Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: ASIF Statistics  (Read 162 times)

Darvince

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
    • NSIDC Daily
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 6
ASIF Statistics
« on: July 11, 2019, 06:51:37 PM »
I have made a spreadsheet with this forum's daily statistics that includes several charts. I pulled the statistics from here. If Google Sheets gives your computer fits as it is so poorly coded, I will link to a download for an Excel chart copy of it later. (as I just discovered I cannot upload Excel spreadsheets)

What immediately struck me the most as I was assembling these statistics is that the activity level this summer is so much higher than what has come before. The activity (11-day averaged posts) has been at or near record highs for nearly 2 months! Also, that the number of posts being made is completely unrelated to the number of new topics started. In fact, the number of new topics seems to have only gone down since the beginning.

Other stats that aren't in the Statistics Center and don't change much daily:
Percentage of members who have made a post: 59.8%
Average number of posts by a member: 128
Median number of posts by a member: 1 (this one is surprisingly close to 2)

As this is my first topic, I searched far and wide for topics that could already be covering this but couldn't find one.

b_lumenkraft

Re: ASIF Statistics
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2019, 07:07:13 PM »
Also, that the number of posts being made is completely unrelated to the number of new topics started. In fact, the number of new topics seems to have only gone down since the beginning.

I think this is quite logical. There is a thread for every general topic by now. The need to open new threads becomes smaller over time.

Thanks for doing this, Darvince. Great idea. :)

gerontocrat

• ASIF Royalty
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 724
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2019, 07:18:05 PM »
(as I just discovered I cannot upload Excel spreadsheets)

Google sheets works fine until it doesn't. Stick to very basic formulae and no problem. Tried it on one of my spreadsheets once just to see the entire shambles and gobbledy-gook it made. "Another fine mess you've got me into, Google."

This might work -
do a "save as" .csv file type.
You can then attach the .csv file to a posting on the forum.

We will only get the data as numbers plus the alphanumeric fields, all the equations are lost. But a .csv file can be uploaded into loads of different programs.
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

Neven

• Administrator
  • ASIF Royalty
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 509
  • Likes Given: 355
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2019, 11:35:41 PM »
Cool stuff, Darvince! I think you may find a correlation with Arctic sea ice loss.  ;)
Il faut comparer, comparer, comparer, et cultiver notre jardin

kassy

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 51
  • Likes Given: 136
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2019, 11:54:43 AM »
That spike in topics. Must have been a disturbance in the force.  ::)