Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Plant Life  (Read 1756 times)

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5304
  • Likes Given: 69
Plant Life
« on: June 10, 2019, 07:48:18 PM »
With some trepidation, I open a new thread.

It is because I couldn't find somewhere to post the guardian article entitled
"‘Frightening’ number of plant extinctions found in global survey ".

But then again, while many reports emerge about the forests, not many reports surface in the media about the decline in what is such a major part of the web of life.

Will this thread survive or become extinct? Who knows.
_____________________________________________________________-
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/jun/10/frightening-number-of-plant-extinctions-found-in-global-survey

‘Frightening’ number of plant extinctions found in global survey

Study shows 571 species wiped out, and scientists say figure is likely to be big underestimate

Human destruction of the living world is causing a “frightening” number of plant extinctions, according to scientists who have completed the first global analysis of the issue.

They found 571 species had definitely been wiped out since 1750 but with knowledge of many plant species still very limited the true number is likely to be much higher. The researchers said the plant extinction rate was 500 times greater now than before the industrial revolution, and this was also likely to be an underestimate.

“Plants underpin all life on Earth,” said Dr Eimear Nic Lughadha, at the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew, who was part of the team. “They provide the oxygen we breathe and the food we eat, as well as making up the backbone of the world’s ecosystems – so plant extinction is bad news for all species.”

The number of plants that have disappeared from the wild is more than twice the number of extinct birds, mammals and amphibians combined. The new figure is also four times the number of extinct plants recorded in the International Union for Conservation of Nature’s red list.
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5304
  • Likes Given: 69
Re: Plant Life
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2019, 07:55:50 PM »
But at least here is another one ...couldn't resist

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/jun/10/tree-planted-to-mark-trump-macron-friendship-dies
Trump and Macron’s symbolic friendship tree dies
French media say oak given by Macron and planted at White House is no more

It was a symbolic gift from Emmanuel Macron to Donald Trump at the height of their “bromance” last year: an oak tree ceremoniously planted in the manicured lawns of the White House by both leaders.

Macron, on a state visit to the US at the time, tweeted that the sapling would be “a reminder … of these ties that bind us” and the “tenacity of the friendship” of the two nations. From little acorns, great transatlantic ties would take root and grow, was the message.

Now, just as symbolically with relations strained between the two, the oak tree has reportedly died.

Le Monde reported its demise last week as the two presidents met in Caen for the 75th anniversary of the D-day landings, saying it was a “metaphor for a relationship that isn’t what it was”.
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2019, 08:08:16 PM »

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2051
  • Likes Given: 1988
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2019, 02:46:03 PM »
The Holocene extinction thread would have worked?
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2019, 03:57:07 PM »
The Holocene extinction thread would have worked?

I wanted people following the plants thread to know what is happening.

Niall Dollard

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 463
  • Likes Given: 117
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2023, 07:44:43 PM »
Evidence found of ripe cloudberries in Svalbard this autumn.

The cloudberry flower has been documented in Svalbard as far back as the early 20th century, but this is the first proof of ripe berries being found.

https://thebarentsobserver.com/en/arctic/2023/10/climate-change-brings-cloudberry-svalbard