Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Motzfeldt Lake, South Greenland  (Read 2828 times)

Stephan

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 758
  • Likes Given: 459
Motzfeldt Lake, South Greenland
« on: June 19, 2019, 09:01:37 PM »
For a while now I watch that lake close to Narssarsuaq growing, i.e. the glacier feeding it is receding. The lake is approx. 150 m above sea level. In 2005 the distance between the calving front and the upper corner where the glacier divides was around 4.8 km (according to Google Earth). In June 2016 (upper photo) this distance reduced to 4.3 km, red arrow. Now (June 2019) it has further reduced to around 3 km, red arrow (lower photo). At the moment this lake drains out to the south. I wonder when the waters of this huge lake will make their way (green arrow) into the western part of the glacier (X). And I also wonder whether this drainage wouldn't disturb or destroy this part of the glacier leading to further receding.
It is too late just to be concerned about Climate Change

Stephan

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 758
  • Likes Given: 459
Re: Motzfeldt Lake, South Greenland
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2019, 09:31:01 PM »
It is time to have a look at my "pet lake" in S Greenland before winter arrives and the melt season finishes. Sep 6 was a clear and mild day. From Sentinel I took the attached picture. The calving front has only slightly decreased in comparison with June, probably by less than 250 m. So a drainage of Motzfeldt Lake underneath the glacier N of it is unlikely to happen soon.

PS: Please refer to my last posting concerning the position of this lake.
It is too late just to be concerned about Climate Change