Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Weird Weather and anecdotal stories about climate change  (Read 1198303 times)

silkman

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 58
  • Likes Given: 14
Re: Weird Weather and anecdotal stories about climate change
« Reply #450 on: August 01, 2014, 09:11:03 AM »
More weird weather in Siberia. The Siberian Times reports floods, unseasonal snow, heat and hailstones the size of eggs.

And fires, lots of fires......

http://siberiantimes.com/ecology/others/features/weather-goes-crazy-in-siberia-with-record-high-temperatures-then-july-snow/

Shared Humanity

« Reply #451 on: August 01, 2014, 05:18:11 PM »
The books are closed on July and Chicago has had an amazingly mild month. We had one day with a high of 90F. 15 days of July had highs in the 70's while 15 had highs in the 80's.

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KORD/2014/7/31/MonthlyHistory.html

I have lived in Chicago my entire life, am an avid gardener and mild summers have increasingly become the norm over the last decade.

Since we continue to have near record heat across the planet, somebody must be getting their ass kicked.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 04:36:36 AM by Shared Humanity »

RunningChristo

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 15
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #452 on: August 02, 2014, 12:13:23 AM »
Oslo, Norway have been "blessed" With the warmest July since 1955, 20,8 C (16,4 C = normal), and the current 12 month running average is now at +2,6 C ABOVE normal!  I Call that "a hint" of Global Warming...

Longyearbyen, Svalbard, did not experience such an exceptional July, just 1,3 C above normal, but despite this "Cold" July, the current 12 month average there stand at + 4,55 Above normal.
I say that is bad News for both ice/glaciers, permafrost and animallife!
My fancy for ice & glaciers started in 1995:-).

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 49
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #453 on: August 05, 2014, 10:44:26 PM »
FOX (RT) News....."The Trump Channel.....where truth and journalism are dead."

Anne

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #454 on: August 06, 2014, 03:04:11 PM »
Reindeer invade Arctic road tunnel in Norway to escape the heat. And the authorities are leaving them there and requiring drivers to take a detour.
http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/08/05/us-norway-reindeer-idUKKBN0G51CF20140805

ritter

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 24
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #455 on: August 06, 2014, 09:15:24 PM »
Hawaii, Which Almost Never Has Hurricanes, Is Getting Ready For 2
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/08/06/338265427/hawaii-which-almost-never-has-hurricanes-is-getting-ready-for-2

Iselle and Julio both expected to weaken to tropical storm by landfall. I was there two weeks ago. Missed it!  :o

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1153
  • Likes Given: 430
« Reply #456 on: August 13, 2014, 04:21:18 PM »
Record flooding in past few days in Detroit; Baltimore; Long Island (NY):
"All of these floods had two things in common: an unusually high level of water vapor in the atmosphere, and an unusually amplified jet stream. Precipitable water (a measure of water vapor) in Detroit on Monday and near Long Island last night was in the 99th percentile historically. The jet stream was in an unusually contorted configuration, with a strong trough of low pressure over the Eastern U.S., and sharp ridge of high pressure over the West. This allowed colder air than usual to move in aloft, increasing the instability of the atmosphere, causing stronger thunderstorm updrafts and heavier rains."

We no longer need hurricanes to get hurricane amounts of rain in the Midwest and Northeast US.

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=2759&cm_ven=tw-jm
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 602
  • Likes Given: 409
« Reply #457 on: August 13, 2014, 05:27:00 PM »
They had to send out divers to investigate cars stuck under water on some highways in Detroit to see if people were stuck in them! This is getting surreal.

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2014/08/12/state-activates-emergency-operations-center-after-storm-dumps-over-5-inches-of-rain/

"A force de chercher de bonnes raisons, on en trouve; on les dit; et après on y tient, non pas tant parce qu'elles sont bonnes que pour ne pas se démentir." Choderlos de Laclos "You struggle to come up with some valid reasons, then cling to them, not because they're good, but just to not back down."

Laurent

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Likes Given: 50
« Reply #458 on: August 13, 2014, 05:39:58 PM »
That may not be the good thread but it goes well with the previous info.
Global warming is moistening the atmosphere
http://www.theguardian.com/environment/climate-consensus-97-per-cent/2014/aug/13/global-warming-moistening-the-atmosphere

Also this one to complete :
Extreme Rains Swamp Baltimore and Long Island
http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=2759&cm_ven=tw-jm

Laurent

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: August 15, 2014, 10:05:44 AM »
Two US states 'swap weather systems'
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-28792019

Unusual weather in the Western US has caused an apparent "swap" in weather conditions between two states.

In Phoenix, Arizona, which is famously dry at this time of year, heavy rain caused a canal to flood leaving more than a dozen people marooned on flooded streets.

Meanwhile in Washington State, an enormous dust storm rolled over parched land, creating an eerie scene and causing numerous traffic accidents.

jbatteen

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #460 on: August 15, 2014, 03:59:49 PM »
Phoenix is not famously dry at this time of year.  The Monsoon season doesn't wrap up for another few weeks and flash floods like this are routine in July and August.

Laurent

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: August 16, 2014, 11:18:16 PM »

Laurent

• Young ice
    • View Profile

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: August 23, 2014, 04:35:23 PM »
Phoenix is not famously dry at this time of year.  The Monsoon season doesn't wrap up for another few weeks and flash floods like this are routine in July and August.
This is of course correct.  However, what's noteworthy is the record amount of rain that has fallen.

http://www.cnn.com/video/standard.html?/video/us/2014/08/22/dnt-gray-week-of-flooding.cnn&sr=twVideo08232014flooding10pvodlink&video_referrer=http%3A%2F%2Ft.co%2F1wjtiYGw51

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile

Rick Aster

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #466 on: September 03, 2014, 01:13:25 AM »
From CBC: Polar vortex chills linked to melting sea ice; Cold outbreaks happened a few months after unusually low sea ice levels http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/polar-vortex-chills-linked-to-melting-sea-ice-1.2753522

It’s a summary of a statistical study that finds a strong connection between low sea ice in the Barents and Kara seas and continental cold spells a few months later.

When there's less ice, more energy gets into the atmosphere and weakens the jet stream, the high-altitude river of air that usually keeps Arctic air from wandering south, said Jin-Ho Yoon of the Pacific Northwest National Laboratory in Richland, Washington. So the cold air escapes instead.

That happened relatively infrequently in the 1990s, but since 2000 it has happened nearly every year, according to a study published Tuesday in the journal Nature Communications.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: September 08, 2014, 10:16:30 PM »
Monsoon flow + Hurricane Norbert remnants = wettest day ever in Phoenix, AZ, USA.  Record flooding in the southwest.

http://mashable.com/2014/09/08/phoenix-rain-wettest-day-on-record/

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: September 08, 2014, 10:20:55 PM »
Kashmir region: Earlier monsoon rains were scant, but late season, unusually heavy downpours caused record flooding.

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2014/09/08/3564240/photos-historic-kashmir-flooding/

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: September 11, 2014, 03:58:49 AM »
Calgary gets more snow in one storm than is normal for months of September & October combined.  Also catches the American storm-naming disease.  ;-)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/wp/2014/09/10/heavy-early-season-snow-in-calgary-causes-power-outages-dangerous-roads/

jbatteen

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: September 12, 2014, 02:54:48 AM »
I am in Tucson where we also got hammered with flooding with that storm, but not nearly to the extent of Phoenix.  Tropical Storm Odile looks set to follow a very similar path, so a repeat performance is not out of the question.

Who decided to name the Canadian storms?  The Weather Channel again?  I guess the Europeans have been naming winter storms since the 50s but that makes it no less silly for TWC to decide to do it now.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: September 12, 2014, 03:08:46 AM »
Who decided to name the Canadian storms?  The Weather Channel again?  I guess the Europeans have been naming winter storms since the 50s but that makes it no less silly for TWC to decide to do it now.

Apparently the Canadians themselves are calling the storm "Snowtember."  TWC has its reasons for naming US storms (social media and historical reference), but they don't have the province to extend themselves north of the border.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 03:16:12 AM by Sigmetnow »

Shared Humanity

« Reply #472 on: September 12, 2014, 05:12:19 PM »
I am in Tucson where we also got hammered with flooding with that storm, but not nearly to the extent of Phoenix.  Tropical Storm Odile looks set to follow a very similar path, so a repeat performance is not out of the question.

I can understand getting hammered can be rough but doesn't this rain have long term benefits that far outweigh the short term pain?

Bruce Steele

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 744
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #473 on: September 12, 2014, 05:29:41 PM »
If the tropical convergence zone were to shift north would Southern California get hammered with an occasional summer monsoon event? Maybe even a hurricane should water temperature increase sufficiently?  We don't do a lot of hurricane preparations around here but I wonder sometimes if future conditions may make an occasional hurricane more likely. 

ritter

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 24
« Reply #474 on: September 12, 2014, 05:50:27 PM »

I can understand getting hammered can be rough but doesn't this rain have long term benefits that far outweigh the short term pain?

Depends on where it falls. When it's torrential rain, most just runs off flash flood like. If there is no reservoir to catch it, well.... Torrential rain doesn't do much for groundwater recharge. It's too much too quickly to infiltrate the soil. This is especially true during drought when the soil is hard.

jbatteen

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: September 13, 2014, 05:41:33 PM »

Depends on where it falls. When it's torrential rain, most just runs off flash flood like. If there is no reservoir to catch it, well.... Torrential rain doesn't do much for groundwater recharge. It's too much too quickly to infiltrate the soil. This is especially true during drought when the soil is hard.

Yes, the benefit is substantial!  I only used the word hammered because there was lots of property damage that came along with it.  I'm a college student on a limited budget and I live in a motorhome with a leaky roof.  I have to put blocks under and park it intentionally sideways so the water runs off, and even still some gets inside every time it rains.  Tucson is not a particularly wealthy city and I know I'm not the only one who doesn't have the money to prepare their home for an event that might not happen every year.  The flooding that came along with this storm was intense.  There are no basements here because it's so expensive to dig rock but people still had their ground levels flooded.  Erosion moved all kinds of sand into city streets that has to be cleaned up.

On the other side of the coin, it's been an active monsoon season up to this point and the plants are growing like crazy.  I have never seen the desert this green.  I can almost watch the trees grow.  Trees!  These things that have looked basically the same for a year because it didn't rain much last winter have grown feet over the summer.  Trees near power lines everywhere need trimmed bad.  Everything is flowering and it smells amazing.  Allergy sufferers are heavily medicated or suffering, or both.  There are mushrooms popping up.  I didn't even know mushrooms grew in the desert.  I'm not originally from here.  Think of how insanely hardy that mycelium must be to withstand getting completely dried out and baked in the sun.  The soil surface temps are even higher than air temps.  It waits years, maybe decades at times for just the right moment.  The desert blows my mind.

The soil surface is hard as ritter describes even now in these moistest of times.  It can only absorb moisture at a certain rate, due to lack of organic material and things like grass to slow the runoff and absorb the water.  Thus, long, slow rains are the best for plants and surface recharge.  That's what the winter rain is often like.  However, during the summer thunderstorms when it rains an inch an hour, the majority of rainwater runs off no matter what the soil moisture is like.  But a lot of recharge happens through the bottoms of washes and rivers.  It's gravel that goes down to the water table in a lot of places.  Tucson runs its surplus CAP water down otherwise dry washes and rivers specifically for that purpose.  So, just because it might not absorb on the soil surface very much, doesn't mean it isn't recharging the water table.

If the tropical convergence zone were to shift north would Southern California get hammered with an occasional summer monsoon event? Maybe even a hurricane should water temperature increase sufficiently?  We don't do a lot of hurricane preparations around here but I wonder sometimes if future conditions may make an occasional hurricane more likely. 

I'm not sure about the magnitude or location but it seems like the duration of the monsoon might already be affected.  It does make me wonder if the tropical precipitation moving north might manage to salvage the LA to Phoenix to El Paso ish area of the desert southwest from drying out to uninhabitability.  South of us here in Mexico there are climates where it's 70-80 hot and dry all winter long and their only precipitation is the summer monsoon.  Maybe that climate band will just move north.  But that is total speculation and I'd love to hear if anyone has any info on research in that area.

I've been taking a few biology classes lately and it gives me some interesting ideas about the plants here.  I'm not sure any of them really care when it rains.  They can wait a loooooong time and will take whatever they can get whenever it arrives.  There is the typical time of year that most of the prickly pears or saguaros or palo verdes or what have you flower, but then there are always a few individuals that flower at wierd times.  Palo verdes usually go off in April but I see maybe one in a hundred flowering now.  Those are the few individuals ready to propogate their superior flowering time genes in case the precipitation patterns ever really do change their timing dramatically.  I think because of these features and the hardiness of the plants in other areas, the ecosphere here is probably better suited than many to adapt to whatever climate change may throw at it.  This place can already go a decade without significant precipitation and burst back to life when the opportunity arises.  But that is also speculation and maybe a little bit off topic.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: September 16, 2014, 08:17:26 PM »
Per meteorologist Eric Holthaus, flash flooding events like this do little to help the drought. 

"When it rains this much this quickly in the desert, most of the water makes its way into dry creek beds and river systems, failing to recharge the dwindling water table. According to the National Weather Service, it would take three more days like today to end the drought in the Phoenix area. In California’s Central Valley, where the drought is even worse, hardly any rain fell today."

http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2014/09/08/hurricane_norbert_remnants_flood_phoenix_with_record_breaking_rainfall.html

This chart from July shows how much rain must be received in one month to relieve various drought areas.

Shared Humanity

« Reply #477 on: September 16, 2014, 09:34:45 PM »

Clare

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #478 on: September 16, 2014, 10:34:58 PM »
I thought this a surprising & apparently unexpected ramification from an unusually warm winter at the bottom of NZ's South Island. This province has recently greatly expanded its dairy farming sector.
The mild winter is being blamed for the death of up to 300 dairy cows that ate swede leaves containing high levels of toxic glucosinolates.

http://home.nzcity.co.nz/news/article.aspx?id=193647&fm=newsmain%2Cnrhl

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/farming/sheep/10506863/Swede-poisoning-fears-spread-to-sheep

viddaloo

• Nilas ice
  • Hardanger Sometimes
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: September 16, 2014, 11:47:06 PM »
Clare, that reminds me, something I've been thinking about for the last couple of days. Here in Hardanger, Norway, there's no blueberries at lower altitudes, following a record warm Winter with no snow since well before Easter. Grasping for explanations, I first blamed the mice, more numerous than ever because of the early Spring. Their gestation period is less than 4 weeks, so they multiply many, many times during a hot Spring and Summer like 2014. Either they ate all the berries, or the lack of snow was directly causing the lack of berries. I dunno. Higher up, there are lots of berries, even now in September. I met hikers who climbed the hills and mountains last week just to find blueberries.

I expect to find lots of minor and major collapses like these, whatever their causes, in the years to come, and I also expect a multitude of causes to accomplish even more dire collapses. At the moment, birds of prey are prosperous, though, and a wanderer must be careful not to rest for too long, as eagle wings are pretty soon audible nearby.
[]

jbatteen

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #480 on: September 17, 2014, 01:27:50 AM »
Another tropical depression is forming with models tracking it straight up the Baja coast yet again.  It seems a little crazy but then again, given two in a row already, maybe whatever large-scale setup is in place directing these things is sticking around for a bit.  Meanwhile waters in the Gulf of California are 90 degrees, feeding more energy and moisture into Odile as she prepares to make havoc in the desert.

"According to the National Weather Service, it would take three more days like today to end the drought in the Phoenix area. In California’s Central Valley, where the drought is even worse, hardly any rain fell today."

This was written about Norbert, and Odile is now on the way.  If we get yet another tropical storm up this way as the models are hinting at, it's not impossible we could wipe out the drought here in SE AZ.  Fingers crossed!  Maybe if that fails, an El Nino winter will make up the difference.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: September 30, 2014, 01:57:01 PM »
Studies showing attribution of extreme weather events to climate change (or not) start to pile up.

The savage heat waves that struck Australia last year were almost certainly a direct consequence of greenhouse gases released by human activity, researchers said Monday. It is perhaps the most definitive statement climate scientists have made tying a specific weather event to global warming.
The new reports come as scientists, responding to popular demand, are trying to speed up their analysis of extreme weather events and the role of greenhouse gases.

It used to take them years to come to a clear view of any particular event; now, papers are being published within several months. By sometime next year, researchers hope to reduce that to a matter of days, with three groups of researchers around the world training their sights on extreme events as soon as they occur, then putting out reports while the public is still discussing the aftermath.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/30/science/earth/human-related-climate-change-led-to-extreme-heat-scientists-say.html?emc=edit_tnt_20140929&nlid=38021197&tntemail0=y&_r=1

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: October 01, 2014, 03:31:34 AM »

Rick Aster

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: October 01, 2014, 11:22:01 PM »
A story that’s getting plenty of mainstream media attention today because of the high-quality photos is the mass gathering of walruses on a beach in Alaska. The coverage uniformly mentions climate change as the cause. At Newsweek:

http://www.newsweek.com/35000-walruses-gather-alaska-beach-because-they-cant-find-sea-ice-274530 Photos: 35,000 Walruses Gather on Alaska Beach Because They Can't Find Sea Ice

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: October 02, 2014, 02:53:23 AM »
Meanwhile, in the UK, September was the driest month on record and among the top warmest.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-29419202

Anne

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #485 on: October 02, 2014, 04:35:01 PM »
Meanwhile, parts of southern France have been suffering devastating and record-breaking floods. Montpellier is one of them. Though it's not the first time for them, it sounds far worse.

I'm away from home (in W France) on an excruciatingly slow internet connection so can't find decent reports but there will be many pictures if you can use Google. (I can't at the moment!) As I understand it, it's partly due to the Med being much warmer than usual. Some places have had 3 months' worth of rain in 3 hours.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 04:42:40 PM by Anne »

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: October 08, 2014, 03:53:51 PM »
And yet another record flooding in France occurred Monday night.
Ten feet of water in the soccer stadium.  Cars dangling from trees.

http://www.weather.com/news/montpellier-stadium-flood-france-football-20141007

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/weatherhistorian/comment.html?entrynum=308

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
« Reply #487 on: October 08, 2014, 11:47:47 PM »
And yet another record flooding in France occurred Monday night.
Ten feet of water in the soccer stadium.  Cars dangling from trees.

According to Yahoo! Sport, the extraordinary rainfall unleashed flash floods that swamped the Stade de la Mosson, home of the city's top-division soccer club, Montpellier HSC.

I'm guessing this joke has been made already, in fact, I'm certain it has, but shouldn't they rename the stadium to Stade de la Mousson?

Sorry, couldn't help myself...  :-X
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 602
  • Likes Given: 409
« Reply #488 on: October 09, 2014, 08:31:50 PM »
I was thinking Stade de la Monsoon, but I guess it's better to keep it all in French--makes for a closer pun, too.
"A force de chercher de bonnes raisons, on en trouve; on les dit; et après on y tient, non pas tant parce qu'elles sont bonnes que pour ne pas se démentir." Choderlos de Laclos "You struggle to come up with some valid reasons, then cling to them, not because they're good, but just to not back down."

icefest

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: October 13, 2014, 10:16:09 AM »
Just reposting from your post sigmetnow, this video was incredible.
Scary - I'm happy we only have snakes, crocs and bushfires here in Australia,

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/8vQMuwRjI6s" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/8vQMuwRjI6s</a>
EDIT: Embedding youtube is so hard to get your head around in this forum. :D
Open other end.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: October 14, 2014, 07:48:35 PM »
Normally mild-weathered San Diego, on the southern California coast, suffered from the heat this summer.  Residents who had lived comfortably without air conditioning were suddenly needing it most days -- and those without it are installing it -- straining the grid.

http://insideclimatenews.org/news/20141014/california-heat-delivers-costly-blow-coastal-san-diego

Shared Humanity

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: October 16, 2014, 08:06:36 PM »
Tragedy in Nepal as "astounding" amounts of snow from Cyclone Hudhud envelope trekkers on popular mountain routes.
http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/16/world/asia/nepal-snowstorm/index.html

Shared Humanity

jdallen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 650
  • Likes Given: 244
This space for Rent.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #495 on: October 26, 2014, 11:50:19 PM »
“The origin of frequent Eurasian severe winters is global warming,” said Prof Masato Mori, at the University of Tokyo, who led the new research. Climate change is heating the Arctic much faster than lower latitudes and the discovery that the chances of severe winters has already doubled shows that the impacts of global warming are not only a future threat. Melting Arctic ice has also been implicated in recent wet summers in the UK.
http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/oct/26/global-warming-has-doubled-risk-harsh-winters-eurasia-research-finds.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: October 27, 2014, 06:25:01 PM »
As Australia's summer approaches, October heat waves set records for max temps, earliest start, and longest duration.

The heatwave set October daily maximum temperature records at more than 20 stations but the duration of the warmth was also exceptional, a bureau spokesman said.

"These are all occurring generally about a week early and the extent is longer than observed before," the spokesman said.
http://www.smh.com.au/environment/weather/first-big-heat-event-melts-australian-temperature-records-20141027-11cczf.html

opensheart

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #497 on: October 30, 2014, 09:48:08 PM »
copied from a comment on Dr Jeff Masters blog.

200 year flood hits west Norway towns

Rescue crews and volunteers worked through the night to evacuate hundreds of people and limit damage as Voss, Odda and several other towns suffered the worst floods to hit western Norway in more than a century.

Areas hit included the town of Lærdal, which was partly destroyed by fire less than a year ago.

http://www.newsinenglish.no/2014/10/29/homes-bridges-swept-away-as-western-towns-are-flooded/

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: October 31, 2014, 02:48:18 AM »
Weather Nerd humor regarding the major atmospheric dip associated with the southeast US storm coming this weekend courtesy of a polar outbreak. ("Smokies" = Great Smoky Mountains.)

@ScottNogueira: -5.5SD 500MB trough equals extremely low dynamic tropopause height. Smokies be sniffing ozone. http://t.co/dztfjOvbDr

Article:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/wp/2014/10/30/halloween-weekend-vortex-means-mid-atlantic-mountain-snow-wicked-wind-winter-cold/

Gray-Wolf

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 131
  • Likes Given: 458
« Reply #499 on: November 01, 2014, 12:17:31 PM »
Well here in the UK we just smashed our Oct 31st max temp record by over 4c!!!! Thats not shabby at all and an absolute boon for all the trick or treaters!!!
KOYAANISQATSI

ko.yaa.nis.katsi (from the Hopi language), n. 1. crazy life. 2. life in turmoil. 3. life disintegrating. 4. life out of balance. 5. a state of life that calls for another way of living.

VIRESCIT VULNERE VIRTUS