Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Poll

Regarding GIFs, would you like to have them 'autoplay' or 'click to play'?

My internet connection is freaking awesome. I want all GIFs to autoplay by default.
1 (4.2%)
I'm aware that there are folks with poor connection. So i think only big files should be click to play.
17 (70.8%)
My internet connection sucks big time. Please make all GIFs click to play.
6 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Author Topic: GIF size, your Internet, and what is usable?  (Read 9354 times)

b_lumenkraft

GIF size, your Internet, and what is usable?
« on: July 08, 2019, 08:49:25 PM »
Do you think even very small (~1mb) files should be click to play?

No one ever answered so i ask here. :)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 09:08:13 PM by b_lumenkraft »

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 826
Re: GIF size, your Internet, and what is usable?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2019, 09:48:45 PM »
It's unanimous, so far.  :)
At home I sometimes run into slow downloads on certain threads, so I appreciate the click-to-run feature for large GIFs, etc.
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

b_lumenkraft

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2019, 09:52:56 PM »
Unanimous equals good! :)

uniquorn

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2173
  • Likes Given: 388
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2019, 09:58:04 PM »
please define 'big'

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5308
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2019, 10:41:28 PM »
Having to do a click  to see a gif?
What a shocking waste of my valuable time.

Precious pups rule, OK ?
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

HapHazard

• Grease ice
  • Chillin' on Cold Mountain.
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 284
  • Likes Given: 5257
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2019, 11:07:32 PM »
My internet connection is freaking awesome. I'm also aware that there are folks with a poor connection. I also find autoplay anything to be annoying. Please make all GIFs click to play.

That's my vote + explanation.
If I call you out but go no further, the reason is Brandolini's law.

magnamentis

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2019, 11:15:13 PM »
I'm aware that there are folks with poor connection. So i think only big files should be click to play.

while this is also true, the reasons may differ. my main reason is that i hate ANYTHING to start playing/moving before i'm ready or willing to start watching.

autoplay is something that even on main browser level can in one or another way be prohibited.

i like gifs that start on click with either a click to start mention below or in picture, depending on feasibility and ease of production.

abraca

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2019, 11:40:27 PM »
It may be all click-to-animate, but please differentiate static images from animated ones somehow, maybe thick red border visible till you click on the image to animate, please?

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1017
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2019, 12:30:31 AM »
As Haphazard says .. click to play . Maybe it's an age thing .. and eyesight .. but I hate the autoplaying world we are increasingly exposed to . I delight in what folk bring video wise but I really would like control .. even when it's only a couple of frames jumping over and back .. but at a speed I can't choose . b.c.
There is no death , the Son of God is We .

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2019, 12:38:32 AM »
lol .. sorry b-l .. completely forgot your question this morning .. I was devouring the day , not broadcasting .. .. so anyway .. as above .. yes .. I would prefer everything click n play .. even your little page~flicker ones .. but then only 'cause I would like some control as consumer .. b.c.

interstitial

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 574
  • Likes Given: 96
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2019, 07:35:22 AM »
I voted the last one not because my internet sucks but while some animations are awesome many don't hold any interest. Besides what is the problem is it that hard to click a mouse to see something.

b_lumenkraft

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2019, 07:38:50 AM »
please define 'big'

small     = < 1 mb
medium    = 1-3 mb
big       = > 3 mb

b_lumenkraft

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2019, 07:42:26 AM »
My internet connection is freaking awesome. I'm also aware that there are folks with a poor connection. I also find autoplay anything to be annoying. Please make all GIFs click to play.

That's my vote + explanation.

Thanks so much for your opinion! :)

The problem with this approach is, if you resize a small GIF so it wouldn't autoplay, you also make the file size bigger.

PS: Apparently you are not alone finding autoplay annoying. :)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 08:04:00 AM by b_lumenkraft »

b_lumenkraft

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2019, 07:49:42 AM »

while this is also true, the reasons may differ. my main reason is that i hate ANYTHING to start playing/moving before i'm ready or willing to start watching.

autoplay is something that even on main browser level can in one or another way be prohibited.

i like gifs that start on click with either a click to start mention below or in picture, depending on feasibility and ease of production.

Honestly, i never considered autoplay to be simply annoying. Now that i think of it it makes sense.

That's great feedback, Mag. Thanks.

b_lumenkraft

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2019, 07:50:51 AM »
It may be all click-to-animate, but please differentiate static images from animated ones somehow, maybe thick red border visible till you click on the image to animate, please?

This is a thing i don't control.

But when there is a click to play GIF i would always add the disclaimer '(Click to play)'.

b_lumenkraft

« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2019, 07:55:44 AM »
lol .. sorry b-l .. completely forgot your question this morning .. I was devouring the day , not broadcasting .. .. so anyway .. as above .. yes .. I would prefer everything click n play .. even your little page~flicker ones .. but then only 'cause I would like some control as consumer .. b.c.

Thanks, B.C.

I think i'm gonna do that in the future.

My thinking was when i resize a small GIF to 701 pixels, the file size increases, sometimes dramatically. I wanted to prevent that.

But the 'want to have control over the media as a user' argument is a good one.

b_lumenkraft

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2019, 07:58:28 AM »
I voted the last one not because my internet sucks but while some animations are awesome many don't hold any interest. Besides what is the problem is it that hard to click a mouse to see something.

Thanks, Interstitial. I never considered that. Good, i made a poll! :)

b_lumenkraft

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2019, 07:59:50 AM »

Precious pups rule, OK ?

Repeat after me: Con-ve-ni-ence!

;)

KiwiGriff

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 710
  • Likes Given: 380
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2019, 08:07:24 AM »
Another vote for click to play please.
I use mobile  data  the bandwidth is restricted sometimes due to atmospherics or demand.   Also the Mbytes used from auto playing stuff  mounts over a month sometimes causing me to overrun the cap on my data plan. 
Animals can be driven crazy by placing too many in too small a pen. Homo sapiens is the only animal that voluntarily does this to himself.
Notebooks of Lazarus Long.
Robert Heinlein.

b_lumenkraft

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2019, 08:17:35 AM »
Another vote for click to play please.
I use mobile  data  the bandwidth is restricted sometimes due to atmospherics or demand.   Also the Mbytes used from auto playing stuff  mounts over a month sometimes causing me to overrun the cap on my data plan.

Thanks a lot, KiwiGriff.

That's a valuable input. 'Click to play' it is!! :)

grixm

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 374
  • Likes Given: 131
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2019, 08:29:14 AM »
The problem with this approach is, if you resize a small GIF so it wouldn't autoplay, you also make the file size bigger.

We could just modify the forum software to make all gifs/videos click to play, regardless of size.

By the way, I mentioned it in a different thread but gif's are antiquated formats anyway. If you make the animation a video like mp4 or webm you can reduce the filesize at least 80% without losing quality.

b_lumenkraft

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2019, 08:54:39 AM »

We could just modify the forum software to make all gifs/videos click to play, regardless of size.

Eager to hear what Neven thinks of this (IMHO good) idea.

By the way, I mentioned it in a different thread but gif's are antiquated formats anyway. If you make the animation a video like mp4 or webm you can reduce the filesize at least 80% without losing quality.

Yes, that's correct. But GIF is some kind of a standard. It's easy to share on every platform.

MP4 and WebM are not there yet. :(

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5308
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2019, 10:45:22 AM »

Precious pups rule, OK ?

Repeat after me: Con-ve-ni-ence!

;)
Con-ve-ni-ence! Can be a euphemism for what you use when having a crap.
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

b_lumenkraft

« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2019, 11:04:45 AM »

euphemism

I laughed so hard, my cat's flight reflex kicked in...  :o

HapHazard

• Grease ice
  • Chillin' on Cold Mountain.
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 284
  • Likes Given: 5257
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2019, 11:12:27 AM »
Depending on your browser, there may be add-ons available for this. Might be worth a poke around internetland.

Used to be that you could hit SHIFT + ESC in Firefox, and animations would stop loading. There's also settings you can change in about:config to do with autoplaying (gif & videos).  I mostly use Palemoon here, and the only setting I have changed relating to autoplay is
Code: [Select]
media.autoplay.enabled | type=boolean | value=falsebut that's just for videos (all sites).
If I call you out but go no further, the reason is Brandolini's law.

uniquorn

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2173
  • Likes Given: 388
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2019, 11:35:20 AM »
Animations are a bit irritating. In future I think I'll try posting a few lines of text and 3 or 4 large images instead.

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2019, 11:52:36 AM »
Hi Uniquorn .. you post many of the best animations .. and the bigger the better .. your big ones are usually click to play and please everyone . Your little ones that self play or have 4 playing at once are more challenging . I would hate my poor intrnet to cause you to reduce your valuable imput .. b.c.

b_lumenkraft

« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2019, 12:05:52 PM »
Animations are a bit irritating.

Your animations are many things. Things like educative, interesting, brilliant, and much more. The word irritating doesn't come to mind, sir. :)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 12:15:05 PM by b_lumenkraft »

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2019, 12:13:07 PM »
on reflection .. and looking at Nares thread .. I would continue to be happy with little gifs self play .. b.c.

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3589
  • Likes Given: 3943
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2019, 03:45:57 PM »
I'm alsi happy with self play for small gifs. It saves me clicks, especially useful when using my phone. For larger gifs click to play is best. I find animations to be much better than several images, as the differences are much more apparent.

b_lumenkraft

« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2019, 04:08:32 PM »
I find animations to be much better than several images, as the differences are much more apparent.

Totally agree! Sometimes a GIF shows more than 1000 pictures. ;)

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 826
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2019, 04:08:41 PM »
euphemism
I laughed so hard, my cat's flight reflex kicked in...  :o
Consider yourself reported to the ASPCA*  >:( - wait, that's only for the U. S. of A.  So, I've gone to "wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_animal_welfare_organizations" and for Germany there is only one organization listed: Deutsche Arbeitsgemeinschaft zum Schutz der Eulen.  Consider yourself reported to them - of course, as owl lovers, they may think scaring cats is okay.  Maybe you're safe for another day.  :o
 :P

____
* - American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

b_lumenkraft

« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2019, 04:13:52 PM »
I can assure you, Tor, no animals were harmed during laughing this laugh!  ;D  ;)

Nice try with the owls though!

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2019, 10:29:33 AM »
Freegrass's daily dose of self loading videos ( and he's not alone ) has stopped me loading the melting thread recently . Once again I appeal on behalf of the planet , my pocket and my patience !!! b.c.

blumenkraft

« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2019, 11:19:44 AM »
Please, everyone doing GIFs:

In general, produce GIFs. They would work on any platform. If it's a big file (>2.5mb), canvas size should be >700 pixels so that it doesn't autoplay.

If there is no way around mp4 for you, consider uploading to Youtube and link it.

If you don't like Youtube for some reason, at least make it >700px big so they wouldn't autoplay and eat up data budget for users.

Thank you. :)

Pro-tip concerning screenshots. Even screenshots can be very big in file size. Upload them to EZgif, adjust canvas size to 700px, optimize it at 35 and then download as a GIF. You can easily make a 2.5mb file to be 150kb. Better for the forum server, the users and the CO2 consumption. Everyone is happy.  ;D

nanning

• Nilas ice
  • 0Kg CO₂, 37 KWh/wk,125L H₂O/wk, No offspring
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 273
  • Likes Given: 23170
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2019, 12:00:02 PM »
Great post blumenkraft. Thanks for the info and tips :)
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly" - Bertrand Russell
"It is preoccupation with what other people from your groups think of you, that prevents you from living freely and nobly" - Nanning
Why do you keep accumulating stuff?

philopek

« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2019, 06:57:49 PM »
Freegrass's daily dose of self loading videos ( and he's not alone ) has stopped me loading the melting thread recently . Once again I appeal on behalf of the planet , my pocket and my patience !!! b.c.

perhaps this helps in some cases, just discard if not ;)

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2019, 10:31:42 PM »
 I have massively reduced my time on the forum lately . I did not realise just how much of my monthly data was being eaten by gifs . Freegrass has been costing me a small fortune as I race toward the inevitable data squeeze for the last week then fortnight of the month.
  I know blumenkraft and others have demonsrated there is no difficulty in providing gifs etc that do not self load or run automatically ; but most regular high megabyte uploaders ignore these options and go for maximal consumption options , obviously in a 'to hell with the planet' approach to warning us of impending doom .
 I will continue to appeal to people to consider those with low data provisions and more importantly the people who come after us .
  lol .. I just looked at the last 3 posts on the melt thread .. 8000kbs of data just gobbled . I can but try / cry .. b.c.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 04:09:58 PM by be cause »

nanning

• Nilas ice
  • 0Kg CO₂, 37 KWh/wk,125L H₂O/wk, No offspring
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 273
  • Likes Given: 23170
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2019, 05:32:19 AM »
Maybe it is possible to change the forum software. To provide a separate way to load the thread without all the embedding and autoloading. To only load the bare HTML.

Have you tried to use wget in stead of your browser?
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly" - Bertrand Russell
"It is preoccupation with what other people from your groups think of you, that prevents you from living freely and nobly" - Nanning
Why do you keep accumulating stuff?

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3589
  • Likes Given: 3943
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2019, 05:34:31 PM »
Cross posting:
The current problem is with mp4 files. Although they require a click to play they still load into the browser. If DM or Neven can disable this autoloading and just load a thumbnail it would fix everything.

grixm

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 374
  • Likes Given: 131
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2019, 05:49:07 PM »
I have massively reduced my time on the forum lately . I did not realise just how much of my monthly data was being eaten by gifs . Freegrass has been costing me a small fortune as I race toward the inevitable data squeeze for the last week then fortnight of the month.
  I know blumenkraft and others have demonsrated there is no difficulty in providing gifs etc that do not self load or run automatically ; but most regular high megabyte uploaders ignore these options and go for maximal consumption options , obviously in a 'to hell with the planet' approach to warning us of impending doom .
 I will continue to appeal to people to consider those with low data provisions and more importantly the people who come after us .
  lol .. I just looked at the last 3 posts on the melt thread .. 8000kbs of data just gobbled . I can but try / cry .. b.c.

Are you aware that the forum has a WAP2 mode? Here you can browse in in text only, each visit only costing you 3-4 kB: https://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php?wap2

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2019, 07:31:47 PM »
yes grixm .. I tried it out last year but it spoils the experience of the forum . It is the autoplaying option only that ruins my experience here .. but why should everyone who comes here join in unnecessary energy consumption because some few people refuse to adopt the efficient options of presentation ? I hope to follow philopek's suggestion myself but really it is the choice of posting method that needs to change . b.c.

philopek

« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2019, 08:10:04 PM »
Ni .. can you help ? .. I've no idea what you said .. but I like the outcome .. I have no idea how to find the autoplay disabler . I have no education or much interest in computers other than to access what I think #I want to see . I don't understand the language and have made no attempt to learn . Could you post an 'idiots guide' to getting the job done perhaps on the gifs thread .. it would be much appreciated .. :)

Hi,

Posting here as per your suggestion via PM and do my best to get you there ;)

a) You'd need to update "Google Chrome" to anything above 76.x.xxxx.....
-   Attached screenshot(s) are OSX/Mac versions but to find and update
-   under Windows would be not so much different.

-   Thing is that a) and b) are not related but a) comes with a then new feature that would
-   not load background (invisible) media content by default which already solves one of your main
-   issues that was that each time you visit a page it would reload all the videos, images and gifs.
-   as to the videos i'm 100% sure it won't but i did not test each media file extension separately.

b) You'd have to install a specific Extension or several should you find others on my list that make sense for you ;) It allows you to decide on a "per site" basis to disable auto-launch/auto-play of
html5 content.

-   Screenshot attached as well and the link to that specific one separately below :

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/disable-html5-autoplay/efdhoaajjjgckpbkoglidkeendpkolai

c) As to dealing with .gif files in a similar manner i link you to a search collection containing various solutions and workarounds, perhaps you find one that is after your gusto.

Hopefully this is useful, else let me know, i'll come by here again ;)

blumenkraft

« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2019, 08:10:26 PM »
I wasn't aware MP4s loads in the background until Oren mentioned it earlier today. And i bet i'm not the only one. People upload big files in the (false) hope it wouldn't download on the user's side.

philopek

« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2019, 08:44:16 PM »
Browser configuration
Many web browsers support the ability to disable any images from being displayed to help with load times for users with slower Internet connection. Verify this option is not enabled by following the steps below.

Chrome
Google Chrome users
Open Google Chrome.
Click the Customize and control Google Chrome icon Chrome settings in the upper-right corner of the window.
Select Settings from the drop-down menu.
At the bottom of the screen, click Show advanced settings...
Click the Content settings  button button.
Under Images make sure the circle next to Show all images is selected.
Click Done.
Close and re-open the browser window.

Internet Explorer
Internet Explorer users
Open Internet Explorer.
Click Tools IE tools icon in the top-right corner of the window.
Select Internet Options.
In the Internet Options window, click the Advanced tab.
In the Settings under Multimedia, make sure there is a check in the Show Pictures check box.
Click Apply, then OK.
If after following these steps you continue to have the same issue, follow each of the recommended steps in our basic Internet Explorer troubleshooting section.

Firefox
Mozilla Firefox users
Open Mozilla Firefox.
Type about:config in the address bar.
Click the I accept the risk! button.
Search for and double-click on permissions.default.image.
In the box that pops up, make sure the value is 1.

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2019, 09:12:10 PM »
Hi Philopek..
       I didn't find a content settings button (chrome) .. 'open proxy settings' was the closest but .. b.c.
 I'm on a laptop if that makes a difference ..

philopek

« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2019, 03:14:22 AM »
Hi Philopek..
       I didn't find a content settings button (chrome) .. 'open proxy settings' was the closest but .. b.c.
 I'm on a laptop if that makes a difference ..

Laptop doesn't make a difference:

Privacy and Security > Site Settings > Images

gandul

« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2019, 03:17:02 PM »
In an effort to be constructive for once, I collect elsewhere what seems to be the common demands, perhaps somebody with authority can put them in tables:

- If one can go all the way to post the animation on YouTube, seems the best option. Size UNLIMITED for the main thread.
- If you are with mp4, the jump to YT seems easy (upload it to your channel there; the embedding  here is just writing the YT video url and works like a charm)
- If you are with gif, or stuck with mp4, don’t post over 1.5MB in the main thread, (or make the gif bigger than 700x pixels).
- Post on the main thread mp4 and gif only if < 1.5 MB, and avoid posting multiple per day unless absolutely necessary (avoid cluttering thread with animations only, as common sense dictates).
- if you cannot comply with any of the above, post the animation over the animations thread and link to main thread for discussion.

IF ALL HAPPY MAYBE NEVEN COULD MAKE THEM INTO A RULE OF SORTS  :) :) :) :) :)

gandul

« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2019, 03:25:32 PM »
Please, everyone doing GIFs:

In general, produce GIFs. They would work on any platform. If it's a big file (>2.5mb), canvas size should be >700 pixels so that it doesn't autoplay.

If there is no way around mp4 for you, consider uploading to Youtube and link it.

If you don't like Youtube for some reason, at least make it >700px big so they wouldn't autoplay and eat up data budget for users.

Thank you. :)

Pro-tip concerning screenshots. Even screenshots can be very big in file size. Upload them to EZgif, adjust canvas size to 700px, optimize it at 35 and then download as a GIF. You can easily make a 2.5mb file to be 150kb. Better for the forum server, the users and the CO2 consumption. Everyone is happy.  ;D
I just noticed this. Seems pretty much what I put together, 2.5 MB as size threshold is good to me but what do I know. Let’s avoid big files and only post relatively small files in main thread, thats the message, try to use youTube for big mp4, use >700 pixels for big gifs...