Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Northern Hemisphere Winter 2019-2020 Snowcover / Misc Obs  (Read 50823 times)

RoxTheGeologist

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 188
  • Likes Given: 149
Re: Northern Hemisphere Winter 2019-2020 Snowcover / Misc Obs
« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2019, 06:52:55 PM »
Snow is an insulator and a reflector. It prevents the earth losing heat and increases albedo. I foot of snow is equivalent to R15 insulation. It doesn't matter if the year was a "cold" or "warm" one, the difference is that the surface of the ground is insulated against emitting heat into space, the "ground" surface doesn't drop to -40 C or what ever the ambient temperature is. The contrast one has to consider for the analysis is the difference between winter and summer temperatures, not year on year changes.

Albedo is more important when the balance of heat loss prevented by the insulation throughout the day is less than the amount of heat added from insolation. If snow cover DOES persist into the summer then one, clearly, can make an argument that heat into the earth from insolation is going to decrease. From Shared Humanities post, the evidence is that this is not happening. Snow is melting out rapidly in the spring.

Basically we apply a nice reflective blanket in the cold of the night, to keep the heat in, then we pull it off as soon as there is enough warm sunshine to heat up the ground. My guess is its a strong positive feedback loop into warming the earth.

There will be nice deep early snowfalls from a meandering jet stream and an increasingly wet atmosphere, the latitudes that the snow will persist into spring will move north. The permafrost that relies on winter heat loss will thin and decline in extent, releasing more methane and CO2 and feeding the increasingly warm wet cycle towards an equitable climate.

The above are some of the feedbacks that amplify Milankovitch cycle variations. The cycles themselves don't change the heat input into the earth enough to cause the variations that we observe in previous interglacials. We are in a Milankovitch interglacial now and have accelerated the feedbacks by the release of gigatons of CO2.

bbr2314

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 158
  • Likes Given: 53
« Reply #51 on: October 16, 2019, 07:29:28 AM »
This would be a TAD EARLY though it is way off in la la land.

Shared Humanity

« Reply #52 on: October 17, 2019, 04:11:31 AM »
16 days!!

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1012
  • Likes Given: 1034
« Reply #53 on: October 17, 2019, 01:27:20 PM »
In la la land the snow falls thick as ice cream off a lolly stick
and every year an ice age starts , denied again by some old farts

while forecasts come and forecasts go , we only mention those with snow
all the others we ignore 'cause sunshine's such an effing bore.

Conflict is the root of all evil , for being blind it does not see whom it attacks . Yet it always attacks the Son Of God , and the Son of God is you .

bbr2314

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 17, 2019, 09:34:49 PM »
In la la land the snow falls thick as ice cream off a lolly stick
and every year an ice age starts , denied again by some old farts

while forecasts come and forecasts go , we only mention those with snow
all the others we ignore 'cause sunshine's such an effing bore.
+5000  ;D

bbr2314

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 19, 2019, 03:23:44 AM »
https://www.cambridge.org/core/services/aop-cambridge-core/content/view/882EB4EAFFC0A047D81202E95D74F00D/S002214300003121Xa.pdf/on_the_hypothesis_of_ice_ages_suggested_by_captain_e_s_gernet.pdf

Apparently "The ice lichens, a new theory of ice ages" is a long-lost book containing much of what I have speculated in this thread, I am not surprised it was eliminated from history considering it exposed what is perhaps mankind's greatest existential threat. It is tragic that actual research into this field has been buried since the 1950s, but unsurprising if the assertions of Captain Gernet do turn out to be correct (which I believe they will).

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5289
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #56 on: October 19, 2019, 02:47:34 PM »
Snow data from https://ccin.ca/ccw/snow/current as at 18 Oct 2019

It snows, it melts, it snows again, it melts again.. until winter properly arrives.

North America. Snow cover extent 1 SD above average. Much as in recent years.
However, the beginning of the new Ice Sheet seems to have moved from Quebec to Alaska this year.

Eurasia A recent big melt brings snow cover extent to below average.

ps: Greenland snowfall so far at average.
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2041
  • Likes Given: 1986
« Reply #57 on: October 19, 2019, 11:38:18 PM »
https://www.cambridge.org/core/services/aop-cambridge-core/content/view/882EB4EAFFC0A047D81202E95D74F00D/S002214300003121Xa.pdf/on_the_hypothesis_of_ice_ages_suggested_by_captain_e_s_gernet.pdf

Apparently "The ice lichens, a new theory of ice ages" is a long-lost book containing much of what I have speculated in this thread, I am not surprised it was eliminated from history considering it exposed what is perhaps mankind's greatest existential threat. It is tragic that actual research into this field has been buried since the 1950s, but unsurprising if the assertions of Captain Gernet do turn out to be correct (which I believe they will).

The article talks about the publications history. It was always rather obscure.

Many people have been looking into icesheets and ice ages from many angles and science fields which lots more observing and computing power since the 1950s.

Gernet appeals for the necessity of mankind destroying the Greenland ice sheet.

So you agree with that too?

Maybe we have been working on that in secret inspired by the captains book all this time?  ::)

Anyway it was an interesting read.
Of his points:
i) Normal condition of the Earth is no ice ages.

Our modern normal condition is with ice ages and our present culture evolved with them

ii) about the origin is the same as i) By Gernet and Stokes so that is ok.
iii) glaciers and ice sheets are a self regulating process and they are like disease of the planet

They are not like a disease
So this loops back to one. I read on to find what he would say about the retreat part but there is not much but this which you probably like:

The retreat stage lasts up to the moment when accumulation exceeds melting which occurs after the Arctic Ocean becomes free of ice. Then the above-mentioned cycle begins again.

This way it works when the conditions remain more or less the same so waxing and waning due to Milankovitch cycles.

But on a grander scale geologic changes are more important for turning them on or off.
And that includes our puny humans PETM beating run.

I am not surprised it was eliminated from history considering it exposed what is perhaps mankind's greatest existential threat.

Anyway i think it´s interesting that you seem to think glaciation is the greatest threat. Always made for some nice niche entertainment.  ;)

Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

bbr2314

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 20, 2019, 10:54:41 AM »
There are clearly many issues with the publication, but I like the conceptualization of ice sheets as a disease, or rather, as an organism. I think that is actually a sensible way of looking at things if Daisy  World is of real value (which it is). The ice sheet is not literally a living entity. But it helps in realizing why it spreads or retreats.

The models are trending very cold in the mid to long range across North America. These anomalies result in actual temps of something like -20F up at Yellowstone. While they are used to early winters, I think this year could be the worst start in quite some time.

Even before ^ output, the forecast is decidedly frigid. It is only mid-October.

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 20, 2019, 03:58:29 PM »

The models are trending very cold in the mid to long range across North America.

The image is not for all of North America. Indeed most of the really cold Arctic type weather is in Canada.
Canada 28 day forecast attached. Pretty much average over land, above average temps over the CAA, Baffin Bay and Pactic Ocean. https://weather.gc.ca/saisons/image_e.html?img=mfe1t_s

The US CEP says there will be a cold blob in late October /Early Nov.
But overall November looks really average for the lower 48 & Alaska above average.
https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/30day/

bbr2314

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 21, 2019, 04:23:38 AM »
I think November is going to be cold for the Lower 48.

Across the pond, the GFS is now showing snow across much of Ireland in 4-5 days.

I believe such an event for Ireland would be unprecedented at this time of year, snow is rare enough there in general.

bbr2314

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 22, 2019, 07:15:11 AM »
Looks like GFS has backed off the snow in Ireland which is not too surprising. According to Rutgers we are now way above normal again. I suspect this will be reflected in Canuck extent imminently but it should be noted that despite the temporary extent drop we did see, SWE remained above +1SD in both Eurasia and NAmerica.

bbr2314

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 24, 2019, 04:00:44 AM »
There are a couple counties out west where this is now the case for 2019 (coldest max temps ever for rolling period yr to date)

It should also be noted that February 2019 sticks out like a sore thumb. The only months that came near it previously across the High Plains were February of 1936 and March of 1843, apparently.

The area of the negative departures (up to 30F this February) was coupled with what are some of the coldest areas naturally occurring in the Lower 48 resulting in particularly exceptional temperatures. Like, not seen since 1936.

https://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/pdf/10.1175/1520-0493%281979%29107%3C1688%3ATETAOM%3E2.0.CO%3B2

I think 2019-20 will repeat these conditions but the core of the anomalies will be farther east, over the Dakotas, Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan / Ontario. That could result in the worst anomalies being situated much closer to population centers.

bbr2314

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 25, 2019, 03:23:43 AM »
October is ending with quite a bang

Also note the correlation between the worst-ever pinks over the Chukchi etc this year and the worst-ever purples now occurring over the "Triangle of Coldness" on REPEAT this autumn.

I think the GFS is wrong in the delay between the second cold shot ^ and the worst one at the end of its run. The CMC maintains the cold more steadily and I think it is correct. But I think that also lends credence to the notion that these shots of cold are still worsening and so there will be some ridiculous -20F or greater departures across parts of the High Plains by early November as depicted by the most recent GFS in the very extended range.

bbr2314

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile

bbr2314

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 30, 2019, 09:36:28 PM »
The models are now hunkering down on a period of extremely severe cold across most of North America centered in the "triangle of coldness" through 11/15 and maybe beyond.

Those are sub-0F temps being forecast across Iowa etc. And it is early November! The GFS and EURO are similar with overall picture. In fact the consensus would indicate parts of Montana / ND could be running up to -10C or cooler for November as a whole by the middle of the month.

Temperatures are forecast to remain intermittently above freezing or much above freezing across the Bering / Chukchi through D15 as well.

The out-of-sync nature of where Arctic airmasses should be vs. where they are is (IMO) going to result in a VERY early refreeze of most freshwater lakes in North America (possibly underway already in much of Canada). As we head deeper into November this may result in the gradient with Bering + Chukchi worsening even further, and I would think that will result in a "stuck" pattern worsening for much of the foreseeable future, with the core of the cold anomalies slowly dropping eastward alongside the albedo / snowfall gradient to gradually encompass all of the Midwest and Northeast.

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 01, 2019, 04:40:39 PM »
November forecast from the US CPC & Environment Canada.

USA - Warm in the West, cold in the East. Canada - mixed

bbr2314

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 12, 2019, 08:40:07 AM »

SXUS73 KLOT 120639 CCA
RERORD

RECORD EVENT REPORT...CORRECTED
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO IL
1237 AM CST TUE NOV 12 2019

...RECORD DAILY MAXIMUM SNOWFALL SET AND RECORD LOW SET AT CHICAGO-
OHARE IL...

A RECORD SNOWFALL OF 3.4 INCHES WAS SET AT CHICAGO-OHARE IL MONDAY
NOVEMBER 11TH. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 1.9 SET IN 1995.

A RECORD LOW TEMPERATURE OF 13 DEGREES WAS SET AT CHICAGO-OHARE IL
MONDAY NOVEMBER 11TH. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 15 DEGREES SET
IN 1950.

bbr2314

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 12, 2019, 08:48:05 AM »
I think there is the best chance we have had for a total refreeze of Lake Michigan this winter. The background conditions are already frigid and the entirety of the lake is now surrounded by anomalously early snowcover (and has been from time to time this season, in fact Chicago has recorded snowfall 4 days so far this month, and this is after O'Hare had the record event in late October).

Conditions are priming Michigan, Superior, and Huron for a very early refreeze, I believe.

This will have major ramifications into springtime and maybe even summertime if it does occur. In 2013-14 the lakes had substantial coverage into April, with remnant ice making it into June in parts of Superior. Any additional headstart on that event could result in substantial comparative mass + coverage gain by springtime. And the later the ice melts in spring, the more it thickens in the meantime as it keeps snowing in the vicinity (generally speaking).

It would really be something to see Michigan freeze over 100% completely, which it never has before (mid-90s max). When a lake freezes completely I wonder if mass gain accelerates as well? IDK just a thought

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1012
  • Likes Given: 1034
« Reply #69 on: November 12, 2019, 10:28:13 AM »
  an early freeze would reduce snowfall in the vicinity by killing lake effect snow .. b.c.
Conflict is the root of all evil , for being blind it does not see whom it attacks . Yet it always attacks the Son Of God , and the Son of God is you .

bbr2314

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 12, 2019, 10:37:35 AM »
  an early freeze would reduce snowfall in the vicinity by killing lake effect snow .. b.c.
It doesn't eliminate LES, strong winds move ice around and re-open the Lakes until at least Feb / Mar, and even with full 100% coverage this will still happen. It does cut down on LES.

But with the Chukchi now open in all of November and Bering the same for DJF, there is probably enough offset from up north for the difference to be less relevant than it would be otherwise (and this is the primary reason for the supremely FRIGID temps of late, as the +precip / +snowfall in areas that are close to desert is enough to drop their temps dramatically, which translates downwind). This is specifically in reference to the elevated "Triangle of Coldness" between the Northern Rockies, Hudson Bay, and the GL.

By springtime, as the ice begins to melt, I think the flux and extant ice are very much supportive of much more snowfall as a percent of overall precip when the lakes are covered (at least in their vicinity +/- a few hundred miles).

bbr2314

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 15, 2019, 11:04:19 PM »
The departures this month (to date) are, I believe, unprecedented. In Chicago, the monthly temp to date is below the all-time coldest November, which is quite a feat considering we are halfway through the warmest part of the month! While we may see some moderation in the second half, a top-5 finish would appear likely.

I think this is directly tied to the increasing precipitation totals in Montana. It is the most notable variable that appears to be correlated with these episodes of frigidity (and derivative of the lack of sea ice way up north). The lack of sea ice in Chukchi / etc sends the jetstream N->S across the Rockies instead of W->E. This results in CA dryness, and a HUGE increase in precipitation for north-facing slopes of the High Rockies east of the Continental Divide.

This is only going to get worse and worse as the sea ice continues to fade. AND, it is going to be coupled with dropping temps in the Great Lakes as it keeps getting worse. We may still see a year or two like 2011-12 in between now and BOE where the reaction fades, but I am now increasingly convinced we are hurtling towards a localized resurgence of the ice age, which will eventually become non-localized.

El Cid

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 923
  • Likes Given: 225
« Reply #72 on: November 16, 2019, 08:52:24 AM »
The departures this month (to date) are, I believe, unprecedented. In Chicago, the monthly temp to date is below the all-time coldest November, which is quite a feat considering we are halfway through the warmest part of the month!

Just an interesting tidbit relating to that: central Europe had its 1st/2nd/3rd warmest October (depending on location) and it seems to be on track to have its 1st/2nd warmest November (see our weather forecast - in degree C, its been similar to that the whole month).  <our average November temperature used to be 5-6 C, the last 10 yrs around 8 C, and this month is likely to be above 10 C>
I think that as the Arctic warms the pole of cold is moving from the Greenland/North Pole area towards the Greenland-Hudson area (added snow for albedo effect due to lots of moisture export). This makes it possible to push more warm air into Europe...

(BTW, Budapest has not seen freezing temperatures, that is below 0 C since February 25th and will likely not see any until at least the end of November - that is unprecedented and pretty much subtropical)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 09:02:10 AM by El Cid »

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 16, 2019, 03:11:12 PM »
USA-
- earlier this month damn cold and loads of snow in the West
- then warmth arrived and most of the snow has melted
- so the damn cold moved east, loads of cold and snow.
But it looks like the cold may moderate and a lot of that snow may melt in the next few days.

North America -as at 15 Nov Snow Cover Extent more than +1SD above average but quite an impressive melt in the last couple of days.

I am sure another blast of cold and snow will roar down from the North as a big wobbly Rossby wave drifts in from the west.
I am also (not quite so) sure that a big wobble Rossby wave will come from the south some time or other.

So my speculation that belongs to me is that while the Polar Vortex stays feeble we will see more drama in both cold and warmth and snowfall and snow melt, each lasting longer than what was once the norm.

ps: Eurasia - as at 15 Nov snow cover extent just a tad above average according to the graph, while it looks less than average on the map..

pps: Most of the snow in North America is not in the lower 48 of the US of A.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 11:26:52 PM by gerontocrat »

Shared Humanity

« Reply #74 on: November 16, 2019, 09:53:30 PM »
Currently 40F and sunny in Chicago. 3 inch snow from earlier this week is disappearing. Highs for all of next week are from 40F to 50F.

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #75 on: November 16, 2019, 10:31:04 PM »
Still damn cold & snowy here in Cambridge Ontario.

To be honest I recall many a snowy Halloween in my long past youth.
Terry

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 17, 2019, 12:52:00 PM »

Terry
But South of 49, the melt goes on...

Klondike Kat

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 40
  • Likes Given: 56
« Reply #77 on: November 17, 2019, 02:02:32 PM »
Warmer (more typical) weather will melt much of the snow in the eastern U.S.  This will be countered by heavy snow out west.  May balance out or may not.

Shared Humanity

« Reply #78 on: November 17, 2019, 04:49:57 PM »
The departures this month (to date) are, I believe, unprecedented. In Chicago, the monthly temp to date is below the all-time coldest November, which is quite a feat considering we are halfway through the warmest part of the month! While we may see some moderation in the second half, a top-5 finish would appear likely.

Mini ice ages are phenomena that extend over thousands of years. I just find it odd that two weeks of 'unprecedented' cold anomaly across NA would cause anyone to be.,,

...now increasingly convinced we are hurtling towards a localized resurgence of the ice age, which will eventually become non-localized.

Having said that, it appears the trend of positive snow fall anomalies early in the winter in the NH are showing up again.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 05:03:36 PM by Shared Humanity »

Shared Humanity

« Reply #79 on: November 17, 2019, 05:51:03 PM »
 Trends in snow cover data for 1950–2012 in Canada. Upward (downward) pointing triangles indicate Positive (negative) trends. Solid triangles correspond to trends significant at the 5% level. (Vincent et al. 2015).

https://www.ccin.ca/home/sites/default/files/snow/past/snow_cover_triangles.jpg

Trends are almost uniformly down during this time frame.

"Snow depth measurements are made daily at Canadian climate stations from manual ruler observation or from automated gauges that continuously measure the distance to the snow surface via ultrasound. Trend analysis of stations with continuous daily snow depth data from 1950-2012 (Figure 2) shows that the duration of snow on the ground has decreased almost everywhere in Canada with the largest decreases in the spring. The average decrease in snow cover over the period was 18 days and was accompanied by decreases in maximum winter snow depths and a shift in the date of peak snow accumulation to earlier in the season. The decrease in the maximum snow depth over southern Canada is being driven by less winter precipitation and a lower fraction of precipitation falling as snow in response to winter warming (Vincent et al. 2015). Satellite monitoring of the total snow covered area of Canada began in the early 1970s and these data confirm the significant reductions in spring snow cover seen at the climate stations."

Shared Humanity

« Reply #80 on: November 17, 2019, 06:08:45 PM »
You can create SWE animations for Canada from 1979 to 2012 here.

https://www.ccin.ca/index.php/ccw/snow/past/swe

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 17, 2019, 06:09:45 PM »
The current conventional wisdom from the climate models is that snowfall will increase at high latitudes as less cold air with higher water content heads north. On the other hand, at lower latitudes the snow season will start later and end earlier,i.e. over the year less snow and more rain.

I doubt the models yet incorporate the effects of a wobbly weak polar vortex allowing large slowly moving Rossby waves occasionally bringing down polar air to low latitudes as happened recently. The vice versa is relatively very warm air heading to the high north from low latitudes.

So my speculation that belongs to me is to see more often extreme cold + snow followed by extreme warmth. But who knows what this winter will bring.

bbr2314

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 17, 2019, 08:13:11 PM »
Trends in snow cover data for 1950–2012 in Canada. Upward (downward) pointing triangles indicate Positive (negative) trends. Solid triangles correspond to trends significant at the 5% level. (Vincent et al. 2015).

https://www.ccin.ca/home/sites/default/files/snow/past/snow_cover_triangles.jpg

Trends are almost uniformly down during this time frame.

"Snow depth measurements are made daily at Canadian climate stations from manual ruler observation or from automated gauges that continuously measure the distance to the snow surface via ultrasound. Trend analysis of stations with continuous daily snow depth data from 1950-2012 (Figure 2) shows that the duration of snow on the ground has decreased almost everywhere in Canada with the largest decreases in the spring. The average decrease in snow cover over the period was 18 days and was accompanied by decreases in maximum winter snow depths and a shift in the date of peak snow accumulation to earlier in the season. The decrease in the maximum snow depth over southern Canada is being driven by less winter precipitation and a lower fraction of precipitation falling as snow in response to winter warming (Vincent et al. 2015). Satellite monitoring of the total snow covered area of Canada began in the early 1970s and these data confirm the significant reductions in spring snow cover seen at the climate stations."

This is very useful however my whole thesis has been that 2012 was the "apex" of the warmth and we have only seen the snowy trend emerge in force since that year. Or perhaps 2007-2012 was the apex. In any case, this is still wonderful!

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 18, 2019, 04:07:03 PM »

Terry
and on.....

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #84 on: November 19, 2019, 03:16:41 PM »
Yea I'm in Canada but at about the same latitude as the California/Oregon border. A little north of that border, but not by much.
No new snow last night and grass showing everywhere. Only the best insulated roofs are snow covered.
I don't think I've experienced a week since 2004 when I couldn't see grass - but my balcony faces south. :)
Terry

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 20, 2019, 11:14:06 AM »

Terry
and on.....
and on....

Turning into an event, i.e. a bit more than a hiccup. Can this melt persist ?

Shared Humanity

« Reply #86 on: November 21, 2019, 05:04:18 AM »
Today in Chicago, it was sunny with a high of 48F. Tomorrow's high will be 54F but a lot of rain in the forecast. I would say the melt could continue but there is no snow to melt here.

Midnightsun

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #87 on: November 21, 2019, 08:50:32 AM »
So my speculation that belongs to me is to see more often extreme cold + snow followed by extreme warmth. But who knows what this winter will bring.

Extreme cold + snow followed by extreme warmth has been delivered here in Northernmost Sweden. From -30C and snowcover at start of November (extreme cold anomaly -10C), to +3C and rain for days now (extreme warm anomaly +10C).

It was also strangely humid despite the cold degrees.

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 21, 2019, 12:17:12 PM »

Terry
and on.....
and on....

Turning into an event, i.e. a bit more than a hiccup. Can this melt persist ?
Looks like snow in the West, more melt in the East (if its not completely gone as in Chicago already)

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 24, 2019, 04:29:17 PM »
Northern Hemisphere Winter 2019-2020 Snowcover is - average.

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 25, 2019, 04:37:00 PM »
Northern Hemisphere Winter 2019-2020 Snowcover is - average.
North American Winter 2019-2020 Snowcover is - below? average.

Klondike Kat

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 25, 2019, 05:38:06 PM »
Wait a few days.  A big snowstorm is approaching.

Shared Humanity

« Reply #92 on: November 26, 2019, 01:43:55 AM »

Approaching where?

Klondike Kat

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 26, 2019, 02:58:11 AM »

Approaching where?

Western and central U.S.

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 28, 2019, 08:35:44 PM »

Approaching where?

Western and central U.S.
Yep, it has snowed. (H2O, not the other sort of snow).

Qu1: Any more snow to come?
Qu2: Will it melt? Maybe in the Lower 48 next week.

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 29, 2019, 02:14:48 PM »

Approaching where?

Western and central U.S.
Yep, it has snowed. (H2O, not the other sort of snow).

Qu1: Any more snow to come?
Qu2: Will it melt? Maybe in the Lower 48 next week.
Qu1: Any more snow to come? Yep.
Qu2: Will it melt? Not yet.

HapHazard

• Grease ice
  • Chillin' on Cold Mountain.
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 284
  • Likes Given: 5241
« Reply #96 on: November 30, 2019, 08:05:37 AM »
My snow shovel is still collecting dust in the garage. In my 12 years here (south BC interior), the previous record for "latest into the winter season I had to get the snow shovel out" was November 8th.
If I call you out but go no further, the reason is Brandolini's law.

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 30, 2019, 01:54:35 PM »
My snow shovel is still collecting dust in the garage. In my 12 years here (south BC interior), the previous record for "latest into the winter season I had to get the snow shovel out" was November 8th.
Looks like your snow-free patch is surrounded by the white stuff.

https://ccin.ca/home/sites/default/files/snow/snow_tracker/plot_anom_sdep.png

https://ccin.ca/ccw/snow/current

HapHazard

• Grease ice
  • Chillin' on Cold Mountain.
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 284
  • Likes Given: 5241
« Reply #98 on: December 01, 2019, 12:53:40 AM »

Yep. (and hopefully it stays this way!) Weather vs. climate & all that. Still waiting for that Quebec glaciation to happen.
If I call you out but go no further, the reason is Brandolini's law.

philopek

« Reply #99 on: December 01, 2019, 02:21:47 AM »
Yep. (and hopefully it stays this way!) Weather vs. climate & all that. Still waiting for that Quebec glaciation to happen.

Not to forget about the Swiss cheese kind of a Greenland ice-shield  8)

« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 02:21:51 PM by philopek »