Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Poll

When will an ice island completely (definitively) break from the Petermann Ice Shelf (including the mid-tongue crevasse)?

before poll closes (before ~ August 19, 2019, GMT)
1 (1.6%)
rest of August 2019
3 (4.9%)
September 1 - 15, 2019
5 (8.2%)
September 16 - 30, 2019
10 (16.4%)
October 2019
10 (16.4%)
November - December 2019
8 (13.1%)
January - March 2020
9 (14.8%)
April - June 2020
5 (8.2%)
July - August 2020
5 (8.2%)
after August 2020
5 (8.2%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Voting closed: August 19, 2019, 04:22:10 AM

Author Topic: Poll: Petermann Glacier's next major calving event  (Read 19945 times)

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 826
Poll: Petermann Glacier's next major calving event
« on: August 05, 2019, 04:22:10 AM »
Background:
Also, from the July 3 post:
Furthermore, a new sophisticated computer model of Petermann Gletscher reveals that the loss of this large “still attached” ice island is already gone from the glacier in terms of the friction that it provides along the sidewalls. Another way of putting this, all it takes is a little wiggle or bump and the separation will become visible. Dr. Martin Rueckamp just published this study in the Journal of Geophysical Research.
JGR link
My Petermann posts here and here show the mid-tongue (or mid-shelf or mid-glacier) lateral crevasse extending southwestward and crevasses extending from the SW edge extending into the tongue during the past year.  Thomas Barlow showed the mid-tongue crevasse definitively connected to a crevasse coming from the NE edge of the tongue (although it was apparent in January with other sensors).  Other posts in the Petermann thread show the various crevasses widening.

So, when will an ice island completely (definitively) break from the Petermann Ice Shelf at the mid-tongue crevasse?

A calving boundary that does not include the mid-tongue crevasse doesn't count.  By "definitive" I mean clear satellite imagery that shows a continuous crevasse between the shelf and the new ice island in the area southwest of the mid-tongue crevasse reaching the SW edge of the tongue.  (There is one already northeast of the mid-tongue crevasse.)

(Just in case there are any questions about where I mean, tomorrow I'll post an annotated image of the Petermann Ice Shelf.)

The less sure you are of when the event will happen the more bins you can choose, up to 3.  As it is all a guess (unless it cracks within a fortnight), we should all probably choose 3 bins! Votes can be changed.  Of course, kudos to the person who votes only one bin and correctly!  In case it breaks at a bin edge, time is GMT (with which some satellite images are tied).
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 05:37:40 PM by Tor Bejnar »
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
Re: Poll: Petermann Glacier's next major calving event
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2019, 05:26:33 PM »
Here is the promised map of the Petermann Glacier tongue and the general vicinity of where a crevasse must open to qualify for this poll.

Universal suffrage:  please vote!  (in up to 3 bins)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 05:38:01 PM by Tor Bejnar »
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

blumenkraft

Re: Petermann Glacier's next major calving event
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2019, 05:37:59 PM »
As mentioned in the Petermann thread, i think it's going to happen in winter.

There are holes and ponds with freezing and expanding water in winter. Perhaps this gives it the needed last push.

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2019, 08:20:10 PM »
Two frame GIF shows crevasses lengthening between May and August this year.  Sentinel-hub Playground images from May and August.  The apparent gap between growing crevasse ends decreased by around 1.0 - 1.5 km these past three months.  How long to crack the remaining 4 km of ice shelf?

Remember, you can vote in up to three bins if you are less sure or more tentative. 

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3584
  • Likes Given: 3922
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2019, 10:21:10 PM »
I voted for Jan-Aug 2020. Just a hunch. Petermann is a huge but slow beast.

petm

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 318
  • Likes Given: 27
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2019, 11:56:32 PM »
Well that's quite a glacier and quite a crack!

Probably way too optimistic (pessimistic?), but I chose the first 3 bins.

I really have no idea, but my reasoning is: The crack should grow faster now both due to a non-linear response of increased stress over a decreased remaining distance, and due to faster ice dynamics this time of year (exacerbated by the recent surge of heat into Greenland).

If I remember, I'll strategically shift my 'before end of poll' vote to the next bin just before the poll closes. ;)

By the way, Google Maps (satellite) has quite an interesting collage of Petermann (att).

Thomas Barlow

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2019, 02:56:47 PM »
I think will be stabilised a little in winter, and it is so slow to change, I put it at after August 2020, but what do I know.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 08:44:41 PM by Thomas Barlow »

FishOutofWater

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 696
  • Likes Given: 332
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2019, 03:05:27 AM »
I voted 3 bins October through March. The thick central area is going to take a little time to break through but it's going to happen inevitably.

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2019, 06:00:42 PM »
Here is a 4-frame GIF showing crevasse development from July 3 to August 12.  Click is required.

Sentinel-hub Playground images from July 3, July 18, August 1 and August 12.  First and last frames stay longer.  First frame has a green line just below the mid-glacier crevasse (only the SW end of the crevasse is showing) so you can find it.  Last frame has the end of this crevasse underlined in yellow; two red lines are beneath a streambed (not a crevasse); and a green line is just below the end of the longest crevasse coming from the southwest edge of the shelf (on the left side of the image).

This southwest-edge-of-the-shelf crevasse's ~200m growth appears to have all occurred between the first two frames (basically, the crevasse extension just above the green line).  The mid-glacier crevasse appears to have grown just over 1 km during this 6-week period.

500m scale in lower right corner is half obscured by frame date.  (Sorry about that.)

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2019, 04:23:28 AM »
As shown by the GIF Espen posted of the Ryder Glacier calving in 2016, a stretch of ice shelf can have no crack then both crack open and separate within a day.

Can someone who follows tidal forecasts report when the next high tide or two will occur at Petermann Glacier?  (I know actual tides have been measured there, but are there forecasts?)  My guess is a high tide or a cyclone nearby (with strong winds blowing down the fjord) will break the future ice island away from the remaining shelf.

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 420
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2019, 08:45:07 AM »
Full Moon at Petermann Gletscher today at 10.29 AM local (about 4 hours from now)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 09:32:48 AM by Espen »
Have a ice day!

johnm33

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2019, 10:13:54 AM »
I chose sept16-30, the frequent stops and starts of ice export in Fram suggest to me that the deep current of Atl. water from the north is balancing most of the demand of the gradient between the Arctic and Baffin. That current I'm guessing enters on the north side of Peterman and leaves on the south side, enhanced by the tides, so since I expect that current to warm until at least mid sept. the best chance of the island breaking free probably comes towards the end of sept as the tides peak.

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2019, 06:45:34 PM »
Looking 'closely' at the crevasse northeast of the lateral (transverse) crevasse (where the NE crevasse is about 535-540 meters wide) on August 1 and August 15 suggests it has widened about 5 meters during this fortnight.  GIF from Sentinel-hub Playground images from 2019-08-01 and 2019-08-15.  Shelf image has an oval in the area shown in the GIF.  The yellow line segments offer a reference point 'associated' with the crevasse edge (and are not intended to define either image's edge).

The images were juxtaposed to show the crevasse remaining in place.  The date blocks are fixed on the originals, and show this part of the tongue has moved about 70 meters during the two weeks between images.

Edit:  a day and a half to vote!  Remember, you can vote in up to 3 bins.  The more the merrier!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 06:50:50 PM by Tor Bejnar »

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2019, 04:29:46 PM »
Well, voting closed while I was busy elsewhere.  The Petermann Glacier is covered by clouds these past few days, so here is a Polar View image of the mid-tongue crevasse from yesterday.  (The mid-tongue transverse (lateral) crevasse is just above the added yellow line.)

No obvious crevasse between the transverse crevasse and the SW (left) margin of the tongue.

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2019, 05:47:12 AM »
We're into September and I don't see any crack creating this major calving event (today's Sentinel image).  What I 2-weeks ago identified as stream beds (underlined in red here) may be an extension of the mid-glacier transverse crevasse (as someone else has suggested).

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2019, 08:01:57 PM »
It's October 1 (or later, depending on your longitude) and the most recent image I find for the Petermann Glacial Tongue is from September 29th.  PolarView image screen print below.  No convincing evidence the crack connects to the SW edge of the tongue.  The timing of the 'expected' calving event continues to elude us.

nukefix

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 27
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2019, 10:14:02 AM »
It's October 1 (or later, depending on your longitude) and the most recent image I find for the Petermann Glacial Tongue is from September 29th.  PolarView image screen print below.  No convincing evidence the crack connects to the SW edge of the tongue.  The timing of the 'expected' calving event continues to elude us.
Now would be a good time to do InSAR-analysis of the tongue to see how far the crack really goes. It is not entirely straightforward since the tongue is moving between the image acquisitions. The data and tools to do it are free...if only I had the time..

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2019, 07:43:53 PM »
No change, per yesterday's PolarView image, although the circled area is suggestive (as it has been for a year).  I, too, desire the ability to do (or, really, have somebody else get all the glory and do it themselves) interferometry on Petermann's tongue.

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2019, 04:48:02 PM »
cross post:
Although I expected a real calving in 2019 which obvisously did not happen, the cracks at the port side of the glacier are still extending further towards each others.
The cracks are shown with a red 1. and 2.
Go to Espen's original for a GIF showing September 27 and October 21 (2019) changes in crack width or length.

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2019, 05:03:59 PM »
Per the votes above, some folks believe the 'real calving' could well still happen in 2019.

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2019, 02:42:25 PM »
Am I seeing something or just wishful thinking? PolarView image from November 6, 2019  (Okay, my lines could be a little bit better drawn, and there are other possible traces ... and there is a possible connection between the two segments ...)

blumenkraft

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2019, 08:03:44 PM »
Very nice and clear SAR came in yesterday.

What do you say, Tor? Seeing it still?

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2019, 11:36:03 PM »
When I view 'your' image at an angle (something I regularly do with sentinel images), I see different light pixel and dark pixel linearities crossing parts of the 'left' side of the tongue (where no known rift exists).  But I do not see what I previously saw (just above), if that's your question.

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2019, 09:11:46 PM »
I see nothing (as of December 4) on Polar View (today).
[Happy birthday, cousins!]

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2019, 07:45:04 PM »
Yesterday's Polar View image (2019-12-08) appears to show (at least to me) a near-continuous crack. Clicking on the 'still' shows it better, especially looking at the screen at an angle.

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2019, 10:08:41 PM »
A very 'good looking' PolarView image from 2019-12-14 shows nothing obvious.

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2020, 03:33:09 PM »
A look at a January 1, 2020 Polar View image shows no relevant crack.  However, a December 31 image delighted me with all sorts of lineations, a couple identified on the attached GIF (made using ezgif.com)! [click may be required.]

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2020, 06:22:56 PM »
And a January 7 PolarView image suggests a crack in a different place.  More of my imagination, likely.

blumenkraft

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2020, 06:38:45 PM »
Perhaps not this time. This doesn't look too much of an artefact to me.

That said, i just recently completely misinterpreted a 'crack' in a low-res SAR shot. They just invite to imagination...

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2020, 06:45:18 PM »
When will an ice island completely (definitively) break from the Petermann Ice Shelf (including the mid-tongue crevasse)?
What is the dividing line between ice island and ice berg?

blumenkraft

« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2020, 06:48:04 PM »
... and when is it an iceburg?

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5289
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2020, 06:59:43 PM »
... and when is it an iceburg?
The dictionaries define an ice island as a (very) large TABULAR piece of floating ice

Berg is a surname of North European origin. In several Germanic languages (e.g. German, Dutch, Norwegian, and Swedish (Danish: Bjerg)), the word means "mount", "mountain" or "cliff".

Thus iceberg is a lump of ice resembling a mountain, likely to have fallen off a glacier.

Burg | Definition of Burg by Merriam-Webster
https://www.merriam-webster.com › dictionary › burg
Definition of burg. 1 : an ancient or medieval fortress or walled town. 2 [German Burg] : city, town.

If you count lumps of ice with a colony of animals in residence (as does happen) then you can have iceburgs?

Neven, I didn't start this off-topic stuff, honest injun.
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

nanning

• Nilas ice
  • 0Kg CO₂, 37 KWh/wk,125L H₂O/wk, No offspring
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 273
  • Likes Given: 23170
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2020, 07:21:46 PM »
"injun" comes from indian
You didn't intend it that way but I think it is offensive. "An honest [north american] indian"
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/honest_injun#English
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly" - Bertrand Russell
"It is preoccupation with what other people from your groups think of you, that prevents you from living freely and nobly" - Nanning
Why do you keep accumulating stuff?

blumenkraft

« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2020, 07:58:07 PM »
If you count lumps of ice with a colony of animals in residence (as does happen) then you can have iceburgs?

So if it's a derivative from the German word 'Burg', then you'll get iceburgen. (singular=Burg, plural=Burgen)

'Burg' is connoted with words like 'massive', 'big', 'impressive'. And so, of course, is Berg (mountain).

nanning

• Nilas ice
  • 0Kg CO₂, 37 KWh/wk,125L H₂O/wk, No offspring
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 273
  • Likes Given: 23170
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2020, 06:34:28 AM »
Quote from: gerontocrat

If the animals are pigs, you have a Hamburg.
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly" - Bertrand Russell
"It is preoccupation with what other people from your groups think of you, that prevents you from living freely and nobly" - Nanning
Why do you keep accumulating stuff?

blumenkraft

« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2020, 03:20:15 PM »
LOL

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2020, 01:19:27 AM »
Really good looking image from Jan. 13 - only a hint of the edge rift having some extension.

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2020, 06:57:46 PM »
Nothing new to report on the topic of this tread, but yesterday's Polar View image shows a feature (circled) I don't recall seeing before.  It doesn't show in the December 4 image.

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2020, 03:04:07 PM »
Note on the image just above: if you don't see the 'circled feature', scroll to the right side of the image.

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2020, 08:39:38 PM »
PolarView Image from February 18.  Image clarity looks good, except for the 'creative folds' along the left edge.

blumenkraft

« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2020, 07:57:00 PM »
BTW, if you access the Sentinel 1 satellite pictures via EO-Browser, that weird glitch isn't there.

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2020, 07:24:56 PM »
PolarView image from March 4 shows (to my eyes) a stressed zone between the known crack and the 'left' edge.  Also shown is some 'creative folding'.  Will they ever iron out the script (that converts data into an image)?

But in terms of this poll, no calving event has occurred.

blumenkraft

« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2020, 07:27:19 AM »
First Sentinel 2 for Petermann is in!

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2020, 01:04:50 PM »
Quote from: gerontocrat

If the animals are pigs, you have a Hamburg.
If a hamburger is made with beef and a cheeseburger is made with cheese, what do you call it if it is made with ham?

blumenkraft

« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2020, 01:23:53 PM »
Ham-Hamburger. Obviously! :P

P-maker

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 72
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2020, 05:50:55 PM »
Blumenkraft, no way!

In Danish, it is called 'Flæskestegssandwich', which is nowhere near as difficult to pronounciate as 'Nioghalvfjerdsfjorden'.

blumenkraft

« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2020, 05:54:16 PM »
Holy moly, P-Maker. You have it with the names there, eh?

I remember that volcano that made it into international news and literally everyone pronounced it differently and likely no one correctly. That was fun!!

P-maker

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 72
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2020, 06:08:21 PM »
You mean this one: Eyjafjallajökull

close to Kirkjubæjarklaustur.

It was not fun. It was a forewarning of what happens, when international air traffic is grounded for weeks. Now we will have planes grounded for months, and we will see the net results of no jet contrails, less CO2 and fewer aerosol particles.

Couple that with ice and rift dynamics up north, and we will have a splendid season in in front of us.

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2020, 06:58:49 PM »
Reminds me of Lake E.
aka Lake El'gygytgyn which is of relevance to this forum (if not this thread) for its 3.5 million years of sediment cores used to decipher Arctic climate history in that part of Siberia.

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2020, 01:34:11 AM »
31/3/2020 Sentinel-hub Playground image suggests no expansion of the rifts, preventing the calving of an ice island.  So much for the 9 January to March voters.  ('pink' due to using B_'s "[B8A*2.5,B03*1,B02*1]" setting.  The dark left half is due to shadow.)