Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Suggestions  (Read 161255 times)

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1337
  • Likes Given: 618
Re: Suggestions
« Reply #300 on: September 15, 2019, 09:41:13 PM »
The current problem is with mp4 files. Although they require a click to play they still load into the browser. If DM or Neven can disable this autoloading and just load a thumbnail it would fix everything.

I thought mp4 files were ideal because they don't play automatically. Hmmm, there doesn't seem to be a setting I can tweak in the SMF Mod that is enabling videos to be played on the forum.
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

NevB

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 82
  • Likes Given: 573
« Reply #301 on: February 21, 2020, 01:42:57 PM »
Neven Whatever you did to remove the corona virus thread from the recent posts was a good idea.

This is a good, informative and useful thread but I agree shouldn't be a highlight of the forum.
Your exceptional judgement in these areas is what makes this place so successful.

I just thought some positive feedback would be helpful.

ShortBrutishNasty

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 34
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #302 on: February 21, 2020, 06:31:54 PM »
THE NEVEN-ATOR!!!!

On killing corona thread:

MONSTER THANKS!!!!
Thomas Hobbes , English philosopher 1588-1679

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #303 on: February 23, 2020, 10:09:56 PM »
Neven Whatever you did to remove the corona virus thread from the recent posts was a good idea.

This is a good, informative and useful thread but I agree shouldn't be a highlight of the forum.
Your exceptional judgement in these areas is what makes this place so successful.

Thanks a lot. I was late in noticing that 'corona virus' showed up a bit much in the recent posts list.
The enemy is within

E. Smith

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5308
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #304 on: March 01, 2020, 11:16:44 AM »

Thanks a lot. I was late in noticing that 'corona virus' showed up a bit much in the recent posts list.
Hi Neven,

Please, please, please can you do the same for Global Recession ?

Yours 'umbly,

Gerontocrat.
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

etienne

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • About energy
  • Liked: 309
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #305 on: March 29, 2020, 11:01:01 AM »
Hello Neven,

Wouldn't it be an Idea to create a new section Forum>>Off-topic>>Coronavirus and to put there all the related topics (masks, Covid-19, Global recession...)

Regards,

Etienne

blumenkraft

« Reply #306 on: March 29, 2020, 11:08:39 AM »
Etienne, there are threads for "global recession" and "masks" already.

I would like to see separate threads for "Covid-19 trivia" and "science" too, but i really can't imagine people obeying thread discipline. You would have it all mixed up and the separation would be obsolete.

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #307 on: March 29, 2020, 11:21:33 AM »
I think he just means put C-19 threads in a separate sub-forum.
That would be up tp Neven.

etienne

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • About energy
« Reply #308 on: March 29, 2020, 04:27:26 PM »
I think he just means put C-19 threads in a separate sub-forum.
That would be up tp Neven.
Yes, that's what I meant. I'd prefer to have everything in one place.

blumenkraft

« Reply #309 on: March 29, 2020, 04:54:08 PM »
Oh ok. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #310 on: March 29, 2020, 06:14:20 PM »
Hello Neven,

Wouldn't it be an Idea to create a new section Forum>>Off-topic>>Coronavirus and to put there all the related topics (masks, Covid-19, Global recession...)

Regards,

Etienne

I thought about this a few days ago. Even though COVID-19 isn't a consequence of AGW, I still decided to keep it in that section, because, like AGW, it's a consequence of our current global system. For the same reason I put the 'Lessons from COVID-19' thread in the 'policy and solutions' section, because the policies and solutions to this pandemic overlap with those for AGW (I would even argue they have the same prerequisites, ie conditions in which those policies and solutions would have a chance of working).

The mask stuff is pretty much off-topic everywhere, and hence fits best in 'the rest'. I've always considered 'the rest' to be the off-topic section.
The enemy is within

E. Smith

gandul

« Reply #311 on: March 29, 2020, 11:44:26 PM »
The mask stuff is pretty much off-topic everywhere, and hence fits best in 'the rest'. I've always considered 'the rest' to be the off-topic section.

Whatever, it’s your Forum.

For the record, you are wrong, super on-topic, all people masked is the only strategy that, eventually, can put people back in the streets while keeping COVID contagion rate manageable. The opposite is anti-scientific thought.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #312 on: March 30, 2020, 12:16:15 PM »
I can't be wrong, as I don't have an opinion on whether people should wear masks or not. I just have an opinion on whether that discussion should take place in the COVID-19 thread, especially if it involves endless vitriol.

But I'm wrong on many other things, of course.
The enemy is within

E. Smith

gandul

« Reply #313 on: March 30, 2020, 07:39:52 PM »
I can't be wrong, as I don't have an opinion on whether people should wear masks or not. I just have an opinion on whether that discussion should take place in the COVID-19 thread, especially if it involves endless vitriol.

But I'm wrong on many other things, of course.

OK I understand. I think there is less vitriol now that the third stage is being entered on that matter, see below. But if that's the case, there will be less reasons to discuss I guess. So nevermind.

blumenkraft

« Reply #314 on: April 30, 2020, 10:16:45 PM »
Sci-Hub Now!

Free access to academic papers with just a single click!

Abolish publishers, long live the open access movement!

In memory of Aaron Swartz...

Mozilla Add-on >> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/sci-hub-now/
Chrome Web Store >> https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/sci-hub-now/jnlldhggdfnbabnjbgahoabglgmjbhdl

Freegrass

• Young ice
  • Autodidacticism is a complicated word
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 960
  • Likes Given: 1262
« Reply #315 on: May 08, 2020, 10:49:14 PM »
F. Tnioli, a gentle warning: I will not tolerate hints of lies, conspiracies and the like on this thread. I've requested that DMI volume discussions take place in the appropriate thread.
May I suggest moving and deleting off-topic messages immediately, because people don't seem to learn on the melting thread.
90% of the world is religious, but somehow "love thy neighbour" became "fuck thy neighbours", if they don't agree with your point of view.

WTF happened?

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3589
  • Likes Given: 3943
« Reply #316 on: May 09, 2020, 01:22:19 AM »
Noted. I use discretion as sometimes posts are a mix of valuable and OT stuff. In addition, there is no option to simply move a message to another existing thread, this would have been very useful, especially on occasions when my time is limited and/or I use my mobile which makes copying and editing a real pain.

HapHazard

• Grease ice
  • Chillin' on Cold Mountain.
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 284
  • Likes Given: 5257
« Reply #317 on: May 09, 2020, 08:59:05 AM »
I enjoy the melting season thread much more when the drama queens don't post dramatically, and they instead use common sense and heed the mods.

Oren, you're awesome.  8)

That is all, carry on.
If I call you out but go no further, the reason is Brandolini's law.

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: May 13, 2020, 10:27:29 AM »
More announcement than suggestion, but I have bolded (made sticky) several important threads in the Cryosphere section to help people navigate, especially beginnners. If anyone is bothered by this change please let me know the reason.

bluice

« Reply #319 on: May 13, 2020, 04:00:11 PM »
Good move, Oren, highly appreciated.

Btw do we have something like Satellite Resources 101 thread for beginners? Would be helpful to have some advise where to start

SteveMDFP

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 594
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #320 on: May 13, 2020, 04:38:09 PM »
Good move, Oren, highly appreciated.

Btw do we have something like Satellite Resources 101 thread for beginners? Would be helpful to have some advise where to start

This is actually a great idea, but a substantial task of labor.  I remember when I first came across this site, being bewildered by discussions of what satellites were using what instruments to compile whichever data.  So many acronyms, and a simple glossary of acronyms barely scratches the surface.

It does go a bit beyond satellites.  Understanding the data derived from the various buoys is similarly daunting.  Interpreting thermistor strings and depth/temp/salinity profiles is also a bit challenging.

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: May 13, 2020, 05:26:45 PM »
A thread with links to the various satellite image resources with links that can be bookmarked would be a wonderful idea. It can be opened in Arctic Background next to the Arctic Maps thread.

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2053
  • Likes Given: 1991
« Reply #322 on: May 13, 2020, 11:26:46 PM »
But adding the descriptions of which type of measurements they make for which products on at least a basic level should be there too. Or you could have a products list and go to the input from there. This would be a good resource.
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

etienne

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • About energy
« Reply #323 on: July 02, 2020, 02:43:00 PM »
Would it be possible to put all the COVID tread on one single place ? I find it quite problematic to have them in different parts of the forum.

Treads also have to be renamed if the subject changes. There is no reason to talk about air flow in a mask tread.

Thanks,

Etienne

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2053
  • Likes Given: 1991
« Reply #324 on: July 02, 2020, 03:23:04 PM »
The renaming can be done later. Basically they are combined for a practical reason. The masks discussion was moved from the main thread because it detracted from the data.

The air flow claim is very debatable and it does not relate to policies that much so it also detracts and the discussion goes elsewhere. In this case it was suggested by members and it was actually moved over as you could read in the replies above.

As to moving the threads to one place. A case could be made that Covid is not AGWiG. So then you could move them to The Rest. (And Consequences from using Plastics from The Rest should then go into Consequences).

And a case could be made that our performance on Covid might tell us a lot about the way we will solve global warming.

And there are some different reading preferences related to subforums although i just read it all so i don´t know how important that is (if you only read The Cryosphere you are not even going to see the Covid thread).

Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

SimonF92

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 210
  • Likes Given: 87
« Reply #325 on: July 08, 2020, 12:34:55 PM »
A group of "trusted individuals" who approve posts on the main melting thread. Plural because it would be a fair amount of work for just one person.

No posts approved unless they contain either real data or reasonable conjecture.

Lately I dont come on the melting thread due to the signal-to-noise ratio. I decided to pay a visit and once again there are arguments surrounding hyperbole. I love this forum and the efforts people go to to maintain it, but I can name a few people (different each year) who ruin those threads.
Bunch of small python Arctic Apps:
https://github.com/SimonF92/Arctic

blumenkraft

« Reply #326 on: July 08, 2020, 01:14:07 PM »
Simon, how are your PHP skills? Wanna update the forum software? ;)

SimonF92

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 210
  • Likes Given: 87
« Reply #327 on: July 08, 2020, 01:32:06 PM »
Simon, how are your PHP skills? Wanna update the forum software? ;)

point taken blumenkraft  :-X!
Bunch of small python Arctic Apps:
https://github.com/SimonF92/Arctic

blumenkraft

« Reply #328 on: July 08, 2020, 01:33:40 PM »
 ;D ;)

GoSouthYoungins

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 150
  • Likes Given: 109
« Reply #329 on: July 21, 2020, 12:03:23 AM »
remove blum as a mod.
big time oops

HapHazard

• Grease ice
  • Chillin' on Cold Mountain.
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 284
  • Likes Given: 5257
« Reply #330 on: July 21, 2020, 12:47:04 PM »
Put an age limit on the forum. Must be over 10 to post. Then posts like the one above wouldn't happen.
If I call you out but go no further, the reason is Brandolini's law.

bbr2315

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 73
  • Likes Given: 77
« Reply #331 on: July 21, 2020, 11:11:15 PM »
remove blum as a mod.
strongly agree

no point in this post remaining hidden .. my reply to them all is below .. b.c.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 02:32:13 AM by be cause »

gandul

« Reply #332 on: July 21, 2020, 11:21:48 PM »

gandul

« Reply #333 on: July 21, 2020, 11:27:36 PM »
Suggestion: don’t delete posts. It’s a practice that reminds me equal to the Gestapo or the Stasi censoring and rewriting history.
That you delete posts, if you continue, is something it will end with this forum. Go on, authoritarians, continue with that practice, and no one will want to post here.

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1017
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #334 on: July 22, 2020, 02:28:48 AM »
Put an age limit on the forum. Must be over 10 to post. Then posts like the one above wouldn't happen.

.. that's me in trouble .. b.c.

b b but Gandul , GSY and bbr .. is this not too interesting a time to be wasting your (and our) time trying to get booted out ? I appreciate your posts and the forum would be the less for you all being gone . But we would soon move on .. and so will all the excitement you could no longer share your perspectives on .. the choice is still yours ..
There is no death , the Son of God is We .

GoSouthYoungins

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: July 22, 2020, 02:34:38 AM »
How many mods, in the history of this forum, have had three fairly regular posters lobbying for their removal?
big time oops

GoSouthYoungins

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: July 22, 2020, 02:36:07 AM »
...is this not too interesting a time to be wasting your (and our) time trying to get booted out ?

we are not actively seeking to get booted. we just don't want crazy mods calling ppl racists for no reason.
big time oops

bbr2315

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 73
  • Likes Given: 77
« Reply #337 on: July 22, 2020, 02:48:53 AM »

.. that's me in trouble .. b.c.

b b but Gandul , GSY and bbr .. is this not too interesting a time to be wasting your (and our) time trying to get booted out ? I appreciate your posts and the forum would be the less for you all being gone . But we would soon move on .. and so will all the excitement you could no longer share your perspectives on .. the choice is still yours ..
my sharing has already been restricted to whatever oren deems fit, meanwhile, weatherdude88 is allowed to post unfettered. not only that, my contribution against his BS was deleted, lol.  the leftist mod team here is a bit Nazi-esque if you ask me and there is a reason the content is now vox_mundi reblogs from hive-mind media & gerontocrat's charts of old data instead of original thought.

it is so ironic that at "too interesting a time" the ASIF has been crippled by ideological moderators whose leftist groupthink leaves them unable to recognize denier threats / disruptions in the main forum, hence why Phoenix ran rampant and why wxdude88 is allowed to do so as well.

so why would i be upset if i do get banned from a forum where "too interesting a time" with a lead 850K above 2012's at this time is still subject to denier chatter in the main melt thread while my posts are censored?

ajouis

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 55
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #338 on: July 22, 2020, 03:15:12 AM »
Maybe that’s more relevant here instead where I posted it, of forum decorum
would mods consider an unmodded subsection to corral all the drama in a rarely visited cesspool?
Also maybe crowdsourced fact lists on certain topics to put people up to speed/ to weed out deniers from newbies (mechanisms of melt, weather, models, effects are possible examples)?
After a thousand steps on the ice, it cracked.
The Man looked down at the infinite blue of the sea.
On the horizon, standing still, the polar bear had just scented his next meal.

Less than 3000 cubic kilometers this Piomas minimum.

blumenkraft

« Reply #339 on: July 22, 2020, 08:35:15 AM »
How many mods, in the history of this forum, have had three fairly regular posters lobbying for their removal?

It is funny that those people were banned or put on moderation before. Even before the new mod team even was a thing. Maybe you are the ghost drivers? Just a thought.

However, since people are starting to complain about you guys i have to act on that.

Your notion to remove me as a mod is noted. But for now, i am a moderator and i will keep doing my job. This means i will delete posts i see fit for deletion.

If you guys are so very unsatisfied with the things they are, you are free to leave.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 11:24:22 AM by blumenkraft »

greylib

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 86
  • Likes Given: 184
« Reply #340 on: July 22, 2020, 11:19:06 AM »
You're implying that there's a large groundswell of opinion against Blumenkraft. Since this is the Suggestions thread, I'd suggest that you start a poll on the subject. You might be surprised.

When Blum put himself forward as a moderator, I voiced an objection. Great as a forum member, I said, but too "headstrong and passionate". He still jumps in unwisely (imho) - for instance in the Friv/Friz "racism" debate, but mostly he's doing a very good job. I'd certainly vote to keep him on.
Step by step, moment by moment
We live through another day.

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: July 22, 2020, 11:28:10 AM »
it is so ironic that at "too interesting a time" the ASIF has been crippled by ideological moderators whose leftist groupthink leaves them unable to recognize denier threats / disruptions in the main forum, hence why Phoenix ran rampant and why wxdude88 is allowed to do so as well.
Bbr, please note that Phoenix was put on moderation and then (mercifully) deleted his account, so he was only running rampant with his per theories for a time until me the inexperienced moderator sat on his tail.
As for weatherdude, he is posting data and facts, though with a very certain cherry-picking twist. I have removed comments that simply called him a denier, as that is inaccurate and outside forum decorum IMHO, but I have kept comments finding the holes in his cherries. If he continues to cherry pick blatantly I will moderate him, but I feel that has not happened yet.
I invite you and all other posters to use "report to moderator" when you find his posts to be blatant cherry picks or straight denialism, but please state a reason in the report. The more reports I get and the more posters reporting, the earlier I will act.

blumenkraft

« Reply #342 on: July 22, 2020, 11:30:16 AM »
I'd suggest that you start a poll on the subject.

I support this idea. If the community votes to remove me as a mod, i will step down.

I'd certainly vote to keep him on.

I really appreciate that, Greylib. Thank you, from the bottom of my heart.

greylib

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 86
  • Likes Given: 184
« Reply #343 on: July 22, 2020, 01:39:47 PM »
I really appreciate that, Greylib. Thank you, from the bottom of my heart.
That's the difference between me and the guys that are giving the mod team a hard time at the moment. I'm willing to admit when I've got it wrong. They aren't. All they can do is double down on the abuse. Sad.
Step by step, moment by moment
We live through another day.

gandul

« Reply #344 on: July 22, 2020, 01:50:10 PM »
<More of the same rambling you expressed before. Removed! - BK>
And you respond as expected, Bolsonaro style.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 06:47:14 PM by gandul »

SteveMDFP

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 594
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #345 on: July 22, 2020, 04:11:50 PM »
I'd certainly vote to keep him on.

Ditto.

Some posts should be removed.  We depend on mods to exercise their judgment.  Folks who object can set up their own forums. 

ajouis

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: July 22, 2020, 05:52:17 PM »
Steve I mostly agree, but we should aim to be inclusive, and moderation shouldn’t be too heavy because it stifles reasonable debate (though it hasn’t happened here yet) and creates unnecessary drama, which is why I think we should have an unmodded section for the trolls and ranters to congregate, a sacrificial subsection if you will to avoid corrosion everywhere else, just a thought

blumenkraft

« Reply #347 on: July 22, 2020, 05:55:42 PM »
Ajouis, how do you think about making the 'Foul Language Thread' an unmodded area?

I think no one would have a problem with that?

ajouis

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: July 22, 2020, 06:25:02 PM »
Sounds like a good idea, especially if pointed to the few individuals who have current grievances on the moderation. I think that should be consulted with the other mods.

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: July 22, 2020, 07:47:25 PM »
I've no problem with the suggestion but I doubt it will solve the problem. When people get on their high horse it's hard to get them off it. And what goes in the unmodded section will not stay in the unmodded section, tempers will flare and we will see the results elsewhere.
In any case, the foul language thread is unmodded already.