Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Poll

Which forecasts do you prefer? (3 votes)

Wind @ Surface
4 (16.7%)
Wind + Temp @ Surface
10 (41.7%)
Wind + Temp @ 1000hPa
0 (0%)
Wind + Temp @ 850hPa
4 (16.7%)
Wind @ Surface + Total Precipitable Water
5 (20.8%)
Wind @ Surface + Total Cloud Water
0 (0%)
Another one which I'll write down below
1 (4.2%)
Wind @ Surface + 3-hour Precipitation Accumulation
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Author Topic: Nullschool Forecasts  (Read 46579 times)

Aleph_Null

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 47
  • Likes Given: 253
Re: Nullschool Animations
« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2019, 07:35:36 PM »
This one is awesome Aleph_Null! I've been wanting to do this also, but I still have to figure out how.

Sincere thanks to you & blumenkraft for the initial feedback. Maybe this place is a good graphic test bed. I'm still a bit skeptical of information overload here -- like there's so much going on it's impossible to take it all in. (A complication for me with some layered views I see.)

I'm an old graphic pro from a couple of incarnations ago, hacking about with my prehistoric version of Photoshop. The basic approach: two or more layers are merged into one, over and over, then the merged layers are output as jpegs, thence to EZGif. To pirate Aluminium's artwork I needed a little help from their splitter: https://ezgif.com/split

[EDIT: To be clear: I'm not worried about information overload here in the greenroom, I was referring to my own product -- trying to keep it simple enough to grasp.]
« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 02:43:34 AM by Aleph_Null »

Freegrass

• Young ice
  • Autodidacticism is a complicated word...
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 951
  • Likes Given: 1251
« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2019, 08:20:24 PM »
Last 24h + Five day Forecast

Wind @ Surface
12 - 18 september 3 pm UTC

Use pause function and slider to go frame by frame.
90% of the world is religious, but somehow "love thy neighbour" became "fuck thy neighbours", if they don't agree with your point of view.

WTF happened?

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 14, 2019, 01:54:55 AM »
My first attempt combining Temp + Total Cloud Water + Wind @ Surface
(I'll try to figure out how to reduce the file size next time)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 02:06:49 AM by Freegrass »
90% of the world is religious, but somehow "love thy neighbour" became "fuck thy neighbours", if they don't agree with your point of view.

WTF happened?

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 14, 2019, 02:11:18 AM »
This is probably better for large file sizes. And I can tweet these...  ;D

WTF happened?

blumenkraft

« Reply #54 on: September 14, 2019, 08:02:13 AM »
I hope others like it like i do! :D

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1012
  • Likes Given: 1034
« Reply #55 on: September 14, 2019, 12:27:55 PM »
.. Indeed .. that would allow even me to follow your posts and view as I choose without wasting my data allowance .. so thanks Freegrass . BTW your amazing download numbers on the main threads are just because of the autoloading .. you have been costing a lot .. :)
   pc b.c.
Conflict is the root of all evil , for being blind it does not see whom it attacks . Yet it always attacks the Son Of God , and the Son of God is you .

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
  • Don't Vote NatC or PopCon, Save Lives!
    • View Profile
    • The Arctic sea ice Great White Con
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 87
« Reply #56 on: September 14, 2019, 12:35:23 PM »

Absolutely! See for example:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCu_W8Y3lef2EEjzU-ouiQJg

Any and all likes/subscriptions welcome!
"The most revolutionary thing one can do always is to proclaim loudly what is happening" - Rosa Luxemburg

Aleph_Null

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 14, 2019, 01:35:06 PM »
Twin of this morning's Wind + IWPD animation, without the wind-streaks. At least, supposedly: a few minutes elapse between two runs of screengrabs on Nullschool, and in that interim the forecast settled down markedly in this run. Note the relative absence of wild thrashing in this slightly updated forecast, as compared to the Wind + version.

Hindcast: 9/10 to 9/14, Forecast: 9/14 to 9/18.
IWPD @ 850hPa [Instantaneous Wind Power Density: air density ρ, wind velocity v: ½ρv3]

Aleph_Null

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 14, 2019, 07:09:56 PM »
Oy! It seems to be ton-of-bricks day for me in the main thread today. Silly me, I thought some 10,000 downloads of a previous animation was an indication someone found it interesting. It turns out (I am informed) that everyone who visits the page is forced to download my work! (Unaware that I had this power, I remain mystified how it eludes others.)

It's gotten to the point over there where the very idea of animated data maps is not only irrelevant, but antithetical to a rigorous understanding of atmospheric science. Just nice pretty stuff. It turns out the purpose of the Nullschool Animations thread is to entirely banish our work from the other one. Who knew?

Well here's my meager 1.5 MB (down from 5) of hobbled defiance! Just kidding: I don't have a problem with this smaller version -- I think it's more appropriate for the main thread. But it's sad that intelligent contributors get so squashed around here, sometimes. As a duffer, I'm well-accustomed to the thesis that nobody has much use for me -- so I don't find it discouraging, myself. But I worry about the extremity of hazing around here. Why do we need to flame newcomers so much? (My 5 MB file is far from the largest on that page.)

From now on, the smaller (relatively data-meager) one goes on the main thread, with a link to the bigger one in here. If that isn't an adequate compromise for everyone, I don't know what compromise would look like. I appreciate having a place to show this stuff, because I have personally found it surprisingly informative (about which I hope to say more, later).

Thanks!

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 14, 2019, 09:28:28 PM »
Aleph_Null, what I found out these last 3 months as a Newbie on this forum is that some people here don't like it when new members take away the spotlight from the oldtimers. Al they do is moan and bitch over file sizes, but they fail to reply to any other message I post. So what we have here my dear friend is a textbook example of bigotry. We are excluded from the group... They rather have we left, so they get all the attention again... But who cares? Leave those idiots be. Do what you know to be right, and work together for the benefit of all mankind! ;)

WTF happened?

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 14, 2019, 10:19:29 PM »

Absolutely! See for example:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCu_W8Y3lef2EEjzU-ouiQJg

Any and all likes/subscriptions welcome!
Your only contributions to this thread have been complaints and promotions for your own website.
Please refrain from doing so! If you have some Nullschool animation to contribute or comments on the work that is posted here, feel free to do so! If you only come here to complain and tell people what to do, please go away!

WTF happened?

Aleph_Null

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 15, 2019, 01:53:48 AM »
some people here don't like it when new members...

I'm a thick-skinned relic. I don't mind getting extra hassles from others here -- nobody knows me and why would they suspect my psychedelic swirls are actually concerned with scientific content? Call me names, swear at me, whatever... but this professorial snarky-hints style (as if I'm just an undergraduate, so it's my job to figure out what the hell they want), it can nettle me -- refreshing my memory about why I hated school!

A godfather quote comes to mind: "What have I done to cause you to disrespect me so?"

Anyhow, I'm sorry to drag you back into this silly argument -- when people can just adjust their browser settings or site preferences and not have to act so unpleasant to us, when there are plenty more deserving candidates for accusations of abusing this site. If you'd forgive just a half-tsp of unsolicited advice from me, I'd urge you not to waste a moment's mental energy diagnosing the bizarre syndromes of haters. We got other stuff to do!

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 15, 2019, 09:03:55 AM »

Wind @ Surface
14 - 20 september 3 am UTC

WTF happened?

MyACIsDying

« Reply #63 on: September 15, 2019, 10:25:50 AM »
There's many good reasons why MB's per comment should be ratio'd. All users with limited bandwidth (time to load) and data caps are affected. Advise to get around that with plugins is nice but, it's complicated, sometimes not possible (locked settings) and doesn't work for mobile users? I like to have as little as plugins as possible for privacy reasons..

One person may be complaining but possibly he's doing so for many lurkers & folks who don't want to get in an argument or ask for help with this config.

So the discussion of MB per comment value is a valid one. Please have it respectfully. I don't know what your godfather did to you Aleph_Null but no-one here has done something worth being disrespectful of.. just a discussion of an equation to be found. Having all hind/forecasts gif in a separate thread was a good solution imho, let's leave it at that?

pleun

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 27
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #64 on: September 15, 2019, 11:01:51 AM »
lol, I think he meant this one :

Don Vito Corleone: What have I ever done to make you treat me so disrespectfully? If you’d come to me in friendship, then this scum that ruined your daughter would be suffering this very day. And if by chance an honest man like yourself should make enemies, then they would become my enemies. And then they would fear you.

The Godfather

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 15, 2019, 11:20:28 AM »
Your only contributions to this thread have been complaints and promotions for your own website.

If you only come here to complain and tell people what to do, please go away!

Before I do that I'd just like to point out that you've managed to scrape into the GWC "New Einstein" contest for 2019 at the very last moment:

http://GreatWhiteCon.info/2019/03/the-great-white-con-2019-new-einstein-award/#Freegrass

In case it's not immediately apparent to you I'm a thick-skinned relic with a very dry Anglo-Saxon sense of humour. Now I'm off to troll Anthony Watts (amongst others!) a bit more.

"The most revolutionary thing one can do always is to proclaim loudly what is happening" - Rosa Luxemburg

gandul

« Reply #66 on: September 15, 2019, 11:43:05 AM »
I want to clarify the “troll” comment about JH. First it was not meant as insult but as he is very good using his native language (British English) and superb elite rhetoric against deniers and occasionally here with a new member.
Second, the problem with animations is one of confusion/lack of clarification. I am going to be constructive and collect what seems to be the common demands, perhaps somebody can solidify them somewhere:

- If one can go all the way to YouTube, seems the best option. Size UNLIMITED for the main thread.
- If you are with mp4, the jump to YT seems easy (upload it to your channel there; the embedding  here is just writing the YT video url and works like a charm)
- If you are with gif, or stuck with mp4, don’t post over 1.5MB in the main thread, or make it bigger than 700x pixels.
- if you cannot comply with any of the above, post it over here and link to main thread for discussion.

Yeah there one complaining about the sole existence of animations cluttering the main thread. I guess not everybody can be pleased wharever...

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1012
  • Likes Given: 1034
« Reply #67 on: September 15, 2019, 11:55:36 AM »
to clarify ,I have no complaint about animations .. I love them , but not as compulsory data demanding versions of a dollied up forecast devouring my data every time I visit a main thread ..
 Freegrass claims a concern for the environment then insists on my and every visitor's participation in 'fucking' it up .. what is that about ? Is that what being a 'dummy' is ?
 I have no bias toward old posters .. blumenkraft and others can vouch for that . I have a bias toward useful information delivered efficiently . Hence I guess I shall not be a frequent visitor to this thread .
 Have a nice day
 b.c.
Conflict is the root of all evil , for being blind it does not see whom it attacks . Yet it always attacks the Son Of God , and the Son of God is you .

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 15, 2019, 12:46:02 PM »
I want to clarify the “troll” comment about JH.

Thanks for that Gandul, and no offence taken. Did I mention that I'm very thick skinned?!

Thanks very much also for your heads up about Donald Trump.

blumenkraft

« Reply #69 on: September 15, 2019, 01:31:38 PM »
blumenkraft and others can vouch for that .

I hereby do! :)

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 15, 2019, 02:39:16 PM »

Wind + Temp @ Surface

14 - 20 september

« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 03:02:33 PM by Freegrass »

WTF happened?

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 15, 2019, 04:30:24 PM »
Latest 24h + Five day Forecast

Wind + Temp @ Surface
Combined!

14 - 20 september

YouTube really does do a lousy job converting them...

« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 04:41:03 PM by Freegrass »

WTF happened?

Aleph_Null

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 15, 2019, 11:49:07 PM »
So the discussion of MB per comment value is a valid one.

I appreciate your concern, and thank you much for posting it here. I'll be severely "rationing" my posts to the main thread in response to the concerns I heard yesterday. I have zero problem with that. My own work is mainly scrupulously-handled GFS data maps, of late provenance. There's nothing to disrespect in that -- suggestions that such material belongs on YouTube are in-your-face disrespect to nothing but the work I do, which I do competently, I'll insist.

I should not have to defend the legitimacy of a 1.5 MB hindcast/forecast of GFS data as a post in the melting thread, where it is not only relevant, but obviously in high demand. Further attacks on this work, after I have compressed it into a low-rez version, would be uncalled for.

I'm contributing work here in ASIF, and here alone, unlike anything else. I'm comfortable with and accustomed to my work going unappreciated, but I at least hope to avoid having to call out unnecessary disrespect to this work.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 12:14:33 AM by Aleph_Null »

Aleph_Null

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 16, 2019, 02:09:30 AM »
On the subject of where the "downloaded" count comes from, my scientific investigation of the evidence in the form of 50-post pages of the main thread reveals:

Damn! Mostly right, I think.

I observe a consistent pattern of high counts for highly-placed mp4's, steadily decreasing for each mp4 lower on the page. Every once in a while something breaks the pattern to show some influence of actual clicks, of uncertain importance.

Now I feel terrible about this. I hope the low-rez 1.5 MB isn't too much. It turns out, the way they design browsers, mp4's are more consequential in terms of traffic than I would have dreamed possible. I'm a lowly artist, trapped in a universe where they've made the most efficient compression algorithm for animated content into something toxic. In a sane world, protesters would be mobbing the offices of browser vendors, demanding they stop carbon-wasteful practices. (I'm totally serious there: it's a huge issue all over the internet.)

You see, it's also wasteful for the wires to be carrying files three times the size. There's no responsible option for me. The way they've set up this world: it sucks.

Aleph_Null

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 16, 2019, 02:49:14 AM »
Okay. Chastened and ashamed, I undertook to shrink the low-rez version so much, the timestamp is nearly illegible. This puppy is now down to < 600 KB. Still, the emphatic aspect of IWPD data maps retains a broad, basic description of 850hPa, even at such a tiny size, so it's okay.

Another thing evident from this pass: my intent is not to make something pretty. When the forecast gets all jittery and can't decide what's next, that's more interesting than "pretty" to me.

[Edit: it needs to be slower than this, which increased filesize in one test, and decreased it in another. Hoping against hope for clear sailing and tiny, well-behaved files...]

« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 03:15:44 AM by Aleph_Null »

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 16, 2019, 01:56:13 PM »

Wind @ Surface
September 15 - 21

WTF happened?

Aleph_Null

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 16, 2019, 02:25:50 PM »
Hindcast: 9/12 to 9/16, Forecast: 9/16 to 9/20.
IWPD @ 850hPa, Wind + IWPD @ 850hPa (full-size versions)

[Instantaneous Wind Power Density: air density ρ, wind velocity v: ½ρv3]

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 16, 2019, 07:20:25 PM »
Five day Forecast

Wind + Temp @ Surface
September 16 - 21

WTF happened?

binntho

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 878
  • Likes Given: 235
« Reply #78 on: September 17, 2019, 06:48:25 AM »
Sitting in a Derg era hotel in Addis Ababa and trying to follow this thread has certainly turned me into a minimalist. The smaller the better (in most things ...  8) )

But the YouTube embedding seems to be the one that works best, from the tropics anyway!
because a thing is eloquently expressed it should not be taken to be as necessarily true
St. Augustine, Confessions V, 6

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 17, 2019, 08:29:43 AM »
Five day Forecast

Wind + Temp @ Surface
September 17 - 22
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 05:04:29 PM by Freegrass »

WTF happened?

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 17, 2019, 01:51:49 PM »
Five day Forecast
September 17 - 22

Wind @ Surface + Total Precipitable Water

WTF happened?

Aleph_Null

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 17, 2019, 06:40:48 PM »
But the YouTube embedding seems to be the one that works best, from the tropics anyway!

There may be infrastructural reasons, with how they've set things up, which make video stream better out of YouTube (hopefully without too many commercials, not yet). I'm in the awkward position of having to withstand some irrational generalizations about mpeg's, stemming from situations like this. (Picture how you might feel to hear amateurs confidently expounding on a field in which you know better.)

So forgive me for lecturing a moment on MPEG. I had a previous question about compression anyhow. It stands for "Motion Picture Experts Group" (as JPEG is "Joint Photographic Experts Group") to standardize how lossy compression works for digitized content. For some visual content, the integrity of each pixel might be so important that a lossless compression scheme, such as gif, is preferred. But lossless never squeezes as much as lossy.

Usually, it's going to make the most sense to compress animations via MPEG (the "mp4" revision mainly concerned enabling copy protection). It's the medium, now. In my opinion, relatively small data-intensive movies are particularly useful when downloaded into a local viewer to toggle back and forth, etc. That's why there are timestamps in my work. Different movies belong in different places, depending on what they are.

The most sensible place to archive or retrieve the data-maps I scrutinize is here, in my opinion, with the other archived data concerning the Arctic Sea Ice. Beyond that, there really is a danger in consigning all movies in the world to YouTube. (Maybe all books belong in Modesto, CA. Nobody reads anymore, anyhow.)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 07:42:34 PM by Aleph_Null »

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 17, 2019, 07:24:24 PM »

Wind @ Surface
September 16 - 22

WTF happened?

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5289
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #83 on: September 17, 2019, 08:23:23 PM »

Beyond that, there really is a danger in consigning all movies in the world to YouTube. (Maybe all books belong in Modesto, CA. Nobody reads anymore, anyhow.)
There is no guarantee that Youtube will not end bankrupt. Plenty of others have.

Some of us still read stuff on paper. We aren't all dead - yet.

By the way, the building in Mostar, former Yugoslavia, that housed the land records was mortared, blown up and burnt. Most of the paper records in the ledgers survived. Anything on computers did not.

A recent bbc article on what Trump is doing to science included that many thousands of pages about climate have been disappeared from the Government websites. Destroyed or just hidden ?

One day the ASIF will be no more - and the data stored in it? Who knows.

Anyway, I store my data in more than place. Total reliance on, e.g. the cloud, is an invitation to disaster.
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

Aleph_Null

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 18, 2019, 12:41:56 AM »
A recent bbc article on what Trump is doing to science included that many thousands of pages about climate have been disappeared from the Government websites. Destroyed or just hidden ?

If you have to guess, you haven't been paying attention...

Gosh, I'm so honored by your presence and your comment here, I can't let the occasion pass without at least a bit of appropriate groveling. I am so unworthy. Putting out the data day after day, formatted consistently so it's easy to quickly scan, with just a light touch of commentary. I don't know how you summon the energy to keep doing so much every day, but if the knowledge that you are adored as a demigod all over the globe helps, there you are.

THANK YOU FOREVER, GERONTOCRAT!

There, maybe that's emphatic enough. (I'm done with that business now, don't worry.)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 12:50:49 AM by Aleph_Null »

blumenkraft

« Reply #85 on: September 18, 2019, 09:51:40 AM »
+1

uniquorn

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2163
  • Likes Given: 388
« Reply #86 on: September 18, 2019, 12:21:29 PM »
I wonder if nullschool animators could help me identify the dark weather event that shows up on this ascat animation travelling from chukchi to the caa, day249-253? (sep6-10)
A quick look back suggests a fast moving high pressure cyclone.
I'm looking for reasons for a sharp salinity drop in itp104-5 here https://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php/topic,2417.msg229014.html#msg229014

thanks, ascat ani removed
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 09:50:31 PM by uniquorn »

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 18, 2019, 01:02:26 PM »
Looking back on Nullschool, I don't see a big event around that time. I started this thread on September 9, so the graphics from around that time should still be found on the main melting season thread, or on Nullschool directly.

https://earth.nullschool.net/#2019/09/06/0000Z/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-45.02,91.24,1829

WTF happened?

Aleph_Null

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 18, 2019, 01:07:59 PM »
travelling from chukchi to the caa, day249-253? (sep6-10)

I've only been tracking this mixture of wind speed and density at 850hPa, because it's a loud one, and I wanted to concentrate on one. But it's also shaky, and even the hindcasts take a few days to settle down as data assimilation continues. So the most reliable hindcasts I have to offer would be the ones starting on the 6th, and on the 8th (taken on the 10th & 12th, all times are UTC, of course):

https://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=2591.0;attach=132556
https://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=2591.0;attach=132733

Aleph_Null

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 18, 2019, 01:21:20 PM »
Hindcast: 9/14 to 9/18, Forecast: 9/18 to 9/22.

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 18, 2019, 02:29:55 PM »
September 17 - 23

Wind + Temp @ Surface + Total Cloud Water
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 02:45:54 PM by Freegrass »

WTF happened?

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 18, 2019, 08:00:53 PM »
Five day Forecast
September 18 - 23

Wind @ Surface

WTF happened?

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 19, 2019, 01:25:39 AM »
September 17 - 23

Wind + Temp @ 850hPa

WTF happened?

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 19, 2019, 01:57:20 PM »
Five day Forecast
September 19 - 24

Wind + Temp @ Surface

Converted with this free new site I found where you can choose which file size you want and convert it to any type of video you like.
https://www.online-convert.com/

WTF happened?

Aleph_Null

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 19, 2019, 07:02:54 PM »
Amateur Scientist?

I recently endured a very unpleasant encounter with a writer at a party. He liked to fling the word "science" about, but didn't like being politely asked to explain what he means in his usage of that word. It can destroy a friendship, for me, if I sense careless abuse of science. (Incidentally, I grew up marinated in such abuse, under the ridiculous moniker "Christian Science" -- which, of course, is manifestly neither.)

What is an amateur scientist? There's a real briar-patch of a question, imho. Climate Science has benefited from pivotal contributions of amateurs as far back as Guy Stewart Callendar (https://history.aip.org/climate/co2.htm#SC), and so continues. Most notable are the contributions of our host. Beyond garnering the respect he deserves for his well-grounded ideas, Neven excels, possibly beyond the skills of any other genius on Earth, at "herding cats." (I'm old enough to just say what I think, even when it automatically goes into the brown-nose bin.) In a few cases, it's easy to say: that's an amateur scientist.

In most cases, there's a hazard of implicitly getting slipshod about science. My own amateur specialty is Mathematical Logic, a field too general to exclude Philosophy, but too specialized to live there. My studies lead to growing uncertainty regarding what kind of beast Mathematical Logic is or ever has been. I don't call myself an amateur scientist, but I know enough to scrupulously preserve the integrity of scientific data passing through my hands. We do keep in mind: To knowingly distribute a false or distorted weather forecast is a serious crime.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 07:15:28 PM by Aleph_Null »

uniquorn

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2163
  • Likes Given: 388
« Reply #95 on: September 19, 2019, 09:54:19 PM »
Amateur Scientist?
I don't call myself an amateur scientist, but I know enough to scrupulously preserve the integrity of scientific data passing through my hands. We do keep in mind: To knowingly distribute a false or distorted weather forecast is a serious crime.
Crikey. I hope that isn't me

philopek

« Reply #96 on: September 19, 2019, 10:02:24 PM »
Five day Forecast
September 19 - 24

Wind + Temp @ Surface

Converted with this free new site I found where you can choose which file size you want and convert it to any type of video you like.
https://www.online-convert.com/

Useful link, bookmarked among others, thanks.

Aleph_Null

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 19, 2019, 10:45:42 PM »
Crikey. I hope that isn't me

To be clear: Uniquorn's sister Shirley U. Giest inspired that post.

Out here in Nullschool Animations I feel so relieved to be able to go on and on about how much I admire Uniquorn's works, which are an inspiration to me, without worrying about Freegrass swooping down to responsibly reprove me for going OT again. ("We have an Abject Adoration thread for that purpose.") I like it here!

Aleph_Null

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 20, 2019, 01:17:56 PM »
Hindcast: 9/16 to 9/20, Forecast: 9/20 to 9/24.

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 20, 2019, 01:47:56 PM »
September 19 - 25

Wind + Temp @ Surface
Wind @ Surface + Total Cloud Water + Temp @ Surface

WTF happened?