Ten to a hundred million
14 (20.6%)
Hundred million to one billion
9 (13.2%)
Over a billion
4 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Voting closed: March 03, 2020, 12:39:52 AM

Author Topic: COVID-19  (Read 1708969 times)

Tom_Mazanec

Re: COVID-19
« Reply #10000 on: November 26, 2020, 04:16:55 PM »
Just another heads up...
when I award the 10k post prize I will lock this thread and start a new one, with a poll on when normalcy will return. Put on your thinking caps and estimate date of normalcy.

Define normalcy
People normally not wearing face masks in public.
Sports, graduations, etc. being held as usual with the usual audiences.
Restaurants, stores etc. not having occupancy restrictions.
Handshaking socially permissible again.
Economy not being heavily affected by lockdowns.

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1014
  • Likes Given: 1045
« Reply #10001 on: November 26, 2020, 04:48:34 PM »
just as it really gets going .. you lock the thread ?
There is no death , the Son of God is We .

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #10002 on: November 26, 2020, 04:55:32 PM »
just as it really gets going .. you lock the thread ?
Because it ran out of room and I want to post a new poll.
Go to https://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php?topic=3334.0

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2047
  • Likes Given: 1988
« Reply #10003 on: November 26, 2020, 05:37:26 PM »
Just another heads up...
when I award the 10k post prize I will lock this thread and start a new one, with a poll on when normalcy will return. Put on your thinking caps and estimate date of normalcy.

Another heads up.

There are no such things as 10k post prizes. As long as we have Covid we have a covid thread and it is this thread. Do not lock this thread for BS reasons, thank you.

I think the forum software allows adding polls.
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #10004 on: November 26, 2020, 05:43:00 PM »
kassy, I was just joking about the prize, of course.
Other fora lock threads at 10,000 posts, and when I mentioned planning to do this a few days ago you said nothing.
How to I put a second poll on a thread without erasing the first poll? I want to preserve the first poll for historical reasons.

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10005 on: November 26, 2020, 06:03:04 PM »
You cannot merge polls so we will just skip the second one.

Since you can remake them in no time i suggest you make one in The Rest and link it here.
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

Gerntocratis#1

« Reply #10006 on: November 26, 2020, 08:33:19 PM »
Denver mayor travels for Thanksgiving after urging others to ‘stay home’

https://globalnews.ca/news/7485434/denver-mayor-travel-thanksgiving/

There are many husbands and fathers in the city of Denver, but only one gets to ignore COVID-19 guidelines because of his role in his family.

That’s the message Denver Mayor Michael Hancock sent on Wednesday when he defied his own advice that people should stay home during U.S. Thanksgiving due to the coronavirus.

The city’s Democratic mayor urged citizens to “avoid unnecessary travel” in a tweet early Wednesday, then hopped on a plane 30 minutes later to go see his wife and daughter in Mississippi, local station 9 News reports.

He later offered an apology and a defence of his actions on Twitter, sparking anger and accusations of hypocrisy.

“I fully acknowledge that I have urged everyone to stay home and avoid unnecessary travel,” he said in a statement after arriving at his holiday destination.

“I made my decision as a husband and father, and for those who are angry and disappointed, I humbly ask you to forgive decisions that are borne of my heart and not my head.”

He claims that it was “safer” for him to make a solo trip for the gathering, rather than have the two of them fly to Denver. He did not explain why it was essential that they all be in the same place for Thanksgiving after he urged others to sacrifice that closeness for the greater good.

longwalks1

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 65
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #10007 on: November 26, 2020, 10:07:46 PM »
Simon F92   #9997
In re:  Riddell et al. Virol J          (2020) 17:145  https://doi.org/10.1186/s12985-020-01418-7
The effect of temperature on persistence of SARS-CoV-2 on common surfaces

Appears to be open source.   I above that from the downloadable  pdf.     Nice catch. 

Rodius

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 647
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #10008 on: November 27, 2020, 01:19:57 AM »
Melbourne has gone 28 days with no Covid cases.
Three months ago we were getting several hundred per day and 20 dead per day.
Two months it was dozens a day and 10s of dead per day.
Now it is nothing...... and we are just about to be able to stop wearing masks while outside but still wear them in inside public spaces.
This will be stopped soon as well, especially with summer almost being here and our temps get over 30C regularly and sometimes over 40C.... mask wearing in those conditions will overheat more people than it is worth given it is effectively gone (for now.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/coronavirus-victoria-reaches-incredible-achievement-after-28-days-213802687.html

Adelaide
1 new case, 7,000 tests, contact tracing is ongoing and selected lockdowns and closures of public
spaces are ongoing.

Looks like they caught this outbreak early and reacted appropriately as it is almost over before it even got started.

https://www.covid-19.sa.gov.au/home/dashboard

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3517
  • Likes Given: 754
« Reply #10009 on: November 27, 2020, 04:27:21 PM »
Nearly 60,000 Americans Could Die of Covid-19 In the Next Three Weeks.
https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/11/27/health/us-coronavirus-friday/index.html

On Thanksgiving, the US marked its 24th day in a row with more than 100,000 new cases. Hospitalizations Thursday hit a new high -- for the 17th consecutive day -- with now more than 90,400 Covid-19 patients nationwide, according to the COVID Tracking Project. More than 1,200 deaths were reported.

The country's death toll since the pandemic's start is now more than 263,000. And nearly another 60,000 could lose their lives over the next three weeks, according to an ensemble forecast published by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention this week.

One expert told CNN Wednesday night the number of daily deaths will likely double in the next ten days.

"So, we'll be seeing close to 4,000 deaths a day, which is how you get another 60,000 deaths in only about 20 days," Dr. Jonathan Reiner, a professor of medicine at George Washington University, said.

And the gatherings that took place over Thanksgiving could further an already ferocious surge, officials warned this week, ... "In a week, more likely two weeks, we will see a surge upon a surge," Dr. William Schaffner, professor of infectious diseases at Vanderbilt University, said Wednesday. "We're in for a tough time."

----------------------------------------

Drugs Hyped as Coronavirus Treatment Linked to Psychiatric Disorders, Says EU Agency
https://www.politico.eu/article/drugs-hyped-as-coronavirus-treatment-linked-to-psychiatric-disorders-says-ema/amp/

Chloroquine and a related compound, hydroxychloroquine, have been associated with cases of psychiatric disturbances and suicidal behavior after being given to COVID-19 patients, warned the EU’s drug regulator today.

The two medicines were some of the first drugs put forward as possible treatments for the coronavirus, and were famously promoted by controversial French doctor Didier Raoult and U.S. President Donald Trump. However, since then, they haven’t shown to be effective in clinical studies.

The European Medicines Agency said that it had initiated a review of the drugs after receiving a notification from Spain’s medicines authority, AEMPS, of six cases of mental disturbances linked to coronavirus patients who were given higher than authorized doses of the medicines.

Both medicines are commonly used to prevent malaria infections and are also approved to treat a number of autoimmune diseases. In certain drugs containing the compounds, psychotic disorders are listed as a rare side effect, the EMA noted.

------------------------------------------

Trump, Carson Tout Covid-19 Treatments as Lifesavers. But Regular People Find Them Harder to Get.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/regeneron-treatment-rationing/2020/11/25/d3339d30-2f50-11eb-bae0-50bb17126614_story.html?outputType=amp

The day after being discharged from the hospital last month, President Trump enthusiastically endorsed a new antibody cocktail, saying it had been a “cure” for his Covid-19. “I want everybody to be given the same treatment as your president,” he said in an Oct. 7 video.

That’s not going to happen anytime soon. Frustrated doctors say they have had to ration the Regeneron medication given to Trump, and a similar one by Eli Lilly — if they can get them at all — because of extremely short supply. The government has distributed just 205,000 doses of the drugs so far this year, at a time when around 170,000 people are being infected by the coronavirus every day.

Nonetheless, patients are clamoring for the medications, in part because of Trump’s comments, as well as testimonials from Housing and Urban Development Secretary Ben Carson and former New Jersey governor Chris Christie, who also got the drugs before they were approved.

... “The reality is, people who have extra access to the latest and greatest treatments are not your average person. . . . People don’t realize how inaccessible these drugs are.”

Several other people in Trump’s orbit also have had covid-19 and were offered help getting access to the drugs.

Ben Carson said he had been “desperately ill” with Covid-19 and that Trump “cleared me for the monoclonal antibody therapy that he had previously received, which I am convinced saved my life.”

One adviser who contracted the virus said the president offered to get the Regeneron drug for him. “It’ll make you better overnight,” the president said, according to a person who spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitive nature of the information.

... “[But] the president will not be calling Regeneron so that your grandmother can receive approval for the therapy,” Walid Gellad, director of the University of Pittsburgh’s Center for Pharmaceutical Pharmaceutical Policy and Prescribing, wrote in an email. “I don’t know to what extent the public understands how limited these therapies will be initially.”

...In some ways, the story of the antibody treatments is the tale of the U.S. health-care system, which tends to cater to the well-insured and well-connected, especially in providing new treatments.

Scarce supplies also are a defining theme of the pandemic, as shortages of coronavirus tests, personal protective equipment and toilet paper have forced rationing until production catches up.

------------------------------------------

Wyoming’s Governor Resisted Calls for Mask Mandate. Now He Has Coronavirus.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/11/26/wyoming-governor-covid-gordon-masks/?outputType=amp

Earlier this month, with coronavirus cases rising dramatically across Wyoming, a coalition of medical experts and nearly every county health officer in the state wrote to Republican Gov. Mark Gordon with an urgent demand: to issue a statewide mask mandate.

“Education and encouragement alone have not achieved desired outcomes. Our health care resources are becoming critically strained with hospitalizations and deaths increasing,” the letter said.

https://trib.com/news/state-and-regional/govt-and-politics/more-than-20-county-health-officers-urge-wyoming-governor-to-enact-face-mask-order/article_0bf71146-f099-569a-9ffa-9d32716ede32.html

Gordon declined. “It is incredibly important that we take personal responsibility for our actions and understand how those actions can implicate others,” Gordon said last month.

Now Gordon, 63, has tested positive for the virus, his office announced Wednesday.

Wyoming, like other states in the West and Midwest, has seen coronavirus cases increase significantly this fall. The state has now topped 30,000 cases and recorded at least 215 deaths,

While some counties in Wyoming have issued local mask requirements, health experts say they’re often ignored — and enacting new rules on the county level hasn’t been easy.

When commissioners in Natrona County, which includes Casper, the state’s second-largest city, invited health officials to discuss a possible mask mandate this month, the meeting had to be adjourned early because of incessant heckling. Anti-mask protesters have repeatedly gathered at the state Capitol in Cheyenne as well.

https://trib.com/news/local/casper/natrona-county-officials-abruptly-end-meeting-in-the-face-of-heckling/article_07f12e1f-b18d-5787-9c81-7b2fd1909aba.html

https://www.wyomingnews.com/coronavirus/spike-in-covid-19-cases-shows-virus-is-sticking-around-as-anti-mask-protests-persist/article_cdd9d217-56a7-5052-be47-301a17b2bee0.html
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― anonymous

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #10010 on: November 27, 2020, 04:49:00 PM »
First news article above mentions Thanksgiving vox_mundi.
After that “surge upon a surge” brace yourself for Christmas and New Years.

etienne

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • About energy
  • Liked: 309
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #10011 on: November 27, 2020, 05:22:01 PM »
Just for fun, here is the letter you get in Luxembourg when your child was in contact with a teacher that has been tested positive.

They recommend that the child reduces his social contacts.

Stronger measures are only taken if 2 cases occur together. My son only had 4 contacts since October 30th.

Bruce Steele

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 752
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #10012 on: November 27, 2020, 06:19:36 PM »
I don’t know how bexit affects Covid but it seems rule of law provisos from Brussels are having some pushback by Hungary and Poland on Covid funding ?
 I’d like to hear more on European politics because I am hoping for some diversion from Trump 24 seven.

https://www.dw.com/en/eu-agrees-to-link-rule-of-law-to-budget-fund-access/a-55512303

El CID ?

Alexander555

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 185
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #10013 on: November 27, 2020, 06:53:04 PM »
I can tell you something about belgium covid politics. The reason why so many died in the first wave. Is because they did not provided help to the people in the carehomes. The moment they got to the point they  needed help from a hospital. They just closed the door, and waited until the were dead. In one case it took 7 days to die, no water was provided, and no food. I always thought that a human can live for a few days without water. Canyou imagine how horrible that was for these people. Your lungs get full, you feel like you are drawing. You hope that the door will go open. And that the people that are there to help you come in. But the door did not open for these people. Thet just let them die. Like in auschwitz.

Alexander555

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 185
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #10014 on: November 27, 2020, 06:58:59 PM »
And even at the peak, hospitals were only 50 % full.

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10015 on: November 27, 2020, 09:08:42 PM »
I don’t know how bexit affects Covid but it seems rule of law provisos from Brussels are having some pushback by Hungary and Poland on Covid funding ?
 I’d like to hear more on European politics because I am hoping for some diversion from Trump 24 seven.

https://www.dw.com/en/eu-agrees-to-link-rule-of-law-to-budget-fund-access/a-55512303

El CID ?

It´s basically off topic here since it is not really related to Covid. It´s just the regular EU fight over  money. Just make a thread for EU politics below since it is an interesting subject.

El Cid

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 923
  • Likes Given: 226
« Reply #10016 on: November 27, 2020, 09:22:01 PM »
El CID ?

It´s basically off topic here since it is not really related to Covid. It´s just the regular EU fight over  money.

Yeah, kassy's right. Sorry about our prime minister :(

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1158
  • Likes Given: 430
« Reply #10017 on: November 27, 2020, 10:19:11 PM »
11/27/2020, U.S. by state:
Illinois hits new COVID milestone:1 out of 1,000 residents dead today, per Worldometers
South Dakota hits COVID milestone: 1 out of every 1,000 residents dead
North Dakota’s COVID deaths continue to rise: ~1 out of every 850 of its residents are dead.

< “I live in SD. Not all of us are science deniers or maskholes. We’re just outnumbered by people who reject reality and insert their own beliefs. We’re stuck in an endless loop of denial, apathy, arrogance, and fatalism wrapped in the flag of Freedumb! FML”

⬇️ Below: First chart is weekly deaths per capita. Second chart is total deaths.

https://twitter.com/steventdennis/status/1332397770318127105
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

Rodius

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10018 on: November 27, 2020, 11:35:53 PM »

Drugs Hyped as Coronavirus Treatment Linked to Psychiatric Disorders, Says EU Agency
https://www.politico.eu/article/drugs-hyped-as-coronavirus-treatment-linked-to-psychiatric-disorders-says-ema/amp/

Chloroquine and a related compound, hydroxychloroquine, have been associated with cases of psychiatric disturbances and suicidal behavior after being given to COVID-19 patients, warned the EU’s drug regulator today.

My first wife and I went to Africa for three months and she used Chloroquine for her antimalarial drug.
I used Doxi.

Before we left we both trialed Choroquine because the doctor said it is best to find out about side effects before leaving.
I took it and I became extremely angry and almost bashed a co-worker. I am not an angry person, never have been barring that two week period, but on that drug, I had some seriously awful anger problems which taught me a lot about how people can have anger problems and how they can lose control. I stopped taking the drug, the anger left me forever... which I great.

My wife had no side effects..... until we got to Africa.
In the first month, she went from weird dreams to full on hallucinations and extremely erratic behavior. She was full on crazy, and I could tell many stories about the entire experience. It took me three weeks to convince her to stop taking the drug, and when she did, the side effects never left her. This drug is, in no small part, the reason that marriage ended. She never really recovered mentally or emotionally from using that drug for 10 weeks way back in 1999.

This is not an uncommon story and I seriously wonder how the hell such a shit drug with such terrible side effects has lasted so bloody long in circulation. It shouldn't ever be used.... ever.

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10019 on: November 28, 2020, 12:27:08 AM »
^ and now, a person that took/is taking that drug is commanding a nuclear superpower. Hopefully he won't have anger management issues ... Oops! ... too late ...

-----------------------------------------

meanwhile ...

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said forecasting models predict that a surge in coronavirus deaths could see the country reach as many as 321,000 fatalities in the coming weeks.

According to the health agency, the country is predicted to reach between 294,000 and 321,000 total coronavirus deaths by Dec. 19. As of Friday, the country had already tallied 263,484 deaths, according to Johns Hopkins University.

The country currently has 90,481 people hospitalized for coronavirus - a record-breaking number for the 17th day in a row, according to the COVID Tracking Project.

Out of those, 17,802 people are in the intensive care unit, which is the highest amount documented during the pandemic. A total of 5,979 people are on ventilators.

Type O Blood Linked to Lower COVID Risk
https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN2872LH

A study adds to evidence that people with type O or Rh*negative blood may be at slightly lower risk from the coronavirus.

Among 225,556 Canadians who were tested for the virus, the risk for a Covid-19 diagnosis was 12% lower and the risk for severe COVID-19 or death was 13% lower in people with blood group O versus those with A, AB, or B, researchers reported in Annals of Internal Medicine.

People in any blood group who were Rh-negative were also somewhat protected, especially if they had O-negative blood.

People in these blood type groups may have developed antibodies that can recognize some aspect of the new virus, co-author Dr Joel Ray of St. Michael’s Hospital in Toronto told Reuters.

Association Between ABO and Rh Blood Groups and SARS-CoV-2 Infection or Severe COVID-19 Illness
https://www.acpjournals.org/doi/10.7326/M20-4511

Taking Vitamin D Unlikely to Help

... Low levels of vitamin D have been linked to higher risk for severe COVID-19, but high vitamin D levels do not fix the problem. Increasing vitamin D levels in critically ill patients did not shorten their hospital stay or lower their odds of being moved to intensive care, needing mechanical ventilation, or dying, doctors in Brazil found. They randomly gave 240 patients hospitalized with severe COVID-19 either a single high dose of vitamin D3 or a placebo. Only 6.7% of patients in the vitamin D group had "deficient" levels of the nutrient, compared to 51.5% of patients in the placebo group, but there was no difference in the outcomes, according to a paper posted on medRxiv ahead of peer review. The same was true when the researchers focused on the 116 patients with vitamin D deficiency before the treatment. The authors say theirs is the first randomized trial of its kind to show that vitamin D supplementation "is ineffective to improve hospital length of stay or any other clinical outcomes among hospitalized patients with severe COVID-19."

Effect of Vitamin D3 Supplementation vs Placebo on Hospital Length of Stay in Patients with Severe COVID-19: A Multicenter, Double-blind, Randomized Controlled Trial
https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.11.16.20232397v1

---------------------------------------

Triggers of COVID-19 "Cytokine Storm" Identified

A form of inflammatory cell death called panoptosis triggers the storm of cytokines, or inflammatory proteins, that causes critical illness in COVID-19, researchers say. During panoptosis, "cells spew out their contents instead of neatly packaging them away" as happens during routine cell death, Thirumala-Devi Kanneganti of St. Jude Children's Research Hospital told Reuters. Neighboring cells see the debris, including cytokines, as a sign of danger, and respond by secreting more cytokines, allowing the cytokine storm to build, said Kanneganti. Her team identified a synergy between two cytokines, TNF-alpha and IFN-gamma, as the cause of panoptosis in COVID-19. Mice given TNF-alpha and IFN-gamma developed the symptoms and organ damage of COVID-19 and died rapidly, Kanneganti said. Treatment with antibodies that neutralize these two cytokines protected the mice from death, not just from COVID-19 but also from other life-threatening illnesses involving cytokine storms, such as sepsis, her team reported in Cell. Trials are needed to test these treatments in humans, Kanneganti said.

Synergism of TNF-α and IFN-γ triggers inflammatory cell death, tissue damage, and mortality in SARS-CoV-2 infection and cytokine shock syndromes
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0092867420315427

Scores of Worker COVID Deaths Not Reported Amid US Regulator's Lenient Approach
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/nov/27/us-regulator-osha-covid-deaths-workers

Employers given broad discretion on whether to report worker deaths to OSHA  (Occupational Safety and Health Administration) – and many have simply chosen not to

... State and federal laws say facilities like Ludeman are required to alert Occupational Safety and Health Administration officials about work-related employee deaths within eight hours of learning about the death. But facility officials did not deem the first staff death on 13 April work-related, so they did not report it. They made the same decision about the second and third deaths. And Walter’s.

The department said “it could not determine the employees contracted Covid-19 at the workplace” – despite its being the site of one of the largest US outbreaks.

It’s a pattern that’s emerged across the nation, according to a review by Guardian partner Kaiser Health News, of hundreds of worker deaths detailed by family members, colleagues and local, state and federal records.

KHN examined more than 240 deaths of healthcare workers profiled for the Lost on the Frontline project and found that employers did not report more than one-third of them to a state or federal OSHA office, many based on internal decisions that the deaths were not work-related – conclusions that were not independently reviewed.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2020, 12:48:29 AM by vox_mundi »
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― anonymous

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late

glennbuck

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 133
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #10020 on: November 28, 2020, 02:08:13 AM »
Second Vitamin D clinical trial, positive results

zufall

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 50
  • Likes Given: 58
« Reply #10021 on: November 28, 2020, 08:50:06 AM »
New cases per million inhabitants in the last 7 days compared with the previous 7 days (source: Worldometers)

etienne

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • About energy
« Reply #10022 on: November 28, 2020, 09:37:33 AM »
Hi Zufall,

Nice numbers. Do you also have them with the death cases ?

Luxembourg started a partial lockdown (no restaurants and pubs, no sport, but schools working almost normally).

Etienne

glennbuck

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 133
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #10023 on: November 28, 2020, 10:09:37 AM »
More than 2.5 million people in England are to be offered a free supply of vitamin D by the government, officials have said.

Care homes in England will automatically receive supplies of the supplement for their residents in plans announced on Saturday. People on the clinically extremely vulnerable list will be sent a letter offering them the chance to opt in for a supply to their homes.

The free deliveries will start in January, providing four months worth of vitamin D to up to 2.7 million people.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/nov/28/more-than-25m-people-in-england-to-get-free-vitamin-d-supply

Richard Rathbone

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 388
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #10024 on: November 28, 2020, 12:27:04 PM »
More than 2.5 million people in England are to be offered a free supply of vitamin D by the government, officials have said.

Care homes in England will automatically receive supplies of the supplement for their residents in plans announced on Saturday. People on the clinically extremely vulnerable list will be sent a letter offering them the chance to opt in for a supply to their homes.

The free deliveries will start in January, providing four months worth of vitamin D to up to 2.7 million people.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/nov/28/more-than-25m-people-in-england-to-get-free-vitamin-d-supply

Its actually pretty scandalous that anyone in a care home wasn't getting a supplement already. There is longstanding advice that everyone in the UK should be taking vitamin D in the winter months, and the list of those that should take it year round is pretty extensive. There hasn't been much publicity for it, so the general public are unlikely to know it, but anyone running a care home should already have known what the advice was and been following it.

etienne

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • About energy
« Reply #10025 on: November 28, 2020, 12:28:29 PM »

Excess Vitamin D used to produce kidney stones. I wonder if it still is the case.

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 602
  • Likes Given: 409
« Reply #10026 on: November 28, 2020, 01:56:16 PM »
"A force de chercher de bonnes raisons, on en trouve; on les dit; et après on y tient, non pas tant parce qu'elles sont bonnes que pour ne pas se démentir." Choderlos de Laclos "You struggle to come up with some valid reasons, then cling to them, not because they're good, but just to not back down."

Richard Rathbone

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10027 on: November 28, 2020, 01:56:47 PM »

Excess Vitamin D used to produce kidney stones. I wonder if it still is the case.

I think this is a reason why advice on vitamin D isn't given much publicity. People tend to think 10micrograms good 100 better, rather than the medicine is the dose. Manufacturers pander to this too. 10 is the recommended level but its pretty hard to find it being sold. 25 is the norm, and 100 where damage starts to become a risk.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vitamins-and-minerals/vitamin-d/

gandul

« Reply #10028 on: November 28, 2020, 02:42:00 PM »
Man, you guys will keep Trump in a non political thread until when? 2032?

If we compare the US Trump strategy or lack thereof (and US governors) with the EU case, well, it’s not like we’re doing much better.
Gee I wonder what Biden is going to do to completely reverse Trump, that has not been tried yet in Europe. Hopefully vaccines will save the necks of us all.

So when is the official date the anti Trumpers start ignoring Trump in this and other threads?

gandul

« Reply #10029 on: November 28, 2020, 02:45:05 PM »

About time!! The issue has been completely ignored in Spain (except once the patient is in the hospital) and to monitor and prescribe supplements after the first wave could have been a relatively cheap game changer for the second waves
« Last Edit: November 28, 2020, 02:50:07 PM by gandul »

gandul

« Reply #10030 on: November 28, 2020, 03:07:32 PM »

My first wife and I went to Africa for three months and she used Chloroquine for her antimalarial drug.
I used Doxi.

Before we left we both trialed Choroquine because the doctor said it is best to find out about side effects before leaving.
I took it and I became extremely angry and almost bashed a co-worker. I am not an angry person, never have been barring that two week period, but on that drug, I had some seriously awful anger problems which taught me a lot about how people can have anger problems and how they can lose control. I stopped taking the drug, the anger left me forever... which I great.

My wife had no side effects..... until we got to Africa.
In the first month, she went from weird dreams to full on hallucinations and extremely erratic behavior. She was full on crazy, and I could tell many stories about the entire experience. It took me three weeks to convince her to stop taking the drug, and when she did, the side effects never left her. This drug is, in no small part, the reason that marriage ended. She never really recovered mentally or emotionally from using that drug for 10 weeks way back in 1999.

This is not an uncommon story and I seriously wonder how the hell such a shit drug with such terrible side effects has lasted so bloody long in circulation. It shouldn't ever be used.... ever.

Chloroquine is known to be far more toxic than Hydroxychloroquine.
I happen to know first-hand that HCQ or Ivermectin are being provided in some cases in the biggest hospital of Madrid-South. There are not many more alternatives apart from New York Times, CNN, and BBC endorsed Remdesivir (1000’s € /dose placebo approved by US elites with stakes in Gilead).

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #10031 on: November 28, 2020, 03:34:28 PM »
I take 5000 units a day, but I have a diagnosed Vitamin D deficiency.

Andre Koelewijn

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 30
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #10032 on: November 28, 2020, 05:18:13 PM »
So when is the official date the anti Trumpers start ignoring Trump in this and other threads?
January 20, 2021, at noon EST.

Rodius

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10033 on: November 29, 2020, 05:07:04 AM »
A good article about the challenges the Victorian Govt, Australia, had during the second wave in Melbourne.

In essence, the right wing Murdoch media attacked him throughout the event, lied, made false claims and wanted the economy opened up the entire time.

Worth a read.

https://bylinetimes.com/2020/11/27/how-dictator-dan-defied-a-dangerous-murdoch-media-and-led-australia-to-covid-victory/

zufall

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 50
  • Likes Given: 58
« Reply #10034 on: November 29, 2020, 08:38:34 AM »
Nice numbers. Do you also have them with the death cases ?

Luxembourg started a partial lockdown (no restaurants and pubs, no sport, but schools working almost normally).

Hi Etienne! Here is a table with the respective death numbers. The second one is sorted by growth/decline, here I also included the countries with the steepest decline. In the second table, I only considered countries where the death count in the previous 7 days was at least 5, to remove some statistical outliers.
For Luxembourg, there is at least a small decline in the death numbers ...

EDIT: Corrected the second table (it contained the numbers from the previous week).
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 10:40:29 AM by zufall »

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10035 on: November 29, 2020, 12:01:03 PM »
https://mobile.twitter.com/JennKaytin/status/1331068616196845571

Jenn Kaytin Robinson @JennKaytin ·Nov 23

Hi! I am an American who came to Australia for work. I am in Sydney (NSW) a place where there have been ZERO community transmitted cases of Covid 19 in several days. How did this happen? I'm so glad you asked. ...

gandul

« Reply #10036 on: November 29, 2020, 06:41:07 PM »
Watching the last video by Dr Campbell, he is appalled by the months-long silence of authorities and mass media on Vitamin D beneficial effects for the general population against COVID-19, silence now finally broken by the UK authorities.
Very much in sync with studies leaving remdesivir in evidence of what really it is.

Let’s see if there is a similar awakening to vitamin D everywhere else, which for the time being has been left in the fringes. The idea is to maintain vit D levels up using supplements on a moderate amount (too much can be harmful), until at least Apr-May, then let sun do its job.

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 602
  • Likes Given: 409
« Reply #10037 on: November 29, 2020, 10:56:50 PM »
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 11:04:31 PM by wili »
"A force de chercher de bonnes raisons, on en trouve; on les dit; et après on y tient, non pas tant parce qu'elles sont bonnes que pour ne pas se démentir." Choderlos de Laclos "You struggle to come up with some valid reasons, then cling to them, not because they're good, but just to not back down."

Rodius

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10038 on: November 29, 2020, 11:46:38 PM »
Government model suggests U.S. COVID-19 cases could be approaching 100 Million

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2020/11/26/npr-government-model-suggests-u-s-covid-19-cases-could-be-approaching-100-million

The mass murder to reach a temporary relief from herd immunity would be a breath of fresh air until the immunity wears off or a mutated form begins the process again.

I don't understand why people think herd immunity means this ends.... it doesn't stop the virus, it just changes and it begins again.

I also am not understanding why people think Covid will cease to be a problem within five years, even with a vaccine. The mutation rate via other species is, to me anyway, frighteningly fast.
We found the mink variety already, unless that is just really terrible luck, this virus is not going to leave us to the old normal ever again.

We will end up with Covid only hospitals eventually and the training of nurses and doctors will still take years to catch up with the patient numbers.

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10039 on: November 29, 2020, 11:57:31 PM »
‘It’s Bad. It’s Really Bad’: Anchorage Nurses Under Pressure as COVID-19 Pushes Busy Hospitals to the Brink
https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/anchorage/2020/11/28/its-bad-its-really-bad-anchorage-nurses-under-pressure-as-covid-19-pushes-busy-hospitals-to-the-brink/

... Even Alaska’s top health officials acknowledge there aren’t enough nurses in the state to staff existing hospital beds, never mind any overflow centers authorities might open if patients max out health care capacity. Limited staffing in Alaska’s “brittle” health care system prompted Anchorage officials to enact a hunker-down order for the month of December.

The virus itself is having an obvious impact, increasing patient loads while eroding staff numbers. Nurses say the problem is reaching critical levels.

... Providence Alaska Medical Center, the state’s largest hospital, recently acquired a refrigerated trailer to use as a temporary morgue if necessary in light of rising case numbers.

... One Anchorage registered nurse said the staffing crisis hit home when her young child got sick and spiked a fever. She prayed her pediatrician wouldn’t recommend a trip to the ER — at the hospital where she works. She trusts the providers with her life, she said, but they’re overworked and understaffed.

“It’s bad. It’s really bad,” the nurse said. “It’s a lot worse than the hospitals want the public to know.”

---------------------------------------------------

US Hits Four Million Monthly Covid-19 Cases as Fauci Warns of Holiday Surge
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/nov/29/us-hits-four-million-monthly-covid-19-cases-as-fauci-warns-of-holiday-surge

The United States passed four million cases of the coronavirus for November on Saturday, more than double the record 1.9 million cases set in October.

“What we expect, unfortunately, as we go for the next couple of weeks into December, is that we might see a surge superimposed on the surge we are already in,” Dr Anthony Fauci said in an interview on NBC News’ Meet the Press on Sunday.

"There almost certainly is going to be an uptick because of what has happened with the travel," Fauci told CNN's "State of the Union" as the Thanksgiving long weekend ended.

Airline and transportation authorities report Americans traveled by the millions over the weekend, and amid Black Friday, retailers experienced large crowds and overnight lines despite government and merchant pleas to primarily shop online.

“I want to be straight with the American people, it’s gonna get worse over the next several weeks,” US Surgeon General Jerome Adams acknowledged on Fox News Sunday.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 04:21:46 AM by vox_mundi »

bbr2315

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 73
  • Likes Given: 77
« Reply #10040 on: November 30, 2020, 05:52:52 AM »
Government model suggests U.S. COVID-19 cases could be approaching 100 Million

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2020/11/26/npr-government-model-suggests-u-s-covid-19-cases-could-be-approaching-100-million

The mass murder to reach a temporary relief from herd immunity would be a breath of fresh air until the immunity wears off or a mutated form begins the process again.

I don't understand why people think herd immunity means this ends.... it doesn't stop the virus, it just changes and it begins again.

I also am not understanding why people think Covid will cease to be a problem within five years, even with a vaccine. The mutation rate via other species is, to me anyway, frighteningly fast.
We found the mink variety already, unless that is just really terrible luck, this virus is not going to leave us to the old normal ever again.

We will end up with Covid only hospitals eventually and the training of nurses and doctors will still take years to catch up with the patient numbers.
Yes, like Spanish Flu kept mutating.... or, wait, did it?

Are you a hysterical secular fundamentalist? Your posts would argue, "YES". Secular fundamentalism is the general populace's newfound love for science in place of religion,

<Deleted a part for the usual reason. kassy>
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 02:08:21 PM by kassy »

Archimid

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 899
  • Likes Given: 206
« Reply #10041 on: November 30, 2020, 09:35:05 AM »
“I want to be straight with the American people, it’s gonna get worse over the next several weeks,” US Surgeon General Jerome Adams acknowledged on Fox News Sunday.

Jerome Adams.

https://video.foxnews.com/v/6137596907001#sp=show-clips

Jerome Adams.

What entered these people's heads to not recommend mask use?

To think this could have been over in March, but the campaign of massive disinformation guided us straight here.

It is the same thing as climate change but happening much faster and with much less loss. We know is coming. We know is going to be horrible. We have the know-how and resources to stop it. But we don't. Instead, we let it happen.
I am an energy reservoir seemingly intent on lowering entropy for self preservation.

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #10042 on: November 30, 2020, 12:23:55 PM »
My Trumpist cousin/guardian was all social distance + masking back even before the lockdown. He is Right Wing and he was still sensible about covid back when they were calling it a "new coronavirus". Even with American politics I don't see why this had to happen.

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10043 on: November 30, 2020, 02:22:35 PM »
Yes, like Spanish Flu kept mutating.... or, wait, did it?

Are you a hysterical secular fundamentalist? Your posts would argue, "YES". Secular fundamentalism is the general populace's newfound love for science in place of religion,

1 Yes it kept mutating a bit. It became the standard seasonal flu.

2 With virusses jumping into humans over time the more efficient mutations win out which means decreased virulence.

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10044 on: November 30, 2020, 02:54:15 PM »
UK Tier 1 Restrictions Didn't Work, Tier Reallocation Too Slow, Research Shows
https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-11-tier-restrictions-england-didnt-reallocation.html

Tier 1 restrictions in England have had "little impact" on COVID-19 transmission according to new research from the University of East Anglia.

"Each tier had different lockdown rules—with Tier 1 being the most relaxed, and Tier 3 having the strictest rules.

... "We wanted to analyze how well that system worked, which is particularly important right now because we are due to revert back to the tier system, or a version of it, when lockdown ends on December 2."

... Prof Hunter said: "We show quite clearly that Tier 1 restrictions were inadequate. They had little impact on transmission and allowed exponential growth (R >1.5) in the large majority of authorities (local government areas) such as Kingston upon Hull, until it was moved into Tier 2, and Kings Lynn and West Norfolk.

"We found that the impact in Tier 2 areas was mixed (R~ 1). Exponential growth was being seen in about about half of authorities so the restrictions were not adequate in those areas. However, the infection rate declined in other areas so the restrictions seemed to be enough in some places.

"Tier 3, which barred all indoor household mixing in areas such as Rossendale and South Ribble authorities in Lancashire had the most impact and was effective in most of the authorities in that top tier (R~ 0.9)."

"In our view, the main problem was not actually the tiers, but that local authorities were not being put in the most appropriate tier quickly enough.

"The three-tier system would likely have been sufficient to control the epidemic if all authorities had been moved out of Tier 1 into Tier 2, and if those authorities where the epidemic was still increasing in Tier 2 had been moved into Tier 3 more swiftly.

"If authorities were not moved up a tier until the number of rising cases had already gotten out of control, the horse had already bolted.

"What is needed as we move out of the national lockdown is a faster mechanism (more testing) to identify those areas where the epidemic is not being controlled that can enable more timely placement into a more appropriate tier."

Paul R Hunter et al. The effectiveness of the three-tier system of local restrictions for control of COVID-19, (2020).
https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.11.22.20236422v1

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10045 on: November 30, 2020, 03:55:29 PM »
Antidepressant May Keep Some COVID-19 Patients Out of Hospital
https://m.startribune.com/this-antidepressant-may-keep-covid-19-patients-out-of-hospital/573230301/?clmob=y&c=n

Early-stage research published in a major journal this month found the antidepressant fluvoxamine may prevent patients with COVID-19 from needing hospital care.

The findings are strong, but preliminary. According to a report in JAMA, no one who took the drug for two weeks soon after being diagnosed with COVID developed serious breathing problems, vs. 8% on a placebo who had shortness of breath and low oxygen levels. The study involved 152 people.

“It was a well-done trial. But it’s still a relatively small number of patients, and that is the only concern,” said Dr. David Boulware, an infectious disease physician and researcher with the University of Minnesota. Boulware is an unpaid adviser on the study’s design.

... Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) like fluvoxamine work by releasing molecules that bind to receptors in the central nervous system that affect mental health. Fluvoxamine binds to sigma-1 receptors, which also affect immune response that can damage the lungs of COVID patients.

... A course of the generic drug for COVID costs about $12.

Eric J. Lenze, MD, et.al, Fluvoxamine vs Placebo and Clinical Deterioration in Outpatients With Symptomatic COVID-19: A Randomized Clinical Trial, JAMA, (2020)
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/10.1001/jama.2020.22760?guestAccessKey=4fbdad81-8bd8-42ed-bef1-68c7ee8f0478&utm_source=silverchair&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=article_alert-jama&utm_term=mostread&utm_content=olf-widget_11202020

Findings:  In this randomized trial that included 152 adult outpatients with confirmed COVID-19 and symptom onset within 7 days, clinical deterioration occurred in 0 patients treated with fluvoxamine vs 6 (8.3%) patients treated with placebo over 15 days, a difference that was statistically significant.

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #10046 on: November 30, 2020, 06:03:15 PM »
Actually kassy my understanding is that Spanish Flu vanished after a couple years.

Richard Rathbone

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10047 on: November 30, 2020, 08:13:44 PM »
UK Tier 1 Restrictions Didn't Work, Tier Reallocation Too Slow, Research Shows

Providing it doesn't get gutted by MPs tomorrow, the revised version will do pretty much what this analysis says it should. A bit stricter overall, hardly any use of Tier 1, and cutting out a lot of the delays in reallocation.

However MPs in general are woefully out of touch with the state of the pandemic in their constituencies compared to ministers, sometimes not even realising that their constituents are having treatments cancelled because their hospitals are full with COVID patients. Its not a done deal that ministers won't cave in and gut the measures to mollify their backbenchers. The last big blast of publicity was about Liverpool so Kent MPs think its Liverpool that has the problem while Kent is now the worst area. The detailed published figures are about a week old, and Liverpool's rate was tumbling while Kent's isn't and its quite likely Kent will be 3x as infected as Liverpool now. Liverpool 115/100k per week. Kent 280/100k.  https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/interactive-map

Medway looks like its been ignoring lockdown completely, no sign of an inflection point there at all. 150/100k when lockdown went into effect, 480/100k now. The rest of Kent did plateau with lockdown at 200/100k but all the rest of the worst councils in England have been falling fast for a couple of weeks (probably 3 given that the data is a week old) https://twitter.com/RP131/status/1333448730704568321/photo/1

Kent is the prime example of a Tier 1 area where the the Tier 1 restrictions weren't working and it got so complacent that lockdown isn't working. Maybe the publicity they are getting now will jolt them out of their complacency, it needs to happen because there's quite a big difference between how fast infection dropped in Liverpool (old Tier 3 where there was a strong local response to drive infection down after going into Tier 3) and Manchester (old Tier 3 where there was strong local resistance to being in Tier 3). Liverpool dropped from 600 to 100 about as fast as Manchester dropped from 500 to 200.

gandul

« Reply #10048 on: November 30, 2020, 08:15:23 PM »
This video was taken yesterday in the center of Madrid. Christmas lights on, stores open and everything.
To be honest, streets have already been pretty crowded in past weekends except when raining.  People gets relaxed in the open. Less crowded than it looks in the video too. The telescopic effect makes look people less distanced than they really are.

Anyway, such craze, people really want this to finish one way or another.

The second wave is waning in Spain but the virus is not under control. A lovely Christmas rebound? Makes you think, so close to the massive vaccinations of 2021

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10049 on: November 30, 2020, 09:47:56 PM »
... it's not the amount of sunlight or supplements that matter; it's the microbiome ...

Study Reveals Connection Between Gut Bacteria and Vitamin D Levels
https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-11-reveals-gut-bacteria-vitamin-d.html

University of California San Diego researchers and collaborators recently demonstrated in older men that the makeup of a person's gut microbiome is linked to their levels of active vitamin D, a hormone important for bone health and immunity.

The study, published November 26, 2020 in Nature Communications, also revealed a new understanding of vitamin D and how it's typically measured.

Vitamin D can take several different forms, but standard blood tests detect only one, an inactive precursor that can be stored by the body. To use vitamin D, the body must metabolize the precursor into an active form.

"We were surprised to find that microbiome diversity—the variety of bacteria types in a person's gut—was closely associated with active vitamin D, but not the precursor form," said senior author Deborah Kado, MD, director of the Osteoporosis Clinic at UC San Diego Health. "Greater gut microbiome diversity is thought to be associated with better health in general."

... Multiple studies have suggested that people with low vitamin D levels are at higher risk for cancer, heart disease, worse COVID-19 infections and other diseases. Yet the largest randomized clinical trial to date, with more than 25,000 adults, concluded that taking vitamin D supplements has no effect on health outcomes, including heart disease, cancer or even bone health.

"Our study suggests that might be because these studies measured only the precursor form of vitamin D, rather than active hormone," ...

Because they live in different regions of the U.S., the men in the study are exposed to differing amounts of sunlight, a source of vitamin D. As expected, men who lived in San Diego, California got the most sun, and they also had the most precursor form of vitamin D.

But the team unexpectedly found no correlations between where men lived and their levels of active vitamin D hormone. ... "So in this case, maybe it's not how much vitamin D you supplement with, but how you encourage your body to use it."

Robert L. Thomas et al. Vitamin D metabolites and the gut microbiome in older men, Nature Communications (2020).
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-020-19793-8