Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Re-using facemasks, anti-viral, with table salt  (Read 1249 times)

morganism

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 215
  • Likes Given: 124
Re-using facemasks, anti-viral, with table salt
« on: March 19, 2020, 08:09:49 AM »

Universal and reusable virus deactivation system for respiratory protection

Scientific Reports volume 7, Article number: 39956 (2017)

Here, we report the development of a universal, reusable virus deactivation system by functionalization of the main fibrous filtration unit of surgical mask with sodium chloride salt. The salt coating on the fiber surface dissolves upon exposure to virus aerosols and recrystallizes during drying, destroying the pathogens. When tested with tightly sealed sides, salt-coated filters showed remarkably higher filtration efficiency than conventional mask filtration layer, and 100% survival rate was observed in mice infected with virus penetrated through salt-coated filters. Viruses captured on salt-coated filters exhibited rapid infectivity loss compared to gradual decrease on bare filters. Salt-coated filters proved highly effective in deactivating influenza viruses regardless of subtypes and following storage in harsh environmental conditions. Our results can be applied in obtaining a broad-spectrum, airborne pathogen prevention device in preparation for epidemic and pandemic of respiratory diseases.

SteveMDFP

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 583
  • Likes Given: 42
Re: Re-using facemasks, anti-viral, with table salt
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2020, 01:50:33 PM »

Universal and reusable virus deactivation system for respiratory protection

Scientific Reports volume 7, Article number: 39956 (2017)

Here, we report the development of a universal, reusable virus deactivation system by functionalization of the main fibrous filtration unit of surgical mask with sodium chloride salt. ...

We already have a coronavirus thread, where this belongs, please don't start new threads needlessly.

My finger-wagging aside, this is worth posting.  It's only the second time I've read this information anywhere.  It makes perfect sense biologically, and an exceptionally cheap, easy way to ease the shortage of N95 masks.  The technique could save lives, especially of healthcare workers.

interstitial

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 567
  • Likes Given: 96
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2020, 10:50:14 PM »
If we were focused on sustainability maybe we wouldn't have a shortage to begin with. I know in medicine they like to throw away everything. I was surprised when I learned that it is cheaper and lower liability to just buy new surgical implements than it is to autoclave them.

morganism

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 215
  • Likes Given: 124
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2020, 12:21:31 PM »
this didn't get added, but you can use CPAP , sleep apnea machines as ventilators

https://emcrit.org/pulmcrit/cpap-covid/

The above model would suggest that COVID patients really need positive
pressure more than anything else.  For example, their work of
breathing is often tolerable – so they may not need much mechanical
support for the work of breathing (indeed, mechanical support could
lead to injuriously large tidal volumes).

The best modality to provide lots of positive pressure is simply
Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP).  CPAP may not seem
dramatic, but this modality actually provides the greatest amount of
positive pressure to allow for the most powerful recruitment