Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Hemp and other planet-saving plants  (Read 3248 times)

Freegrass

• Young ice
  • Autodidacticism is a complicated word
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 962
  • Likes Given: 1264
Hemp and other planet-saving plants
« on: May 26, 2020, 10:31:18 AM »
This is where it belongs. Cannabis is a solution.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 10:46:11 AM by Neven »
90% of the world is religious, but somehow "love thy neighbour" became "fuck thy neighbours", if they don't agree with your point of view.

WTF happened?

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2053
  • Likes Given: 1991
Re: Cannabis
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2020, 04:44:22 PM »
For AGW? How? You forgot the data. Or maybe you can´t find it because it does not exist?

Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2020, 05:43:03 PM »
Lime Hemp Concrete (LHC)

That´s better. Actually building using less CO2 is one of the biggest challenges (traffic being the ´easy´one) so this is a good idea if this works.

PS: The renaming suggestion for the former thread should still work here. You should be able to edit the title via editing the first post iirc. Any maybe edit post one because to most people it is hard to understand.
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1337
  • Likes Given: 618
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2020, 06:09:40 PM »
The renaming suggestion for the former thread should still work here. You should be able to edit the title via editing the first post iirc. Any maybe edit post one because to most people it is hard to understand.

How about 'Hemp and other planet-saving plants'?

Hemp is pretty awesome, BTW.
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2020, 06:32:21 PM »
The plant is also known as hemp, although this term is often used to refer only to varieties of Cannabis cultivated for non-drug use.

And these are the varieties we would use to combat AGW and thus it would be proper to at least add hemp to the thread title.

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2020, 06:52:02 PM »
If you don't mind I would also like to talk about medicinal cannabis, cannabis oils, and so much more.

While useful these in no way shape or form influence AGW so they should be discussed in the thread in The Rest.

El Cid

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 925
  • Likes Given: 227
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2020, 07:19:21 PM »
Here is How Hemp can Keep Climate Change at Bay

Table of Contents (click for article)
1 Hemp Reduces Pesticide Pollution
2 Hemp Can Make the Soil Fertile Again
3 Hemp is Used for Producing Biodegradable Plastic
4 Hemp Absorbs Lethal Metals
5 Say Yes to Biofuel from Hemp
6 Hemp Cuts Down on Carbon Emission Impact
7 Hemp Reduces Deforestation

1. Many other plants also do
2. Many other plants also do
3. Any plant material with lots of fiber is also good for that
4. Many other plants also do
5. Many other plants can also be used for biofuel
6-7 Same

There is nothing special about hemp, it is a nice plant, with many uses, but we could use plenty of species for the above tasks, for example stinging nettle is just as good for all the above "duties". I also drink nettle tea but I guess smoking weed sounds much cooler than drinking nettle tea. Other than that I see no reason to put hemp on the pedestal.

Bioremediation of the soil and the atmosphere by plants is the right title for this thread but it sound much more boring, ain't it?

SteveMDFP

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 594
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2020, 09:32:43 PM »
Lime Hemp Concrete (LHC) or Hemp Concrete is a carbon negative building material that uses Hemp and Lime. This research was focused on quantifying the already established carbon sequestration capability of LHC. An LHC test cube was manufactured, CHN Elemental analysis of hemp and XRD analysis of binder was conducted to determine the quantity of carbon sequestration. Carbon sequestration potential of 470.3 kg of CO2 per m3 of LHC was predicted using stoichiometry. At the age of 28 days, it was found that the cube had achieved a carbon sequestration of 307.26 kg of CO2 per m3 of LHC.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/320058537_Assessment_of_Carbon_Sequestration_of_Hemp_Concrete

This may be much ado about nothing.  The analysis avoids the fact that the lime used here comes from limestone, from which the CO2 has been cooked off.  Hardly carbon neutral.  Furthermore, the mechanical properties of this material are useless:  "The mechanical strength of the LHC cube manufactured for the current study was negligible, indicating a need for developmental research in this particular parameter. "

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2020, 12:09:14 AM »
The renaming suggestion for the former thread should still work here. You should be able to edit the title via editing the first post iirc. Any maybe edit post one because to most people it is hard to understand.

How about 'Hemp and other planet-saving plants'?

Call me arrogant, but I still think my title is the best one, so I changed it to that.  ;D

The Cannabis thread in the The Rest board can serve for anything that is not about cannabis/hemp being a solution for AGW, either through construction or agriculture/agroforestry.

It's an important subject. It deserves two threads.
The enemy is within

E. Smith

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
Re: Hemp and other planet-saving plants
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2020, 12:32:45 AM »
1. Many other plants also do
2. Many other plants also do
3. Any plant material with lots of fiber is also good for that
4. Many other plants also do
5. Many other plants can also be used for biofuel
6-7 Same

There is nothing special about hemp, it is a nice plant, with many uses, but we could use plenty of species for the above tasks, for example stinging nettle is just as good for all the above "duties".

So, what else is there? As said, stinging nettle is also famous for its versatility. Here's a list of energy woods and plants: Energiepflanzen. I bought 120 Miscanthus Giganteus roots there to plant on our plot to use as mulch or for the duck house.
The enemy is within

E. Smith

nanning

• Nilas ice
  • 0Kg CO₂, 37 KWh/wk,125L H₂O/wk, No offspring
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 273
  • Likes Given: 23170
Re: Cannabis and other planet-saving plants
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2020, 08:03:55 AM »
Should I have posted this in the Forum Decorum thread?

There are now two threads with overlapping title and context. Very ambiguous and undesirable imo.
I think one of the two threads should be closed, or, the title and context should note a clear distinction.

Suggestion:
  • One thread called "industrial hemp" or "industrial cannabis" where also other natural materials can be discussed, and without the 'save the world' thingy
  • One thread for the recreational (THC) and medical (CBD) applications of cannabis, called 'Cannabis; THC, CBD and cultivation"
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly" - Bertrand Russell
"It is preoccupation with what other people from your groups think of you, that prevents you from living freely and nobly" - Nanning
Why do you keep accumulating stuff?

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2020, 08:35:59 AM »
It´s easy:

One thread for the recreational (THC) and medical (CBD) applications of cannabis, called 'Cannabis; THC, CBD and cultivation"

Those applications don´t do anything to combat AGW so they go into the thread in The Rest below.

Industrial uses can be discussed here.

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2020, 10:09:56 AM »
The ambiguity of the thread titles has not been solved by that remark kassy.

The thread that I suggested to change to a "Cannabis; THC, CBD and cultivation"-title is already in "The Rest".

When I visit the ASIF, I go to "Recent Posts" and I don't want to find two almost the same thread-titles for such a small sub-subject.
I feel that my interests are being drowned by Freegrass' overzealousness and ambiguous use of the word 'cannabis'. Clarity and unequivocalness should be important.

Please kassy, at least change the thread titles so that they don't both read "Cannabis".
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly" - Bertrand Russell
"It is preoccupation with what other people from your groups think of you, that prevents you from living freely and nobly" - Nanning

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2020, 10:47:18 AM »
When I visit the ASIF, I go to "Recent Posts" and I don't want to find two almost the same thread-titles for such a small sub-subject.

Please kassy, at least change the thread titles so that they don't both read "Cannabis".

Agreed, I've changed it back to 'Hemp and other planet-saving plants'.
The enemy is within

E. Smith

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2020, 10:52:28 AM »
Short anecdote: Now that I can't get rid of my late father's fashion shops (selling isn't an option due to the COVID-19 scare, and I'm not putting 10 people on the street), I'm trying to transition our inventory to more sustainable, 'slow' fashion. The first thing we sold this week were trousers made of hemp.  :)

But other materials include organic cotton, tencel (made from eucalyptus trees), modal (made from beech trees), viscose (made from bamboo), wool, etc. Here's one of the brands were selling: Thought.

The fashion industry is a huge stress on the environment and climate, so switching to more sustainable materials is a small step in the right direction.
The enemy is within

E. Smith

Henry

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2020, 11:14:05 AM »
Do you sell your products online? I live in NZ. I’m waiting for my first pair of Allbirds running shoes. Wool or tree based uppers and plant based soles. The walking shoes are nice and are incredibly comfortable. Quite costly. Virtually all sold online at least in NZ.
Maybe another thing for your outlets to try?!

Best of luck.
Henry

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1017
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2020, 01:13:35 PM »
Indeed Nev en .. are your goods online ? You have a good here to do a little promotion .. :) .. b.c.
There is no death , the Son of God is We .

Freegrass

• Young ice
  • Autodidacticism is a complicated word
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 962
  • Likes Given: 1264
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2020, 01:30:05 PM »
When people here want to reduce the cannabis plant to a drug that belongs in "The Rest", that's their choice... I can't be a part of that. Cannabis is the latin name for a plant that belongs in solution. Not in the hide it because people are uneasy with that name section among the potheads...

Fight the stigma!
Don't reinforce it...
90% of the world is religious, but somehow "love thy neighbour" became "fuck thy neighbours", if they don't agree with your point of view.

WTF happened?

El Cid

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 925
  • Likes Given: 227
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2020, 04:46:19 PM »
Couple of things:

1) Hempcrete. This could be made of many other fibrous materials. Fiber+water+lime creates good building blocks. Mind you, these have no structurual stability so they are used within a wooden frame structure. But it is cheap, environmentally friendly (the lime absorbs as much Co2 as was emitted during its burning!) and a great insulator and also has no fire hazard. I built a wall out of fall leaves with lime and water ("leafcrete"), it is similar to hempcrete...
2) Plants to save the planet:
Regenerational agriculture uses all kinds of plants to put carbon into the soil thereby increasing fertility and helping fight climate change.

Bruce Steele

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 760
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2020, 05:06:03 PM »
Neven,  I don’t see clothing or textiles in terms of percent carbon footprint in discussions. I have to admit I have no idea without looking for an answer . We all know transportation , food and
housing / heating are large players but somehow I think textiles are overlooked. Cotton is an important crop here in California but it is very water intense and around here water requires energy. Cotton grows in alkaline soils but irrigation and evaporation result in more soil alkalinity. I love cotton and really can’t wear synthetics except as outerwear but what are the energy comparisons between synthetics and nature fibers? 
 Any info is appreciated Because frankly I don’t know squat.

blumenkraft

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2020, 05:35:48 PM »
Interesting question, Bruce.

Found this, don't know how reliable it is.

KG of CO2 emissions per ton of spun fiber:
                          crop cultivation
                                             fiber production
                                                                     TOTAL
polyester USA                   0.00               9.52              9.52
cotton, conventional, USA       4.20               1.70              5.90
hemp, conventional              1.92               2.15              4.05
cotton, organic, India          2.00               1.80              3.80
cotton, organic, USA            0.90               1.45              2.35

Link >> https://oecotextiles.wordpress.com/2011/01/19/estimating-the-carbon-footprint-of-a-fabric/

The maintaining of clothing is also a factor BTW. More CO2 and water will be used during the lifetime of a piece of clothing then for production.

johnm33

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2020, 06:25:24 PM »
Lime mortars/concretes can be made much stronger using pozzolans, docks built using hydraulic lime from the roman period still exist, not to forget the dome of the Pantheon.
https://www.aboutcivil.org/sources-of-pozzolanic-materials.html
https://www.mikewye.co.uk/ , builders supplies really but a mine of information on lime.
and a bit deeper https://www.geopolymer.org/applications/

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2020, 04:03:53 AM »
Bruce, have you considered cultivating flax/linseed?
Its fibers can be made into clothes/textiles and building materials such as canvas and linoleum. It is not as water-intensive as cotton.
It is cultivated in the cooler regions of the world and I don't know if your U.S.A. Californian climate is suitable.

I want to experiment with it (next year). First I am interested in how to make it into fibers. Not so long ago there was a flax-factory close to where I live so I have an opportunity to learn from (old) people who worked in that factory.
I love linen as a textile material. And am especially interested in making canvas, if that's possible without a weaving machine. Not for building a house, but for building a removable tent, canoe, sails etc.
I have read on wikipedia that canvas used to be made from hemp.

Flax/linseed oil is edible.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2020, 12:47:39 PM »
I'm not selling anything online. This is my father's stuff that I need to take care of the best way I can (preferably by selling the business to someone who will continue it, without firing all employees).

Bruce, here's some info I gleaned from Thought's sustainability document:
The enemy is within

E. Smith