Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Greta Thunberg's Atlantic crossing  (Read 80223 times)

KiwiGriff

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 710
  • Likes Given: 372
Re: Greta Thunberg's Atlantic crossing
« Reply #300 on: November 19, 2019, 07:10:13 PM »
Real communication is when I talk to you in real life with all non-verbal communication
This is how Aspie's get excluded .
We don't grok non verbal communication.  We also don't do monkey chatter.

Part of Greta's success is because she does not play the social game and kowtow to your social norms by self censoring the message.

“What would happen if the autism gene was eliminated from the gene pool?

You would have a bunch of people standing around in a cave, chatting and socializing and not getting anything done.”
― Temple Grandin,
Animals can be driven crazy by placing too many in too small a pen. Homo sapiens is the only animal that voluntarily does this to himself.
Notebooks of Lazarus Long.
Robert Heinlein.

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2041
  • Likes Given: 1986
« Reply #301 on: November 19, 2019, 07:47:43 PM »
Real communication is when I talk to you in real life with all non-verbal communication
This is how Aspie's get excluded .

That definition is how everything here gets excluded. There are different ways to communicate and they all vary in scope and effect. I much prefer forums over twitter because you can go a bit more in depth with longer messages and attachments as needed. And it has less clutter too.

None of the modern communication forms will go away so just teach wise use but that is hard because the modern facebook mobile phone like addiction thing is new to most adults too.

Then again they technically have to teach the kids that consumerism is bad while that is basically the only thing they have known...
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

SATire

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 34
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #302 on: November 19, 2019, 08:03:00 PM »
Then again they technically have to teach the kids that consumerism is bad while that is basically the only thing they have known...
That (consumerism is bad) is basically what the teens are trying to teach us adults. But they have the fear that they are to slow - they have only 10 years left to get us old convinced to getting sober (from consumerism). We are the addicted ones not the young people. Now the old and obviously not so wise people have to follow the youth (see Trump vs. Greta - he made her start FfF as she explained). Strange days.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1153
  • Likes Given: 430
« Reply #303 on: November 19, 2019, 08:16:04 PM »
Never mind “screen time.”  In a few years we can be connected directly to the internet via a neural interface like Neuralink.  Imagine learning anything you want just by thinking about it....  We’re already cyborgs, just with the electronics on the outside.

https://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php/topic,1392.msg214286.html#msg214286
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

blumenkraft

« Reply #304 on: November 19, 2019, 08:20:25 PM »
neural interface

Now we are talking!  8)

KiwiGriff

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 710
  • Likes Given: 372
« Reply #305 on: November 19, 2019, 08:47:27 PM »
None of the modern communication forms will go away so just teach wise use but that is hard because the modern facebook mobile phone like addiction thing is new to most adults too.
Yes.
 Excluding your kids from social media is like abstinence only sex education. Doomed to failure once they grow past  your influence .  Teach the critical thinking skills to sort  wheat from the monkey chatter not just hide your kids from the issues with facetwit et al .

As to neural networks .
Sorry I will give that one a miss. I  have a hard enough time coping with information overload as it is.

The internet and connection revolution is as bigger change as the written and printed word was in the past
It will take generations to discover how much this paradigm shift has changed the human condition.

Animals can be driven crazy by placing too many in too small a pen. Homo sapiens is the only animal that voluntarily does this to himself.
Notebooks of Lazarus Long.
Robert Heinlein.

etienne

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • About energy
  • Liked: 309
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #306 on: November 20, 2019, 06:37:36 AM »
Well, one of my sons had an average screen time of 5:30 hours a day, with maximums above 7. I guess you understand that I limited that. And this was only on the smartphone because he also has an Ipad for school and we have a television at home.

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #307 on: November 20, 2019, 08:09:22 AM »
Yes.
 Excluding your kids from social media is like abstinence only sex education. Doomed to failure once they grow past  your influence .  Teach the critical thinking skills to sort  wheat from the monkey chatter not just hide your kids from the issues with facetwit et al .

As to neural networks .
Sorry I will give that one a miss. I  have a hard enough time coping with information overload as it is.

The internet and connection revolution is as bigger change as the written and printed word was in the past
It will take generations to discover how much this paradigm shift has changed the human condition.

Are you familiar with Toffler's 'Third Wave'? A 'futurist' from the past.
He wrote of the 'revolution' you mention & discussed possible ramifications in depth some 40 years ago.

It still seemed fresh in the late 1990's & I've no doubt that at least some of his observations will apply to coming generations.

Carlos Slim, once the richest man in the world, attributed his success to investments based entirely on Toffler's foresight.
We may not be striving for financial gain, but examining this rapidly evolving world through the eyes of one of the first to recognise how profoundly computers were about to change the world could provide insights, even 40 years later.
Terry

rboyd

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 226
  • Likes Given: 52
« Reply #308 on: November 22, 2019, 09:40:47 AM »
I think quite a bit of crony capitalism and monopoly over-pricing for Mexican telecom services helped Mr. Slim amass his fortune.

And the picture is far from flattering. Omnipresent in the lives of Mexicans, Slim dominates a range of sectors and his fortune is estimated to be 7 percent of the GDP. A fortune that is the product of bold and intelligent decisions, but also of governments and regulators that created him. They propelled him. They protected him. More than an innovative businessman, he emerges as a Mexican prototype of the Russian oligarchs, who have multiplied their fortunes under the shadow of power. He is the main protagonist of the oligarchic capitalism in which influence peddling occupies the void left by the lack of laws and strong governments.

https://mexicovoices.blogspot.com/2015/11/mexicos-crony-capitalism-carlos-slim.html?view=magazine

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: November 22, 2019, 12:33:06 PM »
^^
I never claimed he was a nice, or even an honest person. Anyone extracting such affluence from a population often forced to skip over their northern border in an attempt to feed their family isn't deserving of much empathy.

But he was, according to his own words very impressed by Toffler's predictions.

I'd read The 3d Wave when it first came out, then again after the Soviet Empire imploded (as Toffler had predicted). He also felt that the US wouldn't survive long into the "Information Age" - I'm still holding my breath on that one. ::)
Terry

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5289
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #310 on: November 22, 2019, 12:52:18 PM »
neural interface

Now we are talking!  8)
I thought Google was interested in neural in-yer-face. Google will use my data as analysed by AI and flog it to all and sundry and, worse still, to modify my thoughts by guiding my search results to the sites that reflect "Google Family Values", of which XR is not one.
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #311 on: November 22, 2019, 01:43:58 PM »
When Future Shock came out I read it straight in one sitting, a whole day. I was 12. Very big impression.

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: November 22, 2019, 03:28:58 PM »
^^
Chomsky and a few others still leave me hugely impressed with their interpretations of the human condition, and our reactions to the evolving political landscape. Google, Facebook and particularly Neuralink scare the hell out of me.
I've enough difficulty sorting and storing my own thoughts, without other's thoughts being beamed into my consciousness with or without an express connection.

I've often found that the process of learning was of more value than the facts the process elicited. Now so many seem bent on feeding me what they claim are facts, with little or no effort on my part.

Athletes and gymnasts know that they need to use their body to stay in physical trim. Google and Facebook seek to ease the loads we mentally manipulate to learn, or maintain what they insist is social interaction, while Neuralink wants us to sit back as they mentally pump iron at our command. (He's also intent on driving my damn car)!

We lost a lot when we gave away our bicycle and bought our first car, now many of us would find commuting by bike a huge inconvenience simply because we've made little use of those muscles over the ensuing years. Why allow our children to make similar mistakes by embracing their phone and letting their mental faculties atrophy. Why allow ourselves to forget the thrill of shaking the hands of new friends or judging a person's physical reactions to our actions, solving our own problems in our own way - or even driving a sports car on a winding road as the wind ruffles what's left of our hair.

Damn, I'm sounding like a boycott prone neo-luddite myself. Should I begin following my own good advise?
Nah
Terry

nanning

• Nilas ice
  • 0Kg CO₂, 37 KWh/wk,125L H₂O/wk, No offspring
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 273
  • Likes Given: 23170
« Reply #313 on: November 22, 2019, 07:16:25 PM »
Perhaps it's getting boring for readers, but I want to thank you again for those words. I think they sketch a significant view.
Neo-luddites. I like that :).
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly" - Bertrand Russell
"It is preoccupation with what other people from your groups think of you, that prevents you from living freely and nobly" - Nanning
Why do you keep accumulating stuff?

SATire

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: November 22, 2019, 07:30:51 PM »
Greta on Twitter: They survived the storm by slowing down the boat. Now they are back on track and hope not to be late for the conference.

PS: I am really happy that Twitter exists since Greta posts there and thus it is not dominated by Trump anymore. The problem obviously is not the tech but who uses it -  and not the young people cause the trouble... 

By the way: Next global school strike is on Nov. 29. Help the kids. See you on the streets and not only in the virtual world of this forum ;-)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 07:49:53 PM by SATire »

SATire

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: December 01, 2019, 01:18:20 AM »
Estimated time of arrival now: Tuesday  :D

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: December 02, 2019, 08:35:03 PM »
From The Guardian a beautiful, interesting and perhaps important video:
  by Richard Sprenger et al

"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly" - Bertrand Russell
"It is preoccupation with what other people from your groups think of you, that prevents you from living freely and nobly" - Nanning

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: December 03, 2019, 06:24:49 PM »
  Greta Thunberg arrives in Lisbon after three-week voyage from US

Climate activist heading to COP25 in Madrid after crossing Atlantic on family’s yacht

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/dec/03/greta-thunberg-arrives-in-lisbon-cop25-after-three-week-voyage-from-us
  by Associated Press

Florifulgurator

• Grease ice
  • Virtual world alter ego / अवतार of Martin Gisser
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 236
  • Likes Given: 365
« Reply #318 on: December 03, 2019, 08:05:49 PM »
And again someone finds fault with her carbon footprint  ::)  German tabloid of tabloids says: "Again Greta sails not climate neutral"
https://www.bild.de/politik/ausland/politik-ausland/uno-klimagipfel-greta-thunberg-segelt-wieder-mit-schlechter-co2-bilanz-66418304.bild.html
"The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or committed communist, but rather people for whom the difference between facts and fiction, true and false, no longer exists." ~ Hannah Arendt
"Вчи українську це тобі ще знадобиться" ~ Internet

blumenkraft

« Reply #319 on: December 03, 2019, 08:12:55 PM »
For context, Bild is the German FoxNews but print.

SATire

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: December 03, 2019, 08:15:55 PM »
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 08:45:54 PM by SATire »

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: December 04, 2019, 06:46:39 PM »
Greta Thunberg, schoolgirl,16, is having a very hard life, having celebrity status. She has a very strong character.
I wish her strenght and focus (and rest, in a non-moving bed).
(50s)

Florifulgurator

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: December 05, 2019, 06:18:39 PM »
Want to see other kids for a change? Greta's friend Amy Goodman reports and interviews in Stockholm: Right Livelihood Award & Greta arrival speeches:
"The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or committed communist, but rather people for whom the difference between facts and fiction, true and false, no longer exists." ~ Hannah Arendt

crandles

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 239
  • Likes Given: 81
« Reply #323 on: December 06, 2019, 08:00:58 PM »
"People want everything to continue like now and they are afraid of change," she told reporters.

"And change is what we young people are bringing and that is why they want to silence us and that is just a proof that we are having an impact that our voices are being heard that they try so desperately to silence us."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-50680781

Is "try so desperately to silence us"
appropriate? OTT? or ... ?

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #324 on: December 06, 2019, 09:33:59 PM »
From perhaps the cosmoquest forum's top poster:
I believe we might reach "peak Greta" fairly soon. She's essentially unassailable - no interviewer (at least, not one who wants to stay in a job) is going to ask probing, difficult questions of a child who has significant mental health issues, especially when her current crusade is helping her deal with those issues (at least in the short term). So she isn't being held to account in the same way as, say, a climate scientist. But something will give, because it's an unstable situation unless she actually manages to start a religion (admittedly not outwith the bounds of possibility). I just hope the eventual failure mode is a tolerable one for Thunberg, but I do fear for her.

Florifulgurator

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: December 06, 2019, 09:43:51 PM »
Is "try so desperately to silence us"
appropriate? OTT? or ... ?
I've seen this desperation on individual levels here in Germany. E.g. what once was a good old sweet hippie friend of mine turned into an elderly white male spitting bile, condescendingly calling her "Gretel", confessing his total intellectual and moral bankruptcy on Facebook. I had to slap him with Dietrich Bonhoeffer's essay on stupidity and left it there. Many elderly white alpha males are wailing in the agony of their intellectual-moral castration. It is a significant part of the population. Methinks the less one cares about them the better. Leave the sorry old clowns behind.

P.S.: Coincidentally Tom quotes a perfect example. "Religion" Hahaaaaaaahahahaha.....
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 09:49:31 PM by Florifulgurator »

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: December 07, 2019, 04:54:25 PM »
Bill McKibben (@billmckibben) 12/6/19, 1:56 PM
Gotta love the call-and-response from some NYC climate strikers today! #FridaysForFuture
https://twitter.com/billmckibben/status/1203025353977081856
14-second video clip.

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: December 07, 2019, 05:49:16 PM »
Want to see other kids for a change? Greta's friend Amy Goodman reports and interviews in Stockholm: Right Livelihood Award & Greta arrival speeches:
<snip>

Thanks Florifulgurator for that video. It brought tears to my eyes :).

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: December 08, 2019, 05:36:54 PM »
Remember, this is a 16yo schoolgirl. Deep respect for this human. I admire her focus and courage. Take care of yourself Greta.

(58s)
Greta Thunberg faces media hysteria as she arrives in Madrid

Hefaistos

« Reply #329 on: December 09, 2019, 05:35:10 AM »
Nice interview with Greta in Dagens Nyheter, the leading Swedish daily newspaper.
On her preparations for giving a speech at COP, there will be no more 'emotional stuff':

"Have you written the speech yet?

– No. But I know approximately what it is going to be like.

What is your line of reasoning?

– Apparently I am quite bad at giving speeches. Because what people bring up from the speech in New York is me sitting and saying: ”How dare you? You have stolen my dreams and my childhood” and that is not what I want to communicate. I want to communicate facts. And if you leave out what the rest of the speech is all about, if you only take out three sentences, then that makes me sound like an idiot.

What are you going to say?

– I don’t give speeches so that I in some magical way will talk world leaders into realizing that I am right and they are wrong. My long term goal is that the gap between what science is saying and what is actually being done is made so clear that it can no longer be ignored. So now I am not going to give them any emotional stuff. Now they will get real content. "

https://www.dn.se/nyheter/varlden/greta-thunberg-in-exclusive-interview-the-hope-lies-in-the-fact-that-people-dont-know-what-is-going-on/

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: December 09, 2019, 09:34:53 AM »
If you're interested.

In 1 hour time (at 10.30 in Madrid): LIVESTREAM

"Fridays For Future" with Greta and others

https://unfccc-cop25.streamworld.de/webcast/press-conference-by-greta-thunberg-luisa-neubauer-

Florifulgurator

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: December 09, 2019, 06:52:03 PM »
Nice interview with Greta in Dagens Nyheter, the leading Swedish daily newspaper.
Yeah. But I would say it is magnificient. :)
Required reading for Greta haters. This is no stupid little girl.

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: December 10, 2019, 08:23:00 AM »
If you're interested.
COP25
In half an hour time (at 8.45 in Madrid): LIVESTREAM

"Unite Behind The Science event with Greta Thunberg and Luisa Neubauer"

https://unfccc-cop25.streamworld.de/webcast/unite-behind-the-science-event-with-greta-thunberg

edit: having watched it: Really great and clear speeches and no ESLD :)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 11:39:26 AM by nanning »

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: December 11, 2019, 02:31:32 AM »
End Stage Liver Disease?
End Stage Lung Disease?

There must be a different explanation.
Terry

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: December 11, 2019, 08:04:27 AM »
Haha, no Terry, although these are also terminal symptoms. I copied the acronym ESLD from AbruptSLR and it stands for "Erring on the Side of Least Drama". In other words, to play down the risks, to view reality through rosy glasses.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: December 11, 2019, 02:22:00 PM »
Greta Thunberg is Time Magazine’s “Person of the Year.”
Person of the Year is an annual issue of the United States news magazine Time that features and profiles a person, a group, an idea, or an object that "for better or for worse... has done the most to influence the events of the year".
- Wikipedia

The Story Behind TIME's 2019 Person of the Year Cover
https://time.com/5746483/behind-person-of-the-year-2019-covers/

TIME Person of the Year 2019: How We Chose Greta Thunberg
https://time.com/person-of-the-year-2019-greta-thunberg-choice/

Greta Thunberg is the Youngest TIME Person of the Year Ever.  Here’s how she made history.
https://time.com/5746458/youngest-time-person-of-the-year/

Florifulgurator

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: December 11, 2019, 11:01:34 PM »
Amy Goodman is again doing excellent reporting from the COP. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrKdR3CQGes&list=PL0F1F946BD995C654
It's not just because of Greta, but I like to call it "Greta Effect" what is perceptible in Madrid.

Apropos Persons of the Years, here are my two favorite Greta pics. "Early Greta" in Katowice. And "Greta ripened even more". I'm not sure the latter isn't photoshopped. Her wrinkling dwarfs Emilia Clarke... :)

Florifulgurator

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: December 12, 2019, 10:47:10 PM »
Finally, Greta's climate summit speech (for what she criss-crossed the Atlantic).

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #338 on: December 15, 2019, 03:14:09 AM »
Is this fake news?
Greta Thunberg tells cheering crowd 'we will make sure we put world leaders against the wall' if they do not tackle global warming as she attends climate protest in Turin
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7789463/Greta-Thunberg-arrives-Turin-Italy-star-turn-huge-climate-change-demonstration.html
If she actually said this, then she is totally wrong. You don't line up and shoot world leaders (many if not most democratically elected) just because you don't like their policies.

SteveMDFP

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 583
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #339 on: December 15, 2019, 08:43:04 AM »
Is this fake news?
Greta Thunberg tells cheering crowd 'we will make sure we put world leaders against the wall' if they do not tackle global warming as she attends climate protest in Turin
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7789463/Greta-Thunberg-arrives-Turin-Italy-star-turn-huge-climate-change-demonstration.html
If she actually said this, then she is totally wrong. You don't line up and shoot world leaders (many if not most democratically elected) just because you don't like their policies.

She did, but with a different meaning intended.  She apologized and explained:

Greta Thunberg apologizes for "against the wall" comment
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/greta-thunberg-climate-activist-apologizes-for-against-the-wall-comment/

...""Yesterday I said we must hold our leaders accountable and unfortunately said 'put them against the wall,'" the 16-year-old climate activist tweeted on Saturday. "That's Swenglish: 'att ställa någon mot väggen' (to put someone against the wall) means to hold someone accountable."

blumenkraft

« Reply #340 on: December 15, 2019, 09:01:47 AM »
Watch the video. It is clear what she means. Unfortunate use of words maybe. Shit happens.

She obviously meant we sould corner them into a position where they have to make decisions not killing them.

Hefaistos

« Reply #341 on: December 15, 2019, 01:17:57 PM »
Watch the video. It is clear what she means. Unfortunate use of words maybe. Shit happens.

She obviously meant we sould corner them into a position where they have to make decisions not killing them.

Confirmed by your favourite Swede)

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5289
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #342 on: December 15, 2019, 08:20:41 PM »
One thing for sure, COP25 had a negative impact on the life expectancy of all 16-year old people.

The powers that presume to govern us are putting them against the wall in the most unpleasant use of those words.
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: December 16, 2019, 06:49:28 AM »
I've no doubt that everyone born this century will find their lives shortened, or at the least their options curtailed by the kick the can decisions that our generation is imposing. Will they patiently wait until political power slips from our aging grip, or will intergenerational strife be yet another horror to be faced.

If I were 16 I might think that putting only a few leaders "against the wall" was letting a whole generation off with a very light sentence.
Terry

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: December 31, 2019, 05:21:37 PM »
Dana Nuccitelli (@dana1981) 12/31/19, 10:02 AM
Deniers love to attack @GretaThunberg by claiming her parents are controlling and harming her. This is a lovely interview debunking that horrid and despicable myth

BBC Radio 4 Today (@BBCr4today) 12/30/19, 2:54 AM
Svante Thunberg, father of @GretaThunberg, talks to us about the journey his daughter has been on - from a time when she rarely left the house or spoke to anyone outside her family, to campaigning globally on climate change.
https://twitter.com/bbcr4today/status/1211556222475878400

Greta Thunberg's father: 'She is happy, but I worry' - BBC News
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-50901789

The video is at both links.

Juan C. García

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1279
  • Likes Given: 1127
« Reply #345 on: January 02, 2020, 04:35:10 PM »
Greta starts the year with this retweet. I really like the postcast and I recommend to hear it:

https://twitter.com/jrockstrom/status/1212321310275252225?s=20
Which is the best answer to Sep-2012 ASI lost (compared to 1979-2000)?
50% [NSIDC Extent] or
73% [PIOMAS Volume]

Volume is harder to measure than extent, but 3-dimensional space is real, 2D's hide ~50% thickness gone.
-> IPCC/NSIDC trends [based on extent] underestimate the real speed of ASI lost.

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: January 02, 2020, 06:35:23 PM »
^^
Juan

The responses were frightening.
I had no idea that so many ff bots were running wild through the internet. :-\

The new UN convention on cybercrime has its work cut out for it. Damn shame that the US & Vassal States are opposing the effort.
https://www.insightsonindia.com/2019/12/30/un-backs-russia-on-internet-convention/

https://www.rt.com/news/477024-un-russia-resolution-cyber-crime/

Terry

blumenkraft

« Reply #347 on: January 04, 2020, 06:00:10 PM »
Happy birthday, Greta!

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: January 10, 2020, 06:12:02 PM »
Davos 2020

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jan/10/greta-thunberg-davos-tycoons-fossil-fuels-dismantle-climate-crisis
  by Greta Thunberg et al

At Davos we will tell world leaders to abandon the fossil fuel economy

Quotes:
Young climate activists and school strikers from around the world will be present to put pressure on these leaders.

We demand that at this year’s forum, participants from all companies, banks, institutions and governments immediately halt all investments in fossil fuel exploration and extraction, immediately end all fossil fuel subsidies and immediately and completely divest from fossil fuels.

We don’t want these things done by 2050, 2030 or even 2021, we want this done now – as in right now.
-
since the 2015 Paris agreement, 33 major global banks have collectively poured $1.9tn (£1.5tn) into fossil fuels, according to Rainforest Action’s report. The IMF concluded that in 2017 alone, the world spent $5.2tn subsidising fossil fuels. This has to stop.
-
history has not shown the corporate world’s willingness to hold themselves accountable. So it falls on us, the children, to do that.
-
Our request to them is perhaps not so far-fetched considering that they say they understand and prioritise this emergency. Anything less than immediately ceasing these investments in the fossil fuel industry would be a betrayal of life itself. Today’s business as usual is turning into a crime against humanity.

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: January 10, 2020, 11:38:12 PM »
^^
Today's BAU is turning into a crime against humanity.
and Green BAU is crime of Orwellian proportions. Lying by Corporate heads in the new normal. Imagine if Henry Ford had told his followers he was only building cars to save the world from horse shit - someone would have screamed "Bull Shit".
Terry