Ten to a hundred million
14 (20.6%)
Hundred million to one billion
9 (13.2%)
Over a billion
4 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Voting closed: March 03, 2020, 12:39:52 AM

Author Topic: COVID-19  (Read 1729017 times)

Rodius

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 653
  • Likes Given: 46
Re: COVID-19
« Reply #7400 on: July 08, 2020, 11:54:07 AM »
I am was pondering Covid today in the context of symptoms.
For example, links to strokes, heart attacks, kidney damage, toe pain, damaging cells in the lungs, and the liver.

I couldn't stop thinking about how it possible for this to happen when it is meant to be a lung infection (well, that is my understanding of it)

Covid infects the lungs, damages then, pneumonia turns up and the person dies of that or stress caused on the heart until it fails to cope and stops.

Still, it isn't covering the other issues.
And that was when this idea popped into my head..... it happened while watching a video about the kidney with my kids for homeschool stuff.

Covid 19 isn't a lung disease, it is a disease that attacks blood vessels.

Now, I am not a doctor of any sort (I didn't even finish my degree, and even that was in education). But from the little I do understand, if we stop thinking about this as a lung disease and start thinking of it as a disease that attacks blood vessels, suddenly the symptoms and places it has attacked make a lot more sense.

I realize this is unlikely, but it is nagging me so much I figured I should share this concept so people can shoot it down and I can forget about it.

blumenkraft

« Reply #7401 on: July 08, 2020, 12:04:07 PM »
Are you aware of the blood-clots, Rodius?

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-01403-8

El Cid

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 925
  • Likes Given: 227
« Reply #7402 on: July 08, 2020, 12:19:30 PM »
can anyone explain German humour ? :) b.c.

I don't get it either

Archimid

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 899
  • Likes Given: 206
« Reply #7403 on: July 08, 2020, 12:23:42 PM »
I am was pondering Covid today in the context of symptoms.
For example, links to strokes, heart attacks, kidney damage, toe pain, damaging cells in the lungs, and the liver.

And the brain. Any cell with something called ACE2 receptors is a possible target for the virus. The lungs are where the damage is most easily recognized. Also, most deaths associated with C19 are due to a fulminating event that is called the cytokine storm where the body's immune systems basically clogs the lungs.

But you are right, this disease affects the whole body and it is better comprehended as a disease of the whole body. I wouldn't be surprised if the long term effects of C19 on other organs are significant.
I am an energy reservoir seemingly intent on lowering entropy for self preservation.

blumenkraft

« Reply #7404 on: July 08, 2020, 12:30:06 PM »

I don't get it either

There is no such thing.

Rodius

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 653
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #7405 on: July 08, 2020, 01:32:32 PM »
Are you aware of the blood-clots, Rodius?

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-01403-8

I was aware of the clotting, but not to that extent.
That article supports what I am thinking, which kind of sucks because it supports my line of thinking.

To me, this means we need to stop treating the lungs because that is a symptom of other processes (namely, the virus is attacking he endothelial (new word of the day) cells that line the blood vessels. This needs a radical change to treatment and approach.

Anyway, if I have considered this, and Nature has articles on it with experts looking deeply into this aspect, I am happy. My little spark isn't special after all.... thankfully.

blumenkraft

« Reply #7406 on: July 08, 2020, 01:37:27 PM »

That article supports what I am thinking

Yep.

To me, this means you really really want to avoid getting infected. We still don't know what's behind this door...

dnem

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 319
  • Likes Given: 279
« Reply #7407 on: July 08, 2020, 01:52:24 PM »
Just google "Is Covid-19 a blood vessel disease?" There are dozens and dozens of articles discussing how COVID-19 attacks blood vessels.

Here's a question related to the issue of disease severity and lasting immunity. There are several documented cases of single individuals infecting dozens of others and in general, the thinking appears to be that whatever the R of this disease, at the individual level it has a skewed distribution and there is a right-side tail of "super spreaders."

Do we know if these super spreaders tend to go on to develop severe disease or if they can themselves remain largely asymptomatic?

You would think (hope?) that only individuals with fast replicating virus and high viral loads could be so infectious.

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #7408 on: July 08, 2020, 01:54:47 PM »

I don't get it either
Ditto.

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2056
  • Likes Given: 1995
« Reply #7409 on: July 08, 2020, 02:37:43 PM »
Covid 19 isn't a lung disease, it is a disease that attacks blood vessels.

It´s not either/or but both in this case.
We also know it gives some people intestinal disease so that is another line.

Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7410 on: July 08, 2020, 02:40:20 PM »
Blumy please spoiler the joke because almost no one gets it (including me).
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

blumenkraft

« Reply #7411 on: July 08, 2020, 02:52:57 PM »
Guys, who said it was a joke?  ;D

Sorry for the confusion folks. I really didn't expect this to be received like this. I guess you need to be familiar with his work to make sense of it (here is more >> https://manbrodude.art).

It's a rather disturbing picture with all its Chernobylequeness. Don't let the cuteness of the frogs fool you.

bluice

« Reply #7412 on: July 08, 2020, 02:54:05 PM »
I still didn't get it.

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7413 on: July 08, 2020, 03:06:43 PM »
Lets ignore German humor for now and let the kids work it out (like with climate change).

blumenkraft

« Reply #7414 on: July 08, 2020, 03:17:13 PM »

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3524
  • Likes Given: 758
« Reply #7415 on: July 08, 2020, 03:59:03 PM »
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― anonymous

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7416 on: July 08, 2020, 04:18:59 PM »
Now that is hilarious.
The word more or less translates as ´none the less´and polish is hard.

I don´t think the issue is language as much as context which we do not all share.

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5310
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #7417 on: July 08, 2020, 05:37:12 PM »
Italy had a bad time, but many of us could wish that we are today where Italy is now.

Mind you, the virus hasn't gone away.
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

etienne

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • About energy
  • Liked: 309
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #7418 on: July 08, 2020, 06:15:41 PM »
A little update of the Luxembourgish data.

We are now at 48.7 new cases per week for 100'000 inhabitants.

We see the beginning of a second wave, but just like in Iran, it doesn't grow very fast, but has a very good stability. Monday is a special day in Luxembourg, there always have been less cases because on Sundays, only emergencies are tested.

etienne

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • About energy
  • Liked: 309
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #7419 on: July 08, 2020, 06:21:27 PM »
The funny thing is that even in Sweden, there seem to be 2 waves.
Spain seems to be ok, Italy also.

Graphs are from worldometer
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/name of the country/

pietkuip

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 125
  • Likes Given: 305
« Reply #7420 on: July 08, 2020, 06:37:00 PM »
The funny thing is that even in Sweden, there seem to be 2 waves.

The graph shows cases, the increase is due to testing becoming available for the general population.

Other indicators (covid-deaths, excess mortality, ICU, hospital admissions) do not indicate any second wave yet.

gandul

« Reply #7421 on: July 08, 2020, 06:40:20 PM »
The reopening in Spain has been gradual, science-based, and exemplary, in my opinion.
But there are small outbreaks all the time. Any day it might get uncontrolled.
At least everybody wears masks in enclosed public places, and depending on the region, there can be a substantial fine for not wearing a mask.
Distancing is regulated and respected.

The economy sucks at the time.

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7422 on: July 08, 2020, 08:33:27 PM »
Coronavirus Cases In the US Hit Three Million
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/07/victoria-coronavirus-cases-surge-lockdown-looms-live-updates-200708003621037.html

The United States passed another grim coronavirus milestone with three million confirmed cases, as President Donald Trump downplayed the risks posed by the pandemic and aggressively pushed for schools to reopen.     

The coronavirus is surging in several southern states including Texas, Florida, Louisiana and Arizona, while it has almost entirely receded from its former epicenter in New York and the north-east. 

---------------------------------

Trump Threatens to Cut Funding for Schools, Slams CDC Reopening Guidelines as Too Tough and Expensive
https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/07/08/coronavirus-trump-threatens-to-cut-school-funding-slams-cdc-reopening-guidelines.html

Trump tweets that he may withhold federal funding from schools that do not resume in-person classes this fall.

Moments later Trump says his own CDC's guidelines for safely reopening schools are too expensive and too impractical.

The tweets are part of a pressure campaign the White House is mounting to get schools nationwide to reopen in person this fall, despite record levels of coronavirus infections in several states.

More sociopathic BS from TRump to drown out the book by his niece that records what a sociopath he is.

https://www.aljazeera.com/ajimpact/trump-threatens-cut-funds-schools-reopen-200708154156649.html
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― anonymous

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late

Archimid

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 899
  • Likes Given: 206
« Reply #7423 on: July 08, 2020, 08:47:58 PM »
Moments later Trump says his own CDC's guidelines for safely reopening schools are too expensive and too impractical.

They printed trillions of dollars and put it in the pockets of trump's friends instead of creating safe environments.

Earlier in the pandemic  I was advocating we should take advantage of the C19 fight to try and eradicate the common cold.

Any infrastructure created to stop C19 from spreading will also work to keep the common cold away. If as a species we set ourselves the goal to eliminate C19 at the same time we virtually eliminate the Common cold then we turn a few bad years into an investment for the common good.
I am an energy reservoir seemingly intent on lowering entropy for self preservation.

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1048
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #7424 on: July 08, 2020, 09:42:35 PM »

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7425 on: July 09, 2020, 12:51:09 AM »
Global Coronavirus Cases Passes 12 Million Mark
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/08/coronavirus-live-updates.html

Coronavirus cases worldwide have exceeded 12 million, according to a Reuters tally, as evidence mounts of the airborne spread of the disease.

The number of cases is triple that of severe influenza illnesses recorded annually, according to the World Health Organization.

-------------------------------

Brazil's President Bolsonaro vetoes COVID-19 aid for Indigenous
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/07/brazil-president-bolsonaro-vetoes-covid-19-aid-indigenous-200708190234748.html

Brazil's President Jair Bolsonaro has vetoed provisions of a law that obligated the federal government to provide drinking water, disinfectants and a guarantee of hospital beds to Indigenous communities amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

The president's office on Wednesday said those provisions in the law, approved by Congress, were "against the public interest" and "unconstitutional", by creating expenses for the federal government without new sources of revenue to cover them.

The right-wing populist has sought to assimilate indigenous peoples by calling for commercial farming and mining to be introduced on their reserves, saying it will raise them out of poverty.

“The vetoes deny the minimum necessary for the survival of these communities,” Brazilian indigenous advocacy group Instituto Socioambiental (ISA) said in a statement.

“The vetoes reveal that the president’s plan is not to have a plan,” it said.

Brazil's Indigenous population of roughly 850,000 is more vulnerable to COVID-19, as they live in remote areas with little access to healthcare systems and because their communal lifestyle rules out social distancing.

----------------------------------

Brazil Journalists Quarantined After Interviewing Infected Bolsonaro
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/07/victoria-coronavirus-cases-surge-lockdown-looms-live-updates-200708003621037.html

Brazilian broadcasters have pulled journalists off the job after they were exposed to President Jair Bolsonaro in an interview where he announced he had tested positive for the coronavirus, quarantining them until they test negative for the disease.

On Tuesday, Bolsonaro told a handful of television journalists at his official residence that he had tested positive for the novel coronavirus. Several held microphones in front of his chest, without the minimum 1-2 meters (3-6 feet) of distance advocated by medical experts to avoid contagion.

Bolsonaro deliberately exposed the journalists by removing his mask during the interview.

In separate emailed statements, CNN Brasil, Record TV and the state-run Brazil Communications Company (EBC) said they had taken their reporters off the job following the interview.

Record and EBC said their journalists would return to work only if they tested negative for the virus in coming days. CNN Brasil did not give details on the protocol for its journalists.

------------------------------------

Schadenfreude In Brazil as Jair Bolsonaro Gets Coronavirus
https://m.dw.com/en/schadenfreude-in-brazil-as-jair-bolsonaro-gets-coronavirus/a-54097353

On Tuesday, several passersby on the streets of Rio de Janeiro said Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro had it coming when he was diagnosed with COVID-19 this week. "My name's Messiah, but I can't work miracles," the president said in late April, when a total of 5,000 coronavirus deaths had been recorded in Brazil — a reference to his middle name, Messias. His remarks were a slap in the face for people who had lost loved ones or were struggling with COVID-19 themselves. Now that Bolsonaro has contracted the virus, many Brazilians feel a sense of schadenfreude.

"He's paying the price for saying the things he said,"  a man who identified himself as retired told DW. "It's his turn now," he said. 

A nurse who overheard the conversation said: "I hope he dies." She added that she hopes that Bolsonaro will suffer as other Brazilians have during the pandemic. The population has largely been left without ventilators and drugs. "His death would be fair," she said. "Nobody on this planet would miss him — goodbye Bolsonaro!"

... "To see my country under control of such a psychopath really worries me," he said. Marina and Tatiana, who were accompanying Rafael, agreed. They said they hoped that Bolsonaro would experience firsthand what it means to contract this "little flu."

-------------------------------------

Renewed protests have broken out in Serbia, a day after demonstrators briefly breached the parliament building in Belgrade.
https://m.dw.com/en/violence-breaks-out-at-new-serbia-protests/a-54098931

Thousands rallied in the capital once more, with reports of tear gas and scuffles in Belgrade and Serbia's second city, Novi Sad. There, fire was reported at the city hall.

AP reported that several clashes involved some extremist rioters who are linked to far-right groups.

The protests were triggered by a decision to reimpose quarantine measures in the country, although much of the dissatisfaction in fact rests with the government's decision to lift almost all restrictions last month. This enabled the country to hold elections on June 21, which strongman Prime Minister Aleksander Vucic won comfortably.

Coronavirus Cases in the US Hit Three Million

The United States passed another grim coronavirus milestone with three million confirmed cases, as President Donald Trump downplayed the risks posed by the pandemic and aggressively pushed for schools to reopen.

The US set a new record for cases within a 24-hour period after it recorded 60,209 new cases, according to a tally from Johns Hopkins University.

The coronavirus is surging in several southern states including Texas, Florida, Louisiana and Arizona, while it has almost entirely receded from its former epicenter in New York and the north-east.

Trump’s Campaign Rally Contributed to Surge of Cases in Tulsa, Doctor Claims
https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/jul/08/coronavirus-live-news-us-to-leave-who-as-organisation-warns-crisis-accelerating

President Donald Trump’s campaign rally in Tulsa that drew thousands of people in June, along with large protests that accompanied it, “likely contributed” to a dramatic surge in coronavirus cases, Tulsa City-County Health Department Director Dr. Bruce Dart said.

Tulsa County reported 261 confirmed new cases on Monday, a one-day record high, and another 206 cases on Tuesday.

Although the health department’s policy is to not publicly identify individual settings where people may have contracted the virus, Dart said those large gatherings “more than likely” contributed to the spike.

“In the past few days, we’ve seen almost 500 new cases, and we had several large events just over two weeks ago, so I guess we just connect the dots,” Dart said.

‘We should do better’ — Phoenix mayor calls for federal government to increase testing as hospitals reach capacity

Phoenix Mayor Kate Gallego said Phoenix is the largest city in the U.S. where the federal government hasn’t opened up a large testing site yet. The mayor said the city is struggling to keep up with demand even as it limits testing to the sickest patients and health-care workers.

“This weekend I went to a testing site where people had waited over eight hours,” Gallego told MSNBC. “I saw a man who was sweating and struggling to breathe, try to refill his gas tank because he’d run out of fuel on our city street. If anyone looks at that and doesn’t want to do better for him, then I just don’t understand it.“

Gallego said she asked for increased testing months ago, but the federal government told her Phoenix did not have enough cases to justify opening a mass testing site at the time. Today,  Maricopa County where Phoenix is located has more than 70,000 positive cases total, the overwhelming majority of the more than 108,000 cases reported in Arizona. At least 1,963 people in Arizona have died from the virus. Gallego said Phoenix has already run out of hospital beds and nurses and doctors are exhausted.

“They would like more resources,” she said. “They didn’t go into medicine to decide who lives and who dies. This is the United States of America, we should do better.”

Trump Criticizes Fauci and Says US In a 'Good Place' as Covid-19 Cases Top 3 Million
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jul/08/trump-fauci-coronavirus-experts-covid-19

As the number of confirmed coronavirus cases in the US reached 3m, and another daily record fell with more than 60,000 new cases, Donald Trump insisted the US was “in a good place” and admitted he “didn’t listen to my experts”.

The president also publicly attacked the US’s most senior non-political member of the White House coronavirus task force, Dr Anthony Fauci, who said earlier this week the US was still “knee deep in the first wave” of the pandemic.

Speaking to former Fox News host Greta Van Susteren for a Gray TV interview to be broadcast on Sunday, Trump said: “I disagree with him. You know, Dr Fauci said ‘don’t wear masks’ and now he says ‘wear them’. And you know, he’s said numerous things: ‘Don’t close off China. Don’t ban China.’

“And I did it anyway. I sort of didn’t listen to my experts and I banned China.”

(TRump failed to mention that the virus was already circulating in the US two months before the ban)

Nonetheless, Trump insisted to Van Susteren that in the next two to four weeks, “I think we’re going to be in very good shape.” He has previously erroneously contended that the virus will soon simply disappear and that 99% of cases are harmless.

Fauci has now reportedly been blocked from appearing on major media platforms. He made his “first wave” remark on a National Institutes of Health webcast on Monday, following sobering testimony to the Senate last week.

On Wednesday, the White House taskforce met at the Department of Education in Washington. Fauci told CBS he participated remotely. He was not present for a press briefing.

29 Mississippi Legislators Test Positive for Coronavirus
https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/jul/09/coronavirus-live-news-us-cases-rise-by-world-record-60000-as-melbourne-locks-down

At least 26 legislators and 10 others who work at Mississippi’s Capitol have tested positive for the coronavirus, a public health official said Wednesday, as the governor implored residents to take precautions amid a rapid rise in confirmed cases statewide, AP reports.

The 174-member Legislature ended its annual session 1 July, and many people in the Capitol did not wear masks or maintain distance between themselves and others during the last few weeks. Lieutenant-governor Delbert Hosemann and House Speaker Philip Gunn are among those who publicly acknowledge testing positive for Covid-19. They are now quarantined at home.

The number of people infected at the Capitol could actually be higher. The reported number only reflects those who were tested recently in Jackson, said the state’s top public health official, Dr. Thomas Dobbs. Some legislators have also been tested since returning to their hometowns.

Republican Governor Tate Reeves who has tested negative said he will not issue a statewide order for people to wear masks, as some other governors have done. But, he hinted that he could restore some restrictions on bars or other places if people don’t stop congregating in large groups.

Reeves said some hospitals are at or near capacity for intensive care beds. The state is limiting elective surgeries in a few counties to keep hospital beds open for Covid-19 patients.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 05:21:48 AM by vox_mundi »

pietkuip

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 125
  • Likes Given: 305
« Reply #7426 on: July 09, 2020, 01:32:42 AM »
The graph shows Texas with 98 new covid deaths today.
(Not today's final tally; now it stands at 107.)

Since Monday, deaths are also rising sharply in several other states. It will soon dominate the news: deaths of politicians, business leaders, actors, artists. And of healthcare staff of course.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 01:52:38 AM by pietkuip »

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7427 on: July 09, 2020, 02:14:43 AM »
Russia Digs Trench Around Siberian Village to Enforce COVID Quarantine
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-russia-trench/russia-digs-trench-around-siberian-village-to-enforce-covid-quarantine-idUSKBN2471XN?il=0

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Russian authorities have dug a trench around a remote Siberian village to enforce a quarantine, after dozens of residents contracted the coronavirus, which local officials believe was spread at a traditional shaman ritual.

The village of Shuluta, located some 30 kilometres south east of Lake Baikal in Siberia’s Buryatia region, has 37 confirmed cases of the virus among its 390 residents.

Ninety-five other people are believed to have been in contact with those infected and are also required to quarantine, said the head of the local administration, Ivan Alkheyev.

Alkheyev said the outbreak started after dozens of villagers took part in a shaman ritual on June 10, performed by an infected woman.

The ditches which encircled Shuluta were dug on June 29 as a measure to stop tourists from driving though the village to nearby Tunka National Park, as well as to limit movement by the local residents, some of whom were sceptical about an order to self-isolate.

Svetlana Shaglanova, whose husband died after a stroke and had tested positive for the virus, said she did not agree with the diagnosis. ... “They put that he died of the virus on the papers, but it is not true, it was just a stroke,” Shaglanova said.

The only road to the village which was not cut off by the ditch is now patrolled by local officials and Russian national guards who allow only ambulances and food deliveries in.

Russia’s official coronavirus case tally, the fourth largest in the world, rose to 687,862 on Monday.

... It's the only way to be sure

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7428 on: July 09, 2020, 04:50:16 AM »
Total number of confirmed cases in Africa now over 500,000

The continent of Africa has recorded more than 500,000 coronavirus cases, according to data compiled by Africa Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, with nearly 12,000 related deaths.

Across the continent of approximately 1.2 billion people, South Africa has recorded by far the highest number of Covid-19 infections, accounting for over 215,000 cases, while Egypt has confirmed more than 77,000 cases.

South Africa Prepares 1.5 Million Gravesites as Coronavirus Cases Rise
https://www.forbes.com/sites/nicholasreimann/2020/07/08/south-africa-readies-15-million-graves-for-coronavirus-mass-burials/amp/

A health official in South Africa's new coronavirus hot spot of Gauteng province says authorities are preparing over 1.5 million gravesites as confirmed cases rise, AP news agency reported.

Bandile Masuku, a medical doctor and member of the province's executive council, said it was the public's responsibility to make sure the gravesites were not needed.

"It's an uncomfortable discussion," he said. Gauteng province includes Johannesburg and the capital, Pretoria.

Masuku said in an interview with the South African Broadcasting Company that a major coronavirus surge is coming.

He expects the current spike will continue to worsen until mid-August, but if additional restrictions are put in place, the severity of the spike could be lessened with its peak pushed back until September.

Those who are put in the graves will not have individual headstones, Masuku said; instead, there will be one headstone for large numbers of coronavirus victims

The number of confirmed virus cases in Gauteng is now over 71,000, or 33 percent of South Africa's cases. The country has more than 215,000 confirmed cases and is posting some of the world's highest daily totals of newly reported cases.

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3590
  • Likes Given: 3965
« Reply #7429 on: July 09, 2020, 06:49:19 AM »
Excess deaths USA from CDC:

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/excess_deaths.htm#dashboard

sidd
Thanks.

Whoever thinks this kills only 80-yr old people should think again.
Click to enlarge.

Pmt111500

« Reply #7430 on: July 09, 2020, 06:55:54 AM »
Forgot where I found this one, maybe it was earlier published here. If so, I'm sorry to bring this up again. Corona-19 cases in Northern America. Mexico may be explained for the possibly limited testing cababilities in the countryside. Personally I know only one person who has travelled in the countryside of Mexico, so it might also be true situation, though I doubt it a bit, hearing of Peru and other Latin America

Pmt111500

« Reply #7431 on: July 09, 2020, 08:50:09 AM »
Finland is slowly opening borders for travellers and work-related travels. Please refer to the list of countries considered safe wrt CoViD-19, if intending to visit here. The list though includes countries that I would not consider safe, but you have to draw the line somewhere. To get in the safe list a country should demonstrate very few new cases during the previous two weeks. Work-related travel from other countries still includes the mandatory 14-day quarantine, and tourism is prohibited.
https://yle.fi/uutiset/osasto/news/finland_lifts_more_travel_restrictions_as_summer_kicks_into_gear/11439907

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7432 on: July 09, 2020, 10:41:27 AM »
Coronavirus Strains Florida Health System as Some Hospitals Run Out of ICU Beds in Largest Counties
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/07/coronavirus-strains-florida-health-system-as-some-hospitals-run-out-of-icu-beds-in-largest-counties.html

More than 40 Florida hospitals in multiple counties across the state have maxed out their ICU capacity or are close to running out of intensive care beds, according to the state’s Agency for Health Care Administration.

As of Tuesday, more than 5,000 Florida patients were using roughly 83% of the state’s more than 6,000 ICU beds.

ICU beds are running out at several hospitals in some of the state’s most-populated counties, including Miami-Dade County, Orange County, Hillsborough County and Broward County.

---------------------------

Texas Reports More Than 10,000 Coronavirus Cases
https://www.axios.com/texas-10000-coronavirus-cases-1889008c-ccf5-46d2-b851-bd82a29db9f4.html

Texas reported a record 10,028 coronavirus cases on Tuesday, according to Texas Health and Human Services.

Why it matters: This is the first time the state reported more than 10,000 new cases in a single day since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Texas was one of the first states to reopen after its initial coronavirus lockdown. Texas Gov. Greg Abbott allowed the state's stay-at-home order to expire in late April.

By the numbers: Texas also reported more than 9,000 hospitalizations from the virus on Tuesday and set a daily record for deaths in a single day, hitting 60.

Only New York and Florida have also recorded more than 10,000 cases in one day. New York exceeded that milestone in April, while Florida reported 10,109 new cases last week.

--------------------------------

Coronavirus Deaths Are Rising In New Hotspots
https://www.axios.com/coronavirus-deaths-rising-hotspots-b4c6863f-b733-42e5-a9be-7f4e66f38667.html

Los Angeles County Coronavirus Update: New Cases, Hospitalizations Now Regularly Averaging Close To All-Time Record As Test Positivity Rate Soars Again
https://mobile.twitter.com/lapublichealth/status/1280960945460613120

Brazil's Bolsonaro Sued For Unmasking As He Announced Positive Test For COVID-19
https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/07/08/889268503/brazils-bolsonaro-sued-for-unmasking-as-he-announced-positive-test-for-covid-19

A group representing Brazilian journalists says it will file suit against the country's president, Jair Bolsonaro, after he took off a protective mask as he spoke with reporters about his COVID-19 diagnosis.

The Brazilian Press Association, or ABI, said in a statement that Bolsonaro had unnecessarily endangered a small group of journalists who interviewed him at his official residence. At one point during the interview on Tuesday, Bolsonaro, who is 65, backed away from reporters and then removed his mask, ostensibly to show that he was doing well.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ALLuSapore/status/1280612976047927296

"Despite knowing he was infected with COVID-19, President Jair Bolsonaro continues to act in a criminal manner and endanger the lives of others," ABI President Paulo Jeronimo de Sousa said in a statement.

"The country cannot watch continued behavior that is beyond irresponsible and constitutes clear crimes against public health, without reacting," he said

ABI said the Brazilian president had violated a section of the country's criminal code that prohibits knowingly transmitting a serious disease to others or any act that may cause contagion.

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1017
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #7433 on: July 09, 2020, 01:06:07 PM »
As a consequence of the idiocy found daily on fb I posted this today ..

IMPORTANT NOTICE :

The means of Corona virus spread has finally been identified .

It is caused by the love farts of flying pigs

any scientific arguement against this SELF-EVIDENT TRUTH will be met with laughter
There is no death , the Son of God is We .

gandul

« Reply #7434 on: July 09, 2020, 11:54:50 PM »
Is this guy Dumb or Dumber?
Or is he too intelligent and disingenuous?

The WHO saw the Light (cause it ain’t because of science) and after reading the NYT and getting from the news that covid is transmitted via aerosol, they now make official that you can get covid thanks to A/C in enclosed spaces.

Bravo! Bravisimo! Épico! (half a million deaths too late).

northsylvania

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5
  • Likes Given: 459
« Reply #7435 on: July 10, 2020, 12:10:52 AM »
Apparently WHO have embraced the perfect as opposed to the good. Mask use as a public danger because of potential medical shortages due to the masses' inclination to hoard, or asymptomatic vs. pre symptomatic semantic hairsplitting, their position on aerosols vs. droplets might be utilitarian or scientific rigour. Nonetheless WHO have only caused unneccesary confusion among people who try to understand "the science" but don't delve into detail because they don't have the time.
"Don't draw Peggy too shapely."

SteveMDFP

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 599
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #7436 on: July 10, 2020, 03:56:55 AM »
Well, it's not actually Covid, but it's sufficiently close in nature to fit here....

‘Unknown pneumonia’ deadlier than coronavirus sweeping Kazakhstan, Chinese embassy warns
https://www.scmp.com/news/china/diplomacy/article/3092563/chinese-embassy-warns-deadly-unknown-pneumonia-kazakhstan

The Chinese embassy in Kazakhstan has warned of a deadly “unknown pneumonia” after the former Soviet republic reported a spike in pneumonia cases since June.
“The death rate of this disease is much higher than the novel coronavirus. The country’s health departments are conducting comparative research into the pneumonia virus, but have yet to identify the virus,” the embassy said in a warning to Chinese citizens in the country.

Maybe it's all Covid, and perhaps Kazakhstan is giving an alternate diagnosis for political reasons.  We'll see.

JMP

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 19
  • Likes Given: 62
« Reply #7437 on: July 10, 2020, 07:08:09 AM »
As a consequence of the idiocy found daily on fb I posted this today ..

IMPORTANT NOTICE :

The means of Corona virus spread has finally been identified .

It is caused by the love farts of flying pigs

any scientific arguement against this SELF-EVIDENT TRUTH will be met with laughter
Facebook is only the public platform that allows the posts.  It was originally almost analogous (in its responsibilities) to a literal post that posts could be posted upon. 

While it's become a thing larger than that now, I fail to understand your logic here. ???

Facebook may be failing civilization, comprehension, and better understanding of the world, but...  how does increasing the nonsense help? 

While I understand your frustration I would encourage you to focus it toward perhaps supporting  another platform like WT Social?  (no personal connection here - not recommending - just as an example)

stay-safe     
- John Perdue   

blumenkraft

« Reply #7438 on: July 10, 2020, 07:11:27 AM »
I fail to understand your logic here. ???

Facebook is deciding which posts you see. They don't show you your feed. They aggregate it.

If it was a dumb pipe, i would agree. But it's not. It's a manipulation tool.

Pmt111500

« Reply #7439 on: July 10, 2020, 07:17:39 AM »
Well, it's not actually Covid, but it's sufficiently close in nature to fit here....

‘Unknown pneumonia’ deadlier than coronavirus sweeping Kazakhstan, Chinese embassy warns
https://www.scmp.com/news/china/diplomacy/article/3092563/chinese-embassy-warns-deadly-unknown-pneumonia-kazakhstan

The Chinese embassy in Kazakhstan has warned of a deadly “unknown pneumonia” after the former Soviet republic reported a spike in pneumonia cases since June.
“The death rate of this disease is much higher than the novel coronavirus. The country’s health departments are conducting comparative research into the pneumonia virus, but have yet to identify the virus,” the embassy said in a warning to Chinese citizens in the country.

Maybe it's all Covid, and perhaps Kazakhstan is giving an alternate diagnosis for political reasons.  We'll see.

Oh no, they then upped the stakes, and have a worse disease than Trumpistan. The leader of the country must be disappointed. You have a disease but in Soviet Russia the disease has you. It's nice that Kazakhstanians do their own identification, there's been talk of Chinese hoaxes. Anyway, officially this one is not yet a Covid-19 virus or a variant. (/S)

blumenkraft

« Reply #7440 on: July 10, 2020, 08:57:01 AM »
Another problem no one is talking about. Due to Covid, way more people are treated with antibiotics than normal. How will this influence the development of resistance? Are we running out of effective antibiotics earlier?

blumenkraft

« Reply #7441 on: July 10, 2020, 10:09:53 AM »
Some people bragged about the US death rate going down. Well, that statement didn't age well!

As expected, 3 weeks after the case numbers started to climb, the death numbers are also climbing.

POTUS inaction = murder.

blumenkraft

« Reply #7442 on: July 10, 2020, 10:16:44 AM »
Numbers-wise Arizona is now worse than NY at the hight of their first wave.

This is going to be catastrophic.

Sam

« Reply #7443 on: July 10, 2020, 12:14:51 PM »
Another problem no one is talking about. Due to Covid, way more people are treated with antibiotics than normal. How will this influence the development of resistance? Are we running out of effective antibiotics earlier?

From what I have read in research articles, there are two specific antibiotics being used - not as antibiotics, but rather as antivirals: Azithromycin and cefazolin. These two common antibiotics and a few uncommon ones have theoretical binding coefficients to key places on the COVID spike protein that should inhibit or block it docking to the ACE2 receptor.

Azithromycin has a long biological half life of 70 hours. Cefazolin’s is short at 1.4-2.2 hours. As a result, Azithromycin has been used for that purpose. Cefazolin really hasn’t.

Hydroxychloroquine has a blood half life of 50 days, and a plasma elimination half life of 32 days. This exceptionally long half life is why HCQ and the older chloroquine were considered. Unfortunately, the hazards of the drugs far outweigh their utility as antivirals. In replicate studies these drugs caused more harm and death than benefit.

Beyond these and a small number of other antibiotics, the dominant use of antibiotics with COVID patients is to fight secondary infections. That use is no different than for other lung infections, except that for many lung infections physicians may empirically treat for bacteria before they are certain the infection is viral. In the case of COVID that is seldom true.

So the only real risk of increased antibiotic resistance is from the use of azithromycin as an antiviral.

What is much more concerning is that many organisms trade resistance genes to antibiotics via plasmid exchange across large differences in types, much like kids used to trade playing cards. So the problem isn’t one of each type of bacteria developing resistance, but rather of any bacteria developing resistance then sharing that with others.

And for that the key parameters are not human use, but use of antibiotics in animals, and the discharge of feces (primarily) contaminated with organisms that have gained resistance, and from feces and urine containing residual antibiotics dumped into sewer systems and water bodies.

That goes as well for impacts of all of the pharmaceuticals we use. We make little effort to actually deal with our wastes in ways that destroy these compounds.  Instead, we dump them profusely into the environment.

This does not mean there is no risk. It does mean that the risk is little different from the risk posed by many other diseases being treated with antibiotics.

The way to address that isn’t by stopping the use of the antibiotics, but rather by a massive and concerted campaign to shut down transmission of the virus, thereby minimizing the number of people requiring treatment. In other words - quarantine - tight quarantine, coupled with extensive testing, isolation and contact tracing, near perfect use of masks (ideally P100 rated or better), with training for the public to understand mask use. Then also coupled with minimal travel and movement, distancing of 7 meters not 2 meters, and more.

But we aren’t willing to do those things. We instead focus on inconvenience and short term economics, thereby guaranteeing maximum transmission over the longest period, which leads to maximum economic harm at all levels, coupled with maximum or near maximum injury, harm and death. Add to that toll maximizing the potential for COVID to lead to even earlier failure of macro life antibiotics being effective for anything except SARS virus infections.

Much of the public has no understanding at all about masks, mask use, effectiveness, types, how masks fail, and more. Instead, a large portion of the population looks on masks as a political statement imposed on them, or as a talisman to ward off evil, or as a fashion accessory.

I have (rarely) seen nurses pull down masks to talk. I have seen people wear masks over their mouths but below their noses. And I have seen people cut slits or put zippers in the masks so they can eat, drink, or smoke through the mask. Dumb. Exceptionally dumb. But that failure really belongs to the health authoritie, politicians, and news media. There should be PSAs all over the place training people in proper mask use, and in how they work.

Lastly, we suffer from a lot of stupidity in society, even among very otherwise bright people, substituting memes and thumb-rules for knowledge. The meme that antibiotics are useless against viruses is one such. It is mostly true. In specific cases like with COVID it is wrong and false. In large part that comes from a shorthand in thinking that things do only one function. Often there are overlaps in really strange ways, where the simple rules don’t actually or always work.

Sam

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3590
  • Likes Given: 3965
« Reply #7444 on: July 10, 2020, 01:06:48 PM »
We focus on inconvenience and short term economics, thereby guaranteeing maximum transmission over the longest period, which leads to maximum economic harm at all levels, coupled with maximum or near maximum injury, harm and death.
This is the hard truth. Economic concerns and medical/human life concerns are very much aligned, despite their portrayal as diametrically opposed.

blumenkraft

« Reply #7445 on: July 10, 2020, 01:10:57 PM »
Thanks, Sam. As always, well written and informative. :)

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7446 on: July 10, 2020, 01:22:24 PM »
US Posts New Record Daily Virus Caseload of More Than 65,000
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/07/mexico-south-africa-post-record-coronavirus-cases-live-updates-200710000611381.html

The US on Thursday posted 65,551 new coronavirus cases, a record for a 24-hour period, according to a tally by Johns Hopkins University.

The country, the hardest-hit in the world by the pandemic, has a total caseload of more than 3.1 million, with 133,195 deaths.

The previous daily record was Tuesday, with more than 60,200 cases in one day.

Idlib Reports First Covid-19 Case; Braces for Fresh Disaster
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jul/10/idlib-reports-first-covid-19-case-and-braces-for-fresh-disaster-syria

Healthcare workers in Syria’s last rebel-held province are bracing for fresh disaster after the overcrowded and poverty-stricken area confirmed its first case of Covid-19.

A doctor in his 30s working at Bab al-Hawa hospital in Idlib near the Turkish border asked to be tested after displaying symptoms, the local health authority said in a statement on Thursday evening.

His role as a healthcare worker means he is almost certainly not the only case. For now the doctor and those who have come into contact with him have been tested and are in self-isolation and the hospital has been temporarily closed.

Idlib’s 3-million-strong population has been dreading a seemingly inevitable outbreak of the coronavirus in a city where 1.1m people are currently living in tents and makeshift accommodation and the healthcare system has been decimated by years of war and bombing campaigns carried out by Bashar al-Assad and his Russian allies. Malnutrition and other diseases are already rife.

There is only one polymerase chain reaction (PCR) testing machine in the area, purchased by a local NGO. The World Health Organization has not sent any machines to Idlib or the Kurdish-held north-east, and only five to regime-controlled Syria.

A total of 153 ventilators and 148 beds in intensive care units are available for coronavirus patients across Idlib, which aid agencies have warned leaves the area desperately ill-prepared.

Bolivian President Tests Positive for Coronavirus
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/07/active-coronavirus-cases-worldwide-hit-55-million-live-updates-200709011623258.html

Bolivia's President Jeanine Anez said on Thursday that she has tested positive for the novel coronavirus.

Anez said in a tweet she was "well" and continuing to work while in isolation. "Together, we will come out of this," she said.

The confirmation came a week after Bolivia's Health Minister Maria Eidy Roca said she too had tested positive for the coronavirus.

The landlocked Andean nation of over 11.5 million people has registered more than 42,000 confirmed cases of the disease and 1,500 deaths and is one of the worst affected countries per capita in the world.

-----------------------------------

South Africa has announced its highest daily number of confirmed coronavirus cases with 13,674 new infections.
https://m.dw.com/en/coronavirus-latest-who-launches-panel-to-review-international-covid-19-response/a-54101158

The country - Africa's most developed nation - is now a hot spot in the global pandemic with 238,339 total confirmed cases.

Gauteng province, which includes Johannesburg and the capital, Pretoria, has more than a third of the total with nearly 82,000 cases.

Health Minister Zweli Mkhize has said South Africa could run out of available hospital beds within the month.

Premier of South Africa's Gauteng Province Tests Positive 
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/07/mexico-south-africa-post-record-coronavirus-cases-live-updates-200710000611381.html

The Premier of South Africa's financial-hub and most populous province Gauteng, David Makhura, said he has tested positive for COVID-19, as infections in the country continue to soar.

India tallied 793,802 infections and more than 21,600 deaths, with cases doubling every three weeks. It’s testing more than 250,000 samples daily after months of sluggishness but experts say this is insufficient for a country of nearly 1.4 billion people.

Dr Anant Bhan, a bioethics and global health researcher warns that there won’t be just one peak in India. He pointed out that the capital of New Delhi and India’s financial capital, Mumbai, had already seen surges, while infections had now begun spreading to smaller cities as governments eased restrictions. The actual toll would be unknown, he said, unless India made testing more accessible.

Knowing the actual toll in India is impossible because there is no reporting mechanism in most places for any kind of death, said Dr Jayaprakash Muliyil, an epidemiologist at the Christian Medical College in Vellore who has been advising the government.

-------------------------

Mississippi Governor Orders Mask Mandate for 13 Counties
https://www.clarionledger.com/story/news/politics/2020/07/09/mississippi-coronavirus-tate-reeves-orders-partial-mask-mandate/5407771002/

Mississippi Gov. Tate Reeves (R) ordered a mask mandate active in 13 counties for residents at public gatherings or in shopping spaces, according to the Clarion Ledger. The order also bans social gatherings of more than 10 people indoors and 20 people outdoors but does not require businesses to close.

At least 26 Mississippi legislators have the coronavirus — which accounts for about one in every six state lawmakers. Ten other cases are linked to the lawmakers’ outbreak, the Ledger said.

https://www.clarionledger.com/story/news/politics/2020/07/08/mississippi-coronavirus-outbreak-capitol-grows-26-lawmakers/5401147002/

Mississippi currently has recorded 33,591 confirmed cases and 1,204 coronavirus deaths, according to data compiled by Johns Hopkins University. Dr. Thomas Dobbs, the state health officer, said that five medical centers in Mississippi do not have any ICU beds left for new patients, according to the Clarion Ledger.

-----------------------------------

Florida Has 56 Hospitals With No ICU Beds

In Florida, 56 hospitals, including in Miami-Dade and Broward, reported zero ICU beds available, according to an internal FEMA memo obtained by ABC News.

Another 35 Florida hospitals reported that ICU capacity was at 10% or less, the memo said.

Disney World is Set to Reopen at Weekend Despite a Coronavirus Surge in Florida
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jul/10/disney-world-reopen-weekend-despite-coronavirus-surge-florida

The state recorded a record high of 120 Covid-19 deaths on Wednesday and has one of the largest outbreaks in the US. But that has not stopped Mickey.

Two of the entertainment giant’s Orlando theme parks, Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom, will open their gates on Saturday .

More than 4,000 people have died of Covid-19 in Florida, according to the state’s health department.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 02:32:17 PM by vox_mundi »

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1339
  • Likes Given: 618
« Reply #7447 on: July 10, 2020, 02:06:43 PM »
Much of the public has no understanding at all about masks, mask use, effectiveness, types, how masks fail, and more.

That's probably because much of the public isn't a paranoid, germophobe, OCD hypochondriac who simply cannot accept death as being a part of a life, or that everything in life has its price and that there is no such thing as a free lunch.

Instead of reflecting on how it has come to this and what structural changes are needed to prevent threats to societal stability, all the attention is funneled towards death-fear-vaccines-death-fear-vaccines-death-fear-vaccines. Pandemic porn, nothing more, nothing less.

Lastly, we suffer from a lot of stupidity in society, even among very otherwise bright people, substituting memes and thumb-rules for knowledge.

Are you referring to the idiots who call for lockdowns and other 1984-esque measures that will either push societies to collapse or totalitarianism?

I can't remember what insane IFR numbers you pushed back when not enough was known, but it has now become clear that in a reasonably healthy population the IFR for SARS-CoV-2 is 0.2% at most. If it is higher than that it is because of demographics, environmental conditions and general population health (which is very low in most parts of the world), and these factors are heavily influenced by the global neoliberal system of endless growth.

Epidemiologically speaking, this virus is very similar to influenza. In fact, influenza would be way more deadly if it were novel, and kill many more young people. This virus was presented as some alien zombie killer virus and all kinds of stupid, cowardly decisions were made because of it. And now, people are so deeply invested in this narrative that it is impossible to get out of. The media is a sensationalist propaganda machine as never witnessed before.

Meanwhile, everybody is getting robbed blind, while much more serious things are going in the world that get almost zero attention (take a look for instance at the melting season thead, or think about the cancer epidemic, or the spread of microplastics, or deforestation, or top soil erosion, and so on).

Or, to quote my favourite author on the subject:

The genius of pathologized totalitarianism is like that old joke about the Devil … his greatest trick was convincing us that he doesn’t exist. Pathologized totalitarianism appears to emanate from nowhere, and everywhere, simultaneously; thus, technically, it does not exist. It cannot exist, because no one is responsible for it, because everyone is. Mass hysteria is its lifeblood. It feeds on existential fear. “Science” is its rallying cry. Not actual science, not provable facts, but “Science” as a kind of deity whose Name is invoked to silence heretics, or to ease the discomfort of the cognitive dissonance that results from desperately trying to believe the absurdities of the official narrative.

The other genius of it (from a GloboCap viewpoint) is that it is inexhaustible, endlessly recyclable. Unlike other official enemies, the “deadly virus” could be any virus, any pathogen whatsoever. All they have to do from now on is “discover” some “novel” micro-organism that is highly contagious (or that mimics some other micro-organism that we already have), and wave it in front of people’s faces. Then they can crank up the Fear Machine, and start projecting hundreds of millions of deaths if everyone doesn’t do exactly as they’re told. They can run this schtick … well, pretty much forever, anytime the working classes get restless, or an unauthorized president gets elected, or just for the sheer sadistic fun of it.

Look, I don’t mean to be depressing, but seriously, spend an hour on the Internet, or talk to one of your hysterical friends that wants to make mask-wearing mandatory, permanently. This is the mentality of the Brave New Normal … irrationally paranoid and authoritarian. So, no, the future isn’t looking very bright for anyone not prepared to behave as if the world were one big infectious disease ward.

I’ve interacted with a number of extremely paranoid corona-totalitarians recently (just as a kind of social experiment). They behave exactly like members of a cult. When challenged with facts and basic logic, first, they flood you with media propaganda and hysterical speculation from “medical experts.” Then, after you debunk that nonsense, they attempt to emotionally manipulate you by sharing their heartbreaking personal accounts of the people their therapists’ brother-in-laws’ doctors had to helplessly watch as they “died in agony” when their lungs and hearts mysteriously exploded. Then, after you don’t bite down on that, they start hysterically shrieking paranoia at you (“JUST WAIT UNTIL THEY INTUBATE YOU!” … “KEEP YOUR SPITTLE AWAY FROM ME!”) and barking orders and slogans at you (“JUST WEAR THE GODDAMN MASK, YOU BABY!” … “NO SHOES, NO SHIRT, NO MASK, NO SERVICE!”)

Which … OK, that would be kind of funny (or terribly sad), if these paranoid people were not just mouthpieces echoing the voice of the official power (i.e., GloboCap) that is transforming what is left of society into a paranoid, pathologized, totalitarian nightmare right before our eyes. They’re kind of like the “woman in red” in The Matrix. When you are talking to them, you’re not talking to them. You’re talking to the agents. You’re talking to the machines. Try it sometime. You’ll see what I mean. It’s like talking to a single algorithm that is running in millions of people’s brains.

I can’t lie to you. I’m not very hopeful. No one who understands the attraction (i.e., the seduction) of totalitarianism is. Much as we may not like to admit it, it is exhilarating, and liberating, being part of the mob, surrendering the burden of personal autonomy and individual responsibility, fusing with a fanatical “movement” that is ushering in a new “reality” backed by the sheer brute force of the state … or the transnational global capitalist empire.

It is irresistible, that attraction, to most of us. The chance to be a part of something like that, and to unleash one’s hatred on those who refuse to go along with the new religion … to publicly ridicule them, to humiliate them, to segregate them from normal society, to hunt them down and get them fired from their jobs, to cheer as police abuse and arrest them, to diagnose them as “abnormal” and “inferior,” these social deviants, these subhuman “others,” who dare to challenge the authority of the Party, or the Church, or the State, or the Reich, or Science.

Plus, in the eyes of GloboCap (and its millions of fanatical, slogan-chanting followers), such non-mask-wearing deviants are dangerous. They are like a disease … an infestation. A sickness in the social body. If they refuse to conform, they will have to be dealt with, quarantined, or something like that.

Or they can just surrender to the Brave New Normal, and stop acting like babies, and wear a goddamn mask.

After all, it’s just a harmless piece of cloth.

The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

blumenkraft

« Reply #7448 on: July 10, 2020, 02:36:01 PM »
desperately trying to believe the absurdities of the official narrative

Neven, i stopped the contact with three friends of mine because all three, independent from each other are now in the conspiracy myths camp. One thinks Bill Gates wants to enslave people with microchipping and this virus is a hoax. The other one believes in a higher unnamed power all of a sudden that gives the WHO orders. And the third thinks the Corona-App was only programmed to surveil people.

Believe me, the absurdity is only increasing if you leave what you call the 'official narrative'. I would call that sanity BTW and i am very concerned about you.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1339
  • Likes Given: 618
« Reply #7449 on: July 10, 2020, 02:55:12 PM »
The virus is real, the reaction to it is a hype, partly due to a hoax (the biggest wealth transfer in the history of the world). Bill Gates' wealth actually wants to enslave people very much, as it's the most efficient way to grow and further concentrate itself. The WHO is a hotbed of conflicts of interest. And the SARS-CoV-2 hype is undoubtedly used as a cover for a rapid advance in mass surveillance.

So, your former friends may be conspiracy nutters now, but there actually is some truth to what they're saying, and there is a conspiracy (or GloboCap as my favourite author on the subject calls it).
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith