Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Will we need a new widget?  (Read 806 times)

Tom_Mazanec

Will we need a new widget?
« on: July 05, 2020, 04:38:38 PM »
The widget at https://4hiroshimas.info/ which is often used by AGW sites (including Neven's) is up to 6,277,692,000 Big Bens Full of Dynamite. At the rate it is going it looks like it will pass 9,999,999,999 in ten or twelve years. Will the numbers roll over like an odometer, saying we have accumulated no Big Bens since 1998? Will they have to reformat the widget to fit eleven digits? Will they just have an "Over 9,999,999,999" notation like the McDonald's sign? How will we solve the 10G Problem?

blumenkraft

Re: Will we need a new widget?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2020, 06:05:49 PM »
This is how climate change will end. The end of the scale will be reached and then it will be over. Logical.

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2041
  • Likes Given: 1986
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2020, 06:58:56 PM »
If we actually were to run out of numbers you can just count with bigger bombs or just not use Big Bens Full of Dynamite as a metric (they always had shit trajectories anyway).

When i was a kid i had one handcomputer. Little thing with LCD screen and it played Pack Man. I played that a lot and after i while i got past a 1000 and then 1500 and on too the magic 2000.

But the bloody thing went from 1999 to 0.  >:(
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

JMP

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 19
  • Likes Given: 62
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2020, 07:37:23 AM »
We need a viable and better social media replacement for facebook etc.
This is the most important thing (imho) going forward.

We need the social media, liberal version, of the fox-news of social media, ASAP. 
Broadcast, cable, internet is already indistinguishable as each new platform to some extent subsumes its predecessors. 
There's nothing comparable to equal access to the airwaves nowadays. 
People already are increasingly becoming totally isolated and fed disinformation that feeds their preconceived ideas - to the destruction of truth, and reality, and comprehension of science. 

PBS is fine as it is, but is not nearly enough to make the needed difference in peoples understanding of reality, so that they might be able to fairly consider how to vote for their representatives.

Obviously many people will soon be asking why didn't anyone tell us?

And the answer, is they are being fed a steady diet of misinformation.     

The funding for the "information" that these people get comes almost entirely from the corporations that have the most to lose from our inevitable future reality.

Can't we do something about this?

Can a new social media platform be created (or does one exist) that can help to end this?