Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Greta Thunberg's Atlantic crossing  (Read 80260 times)

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1012
  • Likes Given: 1034
Re: Greta Thunberg's Atlantic crossing
« Reply #200 on: September 23, 2019, 11:23:36 PM »
A line I wrote in 1979 ..

'' we reap our vengeance
On the off-spring we no longer know or care
Daring them to argue with our false philosophy '' .

It feels like the tables have begun turning .

I love you Greta  :) .. b.c.
Conflict is the root of all evil , for being blind it does not see whom it attacks . Yet it always attacks the Son Of God , and the Son of God is you .

ShortBrutishNasty

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 34
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #201 on: September 23, 2019, 11:58:44 PM »
Wow. 

While Greta let it hang out at the UN, the DC folks got into the action, too.

Color me surprised.

Let's see how long this plays out....

https://www.strikedc.org/

and

https://wtop.com/local/2019/09/shut-down-dc-climate-change-protest-could-disrupt-monday-morning-commute/
Thomas Hobbes , English philosopher 1588-1679

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1047
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #202 on: September 24, 2019, 07:02:07 AM »
America's Finest News Source: USA perplexed by teen's distaste for apocalypse

"they were perplexed by Swedish climate activist Greta Thunberg, a 16-year-old who apparently has no desire to see the world end. "

"confusion reportedly shared by millions of Americans who recalled that during their own adolescence they had hated the world and everyone in it and had felt the end couldn’t come fast enough. "

https://www.theonion.com/nation-perplexed-by-16-year-old-who-doesn-t-want-world-1838374925

That cuts to the quick. I wonder how many people in the USA  wish for apocalypse because it's better that what they got.

sidd

Pmt111500

« Reply #203 on: September 24, 2019, 12:25:14 PM »
Knowing there are people who dislike Greta in Trumpistan, she'd do well to have bodyguards and some support from the intelligence community during her visit to the state.

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 602
  • Likes Given: 409
« Reply #204 on: September 24, 2019, 01:03:08 PM »
"A force de chercher de bonnes raisons, on en trouve; on les dit; et après on y tient, non pas tant parce qu'elles sont bonnes que pour ne pas se démentir." Choderlos de Laclos "You struggle to come up with some valid reasons, then cling to them, not because they're good, but just to not back down."

Pmt111500

« Reply #205 on: September 24, 2019, 01:58:24 PM »

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1153
  • Likes Given: 430
« Reply #206 on: September 24, 2019, 05:49:16 PM »
Greta Thunberg Evil-Eyeing Trump At UN Summit Is The Internet’s Hottest New GIF
If looks could kill, we’d be looking for a new president right now.
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/greta-thunberg-donald-trump-un-climate-summit-stare_n_5d8947bce4b0d26946530b3b
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5289
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #207 on: September 24, 2019, 07:23:33 PM »
America's Finest News Source: USA perplexed by teen's distaste for apocalypse

"they were perplexed by Swedish climate activist Greta Thunberg, a 16-year-old who apparently has no desire to see the world end. "

"confusion reportedly shared by millions of Americans who recalled that during their own adolescence they had hated the world and everyone in it and had felt the end couldn’t come fast enough. "

https://www.theonion.com/nation-perplexed-by-16-year-old-who-doesn-t-want-world-1838374925

That cuts to the quick. I wonder how many people in the USA  wish for apocalypse because it's better that what they got.

sidd
they had hated the world and everyone in it and had felt the end couldn’t come fast enough.

I thought I was in my 2nd childhood - and now I know I have been a stroppy teenager all my life.

And I've just proved it, making this thread all about me, me, me
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #208 on: September 24, 2019, 08:32:39 PM »
“Listen to the Kids”: Millions Turn Out for Global Climate Strike
https://therevelator.org/climate-strike-photos/
In August 2018 Swedish teenager Greta Thunberg stood alone outside the Swedish parliament with a sign that said “Skolstrejk för klimatet.” On Friday 4 million people across the world joined her and walked out of their schools, jobs and homes and into the streets for a global Climate Strike.

New York, which hosted Thunberg, saw an estimated 250,000 show up. “If you belong to that small group of people who feel threatened by us, we have some very bad news for you, because this is only the beginning,” Thunberg told the crowd.

'We See Your Greed': Global Climate Strike Draws Millions Demanding Action
https://insideclimatenews.org/news/20092019/we-see-your-greed-global-climate-strike-draws-millions-young-people-demanding-action
Millions of young people took to the world's cities Friday, flooding streets, blocking traffic and skipping school to take part in what is believed to be the biggest global climate protest in history.

The Youth Climate Strike drew potentially record crowds in several cities. In Australia, nearly 200,000 people protested in Melbourne and Sydney. Hundreds of thousands more—in Islamabad, Nairobi, Berlin, London, La Paz, New York, and as many as 1,500 other cities on every continent—joined in a global plea for elected leaders and governments to take action on the climate crisis.

Greta Thunberg’s speech on climate change: ‘How dare you?’
https://www.al.com/news/2019/09/greta-thunbergs-speech-on-climate-change-how-dare-you.html
"This is all wrong," said Thunberg, who was visibly emotional as she spoke on a panel at a U.N. climate summit Monday. With tears in her eyes and her face flushed, the 16-year-old activist - who began skipping school in her native Sweden a year ago to protest inaction on climate change - chastised the world leaders who had gathered in New York.

Why Greta Makes Adults Uncomfortable
https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2019/09/why-greta-wins/598612/
Last week I had the chance to meet the girl behind the image. She is, thankfully, still a person. And she is even more than that: She’s a teenager.

In fact, I think her extreme teenager-ness may be key to her influence. 
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 10:01:08 PM by Tom_Mazanec »

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: September 25, 2019, 02:01:45 AM »
George Takei (@GeorgeTakei) 9/24/19, 3:08 PM
Trump tweeted, with his usual sneering nastiness, that Greta Thunberg seems like "a very happy young girl looking forward to a bright and wonderful future." So she changed her Twitter profile to this.

I am, as the kids say, "deceased" over this.
https://twitter.com/georgetakei/status/1176574146358255624

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #210 on: September 25, 2019, 06:16:28 PM »
You know the people who really impress me? The adults who take off work and sacrifice eight hours wages for this cause, even more than the ones who are kids who get permission slips from their parents.

etienne

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • About energy
  • Liked: 309
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #211 on: September 25, 2019, 08:45:06 PM »
You know the people who really impress me? The adults who take off work and sacrifice eight hours wages for this cause, even more than the ones who are kids who get permission slips from their parents.
Well, I have enough overtime to get from time to time a free afternoon without having to go on the holidays account.

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: September 26, 2019, 12:32:23 AM »
America's Finest News Source: Democrats sympathize with Thunberg

“Yet again, we have seen the cruel and vindictive nature of a president who thinks it’s acceptable to hurl schoolyard taunts at this wonderful young woman instead of acting very interested in what she has to say and then doing nothing whatsoever about it,”

"the next time you want to speak to leaders who could benefit from being associated with climate activism, the Democratic party is here for you as long as the cameras are rolling and not a second longer."

https://politics.theonion.com/democrats-criticize-trump-for-attacking-greta-thunberg-1838410351

sidd

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #213 on: September 26, 2019, 01:07:34 AM »
^^
They'll even smile during the obligatory photo op. :)
Terry

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: September 26, 2019, 09:05:12 PM »
 ;D Spot on! ;D

"Children acting like adults can make adults act like children..."
Mark Humphries (@markhumphries) 9/26/19, 7:10 AM
THE GRETA THUNBERG HELPLINE:
For adults angry at a child.
https://twitter.com/markhumphries/status/1177178666402365440
“Because when it comes to climate change, we all know she’s the real problem.”
2 minute video at the link.

blumenkraft

« Reply #215 on: September 26, 2019, 09:13:03 PM »
That video is amazing. Thanks for sharing, Sigmetnow!

rboyd

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 226
  • Likes Given: 52
« Reply #216 on: September 28, 2019, 01:56:11 AM »
Listen to the Children - Severn Cullis-Suzuki's famous speech on the environment (1992)

This is from 1992, a child's speech to the UN on the environment in Rio. Sounds a lot like Greta. The adults listened and then went off and made things much worse (apart from "fixing" the ozone hole).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=5&v=JGdS8ts63Ck

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #217 on: September 28, 2019, 03:54:13 AM »
^^
I'd been wondering if anyone remembered Suzuki's daughter lecturing the UN when she was 12 or so.
Made a few waves, but was pretty much forgotten by the time Greta reprised it.
Terry

Juan C. García

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1279
  • Likes Given: 1127
« Reply #218 on: September 28, 2019, 05:10:41 AM »
Now that we are remembering children defending the environment, I am always impressed by this video, made especially for the Paris Agreement (a lot like Greta):

Going back on topic...
Which is the best answer to Sep-2012 ASI lost (compared to 1979-2000)?
50% [NSIDC Extent] or
73% [PIOMAS Volume]

Volume is harder to measure than extent, but 3-dimensional space is real, 2D's hide ~50% thickness gone.
-> IPCC/NSIDC trends [based on extent] underestimate the real speed of ASI lost.

nanning

• Nilas ice
  • 0Kg CO₂, 37 KWh/wk,125L H₂O/wk, No offspring
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 273
  • Likes Given: 23170
« Reply #219 on: September 28, 2019, 06:37:53 AM »
Thank you for sharing that Juan.
From the short video:

"Why not"?     "What are you afraid of"?        Some of the most difficult questions to answer for our 'leaders'.

Trying to answer these questions is going to give them a hell of a lot of stress and headscratching, because, they must think of themselves as 'sane'. But there are absolutely no sane answers to those questions.

Their brains hold strong contradicting believes.
Can cognitive dissonances grow so bad that they'll explode your head?

They have to come to the conclusion that they are 'not sane' at all, or keep on lying.
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly" - Bertrand Russell
"It is preoccupation with what other people from your groups think of you, that prevents you from living freely and nobly" - Nanning
Why do you keep accumulating stuff?

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: September 28, 2019, 07:33:54 AM »
A beautiful short compilation of Greta's actions:
Everytime I watch and hear her words and emotions, I get emotional myself. Holding back the tears.

(found in https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/sep/27/greta-thunberg-justin-trudeau-meeting-climate-strikes)

(2m05)
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly" - Bertrand Russell
"It is preoccupation with what other people from your groups think of you, that prevents you from living freely and nobly" - Nanning

Florifulgurator

• Grease ice
  • Virtual world alter ego / अवतार of Martin Gisser
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 236
  • Likes Given: 365
« Reply #221 on: September 28, 2019, 02:22:39 PM »
Greta a climate debate tipping point?

Former EPA administrator Gina McCarthy with Bill Maher:
"The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or committed communist, but rather people for whom the difference between facts and fiction, true and false, no longer exists." ~ Hannah Arendt
"Вчи українську це тобі ще знадобиться" ~ Internet

blumenkraft

« Reply #222 on: September 28, 2019, 02:42:48 PM »
Regina McCarthy (born May 3, 1954) is an American environmental health and air quality expert who served as the 13th Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) from 2013 to 2017

...becoming the face of Obama's global warming and climate change initiative.

Link >> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gina_McCarthy

But:

Perhaps she should have done something about it while in office?

What is the purpose of these people now sitting in talkshows other than asking them why they did nothing?

Florifulgurator

• Grease ice
  • Virtual world alter ego / अवतार of Martin Gisser
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 236
  • Likes Given: 365
« Reply #223 on: September 28, 2019, 02:44:39 PM »
;D Spot on! ;D

"Children acting like adults can make adults act like children..."
Mark Humphries (@markhumphries) 9/26/19, 7:10 AM
THE GRETA THUNBERG HELPLINE:
For adults angry at a child.
https://twitter.com/markhumphries/status/1177178666402365440
“Because when it comes to climate change, we all know she’s the real problem.”
2 minute video at the link.

Yeah. I said it some time ago.
That's why there's some hope that Gina McCarthy is right about the climate debate tipping point: Greta is a wonderful tool to sort out the fools and psychopaths.

It's my theory (*) that Homo S Sapiens is undergoing a cultural evolutionary split into Homo Sapiens Erectus and Homo Sapiens Trumpensis. Perhaps Greta is a condensation nucleus in this evolutionary process.

Samatha Bee on Greta the scarecrow of grownups:

"And if you ever forgive us for failing you, I'll never forgive you."

----------------------------------
(*) Apropos "spot on" (2:12 ff.)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 02:51:41 PM by Florifulgurator »
"The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or committed communist, but rather people for whom the difference between facts and fiction, true and false, no longer exists." ~ Hannah Arendt
"Вчи українську це тобі ще знадобиться" ~ Internet

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: September 29, 2019, 08:47:27 AM »
Since this beautiful Guardian video is about young people, I put it here.

(3m09)

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3584
  • Likes Given: 3922
« Reply #225 on: September 29, 2019, 09:50:03 AM »
I have never seen so many articles on climate change and associated topics, as I see now. She has certainly tipped the scales. Will it help? I certainly hope so, though the old and greedy people's inertia is very strong.

etienne

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • About energy
« Reply #226 on: September 29, 2019, 10:43:19 AM »
I have never seen so many articles on climate change and associated topics, as I see now. She has certainly tipped the scales. Will it help? I certainly hope so, though the old and greedy people's inertia is very strong.
I'm worried that it might only support greenBAU, excepted if people would really start to reduce their consumption, but I don't feel that many people get the point.

"If you don't know how to fix it, please stop breaking it." That's from Severn Cullis Suzuki, 12 years old at the Earth Summit, 1992 in Rio. Thanks to Terry for giving the info.

rboyd

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: September 29, 2019, 09:12:46 PM »
I'm worried that it might only support greenBAU, excepted if people would really start to reduce their consumption, but I don't feel that many people get the point.

"If you don't know how to fix it, please stop breaking it." That's from Severn Cullis Suzuki, 12 years old at the Earth Summit, 1992 in Rio. Thanks to Terry for giving the info.

I think that you have a very good point. GreenBAU can also include massive geo-engineering such as Solar Radiation Management, and massive industrial scale efforts to "recycle" emitted carbon dioxide - all good profitable opportunities. "Saving the Planet" can take many forms. This is the worry that I have about Extinction Rebellion, they end up supplying the overlying narrative for further industrializing the planet rather than propose solutions. "Just fix it" may be ambiguous enough for a "big tent" movement, but can then be used by economic elites for their own beneficial (and incredibly risky) answers. Anything but actually reducing elite consumption and wealth.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: September 30, 2019, 02:12:43 AM »
Schwarzenegger arranged for Thunberg to have a Tesla Model 3 at her disposal as she made her way from the United States to a climate rally in Montreal, ensuring that she could get around in as environmentally friendly a way as possible.

Arnold Schwarzenegger Sent Greta Thunberg an Electric Car
https://www.menshealth.com/entertainment/amp29279061/arnold-schwarzenegger-greta-thunberg-tesla/

rboyd

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: September 30, 2019, 04:44:05 AM »
A Yacht built for a Rothschild and now earned by the Grimaldi family dynasty (the Grimaldis that have ruled Monaco since the 14th century and are worth about $1 billion), a Tesla from Schwarzenegger (worth about $400 million), Greta is certainly blessed with elite connections. Pure hypocrisy for the elites, given their massive personal consumption and wealth all dependent on fossil fuels. No real change comes from such elite supported "revolutionaries".

bluice

« Reply #230 on: September 30, 2019, 06:06:28 AM »
A Yacht built for a Rothschild and now earned by the Grimaldi family dynasty (the Grimaldis that have ruled Monaco since the 14th century and are worth about $1 billion), a Tesla from Schwarzenegger (worth about $400 million), Greta is certainly blessed with elite connections. Pure hypocrisy for the elites, given their massive personal consumption and wealth all dependent on fossil fuels. No real change comes from such elite supported "revolutionaries".
The optimist in me likes to think these rich and powerful folks want to jump Greta’s bandwagon because they like her message and they see her as a potential catalyst for change.

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: September 30, 2019, 06:49:56 AM »
Good old Arnold isn't such a bad guy I think. A bit smarter than the rest but he is caught in the groupbehaviour of the very rich and powerful and addicted to being affluent. Is he honest? Difficult to see.
I liked this interview from 28 may:
(16m05)

rboyd

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: September 30, 2019, 07:19:01 AM »
The optimist in me likes to think these rich and powerful folks want to jump Greta’s bandwagon because they like her message and they see her as a potential catalyst for change.

Greta is in a feel good video pushing "natural climate solutions" which is really the "natural capital solutions" with a more cuddly name - i.e. the privatization of nature and the failed REDD (polluters buy carbon offsets rather than actually cut emissions, usually on highly questionable sequestration claims) on steroids in the name of ecosystem services to be implemented at the upcoming 2020 UN conference on Biodiversity.

This is the "Extinction Revolution"?, you (and Greta unfortunately) are being played by the elites. Its the classic redirection of popular energy into meaningless avenues, or even into ones that benefit those elites. Lots of money to be made in ecosystem services, and lots of opportunities for the greenwashing of big polluters. Also, lots of possibilities for throwing poor people of their lands in the name of "saving forests" and conservation.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/sep/19/greta-thunberg-we-are-ignoring-natural-climate-solutions

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: September 30, 2019, 08:32:21 AM »
^^
Nice short video, together with George Monbiot, whom I trust.

In my view, they don't lauch the solution (planting trees) but the first step; a path to a solution. Planting trees means going outside and meeting other people. Outside in the fields sharing the work and cooperating, getting 'dirty'. This has an enormous potential for social reconnection and shared wisdom and knowledge. To go outside of your groups, your 'comfortzone'. To meet people different from you and unite. When that happens, the chance to get meaningful change increases considerably.

Because of my observations of current civilisation, I doubt that humans still have the ability to reconnect, to unite. There seems to be in general no survival instinct, no mother instinct, strong egocentric behaviour and very low morality and empathy. I wish I were wrong.

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: September 30, 2019, 09:21:28 AM »
"Planting trees means going outside and meeting other people. Outside in the fields sharing the work and cooperating, getting 'dirty'. This has an enormous potential for social reconnection and shared wisdom and knowledge. "

Absolutely. I have planted thousands of threes in my life, many in cooperation with my neighbours, but many with people i met then for the first time. In all kindsa weather and from all walks of life. Amazing what you learn.

Just go out and talk to your neighbours is a good start. Research your local terrain, judge what is to come, and plant a tree or a hundred with your neighbours. Some of them might be, (gasp!) Trump supporters. And who knows, (heaven forfend) you might like some.

There are local restoration groups all over the place. Work with them, If there isn't one in your neighbourhood, start one. Put your signs up with the local "Lost Cats" and "Yard Sale" signs. Allah willing, you might make a friend or a dozen, find a lost cat or three. And plant a buncha trees or a rain garden or a windbreak.

sidd

SteveMDFP

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 583
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #235 on: September 30, 2019, 02:32:34 PM »
  No real change comes from such elite supported "revolutionaries".

I don't think that what history tells us.  It's been common for individuals who are catalysts for social change to often often had wealthy patrons.  Marx was supported by Engels.  Gandhi had wealthy patrons.  Buddha and his followers had wealthy patrons.  The Peasant's Revolt in England had members of the aristocracy involved.

To be sure, no such individuals who catalyzed change were supported by the powerful classes as a whole.  But there are enlightened, selfless individuals among all classes of society.  We shouldn't pigeon-hole all poor individuals as the being the same, neither should be pigeon-hole the wealthy.

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: September 30, 2019, 05:37:42 PM »
<snip>
We shouldn't pigeon-hole all poor individuals as the being the same, neither should be pigeon-hole the wealthy.

I agree, but there is this thing about personal responsibility. The part of the wealthy that has consumerist behaviour. In reality all the wealthy are not sharing and they have on average bad behaviour concerning the climate- and biocollapse- crises.
Cognitive dissonance, is that OK? Shame? Guilt? What do you think?

Edit: By wealthy I mean very rich. The worldview of the rich people changes the higher they get on the hierarchy ladder. Picking up supremacy on the way up. Wanting to belong to the 'better' and 'higher' groups.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 05:48:05 PM by nanning »

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: September 30, 2019, 05:55:44 PM »
• We need new, clean, more-energy-efficient tech to replace the dirty, inefficient fossil fuel tech we grew up on.
• New tech is more expensive than old tech.
• Someone has to pay more for the first new products, until its usefulness is proven, mass production catches up and prices become more affordable.
• Disparaging the “rich” and the “elite” for helping make new clean tech financially viable for the companies — which will eventually lead to mass production with lower costs, making the new clean tech affordable for the non-rich — is hypocritical.

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: September 30, 2019, 06:34:06 PM »
<snip>

Let's go to old tech then. Tech from before FF. Emissions problem solved. I'm serious :) .

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #239 on: September 30, 2019, 06:37:28 PM »
<snip>

Let's go to old tech then. Tech from before FF. Emissions problem solved. I'm serious :) .

Of course the world population was about 10% of the present value then.
Want to bet you will be one of the surviving 10%?

SteveMDFP

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: September 30, 2019, 07:33:29 PM »
<snip>
We shouldn't pigeon-hole all poor individuals as the being the same, neither should be pigeon-hole the wealthy.

I agree, but there is this thing about personal responsibility. The part of the wealthy that has consumerist behaviour. In reality all the wealthy are not sharing and they have on average bad behaviour concerning the climate- and biocollapse- crises.
Cognitive dissonance, is that OK? Shame? Guilt? What do you think?

Edit: By wealthy I mean very rich. The worldview of the rich people changes the higher they get on the hierarchy ladder. Picking up supremacy on the way up. Wanting to belong to the 'better' and 'higher' groups.

What poor person doesn't want to be less poor?  What middle class person doesn't want to be upper-middle class?  It's like that all the way up and down the spectrum.

I've lived among the Ivy League set and the homeless.  They're more alike than different, in many respects.  They certainly share an ignorance of and disdain for people at the opposite end of the socio-economic spectrum.

I think individuals who amass wealth approach the task much as a video game addict approaches reaching the next level on Call of Duty.  Having this kind of demanding focus doesn't tell you much about what they're like like when they're not playing their game.

I think individuals born into wealth are also diverse.  Do remember that the offspring of John D. Rockefeller divested from fossil fuels.  Being rich, even ungodly rich, does not imply a disregard for doing the right thing.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: September 30, 2019, 09:47:38 PM »
Protest.

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 602
  • Likes Given: 409
« Reply #242 on: September 30, 2019, 09:59:51 PM »
Steve writes: "We shouldn't pigeon-hole all poor individuals as the being the same..."

But then immediately turns around and pigeon-holes every poor person as being the same: "What poor person doesn't want to be less poor? "

WTF?
"A force de chercher de bonnes raisons, on en trouve; on les dit; et après on y tient, non pas tant parce qu'elles sont bonnes que pour ne pas se démentir." Choderlos de Laclos "You struggle to come up with some valid reasons, then cling to them, not because they're good, but just to not back down."

SteveMDFP

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: September 30, 2019, 10:02:08 PM »
Steve writes: "We shouldn't pigeon-hole all poor individuals as the being the same..."

But then immediately turns around and pigeon-holes every poor person as being the same: "What poor person doesn't want to be less poor? "

WTF?

The question isn't rhetorical, the answer is "most, not all."  Same for the other points on the socio-economic spectrum.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: October 08, 2019, 02:25:14 AM »
Eric Holthaus (@EricHolthaus) 10/7/19, 5:49 PM
One year ago, Greta Thunberg began a one-person school strike.
This week, she will likely win the Nobel Peace Prize.
Her message to world leaders is really a message to all of us: "Change is coming whether you like it or not."
smh.com.au/world/europe/g…
https://twitter.com/ericholthaus/status/1181325614315429888

Greta Thunberg credited with influencing outcome of Austrian election
Vienna: Two days after rallying 7 million protesters across the world by invoking the threat of climate change, Greta Thunberg was credited for motivating voters to redraw the political landscape in Austria.

After being frozen out of parliament just two years ago, the Alpine country's Greens unexpectedly tripled their support in Sunday's election to win 14 per cent of the vote, according to preliminary projections. The result sets up the group as a viable coalition partner for Sebastian Kurz's People's Party and shows how environmental concerns are moving to the top of the political agenda in Europe. ...
https://www.smh.com.au/world/europe/greta-thunberg-effect-blamed-for-surprise-austrian-election-result-20190930-p52w86.html

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: October 09, 2019, 02:50:16 AM »
Greta Thunberg Heads to Standing Rock to Support Indigenous Activists
Thunberg arrived in the U.S. in August and has since toured the country and Canada. On Sunday, she joined Iron Eyes on a panel on the climate crisis hosted by the Lakota People’s Law Project at the Pine Ridge Reservation in South Dakota where Iron Eyes lives. Thunberg will be speaking on another panel Tuesday at Standing Rock in North Dakota, the site of a seminal 2016 protest over the Dakota Access Pipeline.

Welcoming a blue-eyed European to lands that many Native Americans in the region consider sacred is no little thing. These lands were pillaged and destroyed by people who looked like Thunberg, and there’s a long history of continued racism perpetrated on tribes by white Americans. Few white folks are received with such love and gratitude as what Thunberg has seen.
First of all, Thunberg is a child. And homegirl is out here doing more than plenty of adults in the climate space. She’s a kid willing to say whatever she wants to whomever she wants (such as calling out the elite at the World Economic Forum for their role in the climate crisis in January 2019). Thunberg can get away with such bold statements, in part, because she’s this seemingly innocent-looking, blue-eyed white girl. But the teen has been clear about using her privilege to provide support and allyship to her fellow youth of color who are not media darlings. ...
https://earther.gizmodo.com/greta-thunberg-heads-to-standing-rock-to-support-indige-1838873376

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: October 09, 2019, 03:11:39 AM »
Matthew (@TorbsTalks) 10/6/19, 8:17 AM
It has been brought to my attention that @FatboySlim has mixed @GretaThunberg’s speech into “right here, right now” and it’s incredible
https://twitter.com/torbstalks/status/1180819459382169600
95-second concert-audience video at the link.

Bruce Steele

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 744
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #247 on: October 09, 2019, 03:30:19 AM »
Sig, I don’t know fat boy slim but that was quite the video !  A lot of angst though , careful with that.

etienne

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • About energy

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: October 30, 2019, 01:46:45 AM »
Teen climate change activist Greta Thunberg was awarded the 2019 Nordic Council Environment Prize, but she won't be accepting it.

Thunberg said on Instagram on Tuesday that she received the award but declined to accept it because "the climate movement does not need any more awards."

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/29/world/greta-thunberg-nordic-award-decline-trnd/index.html