Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: George Floyd murder and blowback  (Read 40663 times)

Bruce Steele

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 744
  • Likes Given: 40
Re: George Floyd murder and blowback
« Reply #100 on: June 02, 2020, 12:27:39 AM »
It is obvious that there are groups of people starting fires and inciting violence. I suppose both right wing as well as left wing provocateurs. I don’t know how to tell the difference . I think it depends on which city we are talking about as to the makeup of the violent protestors.
For what it’s worth there are very few shootings being reported for riots spread all across the country.
During the 1992 LA riots , for example , there were people shooting at both police and firefighters attempting to controls the fires... and police shooting back.

If there are false flag arson attacks it is beyond the capacity of MSM to imagine the possibility that right wing thugs are impersonating Antifa . That the current government may be complicit in painting Antifa as a terror suspects so they can crank up the internal spying infrastructure and therefore might have a motive is conspiracy theory territory. But it is within the realm of possibility.

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3510
  • Likes Given: 745
« Reply #101 on: June 02, 2020, 12:38:16 AM »
Collateral Damage: One Dead In Louisville After Police and National Guard 'Return Fire' On Crowd
https://amp.courier-journal.com/amp/5308229002

A man was shot dead in Louisville after police officers and the Kentucky National Guard “returned fire” while clearing a large crowd early Monday.

Shell casings from Police and NG weapons fire

Louisville Metro Police Chief Steve Conrad said in a statement that at around 12:15 a.m. his officers and the national guard were sent to a parking lot to break up a crowd.

“Officers and soldiers began to clear the lot and at some point were shot at,” Conrad said in a statement. “Both LMPD and national guard members returned fire, we have one man dead at scene”

David McAtee, who turned his talent for food into a popular West End eatery, was shot and killed by law enforcement officers early Monday morning.

McAtee, 53, operated a barbecue business at one of the West End's most popular corners, especially on the weekends.

McAtee's barbecue business is next to the Dino's Food Mart parking lot where the shooting took place around 12:15 a.m. Monday.

“I’ve been doing this for about 30 years, but I’ve been here for two," he told West of Ninth, a photo blog by Walt and Marshae Smith, in a February interview. "This location is the one of the busiest locations in west Louisville. I always wanted to be in this spot, and when the opportunity came, I took it."

McAtee said he hoped to one day buy the lot at 26th and Broadway, and build a brick-and-mortar restaurant.

"I gotta start somewhere, and this is where I’m going to start," he said in February. "It might take another year or two to get to where I’m going, but I’m going to get there."

Those who spoke with The Courier Journal said they knew the chef as someone who would cook at several community events across the area's nine neighborhoods.

"He was one of the ones who would donate all his time and all his food; everybody could just come up and take it and he wouldn't charge because it was for the neighborhood."
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― anonymous

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 602
  • Likes Given: 409
« Reply #102 on: June 02, 2020, 12:56:29 AM »
Yes, bruce, in a situation made up of tens of thousands of people or more, there are going to be many varieties of folks.

But let's not resort to false equivalences.

There are orders of magnitude more folks on the extreme right ready to take things to violent levels (encouraged, for pete's sake, by the president himself) than there are on 'the left' to the extent that such a thing even exists in the US in a form recognizable to the rest of the world.

Seeing them cruising by my house long after curfew, people very unlike any that live anywhere near my neighborhood, I definitely would say all the folks I see planning and enacting violence in the neighborhood are white supremacists or some variety thereof...

“Like it’s been reported, I feel like it’s a lot of outsiders coming in,” said Dan Prentice.

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2020/06/01/several-north-mpls-businesses-destroyed-by-fire-overnight-arson-suspected/

He's not alone. No one recognizes these mother fuckers as being from Minneapolis. (Sorry, again, nanning, but really, what emotions would you be feeling if this were happening right this moment and for the last few days to you and your loved ones and neighbors and beloved places...?)

Some where mullets. I've lived in Mpls for 20 years (and another 10 when I was younger), and never saw anyone sporting a mullet.

White leftists do not come in from out of town to burn down black businesses in black neighborhoods unless their 'leftishness' is so twisted as to be unrecognizable as such.

This is the terror we all live under now every day. Some asshat is gonna throw a bomb on our house or a local business and literally we will be burned to death in our beds.

Few in Mpls have gotten more than a few hours of sleep in the last 36 hours or more. I'm gonna try to steal some winks now.

And may I point out that, since there really is no organization 'Antifa'--literally after all just an abbreviation of 'anti-fascists'--making them illegal is literally say making it against the law to be against fascism.

Let that sink in for a while...
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 01:09:30 AM by wili »
"A force de chercher de bonnes raisons, on en trouve; on les dit; et après on y tient, non pas tant parce qu'elles sont bonnes que pour ne pas se démentir." Choderlos de Laclos "You struggle to come up with some valid reasons, then cling to them, not because they're good, but just to not back down."

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 02, 2020, 01:39:52 AM »
Sad day to be an American ...

Trump Threatens Military Deployment to Protests
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/live/2020/jun/01/george-floyd-protests-donald-trump-white-house-washington-police-brutality-minneapolis-latest-news-updates

The president has threatened to send in military if governors don’t act. He said he also encouraged governors to bring in the National Guard, which many states have already done.

... I have strongly recommended to every governor to deploy the National Guard in sufficient numbers that we dominate the streets. Mayors and governors must establish an overwhelming law enforcement presence until the violence has been quelled. If a city or state refuses to take the actions that are necessary to defend the life and property of their residents, then I will deploy the United States military and quickly solve the problem for them.

In a startling scene, police are using teargas to disperse crowds of protesters near the White House while Trump is speaking in the Rose Garden.
https://mobile.twitter.com/michael_galant/status/1267587680956813312

It appears that police teargassed protesters at a Washington DC church, before the city’s curfew went into effect, in an effort to clear the area for the president’s photo op tied to his threat to deploy the military on his own citizens.
https://mobile.twitter.com/EliStokols/status/1267592939527712773

Protesters were moved away from the St. John’s church where President Trump is now standing, holding up a bible. On the yellow walls of the church, protesters have spray painted “No justice, no peace” and “God is watching.”
https://mobile.twitter.com/Marissa_Jae/status/1267595257467883520

David Rothkopf: "Trump is mobilizing the military against the citizens of the United States.

That's it. That's where we are. Weep for your country. Despair for its future. Revile these dangerous, corrupt and hateful leaders.

The president is orchestrating police brutality against peaceful protestors as the opening act to his Rose Garden remarks. This is calculated and as cynical and ugly as anything we have ever seen from an American leader."

https://mobile.twitter.com/djrothkopf/status/1267590041834082305

Trump’s extraordinary remarks have sparked widespread concern, with some noting that he is threatening to deploy the US military against citizens of this country. His speech took place as police were simultaneously teargassing protesters outside the White House. In his remarks, Trump also said the 7pm curfew in DC would be “strictly enforced”. The teargassing began prior.

“Open your eyes, America. Open your eyes! We are teetering on a dictatorship.”
https://mobile.twitter.com/keithboykin/status/1267594123411890177

... and from the republicans ...

“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― anonymous

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late

SteveMDFP

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 583
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #104 on: June 02, 2020, 02:08:40 AM »
Yes, bruce, in a situation made up of tens of thousands of people or more, there are going to be many varieties of folks.

But let's not resort to false equivalences.

There are orders of magnitude more folks on the extreme right ready to take things to violent levels (encouraged, for pete's sake, by the president himself) than there are on 'the left' to the extent that such a thing even exists in the US in a form recognizable to the rest of the world. ...

i'm inclined to agree.  One of the more egregious accounts i've read of lawlessness:

Galesburg Man Charged With Inciting Riots in Chicago, Minneapolis
https://www.peoriapublicradio.org/post/galesburg-man-charged-inciting-riots-chicago-minneapolis

"[Robert Lee] Rupert posted Facebook videos which allegedly showed him handing out explosives in Minneapolis, encouraging people to throw them at police, lighting a building on fire, and looting and damaging property.

Rupert then headed to Chicago on May 30. In videos posted to social media, Rupert reportedly said “let’s start a riot” and “I’m going to start doing some damage.”"

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: June 02, 2020, 02:22:44 AM »
22:30 GMT - (6: 30 PM Local) Police use flash bangs against peaceful protesters outside the White House
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/06/george-floyd-america-pain-weekend-rallies-grip-live-200601132229392.html

Police appeared to fire a series of flash bangs, as well as tear gas to disperse peaceful protesters outside the White House. The curfew in Washington, DC, has not yet gone into effect.

Video: https://mobile.twitter.com/benyc/status/1267592904081629185

--------------------------------

Earlier on Monday, Trump told governors he wanted them to "dominate" protesters, urging the use of more aggressive tactics.

17:20 GMT - US to send federal assets to help quell protests

The White House on Monday said additional federal assets will soon be deployed to respond to protests across the country over the death of a black man, George Floyd, while in police custody.

-----------------------------------

Trump, GOP Allies Reach For Military Response To Domestic Protests
https://www.defenseone.com/threats/2020/06/trump-and-allies-reach-military-response-domestic-protests/165819/

In startling language, Defense Secretary Mark Esper referred to American streets as “the battlespace.”

As police began firing tear gas on protesters gathering outside the White House on Monday evening, President Donald Trump said he had ordered “thousands and thousands of heavily armed soldiers, military personnel, and law enforcement officers” to quell civil unrest in Washington, D.C., and threatened to deploy troops in states that “refuse” to do so in their own cities.

“I am your president of law and order and an ally of all peaceful protesters,” Trump said during brief remarks in the Rose Garden. “I have strongly recommended to every governor to deploy the National Guard in sufficient numbers that we dominate the streets.

“If a city or state refuses to take the actions that are necessary to defend the life and property of their residents, then I will deploy the United States military and quickly solve the problem for them.”

The president does not have the legal authority to deploy active duty troops to conduct law enforcement without invoking the 1807 Insurrection Act — which he did not do on Monday — and state governors quickly fired back on the announcement.

“I reject the notion that the federal government can send troops into the state of Illinois,” Illinois Gov. Jay Pritzker, a Democrat, said on CNN. “His rhetoric is inflaming passions around the nation. He should be calling for calm. He should be calling for bringing the temperature down. He’s doing the exact opposite.”

“A posture of a force on the ground is unsustainable militarily, it’s unsustainable socially because it’s the antithesis of how we live,” Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz told reporters after the call with Trump.

Trump has ordered an active-duty battalion of military police officers from Fort Bragg, N.C., to Washington, D.C., “in standby capacity,” according to reporting from Military Times and others.
https://www.military.com/daily-news/2020/06/01/pentagon-orders-active-duty-military-police-unit-dc-region-amid-protests.html

Trump endorsed a call from Sen. Tom Cotton, R-Ark., to deploy the 101st Airborne and other famed military units to “face off” with Antifa, a far-left anarchist movement that the president has sought to blame for the violent unrest, tweeting “100% correct!” Cotton called for the group to be given “no quarter” — a military term that means that captured members of a foreign force will be killed. Rep. Matt Gaetz, R-Fla., suggested that U.S. forces should “hunt [Antifa] down like we do [terrorists] in the Middle East.” Defense Secretary Mark Esper called for authorities to “dominate the battlespace,” a reference to U.S. streets where the protests and riots are taking place.

“I think the sooner that you mass and dominate the battlespace, the quicker this dissipates and we can get back to the right normal,” Esper said during a White House call with state governors that preceded Trump’s Rose Garden appearance.

And in a vague proclamation during the White House call, Trump said that he had put Joint Chiefs Chairman Gen. Mark Milley “in charge” of managing the racial unrest sweeping the country. At a briefing later in the day, Press Secretary Kayleigh McEnany declined to offer any details about Milley’s role or explain why a military official would be placed in charge of a domestic law enforcement issue. Pentagon officials have not commented or offered further explanation of Milley’s potential role.

“The ‘battle space’ of America???” tweeted Tony Thomas, who commanded U.S. Special Operations Command during the Trump administration before retiring as a four-star. “Not what America needs to hear…ever, unless we are invaded by an adversary or experience a constitutional failure…ie a Civil War…”
https://mobile.twitter.com/wesleysmorgan/status/1267564864056233985?s=20

Some Democratic lawmakers have called for new restrictions on a program that provides surplus military equipment to local police departments. Obama put a halt to the so-called 1033 program in 2015 after images of heavily armed police responding to protests in Ferguson, Mo., shocked the nation; Trump reversed the ban upon taking office in 2017.

'Domestic Terrorist Actors’ Could Exploit Floyd Protests, DHS Memo Warns
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/06/01/dhs-domestic-terrorists-protest-294342

Anarchist and militia extremists could try to exploit the recent nationwide protests spurred by the death of George Floyd, the Department of Homeland Security warned in an intelligence note sent to law enforcement officials around the country.

The memo, dated May 29 and marked unclassified/law enforcement sensitive, cites “previous incidents of domestic terrorists exploiting First Amendment-protected events” as one reason for DHS’ concern of additional targeted violence by “domestic terrorist actors.”

It also reveals, citing the FBI, that on May 27, two days after Floyd’s death, “a white supremacist extremist Telegram channel incited followers to engage in violence and start the ‘boogaloo ’— a term used by some violent extremists to refer to the start of a second Civil War — by shooting in a crowd.” One Telegram message encouraged potential shooters to “frame the crowd around you” for the violence, the document said.

The DHS intelligence note is at least the fifth the department has sent out to law enforcement officials in the last two months warning of the mobilization of domestic terrorists and violent extremists in the context of a national crisis.

------------------------

On May 1, amid a spate of protests against coronavirus restrictions in cities across the country, Trump praised armed protesters who stormed the Michigan state capitol building.

Those protesters, Trump said, “are very good people, but they are angry. They want their lives back again, safely!”

« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 02:35:01 AM by vox_mundi »

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 02, 2020, 02:45:30 AM »
DW reporter Stefan Simons was shot at by police on Sunday, marking the second night in a row that law enforcement had deliberately targeted DW crew members with projectiles.

Simons, who was wearing a press jacket during both incidents, had identified himself as a journalist. Authorities also threatened to arrest him on Saturday.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1267119897806397442

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #107 on: June 02, 2020, 03:11:33 AM »
My guardian was a police officer and is a dyed in the wool Republican.
He said those police officers should be charged with Murder.

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 02, 2020, 06:42:57 AM »
Thanks for those perspectives, steve, vox, and tom.

Quiet, during another night of reduced curfew (10 - 4, rather than 8 - 6), punctuated by distant shots, helicopters, convoys of military vehicles rushing by...

I can't smell any fires yet at this point tonight. Spent much of the evening checking my and my neighbors yards for incendiary devices, and cutting back my lilies and other foliage so I can find any such more easily.
"A force de chercher de bonnes raisons, on en trouve; on les dit; et après on y tient, non pas tant parce qu'elles sont bonnes que pour ne pas se démentir." Choderlos de Laclos "You struggle to come up with some valid reasons, then cling to them, not because they're good, but just to not back down."

nanning

• Nilas ice
  • 0Kg CO₂, 37 KWh/wk,125L H₂O/wk, No offspring
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 273
  • Likes Given: 23170
« Reply #109 on: June 02, 2020, 07:03:22 AM »
wili thanks for the updates. I wish it will not further escalate.
Please keep us informed. And my compliments for your high morality response to alex' remarks while being in the situation you're in!

It would be great to have some police officers joining the protesters as in other cities. I guess that there are many white supremacists among the militarized police and the POTUS/White house is on their side. Trump has a lot to answer for.

Reading about you helping out others (food etc) in these trying times has put a smile on my face. You are a beautiful human imo, standing up for and helping the vulnerable. These acts of support is a beautiful mirror to the acts of violence and racism/bigotry/hate.
It would be wise I think to have emergency evacuation stuff in a backpack ready to go for when the dung hits the ventilator.

Please don't be an unarmed hero in a cross-fire. Mask up, stay with us and the people that depend on you. If you can. A big virtual hug from me if it means anything. I wish I could help.

About swearwords/obscenity, as I've written before, I am not personally offended. It is about the professional 'image' to the international outside; the non-member readers of this forum. It is about upholding standards for an international group of gentle, kind, forgiving, understanding, respecting, empathic, professional, scientificly oriented, honest and decent people (us).
Swearing in your situation is something completely different from swearing about e.g. a weather forecast. I completely understand your anger and anxiety and there is never a need to apologise to me. One could apologise to readers & members of the forum but not in this/your situation imo.
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly" - Bertrand Russell
"It is preoccupation with what other people from your groups think of you, that prevents you from living freely and nobly" - Nanning
Why do you keep accumulating stuff?

Alexander555

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 185
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #110 on: June 02, 2020, 09:14:59 AM »
The first thing they should outlaw is printing money. And than they have no time to riot, because they will have to go work or produce food. And it's that money printing that is killing our climate.

blumenkraft

« Reply #111 on: June 02, 2020, 09:32:12 AM »
It also reveals, citing the FBI, that on May 27, two days after Floyd’s death, “a white supremacist extremist Telegram channel incited followers to engage in violence and start the ‘boogaloo ’— a term used by some violent extremists to refer to the start of a second Civil War — by shooting in a crowd.” One Telegram message encouraged potential shooters to “frame the crowd around you” for the violence, the document said.

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 02, 2020, 09:43:50 AM »
Military Police and Army Helicopters are Deployed in Washington.
https://twitter.com/_/status/1267637911865999362

An Army Black Hawk helicopter descended to rooftop level in the Chinatown district of Washington on Monday night, kicking up dirt, debris and snapping trees that narrowly missed several people.

The military also used Lakota helicopters to perform the maneuver, known as show of force, which is often conducted by low-flying jets in combat zones to scare away insurgents. The crowd quickly dispersed into surrounding blocks. Minutes later, the Black Hawk returned for another pass.

The nation’s capital, roiled by protest, is the one jurisdiction where the Army can deploy without needing approval from a governor. So President Trump, declaring that “the destruction of peaceful life and the spilling of blood is against humanity and God,” ordered the Army to deploy an active-duty military police battalion for Washington, Defense Department officials said Monday.

The deployment of the military police unit — some 200 to 500 troops, from Fort Bragg, N.C. — is a sharp escalation in the response to riots and protests that have erupted in the capital.

... The clashes that have echoed in the streets of at least 140 cities are producing a growing toll, the extent of which is still difficult to quantify.

At least five people have died, and an untold number more, including protesters and police officers, have been injured. Thousands of people have been arrested, and fires, looting and vandalism have caused millions of dollars in damage to buildings and businesses

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/01/us/floyd-protests-live.html

---------------------------------

“Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are. - anonymous

In Washington, DC police surrounded and pepper-sprayed protestors, according to reporters at the scene. A local resident provided shelter more than 100 protestors, according to a reporter for The Washington Post.

----------------------------------

With almost zero provocation and no audible warning, Oakland Police launches a barrage of tear gas at a crowd of about 500 to 600 protesters, who quickly dispersed as canisters of the stinging gas were thrown after them. The chemical weapons were deployed about 20 minutes before the 8pm curfew.

---------------------------

In Dallas, police officers reportedly shot at kneeling protestors with tear gas and flash bombs.

A reporter for KERA, who at the scene said he left the scene after having a gun pointed at him.

https://mobile.twitter.com/hadysauce/status/1267640492692508674

-----------------------------

Protests in Philadelphia met with aggression from police and white civilians with bats

In Philadelphia tonight, more than two dozen protesters were arrested after hundreds marched through the city. Teargas and rubber bullets were used on the crowd, which defied the city’s 6pm curfew, according to local reporters.

https://mobile.twitter.com/CBSPhilly/status/1267564440972668929

In the Fishtown neighborhood, a crowd of mostly white men with bats, hammers, and golf clubs took to the streets, saying they were there to protect the area from looters, according to local reporters. A separate group of people in the neighborhood asked police officers to send the armed group home.

One man who appeared to have a hatchet was taken into police custody, according to the Philadelphia Inquirer.

https://mobile.twitter.com/jwehrens/status/1267587942895230976

----------------------------

Two killed in Chicago suburb
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/06/george-floyd-america-pain-weekend-rallies-grip-live-200601132229392.html

Two people were killed during unrest in the Chicago suburb of Cicero as protests continued over the death of George Floyd, according to a town official.

St. Louis police offices injured in gunfire
https://mobile.twitter.com/SLMPD/status/1267693471705563137

At least four police officers injured in gunfire in St. Louis, the city's police department said.

The officers are receiving treatment at hospital and their injuries are not life-threatening, the police department said.

Officers are still taking gunfire downtown.

Car rams into police in Buffalo, wounding two

A vehicle ploughed through a group of police officers at a demonstration on Monday night in Buffalo, New York, wounding at least two people.

Video from the scene shows the vehicle accelerating through an intersection shortly after officers apparently tackle a protester on the street and handcuff him. Officers are seen scattering to avoid the SUV as it drives off on Buffalo's east side. Apparent gunshots are heard.

... there is another way

National Guard In Nashville Put Down Riot Shields

More than 60 National Guard troops put down their riot shields Monday evening at the request of peaceful protesters who had gathered in front of Tennessee's state Capitol in Nashville to honour George Floyd.

Guardsman had initially rushed to grab their shields and form a hard line to block the slowly moving crowd - which was singing and chanting - from advancing up the Capitol steps. As the National Guard began moving, Tennessee State Police grabbed batons and formed a line behind them. However, the crowd remained calm

Democratic legislators leaving the Capitol asked to be able to move past the line of guards to join the crowd. As the crowd continued to sing and call for justice for Black Americans, slowly the shields began to drop. The state troopers declined to drop their batons, but backed farther away from the crowd.

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 02, 2020, 09:45:24 AM »
States where where National Guard troops have been deployed (21):
California, Colorado, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, North Dakota, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Washington, Wisconsin

Cities where protests have erupted (120 cities):
Anchorage, AK; Birmingham, AL; Hoover, AL; Montgomery, AL; Little Rock, AR; Phoenix, AZ; Bakersfield, CA; Beverly Hills, CA; Fontana, CA; Fresno, CA; La Mesa, CA; Los Angeles, CA; Oakland, CA; Sacramento, CA; San Diego, CA; San Francisco, CA; San Jose, CA; Colorado Springs, CO; Denver, CO; Fort Collins, CO; Washington, DC; Wilmington, DE; Jacksonville, FL; Miami, FL; Tallahassee, FL; Tampa, FL; Windermere, FL; Atlanta, GA; Augusta, GA; Savannah, GA; Honolulu, HI; Des Moines, IA; Iowa City, IA; Boise, ID; Idaho Falls, ID; Chicago, IL; Indianapolis, IN; Topeka, KS; Lexington, KY; Louisville, KY; Baton Rouge, LA; Lafayette, LA; Lake Charles, LA; New Orleans, LA; Springfield, MA; Baltimore, MD; Portland, ME; Bay City, MI; Detroit, MI; Grand Rapids, MI; Lansing, MI; Bemidji, MN; Duluth, MN; Minneapolis, MN; St. Paul, MN; Ferguson, MO; Kansas, MO; St. Louis, MO; Jackson, MS; Petal, MS; Billings, MT; Bozeman, MT; Great Falls, MT; Helena, MT; Missoula, MT; Charlotte, NC; Raleigh, NC; Bismarck, ND; Fargo, ND; Lincoln, NE; Omaha, NE; Manchester, NH; Jersey City, NJ; Newark, NJ; Trenton, NJ; Willingboro, NJ; Albuquerque, NM; Santa Fe, NM; Las Vegas, NV; Reno, NV; Albany, NY; Buffalo, NY; New York City, NY; Rochester, NY; Cincinnati, OH; Cleveland, OH; Columbus, OH; Dayton, OH; Toledo, OH; Oklahoma, OK; Tulsa, OK; Eugene, OR; Portland, OR; Salem, OR; Philadelphia, PA; Pittsburgh, PA; Charleston, SC; Columbia, SC; Sioux Falls, SD; Memphis, TN; Nashville, TN; Austin, TX; Corpus Christi, TX; Dallas, TX; Fort Worth, TX; Houston, TX; Laredo, TX; Lubbock, TX; San Antonio, TX; Salt Lake City, UT; Charlottesville, VA; Hampton, VA; Norfolk, VA; Richmond, VA; Burlington, VT; Montpelier, VT; Seattle, WA; Tacoma, WA; Green Bay, WI; Madison, WI; Milwaukee, WI; Fairmont, WV; Huntington, WV; Cheyenne, WY.

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 02, 2020, 10:11:36 AM »
White Nationalist Group Posing as Antifa Called for Violence on Twitter
https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/security/twitter-takes-down-washington-protest-disinformation-bot-behavior-n1221456

A Twitter account claiming to belong to a national “antifa” organization and pushing violent rhetoric related to ongoing protests has been linked to the White Nationalist group Identity Evropa, according to a Twitter spokesperson.

Twitter suspended the account, @ANTIFA_US, after it posted a tweet that incited violence. A company spokesperson also told NBC News that the account violated Twitter's rules against platform manipulation and spam.

As protests were taking place in multiple states across the U.S. Sunday night, the newly created account, @ANTIFA_US, tweeted, “Tonight’s the night, Comrades,” with a brown raised fist emoji and “Tonight we say 'F--- The City' and we move into the residential areas... the white hoods.... and we take what's ours …”

https://www.axios.com/twitter-suspends-fake-antifa-account-white-nationalist-b387f109-2bfd-4326-a60f-a4d398a191c3.html

'Domestic Terrorist Actors’ Could Exploit Floyd Protests, DHS Memo Warns
https://www.politico.com/amp/news/2020/06/01/dhs-domestic-terrorists-protest-294342

... Despite the DHS intelligence note, administration officials have focused overwhelmingly on alleged left-wing violence. The note itself does not use the terms “left” or “right.” But it defines “militia extremists” as people who direct violence at the government because they believe it is taking away Americans’ freedoms and setting up a totalitarian regime. That definition also notes that militia extremists oppose laws regulating gun ownership and often form armed paramilitary groups. Those details are all hallmarks of far right extremism.

... Meanwhile, several Republican officials, including President Donald Trump, have blamed "antifa" for the violence and some have suggested protesters should be hunted down like terrorists.

On Sunday, Attorney General Bill Barr said the Justice Department and FBI would treat antifa protesters as domestic terrorists.

https://www.businessinsider.com/white-supremacist-telegram-channel-encourages-violence-george-floyd-protests-2020-6

------------------------------
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 10:36:10 AM by vox_mundi »

blumenkraft

« Reply #115 on: June 02, 2020, 10:43:15 AM »
This is what Antifa terror looks like!

Ktb

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 158
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #116 on: June 02, 2020, 12:01:47 PM »
Social justice is impossible while "free market" capitalism exists.
And, given a story to enact in which the world is a foe to be conquered, they will conquer it like a foe, and one day, inevitably, their foe will lie bleeding to death at their feet, as the world is now.
- Ishmael

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 02, 2020, 07:11:33 PM »
Thanks, nanning

I'm not always 'beautiful,' though, especially when directly confronting racist terrorists in front of my house...can't go into that right now right here though

Made it through another tense night.

National Guard protected the one open grocery store within miles last night.

More opened up this morning.

No major fires that I've heard of around here, tho someone tried to set fire to a beloved theater and performance center right near ground zero...one of the few buildings left standing there. Some damage, but not much else.

Glad that I make someone smile though :)

Really, there has been an enormous outpouring of help: food, supplies and other support from throughout the region in the last couple days. Some food drives have been so overwhelmed with donations that they have had to hustle to find ways to get it out to areas most in need before food stuffs went bad, including one organized by my niece and nephew a couple blocks away from me.

I hope to have some time to get back to my various neglected urban gardens today, though it's gonna be a bit hot: mid 30s (C).

Pmt111500

« Reply #118 on: June 02, 2020, 07:36:16 PM »
The murder shows what the US justice system has become, so it's no wonder people protest.

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 02, 2020, 08:30:20 PM »
Good point, Pmt.

Hundreds of businesses and public buildings have been damaged or destroyed in the last few days.

Now there is the fear that predatory f'n capitalists will buy up as much of this real estate as they can at rock bottom prices with no thought of what use would be most valuable for the suffering communities struggling to survive here.

Capitalism is not the answer, it is the problem

Phoenix

« Reply #120 on: June 02, 2020, 08:44:36 PM »
This is a scary situation for the whole world. The US probably falls into the conventional definition of "too big to fail".

The unsustainability of the current paradigm is pretty obvious, but the mechanism of transformation to a new balance is far from clear. i worked my ass off for the Bernie Sanders "kumbaya" scenario. I don't see a future w/o something resembling a Green New Deal.

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 02, 2020, 09:00:42 PM »
The DNC and US did not go Sanders way, unfortunately. All that's left is endless protest and interupting business as usual.

This, from a neighbor, gets across well part of what we're facing here now:

So, here's the situation:

1. We have organized to protect our homes, businesses, an lives because the MPD will not do it.

2. When we do find a white supremacist, looter, or fire starter, we are supposed to call the very white supremacist organization that caused all of this, trusting them to suddenly move from laughing and mocking while they shoot, mace, and teargas our community to caring for us and protecting us from racist white men like themselves.

3. Literally at the same moments that white men in a Chevy Durango stop in an alley and shoot several rounds in the air to terrorize us, the police are arresting community members who are trying to protect our neighborhood because they won't.

At the VERY LEAST, as my friend Dahveed Zee has pointed out, the MPD should have been benched during all of this instead of being in charge of the response.

If Governor Tim Walz and Mayor Jacob Frey were genuinely interested in actual change, they would have at the very least had us deal with cops from other jurisdictions.

Alexander555

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 02, 2020, 09:37:40 PM »
Time to buy some guns Wili, may was the best month ever.  https://www.rt.com/op-ed/490556-us-riots-gun-sales-soar/

blumenkraft

« Reply #123 on: June 02, 2020, 09:38:07 PM »
More and more evidence the protesters are not the criminal ones here!

#BlackLivesMattter pls dont pick up a brick , its a set up guys

(Video at link)

Link >> https://twitter.com/hassanmorehamed/status/1267875021541777408

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 02, 2020, 10:17:47 PM »
There are, in fact, neighbors patrolling with shotguns, but I'm not sure that makes me feel safer.

The racists are mostly chicken shits, just pulling crap to try to terrorize the neighborhood.

Organization is a far, far better weapon than guns.

One thing I have noticed that no one (I've seen) in the media is describing these violent white racists as terrorists, which is what they are.

Which itself is rather violently white racist!!

::::::::

nanning wrote: "...police officers joining the protesters ..."

I can't say that this never happens in sincere ways, but I have seen over and over examples of police making sympathetic statements and gestures, then, sometimes just minutes later, firing on the protesters they claimed to be so much in support of.

We can't get tricked into thinking that what we need to do is 'get rid of bad cops, and find more good cops'.  The system from the top down is set up to punish or worse any police who call out or even criticize fellow officers who are racist; a system that also punishes or worse any officer or even police chief who tries to uphold the rights of minorities, even the minorities within the her/his own ranks of police officers.

We really do have to start from scratch. Get rid of the system that is, and try to create a new system with tons and tons of safeguards to be sure that old evils don't slip back in. Then watch like hawks constantly to be sure that they in fact don't.

The only alternative is endless protests...and sadly neither the protesters nor anyone else can insure that protests don't turn 'ugly,' as they mostly do because of police starting to riot
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 10:33:47 PM by wili »

Alexander555

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 02, 2020, 10:25:58 PM »
Until they are at your door. You already have like 400 million in your country. So you can better have one for yourself. The AR-15's are fun to shoot. A shotgun is a terrible thing to shoot. The recoil from the AR-15 is a lot smaller. Easy to handle. And in case of home defence, that one bullet will do the job. The distance will be short, so you want miss. With the shotgun you have like a cloud of hail.

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 02, 2020, 10:35:39 PM »

I am now going to ignore all of your future posts.

I ask the moderators to moderate people on this post trying to foment violence and terror.

I have enough of that in my very own  front yard right now, thank you ever so much
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 11:01:13 PM by wili »

Phoenix

« Reply #127 on: June 02, 2020, 10:39:18 PM »

I ask the moderators to moderate people on this post trying to foment violence and terror.

I feel the same.

Alexander555

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 02, 2020, 10:40:00 PM »
That's the spirit.

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 02, 2020, 10:53:38 PM »
Man Charged After Handing Out Explosives in Minneapolis
https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/06/01/politics/illinois-minneapolis-charges/index.html

Federal authorities have charged an Illinois man for civil disorder, carrying on a riot and possession of unregistered destructive devices associated with recent clashes between violent protesters and police in Minneapolis.

http://cdn.cnn.com/cnn/2020/images/06/01/rupert_signed_complaint_0.pdf

In videos allegedly posted to his Facebook account on May 29, Matthew Lee Rupert, 28, was seen passing out explosive devices to other rioters and encouraged them to throw the devices at law enforcement officers, according to the criminal complaint released Monday.

After handing an explosive device to another rioter and telling the person to throw it at police SWAT officers, the complaint states that Rupert is heard on video saying "He's throwing my bombs," adding, "He's going to bomb the police with them."

After an audible explosion is heard, Rupert is heard saying, "Good shot my boy," according to the complaint, as well as, "F*** 12," a derogatory phrase often directed at law enforcement.

On one video, the complaint alleges Rupert asked for lighter fluid, entered a Sprint cell phone store, and is later heard on video saying, "I lit it on fire."

On May 31, the criminal complaint said Rupert posted Facebook videos depicting himself in Chicago. In one video, Rupert is heard saying, "Let's start a riot," and "I'm going to start doing some damage," according to the complaint. He is then seen on video entering a convenience store and placing items in his backpack, according to the complaint.

Rupert was arrested early Sunday morning by Chicago police officers after allegedly violating the city's emergency curfew order, the complaint states. After searching his vehicle, authorities found several destructive devices, according to the complaint.

Matthew Lee Rupert

Matthew Lee Rupert, 28 year old white male, Charged With Rioting In Minneapolis, Arrested In Chicago Where He Planned More ‘Damage’
https://mobile.twitter.com/4lisaguerrero/status/1267586518572429312

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
« Reply #130 on: June 03, 2020, 12:12:00 AM »
Alexander555, you haven't said one intelligent or wise thing in this thread. With such a low score, it may be better to just be silent.
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1012
  • Likes Given: 1034
« Reply #131 on: June 03, 2020, 12:17:37 AM »
^^ seconded .. b.c.
Conflict is the root of all evil , for being blind it does not see whom it attacks . Yet it always attacks the Son Of God , and the Son of God is you .

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 03, 2020, 12:41:01 AM »
Thank you, neven

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 03, 2020, 02:12:17 AM »
US Army Poised On Outskirts of Washington - Reports
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jun/02/trump-and-biden-offer-starkly-different-visions-with-nation-at-a-crossroads

US troops from the 82nd Airborne Division have been moved from their base in Fort Bragg, North Carolina, to the outskirts of Washington, DC, according to multiple reports from unnamed Defense Department officials.

Around 700 members of the 82nd are now poised at Joint Base Andrews in Maryland and Fort Belvoir in Virginia, the Associated Press reports. Joint Base Andrews is where Air Force One takes off when the president goes on trips and is minutes from the White House, just outside the boundary of the capital.

In addition, 1,400 more soldiers are ready to be mobilized within an hour, AP writes, according to two Defense Department officials, who are not named.

The soldiers are armed and have riot gear, and they also have bayonets, the agency reports.

It is not clear if this is (almost literal) saber-rattling from the president, who has been talking hardline on law and order, displaying hardware in order to intimidate, or if those troops will really be seen on the streets of Washington.

The president has the jurisdiction to send US troops into the federal capital pretty freely, without invoking legislation or seeking permission as would be the case with a state.

Nothing is "standard issue" about this. Paratroopers are trained to kill the enemy and hold ground.

In April 2003 the 82nd were used to control the civilians of Fallujah. They ended up killing 25 protesters, which started the insurgency in Anbar

https://mobile.twitter.com/bungdan/status/1267940026207240192

... The nation’s capital is the one jurisdiction where the Army can deploy without needing approval from a governor. So President Trump, declaring that “the destruction of peaceful life and the spilling of blood is against humanity and God,” ordered the Army to deploy an active-duty military police battalion for Washington
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/01/us/floyd-protests-live.html#link-5328ad31

----------------------------------

The Drug Enforcement Administration has been granted authority to conduct surveillance of protestors, according to a report from Buzzfeed News:
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/jasonleopold/george-floyd-police-brutality-protests-government

The Drug Enforcement Administration has been granted sweeping new authority to “conduct covert surveillance” and collect intelligence on people participating in protests over the murder of George Floyd, according to a two-page memorandum obtained by BuzzFeed News.

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/6935297-LEOPOLD-DEA-Memo-George-Floyd-Protests.html

Floyd’s death “has spawned widespread protests across the nation, which, in some instances, have included violence and looting,” said the DEA memo. “Police agencies in certain areas of the country have struggled to maintain and/or restore order.” The memo requests the extraordinary powers on a temporary basis, and on Sunday afternoon a senior Justice Department official signed off.

Federal agencies have conducted surveillance of protest groups before - in 2015, the Department of Homeland Security monitored activists on Twitter. the FBI monitored Occupy Wall Street protestors in 2011. And of course, antiwar protestors were heavily monitored during the 1960s and 70s.

---------------------------

In Washington, DC, protests have continued despite an amplified policing and military presence.

Tens of thousands gathered on Tuesday evening and stayed out past the 7pm curfew. Demonstrators set up aid stations, handing out water and other supplies. Many came prepped with masks and goggles to shield them against teargas and pepper spray.

We’re officially past curfew out here in front of the White House and the protest has not shrunk one bit. This is the biggest crowd my colleagues and I have seen all week. Instead of deterring them, the aggressive police tactics of yesterday seem to have moved many to come out.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Marissa_Jae/status/1267956666097709062

Here’s the latest tally of press freedom violations during the demonstrations against police brutality, from the US Press Freedom Tracker:

*211 total press freedom violations*

• 33+ arrests
• 143 assaults (118 by police, 25 by others)
• 35 equipment/newsroom damage

Assault category breakdown:
• 49 physical attacks (31 by cops)
• 35 tear gassings
• 21 pepper sprayings
• 50 rubber bullet/projectiles

https://mobile.twitter.com/uspresstracker/status/1267939824461328384

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 03, 2020, 02:32:22 AM »
US Senate Republicans Block Bill Condemning Trump On Protesters
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/06/outrage-peaceful-rally-tear-gassed-trump-photo-op-live-200602143946991.html

US Senate Republicans blocked a Democratic resolution that would have condemned Trump for the use of gas and rubber bullets against peaceful protesters near the White House.

On Monday, federal officials cleared protesters near the White House just before Trump marched through to pose holding a Bible outside a boarded-up church. That, and Trump's threat to deploy federal troops to quell unrest, has deepened outrage among protesters.

AG Barr Personally Ordered Law Enforcement to Push Back Lafayette Square Protesters: Report

US Attorney General William Barr personally ordered protesters to be pushed back from Washington's Lafayette Square the Washington Post reported, just before Trump spoke from the White House Rose Garden.

Following a brief speech on Monday, Trump walked out of the White House, with a heavy security detail, across Lafayette Square to St. John's Episcopal Church, where he stopped in front of boarded-up windows and held up a Bible for cameras before walking back to the White House.

The Washington Post reported that Barr made the request about pushing back protesters from the square after finding a previous decision to widen the security perimeter around the White House had not been acted upon.

Area Around White House Sealed Off

The streets around the White House complex were shut Tuesday morning, guarded by a mix of Secret Service officers and FBI agents.

Overnight, a fence was constructed around Lafayette Park and along 17th Street at Pennsylvania Avenue, two areas that have been focal points for protests.

Man Gives Shelter to 70 Protesters
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/06/outrage-peaceful-rally-tear-gassed-trump-photo-op-live-200602143946991.html

A man in Washington, DC said he sheltered about 70 protesters in his home all night after they got caught between police lines after curfew.

Rahul Dubey told WJLA-TV he was sitting on his porch around 8:30pm last night when law enforcement officers began corralling protesters on his street. He let some sit with him, and helped others out through his back alley, but the situation then escalated when officers started pushing protesters to the ground and releasing pepper spray, creating a "human tsunami" that flooded into his home.

"I was hanging on my railing yelling, 'Get in the house! Get in the house!'" he told The Washington Post.

Officers also released pepper spray through the window after he closed the door, Dubey told WJLA-TV. The protesters inside the home screamed, and started pouring water and milk into their eyes, which were reddened by tear gas, in a scene he described as "pure mayhem".

The protesters left the home after 6am Tuesday when the district's curfew ended.

In the Valley of Elah (2007) - Flag scene & ending
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_the_Valley_of_Elah

Phoenix

« Reply #135 on: June 03, 2020, 03:21:58 AM »
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.
~ John F. Kennedy

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 03, 2020, 03:29:00 AM »
Thanks, vox

I can't fully verify all of these right now, but a lot of bad stuff is happening to citizens all over, most of which isn't hitting the presses in a big way. (One little ray of light, though, is that the Mpls School Board, pressured by the public including yours truly, just joined the University of Minnesota and others in deciding to cancel their contract with the Mpls Police Department, showing further how nearly every major educational--and other--institution in the city, and nearly all of the citizens, no longer see the MPD as a legitimate organization.)

Going around fb...any corrections or additions (beyond my own in brackets) are welcome.

'Austin police have killed a young man by shooting him in the head with bird shot rounds wrapped in cloth, and continued to shoot the medics carrying his body. They shot a known pregnant woman in the stomach, then stormed and abducted her from a medic tent. They maced young children during a peaceful daytime protest.

Detroit police have brutally beaten, tear gassed and arrested my friends peacefully protesting. A curfew is set from 8pm to 5am city wide.

Rockford police dragged people from their cars and beat them last night.

Armored police shot at people  filming them on their own balconies. [Reportedly, one NG said 'Light 'em up!' and when another hit the woman squarely in the groin with the device, he bragged, "I'm good! That musta hurt!]   https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06-02/minneapolis-woman-shot-at-by-police-during-george-floyd-protests/12310592

An NYPD officer called a woman a "fucking bitch" and threw her on the ground. She went into a seizure and had to go to the emergency room. Then more New York cops rammed into crowds of protesters with their cars.

An Atlanta couple last night had their tires slashed, windows broken, and were dragged out of their car and tazed.

Chicago police announced a curfew and then raised the bridges out of downtown. Demonstrators were trapped and at the utter mercy of CPD roundups. A police supervisor ordered on the radio, "Gas 'em all." Over 1,000 people have been arrested.

Everywhere, journalists are being indiscriminately targeted and arrested. A Minneapolis photojournalist is blinded permanently in one eye after being hit by a less lethal round.

They've maced children. They've torn off a woman's hijab. They're turning off their body cameras and hiding their badge numbers.

La Mesa police put a Black grandmother in the ICU with a metal beanbag between the eyes at point blank on Monday.

This is just what's been documented. Imagine what hasn't been.
The true nature of American policing has been revealed for the world to see. I have never seen brutality on such a massive scale. They don't care if you're peaceful. They don't care if they're on camera.
Black and brown youth are the leaders on the ground. They are the leaders of our future. Black and brown youth are the people who are bleeding, getting beaten, and being thrown into jail. This is trauma that will last their whole lives.
To the bail funds. To the phone lines to demand release. We have to protect our people.
If you're going out there again please, and I beg you, be safe.”

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 03, 2020, 04:21:54 AM »
The Department of Defense has upgraded the force protection level in the National Capitol Region.
https://mobile.twitter.com/Global_Mil_Info/status/1267877540607209476

Upgraded to Force Protection Condition “Charlie”

Force Protection Level I Antiterrorism Training defines FPCON Charlie as: FPCON Charlie applies when an incident occurs or intelligence is received indicating that some form of terrorist action against personnel and installations is imminent.

It was BullShit after 2001 and it's still BullShit. ... FUBAR

1000s of Troops On the Move from Fort Bragg
https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/33802/military-helicopters-descend-on-washington-in-bizarre-very-low-altitude-show-of-force

... There are also reports that the elements of the 82nd Airborne Division's Immediate Response Force, which last deployed to Iraq to bolster security there following an attack on the Embassy in Baghdad in December 2019, are arriving in D.C. from the unit's home base at Fort Bragg in North Carolina. This would be in line with Trump's earlier statement that thousands of troops were heading to the capital.

Units assigned to the secretive Joint Special Operations Command (JSOC) have reportedly been put on alert, too. JSOC, which is the U.S. military's premier counter-terrorism force, has something of a nebulous mission in the greater D.C. area, also known as the National Capital Region, as part of a unit known as the Joint Interagency Task Force-National Capital Region (JIATF-NCR), also sometimes referred to as SOCOM-National Capital Region (SOCOM-NCR) or just the Interagency Task Force (IATF).

There have been other reports of C-17s and C-130Js flying in from other posts, as well, including Fort Drum in New York, home of the Army's 10th Mountain Division, and Fort Riley in Kansas, where the 1st Infantry Division is based.

https://mobile.twitter.com/AircraftSpots/status/1267674928729358336

https://mobile.twitter.com/vcdgf555/status/1267687291591356417

https://mobile.twitter.com/vcdgf555/status/1267704576741789697

... Other assets are involved in the overwatch missions beyond the usual police and agency helicopters, as well. U.S. Customs and Border Protection Dash-8 turboprops, which are heavily modified with advanced sensors, are flying missions out of Reagan National Airport. A Cessna Citation registered to the National Aircraft Leasing Corporation, but linked to the FBI, is also now orbiting over the D.C. area. Other fixed-wing aircraft have been seen flying high overhead, as well, some of which do not have their transponders on—which is another highly peculiar move.

... Also, the airlift operations continue out of Andrews AFB

National Guard deployment in California
https://mobile.twitter.com/AuroraIntel/status/1267888375140417540

-------------------------------------

Pentagon Moves 1,600 Active Duty Troops Into the DC Area to Assist Civil Authorities
https://edition.cnn.com/us/live-news/george-floyd-protests-06-02-20/index.html

The Pentagon confirmed Tuesday night that about 1,600 active duty troops had been moved from Fort Bragg and Fort Drum to the Washington, DC area to assist civil authorities if needed. 

No active duty forces have been deployed in DC as of now, but the “active duty elements are postured on military bases in the National Capitol Region,” said Pentagon Chief spokesman Jonathan Hoffman in a statement, describing the movement as a "prudent planning measure."

The troops “are on heightened alert status but remain under Title X authority and are not participating in defense support to civil authority operations,” Hoffman said.
CNN previously reported that troops from Fort Bragg were being moved in the DC area on Monday night.

President Donald Trump’s announcement Monday that he is ready to deploy the military to enforce order inside the United States has led to discomfort among some in the Pentagon, defense officials have told CNN.

Some Pentagon officials have tried to make a strong case that the situation does not yet call for deploying active duty troops unless state governors make a clear argument that such forces are needed.

"There is an intense desire for local law enforcement to be in charge," a defense official said, alluding to the laws that forbid the military from performing law enforcement roles inside the US

Defense Secretary Mark Esper defends military role in quelling civil disorder in memo

... A former top policy official at the Pentagon, James Miller, resigned from his role on the Defense Advisory Board due to what he said was Secretary of Defense Mark Esper’s visible support of the clearing of protesters from Lafayette Square Monday, an act Miller called a violation of Esper’s oath of office.

... “You recited that same oath on July 23, 2019, when you were sworn in as Secretary of Defense. On Monday, June 1, 2020, I believe that you violated that oath,” Miller wrote, referring to law enforcement officers clearing of peaceful protesters.

“You may not have been able to stop President Trump from directing this appalling use of force, but you could have chosen to oppose it. Instead, you visibly supported it,” Miller added.

-------------------------------

I Cannot Remain Silent
https://www.defenseone.com/ideas/2020/06/i-cannot-remain-silent/165853/

Adm Mike Mullen, US Navy (ret) - Former Chairman, Joint Chiefs of Staff

It sickened me yesterday to see security personnel—including members of the National Guard—forcibly and violently clear a path through Lafayette Square to accommodate the president’s visit outside St. John’s Church. I have to date been reticent to speak out on issues surrounding President Trump’s leadership, but we are at an inflection point, and the events of the past few weeks have made it impossible to remain silent.

Whatever Trump’s goal in conducting his visit, he laid bare his disdain for the rights of peaceful protest in this country, gave succor to the leaders of other countries who take comfort in our domestic strife, and risked further politicizing the men and women of our armed forces.

There was little good in the stunt.

... We must, as citizens, address head-on the issue of police brutality and sustained injustices against the African American community. We must, as citizens, support and defend the right—indeed, the solemn obligation—to peacefully assemble and to be heard. These are not mutually exclusive pursuits.

And neither of these pursuits will be made easier or safer by an overly aggressive use of our military, active duty or National Guard. The United States has a long and, to be fair, sometimes troubled history of using the armed forces to enforce domestic laws. The issue for us today is not whether this authority exists, but whether it will be wisely administered.

I remain confident in the professionalism of our men and women in uniform. They will serve with skill and with compassion. They will obey lawful orders. But I am less confident in the soundness of the orders they will be given by this commander in chief, and I am not convinced that the conditions on our streets, as bad as they are, have risen to the level that justifies a heavy reliance on military troops. Certainly, we have not crossed the threshold that would make it appropriate to invoke the provisions of the Insurrection Act.

Furthermore, I am deeply worried that as they execute their orders, the members of our military will be co-opted for political purposes.

Even in the midst of the carnage we are witnessing, we must endeavor to see American cities and towns as our homes and our neighborhoods. They are not “battle spaces” to be dominated, and must never become so.

We must ensure that African Americans—indeed, all Americans—are given the same rights under the Constitution, the same justice under the law, and the same consideration we give to members of our own family. Our fellow citizens are not the enemy, and must never become so.

Too many foreign and domestic policy choices have become militarized; too many military missions have become politicized.

This is not the time for stunts. This is the time for leadership.

Trump Has Normalised Mayhem and the US is Paying the Price
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jun/02/donald-trump-coronavirus-george-floyd-normalized

The sheer tumult of the Trump era, the unceasing torrent of events that were unthinkable even hours before, has left a nation constantly off balance, unable to find its bearing and grasp how far it has traveled.

The developments of the past 24 hours were a reminder of how slippery the downward slope has been.

More than a hundred thousand Americans are dead from a pandemic after the government’s botched response; there are armoured cars and troops outside Washington metro stations; men in combat gear carrying sniper rifles were seen perched in the open door of a helicopter flying low over the commercial district. A military chopper buzzed a crowd of demonstrators so close to the ground they were buffeted around by the wind from the rotor, a dispersal technique learned in counter-insurgencies abroad.

On Monday, an entirely peaceful protest was driven out of a city square in front of the White House with teargas, baton charges and mounted police, so Trump could pose in front of a church with a Bible.

A priest and a seminarian, who had been distributing water and hand sanitizer to protesters from the steps of St John’s Episcopal, were driven away by police with helmets and riot shields to create an uncluttered tableau. A Bible was procured for Trump from inside the church for him to hold aloft. Journalists asked if it was his Bible. “It’s a Bible,” he replied.

The rate of fresh affronts has often outpaced the capacity to digest – or even describe – them. Peaceful protesters, journalists, a young African American man pleading for mutual understanding, shop owners, residents are being targeted for arbitrary arrest or police beatings or both – especially if they are black.

Overnight the very language of governance has changed. The defence secretary has described US cities as the “battlespace” and the president has rejoiced in his administration’s “overwhelming force” and “domination” over the citizenry. ...

------------------------------

Turning and turning in the widening gyre   
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere   
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst   
Are full of passionate intensity.

The Second Coming - William Butler Yeats
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 04:41:11 AM by vox_mundi »

nanning

• Nilas ice
  • 0Kg CO₂, 37 KWh/wk,125L H₂O/wk, No offspring
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 273
  • Likes Given: 23170
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 06:19:02 AM by nanning »
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly" - Bertrand Russell
"It is preoccupation with what other people from your groups think of you, that prevents you from living freely and nobly" - Nanning
Why do you keep accumulating stuff?

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 03, 2020, 06:25:02 AM »
"...A Bible was procured for Trump from inside the church ..."

In other words, "...leader of looters of Episcopal Church identified: D.J. Trump"

bluice

« Reply #141 on: June 03, 2020, 06:38:52 AM »
A long and interesting Bellingcat article about the Bugaloo Bois, one of the armed groups born out of the internet forums and turned into an irl force during hhe Trump era

https://www.bellingcat.com/news/2020/05/27/the-boogaloo-movement-is-not-what-you-think/

blumenkraft

« Reply #142 on: June 03, 2020, 06:55:52 AM »
Alexander555, you haven't said one intelligent or wise thing in this thread. With such a low score, it may be better to just be silent.

Alexander, please take what Neven said very seriously.

As a heads up, from now on, i will snip even remotely insensible posts of yours in this thread.

blumenkraft

« Reply #143 on: June 03, 2020, 09:18:06 AM »
LA rioter lights firework on the street. Gets it thrown back into his car.

Link >> https://www.reddit.com/r/WinStupidPrizes/comments/gvhjcu/la_rioter_lights_firework_on_the_street_gets_it/

blumenkraft

« Reply #144 on: June 03, 2020, 01:32:47 PM »
'Do the Right Thing': Veterans Call On National Guard Members to Refuse to Deploy Against Protesters

Link >> https://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/06/02/do-right-thing-veterans-call-national-guard-members-refuse-deploy-against-protesters

blumenkraft

« Reply #145 on: June 03, 2020, 01:33:13 PM »
Idiotic Cops Arrest Black Business Owners Protecting Their Store

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 03, 2020, 01:33:53 PM »

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #147 on: June 03, 2020, 05:24:42 PM »

blumenkraft

« Reply #148 on: June 03, 2020, 05:31:10 PM »

I don’t see anything here.

I had the same problem with my default browser (Safari). But when i switched to Firefox it worked.

blumenkraft

« Reply #149 on: June 03, 2020, 05:54:52 PM »
Trump is talking about using tanks to quell the George Floyd protests but the Pentagon is getting cold feet

Link >> https://www.businessinsider.com/pentagon-didnt-expect-trump-deploy-more-troops-after-esper-call-2020-6