Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Northern Hemisphere Winter 2022-2023 Snowcover / Misc Obs  (Read 14981 times)

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5308
  • Likes Given: 69
Re: Northern Hemisphere Winter 2022-2023 Snowcover / Misc Obs
« Reply #50 on: May 26, 2023, 03:20:26 PM »
Snowcover continues to reduce fast.

Total snowcover now 13% below the 2000-2019 average
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2023, 03:11:34 PM »
Snowcover continues to reduce fast.

Total snowcover now 16.5% below the 2000-2019 average

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2023, 02:59:45 PM »
Snowcover continues to reduce fast, & by early July should be only a few scaps left on north facing high ground and sheltered valleys.

Total snowcover now 18.4% below the 2000-2019 average

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 04, 2023, 02:37:15 PM »
Snowcover is now at 9.45 million km2, 2.3 million km2, 24.6% below the 2000-2019 average of 11.73 milliom km2.

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 05, 2023, 07:46:30 PM »
Fast snowmelt continues.
Snowcover is now at 9.02 million km2, 2.36 million km2, 26.1%, below the 2000-2019 average of 11.38 million km2.

Comradez

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 60
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #55 on: June 06, 2023, 12:28:05 AM »
Based on EOSDIS imagery and CCI climate reanalyzer forecasts, despite the Alberta wildfire smoke, huge snow melt in the CAA is incoming this week.

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 07, 2023, 10:05:04 PM »
Fast snowmelt continues.
Snowcover is now at 8.17 million km2, 2.58 million km2, 31.5%, below the 2000-2019 average of 10.75 million km2.

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1017
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #57 on: June 08, 2023, 10:13:38 AM »
the way being prepared for a 'ring of fire' , tropical 'nights' on the shores of the Arctic basin . This season is quietly devastatingly destructive .
There is no death , the Son of God is We .

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 14, 2023, 03:01:41 PM »
Asia melt very fast, with only scraps of snowcover left in Siberia.

North America melt speeding up after a brief pause, with only scraps of snowcover left on mainland North America. Snowcover loss now visible on some of the CAA islands close to the Canadian shore.

click on image then click again for fullsize

Alexander555

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 185
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #59 on: June 17, 2023, 07:44:15 AM »
Is there any data about how much snow there is, in the area that flows into the arctic ? Like the Mackanzie river in Canada, or Siberia.....I remember BBR talking about the new ice age in North East Canada. And for a short periode he could be a little bit right. This warmer world can bring potentially more moisture further north. And if you look at Antartica. Probably it's not coincidence to have that blue colour in that area. That's where you have the extra fresh meltwater. The rest is mainly under influence of a warmer ocean.

Sebastian Jones

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 214
  • Likes Given: 159
« Reply #60 on: June 17, 2023, 07:57:53 AM »
Is there any data about how much snow there is, in the area that flows into the arctic ? Like the Mackanzie river in Canada, or Siberia.....I remember BBR talking about the new ice age in North East Canada. And for a short periode he could be a little bit right. This warmer world can bring potentially more moisture further north. And if you look at Antartica. Probably it's not coincidence to have that blue colour in that area. That's where you have the extra fresh meltwater. The rest is mainly under influence of a warmer ocean.
I like this site for a quick look at where the snow and ice are. Rather coarse scale, but fairly accurate. It shows that there really isn't any snow left in the Mackenzie basin, precious little on mainland Canada.
I'm not qualified to weigh in on the prospects of a new ice age related to increased winter snow, but I'm pretty sure that theory was shown to be flawed.
And I really don't know why there is a positive sea ice anomaly off that part of Antarctica.

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2053
  • Likes Given: 1990
« Reply #61 on: June 17, 2023, 02:45:31 PM »
I remember BBR talking about the new ice age in North East Canada. And for a short periode he could be a little bit right. This warmer world can bring potentially more moisture further north.

He did. The idea was that extra moisture would lead to much more snow which would then stay for longer and there you have the flaw in the argument. In the places where we had more snow in the last years it did not stay but mostly melted rather quickly. This is an unsurprising feature of a planet that is hotter then it used to be.

And if you look at Antarctica. Probably it's not coincidence to have that blue colour in that area. That's where you have the extra fresh meltwater. The rest is mainly under influence of a warmer ocean.

The Antarctic oceans are regular well mixed oceans so that is not it.

Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

Sebastian Jones

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 214
  • Likes Given: 159
« Reply #62 on: June 18, 2023, 08:22:38 AM »
Gaahhh- just noticed I omitted the link to the site I said I liked....
https://usicecenter.gov/Products/ImsHome

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 18, 2023, 09:23:31 AM »
Well that clears up that question.  ;)
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 20, 2023, 03:15:11 PM »
Snowcover loss basically stalled in the last 2 or 3 days.

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 28, 2023, 07:44:21 PM »
Snowcover loss slowed right down in the last few days by even more than the usual slow losses at the end of the snowcover melt season

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 30, 2023, 12:24:23 PM »
Significant decline of snow cover in the Northern hemisphere over the last half century

Understanding snow cover trends is important because of the role that snow plays in the global energy balance. Snow's high albedo -- the ability to reflect light -- and insulating characteristics affects surface temperatures on a regional scale and thermal stability on a continent-wide scale.

In the new study published in the Journal of Hydrometeorology, researchers analyzed snow cover data gathered from weekly satellite flyovers between 1967 (when satellites became more common) and 2021, which was divided into grid sections for analysis. Of the grids that researchers determined had reliable data, they found that snow cover is declining in nearly twice as many grids as it is advancing.

"In the Arctic regions, snow is going away more often than not -- I think climatologists sort of suspected this," Lund said. "But it's also going away at the southern boundaries of the continents."

In a study that took about four years to complete, the researchers show that snow presence in the Arctic and southern latitudes of the Northern hemisphere is generally decreasing, while some areas such as Eastern Canada are seeing an increase in snow cover. This could be due to increasing temperatures in areas that are typically very cold but still below freezing, allowing the atmosphere to hold more water, which then falls as snow.

Lund believes this is the first truly dependable analysis of snow cover trends in the Northern hemisphere due to the rigor of the researchers' statistical methods. It is often challenging for non-statisticians to extract trends from this type of satellite data, which comes as a sequence of 0s or 1s to indicate if snow was present during a certain week. The researchers also had to take correlation into account when looking at trends, as the presence of snow cover one week greatly affects the likelihood of snow cover the following week. These two factors were taken into account with a Markov chain based model. Accurate uncertainty estimates of the trends could be computed from the model. The researchers found hundreds of grids where snow cover was declining with at least 97.5% certainty.

However, they also found that some of the satellite data gathered in mountainous regions was unreliable, showing no snow in the winter and several weeks of snow in the winter. This was likely due to a flaw in the algorithm that processed the satellite data to determine if snow was present or not.

"The reason this study took a lot of work is because the satellite data is so doggone poor," Lund said. "Whatever the meteorologists did to estimate snow from the pictures in some of the mountainous regions just didn't work, so we had to take all the grids in the Northern hemisphere, and figure out whether the data was even trustworthy or not."

By determining which satellite data is unreliable, this study can serve as a resource to the scientific community who also may want to evaluate this snow cover data for their research.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2023/06/230629193256.htm

Not specific to this year but interesting.

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 09, 2023, 04:27:34 PM »
Snowcover as at 8th July from https://cryospherecomputing.com/

We are now in Summer 2023 snowmelt, with only scraps of snowcover left but some intersting observations.

Asia & Europe No snow cover left on mainland Siberia, apart from some tiny scraps. Melt extending North somewhat early onto some of the Russian islands, e.g. Novaya Zemla. Norway has lost most of its snowcover, also early. The great majority of snowcover remaining is on the Tibetan Plateau & the Himalaya.

North America On the mainland, apart from high altitudes in the Rockies and Alaska, nearly all snowcover gone.

Of great interest is the early loss of snowcover on many of the Western islands of the CAA and the South of Baffin Island.

The overall impression is of an earlier than average opening up of potential increases in land temperatures in the far North that given southerly winds would transport enhanced heat into the Arctic.