Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Ask me about commuting by bicycle (and multi-modal travel)  (Read 2109 times)

VideoGameVet

• New ice
  • Video Game Designer, Researcher, Cyclist
    • View Profile
    • The Climate Trail
  • Liked: 8
  • Likes Given: 2
Ask me about commuting by bicycle (and multi-modal travel)
« on: June 26, 2019, 11:55:22 PM »
I work in Los Angeles for 3 days during the week, take Amtrak (and the subway) up from the San Diego area with my folding bike.  Use the bike to get to where I'm staying, run errands etc.

Been doing that since Jan. 2018.

Back in the San Diego area I use the bike for shopping too.

Ask away.
"Humans went to the moon on purpose. We destroyed an entire planet by just not caring."

Villabolo

• New ice
    • View Profile
    • Global Warming Basics
  • Liked: 9
  • Likes Given: 22
Re: Ask me about commuting by bicycle (and multi-modal travel)
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2019, 09:42:19 PM »
My choice in bikes is a three wheel recumbent. Much superior to a conventional bike. It almost rides like an automobile. You sit down in a chair, not saddle, with your legs horizontal making it much more stable and comfortable than even a conventional three wheeler. Your rear is only 20 inches from the ground adding to the stability of the bike and lower profile.

You can ride it all day without any of the aches and pain of a conventional bike. Together, with a trailer, it allows you the luxury of having up to four grocery bags (the big paper ones).

Unfortunately, it cannot fold or be compact.

In my daydreams, I imagine people in the open, grass scattered roads of a partially collapsed civilization, riding these bikes.

https://sunbicyclesnashville.com/trikes.php

nanning

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 89
  • Likes Given: 4204
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2019, 07:21:53 AM »
I work in Los Angeles for 3 days during the week, take Amtrak (and the subway) up from the San Diego area with my folding bike.  Use the bike to get to where I'm staying, run errands etc.

Ask away.
Nice initiative!

I have some questions:

- What do you do when you get a flat tire?
- Do you wear a helmet?
- How old are you? I ask this for older readers who think they can't cycle. No need to answer ;).
- Is commuting by train and bike cheaper for you than using planes and automobiles?
- Are you bothered by smog?
- Is it safe to cycle where you are?
- Do you often meet strangers and have a nice conversation?
- Do you wear your work suit on your bike?
- Are you an urban cyclist or have you enjoyed cycling in nature?

I ask these questions mainly for other people who are considering cycling.
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly" - Bertrand Russell

Villabolo

• New ice
    • View Profile
    • Global Warming Basics
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2019, 04:01:50 PM »

Ask away.
Nice initiative!

I have some questions:

- Do you wear a helmet?
- How old are you? I ask this for older readers who think they can't cycle. No need to answer ;).
- Is commuting by train and bike cheaper for you than using planes and automobiles?

I ask these questions mainly for other people who are considering cycling.

Let me chime in:

I use a tube sealant.

- Do you wear a helmet?

All the time.

Sixty. My bike - see image above - is a 3 wheeler. It is even more stable than a traditional trike. Stability is important when you're my age.

No. Gasoline is cheaper.

Here in Los Angeles smog used to be an issue during the 1970s but our air got cleaned up since then.

Depends on where I'm going to. I use the sidewalks whenever I can but I believe that it's illegal.

I get into a lot of conversations due to how unusual my bike is. (See my image up in my previous post.).

I used to wear my uniform. Biking is very easy with that kind of bike so I don't sweat.

Strictly urban.

nanning

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 89
  • Likes Given: 4204
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2019, 07:21:24 PM »
Thank you for your honest answers Villabolo! :) :D

I had thought you might have some stories from travelling that way, but that may be off-topic or too personal  :-X ::)
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly" - Bertrand Russell

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 132
  • Likes Given: 293
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2019, 10:00:59 PM »
Not only is it usually illegal, driving on sidewalks is generally (if somewhat counter intuitively) more dangerous than driving on the road.

This is mostly because of the speed at which you are likely to enter an intersection, from a direction that drivers are only expecting slow moving pedestrians to be coming from, iirc.

Having said that, I must confess that in some circumstances I, too, sometimes bike on the sidewalk  ::)
"A force de chercher de bonnes raisons, on en trouve; on les dit; et après on y tient, non pas tant parce qu'elles sont bonnes que pour ne pas se démentir." Choderlos de Laclos "You struggle to come up with some valid reasons, then cling to them, not because they're good, but just to not back down."

Villabolo

• New ice
    • View Profile
    • Global Warming Basics
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2019, 01:29:30 PM »
Not only is it usually illegal, driving on sidewalks is generally (if somewhat counter intuitively) more dangerous than driving on the road.

This is mostly because of the speed at which you are likely to enter an intersection, from a direction that drivers are only expecting slow moving pedestrians to be coming from, iirc.

Having said that, I must confess that in some circumstances I, too, sometimes bike on the sidewalk  ::)

Yes, it could be dangerous, but I always come to a stop before crossing the street. I also have two horns for my bike. One is a cutesie horn which sounds like something a clown would toot. My serious horn is an Air-Zound, which is very loud, every bit as loud as a car's horn. It uses compressed air which your tire pump can recharge.