Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Weird Weather and anecdotal stories about climate change  (Read 711308 times)

vox_mundi

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1203
  • Likes Given: 151
Re: Weird Weather and anecdotal stories about climate change
« Reply #3000 on: January 27, 2020, 04:24:29 AM »
Record Southeastern Brazil Rainstorms Kill 30
https://phys.org/news/2020-01-southeastern-brazil-rainstorms.html

At least 30 people have been killed in two days of intense storms in southeastern Brazil, the Minas Gerais state Civil Defense office said Saturday.

Seventeen people are also missing, seven injured, and some 3,500 have been forced out of their homes following a series of landslides and building collapses, Civil Defense officials said.

... Several highways have also been cut by the flooding, and scores of bridges have been knocked out.

The heavy rain and flooding is also hitting the nearby states of Rio de Janeiro and Espirito Santo.

Rainfall in the region has been the heaviest since records were first kept 110 years ago, the National Institute of Meteorology said. In one 24-hour period, the Minas Gerais state capital Belo Horizonte recorded 172 millimeters (almost seven inches) of rain.
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― Leonardo da Vinci

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late

Pmt111500

• Nilas ice
  • Yes, I do not always bicycle
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 119
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #3001 on: January 27, 2020, 02:23:15 PM »
Some plants are starting their spring bloom here in southwestern Finland, the Mezereum aka. February daphne aka spurge laurel and common hazel among others are in bloom record early. People are still complaining about the lack of snow and ice, and even I believe there's still time for a normal dump of Baltic Sea moisture as snow that'll make my personal locomotion hard and dangerous. I'll probably report here of it since it'll be the latest snows here.
Cooling the outside by heat pump.

philopek

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 262
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #3002 on: January 29, 2020, 11:02:19 PM »
Still nothing that could be called "Snow" this year.

Considering the fact that Prague has once been know as a really cold place in winter,
the current temps between a few below and a bit more above zero are a bad joke.

I've seen winters with -29C in the city and even lower in rural slightly higher areas.

At least beautiful places (and women) are always beautiful, no matter what  8)  ;)  ;D

charles_oil

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 28
  • Likes Given: 37
« Reply #3003 on: January 30, 2020, 11:55:11 AM »

(CNN)
Newly installed panels from
in high winds Wednesday, landing on trees on the Mexican side of the border.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/01/29/politics/us-border-wall-falls-over-high-winds/index.html

Certain irony here!

El Cid

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 234
  • Likes Given: 54
« Reply #3004 on: January 30, 2020, 12:05:25 PM »

Considering the fact that Prague has once been know as a really cold place in winter...

I've seen winters with -29C in the city and even lower in rural slightly higher areas.

Then you must be quite old, as the lowest official temp since 1981 in Prague is -27,6

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prague#Climate

And the 70s were very warm everywhere in Europe, no records at all. So it's the 60s or before

philopek

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 262
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #3005 on: January 30, 2020, 07:52:48 PM »

Considering the fact that Prague has once been know as a really cold place in winter...

Then you must be quite old, as the lowest official temp since 1981 in Prague is -27,6

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prague#Climate

And the 70s were very warm everywhere in Europe, no records at all. So it's the 60s or before

wouldn't expect anything else from you, "giftspritze" is the name i gave you over time.

i said -29 which was the temperatures my dashboard in the car showd back then and even the fact that that sensor is 20cm above ground and the official measurements are 2m above ground can account for that irrelevant difference.

further official temps are taken at comparable reliable spots like airports and so on, hence that does NOT mean that a few meters away from that spot temps can't be lower or higher.

i posted my own experience that i've seen with my own eyes and report from best knowledge with best and clean intentions.

your nitpicking post all over the place do NOT make you look so especially smart as you might think. it's just annoying and  whenever i open one of your "ignored" posts i find this confirmed and it's across the board, not even to do with specific people.

Nomen Est Omen when considering who "El Cid" was.

Last but not least, yes i'm over 70 but not yet 80. if that is VERY old depends on the observers take on it. I feel young and fit which i think is what counts ;)

EDIT: during winter 1996/1997 the official low at the airport was -23C in december. The airport is not the coldest spot in prag, in fact it's not even in prague really, it's way outside on an "alti plano"
Temperatures in the Vlatava valley are often way colder than up there, while on the other hand up at the airport is more windchill. Means, it feels often colder up there while in fact it's often colder down at the "Vlatava".

At that time my house was in "Zbrazlav" Praha 5 that is a bit up "Vltava" but is "Praha 5" and there its again cooler than down river in the city center.

Last but not least temps 20cm above ground are often way colder than 2m up hence the difference of 5C can easily be reached by measurement, location as well as topographic variations.

However that is, the point was it was definitely colder in Prague and central Europ 30 years ago than nowadays, no matter outliers and other details. It is obvious that this was the point of my post and the never ending nitpicking to simply search and find a hair in every soup is outright annoying.

After all my post was totally innocent and making a point that is hopefully common sense in this forum and more and more everywhere, hence there was no good reason for any kind of negative comments. At least i can say that the 28.xC that I rounded up to 29 showed in my car as well at the thermometer on my terrace about 1.5m above ground and of course I check accuracy of my thermometers regulary. To manage climate in my house in spain for example i use 10 thermometers to exactly know when to open/close windows as well as "jalousies" etc. this saves a lot of energy winter and summer while winter impact is smaller due to relatively moderate winter temps.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 12:05:00 PM by philopek »

El Cid

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3006 on: January 30, 2020, 09:56:22 PM »
You are right philopek, sometimes i am a mean asshole

sorry

Florifulgurator

• Frazil ice
  • Virtual world alter ego / अवतार of Martin Gisser
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 104
  • Likes Given: 58
« Reply #3007 on: January 31, 2020, 01:41:21 PM »
In the 1980ies we had -30°C in SE flatland Bavaria. Prague must have been at least that cold.

In the 2000s I moved uphill to enjoy some decent winter. Meanwhile even there the good winters are gone. Havent used my snow shoes for years.
Google image search on my avatar image gives "wood". In fact it is the lower part of David Hilbert's tombstone.

kassy

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 673
  • Likes Given: 499
« Reply #3008 on: February 01, 2020, 04:46:16 PM »
No winter so far in the Netherlands.

In a followup to Reply #2891 on: December 07, 2019 today i saw a new batch of young ducks (6 about a week old). So basically their mating season did not stop this year...

Also Jan 31st was a record day at 12,5 C old record 12,1 in 1990.
https://www.nu.nl/binnenland/6027771/warmste-31-januari-ooit-gemeten-maand-was-verder-somber-en-zacht.html
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

bosbas

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #3009 on: February 01, 2020, 06:02:41 PM »
Meanwhile my family from Dubbo, Australia just moved permanently to a cooler place. I wonder how much migration will be caused by the bushfires and the drought.

Aluminium

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 395
  • Likes Given: 278
« Reply #3010 on: February 02, 2020, 10:35:08 AM »
Endless autumn in Saint Petersburg continues.
November: +1.9°С.
December: +1.8°С.
January: +1.5°С. 2.0°С above previous highest (1925).

Shared Humanity

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 517
  • Likes Given: 55
« Reply #3011 on: February 02, 2020, 05:32:15 PM »
10:30 a.m. in Chicago
Currently 45 F / 7.2 C
Forecast high 51 F / 10.5 C

We have not had a winter in Chicago....

The Walrus

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 8
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3012 on: February 02, 2020, 06:00:14 PM »
Most of the mid-latitudes have had a mild winter.  This can be tied to a strongly positive AO.  Cold air has been bottled up in the Arctic.  Consequently, Alaska and northern Canada have been quite cold, and Arctic sea ice has extended beyond recent years.

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 255
  • Likes Given: 315
« Reply #3013 on: February 02, 2020, 06:05:33 PM »
We just had the cloudiest January on record here in Minneapolis.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 08:07:59 PM by wili »
"A force de chercher de bonnes raisons, on en trouve; on les dit; et après on y tient, non pas tant parce qu'elles sont bonnes que pour ne pas se démentir." Choderlos de Laclos "You struggle to come up with some valid reasons, then cling to them, not because they're good, but just to not back down."

El Cid

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3014 on: February 02, 2020, 07:27:52 PM »
The last time we had such a warm winter in the midlatitude NH was 2006/7. You know what happened afterwards in the Arctic...

be cause

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 348
  • Likes Given: 258
« Reply #3015 on: February 02, 2020, 07:32:38 PM »
^^ exactly ..
2007 + 5 = 2012 + 4 = 2016 + 3 = 2019 + 2 = 2021 
 (phew)

nanning

• Nilas ice
  • 0Kg CO2, 35 KWh/wk,130L H2O/wk, No heating
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 230
  • Likes Given: 10952
« Reply #3016 on: February 03, 2020, 08:37:50 AM »
In Friesland in the north of the Netherlands 53°, ca. 68mi/110Km north of Amsterdam:
08u30 UTC+1:00
Currently        47.5°F/8.6°C
Forecast high 48.2°F/9.0°C

We have had no winter here. Not 1 frost-day and no snow.
>90% of the time overcast and high winds of 4,5,6 Bft.

I long for calm weather and sunshine. Preferably with ice and snow.
The recently started birds' singing gives much joy and comfort.
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly" - Bertrand Russell
   Simple: minimize your possessions and be free and kind    It's just a mindset.       Refugees welcome

KiwiGriff

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 282
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #3017 on: February 03, 2020, 09:21:49 AM »
While you are all missing winter NZ is having an extreme  summer .
Temperatures have been nudging 30 C up here in the north .Normally we hover around 25C
Gisborn hit 39C yesterday .

Right down south Milford is in a state of emergency  after 350mm of rain washed out large portions of the road. Another 350mm forecast for tomorrow.
https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-zealand/state-emergency-declared-heavy-rain-and-flooding-slams-milford-sound

We are also in drought here in the north.

be cause

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3018 on: February 03, 2020, 09:49:06 AM »
norn' Ireland , 2.30 am I went for a walk under the stars . Absurdly it was 10'C .. b.c.
 (phew)

KiwiGriff

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 282
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #3019 on: February 04, 2020, 09:09:52 AM »
The nearest city 50km from here .
Whangārei has recorded its hottest ever temperature, reaching 33.5 degrees Celsius on Tuesday.
The recording was made at Whangārei Airport, about 8km outside the city.
It was a "significant increase" on the city's previous record of 31.8C, MetService said.

More than a meter of rain has fallen in Milford sound over two days.
All of southland is now under a state of emergency due to flooding.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/southland-times/southland-top-stories/119267763/state-of-emergency-declared-in-southland-as-water-levels-rise

gerontocrat

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2219
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #3020 on: February 04, 2020, 06:40:19 PM »
And a little video from NZ South Island

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/04/new-zealand-100-hikers-cut-off-after-deluge-destroys-roads-and-sparks-landslides
New Zealand: 100 hikers cut off after deluge destroys roads and sparks landslides
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

vox_mundi

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3021 on: February 04, 2020, 10:40:45 PM »
January 2020 Warmest On Record: EU Climate Service
https://phys.org/news/2020-02-january-warmest-eu-climate.html

Last month was the warmest January on record globally, while in Europe temperatures were a balmy three degrees Celsius above the average January from 1981 to 2010, the European Union's climate monitoring system reported Tuesday.

Across a band of countries stretching from Norway to Russia, temperatures were an unprecedented 6C above the same 30-year benchmark, Copernicus Climate Change Service (C3S) reported in a statement.

https://climate.copernicus.eu/surface-air-temperature-january-2020

“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― Leonardo da Vinci

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late

edmountain

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 21
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #3022 on: February 04, 2020, 10:52:09 PM »
January 2020 Warmest On Record: EU Climate Service
https://phys.org/news/2020-02-january-warmest-eu-climate.html

Last month was the warmest January on record globally, while in Europe temperatures were a balmy three degrees Celsius above the average January from 1981 to 2010, the European Union's climate monitoring system reported Tuesday.

These data would seem to be more empiric and less "weird and anecdotal"--which makes it all the more concerning.

vox_mundi

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3023 on: February 07, 2020, 06:48:12 PM »
Argentine Antarctica Has Hottest Day On Record
https://phys.org/news/2020-02-argentine-antarctica-hottest-day.html

Argentine Antarctica had its hottest day on record Thursday since readings began (114 years), the National Meteorological Service said.

Temperatures climbed to 18.3 degrees Celsius (64.9 degrees Fahrenheit) at midday at the research station Esperanza base, the highest temperature on record since 1961, according to the meteorological service.

The previous record stood at 17.5 degrees on March 24, 2015.

... At Argentina's Marambio base, temperatures reached 14.1 degrees Celsius on Thursday, the hottest temperature for a day in February since 1971. The previous record occurred on February 24, 2013, when temperatures reached 13.8 degrees.

be cause

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3024 on: February 09, 2020, 03:59:06 PM »
Al jaz. headline .. state of emergency declared in Pakistan .. the Locusts have blown in ... b.c.
 (phew)

Gray-Wolf

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 79
  • Likes Given: 241
« Reply #3025 on: February 09, 2020, 09:33:00 PM »
Another major flood ripped through the Calder Valley again today

We are only 6 months away from completion of our flood defense works here in Mytholmroyd as well!

Storm Ciara.....
KOYAANISQATSI

ko.yaa.nis.katsi (from the Hopi language), n. 1. crazy life. 2. life in turmoil. 3. life disintegrating. 4. life out of balance. 5. a state of life that calls for another way of living.

VIRESCIT VULNERE VIRTUS

vox_mundi

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3026 on: February 10, 2020, 04:05:54 AM »
Sydney Hit by Heaviest Rainfall in 30 Years
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-51439175

The Australian city of Sydney has been hit by its heaviest rain in 30 years, bringing flooding and travel chaos and forcing thousands from their homes.

The state weather agency said 391.6mm (15.4 in) of rain had fallen in the past four days, and warned of potentially life-threatening flash floods.

About 100,000 homes have also been left without power.

... Thousands of people in low-lying areas of the city have been told to leave or get ready to leave their homes.

The Northern Beaches area has already seen significant damage, with several metres of beach being washed away in places.

On Sunday night, people living around the Narrabeen Lagoon, a low-lying area in northern Sydney, were told to evacuate before roads became impassable.

Waves more than 5m high have lashed the coast in areas like Collaroy, just south of Narrabeen, stripping away front gardens facing the sea.

vox_mundi

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3027 on: February 10, 2020, 02:51:21 PM »
Potential Record Gust of 209 mph (336 kph) Recorded at California Peak
https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-02-09/potential-record-gust-california-peak-kirkwood-mountain-south-lake-tahoe?_amp=true

SOUTH LAKE TAHOE, Calif. —  A gust of 209 mph (336 kph) was recorded atop a California peak on Sunday, a potential record that wowed forecasters monitoring a cold storm moving south through the state.

The blast of wind was captured around 7:45 a.m. by an instrument at 9,186 feet on Kirkwood Mountain south of Lake Tahoe, said National Weather Service forecaster Alex Hoon.

He and his colleagues at the NWS office in Reno watched in surprise as wind speeds across the crest of the Sierra Nevada hit 150 mph and kept rising.

“It went up and up,” Hoon said. It could take months for state climatologists to verify the record, he said.

The previous record was a gust of 199 mph at Ward Mountain west of Lake Tahoe on Nov. 16, 2017.

grixm

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 95
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #3028 on: February 11, 2020, 12:27:13 PM »
We just broke the record for sea level in some parts of Norway, as well as close to the lowest ever surface air pressure. This is after a separate top-10-ever sea level event just a few weeks ago.

And january broke temperature and precipitation records as well. We've had exactly zero days of persisting snow in my city (Bergen) so far this winter even though there are usually weeks of it most years. It's been a weird start of the year.

kassy

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3029 on: February 11, 2020, 01:16:51 PM »
Also no winter in the Netherlands...it will be interesting to see what spring brings.
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

be cause

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3030 on: February 11, 2020, 01:48:19 PM »
Ist snow proper of the 'winter' here in N. Ireland .. sun just out so rapid melt underway :)  .. b.c.
 (phew)

blumenkraft

• Young ice
  • Fans of Hans Ø Club - circa 2018
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1040
  • Likes Given: 1573
« Reply #3031 on: February 11, 2020, 02:23:42 PM »
The weather forecast for the weekend is 16˚C.

We are experiencing April like weather here in middle Europe. It's uncanny.

Beware, this user bites.

kassy

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3032 on: February 11, 2020, 02:42:14 PM »
I am wondering about the rivers in summer. We have low snow cover in Europe so that is probably true for the Alps too. If the spring/summer set up is like 2 years ago that might mean shipping problems again.

Might be an interesting wake up call.

Gray-Wolf

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 79
  • Likes Given: 241
« Reply #3033 on: February 11, 2020, 03:02:56 PM »
If Europe is to see high temps over summer then any fall off in air travel Coronavirus might drive could add into the top temps recorded.....

Here in the UK, apart from our Floods last weekend, the weather has been positively 'springlike' (even these 'April Snow showers' atm!) meaning the fields have stayed green all year with none of the 'yellowing late winter generally brings....
KOYAANISQATSI

ko.yaa.nis.katsi (from the Hopi language), n. 1. crazy life. 2. life in turmoil. 3. life disintegrating. 4. life out of balance. 5. a state of life that calls for another way of living.

VIRESCIT VULNERE VIRTUS

kassy

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3034 on: February 11, 2020, 03:58:03 PM »
The large scale weather pattern has been very persistent with the cold in the Arctic, Canada and Far East Siberia (just from watching NH 2M temps).

And we just had a short mini hailstorm (nicely rounded but small) but it already melted.   :)

vox_mundi

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3035 on: February 11, 2020, 10:56:12 PM »
Spring Is Here... But It's Still Winter
https://earther.gizmodo.com/spring-is-here-but-its-still-winter-1841605892

We’re more than a month out from the official start of spring, but that hasn’t stopped it from popping up earlier than expected. The USA National Phenology Network released data Monday showing that spring has arrived across the Southeast earlier than at any point in the last 39 years. Leaves and flowers appearing this early in the year could spell trouble for crops and wildlife in the region.

https://www.usanpn.org/news/spring

-------------------------------

Northern Hemisphere faces 4-fold rise in extreme heat periods: study
https://phys.org/news/2020-02-northern-hemisphere-fold-extreme-periods.html

Researchers in China analysed temperature data from the Northern Hemisphere—home to 90 percent of humanity—stretching back to 1960.

They found a clear upward trend in the frequency and intensity of compound hot days and nights, defined as days in which the temperature high and low were both in the top 10 percent of those registered between 1960-2012.

Even if greenhouse gas emissions are brought in line with the goals of the landmark Paris accord, which aims to cap global warming below two Degrees Celsius (3.6 Farenheit), the team found that such exceptionally warm 24-hour periods were likely to quadruple by 2100.

This equates to a rise of human exposure to compound hot extremes from 19.5 billion person-days last decade to around 74 billion days in the 2090s, the researchers said.

Anthropogenically-driven increases in the risks of summertime compound hot extremes
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-019-14233-8

-----------------------------

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 630
  • Likes Given: 263
« Reply #3036 on: February 12, 2020, 10:08:15 PM »
NWS OPC (@NWSOPC) 2/12/20, 1:10 PM
Rapidly intensifying low pressure clipping southern Newfoundland, forecast to deepen 46 mb over the next 24 hours into the central Atlantic. Marine hazards next 24 hours include hurricane-force winds to 80 kt, significant wave heights increasing to near 50 ft. #MarineWx
https://twitter.com/nwsopc/status/1227656213728391168
- latest OPC surface analysis from 12z / Feb 12, high seas text forecast included
[Image below.]

Yesterday:
Alicia M Bentley: "It's pretty difficult to get a <-4σ standardized MSLP anomaly in the North Atlantic during the winter. If this forecast verifies, we could see a 927-hPa cyclone with hurricane-force winds at 1800 UTC on February 15th!”
https://mobile.twitter.com/aliciambentley/status/1227270399508934657

Current GFS (below) shows two storms merging together on the 15th.
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

vox_mundi

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3037 on: February 12, 2020, 10:34:55 PM »
Storms of our grandchildren are coming early  :o

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3038 on: February 13, 2020, 01:21:40 AM »

kassy

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3039 on: February 13, 2020, 01:34:12 PM »
A French ski resort has been forced to close its ski runs in mid-season as there has been "no snow" for a second year running.

The daytime temperature at the Le Mourtis resort in the Pyrenees mountains was above 10C (50F) earlier this week

https://news.sky.com/story/french-ski-resort-closes-slopes-over-no-snow-for-second-year-in-a-row-11932955

vox_mundi

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3040 on: February 13, 2020, 06:10:26 PM »
Antarctic Temperature Rises Above 20C for First Time on Record
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/13/antarctic-temperature-rises-above-20c-first-time-record

The Antarctic has registered a temperature of more than 20C (68F) for the first time in history, prompting fears of climate instability in the world’s greatest repository of ice.

The 20.75C logged by Brazilian scientists at Seymour Island on 9 February was almost a full degree higher than the previous record of 19.8C, taken on Signy Island in January 1982.

It follows another recent temperature record: on 7 February an Argentinian research station at Esperanza measured 18.3C, which was the highest reading on the continental Antarctic peninsula.

... “We are seeing the warming trend in many of the sites we are monitoring, but we have never seen anything like this,” said Carlos Schaefer, who works on Terrantar, a Brazilian government project that monitors the impact of climate change on permafrost and biology at 23 sites in the Antarctic.

gerontocrat

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3041 on: February 14, 2020, 04:55:26 PM »
They only get Dennis the Menace for a day. The Metoffice promise us in the UK 3 days of this misery.
Red Weather Alert in Large Part of Iceland
A red weather alert is in effect for the capital area, South Iceland, Faxaflói, and Southeast Iceland.

The red warning will be in effect for the capital area until 11 am, followed by an orange one until 2 pm. No travel is advised during this time. The wind speed this morning is 20-30 m/sec in the capital area.

In South Iceland, the red warning is good until noon and an orange one till 2 pm. Hurricane-force winds of 28-35 m/sec are in the area this morning and dangerous wind gusts. There is snow and blowing snow and poor visibility.

In the Faxaflói area, the red warning is in effect till noon and an orange one till 5 pm. The area is seeing wind speeds of 28-35 m/sec this morning, along with dangerous wind gusts. There is snow and blowing snow and poor visibility.

In Southeast Iceland, a red warning is in effect till 11 am and an orange one till 1 pm. There are hurricane-force winds of 28-35 m/sec in the area, as well as dangerous wind gusts, snow, blowing snow and poor visibility.

For the rest of the country, an orange weather alert has been issued through the evening hours.

People are advised to remain indoors as much as possible while the red and orange warnings are in effect. Numerous roads are closed, there is no international or domestic flight service this morning, and all Strætó bus service in the capital area has been canceled this morning. No departures are scheduled from Keflavík International Airport until 4 pm.

& It takes a lot to keep Icelanders at home.....

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3042 on: February 18, 2020, 08:04:00 PM »
Georgia, U.S.
NWS Atlanta (@NWSAtlanta) 2/17/20, 7:57 PM
It's going to rain tomorrow (2/18). Again. We have accepted our fate and are preparing for the second coming of Cthulhu. Rain amounts will range with the highest totals across the central part of the state. #gawx
https://twitter.com/nwsatlanta/status/1229570509312069632

gerontocrat

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3043 on: February 18, 2020, 09:13:35 PM »
On the other hand.....

Friday's Weather Map May Be Blank From Coast to Coast
Friday's weather across the Lower 48 is forecast to be so quiet that weather maps are showing up virtually blank. You can see for yourself in the map . Other than perhaps a few showers along the Southeast coast, it's as if the continental United States has a massive deflector shield for rain or snow Friday.
https://www.wunderground.com/article/safety/winter/news/2020-02-18-blank-weather-map-explained

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3044 on: February 19, 2020, 01:29:35 AM »
U.S., Florida.  32.2°C
NWS Miami (@NWSMiami) 2/18/20, 4:48 PM
Feb 18 @ 445pm - Today's high of 90 degrees at Naples set a new daily maximum temperature record. This is also the earliest on record that Naples has observed a high temperature of 90 degrees or greater. #flwx
https://twitter.com/nwsmiami/status/1229885543149752321

blumenkraft

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3045 on: February 22, 2020, 11:04:46 AM »
I've never seen this huge willow near my house greening in February but here we are.

We are at least one month early vegetation wise.
Beware, this user bites.

nanning

• Nilas ice
  • 0Kg CO2, 35 KWh/wk,130L H2O/wk, No heating
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 230
  • Likes Given: 10952
« Reply #3046 on: February 22, 2020, 11:18:18 AM »
^^
You mean it is having leaves already? That would be astonishing. Can you please take a photo of it?
I've seen a lot of buds but no leaves. The first leaves should appear mid April.
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly" - Bertrand Russell
   Simple: minimize your possessions and be free and kind    It's just a mindset.       Refugees welcome

blumenkraft

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3047 on: February 22, 2020, 12:03:09 PM »
Will see if i can make a photo later, Nanning.

It's too far away for the iPhone. Have to charge the real camera first.
Beware, this user bites.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3048 on: February 23, 2020, 03:19:29 AM »
Canary Islands

Flightradar24 (@flightradar24) 2/22/20, 1:42 PM
Gran Canaria Airport has been closed for 2 hours because of a dust storm reducing visibility at the airport
https://twitter.com/flightradar24/status/1231288253732573184
Cool hi-res color satellite gif at the subtweet — see cloud formation as the dust over the ocean becomes intense.

Fraser Thom (@fraserthomcoach) 2/22/20, 1:47 PM

In the Canary Islands it’s called “calima”, sand blown across the Atlantic ocean from Africa. Today in Lanzarote has been horrible, some say the worst calima ever on the island.

blumenkraft

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3049 on: February 23, 2020, 10:57:55 AM »
^^
You mean it is having leaves already? That would be astonishing. Can you please take a photo of it?
I've seen a lot of buds but no leaves. The first leaves should appear mid April.

Nanning, i managed to charge the camera, went there and found it's not the willow greening but the tree right behind it. Don't know what this one is called.

Converted the RAW to GIF to make the file smaller, don't expect it to move. ;)

Beware, this user bites.