Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Can cannabis save the world?  (Read 4545 times)

Freegrass

• Young ice
  • Autodidacticism is a complicated word...
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 951
  • Likes Given: 1251
Can cannabis save the world?
« on: May 21, 2020, 01:08:32 AM »
It had to be done....

So that's why I never got infected...  :o

Can I make a "Cannabis can save the world" thread Neven?

Cannabis is cleaning up nuclear radiation in Chernobyl, and building houses with it would store carbon for millions of years while houses would only get stronger...

I can't believe there's no cannabis thread here yet...  >:(

And no... I'm not handing out "free" grass. (maybe sometimes ::) )
I think we should "free the weed"... ;)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 08:25:53 PM by Freegrass »
90% of the world is religious, but somehow "love thy neighbour" became "fuck thy neighbours", if they don't agree with your point of view.

WTF happened?

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
Re: Cannabis can help save the planet
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 03:26:01 AM »
90% of the world is religious, but somehow "love thy neighbour" became "fuck thy neighbours", if they don't agree with your point of view.

WTF happened?

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
Re: Cannabis can help save the planet
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2020, 03:37:11 AM »

WTF happened?

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
Re: Cannabis can help save this planet
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2020, 03:45:38 AM »
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 03:52:01 AM by Freegrass »

WTF happened?

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5289
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2020, 12:00:16 PM »
There's no such thing a a free spliff. Cannabis needs water

https://www.newsdeeply.com/water/community/2017/10/03/as-marijuana-industry-explodes-some-shift-focus-to-water-conservation
As Marijuana Industry Explodes, Some Shift Focus to Water Conservation
No one yet knows how big the legalized recreational marijuana business will become. But as it grows, water consumption is sure to become a concern in the arid West.

MARIJUANA IS BECOMING big business around the West as more states legalize the plant’s cultivation for recreational purposes. California’s entry into the field, which becomes official on January 1, is certain to bring an explosion of cannabis-related commerce simply because of the size of its market.

All this poses a vital question: How much will marijuana tax the West’s water supplies?

No one knows the answer to that yet, but some in the industry are already working diligently to slash marijuana’s water footprint. Marijuana is known to be a thirsty crop, but much of that depends on how it’s grown.

Water Deeply: How much water does marijuana use?
Brandy Keen: It’s pretty water-intensive. It uses a lot of water in comparison to other crops. But what’s really interesting is that cannabis is grown in a controlled environment far more often than agricultural food crops. And when you cultivate in a controlled environment, you can dramatically reduce waste [such as] runoff associated with growing in fields, for instance.
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2020, 12:49:21 PM »
Cannabis needs water
So does food...

https://youtu.be/vApEgrLf7S4?list=PLEiJU--OBmeA8FSFjnuxyRe_W03uLdnsJ

More changes to the forum? Limiting video posts?
Or am I just too drunk to remember how to do it?
One hour ago it still worked...
I think...
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 01:16:51 PM by Freegrass »

WTF happened?

SteveMDFP

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 583
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2020, 01:17:06 PM »
Cannabis needs water
So does food...

https://youtu.be/vApEgrLf7S4?list=PLEiJU--OBmeA8FSFjnuxyRe_W03uLdnsJ

More changes to the forum? Limiting video posts?
Or am I just too drunk to remember how to do it?

The forum software recognizes youtube.com links, not youtu.be links. 
Thus,"https: //www.youtube.com/watch? v=vApEgrLf7S4"

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2041
  • Likes Given: 1986
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2020, 01:22:27 PM »
Just don´t rely on dutch weed because ours has very little CBD in it.
https://www.jellinek.nl/vraag-antwoord/wat-is-cbd/
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2020, 01:24:02 PM »
The forum software recognizes youtube.com links, not youtu.be links. 
Thus,"https: //www.youtube.com/watch? v=vApEgrLf7S4"

So the problem was the alcohol I consumed?
Thanks for that!

I hate you!
Not... ;)

WTF happened?

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2020, 01:26:01 PM »
For people who prefer articles too videos:

LETHBRIDGE, Alberta – Researchers at the University of Lethbridge (ULeth), located in Alberta, Canada, recently published in peer journal Preprints, the results from a non peer-reviewed, preclinical study titled “In Search of Preventative Strategies: Novel Anti-Inflammatory High-CBD Cannabis Sativa Extracts Modulate ACE2 Expression in COVID-19 Gateway Tissues.” Study results indicated hemp extracts high in CBD may help block proteins that provide a “gateway” for COVID-19 to enter host cells.

https://mgretailer.com/cannabis-news/canadian-cannabis-research-study-shows-cbd-could-help-treat-covid-19/

The study:
https://www.preprints.org/manuscript/202004.0315/v1
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5289
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2020, 02:03:26 PM »

LETHBRIDGE, Alberta – Researchers ..recently.. indicated hemp extracts high in CBD may help block proteins that provide a “gateway” for COVID-19 to enter host cells.

For a brief time a mate sometimes gifted me a spliff with guaranteed high CBD.

I found it blocked just about everything.
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

SteveMDFP

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 583
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2020, 02:27:55 PM »

Thanks for that!

I hate you!
Not... ;)

LOL.  The moral of this may be to stick to weed instead.  ;-)

nanning

• Nilas ice
  • 0Kg CO₂, 37 KWh/wk,125L H₂O/wk, No offspring
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 273
  • Likes Given: 23170
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2020, 03:37:41 PM »
"Cannabis can help save this planet"

In another meaning: What if Trump, Bolsonaro and the rest of that ilk would take a couple of spliffs per day? Perhaps they'll relax. That would help to save the planet (a bit longer).

The military to stop with cocaine and smoke spliffs instead?
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly" - Bertrand Russell
"It is preoccupation with what other people from your groups think of you, that prevents you from living freely and nobly" - Nanning
Why do you keep accumulating stuff?

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1012
  • Likes Given: 1034
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2020, 04:32:13 PM »
certainly helps me daily through lockdown .. I am semi-retired after 40 years of defending this wonderful plant . And as for free grass .. I have helped many with exactly that , as medication and sacrament .
   As for hemp .. my encouragement has caused a return to growing (under licence) throughout the island of Ireland for everything from hempcrete to freeze dried juice .. just be cause ...
Conflict is the root of all evil , for being blind it does not see whom it attacks . Yet it always attacks the Son Of God , and the Son of God is you .

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2020, 07:18:04 PM »

Thanks for that!

I hate you!
Not... ;)

LOL.  The moral of this may be to stick to weed instead.  ;-)
True... No hangovers from weed...  :-[

WTF happened?

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2020, 07:28:21 PM »
certainly helps me daily through lockdown .. I am semi-retired after 40 years of defending this wonderful plant . And as for free grass .. I have helped many with exactly that , as medication and sacrament .
   As for hemp .. my encouragement has caused a return to growing (under licence) throughout the island of Ireland for everything from hempcrete to freeze dried juice .. just be cause ...
See how you are? We're soulmates!  :)
And yes... those flowers in the back are taller than me... :D

WTF happened?

Florifulgurator

• Grease ice
  • Virtual world alter ego / अवतार of Martin Gisser
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 236
  • Likes Given: 365
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2020, 08:07:41 PM »
No hangovers from weed...  :-[
Hmmm. While it doesn't feel as bad as an alc hangover, I found my brain wasn't working well next morning. Teaching maths at 8am? Neurons glued. Worse than after an alc party. So, for the sake of Stokes' theorem I threw my pretty plants on the compost. Excellent compost it made. :)
"The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or committed communist, but rather people for whom the difference between facts and fiction, true and false, no longer exists." ~ Hannah Arendt
"Вчи українську це тобі ще знадобиться" ~ Internet

El Cid

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 923
  • Likes Given: 225
Re: Can cannabis save the world?
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2020, 09:19:29 PM »
weed is like alcohol: consume it once in a while and it might even be good for you, consume it every day and you become addicted. seen many of my friends becoming real potheads and their personality changed to the worse (same stands for alcohol)

Cannabis is not a magical substance, it is a drug. We use drugs sometimes for healing (either in body or in mind), but never get addicted to any medicine.

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2020, 09:21:12 PM »
There's a bird in my garden that keeps asking me for "a stukske weed"

« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 09:34:30 PM by Freegrass »

WTF happened?

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2020, 11:05:42 PM »
Can I make a "Cannabis can save the world" thread Neven?
Cannabis is cleaning up nuclear radiation in Chernobyl, and building houses with it would store carbon for millions of years while houses would only get stronger...

Dont' want to ruin your fun, but the above are examples of using industrial hemp which contains hardly any THC or CBD. And it is perfectly legal in most countries. It was used to make clothes and ropes in the Middle Ages

Quote from the Covid thread.

Basically it is useful material but not stuff that is going to safe the world. Maybe this should be in Off-Topic since hardly any post is relevant for policy or solutions related to global warming.

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2020, 12:38:44 AM »
I would happily argue there is nothing more 'on topic' .. b.c. :)
Conflict is the root of all evil , for being blind it does not see whom it attacks . Yet it always attacks the Son Of God , and the Son of God is you .

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2020, 01:19:43 AM »
I would happily argue there is nothing more 'on topic' .. b.c. :)
Amen my brother from another mother!

WTF happened?

wdmn

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 231
  • Likes Given: 182
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2020, 03:30:15 AM »
Smoking marijuana can be quite healing. Hemp has a lot of potential uses... but if the former were enough to avoid climate change, we wouldn't have gotten into this situation in the first place, since most emissions have occurred during a time of increasing use (at least in the global north; the boomer crowd that took power almost all had some experience with the plant).

I also know a lot of chronic users who are deniers, or at least don't think there's anything they can do about climate change (or that it is exaggerated). I know chronic users who have moved in the opposite direction the more they smoke (more compelled by conspiracy theories, less trustful of science). It doesn't magically correct your thinking, or make you understand a subject; that still takes work.

People also react very differently to smoking the plant. You might be surprised by how many wealthy "right wingers" smoke. Even used as a sacrament, there is a point beyond which the plant has diminishing returns.

source: multiple gram a day smoker for many years who was deeply embedded in the culture and spent countless hours around people who use it in all different ways, from a sacrament to a way to relax after work, to part of getting f*'d up on a Friday or Saturday night.

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2020, 05:20:11 AM »
Quote from: wdmn
People also react very differently to smoking the plant.

An important aspect imo.
Now I smoke 0.4g/day (from 7 joints in 7 hours) but have smoked 1.0g/day in the time that I studied physics and taught mathematics (calculus etc). I have had no hang-overs and my preparation meant that I could teach without too much thinking. I never have had headaches from alcohol no matter the amount I'd drunk. The last time I was drunk is >2 years ago.
I have worked with people who were smoking potent stuff all day and didn't seem that affected. I would become lethargic I think.

I used to smoke sativa (amnesia haze) but, probably because of other ingredients, I kept getting small bloody pieces of arteries from my nose in my handkerchief (from runny nose). Alarmed by that, I quit with sativa and have only smoked low-thc indica (white widow) since. Alas these days almost all marihuana you buy is a hybrid and they keep getting stronger in THC-content.

Off-topic (sorry kassy, perhaps move the thread?):

I have ordered 4 quality seeds online from 2 varieties which I pick up this afternoon. One goes in a pot on my balcony and three are to be planted in my community vegetable garden. That's the plan.
Having my own harvest of the stuff would mean an enormous budget relaxation for me i.e. it would increase my 'disposable income' by a factor of 5 or more. And a further big advantage will be to know how it's grown; without pesticides and other chemicals and outside in the soil.

Personal update: I don't drink alcohol at home anymore and I drink less. And I smoke less. This is a multi-year trend. I have no partner or children or other family to make me do it and I am in very good health and I don't care what others think of my usage so this is just from my own discipline and path. Even though I have no future and no friends and a low status. It is great to have strong disciplines without enforcement from groups, cultural, health or other. I really love to eat chocolate but stopped with that too. Just as with coffee and milk.

I think am less addicted to marihuana then most others are to their car and lifestyle. If I am addicted at all.

After a couple of joints my eye whites will be a bit rose/reddish and my face a bit different and other people then may think that I am under influence and not clear thinking anymore, but that's not the case at all. My thinking works like a dream then. Often I have made ASIF posts after 8 joints and 1.5L of lager beer. Almost all my research in hermitage is done in a 'stoned' or 'high' state (more outliers and outlier-patterns show up, it has a function!). Most of the time I get 'high' from smoking because I have a lot of energy and motivation. I write ideas in my agenda and past years agenda's are all written full of text. They are still valid and correct the next day, might you wonder. A matter of calibration and scientific quality of thinking.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 05:25:32 AM by nanning »
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly" - Bertrand Russell
"It is preoccupation with what other people from your groups think of you, that prevents you from living freely and nobly" - Nanning

Rodius

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 645
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2020, 06:30:44 AM »
Quote from: wdmn
People also react very differently to smoking the plant.

An important aspect imo.
Now I smoke 0.4g/day (from 7 joints in 7 hours)

If I ever make it to your part of the woods, doing that would be on my list of things to do...  :D

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2020, 09:44:01 AM »
Nice of you. You're very welcome to joint me Rodius.

Yesterday I've picked up my seeds (I incorrecly thought that I'd ordered only 4 seeds): 1x WhiteWidow autoflowering, 1x NorthernLight autoflowering and 5x SpecialQueen. All are feminized.
I have just been reading up on all kinds of advice on growing cannabis since I'm an absolute beginner. The trees and the forest, it has not become a lot clearer to me and I don't know people with this expertise so I'll treat them as if they were vegetables.

Now I fantasize about not having to buy the stuff again and freeing up ca. 140 euro's a month. That's a small fortune to me and it would mean that I'll be able to save up pretty quick for; a second-hand Quad amplifier; a laminate wooden floor for my living room; a hot air oven so I can make lasagna and cookies etc.; a replacement for my 1989 energy-wasting fridge/freezer; a polsstok of 4.5m; some necessary clothing incl. shoes; a quality backpack.; tools; wooden shoes etc.

Sorry for off-topic post. Perhaps the thread title can be changed to just "Cannabis".

KiwiGriff

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 710
  • Likes Given: 372
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2020, 10:24:08 AM »
Modern Inverter based fridges use a lot less  power. About 30% less than older style single speed compressor fridges. The energy saved will pay for the new fridge  over  a few years. 

Its a weed.
Growing Cannabis outdoors can be just like growing Tomatoes or any other veg you do not need to go overboard unless you want to. Keep it watered  in good soil and the bugs off  you can not go wrong.
Animals can be driven crazy by placing too many in too small a pen. Homo sapiens is the only animal that voluntarily does this to himself.
Notebooks of Lazarus Long.
Robert Heinlein.

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2020, 11:57:55 AM »
high nanning .. I've 35 years of expertise .. plus a horticultural background .. so any questions are welcome . btw .. I would choose linoleum rather than laminate for your floor .. eco friendly and much kinder on bare feet .. b.c.

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2020, 01:59:08 PM »
Sorry for off-topic post. Perhaps the thread title can be changed to just "Cannabis".

Since this thread makes no attempt to prove that cannabis can save the world it probably will be locked shortly.

If you want to keep us updated on the growing proces or ask anything its probably best to start a thread in OT. Could be used for general appreciation too.  :D

There are at least two things to consider.
1) How safe are the locations (i have a heartbreaking story about this but i will only post that in OT  ;) )
2) You need to dry it. (i have a hilarious story on that one)

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2020, 03:54:35 AM »

Since this thread makes no attempt to prove that cannabis can save the world it probably will be locked shortly.

If you want to keep us updated on the growing proces or ask anything its probably best to start a thread in OT. Could be used for general appreciation too.  :D

There are at least two things to consider.
1) How safe are the locations (i have a heartbreaking story about this but i will only post that in OT  ;) )
2) You need to dry it. (i have a hilarious story on that one)
You're right Kassy. I didn't create this thread to talk about smoking weed. It was intended for industrial hemp. I've been absent for a few days, so I'll turn this into the thread I intended it to be next week. Today I'm catching up on reading the ASIF posts I missed...

WTF happened?

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2020, 04:04:43 AM »
You had me laughing out loud for some 10 seconds, be cause!
It is great to read that you have expertise in this. That's very welcome and I am sure that questions (by me) will be forthcoming. Ireland is not that different from coastal Netherlands weather-wise I think.
Thank you for offering your help.

Dear kassy, thank you for the advice and the cliff-hanger (please post 'em).

About my floor covering, I like the warm look & feel of wood (just a thin toplayer). The furniture and interior of my living room is old-fashioned ('30s-'70s) and most is made from wood.

I've created a new thread "Cannabis and Hemp" under general topic "The Rest":
    https://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php/topic,3096.msg265560.html#msg265560

Bruce Steele

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 744
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2020, 05:52:13 AM »
Locally cannabis is heavily taxed and is paying millions into the local tax base. We also have oil revenues but as oil makes it’s slow exit the county tax base will shrink. It just comes down to trying to maintain revenue for keeping the county pensions viable and other county/ state future costs adequate while shrinking taxes from oil continue.  The hotel tax’s and everything service industry is also currently in the toilet but cannabis is cranking. So send pot back Sub Rosa if you choose but there are arguments that a pot tax base is more reliable than other evils like our friend petrochemicals. That is all I have that argues for legal weed but it is climate relevant and grounded in the strange reality of local politics.

Hefaistos

« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2020, 07:17:12 AM »
When I first saw this thread appear, I read quickly and got it to read "Can cannibals save the world?"
An equally relevant topic, I suppose.
Yes, please close this, Kassy.

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2020, 12:06:23 PM »
Locally cannabis is heavily taxed and is paying millions into the local tax base. We also have oil revenues but as oil makes it’s slow exit the county tax base will shrink. It just comes down to trying to maintain revenue for keeping the county pensions viable and other county/ state future costs adequate while shrinking taxes from oil continue.  The hotel tax’s and everything service industry is also currently in the toilet but cannabis is cranking. So send pot back Sub Rosa if you choose but there are arguments that a pot tax base is more reliable than other evils like our friend petrochemicals. That is all I have that argues for legal weed but it is climate relevant and grounded in the strange reality of local politics.
This plant grows fast, has the strongest natural fiber in the world, (al)most nutritious seeds, and it was the first biofuel.

And of course all this can be taxed as it replaces fossil fuel based products.

WTF happened?

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2020, 06:21:50 PM »
Locally cannabis is heavily taxed and is paying millions into the local tax base. ... So send pot back Sub Rosa if you choose but there are arguments that a pot tax base is more reliable than other evils like our friend petrochemicals. That is all I have that argues for legal weed but it is climate relevant and grounded in the strange reality of local politics.

We have so much knowledge here in NL (and actual production too). If i would have been the dutch government i would have legalized and taxed the whole business.

Still it would be a better argument if the government actually declared that they would go for weed over petrochemicals but they don´t do that.

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2020, 06:34:52 PM »
You're right Kassy. I didn't create this thread to talk about smoking weed. It was intended for industrial hemp.

1 Naming it Can industrial hemp save the world? might have been a good idea.

2 And can it? I am not going to watch random YT vids without at least some plug. Write who is argueing what in the video.

Using it on a large scale might be a good idea but how do we know? If you want to follow up providing the potential savings in carbon along the opening post.

Closing this one.