Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Weird Weather and anecdotal stories about climate change  (Read 1205233 times)

Gray-Wolf

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 131
  • Likes Given: 461
Re: Weird Weather and anecdotal stories about climate change
« Reply #2750 on: June 12, 2019, 12:34:18 PM »
I don't know much about meteorology, but this just doesn't look right!

If only this 'oxbow' contortion of the jet could become cut off leaving the jet far to the North and us under a Big ,Fat, blocked High with hot temps & clear skies?

I'll set my mind to joining those two loose ends of the Jet and give us a second half of summer to be dreamed of now the land has had a good watering!!!!
KOYAANISQATSI

ko.yaa.nis.katsi (from the Hopi language), n. 1. crazy life. 2. life in turmoil. 3. life disintegrating. 4. life out of balance. 5. a state of life that calls for another way of living.

VIRESCIT VULNERE VIRTUS

b_lumenkraft

« Reply #2751 on: June 12, 2019, 12:42:36 PM »
I sure hope the same.

Gray-Wolf

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2752 on: June 12, 2019, 01:36:52 PM »
Hi Lumenkraft!!

The appearance of the low up in Kara, and its drift into Barentsz, gives me some hope of us breaking this awful run of cool/wet for us!

If the Basin stirs on our side then it should have some knock on impacts further south and maybe that includes closing that loop and settling our bits of Europe down into something like 'Summer'?
KOYAANISQATSI

ko.yaa.nis.katsi (from the Hopi language), n. 1. crazy life. 2. life in turmoil. 3. life disintegrating. 4. life out of balance. 5. a state of life that calls for another way of living.

VIRESCIT VULNERE VIRTUS

b_lumenkraft

« Reply #2753 on: June 12, 2019, 02:09:17 PM »
There is a nice German saying, Wolf:

Dein Wort in Gottes Ohr.

Translates to 'your word in God's ear'.

(Not that i'm religious, but i like old sayings.)

Klondike Kat

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 40
  • Likes Given: 56
« Reply #2754 on: June 12, 2019, 02:33:42 PM »
I don't know much about meteorology, but this just doesn't look right!

If only this 'oxbow' contortion of the jet could become cut off leaving the jet far to the North and us under a Big ,Fat, blocked High with hot temps & clear skies?

I'll set my mind to joining those two loose ends of the Jet and give us a second half of summer to be dreamed of now the land has had a good watering!!!!

This is a typical Greenland blocking events, which is expected to bring much cooler temperatures to much of Europe.

https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1002/2016GL072387

https://www.aer.com/science-research/climate-weather/arctic-oscillation/

Gray-Wolf

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2755 on: June 12, 2019, 06:16:18 PM »
We're all aware of the old currency Klondike but what of the tweeks the last 2 decades have placed over that mask?

The 'stormy' bottom melt end of the season that we've become accustomed to must have its teleconnections further South?

Having young children over the time of the UK's run of 'washout summers' made me acutely aware that as soon as they were going back to school ,post summer hols, the weather miraculously cleared up and gave us a lovely end to summer?

I'd reckon that this 'second bite of the cherry' has now moved back into late July/early Aug as the Arctic produces its own cyclones and so allowed HP to migrate further south....... and over us here in NW Europe.

I'm hoping this will pan out this year and give us a blazing end to summer?
KOYAANISQATSI

VIRESCIT VULNERE VIRTUS

Alexander555

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 185
  • Likes Given: 49

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #2757 on: June 18, 2019, 10:55:11 PM »
Record heat will become the new normal:
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-019-01891-3

Ktb

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 158
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #2758 on: June 19, 2019, 02:02:57 AM »
There was absolutely stifling heat in the Jasper/Yoho/Banff/Kootenay national parks area during the past week. Read several articles about records being broken. Was almost too hot to hike. Almost ;)
And, given a story to enact in which the world is a foe to be conquered, they will conquer it like a foe, and one day, inevitably, their foe will lie bleeding to death at their feet, as the world is now.
- Ishmael

Comradez

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 60
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2759 on: June 19, 2019, 05:11:54 AM »
I wonder how long it will be before the Yukon River Delta region in Alaska starts attracting more development.  Maybe even a road connection with the rest of the Continental U.S.?  With the Bering Sea offshore hardly ever freezing around there anymore, I expect the climate to get much more temperate much more quickly. 

This year, the area was snow-free by late March.  This week and the next in St. Mary's, Alaska highs are around 70 and lows are around 50.  Positively delightful! 

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 826
« Reply #2760 on: June 19, 2019, 05:23:26 AM »
Maybe, maybe not:
Mosquitoes are more than a nuisance in the summer in northern Alaska; they are a genuine problem.
from here

I  was a passenger on an impromptu field trip (to my study area in South Island, New Zealand) with some visiting North American geologists.  The Canadian was telling of the ferocious mosquitoes in Canada's far north after an American told his story from Alaska.  (These matched the stories I'd previously heard from my supervisor who'd studied rocks on Labrador (Newfoundland, Canada), but he kept his tongue).  We rounded a corner and got an (unexpected to the visitors) panoramic view of a tectonically created wetlands, and one of the visitors asked, "What are those?"  One of the genuine Kiwis in the Land Rover said of the black swans, "Ne' Zealan' misquitas."
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 05:41:34 AM by Tor Bejnar »
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

Pragma

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 48
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #2761 on: June 19, 2019, 06:11:55 AM »
Maybe, maybe not:
Mosquitoes are more than a nuisance in the summer in northern Alaska; they are a genuine problem.
from here

I  was a passenger on an impromptu field trip (to my study area in South Island, New Zealand) with some visiting North American geologists.  The Canadian was telling of the ferocious mosquitoes in Canada's far north after an American told his story from Alaska.  (These matched the stories I'd previously heard from my supervisor who'd studied rocks on Labrador (Newfoundland, Canada), but he kept his tongue).  We rounded a corner and got an (unexpected to the visitors) panoramic view of a tectonically created wetlands, and one of the visitors asked, "What are those?"  One of the genuine Kiwis in the Land Rover said of the black swans, "Ne' Zealan' misquitas."

:)

Ktb

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2762 on: June 19, 2019, 07:59:00 AM »
from hereOne of the genuine Kiwis in the Land Rover said of the black swans, "Ne' Zealan' misquitas."

Sand flies from the west coast of the south island are the devil incarnate for sure.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 12:45:05 AM by Ktb »
And, given a story to enact in which the world is a foe to be conquered, they will conquer it like a foe, and one day, inevitably, their foe will lie bleeding to death at their feet, as the world is now.
- Ishmael

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 826
« Reply #2763 on: June 19, 2019, 03:59:41 PM »
My worst experience was of sand flies after camping one night near a mangrove in (coastal) Senora, Mexico.  It was hot so I slept on top of my sleeping bag.  The next day I thought I had a bad sunburn so I wore a shirt all day.  The following day a companion saw my bare back and said it was solid sand fly bites.  We were later told that during sand fly season, the local native people abandoned that part of the coast because they weren't stupid.

The morning after a night in Needles, California, sleeping under the stars next to the tepid Colorado River (nothing like the cold running creek I knew in southern Colorado!), I counted over 100 mosquito bites on my face.  The sand fly bites were 100x worse.

Then there was the beetle in the Kimberlies that took a 2 mm cube out of my arm.  Now that hurt!

There was a tiny story in the local New Hampshire newspaper 25 years ago about an attorney trying to get his key in his car's frozen door lock muttering, "When will global warming get here?"  Now, in Florida, I only experience cold when Maintenance cannot get the AC working right: it was 62ºF (17ºC) yesterday!
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

Sebastian Jones

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 214
  • Likes Given: 159
« Reply #2764 on: June 19, 2019, 04:16:23 PM »
I wonder how long it will be before the Yukon River Delta region in Alaska starts attracting more development.  Maybe even a road connection with the rest of the Continental U.S.?  With the Bering Sea offshore hardly ever freezing around there anymore, I expect the climate to get much more temperate much more quickly. 

This year, the area was snow-free by late March.  This week and the next in St. Mary's, Alaska highs are around 70 and lows are around 50.  Positively delightful! 

Answer: Never. The Yukon river delta is barely above sea level. Sea level rise and erosion guarantees that most of the delta will be under water by the end of the century. Disastrous salmon management means that the sole viable economy in the area is imploding. The area is a hot spot for places becoming less liveable.

Aluminium

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1140
  • Likes Given: 680
« Reply #2765 on: June 21, 2019, 11:21:31 PM »
Pevek, Chukotka.

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5308
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #2766 on: June 22, 2019, 07:07:45 PM »
Posted on Arctic Cafe but worth repeating here?

Yesterday, Solstice day, at about 52N 2W, the afternoon and evening became totally cloudless. So my daughter took the dogs for a long late evening walk.

A short time after sunset, in the West, it suddenly got a lot lighter. She took some photos on her mobile phone. When I saw them, after a few minutes the memory store swung into action"noct something clouds?). After a brief struggle with google, I found...

http://www-das.uwyo.edu/~geerts/cwx/notes/chap08/noctilucent.html
Noctilucent clouds (Fig 2) occur in the upper mesosphere, at about 80 km. Their name derives from the fact that they can be seen from the ground when the Sun is 7-10 degrees below the horizon and only reflects off these very high clouds . It arises from the water vapour released upon oxidation of methane. The recent observed increase of such clouds is related to increased atmospheric concentrations of methane***, a greenhouse gas. Noctilucent clouds are most common in the summer in polar regions. At this time the mesospheric lapse rate is close to neutral, and this makes uplift easier.

*** AGW - the gift that keeps on giving.

Are they Noctilucent clouds? (Right time of day and year, right direction) Lumnekraft says yes.

Images attached.
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

nanning

• Nilas ice
  • 0Kg CO₂, 37 KWh/wk,125L H₂O/wk, No offspring
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 273
  • Likes Given: 23170
« Reply #2767 on: June 22, 2019, 07:36:39 PM »
Beautiful.
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly" - Bertrand Russell
"It is preoccupation with what other people from your groups think of you, that prevents you from living freely and nobly" - Nanning
Why do you keep accumulating stuff?

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3519
  • Likes Given: 755
« Reply #2768 on: June 23, 2019, 02:18:45 AM »
Line of Storms Leaves 1,000 Mile Path of Destruction, Impacting Four US Major Cities 
https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/06/22/us/derecho-us-storms/index.html
https://weather.com/en-US/news/news/2019-06-22-storms-derecho-midwest-impacts

A fast-moving line of severe storms known as a derecho stretched from the Midwest to the South Carolina coastline, leaving three people dead and more than 350 damage reports in its wake.

The extreme weather phenomena started in central Nebraska in the predawn hours on Friday and traveled all the way to Charleston by Saturday morning.   

Shelf clouds were seen along the line of storms. Major US cities, such as Kansas City and St. Louis, got a taste of strong winds and heavy rain from these apocalyptic-looking clouds.

Hurricane force winds and flash flooding are typical of derechos.

More than 14 states felt the impact of the storm.

Three people were killed Friday as a result of winds toppling trees onto vehicles and a boat, according to authorities.

The Kansas City Fire Department responded to a water rescue early Friday morning as streets in downtown flooded from the storms, CNN affiliate KMBC reported.

https://mobile.twitter.com/andywardemt/status/1142059799271628800

There is the potential for straight-line wind gusts to reach an AccuWeather Local StormMax™ of 80 mph, which can easily topple trees and power lines and cause structural damage.

https://accuweather.com/en/weather-news/derecho-blasts-kansas-to-georgia-with-powerful-winds-flooding-rain/70008620
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 02:30:42 AM by vox_mundi »
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― anonymous

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late

scottie

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #2769 on: June 23, 2019, 01:27:03 PM »
*** AGW - the gift that keeps on giving.
Are they Noctilucent clouds? (Right time of day and year, right direction) Lumnekraft says yes.

They are indeed noctilucent (nght shining) clouds and yes they are beautiful. I saw my first for a number of years pre-dawn last week (I live about 50 miles east of London). This year is possibly the best ever for these clouds with sightings as far south as LA, much further south than ever seen before. As well as being increased by AGW they are apparently seeded by meteorites and linked to solar activity, appearing much more numerous at solar minimum which is where we are now. The last time I saw them here was around 11 years ago, which makes sense. More info and photos can be found at http://www.spaceweather.com/
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 09:52:56 PM by scottie »

b_lumenkraft

« Reply #2770 on: June 26, 2019, 07:03:51 PM »
Germany right now!

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1160
  • Likes Given: 430
« Reply #2771 on: June 27, 2019, 10:06:30 PM »
June is the dry season in Hawaii — normally they get around 1/4 inch (6mm) of rain for the month.

On Tuesday, they received 4 inches (100mm) in one day — from a stationary storm system, not a typhoon/cyclone.

Drenching showers set records ― and there’s more rain in the forecast
https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2019/06/24/flash-flood-watch-posted-oahu-kauai-county-ahead-heavy-rain-possible-thunderstorms/
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2772 on: June 27, 2019, 10:21:47 PM »
U.S.:  Rocky Mountains to the Atlantic Ocean.

“Check out this system that traveled impressively far across the country from 7pm EDT Thursday to 7am EDT Saturday.”
https://mobile.twitter.com/weatherchannel/status/1143203190470512640
Radar GIF at the link.

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1047
« Reply #2773 on: June 28, 2019, 08:13:16 AM »
Ohio: wettest year since 1895

" took a gamble and planted muddy fields, something nobody in his family had ever done."

"employees are terrified, he said. They are paid on sales commissions, and they can't sell seeds to farmers who aren't planting."

"He first bought corn seed that matures in 112-114 days. Rainfall closed that time frame, so he came back to get 107-109 day corn. Weather, again, closed that window. Then, he came back one more time for 103-day version.

Pond's even, for the first time, selling 88-day corn seed.

"I'm 60 and I have never seen that," he said. "This is uncharted territory." "

"[farmers]  the highest suicide rate of any job in this country, double even that of veterans "

"It's pretty easy to hide a suicide as a farm accident,"

"Little things are happening that just don't happen, like how the USDA is changing bushel yield estimates in June"

"2019 will be a year that will be an analog year where people will talk about for the next multiple decades in the industry for sure,"

"In the last few months, Fennig said, he's gone from a crop insurance agent to a psychiatrist. "

https://www.mansfieldnewsjournal.com/story/news/2019/06/22/flooded-corn-fields-leave-crops-suffering-relentless-ohio-rains/1484353001/

sidd

Niall Dollard

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 463
  • Likes Given: 117
« Reply #2774 on: June 29, 2019, 08:01:15 AM »
Montpellier near the south coast of France has beaten its alltime max record by a whopping 5.8 C.

Yesterday's max of 43.5 easily beats the old record of 37.7 C set  August 4th 2017. Records at the airport site go back to 1946.

Nearby Gallergues-le-Monteaux set an all time French record of 45.9 C

b_lumenkraft

« Reply #2775 on: June 29, 2019, 10:30:01 AM »
Here is a weird anecdotal story about climate change:

Yesterday i woke up with a toothache and an extremely swollen eye.  :o

Called up the dentist and the doc for appointments.

Eye turned out to be swollen because a malicious thirsty insect bit me. Doc said this is common now, some kind of invasive mosquito.

Toothache was a gingival infection. Doc said infections thrive in the weather conditions we have here at the moment (hot).

It hits you where you don't expect it...  :-\
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 12:34:25 PM by b_lumenkraft »

nanning

• Nilas ice
  • 0Kg CO₂, 37 KWh/wk,125L H₂O/wk, No offspring
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 273
  • Likes Given: 23170
« Reply #2776 on: June 29, 2019, 11:08:53 AM »
Malicious? It's a tourist. It was on a summer holiday to escape the heat of the south and got very thirsty.
You were very attractive thursday night ;)

Good that you allow insects in your house. Do you know what sort of mosquito it was? Aedes aegypti?

Get well soon b_lumenkraft!
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly" - Bertrand Russell
"It is preoccupation with what other people from your groups think of you, that prevents you from living freely and nobly" - Nanning
Why do you keep accumulating stuff?

b_lumenkraft

« Reply #2777 on: June 29, 2019, 12:33:46 PM »
Thanks a lot, Nanning, i feel much better today.

The ones i welcome to my house are spiders. They normally take care of the tourist mosquito problems. ;)

And you are right, calling that one malicious was unfair. I take it back!

b_lumenkraft

« Reply #2778 on: June 30, 2019, 10:54:05 AM »

Shared Humanity

« Reply #2779 on: June 30, 2019, 03:03:55 PM »
The stuck weather patterns across the NH has resulted in a solid week of humid air and afternoon and evening thunderstorms in Chicago. This is forecast to continue for the next 2 weeks. Farmers in the central U.S. do not need any more rain. When these localized storms hit, they can dump in excess of 5 inches of rain in a couple of hours.

We have broken the weather. This will be the new normal.

Klondike Kat

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2780 on: June 30, 2019, 04:13:28 PM »
These summer storms do not typically dump that much total rain.  While rainfall rates may exceed an inch per hour, they seldom last very long.  Normally, these are good for the crops, as they provide water, while cooling the air in the late afternoon.  Areas that are too wet, do not need any more.

pikaia

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 124
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #2781 on: July 01, 2019, 08:34:55 AM »
"Mexico hail: Ice 1.5m thick carpets Mexico's Guadalajara"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-48821306

BornFromTheVoid

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 679
  • Likes Given: 299
« Reply #2782 on: July 01, 2019, 09:32:33 AM »
These summer storms do not typically dump that much total rain.  While rainfall rates may exceed an inch per hour, they seldom last very long.  Normally, these are good for the crops, as they provide water, while cooling the air in the late afternoon.  Areas that are too wet, do not need any more.

Intense rainfall tends to produce surface runoff rather than percolating into the soil. This is especially the case if the soil is already saturated. This isn't so good for crops, and can also wash away a lot of soil, along with nutrients and pollutants, into local streams and rivers.
I recently joined the twitter thing, where I post more analysis, pics and animations: @Icy_Samuel

Alexander555

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 185
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #2783 on: July 01, 2019, 11:21:55 AM »
"2019 will be a year that will be an analog year where people will talk about for the next multiple decades in the industry for sure,"

That would'nt be very logical. Because climate change is a build up of conditions, is'nt it ? That would mean that this becomes the new normal, and in some years it will be worse. One of the good things about it, maybe. If your land is in the right place, than you maybe have time to escape the claws of globalisation. Because all these international connected markets, they depress prices. Nobody can grow out of his debt in a short periode of time, as soon there is a shortage they bring it in from other places. And the prices drop again. So they stay some kind of slaves. It's no surprise that so many of them kill themself. But with land in a good location, climate change could become a problem for globalisation and a positive thing for some farmers.

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2053
  • Likes Given: 1989
« Reply #2784 on: July 01, 2019, 04:19:58 PM »
Massive Wasp 'Super Nests' Are Appearing in Alabama, Leaving Pest Control Stumped

The last time something like this happened was 2006. Most years, Alabama sees only one or two wasp 'super nests': giant wasp fortresses that sometimes even professional pest controllers won't touch.

According to entomologist Charles Ray, the 2006 super nest outbreak only began in June that year. This year, these 'perennial' super nests – which can survive the winter, unlike usual nests – started to show up in May.

https://www.sciencealert.com/massive-wasp-super-nests-are-starting-to-appear-in-alabama-scientist-warns
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

Shared Humanity

« Reply #2785 on: July 01, 2019, 04:56:59 PM »

Got 4.5 inches of rain in 3 hours in the south suburbs of Chicago last Wednesday. Portions of the metro area have been pounded with heavy thunderstorms every evening for 10 days. P.M. thunderstorms occur routinely in the Midwest in July but this pattern is very persistent.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 09:14:58 PM by Shared Humanity »

Telihod

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #2786 on: July 01, 2019, 06:22:25 PM »
This year's June was the warmest in Hungary in 100+ years. 3.6 C above the 1981-2010 average.

b_lumenkraft

« Reply #2787 on: July 01, 2019, 07:13:37 PM »
It was the hottest on record June in Germany too, beating 2003.

Also, the record high temperature was topped.

BornFromTheVoid

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 679
  • Likes Given: 299
« Reply #2788 on: July 01, 2019, 08:06:28 PM »
Warmest June daily maximum temperature on record for the CET zone in England, at 30.6C, beating 30.3C from 1976. Records going back to 1878.
I recently joined the twitter thing, where I post more analysis, pics and animations: @Icy_Samuel

Shared Humanity

« Reply #2789 on: July 01, 2019, 09:26:27 PM »
Guadalajara, Mexico, sweltering through a hot steamy summer, has 3 feet of hail dumped on it.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/is-it-snow-is-it-hail-sweltering-mexican-city-experiences-extreme-summer-event/70008700

bbr2314

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Likes Given: 53
« Reply #2790 on: July 01, 2019, 10:38:52 PM »
Guadalajara, Mexico, sweltering through a hot steamy summer, has 3 feet of hail dumped on it.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/is-it-snow-is-it-hail-sweltering-mexican-city-experiences-extreme-summer-event/70008700
We should build the wall out of ice for the added ALBEDO bonus.

P-maker

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 72
« Reply #2791 on: July 01, 2019, 11:26:44 PM »
Bbr,

or, maybe the start of a new Guadalajara Glacier - we just need 20 more incidents like this, and the accumulated ice will be flowing down the street ;o)

Klondike Kat

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2792 on: July 02, 2019, 03:51:09 AM »

Got 4.5 inches of rain in 3 hours in the south suburbs of Chicago last Wednesday. Portions of the metro area have been pounded with heavy thunderstorms every evening for 10 days. P.M. thunderstorms occur routinely in the Midwest in July but this pattern is very persistent.

Never said that an atypical rainfall amount could not occur occasionally with these storms.

Rod

« Reply #2793 on: July 05, 2019, 04:34:50 AM »
I’ll just leave this here ... 😳

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5308
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #2794 on: July 05, 2019, 09:39:04 AM »
Won't do the permafrost a lot of good.

https://www.wunderground.com/news/safety/heat/news/2019-07-03-anchorage-alaska-all-time-record-heat-wave

A heat wave is intensifying over Alaska and will last into next week, possibly threatening all-time record highs in parts of the state, including the state's largest city, Anchorage.

An unusually strong dome of high pressure aloft will intensify and spread over our 49th state the next several days.

According to UCLA climate scientist Daniel Swain, the strength of this high-pressure dome could break all-time records over Alaska. Its intensity mirrors a dome forecast to produce 90 degree temperatures over the central and southern U.S.

Sinking air in this high-pressure dome will suppress rain, leading to plenty of sunshine and record warmth. This heat dome won't ease off over western Alaska until next week.

Image below...
The jet stream pattern responsible for what may be a record heat wave in parts of southern Alaska, including Anchorage, from July 4th into the following week.
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3519
  • Likes Given: 755
« Reply #2795 on: July 08, 2019, 10:45:58 PM »
Roads Become Rivers, Drivers Swim to Safety in DC Flood Emergency
https://wtop.com/weather-news/2019/07/flash-flood-risk-continues-for-dc-region-on-monday-morning/slide/1/

The National Weather Service at 1 p.m. lifted the Flash Flood Warnings that had been in effect for the D.C. metro area for most of the morning, but they’ve been replaced by regular Flood Warnings, which will last until 6 p.m. in D.C.; Fairfax and Arlington counties in Virginia, and Prince George’s and Montgomery counties in the area, as well as Charles and St. Mary’s counties in southern Maryland.

That only means that “the flood waters are not rising rapidly anymore … but the flooding is still there,” said Storm Team4 meteorologist Matt Ritter. Waters can still continue to rise, he said; just not as rapidly as in the morning.

-----------------------------

Swamp Status: Full; Flash Flooding Hits Washington, D.C., Prompting Water Rescues
https://earther.gizmodo.com/it-s-raining-inside-the-metro-as-flash-floods-rage-acro-1836182402

The National Weather Service is reporting that “over three inches of rain” have already fallen in many places with water on some creeks reportedly rising up to nine feet in just 30 minutes and the storm looks to be a one in every 100-200 year event according to Aon meteorologist Steven Bowen.

... Not to be outdone, the White House is also under siege from water. The streets out front have completely flooded and White House reporters confirmed that water was seeping in through the basement. The floodwaters are rising on a day when the President Trump is set to deliver remarks on his administration’s “environmental leadership,” which amounts to leaving the world’s main climate treaty and rolling back climate and environmental regulations.

Heavy rainfall flooded the intersection of 15th Street and Constitution Avenue in Washington on July 8, 2019

Flooding in the basement of the White House briefing room on July 8, 2019.

Waterfalls in the Metro

https://twitter.com/i/status/1148214779229691905
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― anonymous

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2796 on: July 09, 2019, 09:53:37 PM »
Yesterday’s deluge in Washington, D.C. was the heaviest one-hour rainfall ever recorded there.  And the only one of the top 10 to occur in the morning hours.

Maxar | Weather Desk (@Maxar_Weather) 7/9/19, 8:07 AM
Very impressive: according to data from the Iowa Mesonet (mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/plotting/auto) the 3.30" recorded between 8:52-9:52 AM yesterday was Washington DC's highest hourly precip report in records dating back to 1936
https://twitter.com/maxar_weather/status/1148564328641179649

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2797 on: July 09, 2019, 09:56:52 PM »
WMO | OMM on Twitter: "For the 3rd consecutive time in 2019 (April, May and June), the past 12-month precipitation record (July 2018 to June 2019) has hit an all-time high in USA, per @NOAANCEIclimate See https://t.co/tQ93dAkX1N #StateOfClimate https://t.co/f0kYByxvNc"
https://mobile.twitter.com/wmo/status/1148617565578682368

P-maker

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 72
« Reply #2798 on: July 09, 2019, 11:28:16 PM »
Sigmetnow and vox-mundi,

Thanks for reporting on the DC floodings. No national news media over here picked up on that story, as far as I know.

3.3" is roughly equivalent to 84 mm/hour. This is way beyond the normally accepted physical threshold for an atmosphere delivering water to the ground, which in Japan - after many years of meticulous scientific study and detailed measurements - equals roughly 50 mm/hour.

Thus, you have at least a couple of humongous problems to deal with:

1) your President and his outlandish views
2) your infrastructure, which is not really built for this kind of weather
3) your insurance companies, which are not really prepared to pay out under these new circumstances

It may be time to revert to some kind of swamp tactics (inspired by the Vietnamese freedom fighters).

Cheers P

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2799 on: July 10, 2019, 07:30:50 PM »
Two brief video clips from the DC flooding:

Hope Hodge Seck on Twitter: "We used to have a creek and a yard. Now just a creek I guess."
https://mobile.twitter.com/hopeseck/status/1148215281833132032

Wendy Marco on Twitter: "Scary exit from the parking garage under the Capitals Ice Rink / Ballston Commons Mall in Arlington. The bottom level is a River! ⁦..."
https://mobile.twitter.com/wendymarco924/status/1148245324177334273