Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Suggestions  (Read 159368 times)

ajouis

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 55
  • Likes Given: 34
Re: Suggestions
« Reply #350 on: July 22, 2020, 08:16:55 PM »
I don’t know what will happen either Oren, but they keep contesting the mods authority, so I think letting them see what happens without any could be a learning experience, I mean Neven could straight up ban them but I am quite against the idea to be honest, on the other hand they are starting to question everything blumenkraft does which is not acceptable either
After a thousand steps on the ice, it cracked.
The Man looked down at the infinite blue of the sea.
On the horizon, standing still, the polar bear had just scented his next meal.

Less than 3000 cubic kilometers this Piomas minimum.

HapHazard

• Grease ice
  • Chillin' on Cold Mountain.
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 284
  • Likes Given: 5241
« Reply #351 on: July 22, 2020, 08:58:40 PM »
As a former Admin myself, I'd just post-ban the lot of 'em. Petulant little children that they are. They're doing the internet equivalent of throwing a temper tantrum in the cereal aisle.
If I call you out but go no further, the reason is Brandolini's law.

gandul

« Reply #352 on: July 27, 2020, 10:44:55 PM »
I don’t know what will happen either Oren, but they keep contesting the mods authority, so I think letting them see what happens without any could be a learning experience, I mean Neven could straight up ban them but I am quite against the idea to be honest, on the other hand they are starting to question everything blumenkraft does which is not acceptable either
Yes I concurred with the suggestion of removing BK as moderator. He's very impulsive, easily triggered and easily triggering, makes very incorrect responses as the recent Friz episode, and is very biased, admitting that he uses it for moderation. He's very authoritarian too.
Call it a tantrum, whatever, that guy cannot moderate as he lacks moderation.
I continue supporting the suggestion.

gandul

« Reply #353 on: July 27, 2020, 10:47:29 PM »
As a former Admin myself, I'd just post-ban the lot of 'em. Petulant little children that they are. They're doing the internet equivalent of throwing a temper tantrum in the cereal aisle.
I suggest moderating condescending paternalistic comments void of content as the one above.

igs

« Reply #354 on: July 27, 2020, 11:55:00 PM »
I observed that some users here have a statistic that goes about like this:

40% of the posts without contributing content on any topic but acclaiming a small group after first checking from which direction the wind blows.

40% bashing others but again only after waiting for a few posts to be sure from which
direction the wind blows to make certain to be in the right slot of the "winners"

20% post on a topic, mostly without big value that might not matter but still

So the acclaimed few will of course not complain about this and the others that are and were
bashed of course can't do a lot because they're in the  group of the losers.

It would be interesting to see someone sharpening his sensors to such intrigant behaviour, not that I expect to get far with this wish/suggestion, it's just that for me intrigant pharisees are one of the worst. I prefer people who are wrong or complicated but with an honest point to make that eventually can be proven right or wrong.

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5289
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #355 on: August 19, 2020, 01:39:11 PM »
It is always better to wash one's dirty linen in private. As has been said already, any visitor reading the forum decorum thread would be likely to think - what the shit is all this?.

& don't be surprised if some of that stuff ends up quoted on an unfriendly website. There are, I am sure, not a few who would love to see the ASIF wounded or even destroyed.

So, is there any way a thread can be locked to restrict access to registered members only ?

It is is possible, I would do the same for the covid-19 thread, and probably as the US election gets near, a lot of the politics stuff. (& maybe the suggestions thread as well).

"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

johnm33

« Reply #356 on: August 19, 2020, 01:47:11 PM »
Amen to that.
On another tangent altogether, would one of 'our' fine graph makers consider doing an 11 year running average 0-0 5-5 inc. on some of the stats? they're all starting to look very busy and difficult to interpret.

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2041
  • Likes Given: 1986
« Reply #357 on: August 19, 2020, 02:18:42 PM »
Which stats?
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1047
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #358 on: August 19, 2020, 09:49:42 PM »
"not a few who would love to see the ASIF wounded or even destroyed."

Who and why ? Any evidence for this ?

sidd

HapHazard

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: August 19, 2020, 10:11:27 PM »
I doubt we could get definitive proof for that, either way. But bad actors sowing discord/misinfo/etc. on websites (in our case here, it would be AGW deniers & that sort of angle) is a reality that we are all faced with most everywhere online, it's becoming more common, and these people are continually improving their "craft" (AKA blending in). Plenty of info on this stuff if one wants to google around.

Here? Who knows. Personally, I wouldn't be surprised either way.

bbr2315

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 73
  • Likes Given: 77
« Reply #360 on: August 19, 2020, 10:19:43 PM »
I doubt we could get definitive proof for that, either way. But bad actors sowing discord/misinfo/etc. on websites (in our case here, it would be AGW deniers & that sort of angle) is a reality that we are all faced with most everywhere online, it's becoming more common, and these people are continually improving their "craft" (AKA blending in). Plenty of info on this stuff if one wants to google around.

Here? Who knows. Personally, I wouldn't be surprised either way.
Why mince words when you can just come out and say it: these malicious accounts are clearly Hillary Clinton in disguise.

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: August 19, 2020, 10:44:54 PM »

sidd
No, I cannot give you chapter and verse. But I spent many years in many countries collecting and analysing data from multiple sources and making connections. We know..

- the ASIF is bombarded by bots. We don't know, but Neven and the Dungeon Master do, how many were malicious.

- Ask the mods and Neven about how many deniers get blocked from getting on the forum. And how many got through. Hence the much stricter screening of applicants.

- & haven't you noticed there is a well-funded denial industry out there. The BBC did a series of radio4 programmes on how the fossil fuel industry has used the Tobacco Playbook to undermine the acceptance of AGW by the public, and how widespread their network is. This industry is extremely well-funded, extremely well-managed with well-defined objectives. A major strategy is destroying the reputation of individuals and organisations.

Although the ASIF does not campaign - others do use the info we collect**, much of which is high quality.. This leads me to conclude that that makes us somewhere between a nuisance and a threat.

So Sidd, no certainties but enough to convince me

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1012
  • Likes Given: 1034
« Reply #362 on: August 20, 2020, 12:36:56 AM »

sidd

there's probably a watts' app for that .. b.c.
Conflict is the root of all evil , for being blind it does not see whom it attacks . Yet it always attacks the Son Of God , and the Son of God is you .

KiwiGriff

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 710
  • Likes Given: 372
« Reply #363 on: August 20, 2020, 03:51:35 AM »
Usefull idiots .
I have not seen any evidences of that we have paid disinformers operating on here.
We do have some useful idiots that repeat disinformation they get from other sources.
I would guess that sidd on here is also the sidd that comments on real climate.
Mack a usefull idiot  as recently   comments on real climate is getting his rubbish from sources known to be financed by the disinformation campaign.  As do the two deniers I have identified on here.
The Denial industry does  not necessary focus out right denial.
Instead it operates on FUD fear uncertainty and doubt. 
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 04:01:54 AM by KiwiGriff »
Animals can be driven crazy by placing too many in too small a pen. Homo sapiens is the only animal that voluntarily does this to himself.
Notebooks of Lazarus Long.
Robert Heinlein.

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: August 20, 2020, 09:56:41 AM »
The Denial industry does  not necessary focus out right denial.
Instead it operates on FUD fear uncertainty and doubt.
Exactly - straight from the latter stages of the Tobacco industry's playbook, developed & refined to make effective use of all the new social media platforms.

Aporia_filia

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 109
« Reply #365 on: August 20, 2020, 12:39:37 PM »
Remember where they were coming from...

kaixo

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 19
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #366 on: November 03, 2020, 08:32:28 PM »
Hello guys,
I recently got myself to analyse some trends in ASI volume growth. Now i am not a scientist but i think the results are interesting, though not world shaking. The problem is that it is quite a lot of text and graphs (4 pages in a Word doc, including 9 graphs). What to do with it? Post it in its entirety? In what thread?
Is someone interested in reading it first so to be able to suggest where and how to post or to delete it because it turns out to be utter folly? Would like to hear your suggestions.

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3584
  • Likes Given: 3922
« Reply #367 on: November 05, 2020, 03:49:46 AM »
Hello kaixo, I would be interested in seeing the results. if the analysis is of PIOMAS volume, it belongs in the PIOMAS thread. If you are unsure of the quality, you can post it in the season chatter and commentary thread, and if it "passes the test" it can always be posted in full or shortened form to the PIOMAS thread later.

kaixo

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 19
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #368 on: November 07, 2020, 09:14:36 PM »
Hi Oren,
Thank you for your reply. I have been distracted by the US elections these days, but all is well now ;) and I just posted my analysis in the chatter and commentary thread.

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1047
« Reply #369 on: January 01, 2021, 02:14:05 AM »
Is there any interest in a book discussion thread ? I wouldnt mind writing sometimes about books i am reading, although my time is limited. But i dont want to be the only one, speaking into the wind as it were.

For example i am reading Piketty's latest, "Capitalism and Ideology," (alas, in english translation, but i do know i must eventually read both his works on capitalism in the original french) and wouldnt mind discussing with others who have read those. Another good book i am (re)reading is "and forgive them their debts" by Hudson simultaneously with the king james old testament; i must say that Hudson has shown me a better understanding there.

sidd

zizek

« Reply #370 on: January 26, 2021, 07:21:36 PM »
Does deleting an account remove posts?

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2041
  • Likes Given: 1986
« Reply #371 on: January 27, 2021, 05:48:23 PM »
No because that would mess up historical threads.

Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

Ktb

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 158
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #372 on: February 19, 2021, 03:58:29 AM »
Where has the option to edit posts gone?

I can't seem to modify some of my older posts but have the option for this one.
And, given a story to enact in which the world is a foe to be conquered, they will conquer it like a foe, and one day, inevitably, their foe will lie bleeding to death at their feet, as the world is now.
- Ishmael

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: February 19, 2021, 09:38:19 AM »
At some point (maybe a year or two ago, can't remember) a 48-hour limit was introduced to editing posts, after some members deleted all their messages when deleting their account, leaving big holes in discussions. Also post editing long after the fact makes moderation harder.
If there is anything specific you want to edit or correct a typo or whatever, feel free to contact me and I can edit it (in the Cryo section), or the other moderators.

FrostKing70

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 50
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #374 on: August 05, 2021, 05:57:31 PM »
Can I suggest that we change the "MULTIPLE METERS SEA LEVEL..." Topic title to get rid of all caps?

A simple request:  Could we get rid of the ALL CAPITAL portion of the thread title?  It makes thsi topic appear more critical than all others...

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #375 on: August 09, 2021, 08:34:18 PM »
Good suggestion - done.

Diaminedave

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 11
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #376 on: October 07, 2021, 01:40:39 PM »
Any chance of getting a log in button/link at bottom of page...I have no idea how easy/difficult that is
All the best
Dave

interstitial

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 567
  • Likes Given: 96
« Reply #377 on: February 04, 2022, 11:30:01 PM »
Does Larsen C really need a separate thread? Is there so much activity on the thread that  conversations get lost. I don't think so. I think in general that broader thread topics keep discussions alive while miniscule topics are constantly recreated as no one remembers them later anyway.  I would prefer to see thread topics managed by the moderators and if someone wants a new topic they can request it. If an earthquake happens somewhere or a new idea comes up we end up with a new thread but most often the topic fits in a more general place just fine. At first we had one Covid thread which made sense but then comments were added so quickly it became hard to follow so it was split. Something similar happened with electric cars. In general new threads should appear because the conversation becomes so active that the conversations overlap too much making them hard to follow, not just because someone can think of a new category. Most ice shelves are not active enough to justify a separate thread.

NeilT

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 386
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #378 on: July 12, 2022, 08:12:02 PM »
Any chance of getting the mod to auto embed tweets?

Just like the youtube embed, it would allow us to embed tweets which have video/etc, direct simply by entering the URL.

https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=532277.0
Being right too soon is socially unacceptable.

Robert A. Heinlein

johnm33

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 127
  • Likes Given: 126
« Reply #379 on: September 25, 2022, 07:44:49 PM »
A sin bin for deleted posts so we all can know or ignore forum censorship standards.

NevB

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 82
  • Likes Given: 571
« Reply #380 on: June 15, 2023, 08:59:39 AM »
 I suggest renaming the Forum to Milliways, seems very appropriate to me

https://hitchhikers.fandom.com/wiki/Milliways

Human Habitat Index

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 51
  • Likes Given: 368
« Reply #381 on: June 23, 2023, 02:44:19 AM »
Wouldn't be great to have an AI Bot as a member. Imagine the contribution it can make.
There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance. That principle is contempt prior to investigation. - Herbert Spencer

NevB

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: June 23, 2023, 01:51:03 PM »
Wouldn't be great to have an AI Bot as a member. Imagine the contribution it can make.

That might be interesting, we see the questions and how competent it is.

I spent an hour or so trying ChatGPT, while there was some great answers there were also some simple mistakes. There's a lot of potential and it's probably a good idea to learn something about it.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2023, 02:00:53 PM by NevB »

HapHazard

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: June 23, 2023, 09:14:25 PM »
Nope, not yet. !remindme 5 years

NevB

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: June 29, 2023, 03:11:53 PM »
Nope, not yet. !remindme 5 years

Your probably right, I'll try to remember to remind you.