Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Weird Weather and anecdotal stories about climate change  (Read 1205362 times)

nanning

• Nilas ice
  • 0Kg CO₂, 37 KWh/wk,125L H₂O/wk, No offspring
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 273
  • Likes Given: 23170
Re: Weird Weather and anecdotal stories about climate change
« Reply #3050 on: February 23, 2020, 04:21:37 PM »
Thank you for the effort blumenkraft. I don't know which tree either. Perhaps some forum member knows?
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly" - Bertrand Russell
"It is preoccupation with what other people from your groups think of you, that prevents you from living freely and nobly" - Nanning
Why do you keep accumulating stuff?

Pmt111500

« Reply #3051 on: February 23, 2020, 05:53:34 PM »
Possibly some sort of elderberry mistaking spring signs.
https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vlier_(geslacht)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 06:01:14 PM by Pmt111500 »

El Cid

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 925
  • Likes Given: 227
« Reply #3052 on: February 23, 2020, 07:27:13 PM »
It is likely elderberry. They are also starting to show green shoots now here.
I love elderberry lemonade!!! (soak the flowers in water for a night and then use this water to make lemonade)

Avalonian

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 26
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #3053 on: February 23, 2020, 08:09:03 PM »
It is likely elderberry. They are also starting to show green shoots now here.
I love elderberry lemonade!!! (soak the flowers in water for a night and then use this water to make lemonade)

The Elder is about the same stage here in the middle of Wales. Slightly waterlogged, but still waiting for winter...

blumenkraft

« Reply #3054 on: February 23, 2020, 10:55:25 PM »
Thanks, everyone!

TIL! :)

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1047
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3055 on: February 24, 2020, 02:19:07 AM »
Maples and pussy willow and river birch putting out buds in ohio

sidd

Niall Dollard

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 463
  • Likes Given: 117
« Reply #3056 on: February 25, 2020, 12:27:26 AM »
Never ending amount of records being broken at weather stations throughout Europe this winter. Just a few I've collated:

* Austria. The mountain station at Sonnblick (3106m ASL) set a new February alltime max of +3.6 C on 16/02/20. Records date back to 1886.

* Austria. Innsbruck Airport recorded a max of 20.5 C yesterday 23rd Feb. This was just shy of the old record of 20.6 C set on a sunny day back on 24th Feb 2008. But what made Innsbruck 2020 temperature all the more remarkable was that it was set on a day without sunshine and was set during the nighttime at circa 9pm local time.

* Switzerland. A provisional new national February max record was set today at Biasca. 24.6 C

* France. Numerous stations today set new February station records eg. Nimes 25.1 C .The old record of 24.6 C was set, yes you've guessed it, just last year on 28/02/2019.

It seems like some places will be setting new monthly records every year !
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 01:13:33 AM by Niall Dollard »

Pmt111500

« Reply #3057 on: February 28, 2020, 06:11:06 AM »
Coldest thus far this winter. ~6 degrees warmer than previously (that I can remember, it's possible one winter highest low in the early 70s was as warm. No snow on ground.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 06:38:28 AM by Pmt111500 »

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1160
  • Likes Given: 430
« Reply #3058 on: February 29, 2020, 03:03:17 AM »
Eric Fisher (@ericfisher) 2/28/20, 5:27 PM
One more day to go in the climatological season. Looks like a lot of the country had a Top 10 warmest winter on record.
Just about all of the Lower 48 was at or warmer than average
https://twitter.com/ericfisher/status/1233519178784673793
Temperature Rank, and Anomaly, maps below.

Eric Fisher (@ericfisher) 2/28/20, 5:31 PM
Global view. Warm as the Lower 48 was, it was even more unusual/record setting across Europe and Asia. Meanwhile Alaska stayed in the freezer and stands out as the cold spot.
Global map below.
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

blumenkraft

« Reply #3059 on: March 01, 2020, 03:50:19 PM »
First year without ice wine in all of Germany

"The 2019 vintage will go down in history in Germany as the first year in which the ice harvest has failed nationwide," says Ernst Büscher from the German Wine Institute (DWI) in Bodenheim near Mainz.

Link >> https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.swr.de%2Fswraktuell%2Frheinland-pfalz%2Fmainz%2FZu-milde-Winter-schaden-Winzer-Erster-Jahrgang-ohne-Eiswein-in-ganz-Deutschland%2Ckein-eiswein-100.html

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3060 on: March 01, 2020, 03:52:18 PM »
Climate change lengthens Australian summers by 50%: study
Over the last two decades, summer across most of Australia has been on average one month longer than half a century ago, while winter has contracted by an average three weeks.

Over the past five years, the analysis showed, Australian summers were on average 50% longer than they were in the mid-twentieth century based on temperature readings.

“Our findings are not a projection of what we may see in the future,” said Richie Merzian, climate and energy program director at the Australia Institute. “It’s happening right now.” ...
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-climate-change-australia-summer-idUSKBN20O1RC

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3061 on: March 02, 2020, 10:25:52 AM »
Februari 2020
Netherlands, KNMI station of Leeuwarden (more data when you click on the day)
  • Record amount of rainfall for Februari:    154.7  mm
  • Record average windspeed for all months:  7.87 m/s  (26.5 Km/h ; 16.6 mph)

I cannot prove this because there's no database to query. Above numbers are from the above mentioned online non-queryable KNMI database.

The KNMI is our national meteorological institute. In contrast to other meteorological offices, they are absent in education, online information and forecasts. The general people of the Netherlands know hardly anything about AGW and mass extinction.
Furthermore no books can be found about these subjects in bookshops and public libraries. I have not searched all libraries but this is true for all bookshops I have visited. To parapraise Greta Thunberg: Government has to tell the truth !
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly" - Bertrand Russell
"It is preoccupation with what other people from your groups think of you, that prevents you from living freely and nobly" - Nanning

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #3062 on: March 02, 2020, 11:40:09 AM »
We've experienced minor problems with ice buildup from the still unfrozen Lake Erie.

Terry

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2053
  • Likes Given: 1989
« Reply #3063 on: March 02, 2020, 01:43:50 PM »
Looks awesome.

#nanning the selection is pretty crap indeed. One copy of Six Degrees of Warming and 0 of James Hansens Storms of my Grandchildren and that is public libraries nationwide. I would never have thought it was so bad...  >:(

Might check out what our big bookstore offers in the city. Selection was always pretty small. They usually had something but not the easier general introduction books. I did once give SOMG as a present but had to order that via BOL.com as it was out of stock for the whole bookstore chain at that moment.
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3064 on: March 02, 2020, 05:10:10 PM »
Yeah check it out. I'm curious whether you'll experience the same omissions.
The American Book Center and Atheneum in Amsterdam didn't have any in 2018. In Leeuwarden the bookshop Van Der Velde doesn't have any.

I don't watch T.V.. If you do, can you say if the subject is mentioned there? And to what extent and depth? Sorry for all these questions kassy, I find this a very bad situation and want to be sure. Almost everything is entertainment it seems.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3065 on: March 02, 2020, 08:23:22 PM »
Bill McKibben on Twitter: "For the first time in 200 years of record-keeping, the temperature in Moscow averaged above 32F for the winter.
In Finland, no snow in Jan/Feb
In Germany, ice-wine harvest failed because no ice

[Washington Post article: ] https://t.co/tiU7F3xODH
https://mobile.twitter.com/billmckibben/status/1234530155265220609

U.S.:  NWS Eastern Region on Twitter: "February 2020 was one for the record books across some areas of the East in terms of a lack of snow. Baltimore (BWI) MD and Islip NY recorded no snow in Feb for the 1st time. JFK and LGA airports in NYC and Atlantic City NJ needed the leap day to see their only Feb snow flurries.”
https://mobile.twitter.com/nwseastern/status/1234173182187393024
Data at the link.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 08:28:45 PM by Sigmetnow »

KiwiGriff

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 710
  • Likes Given: 380
« Reply #3066 on: March 02, 2020, 08:27:18 PM »
Here in northern NZ it is a record dry spell.
North drought: Auckland breaks record, Whangārei driest summer since WWII.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/environment/climate-news/119936610/northland-drought-whangrei-records-driest-summer-since-wwii
I am doing ok we added an extra  30,000 l rainwater tank for domestic use when we moved on.
The spring for stock water is still flowing in the back paddock I can not use the front two paddocks as the stock water pond is getting very near to dry.
The weather seems to have broken we are getting some light rain daily not enough to full tanks but at lest it stops the ground getting any dryer .

Animals can be driven crazy by placing too many in too small a pen. Homo sapiens is the only animal that voluntarily does this to himself.
Notebooks of Lazarus Long.
Robert Heinlein.

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1017
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #3067 on: March 02, 2020, 11:50:40 PM »
and in the opposite corner .. Northern Ireland , we are proud to report our wettest ever month .. and on the 29th .. Jorge folded my mobile home roof down the middle .. a fun challenge for my  heart .. b.c.

p,s,  could we meet in the middle , KiwiGriff ?
There is no death , the Son of God is We .

P-maker

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 72
« Reply #3068 on: March 03, 2020, 12:52:52 AM »
Just to add a little bit to the weirdness observed:

Denmark has had it's wettest February, winter and autumn ever observed. The new standard normal precipitation for February is 32 percent higher than the previous one. The new standard normal temperature for February (1991-2020) is 1.5 C higher than the 1961-90 standard normal - a remarkable and of course unprecedented change.

TV presenters and climatologists are struggling to explain both the reasons and the implications. We are at an inflection point. Adaptation alone to all this water is not enough and mitigation of this drastic temperature change is too late. We need to make the right choices every time we try to increase our resilience, but the challenge is one of the tougher ones.

https://www.dr.dk/mu-online/api/1.4/bar/5e58f1877140141b68d8977a

(Danish subtitles)

« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 01:01:09 AM by P-maker »

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3069 on: March 05, 2020, 01:50:37 PM »
Moscow Didn't Get a Winter This Year

Moscow just had its first winter in recorded history with average temperatures above freezing, running a blistering 6.3 degrees Celsius (11.3 degrees Fahrenheit) above average. The heat wasn’t isolated either, with other parts of Eurasia all experiencing freakish warmth and low snowpack.

The temperature anomaly this winter effectively doubles the old one, making this a no-doubter for the record books, which stretch back 140 years, according to Russian news agency TASS. Both December and January were the warmest ever recorded. Snow has also been MIA, forcing the Russian capital to truck in a few piles for New Year’s Eve celebrations.

https://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2020/03/moscow-didnt-get-a-winter-this-year/
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

Pmt111500

« Reply #3070 on: March 08, 2020, 07:07:01 PM »
Just got my first stings of nettle this year. Mind you, this is Finland and usually we've got some snow melting to do this time of year. I don't know the average since it's so variable, but stinging nettles early in March is a new thing.

El Cid

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3071 on: March 08, 2020, 08:16:40 PM »
I planted all sorts of things (greens, radishes, onions, peas, broccoli, chard, etc) as the soil is so warm already. During other years I do this usually only the last week of March, or even first week of April. I saw some bumblebees today! Spring is 2-4 weeks early

Aporia_filia

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 109
« Reply #3072 on: March 09, 2020, 10:39:09 AM »
Here in the north of Spain the weather looks a bit crazy. Look the difference  a couple of days make. Photos were taken 100 meters away each other.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3073 on: March 09, 2020, 05:53:58 PM »
The Arctic Oscillation has been especially strong.

In Dozens of Cities East of the Mississippi, Winter Never Really Happened
Something called the Arctic Oscillation helped keep the polar vortex at bay. And then there’s climate change.
https://insideclimatenews.org/news/04032020/winter-southeast-united-states-polar-vortex-warming

Pmt111500

« Reply #3074 on: March 09, 2020, 06:32:56 PM »
The Arctic Oscillation has been especially strong.

In Dozens of Cities East of the Mississippi, Winter Never Really Happened
Something called the Arctic Oscillation helped keep the polar vortex at bay. And then there’s climate change.
https://insideclimatenews.org/news/04032020/winter-southeast-united-states-polar-vortex-warming

Well yes, large scale weather situations have been like some steady winter 30 years back, only the snowy winter has been 300k north of here.

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #3075 on: March 09, 2020, 07:34:13 PM »
A second "warm winter" here.

HapHazard

• Grease ice
  • Chillin' on Cold Mountain.
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 284
  • Likes Given: 5257
« Reply #3076 on: March 09, 2020, 08:08:16 PM »
Warm winter in my locale, but not by that much, overall. The weirder thing was that there wasn't any "cold snap" at all (where we get a stretch of at least 5 days with lows below -20C and highs below -10C). I've never experienced that before. It was also a dry start - the snow came a month late. Then it caught up.

Then March comes, and now it's colder than normal and the snow won't go away. The extra firewood we had been celebrating 2 weeks ago (Yay! Less work over the summer to prepare for next winter!) is now dwindling. Goddammit. I think?
If I call you out but go no further, the reason is Brandolini's law.

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3519
  • Likes Given: 755
« Reply #3077 on: March 19, 2020, 09:07:16 PM »
Offutt Air Force Base Is Evacuating All Flyable Aircraft
https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/32660/offutt-air-force-base-is-evacuating-all-flyable-aircraft

Offutt Air Force Base in Nebraska, home of U.S. Strategic Command, is evacuating all flyable airframes due to severe weather, which includes hail and lightning, heading in its direction. As it sits now, a total of nine of the base's aircraft are being tracked streaming southwest to far tamer climates.

The installation has been hit by tornadoes and a terrible flooding incident in recent years, the latter of which it is still recovering from after requiring a billion dollars in repairs.

Its fleet of strategic surveillance and command and control aircraft is extremely vulnerable to extreme weather as most sit on the ramp in the open.
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― anonymous

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3078 on: March 24, 2020, 02:50:36 PM »
Woensdrecht heeft in de nacht van maandag op dinsdag een zeer opmerkelijk record op zijn naam gezet. Voor het eerst in ruim een jaar tijd werd in Nederland een temperatuur van -6,1 graden gemeten. Zo koud is het de hele afgelopen winter niet geweest, meldt Weerplaza dinsdag.

De laatste keer dat het zo koud was in Nederland was tijdens de vorige winter: toen werden zelfs temperaturen van -13,3 graden bereikt.

Kouder dan -5,4 graden werd het afgelopen winter echter niet. Die temperatuur werd op 21 januari in Maastricht gemeten.

https://www.nu.nl/opmerkelijk/6039897/laagste-temperatuur-in-ruim-een-jaar-tijd-gemeten-in-nederland.html

Woensdrecht scored a remarkable record. For the first time in a year it hit -6,1 C (21F)
It has not been this cold all winter.
The winter before that we hit -13,3C (8F).
Coldest last winter was -5,4C (22,2F) on the 21st of  januari in Maastricht.

Early spring being colder then winter is pretty annoying.

El Cid

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3079 on: March 24, 2020, 04:43:40 PM »
We are also having a cold outbreak, and 850 hpa temperatures dropped to -12C, although the lowest 850 hpa temp during this winter was only -8 C.

As for 2 m temperatures this winter we dipped to a low of -8 C on Dec 2, 2019 (our average winter low is cca -12 C) and that was the minimum. Yesterday we were down to - 5 C after many sunny days of 15+ C during daytime. My apricot trees started flowering a few days ago and are not very happy now :(

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3080 on: March 27, 2020, 05:07:50 PM »
In plaats van zomers weer krijgt Nederland vanaf zondag te maken met de eerste lange te koude periode sinds november. Een vlok natte sneeuw is ook niet uitgesloten.

Zondag komt er veel koude lucht naar ons land. Ligt het kwik zaterdag overdag nog rond een graad of 12, op zondag komt de temperatuur overdag niet hoger dan 8 graden.

In combinatie met een stevige noordenwind levert dat een gevoelstemperatuur van tegen het vriespunt op, meldt Weerplaza.

https://www.nu.nl/algemeen/6040695/weekendweerbericht-winterse-buien-gevoelstemperatuur-tegen-vriespunt.html

So our weather is being as annoying as the general health situation. Lots of cold air are headed our way and it will feel like freezing.

One the things that annoy me most about GW warming is the part were a slowing AMOC would keep down temperatures in Europe. Technically it´s probably good for us but i just hate cold and don´t mind heat.

BTW this is not really related to that i think. It is like an early 80ies end of winter (where winter just would not fuck off) but it stands out now because our actual winter went AWOL.

blumenkraft

« Reply #3081 on: March 27, 2020, 05:40:16 PM »
As mentioned in the Jetstream thread, the jetstream is a bitch ATM, blowing cold air out of the Arctic right into Europe. IIRC this didn't happen during winter, but this spring it's already the second time.

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3082 on: March 27, 2020, 08:12:54 PM »
   ^^^ .. result .. a good week or more in N.I. .. after 6 months rain , anything else is welcome .. sorry if it's chilly over there .. b.c.

p.s. there could be more unusual weather on the way . I've never seen anything like gfs .. the next 14 days the Arctic ocean is dominated by a series of deep lows . It must be the most anomalous pressure forecast for the area ever . Fram will be in overdrive in association with the winds pouring out toward Europe . As a result Polarstern will continue to be a victim . Early ejection from the ice is looking increasingly certain .

« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 08:22:46 PM by be cause »

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3083 on: March 27, 2020, 08:21:21 PM »
weather related or not .. had a swallow flying around on the 25th .. mentioned it to my brother .. he lives over the drumlin from me .. and he and his wife first saw it on the 18th . Also said one turned up in March last year . 18th April would be normal 1st arrivals . !st of a new sub species ?
  Blackcaps have returned to Germany after overwintering here ; meanwhile ours have returned from Spain for the Summer . Two sub-species taking advantage of my wild places for different seasons . 20 years ago neither existed in this part of Ireland !   b.c.

Niall Dollard

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3084 on: April 01, 2020, 04:40:44 PM »
Filed under category "Weird". Weird for Svalbard that is.

At Svalbard Airport, Longyearbyen, the mean temperature for the month of March 2020 has been below normal.

This is the first below normal* month there since November 2010. A run of 111 months !

*the normal period used is 1961-1990. 

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3085 on: April 02, 2020, 12:33:58 AM »
There was more cold air above the Arctic than in any winter recorded since 1979
http://greatwhitecon.info/2020/03/facts-about-the-arctic-in-april-2020/

So i guess that contributed there.

I wrote about our ducks breeding all through the (technically) absent winter.
Minor rant about them (still breeding but more or less normal season so i had to resort to the OT OT thread).

Ducks and people in Utrecht NL

Niall Dollard

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3086 on: April 03, 2020, 03:24:51 PM »
It's been a cold (by night) start to April in central Europe. New monthly records in Czech republic and Hungary.

Attached list of Czech stations breaking their long term April extreme minimum.

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 826
« Reply #3087 on: April 03, 2020, 06:56:17 PM »
Is it "weird" to have good news about weather (these days)?  If so, read this anti-drought report in the Drought 2020 thread
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

El Cid

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3088 on: April 03, 2020, 07:45:20 PM »
It's been a cold (by night) start to April in central Europe. New monthly records in Czech republic and Hungary.

I can confirm the latter. Very very cold nights, minus 5 to 10 at some places, most apricots and peaches froze, no fruit this year. Even some cherry and plum trees were damaged which is highly unusual. Apricots suffer losses from cold breakouts every 2 -3 years, and sometimes peaches as well, but this year was really brutal...this seems to be our new trend in the past few years: a warmish winter and then a late cold spell in Feb/March, early April. And due to the warmer winter, plants start come back to life earlier only to be killed by these freezes. 

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3089 on: April 04, 2020, 12:17:21 PM »
the gods really want a hungry world this next year .. b.c.

blumenkraft

« Reply #3090 on: April 04, 2020, 12:32:12 PM »
Yes, gods have a tendency to be cruel assholes.

blumenkraft

« Reply #3091 on: April 07, 2020, 12:06:43 PM »
No sign of spring in Northern Norway. On this day there are several snow records broken. This is from E69 to North Cape.

Shared Humanity

« Reply #3092 on: April 07, 2020, 03:28:02 PM »

I can confirm the latter. Very very cold nights, minus 5 to 10 at some places, most apricots and peaches froze, no fruit this year. Even some cherry and plum trees were damaged which is highly unusual. Apricots suffer losses from cold breakouts every 2 -3 years, and sometimes peaches as well, but this year was really brutal...this seems to be our new trend in the past few years: a warmish winter and then a late cold spell in Feb/March, early April. And due to the warmer winter, plants start come back to life earlier only to be killed by these freezes.

The same thing is happening in the U.S. Peaches especially are getting wiped out.

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3093 on: April 10, 2020, 02:50:22 PM »
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― anonymous

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3094 on: April 11, 2020, 06:27:21 PM »
In De Bilt is de relatieve luchtvochtigheid zaterdagmiddag gedaald naar slechts 13 procent. Zo laag was volgens Weerplaza de relatieve luchtvochtigheid in april ergens in Nederland nog niet eerder sinds het begin van de metingen in 1901.

Het oude record van 15 procent, gemeten op 24 april 1984 in het Gelderse Deelen, is daarmee gebroken.

De combinatie van aanhoudende droogte, extreem veel zonneschijn en hoge temperaturen heeft ervoor gezorgd dat de relatieve luchtvochtigheid zo ver kon dalen.

We have a new record.

Relative humidity in De Bildt (central meteorological station) was only 13%.
Old record was 15% from 1984, data goes back to 1901.

Causes: strong sun, very dry soil top layer (low precipitation since march 12th, 0 in Vlissingen). The winds are coming from the continent with very dry air.

https://www.nu.nl/binnenland/6044266/droogste-lucht-ooit-gemeten-op-aprildag-in-nederland.html

Phoenix

« Reply #3095 on: April 12, 2020, 05:48:51 AM »
Easter will bring some serious weather to the US Deep South. Already reports of baseball sized hail in Texas. Strong tornado possibility.

https://www.windy.com/-Thunderstorms-thunder?thunder,31.698,-92.472,7,m:eAfaduR

Zinc_wit

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #3096 on: April 12, 2020, 03:28:18 PM »
In De Bilt is de relatieve luchtvochtigheid zaterdagmiddag gedaald naar slechts 13 procent. Zo laag was volgens Weerplaza de relatieve luchtvochtigheid in april ergens in Nederland nog niet eerder sinds het begin van de metingen in 1901.

Het oude record van 15 procent, gemeten op 24 april 1984 in het Gelderse Deelen, is daarmee gebroken.

De combinatie van aanhoudende droogte, extreem veel zonneschijn en hoge temperaturen heeft ervoor gezorgd dat de relatieve luchtvochtigheid zo ver kon dalen.

We have a new record.

Relative humidity in De Bildt (central meteorological station) was only 13%.
Old record was 15% from 1984, data goes back to 1901.

Causes: strong sun, very dry soil top layer (low precipitation since march 12th, 0 in Vlissingen). The winds are coming from the continent with very dry air.

https://www.nu.nl/binnenland/6044266/droogste-lucht-ooit-gemeten-op-aprildag-in-nederland.html

Is there any detailed explanation for the warm weather in the Netherlands and Belgium?
I can't find anything that explains the origin of these warm temperatures, even though they seem quite a bit too early to me. 

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3097 on: April 12, 2020, 09:24:35 PM »
We had a day which hit summer like features early but his centuries we also had years where spring was in full swing in februari which was not the case this year. I rate it more as late in the new normal. I think is all due to the large scale weather set up.

Phoenix

« Reply #3098 on: April 12, 2020, 09:49:31 PM »

Is there any detailed explanation for the warm weather in the Netherlands and Belgium?
I can't find anything that explains the origin of these warm temperatures, even though they seem quite a bit too early to me.

The North Sea seems to be sporting a high SST anomaly in the region adjacent to NL and Belgium. Per Climate Reanalyer.

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3099 on: April 13, 2020, 10:05:04 PM »
Tornado in Georgia Lifts House, Drops It On Middle of Road as Deadly Severe Storms Strike

A house was dropped in the middle of Highway 74 in Upson County, Georgia after an apparent tornado early Monday.

'Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore' - Wizard of Oz

... Follow the Yellow Brick road.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 11:04:53 PM by vox_mundi »