Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: The off topic off topic thread  (Read 45040 times)

Alexander555

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 185
  • Likes Given: 49
Re: The off topic off topic thread
« Reply #150 on: February 08, 2021, 05:22:56 PM »
He Kassy, is there any hope for an elfstedentocht this year ?

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2051
  • Likes Given: 1988
« Reply #151 on: February 08, 2021, 06:16:00 PM »
LOL

Well of course there is speculation but you need a specific set of circumstances.
First of it needs to be cold for a while and that one checks out for next week although it might be already phasing out then.

Other conditions needed: not too much or ideally no new snow over the ice because that inhibits ice  growth. This might be a problem because here it is a rather constant downpour of tiny snowflakes and i bet they have the same.

If you have both cold and no snow you also want a little wind but not to much but i do not think it is relevant now.

Then there are other details like Covid. Events are banned. Some elite sports like soccer but also ice skating have bubbles and exemptions. Of course the Marathon skaters now want that too but the official Elfstedentocht commision already said they can not organize it.

The other talk is the dutch natural ice marathon championship which was last contested 8 years ago. And yes it is very sad that they will have to wait for the next one in who knows how many months but ofc the elite sports get a pass because the are regular TV filler.

So yes there is hope but it is in vain.
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

nanning

• Nilas ice
  • 0Kg CO₂, 37 KWh/wk,125L H₂O/wk, No offspring
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 273
  • Likes Given: 23170
« Reply #152 on: February 11, 2021, 06:43:35 AM »
A taste of humour from Friesland (Fryslân).
(3m52)
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly" - Bertrand Russell
"It is preoccupation with what other people from your groups think of you, that prevents you from living freely and nobly" - Nanning
Why do you keep accumulating stuff?

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1017
  • Likes Given: 1045
« Reply #153 on: February 11, 2021, 12:06:09 PM »
great to see you at last .. :) b.c.
There is no death , the Son of God is We .

Gerntocratis#1

« Reply #154 on: March 02, 2021, 09:10:13 PM »
I'm hoping a lot of posters return for the melting season, especially Friv.

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3589
  • Likes Given: 3940
« Reply #155 on: March 02, 2021, 09:14:43 PM »
Careful what you wish for... Friv usually comes when the ice is crashing.

But you can already see how the thread suddenly became very active as soon as a few days of losses came along. Many posters will come out of their hibernation, rest assured.

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 826
« Reply #156 on: March 02, 2021, 09:47:06 PM »
Some of us hibernate with our mouths open (or fingers tapping).
 :P
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

Alexander555

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 185
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #157 on: March 16, 2021, 07:58:05 PM »
Is all the smoke from clearing farmland ?

HapHazard

• Grease ice
  • Chillin' on Cold Mountain.
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 284
  • Likes Given: 5252
« Reply #158 on: March 20, 2021, 03:21:53 AM »
i think i drank too many of these but goddammit it tasted like dessert so no regrets

If I call you out but go no further, the reason is Brandolini's law.

grixm

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 374
  • Likes Given: 131
« Reply #159 on: March 20, 2021, 10:53:59 AM »
https://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php/topic,467.msg303758.html#msg303758

What in the world are those music videos I see on the bottom of https://fdlalaska.org/
Am I dreaming?

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 20, 2021, 04:48:42 PM »
No i see them too but well spotted and pretty funny. Nice science communication.
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

Sepp

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 40
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #161 on: March 22, 2021, 10:45:45 PM »
@kassy: Whenever I read your signature, I wish, the Þ would replace the th in the English language again. I just like the look of it...  ::)

HapHazard

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 25, 2021, 08:27:17 PM »
@kassy: Whenever I read your signature, I wish, the Þ would replace the th in the English language again. I just like the look of it...  ::)

Well, Sepp, today's your lucky day:

non-related image of the day: There appears to be a clog in the drain...

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 29, 2021, 08:06:02 PM »
From time to time someone shares on the ASIF their dismissive opinion about Americans because Americans are church-goers and that church-going is anathema to science thinking.  These 'someones' may be cheered by this news:
Gallop.com

Americans’ membership in houses of worship continued to decline last year, dropping below 50% for the first time in Gallup’s eight-decade trend.

In 2020, 47% of Americans said they belonged to a church, synagogue or mosque, down from 50% in 2018 and 70% in 1999.

The graph looks like it has an exponential drop.  Excel suggests not, but a 2nd-order polynomial projected into the future suggests there will be no church-going by 2070.  (I certainly will not be attending 'church' [in my case 'meeting'] then.)  Reminds me of the graph I crafted in 2013 suggesting an ice-free Arctic by 2019.

Sigh.
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

Freegrass

• Young ice
  • Autodidacticism is a complicated word
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 955
  • Likes Given: 1260
« Reply #164 on: March 30, 2021, 02:06:21 AM »
From time to time someone shares on the ASIF their dismissive opinion about Americans because Americans are church-goers and that church-going is anathema to science thinking.  These 'someones' may be cheered by this news:
Gallop.com

Americans’ membership in houses of worship continued to decline last year, dropping below 50% for the first time in Gallup’s eight-decade trend.

In 2020, 47% of Americans said they belonged to a church, synagogue or mosque, down from 50% in 2018 and 70% in 1999.

The graph looks like it has an exponential drop.  Excel suggests not, but a 2nd-order polynomial projected into the future suggests there will be no church-going by 2070.  (I certainly will not be attending 'church' [in my case 'meeting'] then.)  Reminds me of the graph I crafted in 2013 suggesting an ice-free Arctic by 2019.

Sigh.
Who would want to be associated with a church that supports Trump and white supremacy?
This is probably one of the better things he destroyed; The credibility of the church.
90% of the world is religious, but somehow "love thy neighbour" became "fuck thy neighbours", if they don't agree with your point of view.

WTF happened?

interstitial

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 574
  • Likes Given: 96
« Reply #165 on: March 30, 2021, 03:35:03 AM »
Gallop.com

Sigh.
Who would want to be associated with a church that supports Trump and white supremacy?
This is probably one of the better things he destroyed; The credibility of the church.
Their is great variability in peoples beliefs. A recent poll suggest trump did more to drive church goers away from republicans rather than away from church. Many church goers spend far more time trying to help people than finding fault in others.

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 30, 2021, 10:32:10 AM »
Their is great variability in peoples beliefs. A recent poll suggest trump did more to drive church goers away from republicans rather than away from church. Many church goers spend far more time trying to help people than finding fault in others.
It looks like some people have been talking behind my back again about my Big Brother tweets I presume? Sad...

That some people here (a moderator with a pick on me I presume) would use my social media posts to turn people against me on this forum, is truly pathetic...
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 11:03:20 AM by Freegrass »
90% of the world is religious, but somehow "love thy neighbour" became "fuck thy neighbours", if they don't agree with your point of view.

WTF happened?

interstitial

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 30, 2021, 07:38:44 PM »
It looks like some people have been talking behind my back again about my Big Brother tweets I presume? Sad...

That some people here (a moderator with a pick on me I presume) would use my social media posts to turn people against me on this forum, is truly pathetic...
I have not been saying anything behind your back nor have I heard anyone else doing so. I have no knowledge about any tweets you have made. My comment is in direct response to yours to you directly. I do not have the time nor inclination to waste to be that focused on you specifically. When you make a hate filled comment about religion I usually respond. I do not appreciate the hostile environment you create with your attacks on religion in general. Vilifying such a diverse group of people is not a good look on anyone.

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 30, 2021, 08:22:02 PM »
I have not been saying anything behind your back nor have I heard anyone else doing so. I have no knowledge about any tweets you have made. My comment is in direct response to yours to you directly. I do not have the time nor inclination to waste to be that focused on you specifically. When you make a hate filled comment about religion I usually respond. I do not appreciate the hostile environment you create with your attacks on religion in general. Vilifying such a diverse group of people is not a good look on anyone.
These extreme American white supremist religious nutcases believe that the world was created by God some 6000 years ago. They don't believe in evolution, nor climate change, or that the actions of people have an impact on the planet... Because God is in control!

It is therefore completely normal they would be criticized on a forum like this, knowing they have a lot of power in the most powerful nation on earth...

My apologies if my assumption was wrong about someone contacting you in private! I do know it's happening again... And it's sad!

WTF happened?

interstitial

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 30, 2021, 09:41:13 PM »
These extreme American white supremist religious nutcases believe that the world was created by God some 6000 years ago. They don't believe in evolution, nor climate change, or that the actions of people have an impact on the planet... Because God is in control!
There are unfortunately many religious people who fit your description.

I am religious and far from perfect.
I do not believe in or support white supremacy. I have on occasion said or acted in a racist manner but I am trying to learn the lessons of my religion and treating everyone like God's children. I am improving on this. I believe in evolution as the physical mechanism God used to create life on earth. The notion that evolution was directed by a supreme being has no impact on the science in my eyes. Science just furthers are understanding of what God did. I believe in climate change the evidence is too overwhelming to dismiss. I am not aware of most religions commenting on this issue. I believe God gave people stewardship over the planet and we will be held accountable for that stewardship. I believe God gave us agency to choose right from wrong and unfortunately we frequently make the wrong choice. I believe God gave us a home of great beauty and we have done much to desecrate that home. These views are not the same as all religions. The diversity in beliefs is as diverse as any large group of people. All All African-Americans do not believe X or do Y. Neither do all religious people believe X or do Y. Many who believe in God share my beliefs and many do not. Vilifying a group is the first step in dehumanizing them. If left unchecked it eventually leads to violence against that group whether they deserve it or not. That is why I respond to your comments on religion.

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 30, 2021, 10:25:34 PM »
The notion that evolution was directed by a supreme being has no impact on the science in my eyes. Science just furthers are understanding of what God did.
This is such an important sentence IMHO... As you may or may not know, I'm agnostic. I had an experience that would make any sane man believe in God indefinitely... and I promised Him on that day that if He showed me the frog fish, that I would believe in Him for the rest of my life... (I prayed underwater to show me a frog fish so I could show it to my customer (I was a divemaster then, guiding tourists) and 5 minutes later He showed me 2... a mother and her baby... So rare!)

But who is He? Is he a fiction of our imagination? Do people have an error in the brain that makes us believe in something like Gods because of coincidental situations? Would I have seen those frog fish anyway without praying? Are angels an ancient alien race that was able to upload their brain into a computer, and then discovered they could upload themselves onto some undiscovered universal highway, spreading digitally all over the universe? Is reincarnation a digital alien that needs our bodies so it can have a life in the flesh again? Who knows? ( I was very stoned when I came up with this theory ;D )

Science just furthers our understanding of what God did

How about science is the discovery of who God truly is? Is God Math? Math surely makes us understand the universe. The big bang happened because of what? Because we're on the other side of a black hole from another universe? Then how did that other universe come into existence?

If God is creation, He started life with a bang... and the laws of physics...

Does God exist? We can't prove it... Just like we can't prove He doesn't exist...

I just know that religious books are written by (flawed) people. They are basically books of moral rules. A way for humans to co-exist...

And I also know that if I go into a psychiatric institution, and I tell them that I can speak with God, and that He told me to write down 10 laws while I was sitting down on a mountain, that they'll either lock me up, or give me some very powerful medication...

Buddha though us to meditate, and to find peace within ourselves... And then the whole world would be at peace... No God! Because we are all (part of) God...

And now I know Neven's hair is standing up straight on his back.. He hates religious discussions like this on his forum...   ;D :-\

Is God a creation of humans? Or did God create humans?
And that's why I'm agnostic... If God was real, we humans wouldn't be smart enough to understand Him... ;)

(alcohol day with weed cookies! ;D )
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 11:50:44 PM by Freegrass »

WTF happened?

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 31, 2021, 01:23:04 AM »
It sucks doesn't it when someone credibly challenges your believes?

What would you be left with if you believed in a junky idiot like me?

And so we pray...

When factual science is in conflict with our beliefs, we cuddle up in our own delusional fantasy where everything starts making sense again...

God is a superhero! He's almighty, and fictional!

I'm gonna regret all this when I sober up tomorrow, ain't I?

NO FUCKIN' WAY!!!

This world is dying for a reason...
It's filled with idiots that kill for delusional fantasies, ego, and greed...
WE ARE THE VIRUS!!!

But don't worry... God'll save us all! LMAO ROTF PIMP
Just not the animals...
That's an Indian thing...
Why would I want to come back as a cow?
LMAO ROTF...
FUCK ANIMALS!!!
GO HUMANS!
The only species on the planet that destroys its own habitat...

Current World Population
AND STILL GROWING!!!!
https://www.worldometers.info/world-population/

Even with a virus - you could say God send out to decimate his worst creation if you believe in that shit?

But hey... Religious extreme right wing nutcases of all religions said it came out of a lab...
That way they wouldn't have to believe in evolution and natural balance and all that shit, would they?

God wouldn't do this to people, would he?
We are people!!!!
WE ARE SUPREME TO ALL LIFE!!!
And the whiter we are, the better it is...

Just look at Jesus, he was white, wasn't He?
Why would we white people want worship a non white Palestinian?
That wouldn't make any sense now, would it?
So let's make Jesus white!

And don't tell anyone He was actually the reincarnation of a Buddhist monk!
You know.. 3 wise men.. coming from the east... lost years and all that...

All this shit is so easy... But people still don't get it, do we?
We're so arrogant...
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 03:02:11 AM by Freegrass »

WTF happened?

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 31, 2021, 02:18:18 AM »
A. DO NOT POST when drunk. FG, you should know this by now.
B. DO NOT DISCUSS religion. All should know this by now. Each have their own beliefs.

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 31, 2021, 02:46:01 AM »
A. DO NOT POST when drunk. FG, you should know this by now.
B. DO NOT DISCUSS religion. All should know this by now. Each have their own beliefs.
This is the Off topic off topic thread, and 84% of the people in this world are religious... But we can't talk about 84% of the delusional people that are destroying this planet because that'll offend the teachings in their stupid book they grew up with?
In the Off Topic Off Topic Thread on a science forum?

OMG!!!
Time to find a new forum I guess where science and free speech truly matters...
This forum is crawling with idiots that don't even have the decency to reply to me when I'm sober and putting in an effort...

No matter what I do, I still get the cold shoulder here after all these years...
WELL FUCK YOU ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(well maybe not all... Mostly the registered longtimers with a huge ego...)

NOT YOU OREN!
You've been quite fair to me over the years, and I respect you for that.

I'll go sleep now...
BUT THIS WAS SOME GOOD SHIT!!!  ;D
So happy I was able to write this...  :)
https://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php/topic,2995.msg304532.html#msg304532

Will anyone actually try to understand?
I doubt it...

Good night!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 03:20:17 AM by Freegrass »

WTF happened?

KiwiGriff

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 710
  • Likes Given: 379
« Reply #174 on: March 31, 2021, 08:29:52 AM »
M U S T  N O T  D I S C U S S   R E L I G I O N.
But fuck is it tempting .
I will just leave this here and say no more.

Losing our religion | Stats NZ https://www.stats.govt.nz › news › losing-our-religion
In the 2018 Census, 2,264,601 people in the census usually resident population count reported they had no religion. The 2018 Census results showed almost half the population (48.2 percent) had no religion, compared with 41.9 percent in the 2013 Census, 34.6 percent in the 2006 Census, and 29.6 in the 2001 Census.2/10/2019

Animals can be driven crazy by placing too many in too small a pen. Homo sapiens is the only animal that voluntarily does this to himself.
Notebooks of Lazarus Long.
Robert Heinlein.

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: March 31, 2021, 04:09:55 PM »
Freegrrass , I see you attacking mods again .. when you claim one is working against you , you usually mean me . But the sad truth is I don't give a FUCK about what you get up to here so long as you do not attack people . I know nothing of your social media presence , and am certainly not wasting my time talking @ you .. until now . I have not (until today ) read any of your posts outside of the sea ice section in some time . You are welcome to talk all day here @ religion .. Oren is not in charge in this section , and unless Neven barks ... b.c.

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: March 31, 2021, 04:24:30 PM »

The do not discuss religion policy predates us so Oren is merely reminding you of that.

As to why it is frowned upon consider the following: how many posts would it take for an atheist to convince a religious person to change his or her mind? And what mess might ensue in the meantime. And feelings carry over so you will get snipes relating the discussion mentioned in the other fora.

It does not solve anything, it makes nobody happier and no one learns from it because you already have a different fundamental outlook.

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 31, 2021, 04:37:25 PM »
 I await Neven's response on the subject .  God's existence has been proven beyond all reasonable doubt in my own life after 40 years of happy atheism . b.c.

HapHazard

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 31, 2021, 08:36:23 PM »
god is Schrodinger's goalposts

Human Habitat Index

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 51
  • Likes Given: 368
« Reply #179 on: March 31, 2021, 11:59:08 PM »
I am a spiritual being having a human experience rather than a human being having a spiritual experience.

That's why I can face the next and last El Nino.
There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance. That principle is contempt prior to investigation. - Herbert Spencer

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: April 01, 2021, 03:13:58 AM »
''I am a spiritual being having a human experience rather than a human being having a spiritual experience.''
  ^^^ I wholeheartedly agree .

Kassy :
''how many posts would it take for a punk to convince a rapper person to change his or her mind? And what mess might ensue in the meantime. And feelings carry over so you will get snipes relating the discussion mentioned in the other fora.

It does not solve anything, it makes nobody happier and no one learns from it because you already have a different fundamental outlook.''

.. there is no need for anyone , including Oren or yourself to read any posts or discussions in this sector . TBH it was the micromanagement of posts that persuaded me to accept responsibility for the off-topic sector when Blumenkraft departed . Prior to that I had volunteered only to moderate HIM ! :) (A role I was enjoying .. ) .

I would rather , as I've suggested before , see this entire sector taken out of the 'recent posts' listings so that anyone not looking for the sector is not made aware so readily that interesting and lively debate can be had beyond the cryosphere etc .. so people have to come look for it rather than 'it' be waved in their faces .. ?  Neven's refuge of sanity here was never maintained by more than a light touch .. and even if he had no time for 'God' , I do , and have confessed it on various threads here since 2013 .. b.c. :)

p.s. ''god is Schrodinger's goalposts '' .. '' No Ball Games '' !
« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 03:25:44 AM by be cause »

interstitial

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 01, 2021, 03:22:01 AM »
generally I support the policy of avoiding mentioning religion you do not really convince someone else. About once a month freegrass makes a really derogatory comment about religion and I choose to respond. His comments unfairly makes the forum a hostile place for people like me who have religious beliefs. I have made no effort to convert anyone and have avoided sharing my beliefs with others with the exception that I respond when he makes false pronouncements about what all religious people think. Intolerance of others for their religious beliefs is no less ugly than intolerance of people for their race, sexuality, gender identification or any other of a long list of excuses people use to treat others poorly.

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 01, 2021, 04:06:21 AM »
What interstitial said (except I lack religious beliefs myself). Such discussions can only lead to increased hatred of each other. The forum is a congregation of (mostly) like-minded people as related to a certain subject, that of ice and climate and other long-term trends and science. However, members come from diverse backgrounds as regarding other factors, especially religion which is somewhat orthogonal to the subject at hand. Start a holy war, as Freegrass tried to do in his drunken stupor, and members will not be able to communicate positively on the actual subjects of the forum again. A sure way to destroy the forum. Feelings carry over, and religion unfortunately is a much stronger issue for most when compared to rappers vs. punks or other Internet disagreements.
Bear in mind our membership is not as high as might be wished, and we've had quite a few high profile and low profile departures in the last year, mostly over a subject much less holy than religion (Covid). The forum serves a very important function and I'd be very unhappy to see it go to hell over unrelated issues.
I did not like Blum's micromanagement as you call it, not because it was micromanagement per se, but because he was fomenting dissent by enforcing a certain point of view on subjects that were unrelated to the forum's focus, and was doing it in a harsh way.
I believe core focus issues should receive a strict moderation, by kicking out denial and untruth as well as removing personal attacks, while other issues not within the focus should be moderated when posts foment hatred and dissent. Religious posts are bound to do that unfortunately, especially those that criticize others for their beliefs or lack thereof.

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 01, 2021, 11:26:04 AM »
Freegrass and his drunken outbursts (and his sober ones) are what has no place here . His assaults on religion are not as big a problem as his personal attacks on fellow posters and mods (excepting Oren) . It seems that protecting posters like FG is the real problem . As you well know Oren , I have protested his continued presence every time he launches another attack , but its rinse and repeat .. and further protect .
  It has been made clear to me that a number of the departed left 'cause Freegrass remains .

My observation on micromanagement did not relate to Blumenkraft .

If this forum is determined to protect the Freegrasses and not the Nannings and Blumenkrafts then moderation is pointless . Are HHI and the Walrus really a greater threat to it's stability than FG ?

b.c.

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 01, 2021, 11:30:09 AM »
What did Interstitial say ?

He said 'Freegrass 'unfairly makes this forum a hostile place ' .. that is all that need be acted upon .

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 01, 2021, 12:36:25 PM »
I see two different points:
A. Religious arguments should be nipped in the bud. (We seem to disagree).
B. Repeated (even if occasionally) abusive posters should be placed in moderation to protect other posters. (We seem to agree).

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5304
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #186 on: April 01, 2021, 12:52:38 PM »
Of all the websites in all the world where one can discuss religion, philosophy, the price of fish, the nature of quarks, why the hell choose this one?

I like mushy peas with my steak and kidney pie.
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3517
  • Likes Given: 754
« Reply #187 on: April 01, 2021, 01:54:32 PM »
^ I'll take the steak [... medium rare]; keep the kidneys [... I know where they've been]

Peas? Steamed, al dente [...mushy gets sent back to the kitchen]
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― anonymous

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 01, 2021, 04:23:31 PM »
So this is what happens inside my head when I try to use my brain?

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 01, 2021, 08:08:59 PM »
I've not read much of the above discourse, but I suspect I should say, "Sorry about that."

KiwiGriff

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 710
  • Likes Given: 379
« Reply #190 on: April 01, 2021, 09:23:20 PM »
Tor Bejnar
The issue does not seem to be you, your comment would have passed without notice .
I would suggest the real issue was.
Some other commentator has a problem with mind altering substances and his emotion loaded ranting while so effected.

On religion.
Steak and kidney pies are yummy but please no mushy pees.
Better.
Self caught fresh fish  blackened on the BBQ in half olive oil, half butter , lots of garlic then drizzled with rock salt.
 ;)
Animals can be driven crazy by placing too many in too small a pen. Homo sapiens is the only animal that voluntarily does this to himself.
Notebooks of Lazarus Long.
Robert Heinlein.

HapHazard

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 02, 2021, 02:22:47 AM »
Of all the websites in all the world where one can discuss religion, philosophy, the price of fish, the nature of quarks, why the hell choose this one?

This times a million.  :)

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1336
  • Likes Given: 618
« Reply #192 on: April 02, 2021, 03:08:08 PM »
Apologies for being late to the party. I was busy abroad.

1. It's better not to discuss religion, and also entirely unnecessary, as the Internet is full of places where one can do so.
2. Tor didn't start the discussion, it was Freegrass on his alcohol&weed cookies-day. I will allow it to happen one more time, but it will be the last.
3. I've put this thread on the list of threads that don't appear on the Recent Posts list, but I won't put the entire Off-topic category on there, because a lot of threads pose no problems.
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 10, 2021, 06:27:50 PM »
humans tend to
humans tend to anthropomorphize everything ... It's turtles all the way down ...
everything ... It's turtles all the way down ...[/I]

This reminds me of our friendly advice in FluBlogia:
Don´t anthropomorphize viruses, they hate that.

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 14, 2021, 11:18:31 PM »
It's thirty years since I was last on Tanna Island, and it feels like yesterday.

Why the fuck did I leave Vanuatu?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/apr/14/his-spirit-lives-on-vanuatus-tanna-island-mourns-prince-philip-as-its-own
‘His spirit lives on’: Vanuatu’s Tanna island mourns Prince Philip as its own

Jack Malia, in the foreground, is the paramount chief of Yaohnanen village on Tanna island, Vanuatu. He believes that Prince Charles will succeed his father Prince Philip to become the focus of their faith. Photograph: Dan McGarry/The Guardian

The tree in the picture is much more than a tree...

Days after the news of Prince Philip’s death reverberated around the world, a young woman and her mother selling snacks in a marketplace on the Vanuatu island of Tanna heard it for the first time.

Sophie, who declined to provide a family name, visibly flinched as the information registered. She quickly recovered the reserved demeanour so common on the island but the news clearly touched her deeply.

“Sorry,” was all she said.

This simple pronouncement was repeated again and again at the weekend across the island. But it was spoken most eloquently by Albi, paramount chief of Yakel village. “Lamopo, lamopo,” he said. I am so, so sorry.

Albi received a framed copy of the portrait of the Duke of Edinburgh released by Buckingham Palace. He held it in his hands for several minutes, motionless. No one spoke.

But his message to the Queen is that she should not despair. Her husband’s spirit will live on.

The death of Prince Philip has had a profound effect on the island of Tanna, in the tiny south Pacific nation of Vanuatu.

It’s a popular misconception that the kastom tribes of Tanna worship Prince Philip as a deity. They don’t. They revere him as one of their own. According to local belief, he was a man who was born on Tanna, and a great spirit inhabited his body.

According to lore, Philip left Tanna before the second world war to seek his fortune. He travelled to the UK where he met, wooed and wed the most powerful woman in the world.

Tanna kastom, they contend, came to reside at the very heart of the British empire. A quest by this tribe to reconnect with Philip was documented on Channel 4’s Meet the Natives, which saw a delegation of Tannese men travel to the UK to conduct what the show’s creator called reverse anthropology. In the final episode, they had a private meeting with Prince Philip.

Chief Lalu, from west Tanna, said: “Prince Philip was a man who connected Tanna to London. Our fathers and our grandfathers told us this.”

Prince Charles is considered Man Tanna, as they say. “Prince Philip’s family is Tanna’s family,” he said.

Willie Lop is the highest-ranking chief on the island. He is equally unequivocal: “I want to tell the world that Prince Philip came from Tanna.”

Children of Yaohnanen village play as the Union Jack flies at half mast. Yaohnanen is widely considered the birthplace of the Prince Philip movement. Photograph: Dan McGarry/The Guardian

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: April 14, 2021, 11:24:37 PM »
What was it like (in general terms)? What did such a different world teach you?

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: May 07, 2021, 05:59:12 AM »
I trust this is an out-of-the-way (enough) place to share that my 97 year old mother died on May 1 (breast cancer). She was ready and well prepared.  Consequently, I've been away from most internet access for over a week, and am now home.

My daughters and daughter-in-law and I were singing this 'chant' to her when she breathed her last breath (the only song we intended to sing):
     Kitty has love, faith, trust, gratitude and courage.
     Kitty has everything she needs for she is loved.

Rodius

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 648
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #197 on: May 09, 2021, 07:32:28 AM »
I trust this is an out-of-the-way (enough) place to share that my 97 year old mother died on May 1 (breast cancer). She was ready and well prepared.  Consequently, I've been away from most internet access for over a week, and am now home.

My daughters and daughter-in-law and I were singing this 'chant' to her when she breathed her last breath (the only song we intended to sing):
     Kitty has everything she needs for she is loved.

Sorry for your loss.
My mother passed away late last year from being old. She was ready as well.

It was good that you were with her.

Rodius

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 648
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #198 on: May 09, 2021, 07:38:58 AM »
What was it like (in general terms)? What did such a different world teach you?

Like Gentrocrat, I lived on a Pacific Island for about two years.
Ten years later, I keep asking myself the same question.... why did I leave?

Luckily for me, I am returning to Samoa next year for at least one year to see how my sons (8 and 13) adapt. If they adapt, we are staying there for good this time.

For me, that world teaches you that community matters more than anything.
That old cultures are a mix of brutality and unbelievable kindness.
Family matters a lot.
Culture matters a lot.

And on returning to Australia, I learned that the Western world is so lost and disorientated by capitalism that I personally view how we live as a spiritual sickness that is essentially beyond repair.

Those are the basic takeaways I got, plus the many wonderful stories I have earned while there that change how I do almost everything simply from the small, daily, incremental differences living on an island does to a person.

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: July 06, 2021, 02:56:19 PM »
On Nature.

Nature abhors a straight line in much the same way it abhors a vacuum and it abhors life. We the living must wrestle against nature every day and we win almost every day except for that one day.

It is our primary objective as living organisms to win against nature, for as long as we can.

We do eventually lose. That doesn't change the primary objective. That's our nature. 100% natural.

Such a weird quote. How can nature abhor life when it is life? Somehow it reads like you mix up nature with death.

I especially hope this is the case for the win against nature...you cannot win against nature just as you do not beat the grass in soccer.