of global GDP over the period.  And the article even tosses in a few stock picks so you can make extra money along the way!  Yah, that's it, as long as the global industrial machine devotes a couple of percent of its investment to big "renewable energy" projects, everything will be fine, carry on folks, nothing to see here. Oh, and buy these stocks.

Shared Humanity

« Reply #187 on: October 28, 2019, 06:17:17 PM »
Climate change is wiping out Harriet Tubman’s homeland, and we’re doing little
https://www.bostonglobe.com/ideas/2019/10/24/climate-change-claiming-harriet-tubman-homeland-among-other-key-sites/hCnqd8w61SdnWBVJvfYTkI/story.html?fbclid=IwAR3PGCxtFnUKlzzRye5QG4Bz9Xf4NxxsDO4vJ9xMaGWe-XiK1IPdJ8UcE9g
The Chesapeake Bay and the rivers that feed it are rising, along with most of the rest of the world’s bodies of water, encroaching on the now-marshy expanses where Tubman lived and worked alongside her father, Benjamin Ross, a gifted woodsman. The land is subsiding, too, as farmers withdraw water to irrigate crops and communities reach ever deeper into the aquifers for clean drinking water. Graves, some unmarked, are collapsing, hidden in woods next to forlorn houses of worship. Ghost forests dot the landscape, once-lush loblolly pines reduced to mere skinny sticks; timbering thinned the forests, and saltwater intrusion is trying to finish the leveling.
The loss of these lands will make it much harder for future generations to understand Tubman’s story and how the community of freed and enslaved peoples networked and relied on each other to free themselves from bondage. That Maryland — and the rest of the nation — might be willing to lose these places speaks volumes about how governments and preservationists view the first lands that African-Americans were able to call their own.
Every coastal area on Earth is in this crisis, of course.

The Chesapeake Bay coastline including the tidewater sections of the rivers is 11,684 miles long. All of it is low elevation tidewaters. The entire U.S. Gulf coastline is 1,631 miles.

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #188 on: October 31, 2019, 06:44:37 PM »
Climate Change Is Benefiting Terrorists In Somalia
https://www.forbes.com/sites/christinero/2019/10/27/climate-change-is-benefiting-terrorists-in-somalia/#335f01e51016
The more punishing climate is damaging means of earning a living, as most Somalis rely on agriculture, forestry, or fishing for their food and their income. For instance, long-used grazing routes don’t offer much food for livestock anymore. So nomadic herders (94% of whom live in poverty) need to find new pasture or new livelihoods. This brings them into conflict with non-nomadic communities, over land as well as water. Meanwhile, the amount of cultivable land is diminishing due to land degradation and other environmental processes, leading to rising tensions between different clans attempting to hold onto land.
So what good is killing the head of ISIS?

A disastrous disconnect
https://publicintegrity.org/environment/one-disaster-away/a-dangerous-disconnect-disaster-prone-states/
Flash floods have troubled Kentucky for decades. Now, extreme rainstorms are worsening with climate change, increasing the odds of more disasters like the one Bentley’s community endured. For Kentucky’s poorest residents, the people living in flood-prone hollows with surface mines nearby, that means an ever-present threat to both life and hard-won possessions.
But the state isn’t on the front lines of the fight against global warming. Its leaders, concerned about the impact on coal, have positioned themselves on the other side of that battle.
That’s created a dangerous and expensive disconnect — and not just in Kentucky, a Center for Public Integrity analysis shows.
So increasing climate stress does not necessarily lead to climate action

South Africa rations water to save dwindling supplies
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-safrica-drought/south-africa-rations-water-to-save-dwindling-supplies-idUSKBN1X71H0
“Indications are that are our rainfall patterns are getting harder to predict. What we’re seeing, like other parts of the globe, is the dry season is getting longer, harsher and more intense. Climate change is a reality and is affecting South Africa.”
Wait till you have to choose between flushing the toilet or taking a bath.

Climate change increases flooding risk to homes, study shows
https://www.ft.com/content/a170fca6-f767-11e9-a79c-bc9acae3b654
The number of households in Britain at risk of flooding will more than double by 2050 to more than 1.9m owing to the effects of climate change, research from data provider MSCI has found.
Had a flood in my condo when the patio drain plugged.
It's cost was in four figures.

Farmer to sue German government over failure to tackle climate change
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/farmer-court-germany-government-climate-change-crop-failure-a9174451.html
"We’ve lost over a third of our millet crop, half our hay crop,” Mr Schwienhorst said. “It’s a catastrophe.”
Well, one consequence could be clogging the courts...

California’s fire season is longer and deadlier than ever, causing annual treks south by Oregon firefighters
https://www.oregonlive.com/environment/2019/10/californias-fire-season-is-longer-and-deadlier-than-ever-causing-annual-treks-south-by-oregon-firefighters.html
The fires have become progressively worse in recent years - and experts believe they're a harbinger of an even bigger problem.
As Beaver said to Franklin Turtle "In a fire you lose everything.

How Climate Change Could Shift California’s Santa Ana Winds, Fueling Fires
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/28/climate/santa-ana-winds.html
Recent research suggests that as the climate warms, Santa Ana winds may become less frequent. Coupled with precipitation changes, that could mean more intense fires later in the year.
Sigh. Another feedback...

The California fires show how unprepared we are for climate change
https://www.theverge.com/2019/10/29/20936979/california-kincade-fire-wild-climate-change-disaster-preparedness
Fires are a fact of life in California, but the state’s fire season has grown wilder and more destructive as the planet warms, and these fires give us a taste of what climate change will mean in human terms. Longer droughts and more unpredictable winds turn what would once have been manageable fires into region-wide catastrophes. We’re only one year removed from the largest fire in California history, and few think that record will hold much longer. The slow-moving nature of the climate crisis means that, under even the best scenarios, these fires will keep growing for the next 40 years. The longer we keep going this way, the more powerful they’ll get.
and
Shifting Winds and the Changing Shape of California Fires
https://www.wired.com/story/santa-ana-winds-might-dwindle-but-fire-danger-remains/
Even if fewer Santa Anas mean fewer wildfires, it won’t mean no wildfires. Remember that climate change is disrupting the whole system. “We were like, well, this is good news in terms of wildfires,” Guzman-Morales says. “But then, wildfires are not caused solely by Santa Ana winds. It’s a conjunction of weather conditions, and we can’t forget precipitation.” October brings fires in part because rain-free summers dry out hillside vegetation, and other researchers have found that climate change is pushing the rainy season back in SoCal. Right now, the Santa Anas continue all through the winter, but they don’t start as many fires because the rains come, too. In the future, all that vegetation will stay drier for longer, which means more chances for ignition. By 2025, fire season might just be Christmas.
Burn, baby, burn.

Chateau Viking: Climate Change Makes Northern Wine a Reality
https://www.wsj.com/articles/chateau-viking-climate-change-makes-northern-wine-a-reality-11572366566
Vintners in Scandinavia are growing bold with their marketing, winning awards and prompting predictable sniffs from the French. ‘I don’t think they are at all our level yet.’
Well, at least I can still get my Communion Wine from somewhere.

Far more people are threatened by rising seas than scientists realized, a study shows: 'The magnitude of the numbers speaks for itself'
https://www.businessinsider.com/sea-levl-rise-flooding-risk-higher-estimates-2019-10
The number of people threatened by sea-level rise and high-tide flooding around the world could be triple previous estimates, according to a new study.
The research found that 110 million people currently live below the high-tide line, and 250 million live on land below current annual flood levels — that's far higher than previous estimates.
If greenhouse-gas emissions continue unabated, up to 630 million people globally could occupy land below projected annual flood levels by 2100.
Warming ocean water and unprecedented ice-sheet melt could cause sea levels to rise by more than 3 feet by the end of the century.
People tend to build big cities where ocean ships can arrive/depart.
And these tend to be at sea level.

Climate change could leave southern Britain ‘unable’ to support crops
https://www.independent.co.uk/environment/farming-climate-change-crisis-latest-uk-crops-a9175961.html
If emissions continue at current rates, Britain will be 5C warmer by the end of the century, and would experience up to 140mm less rainfall during the growing season between April and September, according to the paper published in the journal Environmental Research Letters.
5C by 2100 is over a degree F a decade. And those Brits will have to get their food somewhere, so everyone will have too pay more.

Minnesota birds affected by climate change: Itasca County loons remain stable
https://www.grandrapidsmn.com/free_press/minnesota-birds-affected-by-climate-change-itasca-county-loons-remain/article_352bf012-f764-11e9-b6ee-2bab6a2e2e9c.html
In the report, “Survival by Degrees: 389 Bird Species on the Brink,” published by the National Audubon Society, Minnesota’s state bird was listed as one of 55 species that are likely to disappear from the state by 2080 if greenhouse-gas emissions are not cut. Gaea Crozier, Nongame Wildlife Specialist with the Division of Ecological and Water Resources at the Grand Rapids Department of Natural Resources, shared what they have observed in the common loon population of Itasca County.
Birds survived Chixculub. Will this be what brings a Silent Spring?

World unprepared for impact of climate change on mountain water supplies: experts
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-climate-change-mountain-summit-previe/world-unprepared-for-impact-of-climate-change-on-mountain-water-supplies-experts-idUSKBN1X8193
“We are woefully underprepared. Our infrastructure was built in the 19th and 20th centuries in the mountains and downstream of the mountains and we don’t have that climate any more,” said John Pomeroy, a professor at Canada’s University of Saskatchewan, who is co-chairing the event.
Either too much or not enough. AGW is messing up water everywhere.

Deadly Algae Are Creeping Northward
https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2019/10/plague-toxic-algae-making-shellfish-deadly/600406/
Globally, HABs are exploding. In recent years, toxic blooms have started to occur in places where they’ve never happened before, and during more months of the year. The expansion of HABs is linked to rising sea temperatures, but pollution, the dumping of ballast water from ships, and the transplantation of shellfish stocks may also play a role.
The Mandarin Seafood Buffet closed down in Twinsburg, so my eating of ocean food is already defunct.

The False Comfort of Higher Seawalls
https://newrepublic.com/article/155519/false-comfort-higher-seawalls
As climate change races towards us, hurricanes are growing more destructive. Studies have suggested that today’s climate made Harvey more intense than it might have otherwise been. Such storms will become more frequent. Basic physics dictates that a warmer atmosphere holds more water, meaning that heavy downpours are becoming all the more common and intense as the world heats up. An ever-changing and transmogrifying enemy is hard to tackle: “It highlights the need to consider that our hazards are changing over time, and that we should be considering those changes in the design of our infrastructure,” Antonia Sebastian, a flood engineer at Rice University, said in a 2017 press release on her and other scientists’ Harvey-related research.
Maybe everybody should just get brooms and sweep back the sea?

Rising seas will erase more cities by 2050, new research shows
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/10/29/climate/coastal-cities-underwater.html
Scientists devised a better way to calculate land elevations and their findings are dire: Far more cities will be inundated by climate change than previously thought.
and
Shocking New Maps Show How Sea Level Rise Will Destroy Coastal Cities By 2050
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimdobson/2019/10/30/shocking-new-maps-show-how-sea-level-rise-will-destroy-coastal-cities-by-2050/#7bb3eedb456c
By 2050, sea-level rise will push average annual coastal floods higher than land now home to 300 million people, according to a study published in Nature Communications. High tides could permanently rise above land occupied by over 150 million people, including 30 million in China. Without advanced coastal defense and planning, populations in these areas may face permanent flooding within 30 years.
A baby conceived today will be only 30 years old then.

California shows the difficulties of hardening the nation to climate change
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/california-shows-the-difficulties-of-hardening-the-nation-to-climate-change/2019/10/29/3e1a902e-f9c7-11e9-8190-6be4deb56e01_story.html
There is a bigger lesson for California, as for every other state. Hardening the nation to the effects of climate change will not just require sea walls around large coastal cities. It will demand expensive infrastructure changes and shifts in routine all over the economy — as with power lines surrounded by vegetation that is increasingly dry and combustible. Some of these changes will be unexpected, unwelcome and difficult to predict. Government and corporate leaders must nevertheless try. The first goal, about which the Trump administration remains inexcusably negligent, is to restrain the warming as much as possible. The second is to prepare for the warming that is already on its way.
AGW changes everything.

How climate change creates a ‘new abnormal’ for the real estate market
https://www.curbed.com/2019/10/29/20930330/real-estate-climate-change-federal-reserve-flooding
According to a 2018 report by the Union of Concerned Scientists, “Underwater: Rising Seas, Chronic Floods, and the Implications for U.S. Coastal Real Estate,” an estimated 300,000 residential and commercial properties will likely face chronic and disruptive flooding by 2045, threatening $135 billion in property damage and forcing 280,000 Americans to adapt or relocate. This long-term analysis of how increased flooding will depress coastal real estate noted, alarmingly, that most investors in and developers of coastal real estate do not factor these risks into current value projections. Worldwide, according to the International Monetary Fund, significant assets, including property, could be “stranded” due to climate change, a reference to being both physically inaccessible and financially drained of value.
And these are just a few examples.

Climate change a financial and investment risk - report
https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/business/402165/climate-change-a-financial-and-investment-risk-report
The forum's interim report set out the considerable financial risk to industry and government, where climate change was concerned, and included a legal opinion from Circle partner Chapman Tripp, which clarified the legal obligations directors and fund managers have to account for climate change in their decision-making.
Are you an investor, or do you know one?

11 ways climate change and air pollution can damage your health
https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/lifestyle/11-ways-climate-change-and-air-pollution-can-damage-your-health-960749.html
Premature birth and stillbirth
ADHD and low IQ
Asthma and childhood respiratory illnesses
Cardiovascular disease
Cancer
Obesity
Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
Dementia
Diabetes
Mental Health
Spread of Disease
Are those enough for you?

EDIT:

Climate crisis: business leaders say cost to taxpayers will spiral unless new policies introduced
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/oct/30/climate-crisis-business-leaders-say-cost-to-taxpayers-will-spiral-unless-new-policies-introduced
A joint letter by 10 business organisations, including the Australian Industry Group and the National Farmers’ Federation, says the government will either need to back new climate policies that drive private-sector action or boost taxpayer funding now and into the future.
What is true for Australia is true for your nation.

Another Rising Cost of Climate Change: PG&E's Blackouts, Now Needed to Prevent Wildfires
https://insideclimatenews.org/news/30102019/california-wildfires-cost-climate-change-blackouts-business-schools
Shutting down the power has become PG&E's primary defense to keep its troubled power lines from sparking wildfires in the dry landscape, as happened in 2017 and 2018 to deadly effect.
It also vividly illustrates how the costs of failing to address climate change reach far wider than just property lost to the flames. The blackouts, while likely saving homes and lives, mean many businesses and industries can't operate, schools can't open, and gas stations remain shuttered. For small businesses, several days without power or customers could be devastating. Just the blackouts alone could cost the state billions.
You just can't win for losing.

'Frightening.' Scientists contemplate the melting Arctic
https://www.eenews.net/stories/1061411229
Leaving the central Arctic is a special kind of bittersweet. For many travelers, there's a good chance they'll never visit again. And for those who do, the region could look dramatically different the next time they see it.
That's because Arctic temperatures are rising at least twice as fast as the rest of the globe. And as the region warms, the sea ice that covers the Arctic Ocean is steadily melting away.
Maybe we will have to change the title of this forum to The Arctic Sea Water Forum.

Climate change drives policy change in West Van
https://www.nsnews.com/news/climate-change-drives-policy-change-in-west-van-1.23991756
While most of the major tools to tackle GHGs are in provincial and federal hands, municipalities do influence where people live and how they get around through their official community plans. In West Vancouver’s case, the recommendation is densification of smaller, more efficient homes around walkable village centres with access to transit and active transportation options.
At least one consequence of AGW is positive.

Climate Change Is Already Affecting Western PA, How Can We Manage The Inevitable Effects?
https://www.wesa.fm/post/climate-change-already-affecting-western-pa-how-can-we-manage-inevitable-effects#stream/0
“For example, we’re getting more of our precipitation is happening in very heavy events that lead to flash flooding … and we can expect them to increase into the future,” said Penn State University's Ray Najjar. 
Heavy precipitation can cause significant infrastructure damage and exacerbate sewer overflows.
“If we choose, however, to reduce our emissions, we’ll probably still continue to see those effects, but to a much more manageable degree," he said.
That's a pretty big 'if'.

People with disabilities unsheltered in Tornado Alley
https://publicintegrity.org/environment/one-disaster-away/people-with-disabilities-unsheltered-in-tornado-alley/
Disasters are becoming more common in America. In the early and mid-20th century, fewer than 20 percent of U.S. counties experienced a disaster each year. Today, it’s about 50 percent. According to the 2018 National Climate Assessment, climate change is already driving more severe droughts, floods and wildfires in the U.S. And those disasters are expensive. The federal government spends billions of dollars annually helping communities rebuild and prevent future damage.
So why did Oklahoma close down its shelters?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 06:57:35 PM by Tom_Mazanec »

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #189 on: November 05, 2019, 07:29:12 PM »
Algae blooms to make glaciers melt faster than thought: scientists
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-climate-change-mountainsummit/algae-blooms-to-make-glaciers-melt-faster-than-thought-scientists-idUSKBN1XA1WQ
“Glacial darkening” is where deep purple, bulbous algae sprout on a layer of naturally occurring dust mixed with soot from air pollution and forest fires. Their presence has been confirmed for decades but as temperatures rise, more algae are thriving on the ice surface, staining glaciers the world over.
Feedback No. 721.

One Wildfire is Spewing Enough Smoke to Rival 320,000 Cars
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-10-31/one-wildfire-is-spewing-enough-smoke-to-rival-320-000-cars?srnd=climate-changed
“The increase in fires makes it incredibly difficult to meet our goals,” said Jim Randerson, professor of earth system science at University of California, Irvine.

In 2017, for instance, California cut its carbon dioxide output from from power generation, transportation and other sources by about 5 million metric tons, or about 1% from the previous year. Wildfires, meanwhile, spewed 36.7 million metric tons of carbon dioxide, according to the California Air Resources Board.
Feedback No.722.

The dead can't escape climate change
https://www.eenews.net/stories/1061420585
The dead rise in Louisiana. All it takes is some floodwater.
People in this low-lying state are typically buried in aboveground vaults — the bane of Charlie Hunter, chief investigator for the Calcasieu Parish Coroner's Office, who has to hunt down the caskets that get washed away during floods. It's become a serious part of his job over the past decade.
The caskets and their surface vaults are sealed airtight, so pressure builds inside them when a hurricane or flash flood covers them in water. Moisture weakens the vault seal, and eventually the water begins to bubble with dead air — the tell-tale sign a casket is ready to pop out of its grave, Hunter said.
You mean you can't get away from AGW even after you're dead!?

The Coming Flood: A Data Error Is Corrected, and Our Future Is Rewritten
https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/sea-level-rise-climate-central-study-906178/
According to the new analysis, roughly three times as many people are at risk from being inundated by rising seas than previously reported — 150 million people are now living on land that will be below high tide by 2050. And this is a hopeful scenario, where warming is held to 2 degrees C and the ice sheets don’t collapse in the near future. In a more pessimistic scenario, the numbers double to 300 million people flooded out by 2050. That is roughly equivalent to the entire population of the United States going underwater in the next three decades.
Even I'm stunned by that number.

Carbon emissions from loss of intact tropical forest a ‘ticking time bomb’
https://news.mongabay.com/2019/10/carbon-emissions-from-loss-of-intact-tropical-forest-a-ticking-time-bomb/
When undisturbed tropical forests are lost the long-term impact on carbon emissions is dramatically higher than earlier estimates suggest, according to a new study.
Between 2000 and 2013, about 7 percent of the world’s intact tropical forests were destroyed, leading not just to direct carbon emissions but also “hidden” emissions from logging, fragmentation and wildlife loss.
Another key difference between the old and new estimates is that the latter take into account the diminished carbon sequestration potential of these forests.
The authors write that the indigenous communities who live in and protect about 35 percent of these forests will have a bigger role to play in the fight against climate change.
Clock reads 11:59:58.

Facing a future of flooding, Hillsborough County officials ponder how to keep communities above water
https://www.tampabay.com/news/hillsborough/2019/10/30/facing-a-future-of-flooding-hillsborough-county-officials-ponder-how-to-keep-communities-above-water/
To county officials, the headlines are the stuff of nightmares.
The waters in Tampa Bay could rise above today’s sea level by as much as 8.5 feet by 2100, one report says.
That's almost three feet above my head.

Finding The Right Chunk Of Arctic Ice
https://www.npr.org/2019/11/01/775305573/finding-the-right-chunk-of-arctic-ice
A ship full of researchers is crossing the Arctic attached to an ice floe. But finding the right chunk of sea ice was a challenge, in part because warmer temperatures are making it thinner.
Even scientific research is being endangered.

In Napa Valley, Winemakers Fight Climate Change on All Fronts
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/31/dining/drinks/napa-valley-wine-climate-change.html
Wine producers are grappling with a maelstrom caused by a warming planet: heat waves, droughts, cold snaps, wildfires and more.
The drink of civilization for millennia going away?

This classroom on a Chesapeake Bay island taught generations of students. As the sea rises, its doors are closing.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/this-classroom-on-a-chesapeake-bay-island-taught-generations-of-students-as-the-sea-rises-its-doors-are-closing/2019/10/31/cccfd2be-fbea-11e9-8190-6be4deb56e01_story.html
In 1773, when the island was first discovered, its land stretched for about 426 acres, said Tom Horton, an author and former Baltimore Sun reporter who has written eight books about the Chesapeake Bay.

When the Chesapeake Bay Foundation conducted a satellite survey earlier this year, the group found there were about 34 acres left.
At that rate it will be gone in my lifetime.

Rising Seas Threaten Tens of Millions More People with Inundation, Study Says. Even That May Underestimate the Impact
https://www.circleofblue.org/2019/world/rising-seas-threaten-tens-of-millions-more-people-with-inundation-study-says-even-that-may-underestimate-the-impact/
The Climate Central study did not account for relative sea-level rise. It assumed that land elevations remained constant. In the dynamic world, that is not the case.
Some of the most dramatic land alterations are a result of local and regional water use. Locally, groundwater pumping can cause the land to compact, lowering its elevation. This subsidence is occurring in coastal megacities across Asia, including Bangkok, Dhaka, and Jakarta, where a sea wall protects land that is already below sea level.
So even this study underestimates the situation.

Wildfires pose new threats as homes burn, releasing toxic fumes
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/2019/10/airborne-health-concerns-emerge-from-california-wildfire/
The samples he collects will help scientists better understand how the massive increase in seasonal wildfires burning through residential areas might be affecting our health. Where smoke once contained the remnants of only biomass (trees and other organic matter), fires are now burning up homes—structures that contain thousands of synthetic chemicals, paints, plastics, and metals that smolder and combust into tiny particles.
So not only are fires getting bigger and more frequent, they are more poisonous.

The ice used to protect them.
Now their island is crumbling into the sea.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2019/world/climate-environment/canada-quebec-islands-climate-change/
The more than 12,000 residents of this windswept Canadian archipelago are facing a growing number of gut-wrenching choices, as extreme climate change transforms the land and water around them. Season after season, storm after storm, it is becoming clearer that the sea, which has always sustained these islands, is now their greatest threat.
I like islands. I'm gonna miss them "Way down, under the ocean..."

If Emissions Continue, India Could See 1 Million Heat Deaths a Year
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/if-emissions-continue-india-could-see-1-million-heat-deaths-a-year/?utm_medium=social&utm_content=organic&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=SciAm_&sf222767070=1
A new study predicts there’ll be more than 1 million deaths a year from extreme heat in India by the next century if greenhouse gas emissions continue at their current level.
Research by the Climate Impact Lab with the University of Chicago’s Tata Centre for Development projects India’s average annual temperature will rise 4 degrees by 2100.
This, I must admit, is getting close to the abortion toll in America.
This is worrying me.

Climate Change Is Burning Down California. It's Time We Stopped Adding Fuel to the Fire
https://www.newsweek.com/climate-change-california-fuel-fire-1468431
Once a fire ignites, the conditions fostered by climate change increase the size, frequency, and intensity of wildfires, and lengthen the fire season. A slew of studies have identified these climate change signals in recent western wildfire trends. Climate change has led to an average temperature increase of 2°F in the western U.S., and this is making fires worse by heating up and drying out the landscape. When the ground is parched and plants are dry, it's far easier for fire to spread further, and faster.
Do I have to say it? Eedbackfay.

California wildfires: Climate change driving ‘horror and the terror’ of devastating blazes, say scientists
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/california-wildfire-climate-change-evacuation-santa-ana-winds-devil-diablo-a9181886.html
“I said it was the new normal a few years ago,’’ says Jerry Brown. “This is serious, but this is only the beginning. This is only a taste of the horror and the terror that will occur in decades.”
Drier, warmer weather makes wildfires worse.

Melting in the arctic may trigger more abrupt climate change than predicted: Study
https://www.dailyexcelsior.com/melting-in-the-arctic-may-trigger-more-abrupt-climate-change-than-predicted-study-2/
The study, published in the journal Nature Climate Change, suggests that the severity of wildfires could double from one year to the next, and remain at the new higher rate for several regions in Canada including Yukon, as the permafrost across the territories degrade.
If it weren't for bad news we would hardly have any news at all.

UK and Amsterdam pictured 'underwater in 80 years' in chilling doomsday map
https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/uk-amsterdam-pictured-underwater-80-20801955
Amsterdam and parts of the UK have been pictured underwater in a terrifying flood map as rising sea levels threaten to wipe out huge chunks of the world, experts have claimed.
Coastal and in-land areas including Blackpool, Liverpool and Hull in the UK and almost all of the Netherlands could be wiped out as early as the year 2100, according to Climate Central.
Waterworld, here we come. Where's Kevin Costner when we need him?

‘I can’t believe how much of it is gone’: Chesapeake Bay Foundation says goodbye to Fox Island as seas rise
https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/environment/bs-md-fox-island-20191101-ch3lyq6bwbhp3djo3etl5acmhq-story.html
Those gradual changes can be hard to see in many places, but they appear in sharp relief on Fox Island, which has lost 70% of its area over the past half a century. The archipelago gets its name from a vivid resemblance it once bore to a fox in full stride, its tail wagging north and nose pointed south. That hasn’t been apparent from a bird’s-eye view for a long time.
Maybe they'll call it Fox Reef?

EDIT:

Why are birds and seals starving in a Bering Sea full of fish?
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/environment/why-are-birds-and-seals-starving-in-a-bering-sea-full-of-fish/
But as climate change warms the die-offs of seabirds and marine mammals have been on the rise. The grim tally includes a nearly fivefold increase in ice-seal carcasses spotted on shore, strandings of emaciated gray whales, and near the St. Lawrence Island village of Savoonga, a discouraging spectacle: auklets abandoning seaside nests as their chicks succumb to hunger.
You would think wildlife in the arctic would benefit from AGW, but nope.

Climate Change 101: A Kansas City Scientist Explains What's Going On
https://www.kcur.org/post/climate-change-101-kansas-city-scientist-explains-whats-going#stream/0
The changes in climate that people in the Kansas City region are now experiencing haven't been seen in previous lifetimes.
That's according to Doug Kluck, a regional climate services director for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA). He also spent 18 years with the National Weather Service as a researcher and forecaster.
KCUR recently sat down with Kluck in an effort to provide readers with some perspective on what's happening. Below is the edited version of that conversation.
It's not just the change, it is the speed.

Arctic islands 8 degrees warmer than normal
https://thebarentsobserver.com/en/2019/11/arctic-islands-8-degrees-warmer-norma
The Russian archipelagos of Franz Josef Land and Severnaya Zemlya experienced the warmest ever October on record. According to Russia’s meteorological service Roshydromet, average temperatures on the islands were up to eight degrees Celsius higher than normal.
Temperature maps from the meteorologists show a belt of warm air stretching across major parts of the Arctic. The biggest abnormalities are found in the area of the Franz Josef Land and Severnaya Zemlya, as well as further west in an area on the northeastern coast of Greenland.
And that's Celsius, not Fahrenheit.

Global Warming Is Already Destroying New England’s Fisheries
https://newrepublic.com/article/155586/global-warming-already-destroying-new-englands-fisheries
But deep down, we know better. And if the national discussion hasn’t moved to climate change in the Northeast yet, it soon will. The effects are already profound—they just happen to be underwater.
Fourth-generation fisherman Al Cottone holds no illusions of being spared climate impacts in 2019.  He captains one of the 15 fishing boats still active in the waters around Gloucester, Massachusetts. Not a decade ago, there were 50. To fish in the Gulf of Maine—the ocean inlet spanning from Cape Cod up to the southern tip of Nova Scotia—is to navigate one of the fastest-warming bodies of water on the planet. “It’s not something you see with your naked eye,” Cottone told me. “But fish are definitely reacting differently, and I’m attributing it to climate change. We’re seeing them in deeper water—they’re trying to get the right temperature at depth.”
Will this mean an end to my Lenten fish fries?

Sea level will rise for centuries. We can control how much and how fast.
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/2019/11/paris-agreement-period-still-leads-to-sea-level-rise/
But even if the U.S. stayed in the agreement, finds new research published in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences on Monday, there are long-tail, unavoidable consequences for the world’s coastlines. Even if all countries hit their Paris targets by 2030 and then stopped emitting carbon entirely, an unrealistic scenario but a useful thought experiment, the world’s oceans will still slosh higher. Under these idealistic conditions, by 2300—about eight generations away—sea levels around the world will be about 3 feet higher than today, the scientists say.
Of course, we will not even get close to meeting these goals.

Thirsty future ahead as climate change explodes plant growth
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/2019/10/plants-consume-more-water-climate-change-thirsty-future/
By the end of the century plants could consume substantially more water, leaving less for people across North America, Europe, and Central Asia—even if it rains and snows more, a new study reports today in the journal Nature Geoscience.
So we will have to choose between drinking and eating?

A Lake With Stingless Jellyfish and Hints of Hotter Seas
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/04/world/asia/indonesia-marine-lake-stingless-jellyfish.html
For divers, the millions of harmless jellyfish in an Indonesian lake are must-see novelties. For scientists, the warmer, more acidic and less oxygenated water is “a projection of our future climate.”
Maybe we can have jellyfish fries on Lenten Fridays?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 07:50:53 PM by Tom_Mazanec »

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: November 06, 2019, 08:31:23 PM »
I couldn't find the documentaries thread via 'search' so I'll post this here.

Another recording of a great and insightfull talk by Jeremy Jackson, emeritus professor of Scripps Institution of Oceanography.
From 40m40 on he says a very important thing.

Provost's Lecture 16 Oct 2018

edit: improved wording of second sentence
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 07:14:04 PM by nanning »

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #191 on: November 08, 2019, 09:25:20 PM »
Most countries aren't hitting 2030 climate goals, and everyone will pay the price
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/2019/11/nations-miss-paris-targets-climate-driven-weather-events-cost-billions/
Their report, “The Truth Behind the Paris Agreement Climate Pledges,” warns that by 2030, the failure to reduce emissions will cost the world a minimum of $2 billion per day in economic losses from weather events made worse by human-induced climate change. Moreover, weather events and patterns will hurt human health, livelihoods, food, and water, as well as biodiversity.
Will we miss the goals? Of course we will.

Wall Street increasingly weighs risk from climate change
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-results-climatechange-analysis/wall-street-increasingly-weighs-risk-from-climate-change-idUSKBN1XF2CS
Investors, analysts, research firms and companies are putting more emphasis on how climate issues ranging from rising sea levels to record heatwaves will affect profits and revenues in the United States and what companies are doing to address those risks.
Is your company prepared?

The Tragic Irony of “America First” Climate Denial
https://newrepublic.com/article/155604/tragic-irony-america-first-climate-denial
There are consequences for all of these actions, but those consequences are rarely felt by those pulling the strings. Biodiversity is decreasing at an alarming rate, raising the the threat of an “extinction crisis.” The oceans are rising, both in terms of sea level and temperature. And the natural wonders both on land and in the water are rapidly decaying. Native nations in the Midwest are being flooded and left by state forces to fend for themselves; fishers across the country—from the Northeast to all along the Mississippi River and out along the Gulf—are being put out of business due to polluted and warming waterways. Farming is becoming harder and harder—particularly for the dwindling population of small farmers. The poorest citizens in low-sitting cities like New Orleans and Miami have, maybe, another couple of decades before they’ll be forced to relocate. Meanwhile, the closest the wealthy have come to being truly harmed by the volatile effects of climate change is when a celebrity has been forced to live-tweet their departure from a hillside mansion in California to a nearby five-star hotel as forest fires inch closer.
And the band plays on...

Our Wine Critic Reviews Climate Change’s Impact on an Industry
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/06/reader-center/wine-industry-climate-change.html
Eric Asimov says we have to rethink every element of wine, from where we farm it to how we buy it.
And how we drink it?

Virus from tick that killed former Sen. Hagan has never been detected in N.C.
https://www.northcarolinahealthnews.org/2019/11/05/virus-from-tick-that-killed-former-sen-hagan-has-never-been-detected-in-n-c/
The study — “Ticking Bomb: The Impact of Climate Change on the Incidence of Lyme Disease” — examined the relationship between climate change and Lyme disease in the 15 states that contributed to more than 95 percent of reported cases.
“Complex interactions between humans and climate change are contributing to the emergence of new diseases and the spread of already known ones to regions where they were unable to exist before.” the study concludes. “Environmental factors such as temperature and humidity have been shown to influence tick abundance, availability of hosts, their survival, and disease transmission.”
The study predicts that the number of Lyme disease cases in the United States will increase by more than 20 percent in the coming decades.
I never even heard of the disease in the report.
But Carl Sagan never heard of the disease that killed him, either.

Despite a Warmer, Wetter World, There May Be Less Water Available for Human Use, Study Finds
https://e360.yale.edu/digest/despite-a-warmer-wetter-world-there-may-be-less-water-available-for-human-use-study-finds
Mankin and his colleagues’ findings suggest wetter land will be limited to tropics and extremely high latitudes where freshwater is already plentiful and competition for it is low. Plants in the mid-latitudes, on the other hand, are projected to need more water, making the land drier.
Let them drink wine (see above).

Earth sizzles through October as another month ranks as the warmest on record
https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2019/11/05/earth-sizzles-through-october-another-month-ranks-warmest-record/
During October, the Western United States and parts of Canada stood out for being cooler than average. However, temperatures were “markedly above average” over much of the Arctic, where sea ice extent hit a record low for the month. Europe was warmer than average, as was the Eastern United States and Canada, the Middle East and much of North Africa and Russia.
Look at the map in the article. Two-thirds of the United States are blue, while almost the world outside is red.

Climate change may affect your homeowner’s insurance policy in 2 ways
https://www.businessinsider.my/climate-change-may-affect-your-homeowners-insurance-policy-in-2-ways/
Dramatic weather events are on the rise all over the world thanks to climate change.
While homeowner’s insurance typically covers things like wildfire and tornado damage, earthquakes require additional coverage.
Homeowners in high-risk areas will want to re-evaluate their policies with the help of an insurance adviser, though all homeowners can expect their premiums to climb thanks to the rising cost of weather-related disasters.
Insurance, shminsurance. I'll just not have it.
Ooops…

Burkina Faso: Climate Change Triggers Rural Exodus
http://www.ipsnews.net/2019/11/burkina-faso-climate-change-triggers-rural-exodus/
The Sahel is experiencing an overall decrease in rainfall, but also a depletion of soils due to agricultural overexploitation and progressive deforestation of the original savannahs by cutting firewood, bush fires and stray animals, the NGO SOS Enfants explains.
“Climate changes are evident throughout Burkina Faso. The eastern and southwestern parts of the country, which generally have more favourable weather, are increasingly hit by high temperatures and pockets of drought,” the U.N. Development Programme says on Adaptation-undp.org.
From employing 90 percent of the country’s almost 7-million strong workforce in 2012, as per FAO figures, the agriculture sector now provides 80 percent of all jobs, still accounting for a third of the country’s GDP. However, more than 3.5 million people are food insecure, according to a USAID report.
Farmers in Burkina Faso, and especially those living in the Sahelian areas of this country, are now facing a serious problem of food security and growing impoverishment, SOS Enfants has pointed out. Conflicts over land use and massive migrations are persistent.
One of these days I'm gonna post Led Zepplins's "Immigrant Song" on Good Music.

Goat farmers at climate change frontline in Argentina's wine belt
https://www.batimes.com.ar/news/argentina/goat-farmers-at-climate-change-frontline-in-argentinas-wine-belt.phtml
Goat breeders scattered along the Andes foothills on the frontline of climate change, where conditions force them to take their herds higher up the mountains every year in order to graze. 
Zen koan: Climb to the top of the mountain. Then climb higher.

Wildfire smoke is a silent killer — and climate change is making it worse
https://grist.org/article/wildfire-smoke-is-a-silent-killer-and-climate-change-is-making-it-worse/
Researchers expect that particulate matter from wildfires will rise dramatically in the Western U.S. as the planet warms. One study estimates that between 2046 and 2051, wildfire-related PM2.5 levels will likely increase by 160 percent on average if temperatures continue to rise. Northern California, the Pacific Northwest, and forests in the northern Rocky Mountains will experience the worst of it, the researchers concluded.
Advice for living in the year 2051...don't breathe the air.

Study: Sea level rise likely to be determined by speed of carbon emission reductions
https://www.upi.com/Science_News/2019/11/06/Study-Sea-level-rise-likely-to-be-determined-by-speed-of-carbon-emission-reductions/4051573056299/
Climate change has already caused sea levels to rise, and new research suggests warming air and ocean temps are going to continue to melt glaciers and promote higher seas. But how quickly sea levels rise, researchers contend, depends on how fast the world's governments can shrink carbon emissions to zero.
According to a new study, even if countries meet all of their emissions reduction targets set by the 2015 Paris Agreement by 2030, those 15 years of CO2 emissions will bake another 8 inches of sea-level rise into the system.
How long can you tread water?

Climate Change May Be Making Deer Evolve to Give Birth Earlier in the Year, Scientists Discover
https://www.newsweek.com/red-deer-give-birth-year-climate-change-1470035
Researchers say their findings represent some of the first evidence that evolutionary changes are affecting the time of year that wild animals give birth.
I hope they can adapt. I loved reading Bambi when I was 11.

A deadly virus is spreading in marine mammals. Scientists say climate change is to blame.
https://www.nbcnews.com/science/environment/deadly-virus-spreading-marine-mammals-scientists-say-climate-change-blame-n1078331
Their conclusion: Melting Arctic sea ice brought on by the Earth’s warming climate created a way for the virus to move into a new region and infect a new population of sea life.
Humans aren't the only ones to suffer from AGW. Sea otters and seals suffer as well.

Climate Change Could Make Russia Great Again
https://www.haaretz.com/world-news/.premium.MAGAZINE-climate-change-could-make-russia-great-again-1.8094614
A decade ago, geologists estimated that 30 percent of the world’s natural gas reserves and 13 percent of its petroleum deposits were trapped beneath the ice floes of the Arctic Circle, along with rare minerals and other valuable resources. As the rising temperature melts the icebergs, not only will those resources become accessible but, as U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said in May, “Steady reductions in sea ice are opening new passageways and new opportunities for trade. This could potentially slash the time it takes to travel between Asia and the West by as much as 20 days. Arctic sea lanes could become the 21st century Suez and Panama Canals.”
And how will this affect the global balance of power?

UK railways cannot cope with climate crisis, says rail boss
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/nov/07/uk-railways-cannot-cope-with-effects-climate-change-warns-rail-boss
Britain’s railways can no longer cope with the effects of the climate crisis, a senior rail executive has warned.
Extreme weather events including heatwaves, storms and flooding have damaged infrastructure and halted thousands of services across the UK this year.
Alex Hynes, the managing director of Scotland’s railway, said more investment would be needed to future-proof the railway against rising temperatures.
“The railway in this country can no longer cope because of climate change,” he said.
Maybe people will have to replace rail with cars and planes?  ???

Ontario plans to do assessment on impact of climate change
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ont-climate-assessment-1.5351577
Ontario will conduct a multi-year study to assess the impacts of climate change, but critics say the work will take too long and likely won't be complete before the next election.
Environment Minister Jeff Yurek announced the assessment, which will look at how climate change will affect the province's economy, environment, infrastructure and communities, on Thursday.
Spoiler: It will hurt. Bad.

One of the world's thickest mountain glaciers is melting because of global warming
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/11/07/climate-change-taku-glacier-starting-melt-due-global-warming/2517677001/
Up until now, of the 250 glaciers he has studied, all had retreated except one: Taku Glacier. But an analysis shows Taku has lost mass and joined the rest of the retreating glaciers.
“This is a big deal for me because I had this one glacier I could hold on to,” Pelto told NASA's Earth Observatory. “But not anymore. This makes the score climate change: 250, and alpine glaciers: 0.”
So the last one standing has fallen  :(

A 'green interest rate?' Fed digs into climate change economics
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-fed-climate-change/a-green-interest-rate-fed-digs-into-climate-change-economics-idUSKBN1XH2G4
But as worries about the warming planet increase, the U.S. central bank is taking a closer look at the economic impacts of higher temperatures, more frequent severe weather, and rising sea levels.
About time. Maybe some economists are getting a clue?

This Popular Indian Festival Is Sinking Into the Sea
https://www.ozy.com/good-sht/the-annual-festival-slowly-disappearing-underwater/221651/
However, Sagar Island — and with it, the future of the festival — is under threat. Rising sea levels and coastal erosion are encroaching upon the land all across the Sundarbans, a delta of tiny islands nestled between east India and Bangladesh. The Kapil Muni Temple, where pilgrims offer prayers after a dip in the sea, has been moved several times to avoid being submerged.
One of my best friends is Indian. Perhaps I should ask her about this.

Note: Sorry about all the edits...the computer here is going wonky and I didn't want to lose all my work.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 10:14:48 PM by Tom_Mazanec »

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #192 on: November 12, 2019, 11:37:02 PM »
AFTER THE WATER
https://apps.npr.org/ellicott-city/
When a flash flood ripped through Old Ellicott City in Maryland, residents thought it was a freak occurrence. Instead, it was a hint about the future. And adapting to that future has been painful.
A warmer atmosphere means a more energetic and water vapor filled atmosphere, thus more flash floods.

Deputy PM slams people raising climate change in relation to NSW bushfireshttps://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/raving-inner-city-lunatics-michael-mccormack-dismisses-link-between-climate-change-and-bushfires-20191111-p539ap.html
Glen Innes council mayor Carol Sparks, the first Greens member to hold that position, said last week "there's no doubt" climate change was contributing to drought and the lack of rain and said Prime Minister Scott Morrison should act on this.
So America is not the only nation with climatologically clueless heads of state.

Panel delves into impact of ocean acidification
https://www.capecodtimes.com/news/20191110/panel-delves-into-impact-of-ocean-acidification
According to Rheuban, several billion tons of carbon dioxide are emitted each year, and a quarter of that ends up in the ocean. As carbon dioxide levels in the ocean rise, the pH level goes down, resulting in acidification.
So even though the ocean soaks up CO2, that's bad.

Ireland could experience 'Armageddon weather' in near future due to global warming, experts warn
https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/ireland-could-experience-armageddon-weather-20855375
Ireland could end up with the climate of Iceland if the Gulf Steam completely shuts down
Think they will become climate deniers when it gets colder?

'Wildfires have turned the heat up on Donald Trump's climate change strategy'
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/us-news/wildfires-turned-heat-up-donald-20855122
While wildfires in this part of the world are not uncommon, climate change is one of the factors making matters worse. The Santa Ana winds have been a phenomenon for thousands of years. But these regular winds are leading to a crisis when they intersect with
the drier landscape and man-made triggers like the state’s failing private power infrastructure.
Add to the fact California is about three degrees ­Fahrenheit hotter today than it would be without climate change, meaning everything is now occurring against a warmer backdrop.
The wildfires are obviously a Chinese hoax.

Fed sees climate change shaping economy, policy
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-fed-climate-change/fed-sees-climate-change-shaping-economy-policy-idUSKBN1XI218
“To fulfill our core responsibilities, it will be important for the Federal Reserve to study the implications of climate change for the economy and the financial system and to adapt our work accordingly,” Fed Governor Lael Brainard said in remarks released at the start of the Fed’s first-ever conference on climate change and economics.
The Fed, she said, will need to look at how to keep banks and the financial system resilient amid risks from extreme weather, higher temperatures, rising sea levels and other effects of the accumulation of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere.
And increasingly, she said, “it will be important for the Federal Reserve to take into account the effects of climate change and associated policies in setting monetary policy to achieve our objectives of maximum employment and price stability.”
The Fed is the most powerful entity in the American, and arguably the world, economy.

Vast bush fires rip across Australia, destroying 150 homes and killing 3
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia-pacific/vast-bush-fires-rip-across-australia-destroying-150-homes-and-killing-3/2019/11/10/8680e968-038f-11ea-9518-1e76abc088b6_story.html
An estimated 350 koalas died when fire swept through their breeding ground near the coastal city of Port Macquarie. Koalas typically breed once a year, and it will be difficult for the population to recover, according to Sue Ashton, president of the local koala hospital. “I don’t know how we are going to come back from this,” she told the television show “Today.”
These wildfires endanger animals as well as trees and humans.

At 2022 World Cup, the global game will meet global warming
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/soccer/at-2022-world-cup-the-global-game-will-meet-global-warming/2019/11/10/bfd348d2-0277-11ea-8501-2a7123a38c58_story.html
Qatar is hot, baby. And getting hotter.
Temperatures in its capital city, Doha, have risen five degrees since 1962. Earlier this decade, during what can only be described as a particularly unforgiving heat wave, they recorded an all-time high reading of 122.7 degrees.
The average high temperature in Qatar in June and July — when the World Cup is typically played — is 108 degrees; the average low is in the mid-80s.
If twenty players die of heatstroke, whenever they play it there, would that alert the world?

How the U.S. betrayed the Marshall Islands, kindling the next nuclear disaster
https://www.latimes.com/projects/marshall-islands-nuclear-testing-sea-level-rise/
Here in the Marshall Islands, Runit Dome holds more than 3.1 million cubic feet — or 35 Olympic-sized swimming pools — of U.S.-produced radioactive soil and debris, including lethal amounts of plutonium. Nowhere else has the United States saddled another country with so much of its nuclear waste, a product of its Cold War atomic testing program.
Between 1946 and 1958, the United States detonated 67 nuclear bombs on, in and above the Marshall Islands — vaporizing whole islands, carving craters into its shallow lagoons and exiling hundreds of people from their homes.
U.S. authorities later cleaned up contaminated soil on Enewetak Atoll, where the United States not only detonated the bulk of its weapons tests but, as The Times has learned, also conducted a dozen biological weapons tests and dumped 130 tons of soil from an irradiated Nevada testing site. It then deposited the atoll’s most lethal debris and soil into the dome.
Now the concrete coffin, which locals call “the Tomb,” is at risk of collapsing from rising seas and other effects of climate change. Tides are creeping up its sides, advancing higher every year as distant glaciers melt and ocean waters rise.
This is one consequence of sea level rise I did not think of.

As the ice disappears, climate change is coming for the emperor penguin
https://www.fastcompany.com/90428384/as-the-ice-disappears-climate-change-is-coming-for-the-emperor-penguin
Our newly published study found that if climate change continues at its current rate, emperor penguins could virtually disappear by the year 2100 due to loss of Antarctic sea ice. However, a more aggressive global climate policy can halt the penguins’ march to extinction.
Chilly Willy is in trouble.

Climate events have cost the US economy more than $500 billion over the last 5 years, Fed official says
https://markets.businessinsider.com/news/stocks/climate-change-impact-on-economy-has-cost-500-billion-fed-2019-11-1028675379
Climate- and weather-related events have directly cost the US more than $500 billion over the past five years, according to a Federal Reserve official.
In addition to causing damage to natural resource and infrastructure, global warming is expected to disrupt business operations and economic activity in the coming years.
In January, top economists from both sides of the aisle signed a letter that said climate change was "a serious problem calling for immediate national action."
That's over $1500.00 per citizen. What could you do with that kind of money?

The causes of unprecedented bushfires are complex but climate change is part of the puzzle
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-11-12/cause-of-bushfires-is-complex-but-climate-change-is-part-of-it/11692176
The deterioration of fire weather patterns, apparent around the globe, closely matches the prediction of climate change analysts.
There is good reason to understand our current situation as an intellectual transition from the stage of "what climate models tell us about the possible effects of climate change on bushfires", to "observing and experiencing extreme, unusual, and ecologically and economically damaging bushfires driven by anomalous climate conditions".
I didn't think I would live to see that transition.

As the climate changes, architects and engineers need to design buildings differently
https://www.mic.com/p/as-the-climate-changes-architects-engineers-need-to-design-buildings-differently-19313332
As Earth’s climate changes, the frequency, intensity and duration of these extreme weather events is expected to increase. At the University at Buffalo, I lead a laboratory that studies climate change and buildings. Our research shows that the U.S. building stock may not be prepared for future climate-related storms and flooding.
That';s good for future buildings, but what about the ones we already have?

California is one of many places wrestling with its climate change future
https://thehill.com/changing-america/resilience/natural-disasters/468785-california-is-one-of-many-places-wrestling-with
Over the past few weeks, wildfires in California have captured national attention.
This led some to say California is becoming unlivable, but the question of livability doesn’t just apply to the Golden State.
For example, communities around the globe are grappling with sea-level rise and other climate impacts.
What is Ohio doing? What is your community doing?

WHY CLIMATE CHANGE IS A WINNING ISSUE IN LANDLOCKED IOWA
https://www.ozy.com/acumen/why-climate-change-is-a-winning-issue-in-landlocked-iowa/230550/
That reality has led to the Democratic candidates campaigning directly to the weather-related concerns of Iowans in the critical first caucus state. Bernie Sanders recently moved to refocus his Iowa strategy around climate change, furthering a $1.3 million Iowa ad buy with a television spot about the Green New Deal and campaigning with Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez in Des Moines to talk about the $16 trillion climate-focused stimulus plan.
We'll find out if this is a political consequence of AGW in the next twelve months.

BONUS:
Banking giant HSBC gives shocking warning of US$10 trillion a year climate health bill
https://reneweconomy.com.au/banking-giant-hsbc-gives-shocking-warning-of-us10-trillion-a-year-climate-health-bill-76138/
Major global bank HSBC has issued a shocking assessment of a world impacted by climate change, predicting the health costs of the world’s fastest-growing economies could reach almost US$10 trillion (A$14.5 trillion) a year by 2050.
In a paper titled ‘Future cities: global warming and the risks to health’, HSBC Global Research predicts climate change will contribute to a five-fold increase in the cost of public health, as higher temperatures drive increases in the risk of heatstroke, dehydration and respiratory problems, as well as turbo-charging the growth of some diseases and illness.
The report focused on cities across the 11 members of the G20 considered ’emerging markets’. These are countries with the fastest-growing economies, including China, Brazil, India, South Korea and Indonesia, where climate impacts and rapidly changing demographics will lead to dramatic escalations in health costs.
This is not over 30 years, this is per year. Now that's real money.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 01:24:15 AM by Tom_Mazanec »

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #193 on: November 17, 2019, 08:13:17 PM »
You know, I get just about all my links from Daily Climate:
https://www.dailyclimate.org/
I mentioned this before, but thought it good to post here for people who follow this thread and not the other. Since I will have to stop after a couple months or so because of my pilgrimage. and since this takes up so much time, I might as well do it now.
EDIT 2: The thing I liked about my old way of posting was that I was segregating the links by topic. If you were interested in heatwaves, for example, that was where you would find pertinent links. But now using just one thread is redundant with Daily Climate.
Thank you.
EDIT: But here is a video I just found somewhere else -
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 08:39:06 PM by Tom_Mazanec »

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1047
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #194 on: November 17, 2019, 10:27:56 PM »
Lapham at his quarterly: the piper will be paid

"Nature doesn’t take checks. Who then pays the piper—does capitalism survive climate change, or does a changed climate put an end to capitalism?"

"The carbon in the biosphere is the weapon of mass destruction"

"finding it easier to imagine the end of the world than to conceive of an end to capitalism."

"The global consumer market is an universal wolf. Left to its Neolithic instincts, it must perforce eat up itself, devour and destroy the human race. Not with malice aforethought or for reasons ideological, but because it is a machine, and like all machines, among them the atomic bomb and Facebook, knows not what else to do."

"Losing sight of ourselves as human beings, we look to machines to tell us who and why and what we are, what to do and where to go, what to eat and buy and think, when to cry, how and at whom to laugh."

"The only power on earth capable of saving the human race is human, the means of doing so the learning that we are one with nature, not superior to or separate from."

https://www.laphamsquarterly.org/climate/paying-piper

sidd

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: November 18, 2019, 05:51:38 AM »
<snip>
"The only power on earth capable of saving the human race is human, the means of doing so the learning that we are one with nature, not superior to or separate from."

Thank you very much sidd.

The ultimate answer!
No supremacy over other lifeforms :) :). No supremacy over other humans. No supremacy!
(supremacy->insanity->destruction)
Civilisation culture is fundamentally wrong. The premise of supremacy over living nature is fundamentally wrong.
Civilisation is not the 'winner', it is the all-destructive transgression; the ultimate 'sin' if you want.
The other fundamentally wrong pillar of civilisation is the concept of family and fathers, and humans as predators.

For example, sitting on a horse, having a pet animal or mowing the grass are evil actions (i.e. very low morality)

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #196 on: November 18, 2019, 01:27:27 PM »
Is using antibacterial soap or mouthwash evil (low morality)?

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: November 18, 2019, 04:09:22 PM »

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: November 18, 2019, 06:02:01 PM »
Yes Tom. If it is technology (soap) that's outside living nature and if it kills other lifeforms (not for food) then it is low morality.

What I wrote is the view from reality and long term thinking. I have been riding horses myself. Most part of my life was in civilisation. I don't give judgement on people from civilisation today who perform those kinds of low morality actions. I have done it myself. Now I know better. It is not the people doing what's 'normal' in civilisation, I blame the civilisation culture itself.
We have been told/advised that our systems must change. I very much understand why. The last sentence of sidd's great  post reminded me of the view from reality and the ill of all supremacy.

I have thought a lot about the very long term and the relation between humans and living nature. What's long term 'sustainable' = being part of living nature. No supremacy. No technology beyond stone age. No ovens  :o.

This is my view and results of my research. I'm not a gambler. I am someone who understates.
I live by my own high morality in my actions and life path (if possible in current society). That path is a small, tough and lonely one. Remember, I chose to be poor. I could easily have been very rich if had prioritized material wealth.

Stone age technology will likely be the remaining techology level, 20-30 years after global economic and infrastructure collapse. If there is still an ecosystem left. If there are still humans left..
In this final context I want to thank Terry again for his great post in the Renewable Energy thread. He has a way with words that I lack  :-\:)

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #199 on: November 18, 2019, 06:25:58 PM »
Obviously, nanning, you have access to the Internet.