Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Greta Thunberg's Atlantic crossing  (Read 80214 times)

Renerpho

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 238
  • Likes Given: 61
Greta Thunberg's Atlantic crossing
« on: August 15, 2019, 08:11:01 AM »
You may have heard of Greta Thunberg's plan to attend the UN climate summits in New York and Chile. She is determined to make the voyage carbon-free. To do this, she attempts to sail across the Atlantic. If successful, she will be the first person with zero sailing experience to make this trip.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-devon-49330423

Thunberg departed from Plymouth, UK yesterday. She will first go south west, then into the north Atlantic to Newfoundland, and south to New York. The journey is planned to take 14 days.

You can follow her here: https://tracker.borisherrmannracing.com/

I am a bit worried about that storm currently sitting over the Atlantic. That storm is moving to the east or south east. She may have to cross it.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 08:18:46 AM by Renerpho »
Before I came here I was confused about this subject. Having listened to your lecture I am still confused. But on a higher level.

KiwiGriff

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 710
  • Likes Given: 372
Re: Greta Thunberg's Atlantic crossing
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2019, 08:31:30 AM »
Ocean sailors have a saying for unexperienced crew.
Sea sickness is mind over matter.
We don't mind you don't matter. :-\

Brave girl. An ocean voyage on a small boat is a huge adventure for anyone to undertake.
 May she not puke her guts out .

Animals can be driven crazy by placing too many in too small a pen. Homo sapiens is the only animal that voluntarily does this to himself.
Notebooks of Lazarus Long.
Robert Heinlein.

PSJ

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2019, 08:31:53 AM »
Thanks for setting up this thread. ASI and ASIF urgently needs leaders like Greta Thunberg who have inspired some many children as well as adults. Amazing that her voyage is already being covered by media like the BBC and TheGuardian.

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2019, 12:01:27 PM »
Reminiscent of the chiefs who paddled their Chisasibi Canoes up through Hudson Bay, then down the Labrador Coast to the UN building in NYC.

Held up the Bay St James Project for a decade or more, or at least that's the way the Cree tell the story.
Terry

Alexander555

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 185
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2019, 05:23:59 PM »
The link to follow her is not working. Can somebody see something ?

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1012
  • Likes Given: 1034
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2019, 05:33:32 PM »
she had a good night's sleep and is enjoying the company of dolphins .. :) .. b.c.
Conflict is the root of all evil , for being blind it does not see whom it attacks . Yet it always attacks the Son Of God , and the Son of God is you .

Renerpho

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2019, 05:38:17 PM »
Reminiscent of the chiefs who paddled their Chisasibi Canoes up through Hudson Bay, then down the Labrador Coast to the UN building in NYC.

I had never heard of this. I looked it up, and it's a great story.
If you don't know it either: https://www.cbc.ca/news/indigenous/northern-quebec-cree-community-celebrates-25th-anniversary-of-odeyak-voyage-1.3044078
Before I came here I was confused about this subject. Having listened to your lecture I am still confused. But on a higher level.

Renerpho

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2019, 05:41:39 PM »
The link to follow her is not working. Can somebody see something ?

It is working for me. Maybe try another browser?

Updates are also shared here: https://twitter.com/borisherrmann
And here: https://www.instagram.com/borisherrmannracing/

Map below is showing wave heights.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 05:47:06 PM by Renerpho »

Alexander555

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2019, 05:51:40 PM »
ok, thanks. I think that little thing is going to gain plenty supporters.

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2019, 05:59:56 PM »

I had never heard of this. I looked it up, and it's a great story.
If you don't know it either: https://www.cbc.ca/news/indigenous/northern-quebec-cree-community-celebrates-25th-anniversary-of-odeyak-voyage-1.3044078

I was up in that part of the country ~>10 years ago. Wonderful people, wonderful canoes!
Some of those who made the trip were still talking about it to anyone who would listen. :)
I listened.
Terry

Bernard

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 23
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2019, 07:49:30 PM »
Malizia II, a high-tech competition boat, of which initial cost of conception/construction is estimated by Wikipedia at 4 millions euros. Maybe carbon-free, but not money-free. https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malizia_II (in French).

Bernard

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 23
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2019, 07:52:34 PM »
Amazing that her voyage is already being covered by media like the BBC and TheGuardian.
She does not paddle through the Atlantic. This is show business.

Renerpho

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2019, 07:53:40 PM »
Malizia II, a high-tech competition boat, of which initial cost of conception/construction is estimated by Wikipedia at 4 millions euros. Maybe carbon-free, but not money-free. https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malizia_II (in French).

I guess there are three wholesome ways to cross the Atlantic: Carbon-free, or money-free, or in a coffin.

PSJ

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2019, 09:26:19 AM »
First AGW related tweet from the boat is about ASI

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2019, 10:25:05 AM »
 So Bernard , would you have her travel by coracle ?

The Malizia II is the work of craftsmen (and women I hope ) , Reminds me of a friend with a £30k stereo who went everywhere by public transport . It's all good .. b.c.

Conflict is the root of all evil , for being blind it does not see whom it attacks . Yet it always attacks the Son Of God , and the Son of God is you .

philopek

« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2019, 03:36:51 PM »
Since Wednesday Greta Thunberg (16) is on her way to the Kilmagipfel of the United Nations in New York. By sailboat. To protect the environment. Now it turns out: It does exactly the opposite.

For the yacht, along with Greta her Papi Svante (50), the German professional sailor Boris Herrmann (38) and the blue-blooded Pierre Casiraghi (31) spend the next two weeks, is brought by the illustrious crew only in the US. Back she is driven by foreign sailors. And they have to be taken to New York by plane first.

4 flights more than necessary
About five employees would sail the yacht back to Europe, said Andreas Kling, press spokesman for Thunberg skipper Boris Herrmann, on Thursday the German newspaper "Tageszeitung". "Of course, they fly over there, that's no different," says Kling. As a pure offshore racing boat in the harbor, the "Malizia II" is extremely difficult to maneuver and, after its journeys, has to be meticulously maintained and supplied with new provisions.

Herrmann will also take the plane for the return journey. Makes at least six flights needed by the sailing trip. If Greta and Svante had flown directly, it would have been two flights.

PSJ

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2019, 04:13:33 PM »
Yea, that's really too bad and should have been more thought through. Let's at least hope that the impact of the stunt ends up being greater than the emissions it adds...  ::)

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2019, 04:44:11 PM »
Hang on before you start spreading misinformation . Greta is taking a one-way trip on this boat , She is travelling throuhgout the Americas .. committed to going to Chile for a start . What the boat does after she disembarks is scarcely her responsibility .. she is doing what's right for the planet . Take up elsewhere what others are responsible for .. b.c.

.. and the boat was already making the trip ..

ShortBrutishNasty

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 34
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2019, 06:26:59 PM »
I'm with Bernard who said: "This is show business."

Yes, a neatly arranged stunt by her handlers.  If she's true Asberger's, at some point she will snap to the manipulation and you won't again see her free-wheeling on camera.
Thomas Hobbes , English philosopher 1588-1679

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2019, 06:55:47 PM »
short , brutish and nasty indeed ! :)

rboyd

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 226
  • Likes Given: 52
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2019, 07:16:51 PM »
The peak of elite virtue signalling, we can all watch Greta being "sustainable" and feel good feelings while our elites do nothing. The Romans worked out that all the populace needed was bread and circuses to keep them quiet. No bread = revolution, as the French and Russian nobility found out to their cost.

nanning

• Nilas ice
  • 0Kg CO₂, 37 KWh/wk,125L H₂O/wk, No offspring
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 273
  • Likes Given: 23170
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2019, 07:35:21 PM »
I think Greta is a great leader. A beautiful human. I wish her a safe and unbothered crossing.
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly" - Bertrand Russell
"It is preoccupation with what other people from your groups think of you, that prevents you from living freely and nobly" - Nanning
Why do you keep accumulating stuff?

Alexander555

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2019, 08:05:50 PM »
I hope the waves are not going to get to big, but they already look a little bit big for that little boat. And that for saving what we ruined.

philopek

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2019, 08:09:08 PM »
short , brutish and nasty indeed ! :)

I'm surprised, normally you're the one who sees through things and of course i don't say anything about her because i don't know her.

I think we're talking cross each-other, you mean her and we mean her  "handlers" and what others make out of the "story"

I'm sure future will tell as always and other than awareness that's key indeed, there is no further solution or benefit of worshiping. People who need an idol to get their ass up are acting for the wrong motives and won't help the cause.

One good example of thousands of others is what happened in the aftermath of the french revolution (or most others like the one in October 2017) Worse than before it was because those who abused the justified anger of the public had totally other goals in mind than what they proclaimed.

Same here and it's not her fault, let me point this out clearly.

Further, I know this is not popular again, just imagine if she were a pin-up girl, nobody would take her seriously. There definitely is a relation between things and general public as well as
those with inferiority complexes and profiling neurosis would never accept an idol without deficit.

Best of all deficits for great minds (people) is death or did you not yet recognize that most officially accepted heroes and idols in relevant fields are either limited or dead.

If not one can simply wait for their "Démontage" once they become too popular.

rboyd

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 226
  • Likes Given: 52
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2019, 08:17:51 PM »
To misuse a popular phrase... (apres moi le deluge)

Après mon voyage en yacht aucune action réelle pour arrêter le déluge ... image sur action.

blumenkraft

« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2019, 08:21:51 PM »

Yes, a neatly arranged stunt by her handlers.  If she's true Asberger's, at some point she will snap to the manipulation and you won't again see her free-wheeling on camera.

What's a true Aspie?

As you write it you must be very knowledgeable on the topic.

mitch

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 24
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2019, 08:25:37 PM »
Once Greta gets south of the Bay of Biscay, the seas don't look too bad. Here's a wave height forecast for the Atlantic:
http://www.stormsurfing.com/cgi/display.cgi?a=atla_ortho_height

Renerpho

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2019, 08:56:55 PM »

What's a true Aspie?

As you write it you must be very knowledgeable on the topic.

Being a true Aspie myself, I am very curious about this, too.
Maybe you can give us some insights?

blumenkraft

« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2019, 09:05:47 PM »
Being a true Aspie myself, I am very curious about this, too.
Maybe you can give us some insights?

I think ShortBrutishNasty has cornered themselves into an unwinnable debate. Eager to see how exactly they will embarrass themselves.  ;D ;)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 09:16:37 PM by blumenkraft »

etienne

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • About energy
  • Liked: 309
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2019, 09:08:03 PM »
From my experience, you can't get a good press coverage if you do not have support of influencial people, that's sure. But I think that she is doing a pretty good work and is able to keep saying what she wants  and feels. If you wonder why I say this, just check her tweets and the ones of other influencer on Internet: you can't see who produced her clothes and shoes, you don't see the name of any greenBau company, she is not driven around in a EV... I really think that she is doing a good job.
She also says that we should listen to the scientists, normal people in her situation would ask everybody to listen only to themselves.

blumenkraft

« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2019, 09:16:03 PM »
Before Greta, no one thought of calling for strikes and preaching about climate change is a great business model. Now people actually believe it.

Brain worms...

KiwiGriff

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 710
  • Likes Given: 372
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2019, 11:14:48 PM »
I would bet that the ratio of Aspies on this forum is greater than in the population at large.
We await the startling revelations as to what We are and how We think.

Greta has had more impact than any individual here, in all probability more than all of us here.
I wish her continuing success in shifting the overton window towards the changes humanity needs.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 01:14:55 AM by KiwiGriff »
Animals can be driven crazy by placing too many in too small a pen. Homo sapiens is the only animal that voluntarily does this to himself.
Notebooks of Lazarus Long.
Robert Heinlein.

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2019, 11:24:27 PM »
I just hope she's not subject to sea sickness. :P 
Edit]
Does she look a green around the gills, or is that a reflection from the water?
Terry

Renerpho

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2019, 03:28:57 AM »
I just hope she's not subject to sea sickness.

The weather was a bit rough yesterday, but it got better. There have been no cases of sea sickness yet. They will try to avoid the worst parts of that storm to the northwest.

Quote from: boris herrmann
After a rough day at sea the team are all happy and feeling much better. No one has been sick but we all felt a bit off!
https://twitter.com/borisherrmann/status/1162488058190749696

Current conditions: Temperature 17°C; wind 15 kt (gusts 22 kt); waves 3.1m; swell 2.7m, 10s.
https://www.windy.com/46.939/-15.892/waves?waves,46.580,-15.892,8,m:eXoafIF

ShortBrutishNasty

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 34
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2019, 04:27:17 AM »
I'm operating under three assumptions:

1.  Greta is highly intelligent.

2.  It's just a matter of time before she recognizes she's being tooled.

3.  When that happens, her lack--total or partial-- of emotional filter will render her unmanageable.  See "Alex Honnold"; "Free Solo".  You just will stop hearing about her.
Thomas Hobbes , English philosopher 1588-1679

nanning

• Nilas ice
  • 0Kg CO₂, 37 KWh/wk,125L H₂O/wk, No offspring
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 273
  • Likes Given: 23170
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2019, 04:54:14 AM »
I think you are wrong about her and I don't kow much about aspergers. She has a very strong character and principles (morality) and is a very independent thinker in my view. She is not a puppet. She is not a grown-up (I'm neither and that's an enormous difference I can tell you).
People might try to use her but I think there are no strings to pull.

She has had a wide range of new and personal experiences in the past year and has learned a lot. We'll see. Please stop with talking about her personality, asperger and potential vulnerabilities. Wrong focus. In stead, we should do that with the current fake leaders, the rich old white vain conmen.
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly" - Bertrand Russell
"It is preoccupation with what other people from your groups think of you, that prevents you from living freely and nobly" - Nanning
Why do you keep accumulating stuff?

blumenkraft

« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2019, 07:52:58 AM »
I'm operating under three assumptions:

1.  Greta is highly intelligent.

2.  It's just a matter of time before she recognizes she's being tooled.

3.  When that happens, her lack--total or partial-- of emotional filter will render her unmanageable.  See "Alex Honnold"; "Free Solo".  You just will stop hearing about her.

I hate it when people don't answer a question.  ::)

You are contradicting yourself. If she is so intelligent, why is she too stupid to realize that she is 'tooled'? You are making no sense at all.

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2019, 10:41:23 AM »
philopek .. I was just pointing out (to you ) that Greta is not responsible for what happens next with a boat she makes a one-way journey on . Is a person who gets off the bus at the last stop now responsible for the bus returning empty to the station and how the driver goes home ? This is an unfair dumping on a young girl who chose the greenest option of travel available to her . Are you or nasty brute doing more to raise awareness among the young ( and polititians ) (yes .. tits . ) ?
  'back she is driven by foreign sailors ' .. how do you know ? She does not know how or when she returns .. but you do ???  Or is 'foreign' in this instance anyone who isn't Swedish ?
  I only ask that you treat with some fairness a good soul who cares for her planet .. b.c.

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5289
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2019, 12:37:41 PM »
There is no doubt that looked purely as an energy / CO2 equation Ms Thunberg's boat ride does not make sense.

BUT

We all need symbols - look at the fuss on the suggestions thread about Neven's classification of members according to number of posts***.

So sailing to New York is a symbol.

Perhaps Ms. Thunberg has worked that out for herself, and believes the benefits will outweigh the negatives, e.g. there is little doubt that the denier industry will no doubt seize upon the sort of negative stuff posted on this thread to try and shoot her down.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 12:59:10 PM by gerontocrat »
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

bligh8

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 56
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2019, 01:57:59 PM »
The vessel is heading south east making way for the trade wind passage....I'm sure they have on board or through communication's the very best weather information possible.  Sailing, without exception, is the most environmentally friendly way to travel.  Movement without effort, traveling without burning FF.  I'm purty sure there are no cooking facilities on that vessel, every thing about that boat is about weight...   when the boat reaches a speed of 17 mph, the noise below deck becomes deafening, this is true of all sailing in heavy weather, I had ear plugs which helped a little.
I'm also sure the construction of that vessel is fossil fuel intensive, which matters not considering what the las is trying to communicate with the planet.  The British people have always been a little desperate searching for the next "hero", I'm sure we will get some over head footage, plane or helo, just as we did with Sir Francis Charles Chichester while rounding the horn.

I sincerely wish this young girl all the luck and success inher efforts to help us.

bligh
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 02:05:43 PM by bligh8 »

NevB

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 82
  • Likes Given: 571
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2019, 02:13:29 PM »
The people here speculating about Greta being manipulated are pathetic.

If you bothered to watch her interviews and have capacity to understand peoples motives then you would know she is doing this because she believes in what she is doing and rather than being manipulated she is influencing the people around her.

I call you all pathetic because this young girl is actually making a difference and your here wining that building the yacht that she's sailing on had some carbon emissions. Really, she made the best choice she could about how to travel to the US where she probably will make even more a of an impact and all you can do is whine about this.

This seems like the denialist bullshit that doesn't gets past Neven's moderation for very long. 

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1153
  • Likes Given: 430
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2019, 02:21:00 PM »
This sailboat is a hell of a lot more comfortable than the Solar Impulse 2 (solar + batteries plane), which accomplished a multi-legged flight around the globe using no fossil fuel.  But could only do it in an easterly direction, and in the northern hemisphere. ;)

https://aroundtheworld.solarimpulse.com
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

SteveMDFP

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 583
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2019, 03:30:02 PM »

If you bothered to watch her interviews and have capacity to understand peoples motives then you would know she is doing this because she believes in what she is doing and rather than being manipulated she is influencing the people around her.

I call you all pathetic because this young girl is actually making a difference and your here wining that building the yacht that she's sailing on had some carbon emissions. Really, she made the best choice she could about how to travel to the US where she probably will make even more a of an impact and all you can do is whine about this.

This seems like the denialist bullshit that doesn't gets past Neven's moderation for very long.

+1  Greta's words, and they way they have inspired many to stand up, speak for themselves.

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2019, 04:17:47 PM »

A Ditty for the Damned
or
Dogrel for Denighers

Well
Greta Rules the Airwaves
Britannia Rules the Seas

but
Greta may seize the rulers
And bring 'em to their knees

As
gerontocrat's Royal standing
was challenged in the loo
With just one Royal Flushing
They'll wind up with the poo

Will
Greta and gerontocrat
An alliterative alliance make
to stamp his Royal seal
on her Gretanic zeal

That
Ship has left the harbor
if we were not onboard
the next stop is Perdition
without the world's accord

If
Greta's stopped
our naked feet
Will blister in the heat
and melt plumb off amid the fray
If there's an ounce of clay

May all the winds that drive her ship
be following, steady and strong
May all denighers flub their lines
And finally admit they're wrong

Ramen!
Terry

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2019, 04:36:34 PM »
Three cheers for Terry ! .. just bc.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1153
  • Likes Given: 430
« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2019, 03:51:57 AM »
Looks like they have survived the crossing OK.

Greta Thunberg (@GretaThunberg) 8/27/19, 3:29 PM
Day 14. 119 miles from Manhattan. Very light winds south of Long Island.
https://twitter.com/gretathunberg/status/1166432482788630529
Image below.
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

bligh8

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2019, 03:19:13 PM »
Greta looks tired, a passage like that will do that to one who is not experienced.  see the two large poles extending outward from the sides?  Their flying a spinnaker or a light air drifter, typically a 3/4 ounce sail (light as butterfly wings).  A good nights sleep & some good food and she'll be right as rain.

bligh

P-maker

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 72
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2019, 04:12:19 PM »
Bligh,

Thank you for your informed view and insightful comment. The picture was good in itself, but your words made it perfect.

Cheers P

bligh8

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 28, 2019, 10:58:15 PM »
Thank you....

VaughnAn

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 58
  • Likes Given: 445
« Reply #49 on: August 29, 2019, 07:11:07 AM »

NevB I agree this needed to be said.  I edited this post because I was convinced by a later post that negativity doesn't belong in this forum. Greta is making a huge difference bringing forth the critical climate message that needs to be delivered to policy makers.  Greta is a bright light in the gathering darkness.  She has my full support for what she says and for her actions.  Go Greta, you go girl, go!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 05:27:17 AM by VaughnAn »