Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: The Climatic Effects of a Blue Ocean Event  (Read 5209 times)

Archimid

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 248
  • Likes Given: 174
Re: The Climatic Effects of a Blue Ocean Event
« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2019, 07:41:02 PM »
The following video posted by Jim Hunt at the Stupid Questions thread made it clear to me that the best way to determine how a BOE will affect the climate would be by looking at how the climate changed during Dansgaard–Oeschger Events (DOE) and try to extrapolate those changes to a modern day climate. 

Video: https://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php/topic,143.msg227842.html#msg227842

I have found what looks like a wonderful collection of links from samples of different types of proxies collected all over the planet at the bottom of the following page:

https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/abrupt-climate-change/Heinrich%20and%20Dansgaard%E2%80%93Oeschger%20Events

I think DOEs are a great analogues for BOEs but with key differences:

1. DOEs happened during the last ice age when the world was a much colder place. Max DOE temperatures didn't even reach holocene levels of warming, except perhaps the last one.

2. The arctic was meters thick and covered a larger portions of the North Atlantic, particularly along the the east coast of Greenland. A "sudden" loss of ice in that region could have reinforced whatever caused the loss of ice in the first place, creating DOE events.

3. Huge ice sheets covered the NH. It is these ice sheets what created the opposite of DOE, Heinrich events. Ice sheets also provided lower albedo and melt surface.

4. DOE events seem to be the result of astronomical events, local to the NH. The whole world was cold but the Arctic "warm", thus the world was helping restore the ice. The reason for today's BOE is the opposite, the world is getting warmer, pushing the Arctic into amplification mode.

5. There were few humans at the time. Any information about humans during that time would be welcomed, but I doubt it exists.

I'm randomly review some of the links above to see If I can learn more.

I am an energy reservoir seemingly intent on lowering entropy for self preservation.