Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: A Security Threat Assessment of Global Climate Change  (Read 2169 times)

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
  • Don't Vote NatC or PopCon, Save Lives!
    • View Profile
    • The Arctic sea ice Great White Con
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 87
A Security Threat Assessment of Global Climate Change
« on: February 29, 2020, 11:27:08 AM »
I guess you could argue this isn't the best place to announce the release of "A Security Threat Assessment of Global Climate Change", a report by the allegedly "non partisan" National Security, Military and Intelligence Panel (NSMIP) of the Center for Climate and Security:

https://climateandsecurity.org/a-security-threat-assessment-of-global-climate-change/

However the report makes much mention of the Arctic, including by way of example:

Russian aggression towards the West may increase alongside severe warming, as it seeks to claim Arctic territories or productive agricultural lands outside its existing borders. Facing an intense threat of permafrost melt in its most northern latitudes, Russia will also face irreversible and costly impacts on its lands and infrastructure, with serious repercussions for the state of global emissions. Its current efforts to prop-up authoritarian governments, challenge political borders, and invade militarily in the European and nearby regions give us some indication of how Russia could exploit the political chaos arising from severe climate change.
"The most revolutionary thing one can do always is to proclaim loudly what is happening" - Rosa Luxemburg

prokaryotes

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
    • Climate State
  • Liked: 47
  • Likes Given: 37
Re: A Security Threat Assessment of Global Climate Change
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2020, 01:22:31 AM »
I just leave this here...

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5289
  • Likes Given: 69
Re: A Security Threat Assessment of Global Climate Change
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2020, 08:54:34 PM »
The satellite that gives us NSIDC data is a USAF satellite - they were sent up there to give meteo data as part of USAF combat preparedness.

As you can see from its URL, https://www7320.nrlssc.navy.mil/GLBhycomcice1-12/skill.html, Hycom is a US Navy product.  I don't think they have produced it to give better data to the ASIF.
I am still surprised that the current US Administration hasn't blocked data such as this (yet) to the climate science community. Incompetence has its uses.

Reported on ASIF some time ago were US Defence reports on the vulnerability of many Naval & other military facilities from sea level rise, studiously ignored by the current White House.
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)