Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Cannabis and Hemp  (Read 7106 times)

nanning

• Nilas ice
  • 0Kg CO₂, 37 KWh/wk,125L H₂O/wk, No offspring
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 273
  • Likes Given: 23170
Cannabis and Hemp
« on: May 25, 2020, 03:55:30 AM »
A general cannabis thread for usage, products, growing, history, stories etc.
I've included hemp because it is a variety of the same plant and has its own special usage, products, growing, history, stories etc.
(If hemp is discussed as technology, other related natural materials such as flax are on-topic)

Link to original topic "Can cannabis save the world?":
   https://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php/topic,3092.msg265470.html#msg265470
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly" - Bertrand Russell
"It is preoccupation with what other people from your groups think of you, that prevents you from living freely and nobly" - Nanning
Why do you keep accumulating stuff?

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2051
  • Likes Given: 1988
Re: Cannabis and Hemp
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2020, 08:06:34 PM »
OK so the two things to consider.

1) How safe is the location. Does not matter when it is tiny but plants can disappear quickly around harvest.

The first student house i lived in was near a coffeeshop. A guy living there had grown a plant the previous year. It was really big at some point. Also in those days nobody locked the garden gate or the house. So the plant grew bigger then the fence and then somebody walked down the street to the coffeeshop and suddenly spotted a better deal and stole it.

Traditional tricks are hiding it in corn but that probably won´t work on a small plot.

I also made this guy a huge fake joint filled with a horrible concoction for sinterklaas (like santa claus but grown ups make crap presents for each other) and he told me it was his present 3rd year running.  8)

Another trick is to hide the plants in the woods but that does not always work either.

2) Because people find them and then they take them. But there is this problem of having to dry the plants. They stink so ideally you do not want to do this at home. Long ago in a universe far away somebody took some branches and dried them at home. Visually you can hide them in a closet but it stinks the place up.

I arrived at this house wondering about the smell and the size of the riot but everybody was ignoring it so i joined in. I have no idea how long the plants were or remained there but the neighbours did drop in a magazine about Blur being high in Amsterdam. What could that mean? Maybe it was an accident by the mail guy but no it was 2 or 3 weeks old so it was no delivery mistake. They could of course have asked the neighbours but they did not.

This always weirded me out because it was so easy to solve. Weed really stinks so you need some shed to dry it. Can´t do it at home especially when sharing a house.
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 602
  • Likes Given: 409
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2020, 09:00:27 PM »
Aren't roof tops relatively secure.

ACU has quite a crop growing above it right now, I hear.
"A force de chercher de bonnes raisons, on en trouve; on les dit; et après on y tient, non pas tant parce qu'elles sont bonnes que pour ne pas se démentir." Choderlos de Laclos "You struggle to come up with some valid reasons, then cling to them, not because they're good, but just to not back down."

KiwiGriff

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 710
  • Likes Given: 379
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2020, 09:58:29 PM »
I used to grow under lights using hydroponics in a  closet.
Four plants gave about 500 grams of dried bud.
Seedling to finished product  in eight weeks.
Cost a little for the power keeps your crop away from human pests.
You can get active carbon air filters that mostly eliminate the smell .
When I was growing it was using HPS lights you can now get LED's that are  cheaper to run have a longer service life, more targeted wavelengths and do not have the same amount of wasted energy as heat you must control .

We have a referendum here in NZ on recreational use in September this year .
Hopefully it passes so I can go back to smoking the herb rather than drinking poison for recreation.
Animals can be driven crazy by placing too many in too small a pen. Homo sapiens is the only animal that voluntarily does this to himself.
Notebooks of Lazarus Long.
Robert Heinlein.

Freegrass

• Young ice
  • Autodidacticism is a complicated word
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 955
  • Likes Given: 1260
Re: Cannabis OR Hemp
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2020, 10:17:30 PM »
It can never be "Cannabis and Hemp", because they are both exactly the same thing.

Why did you close my cannabis thread Kassy? WTF?
Cannabis is not Off Topic! It belongs in Solutions!!!
If you want to grow pot, go here www.growroom420.com.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 10:30:11 PM by Freegrass »
90% of the world is religious, but somehow "love thy neighbour" became "fuck thy neighbours", if they don't agree with your point of view.

WTF happened?

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2020, 10:19:03 PM »
OK so the two things to consider.

1) How safe is the location. Does not matter when it is tiny but plants can disappear quickly around harvest.

The first student house i lived in was near a coffeeshop. A guy living there had grown a plant the previous year. It was really big at some point. Also in those days nobody locked the garden gate or the house. So the plant grew bigger then the fence and then somebody walked down the street to the coffeeshop and suddenly spotted a better deal and stole it.

Traditional tricks are hiding it in corn but that probably won´t work on a small plot.

I also made this guy a huge fake joint filled with a horrible concoction for sinterklaas (like santa claus but grown ups make crap presents for each other) and he told me it was his present 3rd year running.  8)

Another trick is to hide the plants in the woods but that does not always work either.

2) Because people find them and then they take them. But there is this problem of having to dry the plants. They stink so ideally you do not want to do this at home. Long ago in a universe far away somebody took some branches and dried them at home. Visually you can hide them in a closet but it stinks the place up.

I arrived at this house wondering about the smell and the size of the riot but everybody was ignoring it so i joined in. I have no idea how long the plants were or remained there but the neighbours did drop in a magazine about Blur being high in Amsterdam. What could that mean? Maybe it was an accident by the mail guy but no it was 2 or 3 weeks old so it was no delivery mistake. They could of course have asked the neighbours but they did not.

This always weirded me out because it was so easy to solve. Weed really stinks so you need some shed to dry it. Can´t do it at home especially when sharing a house.
So now the ASIF forum is becoming a weed growers forum?
90% of the world is religious, but somehow "love thy neighbour" became "fuck thy neighbours", if they don't agree with your point of view.

WTF happened?

SteveMDFP

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 594
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2020, 10:32:31 PM »

I wouldn't object.  But we already have a gardening thread.  Posts could go there.

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2020, 10:35:33 PM »

I wouldn't object.  But we already have a gardening thread.  Posts could go there.
I created a cannabis thread as a solution to climate change. If you want to make this the weed growers corner, go ahead! I love it!!! But don't close my cannabis thread in solutions! Let's keep getting high and solving the climate crisis separate.

WTF happened?

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2020, 08:12:58 AM »
I think it is good to have a separate off-topic thread to prevent the gardening thread from cluttering.
Cannabis and industrial hemp are no solutions to the climate crisis I think but could be part of a better way of living (natural materials) and thinking/recreating (high/stoned) without many harmful side-effects.

Hemp, or industrial hemp, is a variety of the Cannabis sativa plant species that is grown specifically for the industrial uses of its derived products.[1] It is one of the fastest growing plants[2] and was one of the first plants to be spun into usable fiber 50,000 years ago.[3] It can be refined into a variety of commercial items, including paper, textiles, clothing, biodegradable plastics, paint, insulation, biofuel, food, and animal feed.[4][5]

Although cannabis as a drug and industrial hemp both derive from the species Cannabis sativa and contain the psychoactive component tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), they are distinct strains with unique phytochemical compositions and uses.
(bolding by me)
New strains are C.Indica and C.Ruderalis, and there are many hybrids.

Validation as separate thread.
As I don't have the money for a hydroponic setup and filters, the suggestions and experiences here are much appreciated. I have the impression that many on this forum use recreational cannabis so there is a platform of shared interests. That should be enough to validate this thread. Apart from that, the technological application of hemp/flax/etc can be discussed here and information posted. Freegrass can use this thread to post his knowledge and information.
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly" - Bertrand Russell
"It is preoccupation with what other people from your groups think of you, that prevents you from living freely and nobly" - Nanning

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
Re: Cannabis
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2020, 09:52:52 AM »
I think it is good to have a separate off-topic thread to prevent the gardening thread from cluttering.
Cannabis and industrial hemp are no solutions to the climate crisis I think but could be part of a better way of living (natural materials) and thinking/recreating (high/stoned) without many harmful side-effects.

Hemp, or industrial hemp, is a variety of the Cannabis sativa plant species that is grown specifically for the industrial uses of its derived products.[1] It is one of the fastest growing plants[2] and was one of the first plants to be spun into usable fiber 50,000 years ago.[3] It can be refined into a variety of commercial items, including paper, textiles, clothing, biodegradable plastics, paint, insulation, biofuel, food, and animal feed.[4][5]

Although cannabis as a drug and industrial hemp both derive from the species Cannabis sativa and contain the psychoactive component tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), they are distinct strains with unique phytochemical compositions and uses.
(bolding by me)
New strains are C.Indica and C.Ruderalis, and there are many hybrids.

Validation as separate thread.
As I don't have the money for a hydroponic setup and filters, the suggestions and experiences here are much appreciated. I have the impression that many on this forum use recreational cannabis so there is a platform of shared interests. That should be enough to validate this thread. Apart from that, the technological application of hemp/flax/etc can be discussed here and information posted. Freegrass can use this thread to post his knowledge and information.
Industrial hemp IS Cannabis.
I've been involved in legalization for 30 years. You don't need to teach me anything about cannabis. I just wonder why the thread I started and that had 34 messages had to be closed. Why not just move it? Why create a new thread? What was wrong with the one I made? We don't need another place to talk about smoking weed. We need a place to talk about saving this planet.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 09:59:22 AM by Freegrass »

WTF happened?

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2020, 10:23:23 AM »
To Freegrass, I suggest that it is best if you further write about your unhappiness with this situation, regarding the closed thread, via a PM to moderator kassy or in the Forum Decorum-thread.

I want to ask you if you would please stop with quoting the whole previous discussion when making a post. Here it is just a copy of the post directly above and quoting the whole post doesn't have any positive function.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1159
  • Likes Given: 430
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2020, 03:52:01 PM »
U.S.
Hemp was supposed to boost farmers. It’s turned out to be a flop.
Oversupply and a lack of federal rules led to trouble for the industry.
Hemp has friends in high places, namely Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell [of Kentucky].

But the crop he championed in an attempt to boost ailing agriculture is at a low point.

Farmers and manufacturers who wanted to capitalize on the frenzy around CBD, which comes from hemp, were lured into the industry after Congress passed the 2018 farm bill. It legalized cultivation of the crop, a low-potency sibling of marijuana. Hemp acreage in the U.S. more than tripled from 2018 to 2019. McConnell was a driving force behind legalization.

“It was a mad rush,” said Colorado Agriculture Commissioner Kate Greenberg.

But the boom has quickly turned into a bust.

In recent months, several CBD businesses declared bankruptcy — including GenCanna, a hemp processing facility in Winchester, Ky., that McConnell visited in April of last year.
CBD remains unregulated by the FDA. Consumers are left with conflicting messages about the legality of hemp products while unscrupulous businesses tout CBD as a potential treatment for every illness under the sun, including the coronavirus.

States have written their own jumble of rules to contain the mess. The decline in investor interest in the cannabis sector last year led to financial troubles for businesses focused on expansion over profitability. ...
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/05/25/hemp-farmers-275046
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2020, 08:53:22 AM »
Copied this post by Vox from the Archeology/Paleontology thread as a reminder that the recreational use of cannabis has been in civilisation for a very long time.

New Research Reveals Cannabis and Frankincense at the Judahite Shrine of Biblical Arad
https://phys.org/news/2020-05-reveals-cannabis-frankincense-judahite-shrine.html

Analysis of the material on two Iron Age altars discovered at the entrance to the "holy of holies" of a shrine at Tel Arad in the Beer-sheba Valley, Israel, were found to contain Cannabis and Frankincense, according to new article in the journal, Tel Aviv.

Past excavations revealed two superimposed fortresses, dated to the 9th to early 6th centuries BCE, which guarded the southern border of biblical Judah. Highly important Iron Age finds were unearthed, including a well-preserved shrine that was dated to ca. 750-715 BCE.

Two limestone altars (the smaller altar is 40 cm high and about 20 × 20 cm at the top; the larger is about 50 cm high and 30 × 30 cm at the top) were found lying at the entrance to the "holy of holies" of the shrine.

Evidently, they had played an important role in the cult practices of the shrine. An unidentified black solidified organic material was preserved on the altars' surfaces. Past analysis of these materials failed to identify their content and this dark material was recently submitted to organic residue analysis by modern methods.

The study reveals that on the smaller altar cannabis had been mixed with animal dung to facilitate heating, while the larger altar contained traces of frankincense that was mixed with animal fat to promote evaporation.

These unique findings shed new light on cult practices in biblical Judah, suggesting cannabis was used here as a deliberate psychoactive, to stimulate ecstasy as part of cultic ceremonies.

Lead author Eran Arie from The Israel Museum in Jerusalem commented, "This is the first time that cannabis has been identified in the Ancient Near East; Its use in the shrine must have played a central role in the cultic rituals performed there."

Eran Arie et al, Cannabis and Frankincense at the Judahite Shrine of Arad, Tel Aviv (2020).
http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/03344355.2020.1732046

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2020, 08:53:40 AM »
Last Sunday I have put 3 seeds in separate 10cm square plastic cups after having made the compost-soil quite moist. Then a thin compost layer on top which I sprayed with water till moist. I have not touched the seeds.

The cups have holes in the bottom and that's the way I want to water them, plus a bit of spraying water on top when it has dried out in the sun. Now I am worrying that the capillary action will suck all the water into the soil, making it too wet.

I have put the cups in direct sunlight (behind the window) and shaded their sides. I use no heating in my house and the windows are always open.

Just now I have read that they mustn't be in direct sunlight and I wish that I haven't ruined my expensive 3 seeds already. I don't understand why they can't be in sunlight because the cups have been moist all the time, even after a day of full sunshine. I want to understand the process (why things are done in a certain way) and haven't, which is a bit frustrating.

To be cause,
I had expected some further help from you (I am in no way blaming you for my wrong actions btw) but that has not come about, to my regret. Something must be going wrong as I get no replies from PM and emails, even though you've written that you 'messaged a reply'. Dear be cause, I see that you're still active on the forum. Could you please enlighten me on the problem with our interaction?

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1017
  • Likes Given: 1045
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2020, 11:33:21 AM »
sorry nanning .. my detailed message went awol .. although I would not have mentioned direct sun .. I probably never met anyone who knew nothing about seeds and sowing .. esp with the world at ones fingertips .
  my message also explained that my heart was being awkward again .. rhythm gone to pot .. I'm tryin g to stay alive myself :) .
I usually have 0ne or more pages open on ASIF so I don't always start be seeing that I have new messages .
Please keep seeds moist . They would not know you are watering from the bottom .. nature does it from above .. until tap roots form and source water from depth . and moist is not 'wet' :)

There is no death , the Son of God is We .

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2020, 02:14:05 PM »
Some local dutch site:
https://www.wietkweken.com/hoe-wietzaadjes-ontkiemen/#ontkiemen-in-aarde

Just now I have read that they mustn't be in direct sunlight and I wish that I haven't ruined my expensive 3 seeds already. I don't understand why they can't be in sunlight because the cups have been moist all the time, even after a day of full sunshine. I want to understand the process (why things are done in a certain way) and haven't, which is a bit frustrating.

As you can see on the link they need to be really moist to germinate and direct light probably dries out soil or other mediums to quickly (with the water method it would be ok).

They do say it takes takes 4 - 10 days so just keep it moist.

Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2020, 03:50:00 PM »
Thank you both.
I have already replied to be cause via PM (now I know it works again).

Your additional advice is appreciated kassy, as I am now comfortable with the fact that the surface of the soil of the cups has been moist all the time, even after two days of direct sunlight. I have taken them to a shaded new place.
So my understanding now is, when the surface is kept moist (quite) then eventually the seed will germinate. I may have put them upside down btw, I didn't look.

be cause, my warm thanks for your initial effort. And focus on your talents, your character, your understanding, your capacities. It can make you stronger and perhaps less vulnerable to more heart problems I think.

Edit: added last sentence for clarity
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 04:03:48 PM by nanning »

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2020, 04:15:16 PM »
The title of thread should be "The Weed Smokers Corner", and then I'll tell you all you need to know about growing weed. This is my baby growing in my garden right now. Seed went in the ground on April 20.

WTF happened?

Bruce Steele

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 753
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2020, 02:06:13 AM »
Be cause, I hope you have given up on coffee and alcohol. If there is a plus side to a-tachycardia having an excuse to control some rather difficult habits is about the only one.  Sweet lemon logic.

Has anyone successfully feminized seeds ?  Is it possible to feminize seeds other than cannabis ?
I tried and failed last year . I don’t think you can start with a feminized seed to create a male plant .
I will try this year with a standard open pollinated seed.
Process is to spray colloidal  silver on a young female plant until male stigma forms and then pollinate the now hermaphrodite plant or use the pollen produced  on another female plant.  Advanced gardening technique for sure.  I am trying to think of another plant that feminized seed would advantage.

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2020, 05:00:29 AM »
Thank you for those photo's Freegrass and the dates of the photo's. Now I know better what to expect.

I have some questions for you because I'm a beginner:
Could you please tell me what the minimum/maximum temps are of your garden location? I guess you live at a lower latitude because you have successfully planted it outside in early may.
What kind of cannabis is it? Indica/sativa/hybrid? And how do you call them? WhiteWidow and NorthernLight are familiar names here but I presume that these names may not be an international standard.
Finally, how have you germinated them? In water and tissue paper or in compost-soil or other? I have some seeds left and may try another method for germination.

To all:
Is it important that the seeds are properly orientated in the soil i.e. that the pointy bit is sticking up? It is likely that I have put a seed upside down and am uncertain whether or not it will still germinate. Perhaps dig it up, check orientation and then reposition.

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1047
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2020, 06:14:39 AM »
Re: Perhaps dig it up

I would leave it alone, it's been there for a bit, getting used to things. Dont disturb is my attitude. The seed will right itself if surrounding is nice.

sidd

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2020, 07:55:26 AM »
Thanks sidd. I'll leave them at their position and perhaps dance and whistle a little bit to entice them to come up.

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2020, 07:53:52 AM »
Just now I noticed that 2 seeds have already germinated and grown above ground. I'm elated because I didn't expect it. Maybe my whistling and dancing lured them outside. I recommend whistling and dancing to my fellow gardeners.
The third seed was planted a day later (Sunday) and I think I see something appearing already.

Once the plants have a couple of leaves I will put them in the sun again whilst maintaining a moist soil condition.

Human Habitat Index

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 51
  • Likes Given: 368
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2020, 09:31:01 AM »
There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance. That principle is contempt prior to investigation. - Herbert Spencer

blumenkraft

« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2020, 01:27:01 PM »
No it can't! 🧚‍♀️💞💝💫 The wheelchair doesn't cure the paralyzation...💓🧚‍♀️💗

Edit: The video is worth a watch anyway.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 01:44:31 PM by blumenkraft »

Human Habitat Index

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2020, 01:45:01 PM »
The CB1 Receptor and the Evolution of Humanity, Past, Present and Future

Dr. Robert J. Melamede talks about the "physics of life"
There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance. That principle is contempt prior to investigation. - Herbert Spencer

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2020, 02:44:01 PM »
Congrats. Did you peruse the link i provided above?

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2021, 11:34:17 PM »
Happy 420 y'all!

Here's my baby for this year... It came a little early this year coz I was testing 2 year old seeds that I stored in my fridge... And it was eager to grow! This is only 4 days old!!!  ;D

Should I really kill it and start over with a new seed today? I don't think so... So its an early born this year...

Too bad the people that created this page forgot about this special day...

IT'S 420 Y'ALL!!!
HAPPY 420!!!!

WTF happened?

Human Habitat Index

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2021, 01:50:48 AM »
Jesus was almost certainly a cannabis user and an early proponent of the medicinal properties of the drug, according to a study of scriptural texts published this month. The study suggests that Jesus and his disciples used the drug to carry out miraculous healings.

The anointing oil used by Jesus and his disciples contained an ingredient called kaneh-bosem which has since been identified as cannabis extract, according to an article by Chris Bennett in the drugs magazine, High Times, entitled Was Jesus a Stoner? The incense used by Jesus in ceremonies also contained a cannabis extract, suggests Mr Bennett, who quotes scholars to back his claims.

"There can be little doubt about a role for cannabis in Judaic religion," Carl Ruck, professor of classical mythology at Boston University said.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2003/jan/06/science.religion

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2021, 04:46:46 PM »
Hemp conversion to graphene and diamond. Smart carbon capture?

Hemp has been celebrated and vilified in equal measure over the centuries. It has fantastic properties for textiles and ropes, but it comes from the cannabis plant, so it arouses deep suspicion among some policymakers. What is unarguable though, is that it is an extremely fast growing plant that stores a large amount of carbon. So is it really possible to convert it into graphene and diamond in a sustainable, environmentally friendly way?

Video Transcripts available at our website
http://www.justhaveathink.com

WTF happened?

Human Habitat Index

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2021, 08:45:12 AM »
The Story Behind Why Cannabis Is Illegal
In 1913, Henry Ford opened his famous automobile assembly line to start producing the Model-T. In the 30’s, Ford opened a plant in Michigan where they successfully experimented with biomass fuel conversion, proving that hemp could be used as an alternative to fossil fuels. They extracted methanol, charcoal fuel, tar, pitch ethyl-acetate, and creosote all from hemp. What this meant for Ford was that he could now not only produce their own raw materials to make cars, but he could make the fuel to run them as well. The discovery was horrible news for a man by the name of Andrew Melon, who owned much of the Gulf Oil Corporation; a company who had just recently opened their first drive through gas station.

Andrew Mellon was the Secretary of the Treasury under President Herbert Hoover, and owner of the 6th largest bank at the time, Mellon Bank. His bank was the primary financial support of a petrochemical company by the name of DuPont. DuPont was developing and patenting many different forms of synthetics from fossil fuels including the synthetic rubber, plastic, rayon, and paint that GM used to coat their cars. However, Mellon Bank was most heavily invested in DuPont’s sulfur-based process of turning wood fiber into usable paper.

https://www.medicaljane.com/2013/01/23/exposed-the-full-story-behind-why-marijuana-is-illegal-and-classified-as-a-schedule-1-drug/

The First Cars Ran on Biofuel

Nikolaus August Otto, the German inventor of the combustion engine, conceived his invention to run on ethanol. Rudolf Diesel, the German inventor of the Diesel engine, conceived his invention to run on peanut oil. (55) In a 1912 speech, Rudolf Diesel said "the use of vegetable oils for engine fuels may seem insignificant today, but such oils may become, in the course of time, as important as petroleum and the coal-tar products of the present time." (56) Henry Ford designed the Ford Model T, a car produced between 1903 and 1926, to run on either gasoline or ethanol. (57) Ford was reported to have said; "There is fuel in every bit of vegetable matter that can be fermented. There's enough alcohol in one year's yield of an acre of potatoes to drive the machinery necessary to cultivate the fields for a hundred years." (58)

http://www.herbmuseum.ca/content/part-2-history-hemp-fuels

etienne

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • About energy
  • Liked: 309
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2021, 10:32:10 PM »
I just found my 16 years old haschich storage and have hidden it.
Do you have any recommendations, for example what is a reasonable consumption per week... We are against drugs and would like him to go to zero (before 2050, it is not CO2), but have no idea at which level we have achieved our parental mission.
Also about urine test, does it make sense? Is it a tool that allows you to follow the consumption? My son says it doesn't make sense because tests stay positive during more than a week.
We asked for some counseling, I hope it will help.

etienne

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • About energy
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2021, 10:33:35 PM »
Extra question. Can you just stop the consumption without decreasing curve?

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2021, 12:18:05 AM »
At 16 you are curious so it might just be an experimental thing. It is an annoying age were you are curious about all kind of things but you cannot sample them. You can secretly drink a beer if you manage to get it but you cannot go clubbing.

You know the kid. If he or she is basically ok then it is probably just curiosity.

It might be a good idea to just talk openly about it. What do you think it does? Why are you using it? This is always super awkward with kids in puberty because so much is about boundary testing.. Since urine tests were already discussed it might be a bit late but the question is why you do what you do.

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2021, 12:23:00 AM »
I just found my 16 years old haschich storage and have hidden it.
Do you have any recommendations, for example what is a reasonable consumption per week... We are against drugs and would like him to go to zero (before 2050, it is not CO2), but have no idea at which level we have achieved our parental mission.
Also about urine test, does it make sense? Is it a tool that allows you to follow the consumption? My son says it doesn't make sense because tests stay positive during more than a week.
We asked for some counseling, I hope it will help.
Hi Etienne. First of all, don't panic! Cannabis is much less harmful than alcohol. Alcohol kills braincells, cannabis doesn't do any permanent damage. The young brain grows until the age of 25, and that's why it's not advisable to start drinking from a young age. The debate about cannabis at a young age is very much in debate. If he just uses it in the weekends, and not when he goes to school, I wouldn't worry too much. The biggest harm that cannabis can cause is that your child gets booted out of society. People who use illegal drugs are not accepted in society, and that may cause him to look for other friends that also use illegal drugs. Those are the people that will accept him.

The illegal drug users world is a different side of society, and that's why it's important that you act normal with your child. Sit down with your son, and talk about it, without judging him. Punishing him will only drive him away, into the arms of other drug users that understand him, and accept him. He'll just do it behind your back...

Cannabis can be detected for an average of 4 weeks. It gets stored in body fat. Because I'm very fat, and use a lot, it took almost 4 months before it wasn't detected anymore. So don't test. Just talk with your son. The best thing to do it to let him be open about it, that way it's not this thing anymore that he can use to rebel against his parents and the world...

My suggestion would be to learn everything you can about cannabis. I could ask around to find out what the best books are these days. I could also give you a few documentaries on YouTube, but it seems I only have a few old ones. I'd have to look for some new ones that are better if you like.

Again, don't panic! It's a medicinal plant. We all have natural cannabinoids in our bodies. It's even found in mothers milk. That's why its such a good medicine. A lot of lies have been told about this plant. The horror stories are not true! Although some kids could get into trouble with cannabis. But those cases are rare. So just communicate with your son. Let him smoke a joint if he wants. It's better than alcohol! And he's gonna be so happy when you react in a way he didn't expect. You could even make a deal with him. You hold on to his stash during weekdays, and he gets it back in the weekend. Let him smoke with his friends in the weekend. The biggest problem is that when you have a stash, you smoke it, and then it can become a daily habit, which is not recommendable...

Just be cool about it. Punishing him won't help. It would only drive him away into the arms of people that use too much, and maybe even other stuff...

Hope that helped.

Maybe this video can help you get started on your search into the world of cannabis and the endocannabinoid system. Feel free to ask any questions you have. I'll try to help if I can.
Good luck!

WTF happened?

Bruce Steele

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 753
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2021, 12:34:42 AM »
etienne, You can stop smoking when you want to but usually it is socially consumed for teenagers. So if your friends still are smoking it is available. If you are really pressed and have very limited supply one hit a day is about minimum.
 It seems to me that smoking isn’t very harmful but some people with too much self confidence can test their own limits and try other drugs. Some drugs are far more addictive than weed and can pull people into a very bad place where the drug takes over. So with weed ,or alcohol , or other drugs it is the desire to test the limits that causes problems . Some people never learn they have limits, and drugs have a bad way of exposing hubris. Then it breaks them.
 How to teach a teenager about moderation in what they do and how they act is far more important than trying to impose total abstinence. Some drugs can kill, they should know this already. Don’t try hard core drugs, there is nothing there, there is no knowledge to be gained. Pot doesn’t take you there but you have to realize it is on the road and even pot needs moderation.
 I would ask similar questions to Kassy. Are you just having fun? Or maybe you are looking for something more like enlightenment ? Sometimes even after decades of smoking you still need to ask yourself those questions. I personally never liked inebriates to escape. Escape is a very bad reason but the worst reason is because you think it is harmless and you can control your booze or your drugs without worry from family or anyone else.

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2021, 01:07:57 AM »
My friends dealt with this in different ways. I know two separate families where one or both parents sat down with the teenager and smoked some with him. One family agreed that any cannabis consumption had to be at home until the daughter was legally a major (21). The other made a deal with his son that neither of them would smoke any more until the son was eighteen, a few years out, and then they would revisit the matter.

And then i know one family where the parents tried to hide their own consumption, but their son  found out pretty quick ... but he didnt consume any himself until he was well past twenty one. 

Among my non user friends, the best outcome was usually to ask their children to quit until they were majors, and if that didnt work out, insist that they consume cannabis only at home. One of those parents told me, "Hey, i cant protect em on the street. If they gonna use it, Id rather it happen in the house."

If the parents will not bend and the kids really want to, they will find stratagems like odourless vape pens. And in my experience insisting on regular testing often leads to bad consequences. For example, a switch from cannabis to drugs which exit the system much faster. I personally know two US armed forces members, both officers, who completely quit cannabis in the 80s and went on the LSD and cocaine route, when nancy and ron reagan instituted regular mandatory drug testing for the armed services)

sidd

etienne

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • About energy
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2021, 06:22:48 AM »
Thank you very much for the Infos.

One of the issues with smoking at home is the social aspect. We don't want him to smoke here with other friends which parents don't know they smoke, and I don't believe that the other friends would ask their parents to tell us that it is ok that their son also smokes.

Cooperation with the other parents is very difficult because most people are just so happy to believe the lies of their kids. When you don't know, you sleep better.

During the summer, consumption was too high.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2021, 07:40:11 AM by etienne »

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2021, 08:35:13 AM »
 Etienne, is it legal where you live ? That makes a huge difference.

sidd

etienne

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • About energy
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2021, 10:00:12 AM »
It is not legal, but normal consumption is not punished more  than speeding or drunk driving on the road, depends how much you are found with.

Added: don't know if haschich has an impact on the mood, but the day after, he is unbearable.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2021, 01:50:30 PM by etienne »

johnm33

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 130
  • Likes Given: 127
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2021, 02:27:27 PM »
Boys brains are rewired into mens brains during puberty [that's why they're [we all were?] so stupid], cannabis inhibits/alters that process, nothing wrong with a childish female brain if that's a concious choice. There are other physiological effects too but they can be avoided by special hiit exercise routines designed to boost testosterone production, which will probably keep the brains natural evolution on track too but I've seen no test of that. But whilst I think any 'decent' adult should be free to use any recreational dug they choose, mines alcohol, I think it's best not to begin there use until you're fully developed, say two years after you've finished growing.

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2022, 02:04:21 PM »
I'm in my 43rd year smoking cannabis . Now at 62 I understand why she has been my friend all these years . I have had undiagnosed Asperger's syndrome . I had no idea until I watched naturalist Chris Packham discuss it's effects on his life and though different in circumstances , I realized I was seeing someone more like me than I ever had before . It is strange to find that a syndrome has caused my unusual life . 

SteveMDFP

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 594
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2022, 02:38:12 PM »
I'm in my 43rd year smoking cannabis . Now at 62 I understand why she has been my friend all these years . I have had undiagnosed Asperger's syndrome . I had no idea until I watched naturalist Chris Packham discuss it's effects on his life and though different in circumstances , I realized I was seeing someone more like me than I ever had before . It is strange to find that a syndrome has caused my unusual life .

I know a quite a number of older people who use cannabis to aid a range of symptoms.  I've come across reports of benefit for Parkinson's disease symptoms.  I fully support medical use, and full decriminalization.

And yes, with later maturity, I've realized I fit into a couple of diagnostic categories that I hadn't appreciated during my youth.  Oh, to know then what I know now!!

KiwiGriff

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 710
  • Likes Given: 379
« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2022, 08:42:49 AM »
I have had undiagnosed Asperger's syndrome .
LOL
Aspies are almost the norm on here .

You have to be careful about correlation and causation when you examine statistics around the effects of cannabis.
Many self medicate.
Autism spectrum, Bipolar, ADHD,  Depression and other Syndromes.
This propensity to self medicate heavily skews any cohort study towards negative outcomes for cannabis use. Unless this propensity to self medicate is carefully controlled for any study on the effects of cannabis use on long term outcomes is meaningless

I went though my teens in the 1970's, Asperger's was not a thing.
Finding out more about what it is helped me to grok  why I am who I am and gave me peace and understanding about my place in the world.
With that understanding, The desire to self medicate has become less consuming.
I find I enjoy a smoke more when it's not medication but recreation .
It gets my synapses firing and allows my creative urges free rain when the urge for smoking pot  is no longer  towards the point of oblivion for shite I have no control over.

Animals can be driven crazy by placing too many in too small a pen. Homo sapiens is the only animal that voluntarily does this to himself.
Notebooks of Lazarus Long.
Robert Heinlein.

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3589
  • Likes Given: 3940
« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2022, 10:55:24 AM »
I'm surely somewhere on the lite Aspie spectrum, though have never had the urge for Cannabis.

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2022, 12:41:27 AM »
Bricks Of Weed! The House Of The Future Could Be Made Of Hemp

Hemp has long had more uses than getting high. The plant is now increasingly being used in the construction of houses, with huge benefits for the climate. The only issue is growing enough to meet surging demand.

https://worldcrunch.com/green/sustainable-construction-hemp-house-material

WTF happened?

Ranman99

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 26
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2022, 04:03:50 AM »
He huffed, and he puffed, and he ... er .... what was it I wanted again there, little piggy?  8) :-*
😎

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2022, 07:22:58 AM »
Wasnt there a cheech and chong movie about similar ... a microbus made of weed ...?

sidd

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2022, 10:25:06 AM »
meanwhile in Ireland we've been making hempcrete for near 20 years .

El Cid

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 924
  • Likes Given: 227
« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2022, 11:09:30 AM »
Hempcrete's been around for a while. I do not know while it is not spreading faster if it's so good though