Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Suggestions  (Read 158879 times)

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
Re: Suggestions
« Reply #150 on: May 26, 2018, 11:39:35 PM »
Gerontocrat, I accidentally sent you a PM containing the text for a comment I wanted to post here (and didn't save it).

Could you please be so kind as to copypaste it for me?
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5277
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #151 on: May 26, 2018, 11:46:43 PM »
Gerontocrat, I accidentally sent you a PM containing the text for a comment I wanted to post here (and didn't save it).

In bed and on my mobile. Will do first thing tomorrow. Promise!
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #152 on: May 26, 2018, 11:53:18 PM »
Okay, I'll wait for you to post it, and then tell you guys if my idea worked or not.  ;)

I think it did!  8)
The enemy is within

E. Smith

magnamentis

« Reply #153 on: May 27, 2018, 02:15:14 AM »
one thing with off-topic posts in the sea-ice forum is that almost nothing is really off-topic.

politics, technology, life-style, all this things together are roots for the problem(s) we are facing and it's totally difficult to not respond with best intention providing max possible input which is often not so narrowly focused on the topic.

i propose to keep the current level of free speech combined with polling the stop sign if it get's to far off but without bad feelings.

as i just said that's how it currently is (was) and i find it very well managed. if we split topics that belong together to strictly i think we shall get many disconnected threads of data collections that won't help solving the real problem which is awareness and life style as well as mediocre political and economical leadership.

i personally don't like "fachidioten" who are mostly right in what they say but won't bring mankind forward because they rarely have the big picture in mind.

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 27, 2018, 11:05:43 AM »

Better late than never?

This is what Neven said he would do - and did.

Re: (No subject)
« Sent to: gerontocrat on: May 26, 2018, 11:37:57 PM » ReplyQuoteDelete
Thanks for moving the conversation here, gerontocrat.

As said in the melting season topic, I will try to install this mod that will allow me to hide certain topics from the 'Recent topics' list.  It may not work because it hasn't been updated since 2014, but as a mod, it doesn't seem too complex. If it does work, I think I may have solved the problem to everyone's content.

I thought about removing the political topics from the forum entirely, but 1) I think they are useful despite the animosity, and 2) the ASIF takes up so much of my time that it's difficult to stay up-to-date with other stuff that interests me (technology, renewables and yes, politics too), and this way I get a variety of opinions on the stuff that's vital to our global society.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #155 on: May 27, 2018, 06:16:02 PM »
Thanks for posting my comment, gerontocrat!

Indeed, it seems it has worked. I've blocked all activity from the 'the Rest' board. Sorry for not doing it earlier. I thought it couldn't been done, and it has taken me a while to start installing mods without asking DungeonMaster's permission. I'm afraid that I screw things up and have to bother him.

But this has worked so far.

My question to you guys would be: Should I also block certain topics from other boards, like, for example the 'If not Capitalism' thread from the 'Policy and solutions' board? Should I block everything except Arctic sea ice?

I don't know what's best, so I'd like to hear your thoughts.
The enemy is within

E. Smith

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 27, 2018, 07:31:30 PM »

My question to you guys would be: Should I also block certain topics from other boards, like, for example the 'If not Capitalism' thread from the 'Policy and solutions' board? Should I block everything except Arctic sea ice?

Instead of blocking the thread I would move "if not capitalism" to "the rest" since there is little specfic "policy and solutions" and an awful  lot of "comparative political systems 1.01" and vitriol.

But expect some kick-back ?

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3582
  • Likes Given: 3914
« Reply #157 on: May 27, 2018, 09:30:19 PM »
Even better just to block the "off-topic" section, as "The Forum" section rarely updates and should be interesting to most.
"If not capitalism" has suddenly grown and become a battleground, so maybe it could be moved to the off-topic section.
I just have a stupid question - is this change already implemented? Because I can still see off-topic threads in the recent unread threads list. I mean this link:
Show unread posts since last visit.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 09:46:23 PM by oren »

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #158 on: May 27, 2018, 10:11:27 PM »
Instead of blocking the thread I would move "if not capitalism" to "the rest" since there is little specfic "policy and solutions" and an awful  lot of "comparative political systems 1.01" and vitriol.

Even though discussion of political systems does bear mostly on 'policy and solutions' I have moved the thread to 'The rest'.

I just have a stupid question - is this change already implemented? Because I can still see off-topic threads in the recent unread threads list. I mean this link:Show unread posts since last visit.

What I did, only applies to the 'Recent posts' list on the front page (I called it 'Recent topics' list yesterday, but it's 'Recent posts'), as I agree that this list should mostly contain Arctic sea ice-related comments on an Arctic Sea Ice Forum, and not Russia-Mueller investigation-Trump-Corporate democrats-US Empire.

I wouldn't know how to do the same for the 'Recent unread topics' list you refer to. Again, my method is to use the 'Notify' button for topics I want to keep an eye on.
The enemy is within

E. Smith

Susan Anderson

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 40
  • Likes Given: 279
« Reply #159 on: May 27, 2018, 10:15:39 PM »
This is such a good idea. Those of us who want to maudle on arguing about politics and money and different belief systems can hoick on without being overwhelmed by temptation.

It's a very good idea for us to have to go through another (not difficult) step to get there.

THANK YOU!

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #160 on: May 27, 2018, 10:17:32 PM »
Again, sorry for not doing this earlier. But better late than never.
The enemy is within

E. Smith

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 27, 2018, 10:21:16 PM »
I wouldn't know how to do the same for the 'Recent unread topics' list you refer to. Again, my method is to use the 'Notify' button for topics I want to keep an eye on.
If you do find a way to do that for the recent unread topics list, it would be a great help, as this list is linked from the top of every page and is very easy to use.
The caveat of using the Notify button is that the user might miss new threads about interesting subjects.

Susan Anderson

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 40
  • Likes Given: 279
« Reply #162 on: May 27, 2018, 10:38:10 PM »
Minor item:

Arctic Cafe is not exactly other, if and when there is time ... ?

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #163 on: May 27, 2018, 10:58:13 PM »
Minor item:

Arctic Cafe is not exactly other, if and when there is time ... ?

Ah yes, I'll see if I can solve that tomorrow. Thanks for suggesting.

If you do find a way to do that for the recent unread topics list, it would be a great help, as this list is linked from the top of every page and is very easy to use.

To me this is mostly about the image of the ASIF, ie the front page, the first thing most people see. Maybe others, unlike you, want to see unread comments from political topics on the 'Recent unread topics' list.

But I understand what you mean when you say it's convenient to have a link at the top of every page. Otherwise I'd tell you to just click on 'Unread posts' next to one of the three categories (Cryosphere, AGW in general and Off-topic).

Maybe it'd be good to have links to 'Recent unread topics' list for all three categories on top of every page, but I don't know how to do that. It would probably requires some changes in CSS stylesheets or whatever, and I don't know how to get to that.

But maybe I can find a mod or something. No promises, though!  :)

The caveat of using the Notify button is that the user might miss new threads about interesting subjects.

You can also get notified for entire boards (for instance 'Arctic sea ice' or 'Glaciers' or 'The rest'), and receive a message every time a new topic is opened in the board.
The enemy is within

E. Smith

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 28, 2018, 12:18:55 AM »
Again, sorry for not doing this earlier. But better late than never.
Do not be sorry. Tis the time to sort out your garden, us stroppy  demanding people can wait a little bit.

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1008
  • Likes Given: 1031
« Reply #165 on: May 28, 2018, 01:34:07 AM »
Big Hugs All Round ! :)  b.c.
Conflict is the root of all evil , for being blind it does not see whom it attacks . Yet it always attacks the Son Of God , and the Son of God is you .

NevB

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 82
  • Likes Given: 571
« Reply #166 on: May 28, 2018, 03:17:53 AM »
Good job.

Having the Recent posts full of replies to the "others" threads made it hard to refer people to this site when discussing AGW. Now I will be able to do this again without giving the impression that the site is full of politics.

This now restores the focus back to the Ice and still allows me to enjoy the "others" discussions.

Thanks Neven.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #167 on: May 28, 2018, 12:38:30 PM »
Instead of hiding comments from the entire 'The rest' board, I have hidden individual threads, mostly the controversial ones. So, 'Arctic café' is now visible again on the 'Recent posts' list on the front page. I've also excluded the 'Population: public enemy no 1' thread, and I will now move the 'If not Capitalism' thread to the 'Policy and solutions' board and then hide it.

Let me know if there are other threads you prefer not to see pop up on the 'Recent posts' list on the front page. I'll also try to keep an eye on it.
The enemy is within

E. Smith

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 28, 2018, 05:39:53 PM »
My overall feeling is that only Folders and threads in Cryosphere should show up in Recent Posts.

Move everything else out as the Cryosphere is the core purpose of ASIF and the Blog from the beginning (wasn't it?) So keep the focus on that on the Home Page.

In fact if possible I would move Recent posts table directly underneath the Cryosphere section if possible and drop the rest below.
I think I disagree with the suggestion but wholly agree with "the Cryosphere is the core purpose of ASIF".

But we live in an interconnected biosphere - what happens in the Arctic does not stay in the Arctic and vice-versa.

So for me the heart remains the cryosphere but I have learnt so much more directly from other threads and also been given pointers to look for other stuff- whether it be methane, fossil fuels, global ocean heat content, Paris Agreement el al.

As for many others, it was the heated debate on political ideologies that diverted attention from the planet on which we live that hacked me off and how it was dominating the recent posts.

I think Neven's actions are more than sufficient and more would ask too much from him and start yet more heated debate.

Give it a rest, chappesses and chaps - in the Northern Hemisphere it is summer - smell the roses.

ps: Whenever possible when throwing data at us please, pretty please, always give the link?

Paladiea

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #169 on: May 31, 2018, 05:36:59 PM »
This might be a silly question, but is there a section on here concerning planetary thermodynamics?
The most enjoyable way to think about heat transfer through radiation is to picture a Star Wars laser battle, where every atom and molecule is constantly firing at every other atom and molecule.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #170 on: May 31, 2018, 07:00:59 PM »
If it's here, it should be somewhere in the Science board under 'AGW in general'. If you can't find anything, you can open a thread yourself.
The enemy is within

E. Smith

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 25, 2018, 11:24:04 AM »
For the second time, today I clucked the "Mark all messages as read" button by mistake, and it wiped out all the unread esoteric threads I never got around to reading. If possible, could you please add an "are you sure" confirmation question before this goes into effect?
The good news: it cleared up all the political threads from my list, until the next storm of posts comes up.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #172 on: June 25, 2018, 12:50:05 PM »
If possible, could you please add an "are you sure" confirmation question before this goes into effect?

I've never come across such a function on the admin panel, but I'll see if I can find anything.
The enemy is within

E. Smith

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 826
« Reply #173 on: June 26, 2018, 06:16:00 PM »
Is there a way to find out how many people have me on "ignore"?  Not 'who', but is it zero, one, ten or a hundred?  Once in a while I have the experience of "I just answered that question..." and wonder if I'm on "ignore" or if the 'new' poster just doesn't read (the old fashioned 'ignore').

I imagine it is frustrating to prolific posters who get ignored by lots of folks ...
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

Pmt111500

« Reply #174 on: June 26, 2018, 08:52:35 PM »
Is there a way to find out how many people have me on "ignore"?  Not 'who', but is it zero, one, ten or a hundred?  Once in a while I have the experience of "I just answered that question..." and wonder if I'm on "ignore" or if the 'new' poster just doesn't read (the old fashioned 'ignore').

I imagine it is frustrating to prolific posters who get ignored by lots of folks ...

Yep, this could be interesting to see after some of my rants.

magnamentis

« Reply #175 on: June 26, 2018, 09:31:12 PM »

Yep, this could be interesting to see after some of my rants.

not going against this but IMO it should not matter because:

a) we believe in what we're saying, why care then

b) most peoply who later were proven correct or not wrong were hated, not only ignored
.   hence one can almost see it as a compliment or at least proof for leaving a mark (if that's
.   worth anything which IMO it is not but for some)

c) should we start to deny our convictions and experience because others don' like them?

d) if we do wrong, i.e. in tone like myself sometimes, one can accept a critical feedback
.   and won't be too much ignored.

e) i strongly believe that most who ignore me are mutually ignored by me too, that can happen
.   if there is a certain incompatibility or unwillingness of some to admit imperfection and readindess .   to learn.

again, this are just things to consider, no dogma and not meant to say just no but, more
like yes but:

;)  8)

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 26, 2018, 10:59:03 PM »
Tor, I find it hard to believe that you are ignored by even one person. More likely people tend to forget stuff they read. Distractions and attention deficit and all that.

johnm33

« Reply #177 on: June 27, 2018, 12:05:52 AM »
"Tor, I find it hard to believe that you are ignored by even one person." 100% agree
Why would you care? your never rude irrelevent or too far off topic, sod 'em. On the other hand there's infinite varieties of understanding and sometimes if people are thinking within a frame of reference and your answer is outside of it it will sail straight past them and they'll provide an answer from theirs.

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 99
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #178 on: June 27, 2018, 02:05:07 AM »
what's the point in ignoring?
what's the result of the West ignoring the East?
what's the result of rich ignoring poor?
what's the result of man ignoring nature?
i ignore "Ignore List feature".

Pmt111500

« Reply #179 on: June 28, 2018, 05:00:19 AM »
what's the point in ignoring?
what's the result of the West ignoring the East?
what's the result of rich ignoring poor?
what's the result of man ignoring nature?
i ignore "Ignore List feature".
It's a fools errand to ignore poisons, but being aware of them doesn't always help.

Laura Derrick

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #180 on: July 21, 2018, 07:29:37 PM »
Neven, would you be willing to update the Arctic Mosaic link on the graphs page to point to the arctic mosaic on worldview?

Thanks!

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #181 on: July 22, 2018, 10:55:19 AM »
You're right, Laura, the Arctic Mosaic has been discontinued. I've put the link to Worldview at the top of the ASIG front page references, and it should take you directly to a view of the Arctic (let me know if it doesn't work).
The enemy is within

E. Smith

Laura Derrick

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #182 on: July 22, 2018, 04:57:38 PM »
You're right, Laura, the Arctic Mosaic has been discontinued. I've put the link to Worldview at the top of the ASIG front page references, and it should take you directly to a view of the Arctic (let me know if it doesn't work).

Perfect!

Rod

« Reply #183 on: September 02, 2018, 03:47:52 AM »

Indeed, it seems it has worked. I've blocked all activity from the 'the Rest' board. Sorry for not doing it earlier. I thought it couldn't been done, and it has taken me a while to start installing mods without asking DungeonMaster's permission. I'm afraid that I screw things up and have to bother him.

But this has worked so far.

I don't think this has worked.  A-Team was right.  Back in May he pointed out the divergence from science and towards politics.  That has always been the Achilles heel of climate science - politics should never be brought into climate science discussions.

I understand why you did it, to keep the trolls off the science threads.  However, what has happened is that the politics of this site have gotten too extreme, and anyone with a potential career in climate science would be committing career suicide to post here.

You seem to really like the political stuff.   I don't think you should stop those discussions, but move them to a different board.  Simply hiding them from the main page does not really do anything. 

I have really enjoyed this site over the years.  I'm new to posting here, so I don't blame you if you don't listen to my opinion.  I am posting this because it seems like people are not posting their opinions on the melting season thread this year as much as they use to. There are many people that I look forward to hearing from that are not posting at all.   

Part of that is the nature of the internet, but I think that part might also be because the forum has become too controversial. 

Anyway, I post this merely as a suggestion.  I really enjoy reading this forum.  I am just one person, but there might be others like me so i thought it was worth giving you my opinion. 

In any event, thank you very much Neven!   This forum has been great, and I appreciate all you have done to bring awareness to the situation with the arctic sea ice! 

Sleepy

• Nilas ice
  • Retired, again...
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 120
« Reply #184 on: September 02, 2018, 05:34:42 AM »
Is this better?
Omnia mirari, etiam tritissima.
-
Science is a jealous mistress and takes little account of a man's feelings.

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1046
« Reply #185 on: September 02, 2018, 06:12:47 AM »
Can "Policy and Solutions" group also be blocked from fromt page list of recent posts ?

sidd

Pmt111500

« Reply #186 on: September 02, 2018, 07:02:54 AM »
Is this better?

Ah, that's way better than a political Russia thread on a climate site. Usenet-groups come to mind...
If there would be a way to temporarily (automatically) lock the insult-infested flame war-threads for a period of week after 6-8 messages only from two posters,  this might help. Probably this would result to some having two nicknames, the other used to throw in coup-de-grace on a thread that has become too personal.

People can be quite stubborn and quibble 40 pages over a meaning of a phrase.

Another potentially helpful solution could be to eliminate 'new message' notifications from a user that makes over 5 messages/day.  Maybe this could help people to be more concise in their posts and not hide a provocative argument and it's opposite to a long post. This is then used as a leverage point to 'win' an argument.

Third way to restrict clutter might be to restrict the lenght of the posts themselves, say posts over 209 words would not be accepted at all. Too long/didn't publish -policy might lead to a series of posts from users that are incapable of being concise and getting fast to their point, in this case the above 6-8 messages rule would be enforced.

Anyway,  this would require quite a lot of filters to the forum system so I doubt the benefits would be enough. And some might say it's cencorship to limit the lenght of posts. No, it's not.

That being said, does someone know a discussion forum for climate science that does include a 'solutions to climate change'-area, and that won't go into politics of electric companies?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 07:08:19 AM by Pmt111500 »

Pmt111500

« Reply #187 on: September 02, 2018, 07:17:23 AM »
Checking the new messages window, the above policy would only have eliminated the 'phrase war' between Ned W and AbruptSLR, or if their posts bring some new info to the thread, I don't want to read about it. And I specially don't want to figure out who of them is holding the ball more. TL/DR.

Maybe I should look for a forum, that is very tightly moderated to allow only messages that promote the necessary changes to disrupt the Sea Level Rise of 20m.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 07:45:39 AM by Pmt111500 »

Ned W

« Reply #188 on: September 02, 2018, 02:46:30 PM »
I don't think this has worked.  A-Team was right.  Back in May he pointed out the divergence from science and towards politics.  That has always been the Achilles heel of climate science - politics should never be brought into climate science discussions.

I think it's remarkable that ASIF has done so well for so long.  A lot of php forums like this have seen declining participation over the past six years, as people migrate over to other social media-based platforms.

That said, there does seem to be increasing disagreement about what people want out of ASIF.  Things have diverged so far now that it's probably impossible to keep everyone happy.  So the forum will naturally evolve in some direction.  Human nature being what it is, that direction will probably be towards more rather than less politics.

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: September 02, 2018, 05:03:05 PM »
You seem to really like the political stuff. I don't think you should stop those discussions, but move them to a different board. Simply hiding them from the main page does not really do anything.

I have really enjoyed this site over the years. I'm new to posting here, so I don't blame you if you don't listen to my opinion. I am posting this because it seems like people are not posting their opinions on the melting season thread this year as much as they use to. There are many people that I look forward to hearing from that are not posting at all.

Part of that is the nature of the internet, but I think that part might also be because the forum has become too controversial.

Anyway, I post this merely as a suggestion. I really enjoy reading this forum. I am just one person, but there might be others like me so i thought it was worth giving you my opinion.

In any event, thank you very much Neven! This forum has been great, and I appreciate all you have done to bring awareness to the situation with the arctic sea ice!
Hear hear! The level of conflict and sharp tones on the forum's various threads is steadily increasing. Beside the general effect of the Trump era, I think this has to do with the proliferation of the political threads, with the endless personal feuds they are engendering, plus the attraction they present to more political-minded folks who join the forum, are used to posting without data backup, enjoy the "hard punches" and tend to scare away or shut up the more reticent types, or otherwise they turn threads to slinging matches.
Currently this is happening mostly in policy and consequences, as the ice threads are more strongly moderated and possibly less controversial or less interesting to would-be troublemakers.

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 02, 2018, 05:25:44 PM »

I think it's remarkable that ASIF has done so well for so long.  A lot of php forums like this have seen declining participation over the past six years, as people migrate over to other social media-based platforms.

That said, there does seem to be increasing disagreement about what people want out of ASIF.  Things have diverged so far now that it's probably impossible to keep everyone happy.  So the forum will naturally evolve in some direction.  Human nature being what it is, that direction will probably be towards more rather than less politics.

I worked in Public Finance for many years. The technical guys wanted the data to do the talking, and politicians to follow the data in decision-making.

Fat chance. It did not take long for demands to me to fit the data to the desired political conclusion to arrive - officially or through other means.

It is the same with climate science - the demand to either preach Armageddon or to soften the message gets stronger every year - reflecting current political polarisation in the USA, Europe, and probably just about everywhere.

I am retired - I have the luxury of being able to follow the data and come to conclusions based on that data. And modify those conclusions or completely change my mind when new data arrives (as it always does). And those who make demands that the data follows a particular person's or political party's ideology can put their demands where the sun don't shine.

Most of us, though, still have "skin in the game " (yuk expression). I am so glad I do not.

aperson

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 100
  • Likes Given: 131
« Reply #191 on: November 18, 2018, 01:24:34 AM »
I wish I could spend likes to force another user to cite their claim or make a falsifiable prediction. If they don't provide, they get banned 1 day for every like I spent.
computer janitor by trade

Ned W

« Reply #192 on: December 03, 2018, 02:20:44 PM »
I just poked my head into the "Near Term Human Extinction" thread, which was probably a mistake, but whatever.  That thread is astonishingly toxic and hideous. 

Is this really what people want from ASIF?

HapHazard

• Grease ice
  • Chillin' on Cold Mountain.
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 284
  • Likes Given: 5233
« Reply #193 on: December 03, 2018, 10:02:27 PM »

I would hope not - but those toxic posters may disagree.

I dislike the minefield this place is turning into. But hey I'm just a longtime lurker.
If I call you out but go no further, the reason is Brandolini's law.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #194 on: December 03, 2018, 11:01:49 PM »

Different people want different things. The primary reason for starting this forum was to divert off-topic discussions from the blog. It has fulfilled this function so far. Other than that, it's a forum just like any other forum.
The enemy is within

E. Smith

Pmt111500

« Reply #195 on: December 04, 2018, 06:30:43 AM »
I just poked my head into the "Near Term Human Extinction" thread, which was probably a mistake, but whatever.  That thread is astonishingly toxic and hideous. 

in this case, this one
- https://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php/topic,1428.msg182903.html#msg182903

Hah, bbr might have gotten himself to a potential terrorist list with that one. Free thinking extremist. Is he from Canada? Everyone knows Canada hosts hordes of extremists stuck on cold war.

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 16, 2018, 11:23:32 PM »
Perhaps the Holocene Extinction thread postings need exclusion from the Unread Posts page.

If I had seen the "unread posts" page as it is at this moment on my first peek at this forum, I might have run away, even though I occasionally put in my pennyworth of comment.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #197 on: December 16, 2018, 11:37:39 PM »
You're absolutely right! Sorry for not thinking of this myself.  :-[
The enemy is within

E. Smith

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: December 16, 2018, 11:50:46 PM »
You're absolutely right! Sorry for not thinking of this myself.  :-[
Once upon a time when someone said I was right, my chest puffed up with pride.
Now, I just get confused.

Ageing is weird.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #199 on: December 16, 2018, 11:57:37 PM »
You're absolutely wrong!

Did that help?  ;)
The enemy is within