Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Does arctic ocean also show a indication of Mpemba effect?  (Read 321 times)

peterlvmeng

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 22
  • Likes Given: 9
Does arctic ocean also show a indication of Mpemba effect?
« on: November 12, 2019, 02:05:33 AM »
We know the Mpemba effect describes the phenomenon that temperature of hotter water decrease more fast than cool water with surrounding temperature belows 0 degree. The arctic ocean also shows a fast freezing and now the Dmi 80N anamoly also shows a dramatic decrease. It is interesting. I know Mpemba effect is controversial right now and hardly to be verified sometimes. But it is really interesting.

kassy

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 362
  • Likes Given: 377
Re: Does arctic ocean also show a indication of Mpemba effect?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2019, 01:52:12 PM »
How many buoys would we need to tease that out?

Just looking at the refreeze maps i would say no though.

And: Schaatser Max Dohle onderzocht het effect bij vorst in de buitenlucht. Daarbij bleek dat een glas koud water bij herhaling sneller bevroor dan een glas warm water. Onder natuurlijke omstandigheden kon het Mpemba-effect dus niet worden aangetoond.

Ice skater Max Dohle researched the effect in outdoor frost. A glass of cold water always freezes quicker then a glass of warm water. Under natural conditions the Mpemba effect could not be demonstrated.

https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mpemba-effect

I don´t think it is relevant because the arctic water is as warm or cold as it is and then freezes when it gets cold enough. No Chuckchi flash freeze in sight. 

Also you are never going to see 42 and 18 C water next to eachother in the arctic. The Mpenda effect is temperature dependent and the ranges of arctic water are probably outside the zone (for now  ;) ).

See graph at the top here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mpemba_effect

Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.