Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: The Climatic Effects of a Blue Ocean Event  (Read 58774 times)

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2052
  • Likes Given: 1988
Re: The Climatic Effects of a Blue Ocean Event
« Reply #300 on: March 22, 2021, 08:26:35 PM »
re #298:

You are talking about idealized conditions.

It matters which state the sea ice is in.

Square A has part open water but the rest is solid ice damping the wave action. The ice is one block.
All over the ice block it reflects the sun until melt ponds set in.

If the edge is really thin it will melt fast, if it is thicker it will stay a while.

Square B is already open so the first rays of light already warm the water and thus promote convection.

What matters in the long run is that we have more and more of the latter type. There is no one thickness because it is a moving target. It is not either/or since over the seasons we get more open water then we used to have.
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

John Batteen

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 60
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #301 on: March 23, 2021, 12:31:25 AM »
Above are the global temperature reconstructions of the Holocene that I know about. I see no evidence of abruptness outside of the margins provided by the graph at year 16000. This margin of error is very important.

If you tell me what actual studies those images came from I'll find you where in the study it says essentially this:
Quote from: xkcd
Limits of this data:
Short warming or cooling spikes might be "smoothed out" by these reconstructions, but only if they're small or brief enough.

Archimid

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 899
  • Likes Given: 206
« Reply #302 on: March 24, 2021, 10:12:44 AM »
I think AGW is CURRENTLY not a big issue.

AGW is already costing billions and as the polar cap degrades the increase in cost will be exponential and trackable to the Arctic.  Eventually, wars and megadisasters will break out and agriculture will fail, not because of warmth, but because the human infrastructure will be destroyed by the new climate.

How did you come across all this?  I have found very little credible scientific research to support these claims.

You can't find what you don't want to find. You have to want to find it. You could find much of it here in this forum. But that is not what you want. Can't make you see what you are terrified to see.
I am an energy reservoir seemingly intent on lowering entropy for self preservation.