Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: George Floyd murder and blowback  (Read 40677 times)

blumenkraft

Re: George Floyd murder and blowback
« Reply #300 on: June 24, 2020, 11:58:27 AM »
@trilippacedgod

Remember Daniel Shaver? That 1
time a white dude got shot unarmed
while crawling towards a cop crying
'please don't shoot me I don't want to
die". That cop is still on the force in
the town I live 1 block from. Plus he
gets an untaxed 30k/year pension for
his PTSD from murdering.

Phoenix

« Reply #301 on: June 24, 2020, 01:22:36 PM »
It was a good day for candidates of color at the ballot box in NY today.  Voting is a damn good form of activism.

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 602
  • Likes Given: 409
« Reply #302 on: June 24, 2020, 04:16:51 PM »
But this piece suggests that corporate, old school dems, including Biden, may be in trouble this fall:

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2020/06/24/letter-to-washington-grosse-pointe-woods-325641
"A force de chercher de bonnes raisons, on en trouve; on les dit; et après on y tient, non pas tant parce qu'elles sont bonnes que pour ne pas se démentir." Choderlos de Laclos "You struggle to come up with some valid reasons, then cling to them, not because they're good, but just to not back down."

Phoenix

« Reply #303 on: June 24, 2020, 04:53:37 PM »
But this piece suggests that corporate, old school dems, including Biden, may be in trouble this fall:

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2020/06/24/letter-to-washington-grosse-pointe-woods-325641

It's an interesting discussion. I understand exactly where those people are coming from even if I don't exactly agree with their conclusion. I hope Biden takes their feelings about Kamala being a phony into consideration when it comes time to pick a VP.

Freegrass

• Young ice
  • Autodidacticism is a complicated word...
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 951
  • Likes Given: 1251
« Reply #304 on: June 24, 2020, 07:05:21 PM »
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jun/23/suffocating-french-delivery-driver-cedric-chouviat-last-words-george-floyd-case
  by Kim Willsher

Excerpts:
A French delivery driver who died after being arrested in Paris pleaded, “I’m suffocating” several times as police held him to the ground.

Footage has emerged of 42-year-old Cédric Chouviat saying he could not breathe seven times in 22 seconds as officers pinned him to the ground.

Four police officers are being questioned for “involuntary homicide” over the arrest near the Eiffel Tower in January that echoes the death of George Floyd in the US that has sparked worldwide protests and Black Lives Matter demonstrations.

Police said they stopped Chouviat on his scooter after claiming he was looking at his mobile phone and had a dirty licence plate. Officers say he was disrespectful and abusive and resisted arrest.

However, a report by the National Gendarmerie Institute for Criminal Research suggested the exchanges between the police and the delivery driver were “correct”, although officers may have felt he was being “provocative” or “defiant”.

According to witnesses quoted by Le Monde, the officers held Chouviat, a father of five, in a chokehold, a restraint technique that was banned by the interior minister, Christophe Castaner, this month, then reinstated after complaints from police.
I'm disgusted with all the hate creating messages on this thread. Do you really not understand what you are doing? Yes, it's all bad shit, but by posting this you're not digging down to the core of the problem. You're just helping to create more hatred and fear and division...

Oh how they like us to be divided...

I AM A RACIST!!! I truly am..
I love Asian women, and I don't like black women.
I am also especially kind to people from other races because I want to show them - and everyone else - that I really am not a racist. I don't see people as equals. I was taught that I have to be careful and scared for "strangers".

Watch out for drug users!
There's more crime amongst people of a lower class...

And when you're not white, we don't call you American, or Belgian, or Chinese. No, we call you African American. An immigrant. A "new" Belgian... We never accept your differences...

I was raised a racist, and I will carry that burden for the rest of my life. But being a racist doesn't mean that I have to accept it and act on it. You have good racist that try to help people from other races, and you have bad racists that hate those who are different and smoke pot once in a while.

Being different is an asset. It's nothing to be afraid about...
90% of the world is religious, but somehow "love thy neighbour" became "fuck thy neighbours", if they don't agree with your point of view.

WTF happened?

blumenkraft

« Reply #305 on: June 24, 2020, 07:27:52 PM »
I'm disgusted with all the hate creating messages on this thread.

I don't understand. This is happening! Why are we the hate creating ones by pointing out that it is indeed happening?

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: June 24, 2020, 07:34:41 PM »
I'm disgusted with all the hate creating messages on this thread.

I don't understand. This is happening! Why are we the hate creating ones by pointing out that it is indeed happening?
Because you are doing exactly what MSNBC and Fucks news and so many others in power want us to do... Divide and conquer... And rob them blind while they are busy hating each other with all the shit that we are creating for them to divert attention from the real shit we are doing...

Don't you understand modern slavery? Are you the frog that's slowly cooking?

WATCH THE DOLL VIDEO AGAIN!!!!

I edited and posted the message I posted here on Facebook.

Read it again, and try to understand it... It's been my life to understand what ails the world. And what ails the world is fear... And fear leads to hatred...

Are you a racist? Can you accept that? Or are you ignorant to reality?

I'm disgusted with all the hate creating messages I see these days on public fora. Do people really not understand what we are doing with all this?

Yes, it's all bad shit what's happening with cop beatings and statues all that shit. But by posting these hate crimes you're not digging down to the core of the problem. You're just helping to create more hatred and fear and division...

Oh how they like us to be divided...

I AM A RACIST!!! I truly am..
I love Asian women, and I don't like black women...

I am also especially kind to people from other races because I want to show them - and everyone else - that I really am not a racist. I don't see people as equals. I was taught that I have to be careful and scared of "strangers".

Watch out for drug users!
There's more crime amongst people of a lower class...

And when you're not white, we don't call you American, or Belgian, or Chinese. No... we call you African American. An immigrant. A "new" Belgian... We never accept you for your personality... All we see is color and class...

I was raised a racist, and I will carry that burden for the rest of my life. But being a racist doesn't mean that I have to accept it and act on it. There are good racist that try to help people from other races, and you have bad racists that hate those who are different and smoke pot once in a while.

Being different is an asset. It's nothing to be afraid about...
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 07:47:13 PM by Freegrass »
90% of the world is religious, but somehow "love thy neighbour" became "fuck thy neighbours", if they don't agree with your point of view.

WTF happened?

blumenkraft

« Reply #307 on: June 24, 2020, 07:46:09 PM »
So what are we supposed to do? Pretend everything is fine? Head in the sand approach?

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: June 24, 2020, 07:48:13 PM »
If you want the water to stop boiling, you need to turn off the fire instead of complaining about how hot it's getting...

WTF happened?

blumenkraft

« Reply #309 on: June 24, 2020, 07:57:10 PM »
Like that time, when they didn't behead the lords and put the guillotines to the side and the lords said you are forgiven all your debt and then they sang and danced. Must be like that.

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: June 24, 2020, 08:13:26 PM »
Was everybody happy with that?
Why didn't Neven just delete me after my first warning? Why did he let me back in?
Some people here still can't get over that, and so hatred rules, because true forgiveness is hard...

WTF happened?

Phoenix

« Reply #311 on: June 24, 2020, 08:16:55 PM »
Police reform appears to be dead in the senate.

The sticking points appear to be qualified immunity for cops, banning chokeholds and body camera requirements.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/24/politics/senate-police-reform-bill/index.html

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: June 24, 2020, 08:23:47 PM »

The sticking points appear to be qualified immunity for cops, banning chokeholds and body camera requirements.

Laws can't change the world. It has to come from within...

The Dharma Wheel, Dharmachakra, or Wheel of Dharma, is one of the many sacred teachings of Buddhism and other Indian religions, such as Hinduism and Jainism. It is one of the most important and sacred symbols in the Buddhist faith as it represents Buddha's teachings.

Learn it if you truly want to change the world...
And yes, it comes close to teaching of Jesus, because Jesus was really a Buddhist...

« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 08:46:23 PM by Freegrass »

WTF happened?

Phoenix

« Reply #313 on: June 24, 2020, 08:49:19 PM »
It's been my life to understand what ails the world. And what ails the world is fear...

You've mentioned both fear and attachment and I think we can safely say that fear is a manifestation of attachment.

It seems that maybe you are attached to some savior complex. You correctly diagnose the divide and conquer tactics of the US media and seem afraid that we can't walk and chew gum at the same time. Namely, that we can't simultaneously focus on both racial and universal injustice.

For what its worth, I stopped watching the brainwashing of US cable news and have lived w/o a TV for a long time. Life is more peaceful w/o the constant inflammation.

blumenkraft

« Reply #314 on: June 24, 2020, 09:00:38 PM »
Ok, folks, the detours is over. Back on topic, please (which is the George Floyd murder and blowback (which includes pointing out other kinds of police brutality/cruelty)). Everyone who doesn't like the premise of this thread is free to avoid it.

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: June 24, 2020, 09:36:10 PM »
Phoenix wrote:

I always found it a bit weird to put trust in body cameras. Requiring them already implies pretty much total lack of faith in the cops. Why keep around a work force you have no faith in?

And if you don't trust people so much that you have to record their every move, why do you think they won't find various ways around the camera thing, as many have in many instances?

To the extent that we continue with anything like a police force anywhere, qualified immunity has definitely got to end, or be vastly scaled back. You can't have an entire segment of the population that can, in the words of our fearless leader, shoot someone on 5th Avenue in broad daylight and get away with it.
"A force de chercher de bonnes raisons, on en trouve; on les dit; et après on y tient, non pas tant parce qu'elles sont bonnes que pour ne pas se démentir." Choderlos de Laclos "You struggle to come up with some valid reasons, then cling to them, not because they're good, but just to not back down."

Phoenix

« Reply #316 on: June 24, 2020, 10:00:39 PM »
Phoenix wrote:

I always found it a bit weird to put trust in body cameras. Requiring them already implies pretty much total lack of faith in the cops. Why keep around a work force you have no faith in?

And if you don't trust people so much that you have to record their every move, why do you think they won't find various ways around the camera thing, as many have in many instances?

To the extent that we continue with anything like a police force anywhere, qualified immunity has definitely got to end, or be vastly scaled back. You can't have an entire segment of the population that can, in the words of our fearless leader, shoot someone on 5th Avenue in broad daylight and get away with it.

Power is corrupting. Cameras on cops are an intelligent check on abuse of power which is clearly all too common in the US. Without cameras, this thread and discussion wouldn't exist.

Almost everything is recorded these days. The NSA has an archived record of everything I post on on the internet or buy with my bank card and a location history of my cell phone. Bank tellers work under security cameras. Why should cops be exempt?

greylib

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 85
  • Likes Given: 184
« Reply #317 on: June 25, 2020, 12:14:50 AM »
Power is corrupting. Cameras on cops are an intelligent check on abuse of power which is clearly all too common in the US. Without cameras, this thread and discussion wouldn't exist.

Almost everything is recorded these days. The NSA has an archived record of everything I post on on the internet or buy with my bank card and a location history of my cell phone. Bank tellers work under security cameras. Why should cops be exempt?
Police are now starting to portray themselves as victims. If I thought people were going to tell lies about me, I'd be grateful for a camera on my chest which shows exactly what happened. Since they're not grateful, it's fairly clear that they don't really see themselves as victims.
Step by step, moment by moment
We live through another day.

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: June 25, 2020, 03:03:47 AM »
Good points, gl

Yes, it was a camera that prompted this thread (and more importantly a worldwide movement).

But it wasn't a camera worn by a cop.

I'm saying that cameras on cops is another way for some to feel that the situation is being taken care of, when in fact it is much deeper, something that a few cameras on a few cops will never begin to address.

But yeah, that they couldn't even get that weak measure through shows just how far the Republicans are to facing up to any of this sh!t

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #319 on: June 25, 2020, 12:25:58 PM »
Perhaps because we lack any alternative, since we have only humans and not Vulcans to hire from?

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2042
  • Likes Given: 1986
« Reply #320 on: June 25, 2020, 01:58:14 PM »
You don´t need Vulcans but proper training.
Training in deescalation which is woefully lacking and yes qualified immunity has to go.
And fairer policing/justice.

In fact the whole society would fare better if it was fairer with a more equal income distribution, equal chances.

We know that getting the homeless houses is cheaper then policing them. Similarly treating the drugs problem as a health care problem also saves money and has better results.

The whole system needs to be overhauled. Not that that will happen soon enough.
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

blumenkraft

« Reply #321 on: June 25, 2020, 03:58:53 PM »

Phoenix

« Reply #322 on: June 25, 2020, 07:51:07 PM »
NASA names it DC headquarters building after its first black female engineer, Mary Jackson.

https://www.theweek.com/speedreads/921974/nasa-names-dc-headquarters-after-mary-w-jackson-1st-black-female-engineer

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3510
  • Likes Given: 745
« Reply #323 on: June 27, 2020, 04:26:12 AM »
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― anonymous

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late

nanning

• Nilas ice
  • 0Kg CO₂, 37 KWh/wk,125L H₂O/wk, No offspring
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 273
  • Likes Given: 23170
« Reply #324 on: June 29, 2020, 08:22:49 AM »
Black child on London charity cycle ride injured during ‘aggressive’ arrest

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/jun/28/black-teenager-on-family-cycle-ride-injured-during-aggressive-police-arrest
  by Nosheen Iqbal

Excerpts:
Huugo Boateng was taking part in a charity bike ride with his father along the River Lea in north London when he says he was grabbed from his bike by a plainclothes police officer, threatened with a stun gun and fell face first into thorny bushes.
(3m45)

Andrew said: “If this was a normal stop and search, I could respect that. But it is obvious why we were treated the way we were. The police came in at high-octane aggression level 10. We were on a family bike ride, and my son was essentially assaulted by a police officer. We were threatened with Tasers even though we weren’t resisting, and then just put in handcuffs.”

The officers said they were responding to a stabbing in a nearby park, and that the father and son matched the description of the assailants. One officer, when questioned by Paton on camera, said: “The victim at this point was very unwilling to give us descriptions. The only thing he has given us is IC3 [police code for a black person] males on a bike … That’s very vague, isn’t it?”

Paton described the scene as “racial profiling at its worst”. The photographer, who lives on a boat on the river, had responded to Andrew’s pleas asking someone to film what was going on. “The mood was defensive, borderline aggressive and patronising,” she said. “I was disgusted. It really drove the issue [of racism] home for me. The way they spoke to Andrew, the way they treated him and kept him in handcuffs so long when he could prove so quickly he was completely innocent and the wrong person. It was just so disappointing to see.”

The Boatengs, who live in Tottenham, say they were shocked and humiliated by the experience. Huugo suffered lacerations to his face and bruises on his legs, and spent that night sleeping on his parents’ bedroom floor, anxious not to be alone.
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly" - Bertrand Russell
"It is preoccupation with what other people from your groups think of you, that prevents you from living freely and nobly" - Nanning
Why do you keep accumulating stuff?

blumenkraft

« Reply #325 on: June 29, 2020, 05:19:43 PM »
Cops Taze Pregnant Woman In Stomach, She Screams In Agony, Loses Her Child

blumenkraft

« Reply #326 on: June 30, 2020, 01:28:40 PM »

blumenkraft

« Reply #327 on: June 30, 2020, 03:46:02 PM »
Police in riot gear confront peaceful violin vigil for Elijah McClain with pepper spray

Link >> https://www.msnbc.com/all-in/watch/police-in-riot-gear-confront-peaceful-violin-vigil-for-elijah-mcclain-with-pepper-spray-86434373957

blumenkraft

« Reply #328 on: July 01, 2020, 08:51:23 AM »
Detroit police officer drives through a crowd of protesters, hitting the gas, stopping and speeding forward. Multiple injuries reported.

Link >> https://www.reddit.com/r/PublicFreakout/comments/hhuvv0/detroit_police_officer_drives_through_a_crowd_of/

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1047
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #329 on: July 01, 2020, 08:45:23 PM »
Seattle autonomous zone shut down:

"anyone who remains in the area, or returns to the area, is subject to arrest".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-53254221

sidd

blumenkraft

« Reply #330 on: July 03, 2020, 10:22:15 AM »
"It is not a blue life, it's a fucking blue shirt"

Link >> https://www.reddit.com/r/PublicFreakout/comments/hg1bdg/it_is_not_a_blue_life_its_a_fucking_blue_shirt/

(Video at link)

blumenkraft

« Reply #331 on: July 05, 2020, 02:44:37 PM »

blumenkraft

« Reply #332 on: July 05, 2020, 02:49:49 PM »
See the GeStaPo showing its face.

Policeman in Oregon flashing a white power sign at a Proud Boy

Link >> https://www.reddit.com/r/Bad_Cop_No_Donut/comments/hlkxfb/policeman_in_oregon_flashing_a_white_power_sign/

Alexander555

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 185
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #333 on: July 05, 2020, 04:02:33 PM »
The impact of his dead is getting pretty big. He died on the 25th. At that point the number of infections was going down. Than the protest started all over the US. And 2 weeks later the infection started to pick up. And now they are above 50 000 a day. And the protests are still going on. Even with a lockdown it will take 3 months to bring the numbers down to a few 1000 a day. By than it will already be freezing in the north. And i think they want be able to stop it in winter. That will bring it to may/june 2021. Europe had a few protests, but not that many. And so far there is no spike like in the US.

blumenkraft

« Reply #334 on: July 05, 2020, 04:26:50 PM »

The Walrus

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 149
  • Likes Given: 485
« Reply #335 on: July 05, 2020, 05:44:57 PM »
Detroit police officer drives through a crowd of protesters, hitting the gas, stopping and speeding forward. Multiple injuries reported.

Link >> https://www.reddit.com/r/PublicFreakout/comments/hhuvv0/detroit_police_officer_drives_through_a_crowd_of/

Detroit police chief says officers were concerned for their safety, saying protesters ‘attacked’ police vehicles.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.clickondetroit.com/news/local/2020/06/30/detroit-police-chief-defends-officers-involved-in-clash-with-protesters/%3foutputType=amp

blumenkraft

« Reply #336 on: July 05, 2020, 06:13:02 PM »
... Detroit police chief says ...

Rolling on the floor laughing.

"Niemand hat die Absicht eine Mauer zu errichten" (No one has any intend to build a wall) said Walter Ulbricht just 2 months before they built the Berlin wall.

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2042
  • Likes Given: 1986
« Reply #337 on: July 05, 2020, 06:51:07 PM »
The impact of his dead is getting pretty big. He died on the 25th. At that point the number of infections was going down. Than the protest started all over the US. And 2 weeks later the infection started to pick up. And now they are above 50 000 a day. And the protests are still going on. Even with a lockdown it will take 3 months to bring the numbers down to a few 1000 a day. By than it will already be freezing in the north. And i think they want be able to stop it in winter. That will bring it to may/june 2021. Europe had a few protests, but not that many. And so far there is no spike like in the US.

This a bit of a fake argument (it is not the main cause).

Getting any better at HOI IV lately?  ;)
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

Alexander555

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 185
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #338 on: July 05, 2020, 09:18:04 PM »
So thousands of people screaming in eachothers necks would not make a difference ? In the UK the bars opened this weekend. So we will see in 2 weeks.

GoSouthYoungins

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 150
  • Likes Given: 109
« Reply #339 on: July 05, 2020, 09:34:22 PM »
Does anyone know where I can find numbers on the number of black people who are killed by white people every year in the United States? Is there a database?
big time oops

blumenkraft

« Reply #340 on: July 05, 2020, 09:37:58 PM »
Not the topic of the thread though, GSY.

If you want to know about people being killed by the police, here you go >> https://mappingpoliceviolence.org.

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3510
  • Likes Given: 745
« Reply #341 on: July 05, 2020, 10:22:55 PM »
Wise words from Chief Joseph - Nez Perces

Excerpted from Chief Joseph, That All People May Be One People, Send Rain to Wash the Face of the Earth
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2866608/
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― anonymous

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late

blumenkraft

« Reply #342 on: July 06, 2020, 03:02:53 PM »
George Floyd Toxicology Report: Explained

blumenkraft

« Reply #343 on: July 07, 2020, 12:23:58 PM »
Cops brutally assault a man who's apparently having a seizure.

Video at link >> https://www.reddit.com/r/PublicFreakout/comments/hmjkr0/this_young_man_was_having_a_seizure_and_trying_to/

blumenkraft

« Reply #344 on: July 08, 2020, 01:22:48 PM »

blumenkraft

« Reply #345 on: July 09, 2020, 09:11:47 AM »
This is why there are so few 'good apples'.

nanning

• Nilas ice
  • 0Kg CO₂, 37 KWh/wk,125L H₂O/wk, No offspring
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 273
  • Likes Given: 23170
« Reply #346 on: July 10, 2020, 04:55:56 AM »
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jul/09/black-lives-matter-trump-tower-de-blasio

New York Mayor paints "Black Lives Matter" in front of Trump Tower.

"Washington DC was the first US city to get giant yellow “Black Lives Matter” street art when the mayor, Muriel Bowser, had it painted on the street leading to the White House."
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly" - Bertrand Russell
"It is preoccupation with what other people from your groups think of you, that prevents you from living freely and nobly" - Nanning
Why do you keep accumulating stuff?

JMP

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 19
  • Likes Given: 62
« Reply #347 on: July 10, 2020, 07:14:26 AM »
New York Mayor paints "Black Lives Matter" in front of Trump Tower.

This is like when your heat goes out and the maintenance crew sweeps your walk instead of doing what they were hired to do.   

blumenkraft

« Reply #348 on: July 11, 2020, 04:27:36 PM »
How can one possibly defend cops after seeing this?

Police beating a man in hospital bed.

Link >> https://www.reddit.com/r/iamatotalpieceofshit/comments/hp5wqh/police_beating_a_man_in_hopsital_bed/

blumenkraft

« Reply #349 on: July 16, 2020, 07:32:08 PM »
Cops assaulting BLM protesters, including a man in a wheelchair. This happened yesterday in Downtown Los Angeles. One of the people injured in by police even had a seizure. Meanwhile, complicit media reported the arrested individuals (including the wheelchair guy) ATTACKED LAPD.

Link >> https://www.reddit.com/r/2020PoliceBrutality/comments/hrwunn/cops_assaulting_blm_protesters_including_a_man_in/