Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Greta Thunberg's Atlantic crossing  (Read 80188 times)

blumenkraft

Re: Greta Thunberg's Atlantic crossing
« Reply #400 on: January 18, 2020, 08:26:49 PM »
I'm wondering if anyone here who's having an opinion on the quality of the test actually checked the method behind it. Because it's there to click and read. On that very site.

Experts made this test. Why are experts always so easily dismissed even on a forum that acknowledges the importance of expert knowledge?

KiwiGriff

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 710
  • Likes Given: 372
« Reply #401 on: January 18, 2020, 08:28:43 PM »
The aspie test I linked to has a sold scientific basis behind it.
If you explore the site you will find a list of the hundreds of questions used in different iterations and the p value found with replies by those who have a formal diagnose. they have also looked at eliminating cultural factors .
All a  Psychologists is going to do to give you a formal diagnose is check your symptoms of against a list at a cost of many thousnds of dollars. As most Aspies grow though adult hood they learn to fake normality with thing like eye contact body language and social interaction so a psychologist often has to rely on their recollection of childhood. Diagnose is still a highly subjective process.
I don't need a shrink to tell me I am an Aspie I know what differences I had as a child and still have as an adult A diagnose would serve no value to me as I function reasonably well and dont need a piece of paper to explain my self .

The test was only offered as a learning opportunity to those here who are curios about asperger syndrom. Some have had enjoyment exploring the difference and some may have spent time considering their own position on the spectrum of the human condition.

Greta is the reason for this thread  as she her self says her impact is partially  due to the super powers asperger gives her. As an aspie who shares in some of her difference I can see how her Asperger enables her successful crusade
Animals can be driven crazy by placing too many in too small a pen. Homo sapiens is the only animal that voluntarily does this to himself.
Notebooks of Lazarus Long.
Robert Heinlein.

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3584
  • Likes Given: 3922
« Reply #402 on: January 18, 2020, 09:44:17 PM »
I thought the test was actually good. I recognized many of my aspie-like characteristics and many of my non-aspie characteristics. Some few questions were a bit confusing and hard to answer properly but most were spot on. It was interesting to find out I am more neurotypical than I assumed, but I wonder what my score would have been at age 18.

Rodius

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 645
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #403 on: January 19, 2020, 03:47:10 AM »
Just for the hell of it...
Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 156 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 62 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

I am clearly Autistic.
I only figured it out 12 years ago when my second son was diagnosed as autistic and I decided to learn everything there is to know about autism.
That opened my eyes a lot.
I also have two more kids who are both autistic as well. It is why I home school them... schools tend not to deal with autism well in Australia.

I had to learn the rules of normal people, I have always known I am different. I have also held leadership positions and did them well even with my quirks because the people I led knew where they stood, what was expected and I didnt bullshit anyone.

The only thing that annoys me about being autistic is not knowing it earlier.... if I had known earlier, I wouldnt have bothered to try so hard to figure out why people do what they do and I would have just done things my own way... which is what I have been doing for the least ten years. Life is so much better when you just be yourself.

Florifulgurator

• Grease ice
  • Virtual world alter ego / अवतार of Martin Gisser
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 236
  • Likes Given: 365
« Reply #404 on: January 19, 2020, 06:47:47 AM »
I still haven't found time to do the test (*) (and pay hommage to Rodius and his son :) ). Because I found some great video/audios on one of the perhaps most extreme cases of Aspergers (according to Roy Lisker (1938-2019)). One of the greatest and surely the most prolific of all mathematicians ever, Alexandre Grothendieck (1928-2014). He created the abstract universe at the basis of the proof of Fermat's Last Theorem. His life story alone is fascinating and relevant... He went a bit crazy at the end, at one time almost starving from dandelion soup... If you find Newton, Einstein, Gödel, etc. fascinating then you need to know Grothendieck.

-------------------------
(*) Anyhow due to cultivated brain plasticity (still ongoing at 52y) it won't tell much, methinks.
BTW, I once peed at C.F.Gauss' tombstone in Göttingen. Would an Aspie do that?
(No, I'm not seriously collecting mathematician tombstones. You haven't seen my collection of Buddhist mummies yet :) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sokushinbutsu )

« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 07:14:30 AM by Florifulgurator »
"The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or committed communist, but rather people for whom the difference between facts and fiction, true and false, no longer exists." ~ Hannah Arendt
"Вчи українську це тобі ще знадобиться" ~ Internet

nanning

• Nilas ice
  • 0Kg CO₂, 37 KWh/wk,125L H₂O/wk, No offspring
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 273
  • Likes Given: 23170
« Reply #405 on: January 19, 2020, 09:53:29 AM »
This is not a serious post to discuss because it will lead to nowhere.
These are just my ideas and feel free to dismiss them and don't get angry or insulted :).

Cultivated brain plasticity! Yes! You have also found that enormously powerful tool it seems. Do you know how to programme your brain, to use this plasticity? I can give some tips about 'healing' your brain. I did it myself.
An important tip: stay as far away as possible from complete abstractions or calibrate them to reality.
Of course the quiz test won't tell much. Not just because the ambiguous questions but also because of preceived standard behaviour. I would start with looking at the way people's brains developed during the first 1000 days where almost all the connections are made and the brain is build, trying to mimic and adapt to infants immediate surroundings and stimulans. Those experts are not from the natural sciences. Be very very critical of anything they say. Sorry 'Aspie's, please don't be so easily angry and insulted. This is not physics by a long way. I have loads of arguments, have tried to communicate some to those experts and they didn't want to know anything about it without giving arguments. Bubbles everywhere without calibration.

"He created the abstract universe"
What does that mean? Abstract means that you cannot measure anything in it? People should stay calibrated in reality with their abstractions and fantasies and not take them too serious as if it has meaning. Humans need to get their fantasies under control in my opinion. Most of our current culture is ultimately based on fantasy.
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly" - Bertrand Russell
"It is preoccupation with what other people from your groups think of you, that prevents you from living freely and nobly" - Nanning
Why do you keep accumulating stuff?

Rodius

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: January 19, 2020, 11:03:03 AM »
This is not a serious post to discuss because it will lead to nowhere.
These are just my ideas and feel free to dismiss them and don't get angry or insulted :).

Cultivated brain plasticity! Yes! You have also found that enormously powerful tool it seems. Do you know how to programme your brain, to use this plasticity? I can give some tips about 'healing' your brain. I did it myself.
An important tip: stay as far away as possible from complete abstractions or calibrate them to reality.
Of course the quiz test won't tell much. Not just because the ambiguous questions but also because of preceived standard behaviour. I would start with looking at the way people's brains developed during the first 1000 days where almost all the connections are made and the brain is build, trying to mimic and adapt to infants immediate surroundings and stimulans. Those experts are not from the natural sciences. Be very very critical of anything they say. Sorry 'Aspie's, please don't be so easily angry and insulted. This is not physics by a long way. I have loads of arguments, have tried to communicate some to those experts and they didn't want to know anything about it without giving arguments. Bubbles everywhere without calibration.

What does that mean? Abstract means that you cannot measure anything in it? People should stay calibrated in reality with their abstractions and fantasies and not take them too serious as if it has meaning. Humans need to get their fantasies under control in my opinion. Most of our current culture is ultimately based on fantasy.

The quiz is okay. The research has been put into it, I didnt read the details but I am sure they would be saying that the quiz is not a replacement for professional diagnosis, the quiz is an indication only.
I personally take quizzes like this with that in mind.
They are fairly good for the most part though. Almost no neurotypical people taking the quiz register as autistic but most autistic people do measure as autistic. Among my friends (who are mostly autistic) they all register as autistic on quizzes like this. Not very scientific though, but what the hell, I will run with the anecdote anyway.

Brain Plasticity is something I believe everyone has.
It makes sense.
The first 1000 days after birth a very important for everyone.
The concept to bear in mind is that autism is a brain that is structured differently. In short, you cant change the structure, but you can still mold it as much as you can or are willing to do.

Here is a short article with references if you want to dig into it more.
https://www.spectrumnews.org/news/autism-brains-show-widespread-alterations-structure/

In the end, Greta has been professionally diagnosed as autistic. She has shown over the last year or two just how much growth and change can happen regardless of autism.

To me, it would be nice if people would simply accept that autistic brains are quite different, which means different ways of thinking.
There is the ability to learn and change and adapt just like neurotypical people because the brain is freaking awesome like that.
All of this has been shown via research.
People still argue it, and that is fine I suppose, and I like to hear different points of view so long as it can be supported in some way.

I am fixated on autism, so I know more than I care to say, but I dont think this thread is a good place to discuss autism specifically given it is about Greta. Maybe a new thread is in order?

blumenkraft

« Reply #407 on: January 19, 2020, 11:32:35 AM »
Maybe a new thread is in order?

One argument for an Aspie thread would be that the aspie/NT ratio on this forum is disproportionately higher compared to the general public (for how i see it).

Aporia_filia

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 109
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #408 on: January 19, 2020, 01:17:59 PM »
Could all this mental diversity show that we are evolving?
Evolution didn't stop on us.
(my test looks like a top-hat inclined to the red, no neurotypical)

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2041
  • Likes Given: 1986
« Reply #409 on: January 19, 2020, 02:54:19 PM »
Most of the ´mental diversity´is brought to you by people pushing pills and other stuff.
We are always evolving since it is non optional.

How would we rate Archimedes of Syracuse, or Diogenes of Sinope?

Also where on the ocean is Greta now?
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: January 19, 2020, 04:55:11 PM »
Dear Rodius, I completely accept that Autistic brains are different.

This is likely my last post about it because I need to be in person with you to make you see all the assumptions and flaws. Not because I say so but because you will agree with me.
Just two things to think over:
-  Was the brain Autistic already before those 1000 days? Or only after it? What does that signify?
-  I am completely outside group behaviour and I am not a grown-up. Don't you think that would influence the way I answer those questions?

There are so many assumptions in the quiz that are unseen and unheeded. It is very tempting to generalize and not take all exceptions into account, but in physics those are the very things that physicsts are interested in, the outliers, to really find meaning and fundamental understanding. I wish you will see the difference.You are who you are, that doesn't change with a label. Please be careful with your view of yourself.
I wonder what R.P.Feynman would have thought of those labels, he was very sharp and eloquent in my view.

edit: added bolding
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 05:39:24 PM by nanning »
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly" - Bertrand Russell
"It is preoccupation with what other people from your groups think of you, that prevents you from living freely and nobly" - Nanning

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: January 19, 2020, 05:03:13 PM »
Thanks for that view kassy.

I wish that Greta is on the Billy Ocean of loverboy ;D.

SATire

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 34
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #412 on: January 19, 2020, 08:41:26 PM »
Also where on the ocean is Greta now?
Switzerland. On the way to Davos to tell us, that we have seen nothing from her and FFF so far... If their actions continue to make no effect they will become more radical - just as needed.

Rodius

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: January 20, 2020, 12:13:43 AM »
Dear Rodius, I completely accept that Autistic brains are different.

This is likely my last post about it because I need to be in person with you to make you see all the assumptions and flaws. Not because I say so but because you will agree with me.
Just two things to think over:
-  Was the brain Autistic already before those 1000 days? Or only after it? What does that signify?
-  I am completely outside group behaviour and I am not a grown-up. Don't you think that would influence the way I answer those questions?

There are so many assumptions in the quiz that are unseen and unheeded. It is very tempting to generalize and not take all exceptions into account, but in physics those are the very things that physicsts are interested in, the outliers, to really find meaning and fundamental understanding. I wish you will see the difference.You are who you are, that doesn't change with a label. Please be careful with your view of yourself.
I wonder what R.P.Feynman would have thought of those labels, he was very sharp and eloquent in my view.

Yes, the brain is structured differently before birth. What happens post birth makes no difference to the autistic structure other than what is learned along the way much like a normal brain.

In effect, if an autistic is born an electric bike, it remains an electric bike even though modifications can be made. But it is still an electric bike regardless.
A normal brain is a motor bike. Same principle applies. They are different but still equally adaptable within their respective constraints.

Florifulgurator

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: January 20, 2020, 04:51:19 AM »
[...]
[...]
Oops, I forgot about the very common misunderstanding of "abstract". (Similarly some folks don't understand "theory", e.g. "the greenhouse effect is just a theory".)

My impression is, Greta is not caught in that way of "abstract thinking" you warn of.  She is very capable of handling abstract concepts in the sense that I will try to explain.  Methinks she is an extraordinary creative scientific mind.  She is not the rigid abstractionist (in your sense) that I suspect is more common with "neurotypicals".

Attempt at explanation:
The abstract structures Grothendieck worked out are sort of the common skeleton of diverse mathematical animals.  Like two completely different looking cats turn out exactly the same in an X-ray photo.  Sometimes there is just one mathematical animal with lots of fuzzy fur and flesh.  You abstract that away, down to the skeleton, to better understand the relevant inner working.  Then A.: you put new stuff on that abstract skeleton and arrive at a completely new mathematical animal.  Or B.: having a workable abstraction, you can better understand the weird beast and get new or more precise insights - without getting distracted by irrelevant structure.

Good abstraction is at the core of creative science.

E.g. Einstein arrived at E=mc2 after 1) abstracting things down to the 2 simple and innocent looking axioms of Special Relativity Theory. Then 2) he just "did the math" that followed from 1)

---------------------------------------
P.S.: It might seem grotesque to talk of Greta and Grothendieck in the same text. But it is not just that Florifulgurator enjoys rhymes as much as Pumuckl. E.g. they both had to suffer a challenging childhood.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 06:04:49 AM by Florifulgurator »
"The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or committed communist, but rather people for whom the difference between facts and fiction, true and false, no longer exists." ~ Hannah Arendt

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: January 21, 2020, 03:43:41 PM »
A very strong and beautiful talk by Greta Thunberg in Davos at the W.E.F. 2020 from today:

(11m14)

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1153
  • Likes Given: 430
« Reply #416 on: January 22, 2020, 07:17:13 PM »
Greta Thunberg guarantees you won’t forget this number
"I know you don’t want to report about this. I know you don’t want to talk about this. But I assure you I will continue to repeat these numbers until you do."

Thunberg's central number is 1.5 Celsius. She's even repeated it in front of a rapt crowd of international diplomats at the U.N. Now in 2020, Thunberg hasn't let up. And according to experts in communication, it's a smart way to convince people of the need to slash society's still-rising carbon emissions.

"I think her messaging is dead-on," said Jennifer Marlon, a research scientist at the Yale Program on Climate Change Communication.

Why repeating 1.5 C is smart

The 1.5 Celsius figure comes from the over 600-page "Global Warming at 1.5 C" U.N. report, which brims with statistics and analysis most people haven't read, and probably won't ever read. But "1.5 C" summarizes why the report, authored by 91 scientists citing over 6,000 studies, matters.

Repeating the figure, even if it's somewhat wonky and contains a decimal, makes the number familiar and meaningful to people, similar to a succinct slogan (ex: "Just Do It").

"She's taking climate change, which is often very mathematical and statistical, and messaging it with a slogan," said Mike Allen, a professor in the Department of Communication at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. "It reduces a complex issue."

"When something is repeated, it's more likely to be picked up," agreed Jeffrey Jarman, an expert on rhetoric from Wichita State University. "Having these kernels of knowledge out there gives people something to hold on to.

"1.5 degrees [C] is an easy number," he added.

"Repeating is powerful."

Though, Thunberg's message isn't just about repetition. She's combining the number with talking points conveying the ethical need to avoid damaging levels of planetary warming — something people her age are bound to inherit. ...
https://mashable.com/article/greta-thunberg-climate-change-message.amp
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

Florifulgurator

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: January 22, 2020, 07:25:40 PM »
From the session incl. Greta I transcribed a bit more than quoted above:
Since last summer I've been repeating these numbers over and over again in almost every speech. But honestly I dont think I have once seen any media outlet or person in power communicate this - and what it means.

I know you dont want to report about this.  I know you dont want to talk about this.

But I assure you I will continue to repeat these numbers until you do.
(There is already a stupid German WELT article out there, who fails exactly at this. Won't link it.)

------------------------------------------
Wow, I didn't expect to spend more than half an hour on Davos 2020...
Right now listening to a session with Jane Goodall, Al Gore, Mishal Husain, Carlos Afonso Nobre, Ivan Duque:

In his passionate closing remarks Al Gore almost dwarfs Greta!  8)

Davos 2020 deserves an own thread.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 07:36:44 PM by Florifulgurator »

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3510
  • Likes Given: 745
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― anonymous

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #419 on: January 23, 2020, 06:37:07 AM »
Is 1.50C from pre-industrial even a remote possibility?

I've no doubt that we'll pass through 1.5 well before Greta needs to hide her grey hairs, and probably before she earns a degree.
1.50C may have been built in before Greta was born. That door has closed.

Terry

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #420 on: January 23, 2020, 08:26:54 AM »
I agree Terry and have read from scientists that they don't think even +2°C GMST is possible as maximum AGW.
As is written before, one El Niño is maybe all that's required to overshoot the +1.5°C 'goal'. 'We' are not even hitting the brakes. Who are we kidding with this 'goal'? Ourselves.
Well, I personally have trashed my brakes through the floor.

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: January 23, 2020, 02:08:05 PM »
It is the number widely used in public discourse. Using any higher number if if more realistic would lead to discussions which distract from the need for action.

Interesting that most papers leave out that part of the speeches....
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

SATire

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 34
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #422 on: January 24, 2020, 04:41:32 PM »
Is 1.50C from pre-industrial even a remote possibility?

I've no doubt that we'll pass through 1.5 well before Greta needs to hide her grey hairs, and probably before she earns a degree.
1.50C may have been built in before Greta was born. That door has closed.

Terry
Terry - that 1.5 °C goal is the goal, that all countries (minus 3) in the world agreed on to work for in Paris. And then you may read the IPCC special report 1.5°C where the scientist explained in 2018, how that goal could be achieved by the governments: E.g. with negative emissions Gretas generation should be held responsible for somehow - and still some people still do not fully understand why young people are angry now. Plenty very stupid people out there, which are not young... 

Greta was demanding in her school strike, that the Swedish government does what it promised in Paris.

It is very simple. If the governments of all countries of the world (-3) now find it unrealistic to keep their promise it should be also their job to say sorry and agree on something else. But how could a young girl like Greta step in and work out a better political solution? No - it is totally ok if she tells the politicians to do what they promised. There is no reason for her to ask the politicians to change their agreement. Also there is no reason for Greta to come up with any magic idea or whatever. The only solution is: Do not burn any carbon anymore. Take action now.   

Next problem is that the people are not doing what the politicians promised their people would do. Maybe because there are no sanctions and such. But why? There are sanctions against murder, theft, drugs abuse etc. so people know how to deal with such things. Thus there is no excuse. Action can be taken today - ban carbon burning just like the use of heroine.

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: January 24, 2020, 07:18:25 PM »
My gap year ends in August, but it doesn’t take a college degree in economics to realise that our remaining 1,5° carbon budget and ongoing fossil fuel subsidies and investments don’t add up.

https://www.unilad.co.uk/news/greta-thunberg-responds-to-us-politician-who-said-she-needs-an-economics-degree/

KISS  :)

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3584
  • Likes Given: 3922
« Reply #424 on: January 24, 2020, 11:52:03 PM »
Mnuchin said:
Is she the chief economist, or who is she? I’m confused. It’s a joke. After she goes and studies economics in college she can come back and explain that to us.
What a jerk. The idiocy stinks.

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: January 25, 2020, 12:12:49 AM »
SAT

If the Swedish Government (along with the rest of the world including the recalcitrant US of A) does "what it promised in Paris", the UNEP estimates a rise to 3.2 C0 this century.
Jim Hansen called the Paris talks "fraud, with no action, just promises".

We need emission cuts of 7.6% per year from 2020 to 2030 to hold global temperatures to 1.5CO. Will you eschew heating your home this winter?, perhaps pledging to never use the AC next summer would be easier.

If we all walked or rode a bike for the next decade that would help. We wouldn't meet the target, but if everyone did it we'd be closer.

Relying on the magic of negative emissions is much easier, even if not more effective, but it is certainly easier than cutting our personal carbon footprint 7.6% each and every year for the coming decade. Prayer is also easier, and probably just as effective as waiting for negative emissions to rapture us away from the consequences of our unholy reliance on fossil fuel.
Hallelujah, pass the hopeum.

In centuries past great minds contemplated the numbers of angels that could dance on the head of a pin. Today we recognize that angels are a-sexual creatures with no interest in choreography, or needles. We struggle to understand the negative mass that negative emissions must surely possess, always assured that in the near future negative emissions will sweep the CO2 from our heavens as efficiently as our Roomba sweeps feline dander from our pristine parquet.

1.5C0 is a levitating pile of Unobtainium marketed by charlatans that would make David Copperfield blush.
Terry

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #426 on: January 25, 2020, 12:43:59 AM »
TerryM:
The pin dancing angels was not a debate, it was an illustration of the dogma that angels are noncorporeal and hence have no physical extension so there is no limit to how many could be present on a pin.
Saying it was a serious issue would be like someone on the 25th Century claiming 20th Century physicists were Satanic sadists who wanted to conjure demons to air condition their homes and to poison cats.

Florifulgurator

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: January 25, 2020, 01:27:47 AM »
Will you eschew heating your home this winter?, perhaps pledging to never use the AC next summer would be easier.
Me, to the contrary!

My home heating here in Bavaria is carbon negative.  (Theoretically at least. Right now I'm too lazy to sequester much carbon because it's freezing outside, so I burn most wood to ash instead of harvesting biochar.) My AC in hot summer is also done by my wood kitchen oven plus chimney: It sucks in cold night air. (Yes, it was 25°C at midnight in the kitchen last August when I came home late. So I paradoxically fired up the oven, just a little.)  -- Well, that brutal summer I almost plugged in the electric fridge, as my cool room went up to 15°C and I don't want to use water evaporation cooling as in Yemen or ancient Rome - and my historic cellar is a bit inconvenient (low ceiling, muddy floor, water seeping in, slippery worn out steps down - and it's a 3 doors walk from the kitchen).

(The whole system could be optimized significantly, but it's not my house and it is work to make holes in the walls and dig up the floor to lay air tubes. Also I would need to get a few old computer fans, who need electricity (ca. 5W). )
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 01:56:06 AM by Florifulgurator »

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: January 25, 2020, 03:08:35 AM »
^^
With all that you've done to date how are you ever going to be able to lower your footprint by 7.6 percent each year for the next decade? ::)
Terry

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: January 25, 2020, 08:19:07 AM »
Quote from: TerryM
1.5C0 is a levitating pile of Unobtainium marketed by charlatans that would make David Copperfield blush.

Beautiful :).

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: January 25, 2020, 11:50:08 AM »
^^
Thanks so much!
Terry

Florifulgurator

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: January 25, 2020, 06:18:36 PM »
^^
With all that you've done to date how are you ever going to be able to lower your footprint by 7.6 percent each year for the next decade? ::)
Terry
Produce more biochar.

My footprint is still far from negative.  But then, given that rate I would soon need to pyrolize a whole forest. Alas the few trees I planted grow painfully slow. :)  So my idea is planting hemp and using pelletized hemp shives.

Until a few years I ago I used to say that the most consequential green action would be suicide (deep in the forest, so they won't find and cremate the corpse).  Meanwhile methinks that's a bad idea, at least in my case. :)

My next plan is to convince a Bavarian pellet oven company to produce the first 21st century pellet oven.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 06:27:37 PM by Florifulgurator »

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: January 25, 2020, 06:28:57 PM »
<snipped>

<snipped some more>

Meanwhile methinks that's a bad idea, at least in my case. :)

That's progress!
Terry

Florifulgurator

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: January 26, 2020, 02:19:07 AM »
<snipped>

<snipped some more>

Meanwhile methinks that's a bad idea, at least in my case. :)

That's progress!
Terry

Back to topic, looks like Greta came to a similar conclusion :)
Martin

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: February 23, 2020, 04:57:22 PM »
Malena Ernman on daughter Greta Thunberg: ‘She was slowly disappearing into some kind of darkness’

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/feb/23/great-thunberg-malena-ernman-our-house-is-on-fire-memoir-extract
  by Malena Ernman

blumenkraft

« Reply #435 on: February 23, 2020, 05:44:32 PM »
WOW, when i see this picture, i see Greta as the adult. Is this weird...

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: February 23, 2020, 08:47:40 PM »
Greta Thunberg on Twitter: "Heading for the UK! This Friday, the 28th, I’m looking forward to joining the school strike in Bristol! We meet up at College Green 11am! See you there! @bristolYS4C”
https://mobile.twitter.com/gretathunberg/status/1231177354933915649

Juan C. García

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1279
  • Likes Given: 1127
« Reply #437 on: February 24, 2020, 04:18:36 AM »
Of course, I think Greta is the one that will win. Naomi will not last long.
I think that denialism is running out of munitions.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2020/02/23/meet-anti-greta-young-youtuber-campaigning-against-climate-alarmism/
Which is the best answer to Sep-2012 ASI lost (compared to 1979-2000)?
50% [NSIDC Extent] or
73% [PIOMAS Volume]

Volume is harder to measure than extent, but 3-dimensional space is real, 2D's hide ~50% thickness gone.
-> IPCC/NSIDC trends [based on extent] underestimate the real speed of ASI lost.

NevB

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 82
  • Likes Given: 571
« Reply #438 on: February 24, 2020, 05:23:16 AM »
Malena Ernman on daughter Greta Thunberg: ‘She was slowly disappearing into some kind of darkness’

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/feb/23/great-thunberg-malena-ernman-our-house-is-on-fire-memoir-extract
  by Malena Ernman

That's a most extraordinary story, well worth the time to read.

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: February 24, 2020, 01:39:45 PM »
She saw what the rest of us did not want to see. It was as if she could see our CO2 emissions with her naked eye. The invisible, colourless, scentless, soundless abyss that our generation has chosen to ignore.

In a way is is shocking that common people are so good at ignoring all that. The masses take everything for granted and it is not just CO2 but consumerism at large, the division of wealth and even democracy.

It´s good that the younger generation is waking up to the fact that they are being screwed over big time.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
« Reply #440 on: February 24, 2020, 05:29:06 PM »

by Malena Ernman

Svante and Greta have been at the end-of-term ceremony at school where they tried to make themselves invisible in the corridors and stairwells. When students openly point and laugh at you – even though you’re walking alongside your parent – then things have gone too far. Way too far.

Schools, fucking child prisons, brainwashing outfits.
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: February 24, 2020, 06:18:25 PM »
Society gets the schools it invests in.

And did all the other parents raise cruel kids or is there something else at play? In school the social game is played in a pressure cooker way. Teachers should be better equipped to handle this but lots of parents do not give a good example.

I hated basic school, loved high school because it was a good one. Still got some shit there but the same happens in office hell or wherever you hang out with people.

The much more important point is the fact that she can not unsee the CO2 while most of us can just forget about that. The other kids switch to shopping in NY and Barcelona.

Basically we do not see our trained behaviour while she does.

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1012
  • Likes Given: 1034
« Reply #442 on: February 24, 2020, 11:17:05 PM »
Never a truer word Neven .. I have encouraged and supported parents home-educating for most of my life . The outcomes have been a joy to behold .. b.c.
Conflict is the root of all evil , for being blind it does not see whom it attacks . Yet it always attacks the Son Of God , and the Son of God is you .

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: February 25, 2020, 06:42:19 AM »
Quote from: kassy
Basically we do not see our trained behaviour while she does.

That is a very special talent. I have a similar talent but a bit different and of greater scope (I see a.o. social and non-verbal stuff).
I wish that her eyes will further open with time and not get the grown-ups' veil.
Please Greta, don't become a grown-up. You've already learned that not all children are mean and many are bullied just like you. That bullying behaviour is not normal natural for children (humans). It is in part a reaction/adaptation to perceived group behaviour and hierarchy of grown-ups (very toxic). The bullying behaviour is fleeing into a secure group because of fear. Fear of being alone and not belong (and of low hierarchy, unsuccesful). Many children who participate in this are not really bullies but are just too weak and scared to stand on their own. Greta has a lot of courage. Courage that you won't find amongst the bullies. Courage has nothing to do with violence.
... While in tears, Greta swallowed a couple of times and turned back around the corner to face the group of people in front of the houses of parliament. THAT'S COURAGE.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: February 27, 2020, 04:47:06 PM »
Greta Thunberg (@GretaThunberg) 2/25/20, 12:43 PM
So... today I met my role model. What else can I say? @Malala
https://twitter.com/gretathunberg/status/1232360416375967745
Photo below, another at the link.

Florifulgurator

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: February 29, 2020, 08:31:06 PM »
La Vagabonde is putting out videos of their Atlantic crossing with Greta and Svante. There isn't that much footage of them, but some nice shots of private Greta every now and then. One video even shows her dancing. The latest one has more Greta, starting with a little interview, and a classic Aspergerish "The soup doesn't smell horrible. Now back to my depressing audio book..." :) .

Florifulgurator

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: March 05, 2020, 05:06:42 AM »
The times, they are changing...
Nope. Not in Germany. We now have the Klimapillepallekanzlerin <snip>
Meanwhile Germany has the "Werteunion" (a conservative "values committee" within the union of Merkel's CDU party and the Barvarian CSU state party) falling prey to the same fossil propaganda as Germany's krypto Nazi AfD party. Stefan Rahmstorf reports: https://scilogs.spektrum.de/klimalounge/das-klimamanifest-2020-der-werte-union/

Florifulgurator

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: March 10, 2020, 04:49:27 PM »
Meanwhile Greta's Atlantic crossing has a place in history on the same book shelf as Cristopher Columbus 1492.

Funny how Greta's mantra UNITE BEHIND THE SCIENCE gets seriously tested nowadays... Can you feel the Greta Effect in the Dow Jones index? 
:-)

Florifulgurator

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: March 11, 2020, 04:51:12 PM »
Should Naomi be OT?
She is so hilarious, esp. for Germans. Phantastic BBC interview with deja vu all over = ...

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: March 14, 2020, 07:57:21 PM »
Young Swedish activist Greta Thunberg is known, among many other things, for her #fridaysforfuture climate-crisis marches that attract thousands of people, week in, week out, all over the world. On Wednesday, Thunberg posted on Twitter that climate activists should stage digital strikes instead of in-person demonstrations to try to contain the spread of the coronavirus.

Thunberg suggested that activists post photos of themselves striking on Fridays with a sign featuring the hashtags #DigitalStrike and #ClimateStrikeOnline.

Thunberg posted:
We young people are the least affected by this virus but it’s essential that we act in solidarity with the most vulnerable and that we act in the best interest of our common society.

So the kids got to work yesterday protesting on Twitter. Here’s a tweet from Kenya….
https://electrek.co/2020/03/14/climate-crisis-weekly-bears-hibernation-warm-greta-thunberg-new-york-city-cycling/