Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Individual action good, but not good enough  (Read 3916 times)

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1017
  • Likes Given: 1048
Re: Individual action good, but not good enough
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2019, 05:40:11 PM »
I'll get my f***ing gun ..
There is no death , the Son of God is We .

magnamentis

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2019, 05:48:17 PM »
I'll get my f***ing gun ..
considering the snippery on a bit OT but good stuff, yep. again 3 pages to sift through and 1 third is from this guy and mostly won't survive one page after that he will open new ones to keep his quota of presend/seeing his name with new non-sense.

:o :o
 :o :o :o :o :o :o

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1337
  • Likes Given: 618
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2019, 05:50:59 PM »
Okay, I'll let this one stand, but don't open so many threads, Tom.

No single action is good enough by itself, but individual action is an absolute prerequisite if you want to be able to live with yourself. Who enjoys being complicit in this system?
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2019, 05:57:43 PM »
OK, neven.
I sometimes feel torn between opening a new thread and making an OT post. I will try to error for the later.

b_lumenkraft

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2019, 06:15:32 PM »
I restricted myself to 3t of CO2 per year (since over 10 years now).

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3589
  • Likes Given: 3941
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2019, 06:19:32 PM »
General Statistics - oren
Total Time Spent Online:84 days, 5 hours and 9 minutes.
Total Posts:3611 posts
Total Topics Started:0 topics

General Statistics - Tom_Mazanec
Total Time Spent Online:2 days, 14 hours and 9 minutes.
Total Posts:321 posts
Total Topics Started:24 topics

Whenever I come across something interesting, I look for a thread to fit it in. There are many threads here on the ASIF that have very interesting conversations, some dating from the time the forum was started back in 2013. They cover most major topics. Opening new threads covering the same broad topic (such as "Sea Level Rise") only serves to split further discussions and to lose the past discussions on the same subject.
In my 5 years on the forum I only ever found good reasons to open maybe a couple of threads, which arose out of discussions in existing threads that were so long that they derailed the original thread. These threads were opened by others participating in the same discussion, as me the newbie didn't want to disrupt the way of the wise people here. I still feel like a newbie compared to the level of some posters here, so I prefer to err on the side of caution.

Tom - If you found the need to start 24 new threads in 2 months, with quite a few of them immediately locked by Neven, I think your thread opening algorithm needs some major tuning. I know you mean well and I like your contributions, but this specific aspect I find disruptive.

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1017
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2019, 06:32:17 PM »
serious consideration of Oren's post and acting upon it would be the best individual action that a zealous newbie could take ..
I for one am not convinced that Tom's methodology is anything less than deliberately disruptive . I too have survived here for some years and have found enough threads to post everything . Dilution of threads by multiplication and near duplication seems to be an easy way to weaken the Forum while appearing to add to it .. b.c.
There is no death , the Son of God is We .

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5308
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2019, 09:13:08 PM »
for posting about "Individual action good, but not good enough", and corporate polluters there is

"Extinction Rebellion",
" What's New in Climate Change Acceptance and Action"
"BAU until they peel my cold dead hands from it"

and probably loads more.

I think its just a lazy brain, that finds something, chucks it at the forum in the easiest way possible and also has the satisfaction of another thread that belongs to him.

Ho hum. Another thread to ignore.

"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

Pmt111500

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2019, 10:39:12 AM »
"may I interest you in this topic I show no indication I've read"

Individual action is the only thing individuals can do, as a group of people we might want to divest from those companies not taking this CC-thing seriously enough. Or do like the companies do and inform no votes nor money goes to politicians responsible for lax standards on environment.