Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Greta Thunberg's Atlantic crossing  (Read 80212 times)

Tom_Mazanec

Re: Greta Thunberg's Atlantic crossing
« Reply #150 on: September 16, 2019, 05:07:50 PM »
Not just Greta:
Green with rage: Women climate change leaders face online attacks
https://theconversation.com/green-with-rage-women-climate-change-leaders-face-online-attacks-123155
Women leaders who support climate action are being attacked online with increasing regularity. These attacks should be viewed as a problem not only for the planet, but also to the goals of achieving gender equality and more inclusive, democratic politics.

Teen activist Greta Thunberg takes her youth climate campaign to Washington
https://beta.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2019/09/13/teen-activist-greta-thunberg-takes-her-youth-climate-campaign-washington/
Before her latest strike, in front of the White House on Friday, Thunberg sat for an interview with The Washington Post. She spoke about how the climate debate is different in the United States, whether she considers herself an optimist and how she approaches the criticism that has accompanied her meteoric rise over the past year.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 05:46:16 PM by Tom_Mazanec »

ShortBrutishNasty

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 34
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #151 on: September 16, 2019, 05:52:50 PM »
Correction Re: Greta's Handler

In my Post #99 on Sept. 1, I published a photo (first attached below) and hastily intimated that Greta had a "handler" present with her.  After further research, it is most likely that the woman to Greta's left is actually a fairly mature-looking 14-yr old Alexandria Villasenor and definitely not Greta's handler.  (See second attached photo below; Alexandria's wiki page.)  I regret this mistake.

That being said, I remain entirely vigilant to the persons, handlers and forces who would attempt to co-opt, control, and/or completely silence Greta's message.  People who drive 5 million USD sailboats are NOT the good guys.

So two more weeks of NYC excitement.   And then...?  Everybody stay frosty.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 06:02:42 PM by ShortBrutishNasty »
Thomas Hobbes , English philosopher 1588-1679

nanning

• Nilas ice
  • 0Kg CO₂, 37 KWh/wk,125L H₂O/wk, No offspring
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 273
  • Likes Given: 23170
« Reply #152 on: September 16, 2019, 06:06:44 PM »
Thank you for that great post ShortBrutishNasty :) .

Re: extremely intelligent 16 year olds. To understand, don't think of them as children, not in the sense of not being developed. They may not have yet our detail of certain understanding of culture but their view of reality is sharper than extremely intelligent grown-ups. They are not yet blinded by what grown-ups call 'normal' without thinking about it. These young humans are used to thinking and learning. Most grown-ups are not. This is a completely new situation and the grown-ups seem stuck in their non-learning ways.
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly" - Bertrand Russell
"It is preoccupation with what other people from your groups think of you, that prevents you from living freely and nobly" - Nanning
Why do you keep accumulating stuff?

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #153 on: September 16, 2019, 06:10:21 PM »
Greta Thunberg on the Climate Fight: “If We Can Save the Banks, Then We Can Save the World”
https://theintercept.com/2019/09/13/greta-thunberg-naomi-klein-climate/
Thunberg and the many other amazing young organizers have been very clear that they do not want adults to pat them on the head and thank them for the hope infusion. They want us to join them and fight for the future alongside them. Because it is their right. And all of our duty.

VaughnAn

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 58
  • Likes Given: 445
« Reply #154 on: September 16, 2019, 06:59:02 PM »
Thank you for that great post ShortBrutishNasty :) .

Re: extremely intelligent 16 year olds. To understand, don't think of them as children, not in the sense of not being developed. They may not have yet our detail of certain understanding of culture but their view of reality is sharper than extremely intelligent grown-ups. They are not yet blinded by what grown-ups call 'normal' without thinking about it. These young humans are used to thinking and learning. Most grown-ups are not. This is a completely new situation and the grown-ups seem stuck in their non-learning ways.

If my memory serves me correctly, young children and others with certain abilities easily solve this test; many or most "normal" adults fail miserably.  Some people like Greta process information and provide much more viable solutions to problems that many "adults" have difficulty processing.  It's fun; try it a see how you do(answers below):
                            The Giraffe, Elephant, Refrigerator Logic Test

The following short quiz consists of 4 questions and will tell you whether you are qualified to be a professional. The questions are NOT that difficult.

1. How do you put a giraffe into a refrigerator?

2. How do you put an elephant into a refrigerator?

3. The Lion King is hosting an animal conference. All the animals attend.... except one. Which animal does not attend?
Correct Answer: The Elephant. The elephant is in the refrigerator. You just put him in there. This tests your memory.
Okay, even if you did not answer the first three questions correctly, you still have one more chance to show your true abilities.
4. There is a river you must cross but it is used by crocodiles, and you do not have a boat. How do you manage it?

Answers:

1.Correct Answer: Open the refrigerator, put in the giraffe, and close the door. This question tests whether you tend to do simple things in an overly complicated way.
2. Did you say, Open the refrigerator, put in the elephant, and close the refrigerator? Wrong Answer.
Correct Answer: Open the refrigerator, take out the giraffe, put in the elephant and close the door. This tests your ability to think through the repercussions of your previous actions.
3. Correct Answer: The Elephant. The elephant is in the refrigerator. You just put him in there. This tests your memory.
4. Correct Answer: You jump into the river and swim across. Have you not been listening? All the crocodiles are attending the Animal Meeting. This tests whether you learn quickly from your mistakes.

*from cloversites. com

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 16, 2019, 07:09:08 PM »
The question and answer to
"2. How do you put an elephant into a refrigerator?"
doesn't imply
"The elephant is in the refrigerator. You just put him in there"

edit: and "a refrigerator" is not the same as "the refrigerator"

(my answer to 1. and 2. were "find a really large refrigerator with huge doors")
I guess that I don't quality as a professional  :-[   :-\

Apologies being off-topic.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 05:01:07 AM by nanning »
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly" - Bertrand Russell
"It is preoccupation with what other people from your groups think of you, that prevents you from living freely and nobly" - Nanning

SATire

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #156 on: September 16, 2019, 07:11:45 PM »
So two more weeks of NYC excitement.   And then...?  Everybody stay frosty.
Canada, Chile... Greta takes 1 year off for traveling. Thus no need for planes. And way better education than any school can provide.

blumenkraft

« Reply #157 on: September 16, 2019, 07:16:09 PM »
That being said, I remain entirely vigilant to the persons, handlers and forces who would attempt to co-opt, control, and/or completely silence Greta's message.  People who drive 5 million USD sailboats are NOT the good guys.

You keep saying handlers!

I have the impression you don't really understand what you are doing.

You are questioning the independence of Greta using this word, do you understand that? You are smearing her by doing so.

Sorry man, but your regret means dogshit until you stop talking about her like this.

This is not about a boat!

Florifulgurator

• Grease ice
  • Virtual world alter ego / अवतार of Martin Gisser
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 236
  • Likes Given: 365
« Reply #158 on: September 16, 2019, 09:54:28 PM »
Please enlighten me too
Greta's handler is the radical climate scientist Kevin Anderson. Somewhere in her interview Amy Goodman explains that Anderson urged Amy to give more time to Greta and not to him.

"Radical climate scientist" is of course joking.

(Sorry, I bet it's in the latest interview. Can't find the time of it right now. I re-listened yesterday to post it here - but then I forgot about it. Not in the mood to listen to the whole thing a 3rd time :) Later. First for the press conference posted here. Thanks for posting!)

"The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or committed communist, but rather people for whom the difference between facts and fiction, true and false, no longer exists." ~ Hannah Arendt
"Вчи українську це тобі ще знадобиться" ~ Internet

zufall

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 50
  • Likes Given: 58
« Reply #159 on: September 16, 2019, 10:05:33 PM »
In the video, GT explains that she frequently calls or texts several climate scientists, including Anderson, in order to ensure that she doesn't make factual errors, and that they always respond quickly. Which is of course not "handling" in the sense of directing someone. It's only logical.

Florifulgurator

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: September 16, 2019, 10:16:10 PM »
That being said, I remain entirely vigilant to the persons, handlers and forces who would attempt to co-opt, control, and/or completely silence Greta's message.
Her message is mostly science. How to control that? Granted, someone might give her stupid ideas about politics. But her's is a science and fact brain and she very much looks like she understands this danger.

Greta is the handler, from mom and dad to the sailboat folks. I might be more worried about Greta mis-handling someone else or the wrong people:

People who drive 5 million USD sailboats are NOT the good guys.
The bad ones would invest the millions into a mainstream sailboat. But this one was no boat for the decadent. The guys here are dedicated freaks. I would have done like Greta. Maybe she just said "Eff the nitpicking, lets have some adventure!"

------------------------------------

<edit Neven: Someone asked me to remove this video because it's misogynistic and sexually degrading, and therefore not suited in a thread about a young girl. I do not entirely agree because it's about shaming climate risk deniers and I don't know the context, as I don't watch GoT. But I do find GoT tasteless and stupid like other sadistic series as The Walking Dead and so on, and so that should be enough reasons all in all to remove the video. Martin has made his point.>
Yeah. Indeed. Sorry about that. (Should have tried harder to find a shorter less offensive snippet, or the satire ad - or just forget it.)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 10:35:28 PM by Florifulgurator »
"The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or committed communist, but rather people for whom the difference between facts and fiction, true and false, no longer exists." ~ Hannah Arendt

bligh8

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 56
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #161 on: September 17, 2019, 06:11:43 PM »
Brands Including Lush, Patagonia, and Outdoor Voices Are Joining Greta Thunberg in the Climate Strike 2019

Select quotes 

If you're joining the worldwide Climate Strike, which kicks off on September 20, some of your favorite brands and retailers may be striking right alongside you. The strike, which begins three days before the UN Climate Summit, is meant to call attention to the climate crisis and "demand climate justice for everyone." The Climate Strike will be taking place all over the world throughout the week and is led by inspiring young activists like Greta Thunberg who are concerned about the future of our environment.

Fast Company reports that Ben and Jerry's ice cream shops and their corporate office will be closed during the strike so their employees can join in, while Lush is temporarily closing its 250 stores in the United States and Canada in solidarity.

Patagonia wrote about the strike and the young activists leading the charge on its blog, The Cleanest Line. "The great climate strike that will take place around the world this Friday has its roots in the efforts of junior high and high school students, with more than a few elementary school students thrown in," wrote environmentalist and author Bill McKibben. "I’ve gotten to know many of them—not just Greta Thunberg, but also the young people on every continent who are carrying out the same noble work

Dozens of other brands are participating in the strikes, including Dr. Bronner's, Eileen Fisher, Opening Ceremony, Outdoor Voices, Seventh Generation, and Thinx, according to Fast Company. And the strike isn't limited to clothing stores and brands; digital companies like Tumblr and Imgur are participating too.

https://www.teenvogue.com/story/brands-joining-greta-thunberg-climate-strike-2019

bligh

Florifulgurator

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 17, 2019, 08:28:48 PM »
Latest Amy Goodman interview:

Naomi Klein: Greta Thunberg Is a “Prophetic Voice” in Fight for Climate Justice

Renowned activist, author and professor Naomi Klein discusses the importance of youth voices, including 16-year-old Swedish climate activist Greta Thunberg, in communicating the urgency of the climate justice movement. Klein’s new book, “On Fire: The (Burning) Case for a Green New Deal,” addresses the necessity of structural change to combat rising global temperatures and climate injustices. Klein praises Greta for her “moral clarity” as one of many youth voices that “burst through the bureaucratic language with which we shield ourselves from the reality of the stakes, the extraordinary stakes, of our moment in history.”

Transcript: https://www.democracynow.org/2019/9/17/naomi_klein_greta_thunberg_youth_activists

--------------------------
Interesting tidbit: Who has most influence on the elderly conservative climate denier? Their teenage daughters.

Dangerous wörd: "prophetic". Meaning here: Having the charisma and moral depth and clarity of a prophet.
Here in Germany there was some fuss in March when a Greens politician called Greta a prophet:
https://www.kirche-duisburg.de/1739kanzelredekge.php

Florifulgurator

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 17, 2019, 11:08:06 PM »

SATire

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 17, 2019, 11:14:37 PM »
Brands Including Lush, Patagonia, and Outdoor Voices Are Joining Greta Thunberg in the Climate Strike 2019
This is very positive. Also here companies join Greta's Friday for Future - today 1800 companies committed to strike next Friday (including mine, but I will not disclose which): https://klima-streik.net/liste-der-unternehmen/

I want to cite Greta: "Activism works.",  "see you on the street."

September 20th is the next Friday.

ShortBrutishNasty

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: September 18, 2019, 01:38:08 AM »
We're getting close, boys and girls!!!  Stay frosty!

From schools.nyc.gov:

Student Absences During Climate Strike on September 20, 2019

On Friday, September 20, students may decide to participate in the Climate Strike, a youth-organized event for action against climate change.

The Department of Education (DOE) will excuse absences of students participating in the Climate Strike on Friday 9/20, provided students have parental consent. Younger students can only leave school with a parent. Here is additional important guidance:

Both partial and full day absences will be considered excused with parental permission.

There will be no disciplinary consequences for excused absences.

Elementary school students need to be signed out by parents or guardians if they wish to participate in the walkout.

Parents giving permission for their child to be absent should notify schools in the same manner they normally would based on the school’s established attendance protocol (e.g., in writing, by phone, etc.).

If a student is present for a portion of the day, they are considered present for the day and absent for any class periods not attended.

If a middle or high school student participates in the strike without parental permission, the student’s absence will not be excused.

If students leave school for a portion of the day without parental permission, their absence from the class periods they miss will be unexcused. 

Read more about attendance policies at the DOE.

Participation in the walkout is an individual decision, and we encourage your family to discuss your plans ahead of time.

Please contact your school with any questions about attendance protocol. You can find your child's school contact information by using Find a School.

###

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: September 18, 2019, 04:54:38 AM »
Thanks ShortBrutishNasty.

I have full respect for and want to wish strength to the heroic participating young people without parental permission.
They will be disciplined while the others will not. Very unfair imo!

SATire

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: September 18, 2019, 09:17:51 AM »
I have full respect for and want to wish strength to the heroic participating young people without parental permission.
They will be disciplined while the others will not. Very unfair imo!
If you would have a daugther of that age you could know: Those uncooperative parents are going to face some serious activism at home soon. Gretas' superpower turns the kids into Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Veggies disciplining their nasty parents until they abstain from air planes, SUV and beef and find themselfs on the streets on Fridays, too  8)

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1012
  • Likes Given: 1034
« Reply #168 on: September 18, 2019, 09:57:44 AM »
I guess those children could then be accused (by some) of being their parent's 'handlers' ? .. pc b.c.
Conflict is the root of all evil , for being blind it does not see whom it attacks . Yet it always attacks the Son Of God , and the Son of God is you .

blumenkraft

« Reply #169 on: September 18, 2019, 12:48:53 PM »
LOL

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #170 on: September 18, 2019, 01:54:14 PM »
Wouldn’t it be great if Greta were a poster here?

Alexander555

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 185
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #171 on: September 18, 2019, 02:13:46 PM »
You know what is strange. That Greta makes me smile in the same way Trump does. And i hope i don't offend Greta, because they are different. But deep inside, they both make me smile a little. Some kind of nasty smile

blumenkraft

« Reply #172 on: September 18, 2019, 04:31:01 PM »
OMG 🤦

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: September 18, 2019, 05:03:43 PM »
Greta and I share another very important characteristic I think: We ignore group behaviour.

I can't really describe how that one characteristic makes such a big difference to you as a person. Observations and experience.

blumenkraft

« Reply #174 on: September 18, 2019, 05:46:47 PM »
Wouldn’t it be great if Greta were a poster here?

Imagine she would read SS-Alexanders comment. We have a word for that in German: "Fremdschämen". It describes the feeling when you are ashamed for the pathetic actions/statement of others.

We ignore group behaviour.

I know, but i would still feel this shame.

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: September 18, 2019, 05:59:49 PM »
In Dutch it is called "plaatsvervangende schaamte".

I don't have that shame but understand what you mean. But Greta is probably used to those utterings and can differentiate ;D.

blumenkraft

« Reply #176 on: September 18, 2019, 06:05:38 PM »
You got to love Dutch. It's the cutest language. :)

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #177 on: September 18, 2019, 06:43:49 PM »
And I missed speaking Dutch by one branch on the language tree!

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #178 on: September 18, 2019, 08:10:36 PM »
Climate activist Greta Thunberg used her superpower of shaming adults on Senate Democrats
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2019/9/17/20870760/greta-thunberg-climate-change-youth-strike-senate-democrats
“Please save your praise, we don’t want it,” said Thunberg, the 16-year-old Swede who has become the most recognizable and influential face of the youth climate movement. “Don’t invite us here to tell us how inspiring we are without doing anything about it. We don’t want to be invited to these kinds of meetings because, honestly, they don’t lead to anything.”

MyACIsDying

« Reply #179 on: September 19, 2019, 05:59:16 PM »
rboyd referred to the manufacturing of consent earlier, I'm guessing based on this article:
https://www.globalresearch.ca/saving-the-earth-or-saving-capitalism-the-inconvenient-truth-behind-todays-youth-climate-campaigns/5667343

I read the entire 5 acts of Cory Morningstars report and can see the point made quite clearly:
Greta is promoted by NGO's, run by the rich and promoting capitalist solutions (Green New Deal..)
I'm quite sure she wouldn't have become a superstar if it wasn't for their promotion.

Are those promoting NGO's handlers? Not really.. just opportunists I think.

But now the problem. Climate change is real, abrupt change even worse. We do need to take action, and most of what Greta says is good and in that line. However, the funding, the support of capitalist solutions is indeed not very helpful and I guess this is what Franzen was referring to in his piece.

Then there's the drive towards declaring an emergency. Earlier I caught up with Stephen West's Philosophize This podcast on Carl Schmitt... his main point being how liberal democracy will cause general apathy, make people sitting ducks for fascist takeovers, and requiring the government to upend the constitution by declaring emergencies whenever they need to action on  swift changes, essentially making it a dictatorship whenever needed in the end anyway.

I can well imagine that as the first part of Schmitt's theory is coming to fruition, the need for such emergency take-over becomes all the more pressing lest thing go out of control politically. Is Greta being used here?

To be clear: BAU is going to be deadly for sure, change needs to happen, but if our only leaders are $ & establishment approved spokespeople, is that right?

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1153
  • Likes Given: 430
« Reply #180 on: September 19, 2019, 07:30:05 PM »
Greta Thunberg is not alone
As she tours Washington, Thunberg proves she isn’t a lone voice but a messenger for a growing movement.
Across the Atlantic, the diminutive but powerful teenager has used her skills of shaming adults to secure commitments from leaders in Britain, Germany, and the EU to accelerate efforts to decarbonize their countries. As part of her efforts to do the same in the US, she and other youth activists from groups including Zero Hour and the Global Alliance of Territorial Communities met with House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) on Wednesday and presented a set of demands, including a call to support a Green New Deal. Youth climate activists also met with Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-NY).

“[Pelosi] was really very, very supportive of what we were asking her to do,” Zero Hour activist Anaiah Thomas. “Sometimes you feel like when you’re talking to politicians you feel like they don’t hear you, but the Speaker listened to us, she gave us time to respond.”

A Pelosi spokesman told Vox the speaker’s meeting with activists was lengthy and ran over the allotted time, as she wanted to hear from each of the 25 or so activists there.
While Thunberg met with former President Barack Obama, she did not meet with President Donald Trump, who is a climate denier, or other Republican leaders. Instead, Thunberg and others protested outside the White House. ...
https://www.vox.com/2019/9/19/20873043/greta-thunberg-climate-activism-washington-sunrise

Wonder if Fox News covered the protest.  That’s probably the only way Trump would happen to see it.
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #181 on: September 19, 2019, 11:14:36 PM »
Greta isn't trying to influence an American Presidential Election is she?
Don't tell the Feds or she could be sharing a cell with Ms. Butina! ;D

I'm sure her "handlers" have all the necessary lobbying certifications in place, but her henchman's Pro-Pelosi screed may well have upset both Republicans & Progressive Democrats. A comforting embrace by "Uncle Creepy" Joe Biden may be the price she'll have to pay. :P

Will she escape through our "Porous Southern Border" TM, or will she be held in one of The Trumpster's "Children's Detention Camps", where Republicans demonstrate that they are capable of raising children in an almost carbon neutral environment simply by locking them up and ignoring their cries when heating and cooling are not provided.

Foreigners holding protest movements outside the White House are sometimes dealt with rather harshly. Perhaps her cherubic good looks will protect her from those whose livelihood is derived from protecting the POTUS from enemies both foreign and domestic.
Terry ::)

Florifulgurator

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 20, 2019, 02:54:35 AM »
Greta Thunberg is not alone
As she tours Washington, Thunberg proves she isn’t a lone voice but a messenger for a growing movement.
Yeah. One of those impressively serious local kids was first mistaken for Greta's handler when she landed in New York :)
14-yr old Alexandria Villasenor

In the Congressional hearing she was with other great youth growing old over the climate catastrophe. The following complete video of that is seriously mistitled:

It is tempting to suggest a poll:
 Who of those kids looks most "handled" to you?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 05:00:47 PM by Florifulgurator »

ShortBrutishNasty

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 20, 2019, 07:15:44 PM »
Another Guardian-produced 4-minute vid uploaded yesterday featuring Greta and George Monbiot:

Our house is on fire.  Are we getting any traction?  How's that School Strike today going??

ShortBrutishNasty

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 20, 2019, 09:43:04 PM »
Is this irony?

Poor kids in the Houston Independent School District were unable to participate in Greta's School Strike for Climate today (Sept 20) because of Imelda.  Maybe next Friday??

https://www.khou.com/article/news/local/hisd-responds-to-criticism-for-not-closing-schools/285-8c372f4e-e968-458a-ad0f-e5fb21228dbd

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #185 on: September 20, 2019, 10:16:50 PM »
Is this irony?

Poor kids in the Houston Independent School District were unable to participate in Greta's School Strike for Climate today (Sept 20) because of Imelda.  Maybe next Friday??

https://www.khou.com/article/news/local/hisd-responds-to-criticism-for-not-closing-schools/285-8c372f4e-e968-458a-ad0f-e5fb21228dbd
At the very least the schools could have remained open for those that were protesting with their absence. :o
Terry

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #186 on: September 20, 2019, 11:49:16 PM »
Students are fighting climate change, one TikTok video at a time
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-09-19/tiktok-youth-led-climate-activism-school-strike/11520474
TikTok is popular because, for now, it requires a form of insider knowledge to understand. Dr Abidin calls it "silo social".

And that helps if you're trying to convince a very specific under-18 audience to get involved in environmental advocacy.

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #187 on: September 20, 2019, 11:58:25 PM »
Greta Thunberg Can't Stop Roasting Congress
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/kz43aw/greta-thunberg-cant-stop-roasting-congress
“Just another perspective — I’m from Sweden. It’s a small country. And there, it is the same argument: ‘Why should we do anything? Just look at the U.S.,’ they say,” Thunberg said quietly, to laughs and applause. “So, just so you know, that is being used against you as well.”

and
Greta Thunberg to U.S. Congress on climate change: 'Wake up'
http://news.trust.org/item/20190918153244-4a87i/
She began with a pointed message before a U.S. congressional hearing: "I don't want you to listen to me. I want you to listen to the scientists."
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 12:56:05 AM by Tom_Mazanec »

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 21, 2019, 04:47:48 PM »
Conor O'Neill (@conoraon) 9/20/19, 10:58 AM
The scale of what @GretaThunberg is achieving is genuinely incredible. This is her, sat alone outside the Swedish Parliament, Aug 2018 - the first school strike. Today she's spearheading a #ClimateStrike of millions of people, across 7 continents & 150+ countries. At 16. Legend!
https://twitter.com/conoraon/status/1175061653899096073

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: September 21, 2019, 10:17:53 PM »
Why is Greta Thunberg so triggering for certain men?
This shouldn’t need to be spelled out, but as some people don’t seem to have grasped it yet, we’ll give it a lash: Thunberg’s trip was an act of protest, not a sacred commandment or an instruction manual for the rest of us. Like all acts of protest, it was designed to be symbolic and provocative. For those who missed the point – and oh, how they missed the point – she retweeted someone else’s “friendly reminder” that: “You don’t need to spend two weeks on a boat to do your part to avert our climate emergency. You just need to do everything you can, with everyone you can, to change everything you can.”
https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/why-is-greta-thunberg-so-triggering-for-certain-men-1.4002264

Alexander555

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 185
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #190 on: September 21, 2019, 10:19:55 PM »
Did it started like that ? With her only.

SATire

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 21, 2019, 11:26:54 PM »
Did it started like that ? With her only.
yes

SATire

• Grease ice
    • View Profile

blumenkraft

« Reply #193 on: September 23, 2019, 06:23:10 PM »
Bild.de? SATire how dare you?? :P

Florifulgurator

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: September 23, 2019, 07:11:07 PM »

SATire

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: September 23, 2019, 07:13:08 PM »
The times, they are changing...
Bild Features Gretas' emotional speach.

Florifulgurator

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: September 23, 2019, 07:13:58 PM »
The times, they are changing...
Nope. Not in Germany. We now have the Klimapillepallekanzlerin Angela Merkel. (I haven't followed the Bild reporting on Greta and friends. Looks like this toilet paper had its best days. Who needs Bild when you have the Internets.)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 07:41:41 PM by Florifulgurator »

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 23, 2019, 07:27:28 PM »
Copied from the ASLR thread:
While I concur with Thunberg's statement to the U.N., I am concerned that young people still have a way to go (a ways to go) before they fully understand the extent of betrayal of coming generations by current (& past) global decision makers:

Title: "Greta Thunberg to world leaders: "You are failing us" on climate change"

https://www.axios.com/climate-change-greta-thunberg-speech-un-873a3fd2-6288-4a89-9320-1e3cedb4566f.html

Extract: "Thunberg, who is usually not especially emotive when she talks, was uniquely emotional in this speech, notably tearing up and showing anger. "You are failing us, but the young people are starting to understand your betrayal," Thunberg said.

•   "We will not let you get away with this.""

This brought tears to my eyes. Strongly recommended. Her emotions are real.

"BREAKING: Greta Thunberg delivers impassioned plea to world leaders at the Climate Summit during the United Nations General Assembly." (4m31)

« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 07:44:46 PM by nanning »

Florifulgurator

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: September 23, 2019, 08:01:52 PM »
Wow.

Looks like she has grown quite a bit in several respects since last year. (But me no expert. Never had much opportunity to watch a girl grow up - and this is quite a special specimen :) )

--------------
P.S.:
Wow again. This look that says just one thing, "assholes!". No longer the little girl from Katowice.

--------------
P.P.S.: Dr. h.c. Mars J.P. Florifulgurator sees considerable work of brain plasticity. Stuff like Asperger's can be worked out if the brain is offered some f-in opportunity of work-out. Too often grown-ups all around mess that up. Luckily Greta had two weeks on the Atlantic. Time, Space & Brainlard are relative.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 08:33:48 PM by Florifulgurator »

Florifulgurator

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: September 23, 2019, 10:27:36 PM »
Greta sees the big ape in the zoo...