Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Glossary ... for newbies and others  (Read 104920 times)

gerontocrat

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3803
  • Likes Given: 29
Re: Glossary ... for newbies and others
« Reply #200 on: October 03, 2020, 09:21:15 PM »
CAS = Central Arctic Sea.  Used by NSIDC.  Which gerontocrat tells us is 3.2 km2 less than the CAB.  JAXA uses CAB right?
Whoops - we are talking about the division of the High Arctic into the 7 central seas
- see attached table & maps.

"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

Steven

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 199
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #201 on: October 03, 2020, 09:46:19 PM »
CAS = Central Arctic Sea.  Used by NSIDC.

Where does NSIDC call it "Central Arctic Sea"?  On their website they call it Central Arctic Basin (or briefly Central Arctic), just like everyone else. 

There are different ways to define the CAB (Wipneus uses a different definition than the NSIDC).  But I see no reason to add some non-existent "CAS" terminology that was made up by gerontocrat.  By that logic, you may as well rename Hudson Bay to Hudson Sea...

Glen Koehler

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 378
  • Likes Given: 804
« Reply #202 on: October 03, 2020, 11:35:49 PM »
   I hear you.  I was just responding to gerontocrat's CAS graphs and trying to clarify "CAS" vs CAB.  But apparently there is no such CAS label, just different definitions for CAB.  So I change that suggestion to a new one -- the glossary should note that CAB has different definitions between NSIDC and others.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2020, 12:02:43 AM by Glen Koehler »

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2385
  • Likes Given: 2029
« Reply #203 on: October 04, 2020, 12:04:08 AM »
Gero maybe you can replace CAS with CAB Central Arctic Basin (and Baffin Sea to Baffin Bay) in your publications? This will help clarify things by sticking to the common names.
I will add a clarification to CAB in the glossary regarding its contentious borders.

Glen Koehler

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 378
  • Likes Given: 804
« Reply #204 on: October 09, 2020, 08:25:56 PM »
   If the ASIF glossary is not limited to acronyms, even though gerontocrat restates the list in his updates, glossary definitions for
Central Arctic Seas (= Chukchi, Beaufort, CAA, East Siberian Sea, Central Arctic Basin, Laptev Sea, Kara Sea)
vs.
Peripheral Arctic Seas (=Okhotsk, Bering, Hudson Bay Baffin  Bay, Gulf of St. Lawernce, Greenland Sea, Barents Sea)
  would be useful to have in the glossary because that is where people are likely to go first when they encounter those terms and are looking for clarification.

Also worth noting in definition of the CAB that even though the Lincoln Sea is labeled as a separate entity (e.g. NSIDC map), for Extent/Area/Volume stats it is counted as part of the CAB.

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2385
  • Likes Given: 2029
« Reply #205 on: October 10, 2020, 10:03:51 AM »
Added entries for Peripheral Seas and for High Arctic. Edited CAA entry to include list of main waterways. Edited CAB to include mention of the Lincoln Sea - and the Wandel Sea...