Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: The Far Right's Great White Arctic Sea Ice Con  (Read 275052 times)

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
  • Don't Vote NatC or PopCon, Save Lives!
    • View Profile
    • The Arctic sea ice Great White Con
  • Liked: 894
  • Likes Given: 87
Re: The Mail's Great White Arctic Sea Ice Con
« Reply #550 on: August 01, 2023, 04:08:30 PM »
The ice does not care what people talk about.

Be patient Kassy....

Did you click the helpful link I provided just upthread?

If so, what did you make of it?
"The most revolutionary thing one can do always is to proclaim loudly what is happening" - Rosa Luxemburg

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2053
  • Likes Given: 1990
« Reply #551 on: August 01, 2023, 04:24:16 PM »
It is about cherry picking on the internet (which the ice does not care about).
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

nadir

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 250
  • Likes Given: 37
« Reply #552 on: August 01, 2023, 04:39:47 PM »

It’s clickbait what they do with climate news, media have to use clickbaiting (they are in very poor shape and extreme events are very juicy bait). But my opinion is it’s a disservice and I just wanted to point that out, that it assists denier’s narratives like the example Jim Hunt brought (goddard aka Tony Heller?). Others here think the more alarmist the better? Ok I disagree.

The Walrus

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 150
  • Likes Given: 488
« Reply #553 on: August 01, 2023, 05:10:13 PM »

It’s clickbait what they do with climate news, media have to use clickbaiting (they are in very poor shape and extreme events are very juicy bait). But my opinion is it’s a disservice and I just wanted to point that out, that it assists denier’s narratives like the example Jim Hunt brought (goddard aka Tony Heller?). Others here think the more alarmist the better? Ok I disagree.

I agree with you nadir.  People want honesty, and the best practice is to give it to them.

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: August 01, 2023, 05:11:38 PM »

In general terms this whole topic is broadly concerned with "cherry picking [Arctic data] on the internet".

However the far end of the link I am patiently directing your attention towards offers rather more than that.
"The most revolutionary thing one can do always is to proclaim loudly what is happening" - Rosa Luxemburg

HapHazard

• Grease ice
  • Chillin' on Cold Mountain.
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 284
  • Likes Given: 5257
Re: The Far Right's Great White Arctic Sea Ice Con
« Reply #555 on: August 01, 2023, 08:50:21 PM »
I can't stand watching youtube etc. vids of narration. If I can't read it, I skip it. Sry Jim.
If I call you out but go no further, the reason is Brandolini's law.

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: August 01, 2023, 09:37:06 PM »
Cheers Mod!

It may well make sense eventually to spin out some of this to "politics", but in here the focus is definitely on the ice.

However 2 months ago I moved to a village with a "local" pub, and I'm just heading over there try out their menu for the first time.

More (much?) later.

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3589
  • Likes Given: 3943
« Reply #557 on: August 01, 2023, 11:14:28 PM »
Cheers Mod!
Sure. Sorry it was slightly delayed, for some reason I thought the thread was not in "my" domain, obviously wrong. And thanks for the personal reminder.

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: August 02, 2023, 12:23:27 AM »
2 months ago I moved to a village with a "local" pub, and I'm just heading over there try out their menu for the first time.

You learn something interesting every day. Hopefully.

I discovered that the kitchen at my local closes at 20:30. I arrived at 20:40. The bar lady rushed out to see if they could do me a plate of chips at least, but sadly everything was turned off and they were already washing up.

In the meantime, has nobody bothered to follow my helpful link? Or if someone did, was the import of the words of wisdom at the far end not immediately obvious?

According to a climate scientist at DMI, in the context of "Steve Goddard":

I gave up on that man years ago. He's had it explained to him over and over again. I can only conclude it's wilful ignorance now.

The graph was never supposed to be an outreach tool. It was put together by some colleagues for their own information and to compare with model/satellite sea ice results.

Can't put it back in the box now though. Too many people check it every day (and get very annoyed if you play with it)

How many times has "the graph was never supposed to be an outreach tool" [DMI T2 >80N] been republished on the ASIF over the last 10 years or so?

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: August 02, 2023, 12:28:18 AM »
I can't stand watching youtube etc. vids of narration.

NP HH. In "normal" circumstances I am fully in agreement with you.

However I do make exceptions, in exceptional circumstances. Like now for instance.

nadir

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: August 02, 2023, 02:16:35 AM »
I agree with you nadir.  People want honesty, and the best practice is to give it to them.

Thank you! I don’t get agreement often in this interesting Forum and I really welcome it.

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: August 02, 2023, 10:02:23 AM »
It may well make sense eventually to spin out some of this to "politics"

I've entered at my peril! Here you go:

"The information war with the fossil fuel industry"

Look dumbass. Al Gore says the Arctic is warming at 4 times the speed of the rest of planet, but the data says it's GETTING COLDER!

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1337
  • Likes Given: 618
« Reply #562 on: August 02, 2023, 10:26:15 AM »
I'd be grateful if you could find the time to watch Mr. James O'Brien's short video just above, and then let me (and anybody else who might be interested) know what you make of it?

Except for the annoying British pronunciation of 'Putin', there's nothing controversial in what the man said, I believe. Is he some right-leaning commentator who acknowledges AGW and criticises the British government of its greenwashing and inaction? Is that what makes this interesting?

Did you ever get around to watching Adam Curtis's latest BTW?

No, not yet, but I have downloaded it. I'll probably watch it during the holidays in a couple of weeks.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2023, 10:31:53 AM by Neven »
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: August 02, 2023, 10:34:27 AM »
Thanks Neven,

Except for the annoying British pronunciation of 'Putin', there's nothing controversial in what the man said, I believe. Is he some right-leaning commentator who acknowledges AGW and criticises the British government of its greenwashing and inaction? Is that what makes this interesting?

Mr. James O'Brien is generally considered to be "left of centre"! Certainly as far as UK MSM celebrities are concerned.

What makes this interesting is that, amongst other things, Nigel Farage's legal eagles have recently slapped a SLAPP suit on Frances Coppola. See the political thread op cit. above once imparting more detail on this interesting information rises to the top of my long TODO list.

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: August 02, 2023, 10:54:48 AM »

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: August 03, 2023, 02:01:17 PM »
Lots of the "usual suspects" are crawling out from under their dank slimy bridges. Malcolm Roberts and Bjorn Lomborg soiled my XTwitter timeline this morning, for example.

However, sticking with the Prime Suspect for now:

https://twitter.com/GreatWhiteCon/status/1687068843502379008
« Last Edit: August 03, 2023, 02:27:58 PM by Jim Hunt »

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: August 06, 2023, 08:51:07 AM »
Steve Milloy has also been promulgating Arctic "junk science" over on XTwitter, in this case regarding surface melt and mass balance of the Greenland ice sheet:

'Hottest month ever' left Greenland with snow accumulation higher than the 1981-2010 average.

The Arctic is supposed to be warming the fastest. But not during the 'hottest month ever'? With incredible North Atlantic warming?

Climate is ho-ho-hoax

"Snow White" felt honour bound to respond:

https://GreatWhiteCon.info/2023/08/the-information-war-with-the-fossil-fuel-industry/#Aug-04

Glen Koehler

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 738
  • Likes Given: 1414
« Reply #567 on: August 11, 2023, 08:38:00 PM »
     The acolytes of nihilism ("there is nothing but me & now") are working to keep us on the climate disruption trajectory.  Material from PragerU has been approved for use in Florida public schools, including K-5th grade.  There is a Sci. American story about this malfeasance at  https://climatecrocks.com/2023/08/08/in-florida-along-with-slaverys-good-points-a-climate-denial-curriculum/

The PragerU video linked below has a "Global Issues" tag which could presumably qualify it for use in science class indoctrination for 1st graders.  If I described how pernicious this slop is you would think I was exaggerating, so I won't bother.  See for yourself.  WARNING: 9 minutes of anti-science/climate denial/Holocaust-cheapening agitprop: 

Does anyone else find it odd that the heroine in the PragerU climate disinformation cartoon is the only character drawn with what is essentially a pubic hair patch?  I put nothing past these people.  The tobacco dealer's marketing to young kids with the Joe Camel penis and scrotum face cartoon character was no accident.  The cigarette manufacturers paid big bucks to psyops consultants to figure out how to addict new customers.  Those of us who have endured Trump for the past 8 years long ago realized that there is no bottom to the vortex of evil.  We can't ignore the propaganda war or destructive disinformation if we want to survive this crisis.

Answers to the oh-so-patiently-wise climate change rebuttal fronm Anias's parents to their needlessly overwrought daughter are all over the place for anyone interested enough to read or watch.  A good debunking of the "climate changed before humans so it can't be our fault" myth is available from Climate Adam at

As noted by Box and Anna Gilbert in their "Biggest Loser" video series comparing Greenland to Antarctic contributions to sea level rise, until we get to zero additional GHG emissions, the ASI and all us passengers on planet Earth are on a one-way trip to Loserville, population Us.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2023, 07:52:33 PM by Glen Koehler »
“What is at stake.... Everything, I would say." ~ Julienne Stroeve

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: August 14, 2023, 10:02:32 AM »
WARNING: 9 minutes of anti-science/climate denial/Holocaust-cheapening agitprop: 

Thanks for the heads up from across the pond Glen. The first half of your post at least probably belongs in the parallel "political" thread:

https://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php/topic,4034

Which reminds me that I'm falling behind in my reporting of the current Arctic porky pie production line...

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: August 14, 2023, 10:09:46 AM »
Down under Malcolm Roberts is now gleefully reXweeting "Steve Goddard's" continual stream of climate denial agitprop:

https://twitter.com/GreatWhiteCon/status/1689055054794252288

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #570 on: August 14, 2023, 10:38:35 AM »
"Steve"/Tony has also been quoting from a 2009 paper on "Arctic warming":

https://twitter.com/GreatWhiteCon/status/1689193326111834112

wallen

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 52
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #571 on: August 14, 2023, 12:44:03 PM »
Down under Malcolm Roberts is now gleefully reXweeting "Steve Goddard's" continual stream of climate denial agitprop:

https://twitter.com/GreatWhiteCon/status/1689055054794252288

Jim, I wouldn't bother with this imbecilic piece of fluff. While he is a senator within our Australian parliament. He is fortunately an insignificant flea in the system, with very little power.

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: August 15, 2023, 09:55:52 AM »
I wouldn't bother with this imbecilic piece of fluff.

Compare and contrast the reach of Heller & Roberts:

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: December 29, 2023, 01:12:46 PM »
Shock News!

Tony Heller is up to his old Arctic tricks yet again!!

https://GreatWhiteCon.info/2023/12/tony-heller-confirms-global-warming/

However he appears to have a new one up his voluminous sleeve. Providing empirical evidence that the IPCC's global warming “predictions” are correct!!!

See also ""Snow White's" XTwitter feed:

https://twitter.com/GreatWhiteCon/status/1740705771024003374

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: December 31, 2023, 08:28:18 PM »
An ignorant (or should that be malignant?) American has invoked Monty Python on XTwitter:

https://twitter.com/GreatWhiteCon/status/1741519999963935159

Stephan

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 759
  • Likes Given: 459
« Reply #575 on: January 02, 2024, 02:03:38 PM »
Why does the word "cherry picking" immediately comes into my mind?
It is too late just to be concerned about Climate Change

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: January 02, 2024, 04:31:38 PM »
Why does the word "cherry picking" immediately comes into my mind?

Because Mr. Heller is a master cherry picker, and his flock of faithful followers eagerly consume them without realising they are laced with poison?

Wrong fruit, but...

nadir

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: January 02, 2024, 07:39:52 PM »
To cherry-pick the last 10-15 years of Arctic SI extent minima reminds me of many folks, especially in mainstream media, cherry-picking the Antarctic Sea Ice extent minima of the last 6 years to make a point and write catastrophist articles about it.
I guess that’s why scientists have to use minimum 20-30 year span to make serious claims about climate change trends.

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: January 07, 2024, 08:52:36 PM »
It seems "Snow White" has greatly overestimated "Steve"/Tony's global fame:

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
WUWT's Great White Arctic Sea Ice Con
« Reply #579 on: January 22, 2024, 07:39:09 PM »
According to Jim Steele, reprinted at Watts Up With That yesterday:

As the natural Atlantic Multidecadal Oscillation shifts to more northern hemisphere cooling, a decrease in the flow of warming tropical Atlantic water entering the Arctic, a rebound in insulating Arctic sea ice will occur that will simultaneously decrease Arctic temperatures.

People who understand these natural climate dynamics that affect the Arctic, always and quickly understand the bogus global warming crisis is driven by natural Arctic warming oscillations.

https://GreatWhiteCon.info/2024/01/jim-steele-and-anthony-watts-embrace-bad-arctic-science/

Also according to Jim and Anthony, the Arctic temperature anomaly chart below is dated "November 2022"

Does the stupidity of these so called "skeptics" know no bounds?

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
Re: WUWT's Great White Arctic Sea Ice Con
« Reply #580 on: January 23, 2024, 10:27:26 AM »
Jim Steele is being unkind to poor Snow White, both at WUWT and on XTwitter:

https://GreatWhiteCon.info/2024/01/jim-steele-and-anthony-watts-embrace-bad-arctic-science/#Jan-23

He still hasn’t answered any of "her" scientific questions.

LOL?

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: January 25, 2024, 04:55:05 PM »
Jim Steele is still abusing poor innocent "Snow White" at WUWT:

https://GreatWhiteCon.info/2024/01/jim-steele-and-anthony-watts-embrace-bad-arctic-science/#Jan-25

Suffering nary a scratch, "she" responds with OHC.

LOL²?

« Last Edit: January 25, 2024, 06:58:55 PM by Jim Hunt »

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
Ron Clutz's Great White Arctic Sea Ice Con
« Reply #582 on: February 14, 2024, 12:40:19 PM »
Ron Clutz is waxing lyrical about how much sea ice there is in the Arctic at the moment.

"Snow White" disagrees of course. How long do you suppose it will be before Ron release "her" comment from his "moderation queue"?

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
Re: Ron Clutz's Great White Arctic Sea Ice Con
« Reply #583 on: February 15, 2024, 04:39:10 PM »
Rog (Tallbloke) Tattersall has "reposted" Ron's extract from an Arctic icebreaker's bilge.

Perhaps surprisingly, Rog is giving "Snow White" a fair crack of the whip on his blog. Where Ron delights in continually accusing "Snow" of being a heavily disguised "troll"!

Meanwhile on Mr. Clutz's own blog:

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
Re: Tony Heller's Great White Arctic Sea Ice Con
« Reply #584 on: March 18, 2024, 12:28:49 PM »
Tony Heller has just performed an astonishing feat of acrobatic agility.

He has just jumped an entire Fram Strait full of sharks!

"Snow White" commented:

https://GreatWhiteCon.info/2024/03/tony-heller-sets-arctic-shark-jump-world-record/

For Tony’s next astounding acrobatic accomplishment he has boldly undertaken to walk a tightrope from the mightiest of the Great White Con Ivory Towers, here on the shores of Santa’s secret summer swimming pool, to the tip of USS Skate’s tallest communications antenna.

With NO SAFETY NET!